Dan & Phil Part 22: #rubberupfordan

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Cora
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh

IckleMissMayhem wrote:
Cora wrote:For those on the fence about ISG, (ok so I loved it to begin with so there's some bias), I just drank all vodka in Los Angeles and rewatched it and I love it even more than before so my advice to you if you're still meh on this video is um...do as Dan (and I) hath done and drink up.

*Disclaimer: if you are 12, do not do as Dan and I hath done.
Stay away from the tattooist! ;)
DryCereal
koi pond
Pronouns: she/her

Cora wrote:
IckleMissMayhem wrote:
Cora wrote:For those on the fence about ISG, (ok so I loved it to begin with so there's some bias), I just drank all vodka in Los Angeles and rewatched it and I love it even more than before so my advice to you if you're still meh on this video is um...do as Dan (and I) hath done and drink up.

*Disclaimer: if you are 12, do not do as Dan and I hath done.
Stay away from the tattooist! ;)
"YES AAAAIIIIIIIII AAAAAAAAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (only uk peeps will get that reference, but eff it.) ;)

Aaaanyway, Kids, if you're going to drink, get tattoos, drop out of uni, make YT videos... do it safely. For Dan.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

Cora wrote:
Literally one of my favorite things to happen because of Phan. I don't care if it is real - this tattoo is!

I just want to put this here because cute and #PancakeShirt and yay.
But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

Maraeni
phillion/danosaur <//3

Catallena wrote:
I do wonder how aware Dan is of the fact that he is in fact very unrelatable to many people his age. Dan has lived a completely different life from age 20 till now than anyone in his audience of the same age. Like he missed some 'key' life experiences like completing his studies, being a broke ass 20 something, job hunting, that kinda stuff. Of course he does have the drop out thing (that actually made him ~relatable~ to me when I dropped out myself) but it's not really a relevant experience anymore considering life has gone a lot better for him than it has for 90% of other dropouts. Dropping out presented him with very little consequences in the end.

Dan is successful, holds a good job, and has loads of money. He's building up career from that job allowing him to present radio shows, write books and tour the world. He lives in a North London flat that isn't filthy and the size of a shoebox, can afford expensive designer clothing on a regular basis and goes to some pretty exotic holiday destinations (India, Japan). Of course he has worked for all of that and he also got lucky a lot along the way, but to the average person of his age it's completely alien. How can you relate to someone who buys clothing that's worth two months of your rent? And Dan isn't able to relate to them either anymore. He doesn't really know what drives the typical person of his own age or what they struggle with. But he knows about the typical teen because he was like that once. So he just focuses on that because at least he's able to relate to that part of normal life. Dan is not the only YouTuber who has this problem, most 20 something YouTubers do I think. It's why they all have their content appeal to younger people. I wonder if that bothers any of them, or if they're fine with it because teens are easier to cash in on anyway.

YES to this soo much! i know i am late and i have not read the rest of the missed pages yet, but this post made me react. I 100% agree with this!!! - resume normal operations...
"Right now, you are breathing manually.
You're welcome!"
Michael "Mike" Estrin
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

I find Dan's choice for Phil extremely sweet - unconditional love :platonic:
swofro
angel bean

I am super late at giving opinions about the ISG video and you guys have been giving good opinions and that kinda makes me second guess whether I should post mine or not so it's under the cut
I went in ISG with zero expectation although I am a bit afraid I'm gonna be disappointed because it is ISG, but I really like it! I think I like it because it is rather different from the previous ones. I mean, the old 'viewers sending in weird question, dan making joke, dan started drinking halfway' format is good when ISG started but it is getting a bit old now and not so funny anymore. There are some genuine advice Dan, which I like, and the jokes in the vid are at an accurate amount, not too much and not too less. The repetitive drinking half way thing also had been improvised to drinking from the start, so the joke feel a bit fresh. And Dan tongue peeking out reminds me of felucca's avatar. :D. Also #rubberupfordan, ofc
Tldr, I like it because it's different from other ISG.

I see that Dan had been going back to straightening his hair again, I hope he will feel comfortable to whip the curls out more in the future considering how much phans approve/love it.

Lastly, I hope we will get a DITL tour or Australia.
Love is forever
Phantasy
woodland creature

Danny is for sure growing out dem nails...
Last edited by Phantasy on Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

I'm not a fan of ISG and this one did nothing to change that. As always I watched it but probably never will again. I wouldn't say I hated it or anything it's just meh. No opinions are coming to mind despite watching it 5 minutes ago.

Re the relatableness of Dan and other youtubers.
I can't relate to any youtuber no matter where it is they are with their lives because they are a youtuber and despite my enjoyment of them that's not something that is relatable to me on any level. So even if someone is talking about having the exact same experience as me in a particular area or even if they have the same thoughts or opinions on a topic the fact they are talking into a camera about it and uploading it to the internet to share with anyone in the world who wants to see it puts them outside of the sphere of things I can relate too. Them and I are not the same or even similar.

So for me being #relatable has never been a pulling point of Dan's appeal. Although I do see how those who once related to him might not be able to anymore because I do think there is an element of misery loves company to the whole relating thing (i.e people who have the same failures as us have a greater appeal than those with the same successes) and there are not many areas of Dan's life that he isn't clearly winning at.
(Well we don't actually know about his love life because he doesn't speak of it and has had no public partner in 7 years but a lot of fans assume that's going swimmingly as well.)
Ablissa
pastel persona

blueapple_x wrote:Looks like he's back to straightening his hair for now. It's still a bit wavy but yeah.
Nooo, why Dan, why...
I loved the natural hair. I hope he goes with wavy/curly more often, it looks so much better on him, his hair actually has some volume then.

Also, @ Europe tour - I'm kind of losing hope about it actually happening, but common sense tells me that it will. I just really wish they'd not wait till last minute to announce it. I'm sure that myself and some others will be traveling to another country to see them (I don't think they'll come to where I live) and that takes a bit more planning - and money - than just buying the ticket.
Curious about the ticket prices, if and when they do come to Europe. If their prices will be similar to the USA shows, for a lot of places in Europe they will be way overpriced.
Last edited by Ablissa on Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

blueapple_x wrote:Looks like he's back to straightening his hair for now. It's still a bit wavy but yeah.
Yeah that's what I expected to happen, still a bit sad about it though.
sweetmm wrote: I find Dan's choice for Phil extremely sweet - unconditional love :platonic:
I think it's very sweet as well. :D
phamnotof
morning quiff

sweetmm wrote: I find Dan's choice for Phil extremely sweet - unconditional love :platonic:
I find this sligthly uncomfortable, there were only 3 choices, she claimed the 'Good fortune' one for herself, so it wasn't much of a choice for one of them to have to get the romantic 'Unconditional love' one - and seeing as one remaining was black and one clear, it felt rather well set up beforehand.

Eh. I'm a downer. Plus, Dan straightened his hair again, which has me in mourning, sorry. :D
human
dan hand trash

He did say he would paint them if they were unbitten, didn't he? I'm all about him making the effort not to bite them just so he can paint them. Le sigh.
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

human wrote:He did say he would paint them if they were unbitten, didn't he? I'm all about him making the effort not to bite them just so he can paint them. Le sigh.
I drew the same conclusion...if he ends up painting his nails, I'm unsure whether he will do it because he wants to or because he is sick and tired of certain parts of the phandom peer-pressuring him. We will have to wait and see.
fancybum
senpai

phamnotof: Unconditional love doesn't have to be romantic; when I think of that term, I think of family. I don't see any problem with it or any sinister 'set up' on the fan's part. They're just some bracelets for a more unique photo. (Also it's not like the thing said 'Unc love for my lover Dan', like it's completely general, just a positive phrase).
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ticia wrote:
human wrote:He did say he would paint them if they were unbitten, didn't he? I'm all about him making the effort not to bite them just so he can paint them. Le sigh.
I drew the same conclusion...if he ends up painting his nails, I'm unsure whether he will do it because he wants to or because he is sick and tired of certain parts of the phandom peer-pressuring him. We will have to wait and see.
There's no way if Dan does paint his nails it's because of phandom pressure. Those guys get pressured a whole lot more intensely to do a whole lot of things and don't crack - Dan especially. He does things he's interested in on his own time, and does them when it's his own decision no matter how much his fans want it. (see: recent hair experimentation.)
phamnotof
morning quiff

fancybum wrote:phamnotof: Unconditional love doesn't have to be romantic; when I think of that term, I think of family. I don't see any problem with it or any sinister 'set up' on the fan's part. They're just some bracelets for a more unique photo. (Also it's not like the thing said 'Unc love for my lover Dan', like it's completely general, just a positive phrase).
Fair enough, people might have different readings of 'Unconditional love', I personally tend to go with the most common reading when approaching these things, esp. seeing how people are reacting to it online - not necessarily here (though I think calling it a choice is giving the OP a bit too much credit), but elsewhere, too, though I don't wanna call people out. It's not that big of a deal, which is why I said I was sligthly uncomfortable, I don't know where you got the idea I was reading it as a sinister set up. My discomfort, for the record, does not come from the phrase itself, but the way there's very little choice left for them & yet it can easily be presented as "Dan chose a love bracelet" for Phil.
bluewho
truth bomb

Re: Jack and Dean
fancybum wrote:I've pinpointed the main issue (for me): they're two straight dudes making a joke of two probable not-straight dudes.
Exactly. And not for the first time. I've hated them since this at 10:29 and 11:05:
Something about their comment that they 'gay it up for views' just rubs me up the wrong way big time. For two straight guys to talk about pretending to be homosexual to get views as if homosexuality is just something you can poke fun at and fetishize for manipulative capitalist purposes??
:gg:

Re: Nails
Phantasy wrote:Danny is for sure growing out dem nails...
If he's decided to this because he genuinely wants to paint his nails :thumb: If he's doing it because he wants to stop the PAINT YOUR NAILS DAN DANNY PAINT YOUR NAILS DAN YOU'D LOOK SO CUTE WITH NAIL POLISH, then :facepalm: at the phandom. If it works and shuts them up though more power to him, I think he should deal with the issue however he sees best.

Re: ISG
In my opinion ISG video = meh.

Here is a bunch of stuff I agree with as to why:
Catallena wrote:ISG was good when it was the phandom trolling the shit out of Dan, not this real problems bull.
I agree with hazelnut it came across preachy. (also :welcome: hazelnut)

on the 'I am drinking' joke:
phamnotof wrote: I just didn't find it - well, funny. Like the only joke felt like the very fact that he was drinking and stopping and - meh.
Whether he was really drinking or not I just didn't find it that funny
trashqueen wrote:i didn't like the video, didn't hate it either, i'm okay with life guru dan as long as he makes it funny/entertaining too, this isg was just very meh to me
about summarises my opinions
missemma wrote: are Dan and Phil both sponsored by Doritos? jeez guys, you're really pushing those flamin hot doritos on us, both of you in a live show (more than once) and now in a video. hashtagspon.
Yes I also wondered this. It seemed out of place to talk about Doritos all of a sudden :lol: Also I love the dispassion on their faces in this create a cover

#rubberupfordan was pretty hilarious though

Re: bracelets
phamnotof I agree with you.

Re: Dan's relatablebility
I don't watch Dan because I relate to the issues he discusses, I watch Dan because I find him relatable as person. I relate to his sarcastic style of comedy, and his outlook on life, and his opinions. Ultimately, I relate to his sense of humour.
If he happens to discuss an issue I find relatable, great. If he appears to represent my own struggles with sexuality and gender norms, great. But I'm not going to stop watching just because he gets rich, or doesn't understand my problems. He should talk about what's going on in his life, whatever that may be, and I'll be here in the trash can laughing at every joke.
swofro
angel bean

bluewho wrote: If he happens to discuss an issue I find relatable, great. If he appears to represent my own struggles with sexuality and gender norms, great. But I'm not going to stop watching just because he gets rich, or doesn't understand my problems. He should talk about what's going on in his life, whatever that may be, and I'll be here in the trash can laughing at every joke.
Agree with this. I first subscribe to Dan because I find him entertaining, not because I find him #relatable, so for me, if his videos are entertaining, that's good. And if his videos are entertaining + relatable (to me), that's a bonus.

at this point, I'm not even sure what I am even trying to say. I'm sorry. Help me
Even if being relatable is danisnotonfire's biggest brand, I am pretty sure that there are people like me out there, that as long as he continue doing entertaining videos, I will continue watching him. But entertainment is subjective so
Love is forever
anathema
morning quiff

alittledizzy wrote:
Ticia wrote:
There's no way if Dan does paint his nails it's because of phandom pressure. Those guys get pressured a whole lot more intensely to do a whole lot of things and don't crack - Dan especially. He does things he's interested in on his own time, and does them when it's his own decision no matter how much his fans want it. (see: recent hair experimentation.)
I disagree. If Dan genuinely felt interest in painting his nails, he would have done it already. If he does do it (and I believe if he does it'll be mainly because of the phandom), it won't necessarily be "cracking". I think it's probably something he's willing to do, but he'll only do it because the phandom talks about it so much, if that makes sense. Obviously people tell them to do things, and a lot of those things they aren't willing to do. I think for Dan, painting his nails might be something he is willing to do.
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
Lurktacularr
procrastinator

anathema wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:
Ticia wrote:
I disagree. If Dan genuinely felt interest in painting his nails, he would have done it already. If he does do it (and I believe if he does it'll be mainly because of the phandom), it won't necessarily be "cracking". I think it's probably something he's willing to do, but he'll only do it because the phandom talks about it so much, if that makes sense. Obviously people tell them to do things, and a lot of those things they aren't willing to do. I think for Dan, painting his nails might be something he is willing to do.
Yeah I get what you mean.

I think dizzy was making the point that he'd never be phandom-pressured into doing something he was entirely against or just plain didn't want to do/had no interest in. Which I agree with completely. The tenacity with which we've seen both of them stick to their guns on certain issues testifies to this.

But equally I agree with you too - he does allow the phandom to push him towards/speed up something he was already ok with or considering anyway. Like in his dini anime vid where he says 'peer pressure me down in the comments' about uploading that anecdote. Its a jokey phrase but the sentiment stands - 'I might do it - harass me enough and I'll probably get round to it, or if you don't care then I probs won't bother'. I think there are 'hard no's and then there are 'meh's and he allows himself to be influenced by the phandom on the 'meh's cos why not

I quite like that about both of them - stubborn when they need to be, but flexible on certain stuff. Its low-key a very mature way of handling their audience.
I wonder how biology can explain the physical pain you feel in your chest when all you want to do is talk shit on IDB
annetamiau
lady door

anathema wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:
Ticia wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if we are wathcing the same youtubers. Come on, Dan and Phil are grown up men and barely interact with the phandom anyway (they only reply to tweets when they upload a video, and they haven't done Younows consistenly in like 4 months). By the way you talk about Dan, one might think he is a damsel in distress cornered by his horrible fangirls. The phandom wants them to get a dog, buy a house, have a child, wear dresses, glasses, hobbit hair, stuble, pastel clothes and other things that I'm probably forgetting. If dan paints his nails, it will be his decision. The phandom will have nothing to do with it.
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
anathema
morning quiff

Lurktacularr wrote:
anathema wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:
Ticia wrote:
Yeah I get what you mean.

I think dizzy was making the point that he'd never be phandom-pressured into doing something he was entirely against or just plain didn't want to do/had no interest in. Which I agree with completely. The tenacity with which we've seen both of them stick to their guns on certain issues testifies to this.

But equally I agree with you too - he does allow the phandom to push him towards/speed up something he was already ok with or considering anyway. Like in his dini anime vid where he says 'peer pressure me down in the comments' about uploading that anecdote. Its a jokey phrase but the sentiment stands - 'I might do it - harass me enough and I'll probably get round to it, or if you don't care then I probs won't bother'. I think there are 'hard no's and then there are 'meh's and he allows himself to be influenced by the phandom on the 'meh's cos why not

I quite like that about both of them - stubborn when they need to be, but flexible on certain stuff. Its low-key a very mature way of handling their audience.
All good points! I get what you mean with the whole 'hard no's and 'meh's thing.
annetamiau wrote:Sometimes I wonder if we are wathcing the same youtubers. Come on, Dan and Phil are grown up men and barely interact with the phandom anyway (they only reply to tweets when they upload a video, and they haven't done Younows consistenly in like 4 months). By the way you talk about Dan, one might think he is a damsel in distress cornered by his horrible fangirls. The phandom wants them to get a dog, buy a house, have a child, wear dresses, glasses, hobbit hair, stuble, pastel clothes and other things that I'm probably forgetting. If dan paints his nails, it will be his decision. The phandom will have nothing to do with it.
Agree to disagree
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
uglyamerican
woodland creature

bluewho wrote:
Re: Dan's relatablebility
I don't watch Dan because I relate to the issues he discusses, I watch Dan because I find him relatable as person. I relate to his sarcastic style of comedy, and his outlook on life, and his opinions. Ultimately, I relate to his sense of humour.
This. It's just that simple.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

anathema wrote: I disagree. If Dan genuinely felt interest in painting his nails, he would have done it already. If he does do it (and I believe if he does it'll be mainly because of the phandom), it won't necessarily be "cracking". I think it's probably something he's willing to do, but he'll only do it because the phandom talks about it so much, if that makes sense. Obviously people tell them to do things, and a lot of those things they aren't willing to do. I think for Dan, painting his nails might be something he is willing to do.
I agree with this. I think the reason Dan doesn't usually cave to fan pressure is because the fans are usually asking him to do things he either really doesn't want to do (like wear pastels which would ruin the aesthetic his built and clearly cares about) or that would require a lot of effort on his part and have an affect on his life (like a dog he'd have to take care of for years to come).

Whereas I think with this his mostly indifferent to the idea so when the fans kept going on about it he had probably just thought why not give it a go. It's not like he can't just take it off 5 minutes after showing the fans if he wants to or that it would have to be more then a one-off.

I certainly don't believe that at the same time his fans developed an obsession with him painting his nails Dan has also independently came to the decision it's something he wants to do for himself (if he is in fact going to paint them).
uglyamerican
woodland creature

annetamiau wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if we are wathcing the same youtubers. Come on, Dan and Phil are grown up men and barely interact with the phandom anyway (they only reply to tweets when they upload a video, and they haven't done Younows consistenly in like 4 months). By the way you talk about Dan, one might think he is a damsel in distress cornered by his horrible fangirls. The phandom wants them to get a dog, buy a house, have a child, wear dresses, glasses, hobbit hair, stuble, pastel clothes and other things that I'm probably forgetting. If dan paints his nails, it will be his decision. The phandom will have nothing to do with it.
Once the tour finishes up, I think they will return to a more "regular" schedule. I totally disagree with the supposition that D&P "barely interact with the phandom," wit the tour, ls, Twitter contact they make are directly with the Phandom. But let's face it, they need to continue to evolve to remain relevant in an ever changing media universe, so I think their content and method of delivery will change over time. It's going to be tough because their current content mainly appeals to a demographic that is fixed in an age range, while D&P continue to mature as humans and let's face it, tweens and teens don't want to listen to / fantasize about fully grown adults.