Dan & Phil Part 22: #rubberupfordan

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
DryCereal
koi pond
Pronouns: she/her

I did laugh at the piggyback clip. I did. I'm evil. Fite me. Definitely a combination of inertia, Dan probably not giving him any warning when he let him down, and our dear sweet angelbean being a bit clumsy. So close for it being 3 for 3 on the noticable mishaps on stage for each leg of the tour - Head vs Set in the UK, falling off-stage at Playlist, and now nearly being thrown off stage... :roll:
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

On body language, seeing them live onstage I was mainly surprised at how good they were at it, be it relaxed/comfortable in themselves or from being well-rehearsed, after hearing about all this awkwardness. Performing is different like that, though, and I don't remember any details, they were just really good at it.

Meeting them was quite surreal and I noticed a few things possibly due to finding it a bit weird. I forgot half of what I'd planned to say, which wasn't much to start with, and found it especially weird meeting Dan. He seemed incredibly tall and Phil didn't, he stayed more still while Phil, as he was standing on the side we all approached, had his arms open ready to hug as soon as I walked around the backdrop.

Also I remember Phil's reaction very strongly to the one thing I said, a wide-eyed, "Really?!" when I told them the card I'd brought to be signed was for my 68-year-old friend who's been watching them for 6 years. It shows how memory goes since that obliterated any reaction Dan may have made (also Phil was my favourite for months when I first discovered them so I was most looking forward to meeting him, that probably coloured the whole experience. I remember his hug was over too quickly and I don't remember how it felt, again ironically I think because I was looking forward to that the most, but I remember Dan's tshirt coming towards me).

My main impression was of Dan being quieter and physically lofty (also I was surprised how slim he is, I could see why he's joked that a strong gust of wind can knock him over). I'm not surprised that he could actually be 6'4" or more (I have two friends of a similar height and they both stoop). Dan was the one to say "thanks for coming" as soon as we'd taken the photo and even speaking to me with a smile, he seemed to be waving down from quite high up. Phil didn't say much else, but he seemed more relaxed and when I turned to him to say goodbye, his face was right there cos he'd leant in pretty close for the photo. It was Dan I handed the card to as I also knew he'd take the photo, and also him I gave the cards I'd written for them, so he was doing more and very calm about it all.

On recording in theatres, around 2000 I started going to the theatre in London fairly regularly and it's always been a very strict thing about copyright. Also they usually sell a souvenir brochure full of production photos alongside the programme. Since phones have come along people are snapping selfies with the set all over the place, and some theatres and production companies have relaxed. People still film and take photos sneakily enough not to get caught so I get why sometimes the staff are hyper-strict, but yeah, they could be nicer about it.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

Ok so who knows if this is some sort of weird relapse but I watched DITL and enjoyed and I've been reading here since. I'm just weird and I convinced myself that I was over them which I don't think was true.
Anyway, who cares about nail polish. I think Dan might have done it in part for himself. It is a fashion choice, and I thought his subtlety about just wearing it to a M and G was kinda cute.
Also, all of these 'Dan is straight' peeps- it feels like GG days (but not in a bad way; I like debate)
( sorry if I'm behind in discussion. I wanted to announce my return)
Also 1 more edit to say thank you for the goodbye messages!
Kathrynxjane
janice from the shop
Pronouns: She/Her

I can't believe the Aus tour is nearly over. I think it is because they are on the other side of the world, it seems to have flown by. I wonder how long they are going to stay over there or are they coming back straight away?
akui wrote:
mysterylovescompany wrote:
annetamiau wrote:I often wonder why it is that Dan wears winter clothing in the summer and summer clothing in the winter. Isn't it cold in Australia? Unless someone is holding his jacket, he's wearing just the weed jumper (which looks thin af), like in the DITL. I know they said they forgot it was winter, but he still has at least the diss track jacket that I remember off the top of my head. And what's with him wearing long-sleeved t-shirts when it's boiling (like during half the USA tour)? I don't understand
Brisbane is subtropical, so even if the temperature is low-ish, it'll probably still be humid. But yeah. It's the coldest month of the year in (southern) Aus and he packed no jumpers of his own. Dan, wyd? :lol:
Didn't they say in the recent ditl that they didn't know it's winter in as Australia and i would be so cold. Ikr if they were being serious or joking.
I just looked at the weather in Brisbane and I don't think I would pack jumpers for 20 degrees either so I don't blame them.
"You can't just pull it out and put it in without a plan." Dan Howell 2015
Winston
flower crown

Spaceguitar!!! Welcome back!! :platonic:
actions speak louder than words
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Kathrynxjane wrote:I can't believe the Aus tour is nearly over. I think it is because they are on the other side of the world, it seems to have flown by. I wonder how long they are going to stay over there or are they coming back straight away?
Wouldn't surprise me if they either stay a bit longer in Australia or go on a nice little holiday somewhere.
fancybum
senpai

SquishPhan wrote:
Kathrynxjane wrote:I can't believe the Aus tour is nearly over. I think it is because they are on the other side of the world, it seems to have flown by. I wonder how long they are going to stay over there or are they coming back straight away?
Wouldn't surprise me if they either stay a bit longer in Australia or go on a nice little holiday somewhere.
Omg what if they went to New Zealand for holiday (have they been there before?). Think of the selfies and LOTR-referencing captions, I'll cry.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
SquishPhan
capita£ester

fancybum wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:
Omg what if they went to New Zealand for holiday (have they been there before?). Think of the selfies and LOTR-referencing captions, I'll cry.
Now I really want that to happen. (And I don't think they've been there before, but I'm not sure.)
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

SquishPhan wrote:
fancybum wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:
Now I really want that to happen. (And I don't think they've been there before, but I'm not sure.)
Dan said he would be back before August ended, right?
fancybum
senpai

Ticia wrote: Dan said he would be back before August ended, right?
Shhhh don't crush our dreams. (jk)

Hmm I can't remember if they said or hinted at a return date though.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
uglyamerican
woodland creature

IckleMissMayhem wrote:I did laugh at the piggyback clip. I did. I'm evil. Fite me. Definitely a combination of inertia, Dan probably not giving him any warning when he let him down, and our dear sweet angelbean being a bit clumsy. So close for it being 3 for 3 on the noticable mishaps on stage for each leg of the tour - Head vs Set in the UK, falling off-stage at Playlist, and now nearly being thrown off stage... :roll:
Nailed it. +1
DryCereal
koi pond

fancybum wrote:
Ticia wrote: Dan said he would be back before August ended, right?
Shhhh don't crush our dreams. (jk)

Hmm I can't remember if they said or hinted at a return date though.
I'll just go and re-watch it on YouNo.... oh.

FUCK YOU YOUNOW, YOU SUCK.

:sideeye:
uglyamerican wrote:
IckleMissMayhem wrote:I did laugh at the piggyback clip. I did. I'm evil. Fite me. Definitely a combination of inertia, Dan probably not giving him any warning when he let him down, and our dear sweet angelbean being a bit clumsy. So close for it being 3 for 3 on the noticable mishaps on stage for each leg of the tour - Head vs Set in the UK, falling off-stage at Playlist, and now nearly being thrown off stage... :roll:
Nailed it. +1
Eye Thenk Yew. I suppose there's still time. One more performance tomorrow...! ;)
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
chloek88
spork

annetamiau wrote: And on that note, did you notice anything worth mentioning regarding body language? From the reviews I've read, I know TATINOF is basically a play and Dan and Phil are acting all the time, but still I'm interested in the impression that people who have seen them irl got from their way of moving, their way of speaking and so on. Thanks in advance! :)
I'm going to shamelessly quote myself from my review I posted after seeing tatinof in Philadelphia a few months ago
chloek88 wrote:Some shallow observations: Dan's voice is much higher than I expected in person!
Their legs are gorgeous. Honestly gorgeous. I couldn't stop ogling them.
People here have talked a lot about Dan trying to appear shorter than he really is. And I know they both have bad posture, but I noticed Dan not just doing his typical semi-shoulder-slump, but also slightly bending his knees at almost all times, which made him appear shorter. Maybe he's just bending them to keep them from locking up but Phil wasn't doing the same.
Phil really is adorable. He hopped around in excitement a lot, is a lot more fluid with his body movements than I thought he'd be, and was just generally very physically expressive in a really delightful way.
Also re vacationing after tour ends: I was rewatching Dan's last liveshow last night and he said they'd most likely be back by August 30. Plus, Dan's looking rly worn out in the recent m&g pictures and the reviews say he still sounds unwell, so I feel like they'll just be heading straight home.

Re filming: a girl near me was filming the show and honestly it was so annoying and distracting, especially bc the venue people kept shining their flashlights at her and she kept ignoring them. So I appreciated their no-phones policy.

Glad this place seems to be taking a more positive/productive upswing over the past day, since I feel like the past week or so here has been rough.
Winston
flower crown

Chloek88 and I had basically the same things to say about the boys irl. (see review in Milwaukee section) Dan's posture...if it can be called that, is so forced I found it distracting. Not only does he seem to want to look shorter, but just smaller in general. He stands the way a lot of models/actresses do to look thinner (I used to model, it is actually a thing we were taught) Curving your body so that there is space between your arms and your torso, gives the illusion of curves and thin-ness. (should only be used in photos, because irl it looks weird) that combined with the hunching over and bending the knees... so distracting, not to mention bad for his spine. I am surprised he doesn't complain about back problems. The moment he started speaking, I also noticed his voice was higher as well. That was interesting, although considering his illness I would assume those of you who went to the Australia shows didn't notice since he is still hoarse.

Phil was a huge surprise to me. I am more a fan of Dan's looks, but Phil in person is gorgeous. I have no Idea what the hell happens on camera but holy crap he was stunning. I mean i was amazed at what he looked like, I generally don't even find him attractive so that threw me for a loop. He is also super light on his feet and bouncy as well. I am surprised he is the clumsy one actually. But he has fast/spastic-but very smooth movements as opposed to Dan so I guess I can see it. My friend, said he moved like he had springs in his shoes. I think that was an accurate description of Phil's movements.

I have to admit, the other day I had a mild fit of sadness when it hit me that I will never see them again in person. I just wish I had a better memory. I am glad this place exists, so I can read reviews/observations as that helps me remember certain things. I tried to focus on certain things so I wouldn't forget, but it is hard to do with all the excitement and screaming and worrying if my friend would like it or think I was off my nut about liking these two dweebs. So thanks to all the reviewers out there! :platonic:
actions speak louder than words
bantstrash
delia smith

Kathrynxjane wrote:
I just looked at the weather in Brisbane and I don't think I would pack jumpers for 20 degrees either so I don't blame them.
I was going to say the same. That's a standard summers day in scotland. Not super hot "taps aff" weather (we save that for tropical feeling to us 23 or 24) but we would be wearing tshirts with nothing over them.
Kathrynxjane
janice from the shop

New Merch. I was waiting for the USA tour merch (Want the t shirt for the plane to Florida )

That galaxy set is very tempting though!
"You can't just pull it out and put it in without a plan." Dan Howell 2015
annetamiau
lady door

Thanks for your answers, Winston, chloek88 and flarequake (I hope I included everyone). :D
bantstrash wrote:
Kathrynxjane wrote:
I was going to say the same. That's a standard summers day in scotland. Not super hot "taps aff" weather (we save that for tropical feeling to us 23 or 24) but we would be wearing tshirts with nothing over them.
I didn't know it was that warm. 20 degrees is spring temperature where I live so yeah, not cold at all. Sorry I was uninformed.
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
Philena
blobfish

Kathrynxjane wrote: New Merch. I was waiting for the USA tour merch (Want the t shirt for the plane to Florida )

That galaxy set is very tempting though!
They mislabeled Dan and Phil in the US tour jumper section of the merch site
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

annetamiau wrote:And on that note, did you notice anything worth mentioning regarding body language? From the reviews I've read, I know TATINOF is basically a play and Dan and Phil are acting all the time, but still I'm interested in the impression that people who have seen them irl got from their way of moving, their way of speaking and so on. Thanks in advance! :)
Oh I love this topic so much. I have to admit when I saw TATINOF I viewed it more like two hours of clear full body observation of Dan and Phil while they did something they're proud of and invested in, more than an immersive show that I got sucked into. I enjoyed the show itself but yeah, watching them was the thing that was most fun to me.

I think I had a lot clearer observations immediately after, so I'm going to try and dig back through some old convos later and maybe come back and quote myself. But I definitely walked away from it thinking that they both had a more naturally flamboyant way of moving on stage than I expected. I think it's more noticeable with Phil because it's a much starker contract to him in videos. In front of a camera Phil seems to find some kind of stillness but in person his gestures were larger, broader, looser - and also more graceful than I expected. Dan's got the same nervous fidgety energy in person/on stage as he has in videos but you see more of the full body tics.

Dan's posture and generally just the way his body is shaped are also a constant source of fascination. He manages to come across as physically vulnerable in a way that most men his height wouldn't manage.
NarrysCanary
janice from the shop

The galaxy school merch is cool looking but I prefer the old school merch with their pixel selves.

edit : I thought you could buy things individually but it's a set, I would've maybe bought the notepad if it wasn't in the set
Last edited by NarrysCanary on Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:biheart:
phamnotof
morning quiff

alittledizzy wrote:
annetamiau wrote:And on that note, did you notice anything worth mentioning regarding body language? From the reviews I've read, I know TATINOF is basically a play and Dan and Phil are acting all the time, but still I'm interested in the impression that people who have seen them irl got from their way of moving, their way of speaking and so on. Thanks in advance! :)
Oh I love this topic so much. I have to admit when I saw TATINOF I viewed it more like two hours of clear full body observation of Dan and Phil while they did something they're proud of and invested in, more than an immersive show that I got sucked into. I enjoyed the show itself but yeah, watching them was the thing that was most fun to me.

I think I had a lot clearer observations immediately after, so I'm going to try and dig back through some old convos later and maybe come back and quote myself. But I definitely walked away from it thinking that they both had a more naturally flamboyant way of moving on stage than I expected. I think it's more noticeable with Phil because it's a much starker contract to him in videos. In front of a camera Phil seems to find some kind of stillness but in person his gestures were larger, broader, looser - and also more graceful than I expected. Dan's got the same nervous fidgety energy in person/on stage as he has in videos but you see more of the full body tics.

Dan's posture and generally just the way his body is shaped are also a constant source of fascination. He manages to come across as physically vulnerable in a way that most men his height wouldn't manage.
I have just so many feelings about Deppy & flamboyance. Gender performance is such a fun concept, and as you say, there's a lot more to them than meets the eye. I've not seen TATINOF live, but I've watched every video I could get my hands on, and the full body shots indeed are a goldmine.

We actually had a conversation about what that meant in relation to them yesterday, so I figured I might repost some thoughts from it.

I see Phil's flamboyance as the softeness with which he performs his masculinity, the gentless with which he asserts his control and strenght, the graceful way he moves his hands, it's almost ballet-like and such a contrast to how he moves in his videos. Dan's flamboyance can be flashier, it's the sassy way he juts out his hip, the teasing looks he gives Phil, the giddiness with which he moves and the way his voice is almost sing-song like.

I don't know how much sense this makes, but I just have a lot of love for the way they perform their identities and selves, they way their personalities and natures stand out on stage, they way they overlap in expression (because they do mirror each other occassionally) and they way they're in such contrast with each other at different times. Performing on YT is hightened reality in itself - but the stage lets a more natural, untamed energy out, and it really makes them shine.

OT: I haven't needed stationery in about ten years, but good god it's so PRETTY.
mez29
procrastinator

Philena wrote:They mislabeled Dan and Phil in the US tour jumper section of the merch site
Hahaha, nice catch.
NarrysCanary wrote:The galaxy school merch is cool looking but I prefer the old school merch with their pixel selves.

edit : I thought you could buy things individually but it's a set, I would've maybe bought the notepad if it wasn't in the set
I on the other hand love the galaxy stuff and don't really get on with the pixel design, so this is great for me. :D Same about the notebook/set though, I wouldn't really want a whole new set of stationery.
(+ the shame of having DAN AND PHIL written all over everything.)
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

phamnotof wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:

I have just so many feelings about Deppy & flamboyance. Gender performance is such a fun concept, and as you say, there's a lot more to them than meets the eye. I've not seen TATINOF live, but I've watched every video I could get my hands on, and the full body shots indeed are a goldmine.

We actually had a conversation about what that meant in relation to them yesterday, so I figured I might repost some thoughts from it.

I see Phil's flamboyance as the softeness with which he performs his masculinity, the gentless with which he asserts his control and strenght, the graceful way he moves his hands, it's almost ballet-like and such a contrast to how he moves in his videos. Dan's flamboyance can be flashier, it's the sassy way he juts out his hip, the teasing looks he gives Phil, the giddiness with which he moves and the way his voice is almost sing-song like.

I don't know how much sense this makes, but I just have a lot of love for the way they perform their identities and selves, they way their personalities and natures stand out on stage, they way they overlap in expression (because they do mirror each other occassionally) and they way they're in such contrast with each other at different times. Performing on YT is hightened reality in itself - but the stage lets a more natural, untamed energy out, and it really makes them shine.

OT: I haven't needed stationery in about ten years, but good god it's so PRETTY.
oh my god I love love love this topic so much, I love reading about how they move/sound IRL (probably because I will never gt to see them irl), I remember going crazy reading everyone reviews that contained little snippets about that. Please anyone who went to tatinof feel free to add to this conversation, it's so interesting!
(I have nothing to add but a plea for more people to talk about this lol)

Also, the galaxy stuff is gorgeous, I want everything!
stella
living flop

chloek88 wrote:Some shallow observations: Dan's voice is much higher than I expected in person!
Their legs are gorgeous. Honestly gorgeous. I couldn't stop ogling them.
People here have talked a lot about Dan trying to appear shorter than he really is. And I know they both have bad posture, but I noticed Dan not just doing his typical semi-shoulder-slump, but also slightly bending his knees at almost all times, which made him appear shorter. Maybe he's just bending them to keep them from locking up but Phil wasn't doing the same.
Phil really is adorable. He hopped around in excitement a lot, is a lot more fluid with his body movements than I thought he'd be, and was just generally very physically expressive in a really delightful way.
I second all of this. (I went to the Philly show too!) I was at the very top of the theatre but in the front row of that section (cheapest tickets ftw), so I was basically above them. Especially about Dan's odd posture, it really struck me how much he bent his knees and slumped. It looked a bit awkward, wouldn't that make your back hurt after a while? Phil was so great on stage and seemed quite confident to me.
Philena wrote:They mislabeled Dan and Phil in the US tour jumper section of the merch site
I'm not seeing this, can you screenshot it?
mez29 wrote: I on the other hand love the galaxy stuff and don't really get on with the pixel design, so this is great for me. :D Same about the notebook/set though, I wouldn't really want a whole new set of stationery.
(+ the shame of having DAN AND PHIL written all over everything.)
I agree, I love galaxy things but I think I'd get some extreme judgement if I walked around with merch.
~previously known as stella2000~
I hardly ever comment, but rest assured I read every single post. I am a professional lurker.