Dan & Phil Part 22: #rubberupfordan

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
opendoor
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she/her

It'd be nice for them to win, since they're actually eligible this year! I may have just voted from outside the UK what a fucking rebel.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
bluewho
truth bomb

Does this mean I have to actually expend the effort to register a BBC account to vote for them now, hardcore Yet writing 146 posts on them for a forum's np

re the rumors that Dan and Phil of all people are rude, here is an accurate representation of all my grains of salt:
but yeah sure, #DANANDPHILAREOVERPARTY :roll:

Oh and Ticia, as asked:
But I had to edit your picture because I just felt that it was totally whitewashing and unrepresentative of people of my color. I think it's important we represent all colors in our images so that we can have a diverse and inclusive community.
majitzu
angel bean

I like the photo. I like that we are having more photos. I feel happy. But... where is the gaming vídeo? Would they play a console game?
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

All I got from Dan's tweet is that they're still with the BBC, which makes me very happy because I want my radio shows back asap.

I think the reason why people think the AUS tour is duller than the USA tour is simply because there's less dates and because we've seen it all before. There's nothing interesting about them touring anymore really. I personally prefer this tour though because we're actually getting social media updates and the lack of that with the USA tour was genuinely pissing me of more and more with each passing day. And then we found out it was because of another book nobody asked for and I was just ready to hop out of the trash can. I'd much rather see and read what they're doing in real time instead of months after it ended in a book I'd flick through once or twice... But since they've been in Australia we've gotten two candid pics of Dan courtesy of Phil, a Phan sushi selfie, a Dan with curly hair selfie, a pic of Phil on a pig statue and the koala pictures. It's those little things that keep me here.

Though a new gaming video soon would help as well. Yeah I know PokéGo 2 was released like 4 days ago BUT STILL. Wrap up Undertale already. :sideeye:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
sia
living flop

idk I just thought it was funny :lol:
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

majitzu wrote:I like the photo. I like that we are having more photos. I feel happy. But... where is the gaming vídeo? Would they play a console game?
The Pokémon Go video was uploaded 5 days ago, give them a rest :lol: But I agree with Catallena, Undertale needs to be finished, and needs to be finished ASAP.

Sia, +1 and I may add "Dan being subtly sassy to rude people"
majitzu
angel bean

Ticia wrote:
majitzu wrote:I like the photo. I like that we are having more photos. I feel happy. But... where is the gaming vídeo? Would they play a console game?
The Pokémon Go video was uploaded 5 days ago, give them a rest :lol: But I agree with Catallena, Undertale needs to be finished, and needs to be finished ASAP.

Sia, +1 and I may add "Dan being subtly sassy to rude people"
Oh yeah? I have forgot of it. Well I can wait, I have to study a lot :c
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

Ticia wrote: Sia, +1 and I may add "Dan being subtly sassy to rude people"
I love subtly sassy!Dan, I get a ood laugh of it.

I'm sad that I can't vote for them :cry:

So far AUS has looked more interesting for me with all the selfies and tweets agreed that M&G seems more boring and he have the lack of people waiting outside to take photos with them/of their buses to bitch about so that might weight in, I do feel a little bit disconnected/bored with them but I can see that's mostly my fault bc my life is very busy atm and I don't have much time to do anything but read this website and like their tweets but I noticed that idb is slowing down a bit, not that much but still.

- ohh, can we talk about something? I've felt this more than before but I don't think we focused on this specifically here before:
A lot of people (including me) feel like something might change after this year/tatinof ends, I guess the feeling seems to come from how they have been more comfortable touching/interacting with each other, talking about the other in live shows and social medias. I've seen some people talk about how it might just be the affect of being even more close in the tour (cramped buses/hotels and being around each other all the time, not just staying in their own rooms) and how it just made them even closer friends than before but like nothing will change when this year ends.
Do you guys have the same feelings? Where do you think it comes from? What do you think might change?
(am I reaching? I just really really want to see everyone's take on it no matter what you believe they are)
fancy_nancy
phabergé

LurkingTrash wrote: Do you guys have the same feelings? Where do you think it comes from? What do you think might change?
(am I reaching? I just really really want to see everyone's take on it no matter what you believe they are)
I don't think you're reaching bc aaaalll of this kind of feels like closing a chapter, now, how it's going to change idk but i really just want them to make content they actually enjoy creating bc i'm p sure that would be better than what they're making now.
uglyamerican
woodland creature

bluewho wrote:Seeing as you are all clearly desperate Is he fishing for votes?
Naw, he's going for an easy post with a dash of irony...
uglyamerican
woodland creature

Ticia wrote:
Not that I'm checking out Dan's butt, but he's filling the jeans nicely ;) (I think he's lost some weight....)
uglyamerican
woodland creature

Re: Phandom boredom: IDK, the Aus segment of the tour does seem less exciting. I think part of the reason is(was) the lack of fan selfies, but it seemed that while on the US tour, we were more involved in tracking them on their travel between the cities and venues. Perhaps it was because the show dates were closer together and presented more opportunities for new material and topics to speculate about discuss?
fancybum
senpai

You know you can quote multiple things in one post, right? Just fyi.

And I'm going to wait to predict anything for 2017 until we get a sense of what the new 'normal' is from September on (hopefully the 'Europe tour' only takes like a week somewhere if it happens at all). Will they start an actual posting schedule for poor DAPG? Will the radio be weekly again? Etc. Will they separate a bit (remember just last year in the Japan Haul Phil telling Dan to get off his channel already after 3 vids?) or continue molding themselves into a single unit across all channels/social media? I'm in either way.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
uglyamerican
woodland creature

fancybum wrote:You know you can quote multiple things in one post, right? Just fyi.
Noted.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote:And I'm going to wait to predict anything for 2017 until we get a sense of what the new 'normal' is from September on (hopefully the 'Europe tour' only takes like a week somewhere if it happens at all). Will they start an actual posting schedule for poor DAPG? Will the radio be weekly again? Etc. Will they separate a bit (remember just last year in the Japan Haul Phil telling Dan to get off his channel already after 3 vids?) or continue molding themselves into a single unit across all channels/social media? I'm in either way.
In 2017 Dan and Phil will wield their demi-gods of youtube status and petition youtube to let you combine two individual channels into one. The mutation from Dan and Phil to DanandPhil will truly be complete.
august
tol bean

alittledizzy wrote:Stuff like this makes me wish the phandom was as equally strong on the support for the creative side as they are the reality-based side. In other fandoms when things are slow the fic content gets hopping. Phandom is probably the fandom I've been in that focuses least on having a strong internal creative output.
this is a really interesting observation! i think that there's actually a lot of fic content being produced -- as of this posting, if you go to AO3, you have to go 3 pages back before hitting content from 2 days ago, suggesting that there's easily ~30-40 fics being posted every day. this may not be much in comparison to the classic megafandoms like marvel / spn but i don't think it's low. in fact if you look at this AO3 fandom statistics post (sexism and racism points aside):
http://centrumlumina.tumblr.com/post/14 ... ompany-the
d&p seem to be the 10th most popular pairing on AO3 in 2016. and this isn't even counting the places like wattpad (which i personally don't use) and tumblr (which i've noticed a lot of people exclusively posting at).

i think because the fandom skews so young, the fics that do get produced are earnest but don't interpret d&p the same way that an older crowd might. while we do have some amazing authors (you among them, dizzy), i find myself mostly frustrated at the lack of content i actually want to read and have given up entirely on browsing the AO3 tag. between the rpf and the general perception of the demographics of phandom (fair or not), i'm at a lack of ideas on how to attract the more experienced writers, haha. maybe we could study how 1d did it.
bluewho
truth bomb

Off-Topic:
*ahem* I hate to be the bearer of bad news but:
in case any of you, like me, get a kick out of reading train-wreck articles on Dan and Phil.

As a side note, I don't know about you guys but I thought the #awks in this magazine were #totesadorbz, and as ALWAYS cry-face emoji hilare. Additionally I simply can't even. #RIPplates LOLOLOLOLS. I mean, there's nothing more to say.

Except that Dan and Phil should sue.

Apparently we've been using the word 'Phan' wrong guys, we should have actually just used it as a substitute for Dan and Phil's names:

I thought I didn't need a picture of Dan and Phil's disembodied heads complete with sarcastic expressions, but clearly I was just mistaken:

Also never forget that....

This is how I feel about Shout magazine articles on Dan and Phil:
I would prefer a smaller number, like, say, 0.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

august wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:Stuff like this makes me wish the phandom was as equally strong on the support for the creative side as they are the reality-based side. In other fandoms when things are slow the fic content gets hopping. Phandom is probably the fandom I've been in that focuses least on having a strong internal creative output.
this is a really interesting observation! i think that there's actually a lot of fic content being produced -- as of this posting, if you go to AO3, you have to go 3 pages back before hitting content from 2 days ago, suggesting that there's easily ~30-40 fics being posted every day. this may not be much in comparison to the classic megafandoms like marvel / spn but i don't think it's low. in fact if you look at this AO3 fandom statistics post (sexism and racism points aside):
d&p seem to be the 10th most popular pairing on AO3 in 2016. and this isn't even counting the places like wattpad (which i personally don't use) and tumblr (which i've noticed a lot of people exclusively posting at).

i think because the fandom skews so young, the fics that do get produced are earnest but don't interpret d&p the same way that an older crowd might. while we do have some amazing authors (you among them, dizzy), i find myself mostly frustrated at the lack of content i actually want to read and have given up entirely on browsing the AO3 tag. between the rpf and the general perception of the demographics of phandom (fair or not), i'm at a lack of ideas on how to attract the more experienced writers, haha. maybe we could study how 1d did it.
You have a lot of really good points here. To me it always feels like there's just not a big hype for the creative side of phandom, but clearly there are tons of fics being written. Generally the amount of hits and feedback seem low compared to other, even much smaller, fandoms. But I'm basing that off my own prior experiences so my perception could be skewed. I just don't see a lot of conversation around fic (outside of the fic thread on here, which makes sense as this is a forum and the people that gravitate here want real conversation, and very popular authors answering the feedback they've been sent) as a general community and only really see it around phanart when something controversial is happening. I think partly it's probably just due to the nature of youtube fandom and how the emphasis is much, much more on interactivity with the youtubers than interactivity amongst ourselves as a fandom.

The part I bolded in your post is very true. There are so many WIP and so many very young-skewed plots and concepts in fic. I shouldn't act like they don't count toward the creative output, though - they do. They're just not what I particularly am looking for.
DeadlyNova
living flop

Just my input on the fic thing, as someone who has been in a handful of much smaller fandoms, the amount of fics that show up on the D&P tag on ao3 honestly shocked me at first until I realized that quality definitely is over quantity in this case. Many of the fics that show up aren't really my cup of tea at all and once I weed through all the ones that put me off either due to their content or the way they are written(bad grammar, spelling, very childlike writing styles in general) I often feel like I have read every fic that interests me. I know that can't possibly be the case because there are so many out there, but it is often very hard to find ones I'll like amongst the sea of ones I don't due to how many there are.

That being said I don't run out of fics nearly as fast in this fandom than most of the ones I've been in and I don't find myself constantly re-reading the same really good ones over and over nearly as much(there's still quite a few I have re-read many times, though), so that says something I guess. LOL
phamnotof
morning quiff

bluewho wrote:Off-Topic:
*ahem* I hate to be the bearer of bad news but:
in case any of you, like me, get a kick out of reading train-wreck articles on Dan and Phil.

As a side note, I don't know about you guys but I thought the #awks in this magazine were #totesadorbz, and as ALWAYS cry-face emoji hilare. Additionally I simply can't even. #RIPplates LOLOLOLOLS. I mean, there's nothing more to say.

Except that Dan and Phil should sue.

Apparently we've been using the word 'Phan' wrong guys, we should have actually just used it as a substitute for Dan and Phil's names:

I thought I didn't need a picture of Dan and Phil's disembodied heads complete with sarcastic expressions, but clearly I was just mistaken:

Also never forget that....

This is how I feel about Shout magazine articles on Dan and Phil:
I would prefer a smaller number, like, say, 0.
1) ugh. ugh ugh ugh

2) is it logical to assume that D&P (or their PR person, if they've got someone) pay for these? they've been featured heavily lately, always grouped together with a deppy shop add, and now the heaviest feature yet paired with the new book add.

so, yeah, cringe, and makes me wonder about what exactly they think of their demographic & who they wanna reach the most, because surely not anyone above 12 buys this magazine? nothing against 12 year olds, but - you know, esp. with Dan being someone who likes to separate himself from the conveyor belt Gleam crowd... Hm.
DeadlyNova
living flop

Every time I see something like this I remind myself that I was twelve once and bought a ton of magazines like this and I'm pretty sure some cheesey magazines circa 2006-2007 are still around my house somewhere and I cringe even more.
Last edited by DeadlyNova on Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
annetamiau
lady door

I would say the phandom is a bit different from other fandoms, in that not everyone here enjoy fanfic and fanart, nor are familiar with fandom culture. Similarly, phan is very different from most ships. My experience is an example of someone that has never been into fandoms, and probably won't be in the future. I'm mostly interested in speculation about real events that have to do with dan and phil, their past and the never ending 'are they/aren't they' question. That's the only reason why I started posting in a forum, and while I find the art cute and I've recently started to read some fics, it's still not really what interests me/keeps me in the phandom. Neither is their content, so going back to the previous discussion about finding the AUS tour more boring than the USA one, to me it is indeed more boring, but mainly because there's really nothing to speculate about (that I'm aware of).

PS: my post has to do with the fanfic/fanart discussion, while I wrote it down the conversation moved on.
Last edited by annetamiau on Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
kinemacolor
crusty sponge

re: creative fanwork

something i used to see the phandom interact with a lot that i don't anymore are fanmixes of all things on 8tracks. back last summer if you made something in the phan tag it would easily get 70 listens in a day or two, a few of mine hit 500+ of all things. i still make a few, but since about january of this year i've noticed close to no one's mixes get more than 70 listens given even a couple weeks, and it's actually quite disheartening. i have no idea when the en masse exodus happened or why, but one day my mix couldn't even hit a 100 and i was like :? just something i wanted to chime in with, not that fanmixes are the epitome of creative, but hey ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ something i noticed
Philena
blobfish

alittledizzy wrote:
august wrote:

You have a lot of really good points here. To me it always feels like there's just not a big hype for the creative side of phandom, but clearly there are tons of fics being written. Generally the amount of hits and feedback seem low compared to other, even much smaller, fandoms. But I'm basing that off my own prior experiences so my perception could be skewed. I just don't see a lot of conversation around fic (outside of the fic thread on here, which makes sense as this is a forum and the people that gravitate here want real conversation, and very popular authors answering the feedback they've been sent) as a general community and only really see it around phanart when something controversial is happening. I think partly it's probably just due to the nature of youtube fandom and how the emphasis is much, much more on interactivity with the youtubers than interactivity amongst ourselves as a fandom.

The part I bolded in your post is very true. There are so many WIP and so many very young-skewed plots and concepts in fic. I shouldn't act like they don't count toward the creative output, though - they do. They're just not what I particularly am looking for.
I often wonder if this being a Real Person fandom has anything to do with it? Honestly, it was so taboo to even write RPF a decade ago, it seemed as though you had to scour the netherworlds to find it.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I remember when Shout magazine launched and while I was at the mid/older end of their target audience agewise, I don't remember it being this cringe, but then that was 20 years ago. Meh.

On there maybe being some change in the air, I've seen other people mention it more than I've felt it myself, but now that they've brought out book(s) and gone on tour, possibly finished/gone on hiatus from the radio show, done more voice acting, a game app and the gaming documentary, plus getting more comfortable in their dynamic or however you want to describe being less subtle/more fanservicey... for me it's been kinda gradual and also inevitable. Just a lot has happened for them. I don't expect any huge change like stopping making videos, but I don't expect they'll go straight back to Radio 1 with the same type of regular show necessarily either.

If anything were to change, I'd love the gaming channel to have a boost of interest from them like how energetic they were over Donkey Kong, for example, though again I only noticed the difference from people discussing it here. Something like that might have been too subtle change for them too, or they might know they don't feel the same way about it as they did when they started, but not that people have noticed a change in how into it they seem.