Dan & Phil Part 23: Let's just retract the fist.

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
bluewho
truth bomb
Pronouns: she/her

bear wrote:
Cora wrote:
So like, *actual* Deppy content only gets like a page and a half of discussion now?

Neato.

YES! I've noticed it as well but didn't really bring it up. I think it's because maybe it's just me on here who feels like this, but there's a different feel to deppy I guess(?) than a few months ago. Like the tour and selfies and other stuff used to be so discussable and now it's like "okay cute anyways..." I've talked to people about this and they feel the same way. What do you guys think?
I only really comment on stuff when I'm (1) caught up and (2) not busy with life stuff. I think when post content there is a sudden rush of posts, and by the time I've caught up anything I wanted to say about the video is off-topic But idk whether this is just me or whether it happens to anyone else, but this is the reason I weighed in on other discussions and but didn't talk about the video - the thread was moving slower so I could keep up, and then when they posted the video I fell behind a bit

I don't think there's anything meaningful behind the perceived lack of posts on the video? Maybe it was also because it was #spon and some people had negative opinions, so there were fewer people wanting to write trash posts?
Phantasy
woodland creature

blueapple_x wrote: Anywho, this caught my interest:

At 3:48
"I was most annoyed by seeing prominent PC youtubers going "ahh it's not a big deal guys, don't make a big deal about it." It's easier to say those things when your account's not the one that's getting hit a ton..."
I know it's shade to Ian but it did kind of remind me of what Phil said in his liveshow because of the topic. Obviously Phil was mainly trying to calm down those worried for their/Dan's channel but I can see where DeFranco is coming from and why he probably wouldn't agree with Phil's public opinion of the issue. I'm glad Phil at least addressed it though despite admitting he hadn't done enough research.
I think that prominent youtubers that downplay it are just better informed, which is likely in part due to the information provided by the new Internet Creators Guild that Hank Green started and Louise sits on the board of—Dan followed their Twitter a couple of days ago, and one of their recent tweets was an article to a detailed breakdown of the "de-monitization". Even though Phil said he didn't know much about it, he certainly understood the subject better than DeFranco before he launched into his tirades, which has 4x views than his typical videos—the ironic thing is he's using the subject of de-monitization as click-bait for views.
Cora
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh

I assume this is the table/view Phil was speaking of in his LS? Not baaaad.
(Again with their sky bar obsession)

uglyamerican
woodland creature

#beardgate reminded me of these two idiots:

sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

Cora wrote:I assume this is the table/view Phil was speaking of in his LS? Not baaaad.

Damn that seat is ultra romantic
swofro
angel bean

[offtopic]For some reason, medium.com is blocked in my country. Lol. Can anybody copy paste (or screenshot or whatever) that article from ICG because I am interested to read what it says. Thanks[/offtopic]
Love is forever
bluebox-away
woodland creature

sweetmm wrote:
Cora wrote:I assume this is the table/view Phil was speaking of in his LS? Not baaaad.

Ooh that does look like a romantic dinner setting, where is it? Haven't watched the ls back yet so idk if Phil specified the restaurant but I'd like to look it up

Also, as no-one posted it yet, Hector's picture of the beards is pretty great. He's really captured Dan's swooshy pushed back hair ( ) and I hope Dan responds or gives it a like
Now, fingers crossed for a great, opinionated Dan ls tonight to catch up on the weeks we've missed!
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
vincentian
hobbit hair

swofro wrote:[offtopic]For some reason, medium.com is blocked in my country. Lol. Can anybody copy paste (or screenshot or whatever) that article from ICG because I am interested to read what it says. Thanks[/offtopic]
edit: Looking forward to Dan's ls as well (but as always prepared to be put off haha. )
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

bluebox-away wrote:
sweetmm wrote:

Ooh that does look like a romantic dinner setting, where is it? Haven't watched the ls back yet so idk if Phil specified the restaurant but I'd like to look it up

Also, as no-one posted it yet, Hector's picture of the beards is pretty great. He's really captured Dan's swooshy pushed back hair ( ) and I hope Dan responds or gives it a like
Now, fingers crossed for a great, opinionated Dan ls tonight to catch up on the weeks we've missed!
That is Wildfire+ in The Peak. Based from Phil's scyther photo, they sat somewhere on the side and not at the corner.
daphenaxa
blobfish

vincentian wrote:
swofro wrote:[offtopic]For some reason, medium.com is blocked in my country. Lol. Can anybody copy paste (or screenshot or whatever) that article from ICG because I am interested to read what it says. Thanks[/offtopic]
edit: Looking forward to Dan's ls as well (but as always prepared to be put off haha. )
[offtopic]
LOL at that article.
Yeah youtube has been demonetising videos about diabetes, mental health, Syrian girls having dreams and LGBT issues but THEIR HEART WAS IN THE RIGHT PLACE guys. They wanted to fight terrorism and meaaaaan people on the internet!
The rules are so broad, unclear and sketchy that basically every video with one swear word or a "sensitive topic" could be demonetised but that ABSOLUTELY doesn't mean news events coverage/debate/opinionated videos are under threat!!!11!!!!
But it is ok now because they are sending EMAILS yes! To tell you your videos have been demonetised for 5 years without any notice! And you can appeal but that's just too bad that during the time your video is manually reviewed (still using those broad, unclear, sketchy guidelines btw, that leave entire discretion to the person reviewing your videos to chose if it is offensive or neh) you won't get any money and you won't get any compensation either because duh youtube is doing the right things guys, fighting against meaaaaaaaaaan people.

This whole story leaves me so skeptical because i don't even understand the benefits for youtube frankly. Given I don't understand any of their business decisions since they seem to always go against the things that made them popular in the 1st place: short viral videos, a relative non PCness, free access etc.
Like instead of demonetisation, can't they put those videos up for moneytisation for only announcers that wouldn't mind/would actually want to be featured before non PC videos? Not everyone's brands image or products are suited to pre-teens watching candles hauls. Maybe it could actually be an argument to attract different kinds of brands in promising them to feature before those kinds of videos that surely attract a different kind of viewers.
[/offtopic]

to respond to Cora and Bear:
I agree there are less reactions to their videos than it used to I think.
In my opinion it is a couple of things from maybe people having no time at the moment, to some very analytical and interesting posters that made good points and sparked some debate not posting anymore/as often.
But in general I think it is because none of the videos they have posted recently warrant a lot of discussion. None of them have any depth. We all fuss about how cute and happy and married they are but there is not much else to say. I think for the gaming videos it is normal. The pokemon go was actually quite well discussed and the monsters thing was a spon no one cared about. Usually imo their individual videos are more discussed but the lasts were a DITL (that was SO CUTE but also quite empty in terms of content) and an ISG, a format of video that has been discussed a lot and where there is really not much left to say apart that Dan really is going for that big brother branding which is really SAD.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
mio
#relatable

That beard picture really creept me out when I saw it on my tumblr dash (it's funny how I never see notifications for anything but catch Dan posting on tumblr randomly all the time :D )
On the one hand they look like two pretty average guys, but on the other hand... something about it seems just wrong.

Any hint about there being a LS from Dan or are we just hoping?
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
majitzu
angel bean

I saw this yesterday on twitter and Phil has reblog it

Lurktacularr
procrastinator

daphenaxa wrote: to respond to Cora and Bear:
In my opinion it is a couple of things from maybe people having no time at the moment, to some very analytical and interesting posters that made good points and sparked some debate not posting anymore/as often.
But in general I think it is because none of the videos they have posted recently warrant a lot of discussion. None of them have any depth. We all fuss about how cute and happy and married they are but there is not much else to say. I think for the gaming videos it is normal. The pokemon go was actually quite well discussed and the monsters thing was a spon no one cared about. Usually imo their individual videos are more discussed but the lasts were a DITL (that was SO CUTE but also quite empty in terms of content) and an ISG, a format of video that has been discussed a lot and where there is really not much left to say apart that Dan really is going for that big brother branding which is really SAD.
Couldn't agree more with the bolded part. Back on GG we'd hash a video out for pages and pages. Here its slipping to less than a page and I wondered why too.

Then I realised a huge chunk of us are the same posters so what changed? And I think its their videos, for exactly the reason you said: lack of depth.

Now don't get me wrong, videos being fairly surface-level is nothing new for Deppy. But if you look at recent (ish - remember who we're talking about here) posts you have the likes of:

- internet support groups
- ditl
- sims
- undertale
- tour/book shit

All of the above have been going on for forever and a day, there's really not a huge deal left to be said about them aside from some video-specific 'moments' etc.

In contrast, take some slightly fresher content such as:

- pokemon go
- diss track
- awkward fancy meal/NWW with louise

We hashed those out wayyyy longer cos there was new stuff to talk about besides 'omg [insert timestamp] CUTE '. I'm not being derogatory there, half my posts are like that, its just how it is when the video ideas are being recycled.

This isn't to say I don't enjoy the recycled videos (apart from ISG. Let it die, Dan. Lay that bitch to rest.) but there is just less to say about them
I wonder how biology can explain the physical pain you feel in your chest when all you want to do is talk shit on IDB
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

majitzu wrote:I saw this yesterday on twitter and Phil has reblog it

Well, don't they both just look fabulous Well done, phandom, well done
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

flarequake wrote:
majitzu wrote:I saw this yesterday on twitter and Phil has reblog it

Well, don't they both just look fabulous Well done, phandom, well done
I know, right? I found myself speechless when I first saw the image, it all fits so well. Good job, phandom, indeed.
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

mio wrote:That beard picture really creept me out when I saw it on my tumblr dash (it's funny how I never see notifications for anything but catch Dan posting on tumblr randomly all the time :D )
On the one hand they look like two pretty average guys, but on the other hand... something about it seems just wrong.
I literally can't look at the picture without cringing, it looks a lot like a drag king make up to me, very unnatural (probably because of their faces being very, idk, clean or smth), especially on Dan (with him being a tall lesbian and all)

also, uglyamerican, top notch comparison

waiting for Dan's ls to contribute to the discussion on Deppy's reaction (or lack thereof) to demonetizing because I have a lot of thoughts, but would like to make it as relevant as possible and not just an endless rant which, knowing myself, it would've become otherwise
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
anathema
morning quiff

Lurktacularr wrote:
daphenaxa wrote: to respond to Cora and Bear:
Couldn't agree more with the bolded part. Back on GG we'd hash a video out for pages and pages. Here its slipping to less than a page and I wondered why too.

Then I realised a huge chunk of us are the same posters so what changed? And I think its their videos, for exactly the reason you said: lack of depth.

Now don't get me wrong, videos being fairly surface-level is nothing new for Deppy. But if you look at recent (ish - remember who we're talking about here) posts you have the likes of:

- internet support groups
- ditl
- sims
- undertale
- tour/book shit

All of the above have been going on for forever and a day, there's really not a huge deal left to be said about them aside from some video-specific 'moments' etc.

In contrast, take some slightly fresher content such as:

- pokemon go
- diss track
- awkward fancy meal/NWW with louise

We hashed those out wayyyy longer cos there was new stuff to talk about besides 'omg [insert timestamp] CUTE '.
I'm not being derogatory there, half my posts are like that, its just how it is when the video ideas are being recycled.

This isn't to say I don't enjoy the recycled videos (apart from ISG. Let it die, Dan. Lay that bitch to rest.) but there is just less to say about them

daphenaxa wrote: [offtopic]
LOL at that article.
Yeah youtube has been demonetising videos about diabetes, mental health, Syrian girls having dreams and LGBT issues but THEIR HEART WAS IN THE RIGHT PLACE guys. They wanted to fight terrorism and meaaaaan people on the internet!
The rules are so broad, unclear and sketchy that basically every video with one swear word or a "sensitive topic" could be demonetised but that ABSOLUTELY doesn't mean news events coverage/debate/opinionated videos are under threat!!!11!!!!
But it is ok now because they are sending EMAILS yes! To tell you your videos have been demonetised for 5 years without any notice! And you can appeal but that's just too bad that during the time your video is manually reviewed (still using those broad, unclear, sketchy guidelines btw, that leave entire discretion to the person reviewing your videos to chose if it is offensive or neh) you won't get any money and you won't get any compensation either because duh youtube is doing the right things guys, fighting against meaaaaaaaaaan people.

This whole story leaves me so skeptical because i don't even understand the benefits for youtube frankly. Given I don't understand any of their business decisions since they seem to always go against the things that made them popular in the 1st place: short viral videos, a relative non PCness, free access etc.
Like instead of demonetisation, can't they put those videos up for moneytisation for only announcers that wouldn't mind/would actually want to be featured before non PC videos? Not everyone's brands image or products are suited to pre-teens watching candles hauls. Maybe it could actually be an argument to attract different kinds of brands in promising them to feature before those kinds of videos that surely attract a different kind of viewers.
[/offtopic]
I agree with the article that what YT was trying to do was good, but they executed it horribly. Like, horribly. I took it as YT didn't want people like Onision making money off of videos where he makes fun of serious issues like mental illness or self harm. Which is perfectly fine, except they were lazy and decided to leave it up to a machine to decided, which is why so many people's videos got unfairly hit.
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
melon lord
morning quiff

Heyyyyy all (I am trying to catch up from thread 1 so I'm lurking a lot, but I also read this thread since it's the newest)

Totally random post and I'm super sorry but in this compilation of vlogs from Louise with the boys in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a27f7XQ7 ... el=PewPhan

it starts at 8:29 (so sorry getting the hang of the forum still oops)

that guy Jack that was like "you were gonna say you and ..." (in context of "dan and someone else making out in a corner") isn't he Jack Howard? I had the impression he's kind of a jerk, from what other people say around here? or am I getting all confused? tryna brush up on my brit youtubers all over again.

anyway I'm sorry pls carry on I'm just trying to be active on here while also catching up so I don't seem like a stalker weirdo

OKAY I'VE TRIED TWICE TO EMBED AND I'M FAILING SO HAVE THE PLAIN LINK I'M SO SORRY FOR FAILING YOU ALL :lol:

fancy_nancy
phabergé

i liked the beards hahah why did everyone hate them?? i thought they were ugly but funny :lol:
also, saw this on tumblr and im dead Image
Lurktacularr
procrastinator

melon lord wrote:Heyyyyy all (I am trying to catch up from thread 1 so I'm lurking a lot, but I also read this thread since it's the newest)

Totally random post and I'm super sorry but in this compilation of vlogs from Louise with the boys in

it starts at 8:29 (so sorry getting the hang of the forum still oops)

that guy Jack that was like "you were gonna say you and ..." (in context of "dan and someone else making out in a corner") isn't he Jack Howard? I had the impression he's kind of a jerk, from what other people say around here? or am I getting all confused? tryna brush up on my brit youtubers all over again.

anyway I'm sorry pls carry on I'm just trying to be active on here while also catching up so I don't seem like a stalker weirdo

OKAY I'VE TRIED TWICE TO EMBED AND I'M FAILING SO HAVE THE PLAIN LINK I'M SO SORRY FOR FAILING YOU ALL :lol:
Fixed your link, and yeah that's Jack Howard. He's kind of a d-bag but he could be worse.
I wonder how biology can explain the physical pain you feel in your chest when all you want to do is talk shit on IDB
melon lord
morning quiff

Lurktacularr wrote:
Fixed your link, and yeah that's Jack Howard. He's kind of a d-bag but he could be worse.
Thank you for the fix!! I had it edited the way you did now without the s at http etc but it still didn't work :cry:
fancy_nancy wrote:i liked the beards hahah why did everyone hate them?? i thought they were ugly but funny :lol:
also, saw this on tumblr and im dead Image
Oh dear god I can't stop laughing

majitzu
angel bean

fancy_nancy wrote:i liked the beards hahah why did everyone hate them?? i thought they were ugly but funny :lol:
also, saw this on tumblr and im dead
Oh god it was enough to see that photo but now is a gif and I'm crying. I have go from the phandom is amazing to phandom why?

Im jk btw, it i was like why? but laughing... and cringing
swofro
angel bean

Martyn being shady on instagram
also, saw this on tumblr and im dead
:gg: :gg: :gg:
Love is forever
anathema
morning quiff

swofro wrote:Martyn being shady on instagram
(Also I know he's just joking and this means nothing but part of me is like "'while you're away' does that mean Phil (and Dan) are going away again soon? :sideeye: :sideeye:")
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
stella
living flop

Liveshow time!! His hair...
~previously known as stella2000~
I hardly ever comment, but rest assured I read every single post. I am a professional lurker.