Dan & Phil Part 23: Let's just retract the fist.

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

Extremely Off topic:

[offtopic]I was re-watching The sims episodes today and noticed how much Phil was at the controls for the first few episodes since he had played sims before - until It came to using the keyboard, which he hated. Perhaps the reason Phil lets Dan control all the games is because he just doesnt like the keyboard lol.

Also I would love to see his personal save files on the sims. He talked about silly outfits, polygamy, breaking up marriages, picking fights, the more interesting careers. I would die to see what his own sims get up to. Since he was in favor of picking random outfits and using a pre-made house I peg him as being more interested in the actual gameplay. Im a simple person, I just want to meet his secret agent who is dating everyone in the town and has a torture dungeon and cow plant[/offtopic]
Bassoonage
drama llama

On the Onision topic.

I don't understand why Onion thinks that Dan would like him or respond to him based on how he talks about I mean he basically oversexualized Dan, and calls Phil his sidekick or the less cute version of Dan (I don't remember the exact quote). Would you like someone that talked like that about your best friend? I don't get how one is a sidekick?? They are just people who make videos together and separately.

Also (sorry for the derogatory language) Onision has called Dan and Phil "fags" and talks about who tops and who bottoms. It just seems really creepy. Like I understand Onion does internet commentary, but he can't get upset when he says negative things about people and then doesn't get acknowledged by them.
Phantasy
woodland creature

Amelie wrote:[offtopic][/offtopic]I just saw this in dans twitter likes and thought it was interesting. The caption was "dan, you look like a dad' (Sorry, I have no idea how to embed tweets). How would 2012 Dan feel now

The best part is it's apparently a two dad household.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Bassoonage wrote:On the Onision topic.

I don't understand why Onion thinks that Dan would like him or respond to him based on how he talks about I mean he basically oversexualized Dan, and calls Phil his sidekick or the less cute version of Dan (I don't remember the exact quote). Would you like someone that talked like that about your best friend? I don't get how one is a sidekick?? They are just people who make videos together and separately.

Also (sorry for the derogatory language) Onision has called Dan and Phil "fags" and talks about who tops and who bottoms. It just seems really creepy. Like I understand Onion does internet commentary, but he can't get upset when he says negative things about people and then doesn't get acknowledged by them.
It's simple really. Onion doesn't actually like Dan. And he doesn't care whether Dan likes him or not.
There are only two things he cares about:
- Shocking, offending and trolling as many people as possible (and let's be real here the phandom is easy bait) because that's what he does.
- The attention he gets from the phandom whenever he mentions Dan or Phil. Positive or negative, he thrives on both. He's just a huge attention whore really.

Getting acknowledged by Dan is not really his goal, although it would probably stroke his massive ego and make him feel like he has won. I hope he will never get that satisfaction. But yeah, he doesn't actually like Dan and he isn't actually upset over Dan not acknowledging him.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
bluewho
truth bomb
Pronouns: she/her

So the liveshow seemed to start off fine, he was opinionated but in a good way. But then it was like the longer it went on, the angrier he seemed to get. He hid it well but it was there bubbling under the surface - like his overly passionate rant about the YouTube demonetization issue - which actually devolved into a shouted rant at how the whole of society is click-bait and drama and "GARBAGE" and the truth gets buried....

Also can we talk about how incredibly horrible Dan must have been feeling to actually call his audience 'dirty bitches'? It's not funny, and I don't think he would make that as a joke - considering how sensitive he is usually to not offend people. It had no context or pre-empt. It just seemed to come out spontaneously.

I really think he's suffering over this whole Onision thing.

Anyway, he looks atrociously good with his curly hair/general face :lol: , but I couldn't really appreciate it when he was so clearly in a mood.
To be honest, good doesn't quite do it justice

Also I like opinionated Dan, and I liked the first half of the liveshow, I just don't like to see him agitated.

:?

Can't we do something about Onision? What if we all reported him or something, would it do any good? Any hackers out there :lol: ? I'm joking but I'm also not, Onision needs to be stopped somehow otherwise he's just going to escalate even more.
teamug
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

bluewho wrote: Can't we do something about Onision? What if we all reported him or something, would it do any good? Any hackers out there :lol: ? I'm joking but I'm also not, Onision needs to be stopped somehow otherwise he's just going to escalate even more.
As its been said before, the best way to respond is not to give into what Oniision wants - attention. Now he wants to play the victim of the evil and mean Dan who won't play along with his games. Next up, Onisiinion will target the evil and mean phandom that gangs up on him. Onisinion wants to promote himself in any way he can, and on youtube a view is a view, whether you give someone a thumbs up or thumbs down. At some point he'll either run out of steam, or cross a line and he won't have a good defence (i'm obvs just joking guys) to fall back on.
Also, karma, and sometimes giving karma a hand.

DAPGO
Why I express an opinion on a book I won't be buying, I don't know, but here goes. Quite a few comments remind me of gg last year when Tabinof was first mentioned and a lot of people had to eat crow after reading the book and realizing it was better than they had at first thought. Maybe this will be too? We've seen no mock-ups to judge, and seeing as how the reception for the first book was not particularly positive (how many thumbs down did the book vid receive?) perhaps deps chose to downplay this one.
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

PLEASE use a "trigger warning" if you're going to talk about a rapist and overall waste of oxygen, thanks :cry: .

Phantasy wrote:
Amelie wrote:[offtopic][/offtopic]I just saw this in dans twitter likes and thought it was interesting. The caption was "dan, you look like a dad' (Sorry, I have no idea how to embed tweets). How would 2012 Dan feel now

The best part is it's apparently a two dad household.
+ What would 2012 Dan think of so many DanandPhil mentions? (On his likes on Tumblr)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
anathema
morning quiff

bluewho wrote:
anathema wrote:
bluewho wrote:33 minutes into the liveshow:
It's funny, gender roles and style. Cause my whole thing is, I feel like, society - you don't need to pay attention to it. You know...rules and stereotypes, rolls and rules, they're all meaningless. And yet, would I feel comfortable going outside in a pink miniskirt? Don't think I would right now, but why? I just said that there's no reason for that. Interesting philosophical questions. It's all society's fault isn't it.
later guys i'm in love
(thank you Dan for acting like a normal human being with opinions)
I don't understand, are you being sarcastic? Because:

1) If you think this is a 'normal' opinion for people to have, I want to move where you live. I think it was a progressive opinion, certainly worthy of note. I am so sorry for being enthusiastic about something on a fan forum.

2) It isn't about 'thank you Dan', I wasn't thanking him. I was expressing the fact that I suddenly felt glad that I'm a fan of someone who can have such a progressive and reflective attitude on the subject, and broadcast this positive message to thousands of people who may not share it/may not live in an area or family where such an opinion is common. I was also obviously exaggerating because I didn't think it was necessary to explain why this attitude was noteworthy, and thought pointing it out would suffice, something I was apparently wrong about.

But you're right, clearly I'm just being stupid, getting excited on a fan forum when someone I'm a fan of says something positive, I mean jeez, smh how lame.
My point wasn't anything to do with Dan's opinion itself, but the fact he said it. I feel like normally Dan doesn't express his opinions, or when he does he doesn't go very in-depth, so I was just happy he actually explained his opinion for once (because I feel like he doesn't express his opinions very often in fear of offending people). The comment wasn't directed towards you in any way.
vincentian wrote:
Amelie wrote:
coffeepenguin wrote: Can somebody explain to me why the idea of a photobook is so horrible? I'm not being a troll, I genuinely don't understand :( Like, aside from the cover (that I don't even think is so bad, but ok, I have no taste), it's not their primary content, so you don't have to buy it if you don't want to/don't have money, it's not the main reason they weren't sharing as much during the US TATINOF - the general exhaustion, the recording and the making of film were, and it's not like they didn't post anything at all (e.g. Niagara selfie). It's like every other photobook out there, Dan mentioned in another ls the photobooks that bands have, me, personally, I would love to have some quality photos of them printed on a good paper and I'm ready to pay for it with my money, and like everything with Deppy it's not something imposed on them but photos they've taken themselves? sign me up immediately, what I want to say (I've talked in my very first post about the j-pop fandom, photobooks are one of the things that I really loved about it)
I just wanted to say that I agree with you entirely. I don't understand why people are so against the photobook. It's just a book. If you don't want it, don't buy it. I don't imagine d&p would've been that much more active of social media without it. They were in the middle of a fairly exhausting tour at the time, and this book is going to be full of photos. I'd rather this than a few instagram posts.
The problem with “you don’t have to buy it” argument (imo) is - we can enjoy anything they put out just bc it’s them (even if there was 0 effort involved), but it doesn’t mean they should go with every opportunity, it would cheapen their brand / make them seem sellouts. What Dan said about the photobook was quite clever and seems like good way to low-key promote the book and the reasons he mentioned were nicely worded and sounded legit but it's still promo for the product.
Some reasons I don’t approve of this book:
1. It seems really low-effort. If they had a 2-book deal they could at least make the 2nd book count as well, as in being meaningful in any way. Also all the arguments against youtuber books in general apply here.
2. It does seem like they didn’t share anything during USA tour bc they wanted to sell this experience in a form of this book, but the content of it is really Instagram-worthy. Also seems much in addition to the tour vid and a documentary (like quadrupling on the same opportunity).
3. Are they photographers now? It’s a bit narcissistic to sell a book like that and it looks like they are stepping into reality-show zone (also goes against them being notoriously private people in everything but this).

lol at me suddenly posting more, I just have some free time, it won't last.
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

bluewho wrote: Can't we do something about Onision? What if we all reported him or something, would it do any good? Any hackers out there :lol: ? I'm joking but I'm also not, Onision needs to be stopped somehow otherwise he's just going to escalate even more.
Onion is an OG YouTuber who has been on the site since the beginning and has pulled worse shit than this. Plenty of people have tried to tak action against him, yet he's still on the site, still making money. What makes you think the phandom can do anything the rest of YouTube hasn't been able to do for the past decade? We all just need to stop taking the bait.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Philena wrote:Slightly ot, but would love to hear Dan play True Love Waits, not for any romantic notions, but because of the syncopation that makes a deceptively easy sounding song that much more difficult. Kudos to him if he can play and sing at the same time! Also, was low key annoyed that he implied he and Thom Yorke have a similar level of piano skills. Let's hear some of your original compositions, Daniel. :roll:

I liked Phil's Mario tweet today! He seemed excited.
We can but hope he ever plays the piano on camera again, it is lovely to watch and hear. I don't remember where/when he said that about his piano skills, but I think I know what you're referring to and I'm sure he was sarcastically putting himself down as usual, I'm not sure he's ever acknowledged that he plays well.

Phil's Mario tweet was the cutest especially next to Dan's tortured decision over black or deeper, shiny black.
bluewho
truth bomb

Ticia wrote:+ What would 2012 Dan think of so many DanandPhil mentions? (On his likes on Tumblr)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Is this new? :
Does anybody think it could be potentially slightly hypocritical to rant about how gender rolls are stupid and then call your audience 'dirty bitches' twenty minutes later? Or am I overthinking?

Ah sorry, anathema I misunderstood you! Please ignore my post, this is why grouchy morning people shouldn't post in the mornings :lol: Now I see what you mean & I agree - I think he needs to speak his mind more *cough* especially about those airport stalkers *cough*.
mio
#relatable

bluewho wrote: Does anybody think it could be potentially slightly hypocritical to rant about how gender rolls are stupid and then call your audience 'dirty bitches' twenty minutes later? Or am I overthinking?
I havent watched the liveshow yet, in what context did he say that? :/
Sounds a bit harsh to me...
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
Philena
blobfish

flarequake wrote:
Philena wrote:Slightly ot, but would love to hear Dan play True Love Waits, not for any romantic notions, but because of the syncopation that makes a deceptively easy sounding song that much more difficult. Kudos to him if he can play and sing at the same time! Also, was low key annoyed that he implied he and Thom Yorke have a similar level of piano skills. Let's hear some of your original compositions, Daniel. :roll:

I liked Phil's Mario tweet today! He seemed excited.
We can but hope he ever plays the piano on camera again, it is lovely to watch and hear. I don't remember where/when he said that about his piano skills, but I think I know what you're referring to and I'm sure he was sarcastically putting himself down as usual, I'm not sure he's ever acknowledged that he plays well.

Phil's Mario tweet was the cutest especially next to Dan's tortured decision over black or deeper, shiny black.
Oh, yeah, I'm sure it was sarcasm, but he just made me roll my eyes a bit. :platonic:

Phil is always the cutest!
daphenaxa
blobfish

bluewho wrote: Also can we talk about how incredibly horrible Dan must have been feeling to actually call his audience 'dirty bitches'? It's not funny, and I don't think he would make that as a joke - considering how sensitive he is usually to not offend people. It had no context or pre-empt. It just seemed to come out spontaneously.

I really think he's suffering over this whole Onision thing.
I think the dirty bitches was a slip up and not an actual insult to his 99% teenage female audience. We know Dan is not a PC person IRL. He swears a lot and I am pretty sure he calls his friends derogatory terms all the time (we have instances of him calling Phil a crazy bitch for example).
I am not saying that him calling his audience like that is fine (it's not) but I don't think it was an insult provoked by annoying people in the chat spamming Onision.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
DryCereal
koi pond

Dan's reference to comments being all "OMGZZZZ!!!1!!1! IMAGINE DAN PLAYING THIS FOR PHIL!!1!!!1!" made me laugh - Unless Phil's out, or wearing earplugs/phones, he'll hear whenever or whatever Dan's playing. Warts n'all! :lol:
Philena wrote:Also, was low key annoyed that he implied he and Thom Yorke have a similar level of piano skills. Let's hear some of your original compositions, Daniel. :roll:
Yup, cos performance skills and composition skills are one and the same... :roll:
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
starlight-still
truth bomb

This is a bit of an off-topic aside but it is related to "dirty bitches." Going to put it under a cut (warning for mildly coarse language):
[offtopic]Now that I've thought about it a bit, I wonder if him saying that without much thought is something of a cultural thing. I mean, everyone is different and every friendship, etc. is its own thing but it seems like saying stuff like that to people you actually like for the most part is more common in the UK than in the US, for instance. This is very generally speaking. For instance, I remember I was in London a few years ago and was thinking about getting my mom a birthday card from over there. So I wandered into a shop and:

For the most part, if you gave your American friends that kind of card, they'd lowkey your behind. I mean, I'll be real, I think they're funny and all but unless someone was my very close friend and it was something of an inside joke I'd be a bit :wtf: if I got something like this (I tried to find some rude American cards as I know we have them but all I could find are these, which are actually pretty complimentary when you read them: http://www.oplusd.com/). Or maybe I just wandered into the rude card section Thought I'd put it out there as a possible explanation.[/offtopic]
000dia000
emo goose

I agree with the whole "dirty bitches" thing being blown up a little out of proportion, I found it quite in tune with British humour and to an extent tumblr humour, while Dan's quite sassy and a little blunt attitude in his recent liveshow made him seem a little aggressive towards his audience, I found this comment just a cut of sass he threw to be relatable.
:cactus:
DryCereal
koi pond

000dia000 wrote:I agree with the whole "dirty bitches" thing being blown up a little out of proportion, I found it quite in tune with British humour and to an extent tumblr humour, while Dan's quite sassy and a little blunt attitude in his recent liveshow made him seem a little aggressive towards his audience, I found this comment just a cut of sass he threw to be relatable.
"a little"?!

T'wouldn't be the internet if people weren't going out of their way to get offended! ;)
Winston
flower crown

000dia000 wrote:I agree with the whole "dirty bitches" thing being blown up a little out of proportion, I found it quite in tune with British humour and to an extent tumblr humour, while Dan's quite sassy and a little blunt attitude in his recent liveshow made him seem a little aggressive towards his audience, I found this comment just a cut of sass he threw to be relatable.
Agree!

Here in USA it is used all the time by the sassiest of people. DRAG QUEENS. I mean as soon as he said it i laughed because that is exactly what i thought of.
actions speak louder than words
majitzu
angel bean

I laugh a lot at the dirty bitches comment

I totally forgot about this, when Dan show us the translated Tabinof book he said the guy that translated that even translated his dream journal to russian... HOW? We try that and no one understood anything, are we lacking? I'm so confused. I need some russian to buy the book and tell me what type of translation was that. Because for the most part it was only some words that didn't form a sentence. I'm like
DryCereal
koi pond

majitzu wrote:I laugh a lot at the dirty bitches comment

I totally forgot about this, when Dan show us the translated Tabinof book he said the guy that translated that even translated his dream journal to russian... HOW? We try that and no one understood anything, are we lacking?
We're lacking a "Dan Howell" - the only being capable of reading that scrawl.

though to be fair, I could read the FFVII-related one fairly easily... but only because I knew what half the words were likely to be...
anathema
morning quiff

IckleMissMayhem wrote:
"a little"?!

T'wouldn't be the internet if people weren't going out of their way to get offended! ;)

IckleMissMayhem wrote:

I totally forgot about this, when Dan show us the translated Tabinof book he said the guy that translated that even translated his dream journal to russian... HOW? We try that and no one understood anything, are we lacking?

though to be fair, I could read the FFVII-related one fairly easily... but only because I knew what half the words were likely to be...
Just what I was about to say. I'm sure the guy translating was able to contact them about things- on of those things being "hey, what does this say exactly?" :lol:
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
Lurktacularr
procrastinator

starlight-still wrote:This is a bit of an off-topic aside but it is related to "dirty bitches." Going to put it under a cut (warning for mildly coarse language):
[offtopic]Now that I've thought about it a bit, I wonder if him saying that without much thought is something of a cultural thing. I mean, everyone is different and every friendship, etc. is its own thing but it seems like saying stuff like that to people you actually like for the most part is more common in the UK than in the US, for instance. This is very generally speaking. For instance, I remember I was in London a few years ago and was thinking about getting my mom a birthday card from over there. So I wandered into a shop and:

For the most part, if you gave your American friends that kind of card, they'd lowkey your behind. I mean, I'll be real, I think they're funny and all but unless someone was my very close friend and it was something of an inside joke I'd be a bit :wtf: if I got something like this (I tried to find some rude American cards as I know we have them but all I could find are these, which are actually pretty complimentary when you read them: http://www.oplusd.com/). Or maybe I just wandered into the rude card section Thought I'd put it out there as a possible explanation.[/offtopic]
As a fellow Brit, from Manchester, who's the same age as Dan, I can confirm all of the above examples made me laugh and this is 100% my sense of humour. Its not a rare one either - its incredibly common hence why they even manufacture cards like that.

I'd be more offended if I got a normal card because I'd think they didn't like me enough to give me shit :lol:

I obviously can't say definitively what Dan's sense of humour is but I'm as sure as you can really get that he shares this sense of humour. Look at how he talks to Phil and how much he swears.

Honestly, I wouldn't take it seriously.
I wonder how biology can explain the physical pain you feel in your chest when all you want to do is talk shit on IDB
DryCereal
koi pond

anathema wrote:
IckleMissMayhem wrote:

Just what I was about to say. I'm sure the guy translating was able to contact them about things- on of those things being "hey, what does this say exactly?" :lol:
So. Who volunteers to be the sacrificial lamb to ask Dan for a "DH to English" translation of those pages? :platonic:
l8er_sk8er
delia smith

I totally forgot about this, when Dan show us the translated Tabinof book he said the guy that translated that even translated his dream journal to russian... HOW? We try that and no one understood anything, are we lacking? I'm so confused. I need some russian to buy the book and tell me what type of translation was that. Because for the most part it was only some words that didn't form a sentence. I'm like
I looked through the book today at a book store and whole book seems to be translated really well but on the dream journal pages she was struggling and some words was just question marks. Unfortunately nobody have superpower to decrypt Dan's handwriting.