Dan & Phil Part 23: Let's just retract the fist.

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides
Pronouns: she/her

alittledizzy wrote:.

But lbr those two beds are as close as ones can get without being literally the same bed. No, wait - I take it back - I think the japhan ones were closer. But this is a strong second. And I love it - I love that the comfort level with the audience is there.
The Japan beds were together with 2 duvets, even I couldn't tell at first if it was one or two beds there. I don't agree about these beds though, imo they tried to make it as clear as possible it was two beds, Phil laying almost against the wall and Dans pillows being pushed up against the other wall. It doesn't show me any comfort level tbh, more of a 'quick they'll be analysing this, don't make it look like they're together'.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
vincentian
hobbit hair

Catallena wrote:I liked it but at the same time I have mixed feelings?? I'm into their PoGo vids for their chemistry and interaction while they chase Pokémon in a park. Mini DITLs. So I'm kinda 'meh' about it. That's really just my dumb problem with not being very interested in them individually anymore though.

That said, it was a good video :D Definitely rewatch worthy together with the other episodes. Dan was genuinely funny talking to himself (oh boy you're so funny when you're not trying so hard) and he was quieter because he was in public in a foreign country and he has enough common sense to not be too much of an obnoxious loud tourist. :thumb: And it did have some D&P cuteness, Dan buying medicine for Phil ("there you go you needy little shit" he says while not being able to hide the fondness in his voice and just the entire beginning and end of the video) so I can't complain too much.
bluebox-away wrote:
This sums up my reaction to the video
Dan acknowledging SW's tweet is incredibly cute!

Also, weirdly, there were a few moments when 's voices sounded so similar you could mix them up (in the this video and also in the Australian DITL). Probably because of phone mic and Dan's pneumonia, but it feels like they are truly merging into one person haha.
Winston
flower crown

Did he call Taylor swift a snake in the grass? :lol:
actions speak louder than words
Lurktacularr
procrastinator

I don't get Dan's 'tldw' response to Shitty Watercolour? Like I know it means 'too long, didn't watch' but what is he on about and what's it got to do with Hector's painting?

Can someone less tired explain what he means to my tired brain?
I wonder how biology can explain the physical pain you feel in your chest when all you want to do is talk shit on IDB
Philena
blobfish

Winston wrote:Did he call Taylor swift a snake in the grass? :lol:
Yup!
Lurktacularr wrote:I don't get Dan's 'tldw' response to Shitty Watercolour? Like I know it means 'too long, didn't watch' but what is he on about and what's it got to do with Hector's painting?

Can someone less tired explain what he means to my tired brain?
Too long, didn't watch
In other words, Hector's painting summed up the video!
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

I loved the video!
Fave moments were 'needy little shit' and 'joint custody'

I was very surprised that Dan liked and answered SW tweet! Nice!

Sneaky little shits managed to leave everyone confused with their whereabouts
I love that we got another pokemon video, I wasn't expecting it at all.

Also, sorry to be a sad trashcan but I miss Dil so much, I'm so hyped for wedding preparations.
000dia000
emo goose

0.00 The fact that Phil seems to be wearing a shirt in bed he would otherwise wear in every day clothing strengthens the theory that Phil, like Dan, sleeps shirtless and for the benefit of their strict bromance pulled on a random t-shirt for good appearance
1.18 "How many tissues..." am I the only one with a dirty mind?
2.34 "Consent that's important" did....did he literally call it that just so he could eventually say that in a DAPG video?
6.00 I honestly thought he was pointing out the store in the background with "OMEGA" on it and thought he was referencing "Omega verse" which is a weird kind of fanfiction and I thought that he was making another subtle furry reference ಠ_ಠ I am both a conspiracy theorist and study literary themes and believe in death of the author, this is subtext people *puts on tinfoil hat*
9.17 It's funny that Dan thinks Phil should be an instinct, which is treated like the Hufflepuff of the Pokemon Go Teams, while Phil is already a Hufflepuff and Dan also as I quote said that it was "cute". I remember in an older video Phil was disappointed by being placed as a Hufflepuff and was repulsed by the idea of being Instinct in the last video. Is Phil ashamed of his cinnamon bun angel bean nature? Controversial At least Dan can step up and defend the Hufflepuff and Instinct Teams! Phil, be true to yourself!
:cactus:
timtam
lady door

I was a bit apprehensive about a Pokemon Go video without Phil but I actually really enjoyed it! I liked that it was a bit more face paced? I don't know if that even makes sense but Dan was kinda always on the go, always talking about something and less time watching the phone screen because he's so fast at catching pokemon.

Dan was very defensive about wearing the black jumper. I still don't get it because it must be so disgusting under that in the humidity. Like he was wearing these loose thin shirts in Australia when it was cold and yet wears that heavy thing in hot humid Hong Kong. I don't get it

Boy he was not joking about the hobbit hair, when he got back to the hotel it was sticking up everywhere! And I loved that Phil immediately commented on it.

And Phil really did look quite sick, I feel for him having to fly back to the UK with a cold!

000dia000 wrote:0.00 The fact that Phil seems to be wearing a shirt in bed he would otherwise wear in every day clothing strengthens the theory that Phil, like Dan, sleeps shirtless and for the benefit of their strict bromance pulled on a random t-shirt for good appearance
Or maybe he just doesn't want to appear shirtless on youtube?
Whereisvinci
tol bean
Pronouns: She/her

I loved the video!! Great to see all the places I often go to in weekends in the vid :D Also the Penisula is such a prestigious hotel imo. Another thing I loved in this vid is Dan's hair becoming more and more wavy throughout the vid and Danny, almost everyone lives in tall apartment buildings and the one you saw isn't even the largest one :( I really like when foreigners are amazed by stuff in my hometown ;)
(This post is really messy sorry)
Nothing more to say so I'll just shut up
Winston
flower crown

Re: the hoody- maybe he's hiding something? Trackmarks? A hickey on his collarbone? All his tees seem to have bigger neck openings.. .just saying.

(I'm going to hell.)

Parts i laughed at that haven't been mentioned yet. Sorry (not sorry) no timestamps

The dolphin trashcan cut and the gasp as he got in the air conditioning, and the random dramatic closeups.

Also laughed at the put a shirt on. The leather pants. I got moist for you.... and of couse the joint custody... :D
Last edited by Winston on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
actions speak louder than words
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Not to start a war between boards or anything but please join me in laughing at the D&P thread over at PULL. Specifically the 2 most recent posts. tho i can't say i completely disagree with their opinions on the phandom

https://prettyuglylittleliar.net/topic/ ... il/?page=2

(warning for those who aren't secretly awful gossip forum lurking bitches like me; PULL is just as mean as GG so don't get your feelings hurt)
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
bear
hobbit hair

Catallena wrote:Not to start a war between boards or anything but please join me in laughing at the D&P thread over at PULL. Specifically the 2 most recent posts. tho i can't say i completely disagree with their opinions on the phandom

(warning for those who aren't secretly awful gossip forum lurking bitches like me; PULL is just as mean as GG so don't get your feelings hurt)
y i k e s. I'm gonna try to stay out of this though if they attack us.
akui
blobfish

Winston wrote:
anathema wrote:
manged wrote: After going through multiple tabs on Trip Advisor, I'd say the room matches The Peninsula hotel.
Yep, thanks so much!

It seems to me like they got the "Grand Deluxe Harbour View Room"?
It doesn't look like it from the photo the hotel shows (http://hongkong.peninsula.com/en/~/medi ... shx?mw=952) but it seems like it from the floor plan.
They only offer one floor plan though, they don't show it with the twin beds :roll:
A lot of hotels make a "king" with two twin beds and still consider it a single bed.
Thanks for sharing, i been looking through some photos that travelers took, i'm pretty sure is the grand delux room that you showed. You can pick between king or twin when you book. They just pushed their beds further away in case of another shitstorm like japhan.

Someone say the room is so cramped, it is, because hong kong is such an expensive city, so even a small hotel room like that would cost 4480 hong kong dollars (577 USD) :thumb: Quality living.
000dia000 wrote:0.00 The fact that Phil seems to be wearing a shirt in bed he would otherwise wear in every day clothing strengthens the theory that Phil, like Dan, sleeps shirtless and for the benefit of their strict bromance pulled on a random t-shirt for good appearance
i second that, in phil's 'reacting to old photos' video, he showed a picture of him waking up in the morning, and look, he's shirtless. My theory is that he sleep shirtless in summer? maybe?
joliefolie
tol bean
Pronouns: she/robot

Wow, had to log in (reattempted my password twice :D) to say how much I enjoyed that video compared to most of their content lately.

I thought some degree of heart was missing in their videos lately, but now I think it's actually that their editing has gotten lazier? This video was snappy af. Is this recognizably Dan's style of vlog editing? In any case, I know prolonging content is more financially viable on YT now, but PLEASE CAN WE HAVE MORE CONDENSED EDITING, GUYS. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

akui wrote:
Winston wrote:
anathema wrote:
manged wrote: After going through multiple tabs on Trip Advisor, I'd say the room matches The Peninsula hotel.
Yep, thanks so much!

It seems to me like they got the "Grand Deluxe Harbour View Room"?
It doesn't look like it from the photo the hotel shows (http://hongkong.peninsula.com/en/~/medi ... shx?mw=952) but it seems like it from the floor plan.
They only offer one floor plan though, they don't show it with the twin beds :roll:
A lot of hotels make a "king" with two twin beds and still consider it a single bed.
Thanks for sharing, i been looking through some photos that travelers took, i'm pretty sure is the grand delux room that you showed. You can pick between king or twin when you book. They just pushed their beds further away in case of another shitstorm like japhan.
Someone say the room is so cramped, it is, because hong kong is such an expensive city, so even a small hotel room like that would cost 4480 hong kong dollars (577 USD) :thumb: Quality living.
i second that, in phil's 'reacting to old photos' video, he showed a picture of him waking up in the morning, and look, he's shirtless. My theory is that he sleep shirtless in summer? maybe?
Can we talk about that? Because it seems pretty real
Imagethanks for finding this pic dizzy!

ex1:
-The bedside table looks pushed to the side

ex2:
-The bedside table looking pushed out and the frame of Dan's bed makes it look like the mattress was pushed too

I'd guess to appear more far apart in the video?
Also, before anyone comes for me I'm not saying this is them attempting to hide phan or anything, just interesting to note how they might overthink some things (rightfully so, I guess they are well aware of the many shitstorms of the phandom).
ps. just wanted to point it out that I wasn't the one to notice any of this, thanks to the people (dizzy and bluebox-away) who did and pointed it out to me!
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

Catallena wrote:Not to start a war between boards or anything but please join me in laughing at the D&P thread over at PULL. Specifically the 2 most recent posts. tho i can't say i completely disagree with their opinions on the phandom

Lol reading that was like a flashback to the good old days of the early gg threads. :lol: (That emoji is not a joke, because I did laugh.) If people posted those things here, they would be directed to the bingo board thread so fast.

New video was great. I remember someone either here or in the skype chat was wishing for more solo DAPG vids ... well, you (more or less) got your wish!
akui
blobfish

LurkingTrash wrote: I'd guess to appear more far apart in the video?
Also, before anyone comes for me I'm not saying this is them attempting to hide phan or anything, just interesting to note how they might overthink some things (rightfully so, I guess they are well aware of the many shitstorms of the phandom).
or they can explain it with "Phil's sick, i don't wanna catch it so I keep the distance"
kuensukki
janice from the shop

Am I evil if I say that I really enjoy this. It's a refreshing take on the phandom from people that don't know or don't love them and that's refreshing.

I can't even phantom how deppy appear to casual viewers. They sell books, gain subscribers yet their content is so average and boring at times. It's why whenever a new video is out we spend 20% of the time discussing the actual content and 80% of the time figuring out bedding and trying to find phan proof (Im guilty of this too). They don't give us much to discuss because their content now is literally mindless tags and quirky vlogs with little creativity or drive. I was introducing my friend to deppy last week and was unsure on what video to show him. I feel like I think a video is "good" when there's phan moments, fondness and great bants but to a new person this things aren't as appealing.

Deppy lost the youtube zing a while ago. Their content is mindless fluff that makes you happy in the moments but doesn't warrent a rewatch. I blame the branding part for that because it make me more privy to look for phan then appreciate the content. I also think it made the boys lazier because they can keep doing videos and add in phan moments (phil) or male attractions (dan) and the video becomes so much more Amazing1!1 . From an objective point of view their content really is average. They still pull in views and audience but again it's a very niche audience of young-middle aged women.

From someone who fell in love with them for their content it's sad to see that all I'm interested in now is their relationship and the ambiguity behind it. Their liveshows are also enjoyable but their core career path which is youtube has been downgrading a lot. Unless they step it up and start showing some actually creativity and work being out into the videos I'm still going to see them as average youtubers that got lucky with the fame and fandom they built.

(Sorry if this got negative but we seldom critique the boys content from a phan goggles/trash can removed perspective)
blueapple_x
flower crown

It looks like they also may have pulled the beds apart to use the outlet there (they have a charger plugged in)? In the hotel model pic LurkingTrash posted, you can't see the outlet between the two beds so maybe having them that close blocks the outlet.
akui
blobfish

Agreed Kuen, but I'd like to think that they got lazier because they are busy with all the other stuff. Maybe after the tour their content quality will go up again. Wishful thinking?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

kuensukki wrote:Deppy lost the youtube zing a while ago. Their content is mindless fluff that makes you happy in the moments but doesn't warrent a rewatch. I blame the branding part for that because it make me more privy to look for phan then appreciate the content. I also think it made the boys lazier because they can keep doing videos and add in phan moments (phil) or male attractions (dan) and the video becomes so much more Amazing1!1 . From an objective point of view their content really is average. They still pull in views and audience but again it's a very niche audience of young-middle aged women.
This whole paragraph is extremely opinion-based. That's definitely not to say your opinion isn't valid and you definitely have the right to hold and express it, but it's not fact. Quality (or "zing") is subjective. There is no right or wrong way to consume media, and no right or wrong reason to find appeal in their videos. You can't authoritatively say what other people find re-watchable. (I've literally watched the new Pokemon one five times since it's been posted.) I think what you really mean is that you no longer feel a draw to their content, you no longer rewatch it, you would prefer they focus more on content and less on their dynamic, and you don't like the direction their branding has gone in and think their content now is a downgrade. Which again: absolutely valid opinions for you to have. But they are not opinions held widely across the board, and they are not objective fact.

It's all right for people to grow out of Dan and Phil, or for people to miss the things they used to like but no longer see reflected in the content. But it's not Dan and Phil's responsibility to stagnate in their career path just to appease people who liked a specific style of content from them that they're no longer interested in doing, though. Not when what they're doing now works so very well and seems to make them and their fans both incredibly happy.

(I'd also argue that the audience is not niche; it's one of the most prevalent and well known, big spending, and most vocal youtube fandoms. In youtuber fandom terms, phandom is mainstream. Unless you are saying youtube in general as an interest is niche, which is maybe a fairer point but that's taking them back out of the realm of comparing them to other youtubers.)
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

kuensukki wrote:

Am I evil if I say that I really enjoy this. It's a refreshing take on the phandom from people that don't know or don't love them and that's refreshing.

I can't even phantom how deppy appear to casual viewers. They sell books, gain subscribers yet their content is so average and boring at times. It's why whenever a new video is out we spend 20% of the time discussing the actual content and 80% of the time figuring out bedding and trying to find phan proof (Im guilty of this too). They don't give us much to discuss because their content now is literally mindless tags and quirky vlogs with little creativity or drive. I was introducing my friend to deppy last week and was unsure on what video to show him. I feel like I think a video is "good" when there's phan moments, fondness and great bants but to a new person this things aren't as appealing.

Deppy lost the youtube zing a while ago. Their content is mindless fluff that makes you happy in the moments but doesn't warrent a rewatch. I blame the branding part for that because it make me more privy to look for phan then appreciate the content. I also think it made the boys lazier because they can keep doing videos and add in phan moments (phil) or male attractions (dan) and the video becomes so much more Amazing1!1 . From an objective point of view their content really is average. They still pull in views and audience but again it's a very niche audience of young-middle aged women.

From someone who fell in love with them for their content it's sad to see that all I'm interested in now is their relationship and the ambiguity behind it. Their liveshows are also enjoyable but their core career path which is youtube has been downgrading a lot. Unless they step it up and start showing some actually creativity and work being out into the videos I'm still going to see them as average youtubers that got lucky with the fame and fandom they built.

(Sorry if this got negative but we seldom critique the boys content from a phan goggles/trash can removed perspective)
Alright, this is going to be a mess
Kuen! I disagree with some of your points but I hope you understand I'm just trying to start a conversation/explain my views, you know I you.

I get your point, I really do, but I think it has a lot to do with feelings and perception.
I still think their content is really good, maybe we have a few off videos here and there and that (imo) is to be expected from someone who has been on youtube for so long, is/was in the middle of a tour and writing a book and, of course, creating creative content.
But I love it and I could point out a ton of stuff about their content that I like still but the thing about youtube is that people are more attracted by personalities than content, content is good but it takes a second place inside a fandom, once you're in (attracted inside by said content might I add) you will want to discuss other things, like, if I want to talk about their content I'll most likely leave it as a praise/comment on their vídeos or tweet at them, not much to discuss besides stating what I like/dislike, what I want to discuss with people that love them like me is things like bedgate and analyzing the way they talk and behave by themselves or with each other.
But what you said is still so valid, I do agree with you, the problem of people becoming interested in them only for phan exists but the narrative of only talking about that was what didn't fit for me.
Like, I know if it wasn't for phan I wouldn't be in the phandom, I just would casually watch their vids and still like them so much but it's phan that keeps me obsessed to the point of analyzing and discussing things online, to the point of entering a fandom dedicated to them, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
What I mean is that the shipping has a special place inside a fandom, if something is to be discussed it's this that I'm going to pick, not that I would love to discuss content but I don't think there's much to discuss besides how I feel about it and my perceptions? Behavior/shipping/analyzing adds another layer to it that keeps the conversation going for longer than it would if it was focused on content only.
I do have to remove myself from phandom thinking and reacting to think about their content in an objective way, it's a difficult thing to do when I'm so used to react to specific things to then look at the rest of them but when I do it I still think their content is good, well planed and thought out (at least imo) but that's were it ends, 'imo' isn't it? Content analyzing has a lot to do with either personal views and opinions or comparing it to another creators.
sweetmm
angel bean

I am content with what Phil produced in both AP & DAPG as they are the content I love and enjoy and continuously makes me smile/laugh. In the event I want to watch a more satire based or short film style I'll watch other youtubers that produces such content.

I am also not adverse to Phil producing something different in the future, as to whether I'll continue to enjoy it I guess I just have to wait and see
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

Bedgate (again): They could have just said that Dan can sick coz of Phil so they have separate beds especially that Dan just had pneumonia. Boys, we'll understand.

PULL: oh. Hahah. Those were my sentiments before I started watching D&P. Yup. I think the phandom was the cancer of youtube and tumblr (was coz admit it TOP fans are the new cancer of the comments section). I'll be laughing at them when they try to watch D&P out of curiousity. See you at the
kuensukki wrote: From someone who fell in love with them for their content it's sad to see that all I'm interested in now is their relationship and the ambiguity behind it. Their liveshows are also enjoyable but their core career path which is youtube has been downgrading a lot. Unless they step it up and start showing some actually creativity and work being out into the videos I'm still going to see them as average youtubers that got lucky with the fame and fandom they built.
I really don't mind their mediocre content because they're just my go to feel good youtubers. But I can't defend them from those who say that D&P is overrated because they are. As someone said earlier, they are like the Kardashians. I also get why some youtubers are annoyed at their fame. It's as if no matter how many quality content they produce, they can't complete with Dan or Phil. Unfortunately,I don't see their personal channels improving even after everything book related.
But it really breaks my heart whenever I watch Phil's old videos. He was weird but was full of potential. He's the misunderstood crazy artist. I saw a post of him answering the question "What is your dream job?" He said director or writer. He was on the right track!!
http://amazingphilvyou.tumblr.com/post/ ... gphil-vyou
I don't know what happened. But It felt like he wasted his talent and degree especially when they started the joint branding. I know people's dreams can change. But as a fan, I was rooting for him.
Phil can still fulfill this dream once he turns 30 and retires from youtube.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

kuensukki wrote:

I mean, I agree with your post. But it has already been established that I'm a mean gossip forum lurker and sometimes a bit of an anti-stan so I'm definitely evil :')

I love criticizing D&P almost as much as fangirling over any cute shit they do. The phandom always creates so much hype for every fart these two let out, while in reality D&P are really not as great and original as fans like to claim. They're white male mediocrity at it's finest tbh, especially these last two years with most of their YouTube content. TABINOF was basic af too let's be really honest. Good for what it was, that's all. I'll give them credit for TATINOF being a real stage show (though I have no interest in seeing it), but that's really where their creative genius ends. But despite all of that + terrible uploading schedules and basically disappearing from the internet during the USA tour (so that they could sell us another book about shit that belongs on Twitter/Insta yes I'm still salty), they always manage to come out of it with a fanbase that seems to love them almost unconditionally.

God knows how they manage to put so little effort into their online presence, yet don't face consequences. I guess it helps that they're both very likable guys (if they were douchebags we wouldn't be here) and well... Phan. Phan helps. Almost every hardcore fan loves them both, ships Phan and is just fascinated by their history and how the puzzle pieces fit togther. New and casual fans might still mostly be into their content but it is barely ever really discussed anymore amongst the hardcore stans. A few sentences, and that's it. You notice it on Twitter and Tumblr as well. D&P's ambiguity towards sexuality/relationships and the phandom's response to that is what keeps this fandom going. And what keeps them relevant.

Which is why the shipping post over at PULL made me laugh. Like there are definitely people who go 'THEY LOOKED AT EACH OTHER FOR 2.3 SECONDS #PHANCONFIRMED' all the time but... there's a little more to the ship than that. Phan is one of the few real life people ships that hasn't been pulled out of someone's ass completely, whatever anyone's opinion on their relationship status might be. I dunno it always bothers me when people put Phan into the same category as any random band ship. Maybe that's just delusional trash me talking though.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr