Dan & Phil part 25: 15% depth, 75% bants

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
sinnamonrollphil
drama llama

flarequake wrote:That was an interesting one, could have been calmer, could have been ruffled-er. When he has outbursts like the defining yourself etc my mind instantly goes all motherhen thinking he should get off the net and go to bed, but I have such similar ruffledness going on so often, just usually silently, it's not even funny :roll:

He mentioned New York twice in a liveshow a few weeks ago and asked people if they'd seen ads for YTR shows like Superwoman's Trip to Unicorn Island on billboards so it sounded like they're doing promo there for it. I haven't seen anything about YouTube on the billboards on Piccadilly Circus or along the roadside further out, though some big London stations like Liverpool Street have screens that have shown them, I remember the Sorted Food guys being on them a lot a while ago.

I loved that Louise was watching and then he cheekily said that about her being an overbearing friend. Plus trolling Felix with follow/unfollow clicks for an hour. Such a brat.

Finally Orphan Black's on his radar :D Clone Club will welcome you just in time for the last season.
Yeah, I havent seen DnP stuff on billboards yet but I've seen sitc stuff earlier this year on busses and i've seen some stuff in and around for really random stuff? I feel like with there being a space here its really surprising there isnt more. when I was in LA a few months ago there was red billboards EVERYWHERE (i mean its not a new concept that YT has no clue what they're doing though so...)
anathema
morning quiff
Pronouns: she/her

sinnamonrollphil wrote:
flarequake wrote:That was an interesting one, could have been calmer, could have been ruffled-er. When he has outbursts like the defining yourself etc my mind instantly goes all motherhen thinking he should get off the net and go to bed, but I have such similar ruffledness going on so often, just usually silently, it's not even funny :roll:

He mentioned New York twice in a liveshow a few weeks ago and asked people if they'd seen ads for YTR shows like Superwoman's Trip to Unicorn Island on billboards so it sounded like they're doing promo there for it. I haven't seen anything about YouTube on the billboards on Piccadilly Circus or along the roadside further out, though some big London stations like Liverpool Street have screens that have shown them, I remember the Sorted Food guys being on them a lot a while ago.

I loved that Louise was watching and then he cheekily said that about her being an overbearing friend. Plus trolling Felix with follow/unfollow clicks for an hour. Such a brat.

Finally Orphan Black's on his radar :D Clone Club will welcome you just in time for the last season.
Yeah, I havent seen DnP stuff on billboards yet but I've seen sitc stuff earlier this year on busses and i've seen some stuff in and around for really random stuff? I feel like with there being a space here its really surprising there isnt more. when I was in LA a few months ago there was red billboards EVERYWHERE (i mean its not a new concept that YT has no clue what they're doing though so...)
I was in LA in June and I remember this too. I saw a lot and most of them were GIANT. (One took up the entire side of an apartment building.) I remembering thinking about how D&P would look on one of them and I'm glad I'll probably get to find out :lol:
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

anathema wrote:
sinnamonrollphil wrote:

I was in LA in June and I remember this too. I saw a lot and most of them were GIANT. (One took up the entire side of an apartment building.) I remembering thinking about how D&P would look on one of them and I'm glad I'll probably get to find out :lol:
Just entirely plain red? There are a few red brands, but I guess that could work subliminally enough :shock:

I do remember seeing SITC posters on tube platforms now you mention it, had forgotten those.
fancybum
senpai

Oh and what the hell is up with the younow bars for Premium Messages?? It used to be capped at 400 to send a message and today it went up to 2000. Like that's ridiculous. I wonder if that's a reaction to having the streams up for free on tumblr? Forcing people to spend more money while watching? But surely younow is ok with that if D&P have been doing it.. right? I wonder if those 'discussions' they said they would have with younow re: subscriptions included 'We're putting our shows on tumblr or we're walking away with the majority of your potential viewers lol' because neither of them ever mentioned it again. What a dumb site.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Lurktacularr
procrastinator

Guys I feel so unsettled right now, like legitimately, I can't even tell you :lol: :lol: :lol:

I reckon they're gonna Haru the european tour because they couldn't make it happen. Super shitty to Haru it but I don't see how it can fit in now and the length of silence on it speaks for itself.

I'm not normally one to read too much into Dan's 'moods' during liveshows but he seemed incredibly tense in this one to me. Like tangibly so. This also makes me think that we're getting some kind of surprise beyond tour shit tomorrow that he's worked up about.

Riddle me equally tense. :wtf:
I wonder how biology can explain the physical pain you feel in your chest when all you want to do is talk shit on IDB
hannah
butt chair

Lurktacularr wrote: I'm not normally one to read too much into Dan's 'moods' during liveshows but he seemed incredibly tense in this one to me. Like tangibly so. This also makes me think that we're getting some kind of surprise beyond tour shit tomorrow that he's worked up about.

Riddle me equally tense. :wtf:
This.
Anyone have ideas on what he could be tense about? If he's tense at all, that is. I'm actually sort of worried, ngl.
bluewho
truth bomb

Dan Liveshow ---> Mixed Feelings

:? Moments:
Yes he does seem tense.

Straight hair, he was fidgeting with it a little bit today which also gave off tense vibes.

He says he gets stressed when good things happen because he's always looking for a catch.

He sounds exasperated/worn out talking about the '4 years' he's spent doing liveshows, and he seems sad that he never has to cancel because of social plans. Is he lonely?

If I'm honest the yelling at the opening of the liveshow felt intense to me and made me feel uneasy. But the unease may come from his obvious tension, which I felt sensitive to the minute I turned the video on.

I wasn't sure how to interpret the 'save me from this hell' comment (?)

Moments:

He looks gorgeous in blue.

He looks gorgeous generally.

Hearing him talk about philosophy

Positivity rant.

Rant about using social media to define yourself how you want to be defined.

Internet friends are real friends - kind of appreciated this one as someone who doesn't have many friends in real life, it sort of made me feel better somehow

Brief Hilary & Trump slam, with Hilary as preferred choice.

Not appropriate to use pumpkins yet - I knew he'd be on my team

The rant about people wanting him to name the parrot
(but I almost felt like this was one of the only sections of the liveshow where I genuinely laughed, such a contrast from how I usually feel)

'For fuck's sake dip some toast in your soup. Bye.'

---General note--- He implies he was drinking alcohol during the Internet Support Group video.
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

In other news:
Yay
Lurktacularr
procrastinator

bluewho wrote: ---General note--- He implies he was drinking alcohol during the Internet Support Group video.
Ahhhh yes, back when my brain was normal like 3 hours ago I meant to mention this!

'Anyone who watched my Internet Support Group video may know why I was such a mess'

So he was drinking - sorry, can't nobody convince me he's that good at bullshitting to carry off such a subtle and casual lie when it isn't even being talked about anymore. I did think he was drinking at the time because once again: he ain't that good at acting and that was vodkaface if I ever did see it :lol:

Also re Phil's new houseplant - he 'made it clear' that he 'wouldn't be taking any responsibility to keep it alive'. Like, no shit 'bro', you aren't responsible for a houseplant your bro bought which he keeps in his separate bro bedroom? 8-)

[Side bar: I think he knew how he sounded when he was talking about the shrimp and mimicked Phil saying 'we have a shrimp!' so tagged a 'bro' on the end. I'll let it slide cos tense Dan is tense]
I wonder how biology can explain the physical pain you feel in your chest when all you want to do is talk shit on IDB
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

bluewho wrote:Dan Liveshow ---> Mixed Feelings

He sounds exasperated/worn out talking about the '4 years' he's spent doing liveshows, and he seems sad that he never has to cancel because of social plans. Is he lonely?

If I'm honest the yelling at the opening of the liveshow felt intense to me and made me feel uneasy. But the unease may come from his obvious tension, which I felt sensitive to the minute I turned the video on.
I kinda thought this was his response to anyone that thought he did these live shows purely for money, instead of because its a longrunning way to connect with fans, who at one point were like friends. That he has been doing it before the paid aspects etc. His sneaky little response to certain accusations so to speak. Just my opinion though.

Could also be guilt though. Maybe he won't be able to do them for a while, or is thinking about stopping them/changing to a new service. idk. Or he was just feeling contemplative today.
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

I have not finished the live show yet but I can sense his tenseness. Maybe it is because Louise is watching? He doesn't like people he knows personally to watch his live shows.
anathema
morning quiff

Not to jump on the "every time dan or phil says something big is coming that means they're gonna come out!!1" train (I highly doubt that's what Dan's video is going to be about tomorrow as he said it's a "teaser" but anyway~) but Friday is bi visibility day and a lot of people dub this whole week "bisexual awareness week".
Philena
blobfish

I somehow feel as though I watched a different ls than all of you. My overall impression as I watched was that he was in a silly mood. I laughed a lot! Loved the parrot naming rant, the top listening teaser, and the teasing about Phil's rebranding. He also seemed to name more faves than usual.

I was also glad to hear the Orphan Black and Mr. Robot mentions. They are legitimately my current fave shows, and I was super stoked to see that both Tatiana and Rami had won acting Emmys!

The Phil twitter thing, eh. He was probably just bored.

I also think tomorrow's vid will be a trailer for the tour movie.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I'd be surprised if he wasn't feeling the pressure from everything coming up on the back of everything they've done this year plus how much he worked through being ill. I hadn't given a lot of thought to the YTR stuff, I'd been assuming both videos will sell just fine, but perhaps they are still unsure about that. It is something some kids won't be able to pay for, there were a lot of comments about that when they first announced it.

Good point about maybe feeling lonely. He has mentioned that, though ages ago now, including wanting friends who share interests eg piano concerts. What with keeping to themselves and a few close friends, having a rollercoaster of packing in work and needing time alone to recharge... They joke about not going outside or having a social life a lot as it is so I wouldn't be surprised by that either.
akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

I actually think the mini parrot rant/albert/new houseplant really reminds of the classic dinof trait of "running away from responsibilities", like on one hand he doesn't like it when people take responsibilities lightly, the other hand he afraid of being responsible for others.

On the contrary Phil is actively seeking responsibilities.

IDK is it because they are dealing with the classic couple problem of one wants a baby and the other don't?

Also the way he talks about candles and just imagining Phil getting excited about three wick candles are just hilarious.

But i do feel strange after watching the show.
bluewho
truth bomb

fancybum wrote: I wonder if those 'discussions' they said they would have with younow re: subscriptions included 'We're putting our shows on tumblr or we're walking away with the majority of your potential viewers lol' because neither of them ever mentioned it again. What a dumb site.
Yes I wonder this too. The phandom made such drama about what I like to call the 'fuck younow' incident, including a dinofvyou1 video. And then they promised to talk to YouNow about it. Then suddenly Dan appears in a liveshow with a Tumblr spon hat. Now we get free replays on tumblr. Kind of makes me think they fought for us to get that, which I'm grateful for.
000dia000 wrote:There's so much happening the last couple of days? We're moving much faster than usual in the pages? We're moving on so quickly from topics we would have spent pages and pages pouring over....

Maybe it is IDB that's rebranding ???
+1
I find his choice of language in this tweet so interesting. Especially in light of what we were discussing in the last thread about the way he seems to sexualise himself. 'Stripped bare and vulnerable' is both so sexual and so evocative of defenselessness. And relating that kind of imagery to your 'soul'...
I don't know - I know I overanalyse him. The humour in the statement comes from relating the statement to his bed, as well as to himself. But if you take the bed part out, and just relate it to Dan, it's kind of a painful image.
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

bluewho wrote: I find his choice of language in this tweet so interesting. Especially in light of what we were discussing in the last thread about the way he seems to sexualise himself. 'Stripped bare and vulnerable' is both so sexual and so evocative of defenselessness. And relating that kind of imagery to your 'soul'...
I don't know - I know I overanalyse him. The humour in the statement comes from relating the statement to his bed, as well as to himself. But if you take the bed part out, and just relate it to Dan, it's kind of a painful image.
I think the humor comes from the pain. Its that sort of self deprecation/self pitying that reaches the point of being funny. I don't know exactly what it is about it that is funny- its funny in its depressing nature with and edge of banter.
daphenaxa
blobfish

I think that liveshow was a bit weird because some of it was really funny, that parrot naming breakdown for example was hysterical, but most of the time he seemed a bit confused and at loss of what to talk about (Which is one of the reasons he talked about Phil SO MUCH since we know that "when in doubt, talk about Phil" is Danny's motto).
All this made for the liveshow to feel a lot emptier compared to usual. He seemed to realize it at the end too.

If Dan and Phil really take part in that TV show thing that is the English version of Fort Boyard, I might die.
bluewho wrote: I find his choice of language in this tweet so interesting. Especially in light of what we were discussing in the last thread about the way he seems to sexualise himself. 'Stripped bare and vulnerable' is both so sexual and so evocative of defenselessness. And relating that kind of imagery to your 'soul'...
It's Dan brand of humor that does the critic of himself before it is done by anyone else.
I believe Dan gets sexualized a lot, we have countless examples of that both from his fans and peers (and as we know it has happened really recently), so him sexualizing himself before it is done and even doing it in a over the top grotesque manner is actually his way to counter what any of his critics would say.
It invalidates what they would say because he both sexualizes himself as well as shows from the analogy with his bare bed and soul that it is ridiculous. I always thought it was the same process for him doing the sexy end screen dance. A bit like "oh yeah you think I am cute? you want sexy? well I will give you sexy" and proceeding to do a ridiculous jokey "sexy" dance.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
Winston
flower crown

OK so i have spent hours looking through my YT history and just saw the vyou pass by talking about painting his nails and him not comfortable enough with his sexuality to do it. yes sorry I am bringing up the painting of nails again. which i never cared about, but i forgot about that vyou. Maybe I was mistaken in thinking it didn't mean that much to him? I mean concidering the way this year has gone and how much more "free" he seems about it...maybe it really was a big-ish thing for him to do. (Don't kill me for bringing it back up---runs and hides from pitchforks)

also maybe he was tense because of the BBC stuff thay came out. Maybe that is why Phil deleted his header etc. and it threw him. a public angsty/angry DM to the BBC ;)
actions speak louder than words
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

Some good/interesting things:
-*Sees Louise is watching* Heyy girl. Are you having a good night? (i just found this funny and endearing)

-'What color lipstick are you wearing?'

-Dan kinkshamed someone at TATINOF?

-Dan wants to be abducted by aliens so that he can escape from this hell.

-His description of Phil changing his header. Dan does not think that Phil is an aesthetic person. Dan is apparently at unawares if there is a rebranding happening.

-All of Dan's Videos have a serious undertone? Do they?
bluewho
truth bomb

Winston wrote:OK so i have spent hours looking through my YT history and just saw the vyou pass by talking about painting his nails and him not comfortable enough with his sexuality to do it. yes sorry I am bringing up the painting of nails again. which i never cared about, but i forgot about that vyou. Maybe I was mistaken in thinking it didn't mean that much to him? I mean concidering the way this year has gone and how much more "free" he seems about it...maybe it really was a big-ish thing for him to do. (Don't kill me for bringing it back up---runs and hides from pitchforks)
Yes this is what I thought when I saw that clip too. It was amongst the things that convinced me he was doing it for himself and not just to shut the phandom up. If you dig I'm sure you can find my long-winded post somewhere on this site where I discussed it :lol: Anyway (before the pitchforks come out)
spaceguitar wrote: -Dan kinkshamed someone at TATINOF?
ikr so many questions we will never have the answers to :lol:
spaceguitar wrote: -All of Dan's Videos have a serious undertone? Do they?
I think if you look beneath the surface they are usually making light or a joke out of something that is a serious issue for him. 'Reasons why Dan's a fail' being the most obvious example. Even where they seem trivial he usually seems to try and put some kind of serious positive message in it, even if he has to somewhat artificially put it in where it doesn't quite fit. None of this is a criticism, it's one of the things I really like about his videos.
Galactic-Howell
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

The liveshow really was a roller coaster. Don't think I've seen Dan this tense and unsmiley (except when talking about Phil's antics #foreverphiltrash#1)

Very curious to see what tomorrow will bring.
Wholesome doggo shitposting through life.
You may also call me Gal!
starlight-still
truth bomb

Warning, about to get as as I usually am
So Dan seems to have a serious case of the jitters about...something. A few things stand out to me:

- Phil changing his Twitter all of a sudden possibly indicates that the Thing that's about to Go Down will draw more attention to them from outside of the phandom/YouTube community. If it's actually happening tomorrow, er, we left it a little late buddy but no matter. Notice how he went to one of the most recent, high quality professional photos (taken at the YouTube space at that).
- Colleagues publicly supporting/connecting with them over the past week. First the group over the weekend, then Pewdiepie and Louise. I don’t know why this gives me vibes…but it’s the kind of thing where, once we know what it is, we might look back and go ‘ah ha’
- Instagram. Not only did Dan do that little poll in his show this evening; earlier in the day, Phil posted that clip of Albert on Instagram only. Maybe we should be asking “What happened in California?” instead of “What happened in Vegas?”

No idea what this adds up to but...
I am very excited to find out what’s on the horizon for those two.

OK, and bonus because I couldn’t resist:
- I found myself oddly charmed by how he did the laptop thing at the beginning today. You can’t hide those musician’s sensibilities from us, Daniel, we see you please play piano for us one day it doesn’t have to be perfect or even rehearsed
- I admit it…his flush lips, profile, tension, and the parrot thing were nudging me into the Dangirl borderlands. Him being stressed just makes me want to…de-stress hug him. I get it, I really do.
- Phil did the little edits at the end of the suitcase hand vid- did I hear that correctly?
- Phil’s reaction to REALSATAN: :? uh…..........k? Dan’s reaction to REALSATAN: you know you’ve made it when 8-)
- Putting his hand in his shirt (around 19:15) shows just how tense he is :(
- Chocobo theme...the more things change...
- Wait so he bit his lip too or is he taking that Phil #1 title extra seriously?
- There was a Dan live show theory floating around that when he wants to segue into something specific, he throws out a generic male name and pretends that he was asked it in the chat. Today “Zach” asked about the highlight of his day and he told us about that cupcake.
- “Did Phil tell you…” “Did Phil mention…” wat they r not hive mind?
- OK that Totoro whistling was a bit creepy, Daniel
- The whole “parrot” thing just :lol: Louise was probably howling
eevee
emo goose

Had to watch super late but I took notes while watching and here they are:
is he really doing the infinity thing again? I got major deja vu when he did that and had to check I was watching today's liveshow

"4 years in the making" makes it sound like it is all leading up to something and he is tired of it

Okay Dan, so you can have a PSL but no pumpkin emojis? explain

I wrote down "is he being extra sarcastic? condescending?" but tense and sketchy are great words for it.

Not a direct quote but: "The only thing I get out of making embarrassing videos is making you all feel better about yourselves" oh you forgot $$$$$$

Phil "sucked [the swear] back into his mouth" oh? he did what now??

The "no" he said after someone said "drag me" reminded me of a child stamping its foot and yelling a short "no!" and it was incredibly cute

realsatan is back to play

he "took" anthony padilla to the vegan restaurant when he was there.........secret affair??

I can relate to Dan feeling like playing Outlast was stressful, I feel that way about even the more lighthearted of video games :lol:

Louise texting Dan was cute but the "if this is still your number" thing implied that she hadnt spoken to him in a while? now text him now?

Dan annoying pewdiepie by clicking the follow and unfollow button a hundred times is adorable and makes me think that Dan has probably done stuff like that to Phil, both online and in real life, like poking him repeatedly or doing something else annoying and it's cute af

DAPGO includes photos they took on their phone....oh gosh, they mustve deleted any phan evidence they had from their phones before that project started, no use trying to hack their iClouds now

Dan talking about how you can't make deliberate memes made me think of that time Emma Blackery asked her audience to create memes for her lmao

Talking about Phil buying the 3-wick candles and getting excited about the shrimp was so cute, especially the shrimp because Dan made it sound like Phil was jumping up and down like an excited puppy or a child on christmas and aaaah god. Also Dan is a proud bf of his psychic husband predicting ear tints

They're going to NY this year!??! It's over in a few months!!! Or does he mean within a year from now??

He mentioned Boston again Maybe if I pray hard enough he will come visit me

"What lipstick shade are you wearing" was the only part of the liveshow that made me laugh out loud I just loved that he read that omg

Does he believe in internet friends? Did the person who asked that just crawl out from under a rock?

Oh god, please please please upload all of Undertale

his discussion about ones social media bio and presence was extremely philosophical? Woah.

His reaction to parrots living for 50 years was hilarious! He couldn't believe it and neither can I, haha. But his attitude about him naming the pet made me think that he was thinking about his significance, and how someday (possibly soon/next few years) he will not be relevant anymore and people who changed aspects of their life because of him will regret it. I just feel like that's been on his mind.

the ending was great hahaha, I've never tried buttered toast in soup although I've tried grilled cheese in tomato soup and that is bomb
More important and relevant to the discussion: I feel like what's getting uploaded tomorrow seems like it's not the same as the trailers, as he mentioned the trailers in completely different context to the video being uploaded tomorrow, and mentioned there would be one on each channel, but all he said to look out for was a video on his channel. Weird. Imagine if they really did come out tho? Like we all don't really believe they ever will. We'd be floored.
phamnotof wrote:5) No really what crawled up his butt? Or didn't. More likely.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
anathema
morning quiff

eevee wrote: he "took" anthony padilla to the vegan restaurant when he was there.........secret affair??
I was going to mention this and totally forgot, I'm glad you brought it up. I'm assuming when he mentioned that he was talking about this (unless I'm totally wrong and that's not a vegan restaurant, but I always assumed it was):

(3:29)

Obviously Kalel was there too, so I thought it was weird he didn't mention her.