Dan & Phil Part 22: #rubberupfordan

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Found this on Twitter
anathema
morning quiff
Pronouns: she/her

SquishPhan wrote:
Ticia wrote:SO, ABOUT THE EUROPEAN TOUR:
Same!
(Me too, though. I feel bad for everyone over in Europe!)
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
Lurktacularr
procrastinator

Interesting, it seems like this ISG has us split down the middle.

I'm in the camp of 'don't normally care for ISGs but really enjoyed this one' and I think a large amount of that came from the drinking, lol.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks he faked it? Why would he bother? He even had to park it half way through cos he realised it was too much lol. Like, I feel like you could tell he was buzzed part way in, and in a fairly subtle way too. Just a bit giggly and loud and stumbling over his words a little. I mean the fact that someone (I forget who, sorry) said they didn't understand why he didn't fake it more... I think cos it was genuine and so a little more subtle?

Also he didn't actually drink THAT much - if you look, the bottle isn't full when he starts. I think he probably drank about 1/4 of that bottle which, for a 6'3 guy of 25, isn't all that much. Like, that basically describes a lot of my mates, and they wouldn't be seen off by that much vodka. They'd just be tipsy, as I think he was.

Anyway tl;dr i think he was really drinking and it made him a little more natural and uninhibited hence I enjoyed this ISG wayyyyy more than usual
I wonder how biology can explain the physical pain you feel in your chest when all you want to do is talk shit on IDB
fancy_nancy
phabergé

i liked isg, but i was like, i'm p sure he's said before that he hates vodka so i found this aaaand he was probably drinking water :roll:
akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

I honestly think it's not shady? They were just joking about how they think their story is as good as tabinof.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I'm interested in the divide as well, I was actually so baffled that even some people who usually don't like ISG liked this one that I watched it again to see if Dan could work his magic on me now but I still dislike it.

It seems like many genuinely enjoy the genuine advice of newer ISG videos, but I absolutely loathe it. Fake lifestyle guru and teen role model Dan can suck it afaic. ISG was good when it was the phandom trolling the shit out of Dan, not this real problems bull. When the first ISG came out there were a few people mad at Dan because they thought he'd be offering genuine advice (when that was obviously not his intention) and there was some mild drama over it, but now it has become exactly the format the original ISG wasn't supposed to be. Just with alcohol. No thank you. :?

Jack and Dean are assholes who can't be relevant or funny without name dropping Dan and Phil (BUT THEY'RE SO MUCH MORE ORIGINAL AND BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE RIGHT JACK?), but I secretly enjoyed the TABINOF shade.

God my stanning is taking on some anti form :') I swear I still love them.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
trashqueen
ar·tic·u·late

idk if he was drinking vodka or water but as lurktacularr said, he really didn't drink that much if you look at the bottle, that's not enough to get me drunk and i'm a 5'1 female (i have a high tolerance for alcohol but still), so if he was drinking that's probably why he didn't act drunk, he wasn't.

i didn't like the video, didn't hate it either, i'm okay with life guru dan as long as he makes it funny/entertaining too, this isg was just very meh to me

i'm too lazy to check who mentioned it, but to whoever brought up emma blackery, did you mean the time she told someone in a Q&A that they shouldn't care if their mom was homophobic because apparently their dad was cool? or some other lgbt mention that i missed? to me that's way more insensitive than what dan said, i don't think that comparison is fair at all

also nice one there danphil333 with the glass thing
Dan Howell wrote:'[someone] just sent me a message saying 'Phil'..... same'
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Ticia wrote::

SO, ABOUT THE EUROPEAN TOUR:
ikr. i was just talking to Human about this, this leg of the tour is going to have to be over and done with by the time youtube red comes out as it'll spoil it otherwise. the book is planned for release in november and ytr beforehand, so in my mind europe has to be in either september or october. they're leaving it very late for the announcement (if there even if one) & not giving us much time to plan stuff. i hope they say something soon, even if it's to announce they couldn't pull it off (highly unlikely). ive been checking ticket sites every day!
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

Amiaw wrote: Found this on Twitter
Yeah, this really annoys me actually. For one thing, it's unprofessional - implying your coworkers, who may or may not be hiding a relationship, are dating? what the fuck?? even in the clearly fictionalised setting I'm still just not comfortable with it - and for another, Dean's comment is patronising. They've written in a D&P ship type mention to get a fan reaction, then with Dean's 'like a fucking fiddle' are, what? Mocking fans for actually reacting to it? If they're more excited for a calculated mention of D&P than anything else you've done D&P may not actually be the problem here, just saying.
Ticia wrote::

SO, ABOUT THE EUROPEAN TOUR:
Yes, please give us dates!! If they announce and start selling tickets at the same time I'll be so annoyed, I really want to go VIP now but almost definitely wouldn't be around to get them if they did that. At this point I imagine it'll only be a few shows, which seems a shame, especially as they've been talking about/seemingly planning it right from the beginning.
karma_yeah
philussy

[quote="Catallena"]I'm interested in the divide as well, I was actually so baffled that even some people who usually don't like ISG liked this one that I watched it again to see if Dan could work his magic on me now but I still dislike it.

:( I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it, but I think it's just a case of different people like different things, so no worries, you won't loose your stan card :)

I actually enjoyed it. But my standards are kind of low. Anything less than a wedding video/Phil and I are in a relationship video is automatically a disappointment

I think he was actually drinking vodka. You develop tastes for things over time and the video clip was from a few years back. I hate beer and wine early on, but drink them fine now. Some folks thought he was faking because he didn't look/act drunk. He's a big guy, so I'm not sure you would see a huge difference after 4 shots. We don't know how long the time period of filming was or what he'd had to eat recently. I also imagine that he had some adrenaline going as he knew he was filming. I just don't think he'd have any need to fake it. He did slow waaaayyy down though, so I do think he was starting to feel it. But there's usually quite a lot between "starting to feel it" and actually being drunk.

As for the shot glass, my theory is since Phil had one from Gatorland, he thought it would be nice to get one to match. Not to mention it was a small, easy-to-get-home souvenir considering how many places they were going to be visiting.
What goes around, comes around Image
hazelnut
not a first-time poster

about the new isg - i don't typically like isgs, but i'm on the "enjoyed it more than usual" boat for some reason. i think it's the difference in format, like he's rehashed the wine joke so often in these videos that it was refreshing to see something different for a change. or maybe i'm so thirsty for content that my standards have completely dropped :|
Catallena wrote:It seems like many genuinely enjoy the genuine advice of newer ISG videos, but I absolutely loathe it. Fake lifestyle guru and teen role model Dan can suck it afaic. ISG was good when it was the phandom trolling the shit out of Dan, not this real problems bull. When the first ISG came out there were a few people mad at Dan because they thought he'd be offering genuine advice (when that was obviously not his intention) and there was some mild drama over it, but now it has become exactly the format the original ISG wasn't supposed to be. Just with alcohol. No thank you. :?
yes!! i miss when the fans would troll dan and he'd just troll them back. if the newer isgs were like his ones in 2012-13 then i wouldn't dislike them at all. dan's so preachy now (not even just with isgs, but with his entire channel in general - the exams vid, message for younger self, even the going deep aliens thing was on the serious side) that his videos are becoming more and more of a chore to watch

i think the most frustrating thing is that dan and phil constantly say they're coming up with all these brilliant ideas for non yt stuff (book, tour, app, etc) and yet the content on their channels is so stale. if they have so many ideas for things outside of youtube why can't they use some of that creativity to make entertaining videos like they used to do so readily? are they just uninspired in terms of their main channel content (which i wouldn't understand, if they're able to create so many things for their side projects) or do they want to change their format/presence on yt and are unsure of how to go about it?
wowza my first post i've been lurking for so long this is surreal
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

hazelnut wrote:
Catallena wrote:It seems like many genuinely enjoy the genuine advice of newer ISG videos, but I absolutely loathe it. Fake lifestyle guru and teen role model Dan can suck it afaic. ISG was good when it was the phandom trolling the shit out of Dan, not this real problems bull. When the first ISG came out there were a few people mad at Dan because they thought he'd be offering genuine advice (when that was obviously not his intention) and there was some mild drama over it, but now it has become exactly the format the original ISG wasn't supposed to be. Just with alcohol. No thank you. :?
yes!! i miss when the fans would troll dan and he'd just troll them back. if the newer isgs were like his ones in 2012-13 then i wouldn't dislike them at all. dan's so preachy now (not even just with isgs, but with his entire channel in general - the exams vid, message for younger self, even the going deep aliens thing was on the serious side) that his videos are becoming more and more of a chore to watch

i think the most frustrating thing is that dan and phil constantly say they're coming up with all these brilliant ideas for non yt stuff (book, tour, app, etc) and yet the content on their channels is so stale. if they have so many ideas for things outside of youtube why can't they use some of that creativity to make entertaining videos like they used to do so readily? are they just uninspired in terms of their main channel content (which i wouldn't understand, if they're able to create so many things for their side projects) or do they want to change their format/presence on yt and are unsure of how to go about it?
Good first post. I agree that Dan is becoming so preachy with a lot if his content. I feel like it has something to do with relating less to his audience and feeling more like their role model.For example I really don't like his live show endings where he says stuff like 'google meditation'. Its like, meditation is not a cure all and I don't feel like he has the right(?) to give his audience lifestyle advice like that (like he knows so much better than them). I think thats part of why I like Undertales so much because i feel like he's usually more on his audience's level.
uglyamerican
woodland creature

Kathrynxjane wrote:
[offtopic]in the UK, females now get HPV vaccinations at school when they are 11-13 because of the high risk of cervical cancer[/offtopic]
There is a big campaign going on in the US for parents to request their physicians vaccinate boys for HPV at age 11. It's sure to cause controversy with the anti-vaxers and religious nutcases.
bluebox-away
woodland creature

Woo loving the new thread name :lol:
I actually did think he was really drinking vodka, mostly because why bother faking it? He'd have to find an empty vodka bottle to fill with water and stuff and yeah idk. I'm sure by 25 he can handle 4 shots without being visibly that drunk, especially as it would take a while to hit him and he probably filmed the ISG fairly quickly. & as people have said, tastes change so he could be okay with vodka shots now (although let's be real who actually likes vodka shots they're gross :? ) compared to his hating it as a teen/student. From what I've seen/tasted cheap supermarket vodka is pretty grim so that could be why he didn't like it

[offtopic]Also it looks like shitty watercolour actually gave PJ that painting he asked for, it would be awesome if D&P got one of his pieces too for their flat! :D In reference to this
[/offtopic]

Edit: how the hell am I only just seeing this one? Very relevant today with #rubberupfordan also appaz Hector wore a Phan jumper to SITC today
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
hiddenwombat
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

i love how shitty's gone from infamy on reddit to just embracing the phandom so fully

a true beacon of light to us all. you change that target audience yas
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

karma_yeah wrote:
Catallena wrote:I'm interested in the divide as well, I was actually so baffled that even some people who usually don't like ISG liked this one that I watched it again to see if Dan could work his magic on me now but I still dislike it.
:( I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it, but I think it's just a case of different people like different things, so no worries, you won't loose your stan card :)
Yeah it's definitely a matter of taste. But I've been dragging the boys left and right for a while now, like I need to chill :') But I won't.
spaceguitar wrote:
hazelnut wrote:

Good first post. I agree that Dan is becoming so preachy with a lot if his content. I feel like it has something to do with relating less to his audience and feeling more like their role model.For example I really don't like his live show endings where he says stuff like 'google meditation'. Its like, meditation is not a cure all and I don't feel like he has the right(?) to give his audience lifestyle advice like that (like he knows so much better than them). I think thats part of why I like Undertales so much because i feel like he's usually more on his audience's level.
I do wonder how aware Dan is of the fact that he is in fact very unrelatable to many people his age. Dan has lived a completely different life from age 20 till now than anyone in his audience of the same age. Like he missed some 'key' life experiences like completing his studies, being a broke ass 20 something, job hunting, that kinda stuff. Of course he does have the drop out thing (that actually made him ~relatable~ to me when I dropped out myself) but it's not really a relevant experience anymore considering life has gone a lot better for him than it has for 90% of other dropouts. Dropping out presented him with very little consequences in the end.

Dan is successful, holds a good job, and has loads of money. He's building up career from that job allowing him to present radio shows, write books and tour the world. He lives in a North London flat that isn't filthy and the size of a shoebox, can afford expensive designer clothing on a regular basis and goes to some pretty exotic holiday destinations (India, Japan). Of course he has worked for all of that and he also got lucky a lot along the way, but to the average person of his age it's completely alien. How can you relate to someone who buys clothing that's worth two months of your rent? And Dan isn't able to relate to them either anymore. He doesn't really know what drives the typical person of his own age or what they struggle with. But he knows about the typical teen because he was like that once. So he just focuses on that because at least he's able to relate to that part of normal life. Dan is not the only YouTuber who has this problem, most 20 something YouTubers do I think. It's why they all have their content appeal to younger people. I wonder if that bothers any of them, or if they're fine with it because teens are easier to cash in on anyway.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
anathema
morning quiff

hazelnut wrote: i think the most frustrating thing is that dan and phil constantly say they're coming up with all these brilliant ideas for non yt stuff (book, tour, app, etc) and yet the content on their channels is so stale. if they have so many ideas for things outside of youtube why can't they use some of that creativity to make entertaining videos like they used to do so readily? are they just uninspired in terms of their main channel content (which i wouldn't understand, if they're able to create so many things for their side projects) or do they want to change their format/presence on yt and are unsure of how to go about it?
I 100% agree! D&P definitely have the ability to produce good content, so I don't understand why they aren't. I mean, I know they've been busy, but certainly if they only upload once a month, they would still be able to produce quality content. Their stuff is still better compared to some YouTubers, but it's not nearly as good as their videos from a few years back.
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
danisnotonphil
squish
Pronouns: She/her

Catallena wrote: I do wonder how aware Dan is of the fact that he is in fact very unrelatable to many people his age. Dan has lived a completely different life from age 20 till now than anyone in his audience of the same age. Like he missed some 'key' life experiences like completing his studies, being a broke ass 20 something, job hunting, that kinda stuff. Of course he does have the drop out thing (that actually made him ~relatable~ to me when I dropped out myself) but it's not really a relevant experience anymore considering life has gone a lot better for him than it has for 90% of other dropouts. Dropping out presented him with very little consequences in the end.

Dan is successful, holds a good job, and has loads of money. He's building up career from that job allowing him to present radio shows, write books and tour the world. He lives in a North London flat that isn't filthy and the size of a shoebox, can afford expensive designer clothing on a regular basis and goes to some pretty exotic holiday destinations (India, Japan). Of course he has worked for all of that and he also got lucky a lot along the way, but to the average person of his age it's completely alien. How can you relate to someone who buys clothing that's worth two months of your rent? And Dan isn't able to relate to them either anymore. He doesn't really know what drives the typical person of his own age or what they struggle with. But he knows about the typical teen because he was like that once. So he just focuses on that because at least he's able to relate to that part of normal life. Dan is not the only YouTuber who has this problem, most 20 something YouTubers do I think. It's why they all have their content appeal to younger people. I wonder if that bothers any of them, or if they're fine with it because teens are easier to cash in on anyway.
Interesting points, i hadn't considered this before, guess my focus is elsewhere. Although #relatable is part of his brand, it's not all of it. At least personally i watch his content for his sense of humour and opinions; yes, i can relate on some aspects, but that's not the main reason why i subscribed in the first place. I think even if he hasn't gone through certain experiences himself he does know what people his age outside of YT goes through, either from talking with his non youtuber friends or simply reading about it. Lacking first-hand experiences of some things doesn't mean one remains clueless that those things are happening and a lot of people lives them. ( I've never done taxes, i have no idea what it's like to deal with that, but from what i've seen and heard i already know i'm not gonna like it. I've never lived somewhere at war, but that doesn't stop me from informing myself about such places and trying to understand that reality. Just some examples). One can relate to others with similar thoughts and feelings too, not just through common experiences alone. Not sure i'm explaining myself clearly there, sorry

There's also the fact that some things are no longer exclusive of a certain age group, particularly on the internet. People in their 20-30s can be into the same fandoms as teenagers, specially with the revival of the classic fandoms like Star Wars and Star Trek, and with the comics-to-movies trend, while at the same time younger people are becoming more aware of a variety of real world issues like in politics and social justice. Age is not really such a solid divider today as it used to be.
Dan being slightly more comfortable expressing opinions and giving out real advice might be the beginning of a rebranding process, it's true that yeah he keeps getting mostly a younger audience but many of his viewers have grown up with him too and he must be aware that people his age is also watching. I do hope he's considering changing his brand up a bit tho what about Brexit Daniel tell me all about it
Always lurking, rarely posting
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

danisnotonphil wrote: Interesting points, i hadn't considered this before, guess my focus is elsewhere. Although #relatable is part of his brand, it's not all of it. At least personally i watch his content for his sense of humour and opinions; yes, i can relate on some aspects, but that's not the main reason why i subscribed in the first place. I think even if he hasn't gone through certain experiences himself he does know what people his age outside of YT goes through, either from talking with his non youtuber friends or simply reading about it. Lacking first-hand experiences of some things doesn't mean one remains clueless that those things are happening and a lot of people lives them. ( I've never done taxes, i have no idea what it's like to deal with that, but from what i've seen and heard i already know i'm not gonna like it. I've never lived somewhere at war, but that doesn't stop me from informing myself about such places and trying to understand that reality. Just some examples). One can relate to others with similar thoughts and feelings too, not just through common experiences alone.
I agree with you a lot here on not needing to experience something to have good enough knowledge about it.

I wanted to add to the discussion my point of view on the whole #relatable thing but bear with me because I feel like I'm having a really hard time explaining this:

I do think Dan is relatable, if you keep your focus on what struggles he didn't have and his career/money you might be looking at the situation one-dimensionally and only at whats not relatable to most of us.
Things like being socially awkward, feeling stressful about situations you didn't experience before, being scared of your future, liking anime and geeky things (I could go on...) are things that people will see in themselves and find it relatable enough to subscribe and feel a connection to whoever is voicing them because they're doing it in a way that will entertain you.

Also, I feel like he doesn't needs to be relatable now? Like, this doesn't needs to be something he stands on to attract more people. He was relatable, he was like other people and now he has more than that; he's successful he has money, he grew up as a person and dealt with a lot of his issues in a good enough way. He was relatable and now he's something you can aspire to in a sense that no matter your age or life stage, we all hope to be more successful, have more money and learn to deal with our issues in a better way and seeing someone get there (or get closer to there depending on your opinion/views) just gives you more hope. /That is also why I feel like it fits well him giving genuine advice at this point of his channel
opendoor
rainbow nerd

I liked ISG fine and I honestly think that the vodka was real- that's my Exact straight-vodka face. Also I feel like the whole finding it too hard to drink after four shots so just sticking his tongue in was a little on the convoluted side for a lie. Also he seemed a little looser at the end like he had been drinking though I concede that could have been an act.
Also hehe i was wondering if I was going to run into Deppy in Perth but today I was poke-going and I passed Troye Sivan. Turns out my reaction when I see a famous person is pretend not to recognise them while internally freaking out, good to know. He was with friends and he was playing too.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
blueapple_x
flower crown

Looks like he's back to straightening his hair for now. It's still a bit wavy but yeah.
Cora
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh

For those on the fence about ISG, (ok so I loved it to begin with so there's some bias), I just drank all vodka in Los Angeles and rewatched it and I love it even more than before so my advice to you if you're still meh on this video is um...do as Dan (and I) hath done and drink up.

*Disclaimer: if you are 12, do not do as Dan and I hath done.
DryCereal
koi pond

Cora wrote:For those on the fence about ISG, (ok so I loved it to begin with so there's some bias), I just drank all vodka in Los Angeles and rewatched it and I love it even more than before so my advice to you if you're still meh on this video is um...do as Dan (and I) hath done and drink up.

*Disclaimer: if you are 12, do not do as Dan and I hath done.
Stay away from the tattooist! ;)
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
idk
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

so they're still taking photos
edit: arguably he could have taken this one just 'cause it's funny

did they ever mention that the book was done/when it had to be completed by?

any chance they're still writing/adding additions/last minute adjustments? - it could explain their relative silence since being in australia/lack of tourist-y photos/sightings of them.
Last edited by idk on Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
phamnotof
morning quiff

I mean, getting stuck on this just proves how boring I found the video (morning after Pride, too, which proves it wasn't just cause it was bland in comparison to a day full of magic, and I actually usually really enjoy ISG) - but nah, still don't really think he was actually drinking.

Not that I mind. I think acting's a craft, and YT is definitely on that continuum. My reasons: 1) the disclaimer itself: "Have a lovely day of not taking comedy seriously bless you", 2) the fact that the bottle's full when he starts and yet you don't hear that satisfying sound that comes with opening a fresh bottle of booze, it just comes right off 3) he was sick, and if his antibiotics were "strong af" as he'd suggested, it would definitely not be advisory to drink on them.

And really. I don't think it matters. I think acting's fine, and if it works as a comedy tool, awesome, I just didn't find it - well, funny. Like the only joke felt like the very fact that he was drinking and stopping and - meh.

(The tongue dipping was v cute though.)