Dan & Phil part 26: You’ve got an impressive length

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Bassoonage
drama llama

All I got from that video was that Dan needs to sort his hair out. Phil's looked amazing but Dan has kind of a bowl cut going on :(
eevee
emo goose

blueapple_x wrote:It's kind of annoying that someone told me prepaid credit cards were accepted just a few days ago and now they're apparently not.
If you buy a visa or mastercard gift card, itll work exactly like a credit card, theres not a separate option for prepaid cards. so it should work. ive used these gift cards to pay phone bills by selecting the credit card option. i would be pretty stunned if google somehow didn't allow it. i'm pretty sure it doesn't know it's prepaid, just that it's a visa card.

edit: i am in the USA though, so perhaps other countries don't have access to the same type of "universal gift card" that im referring to
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
blueapple_x
flower crown

eevee wrote:
blueapple_x wrote:It's kind of annoying that someone told me prepaid credit cards were accepted just a few days ago and now they're apparently not.
If you buy a visa or mastercard gift card, itll work exactly like a credit card, theres not a separate option for prepaid cards. so it should work. ive used these gift cards to pay phone bills by selecting the credit card option. i would be pretty stunned if google somehow didn't allow it. i'm pretty sure it doesn't know it's prepaid, just that it's a visa card.

edit: i am in the USA though, so perhaps other countries don't have access to the same type of "universal gift card" that im referring to
Yeah I don't see why it wouldn't work or why that support person told me they don't accept it anymore.

We also have Mastercard/Visa prepaid cards. I'm going to ask again later and see if someone else gives me a different answer lol
fleur-de-lis
butt chair
Pronouns: she/her

I am kind of glad that there's the Google Play Store in my country because that seems to be the only option to own the films indefinitely? At least I think so, I only ever downloaded music from there and while it's a bit of a hassle, you can actually download it, so I'm guessing it's the same with videos.
frkin-zazzed
drama llama
Pronouns: they/them

after reading all this i kind of feel like i want to hold off on buying the movies? if they hadnt thought of the fact that people might just want to buy and keep specific content it could be possible that they could implement this at some point? i have a new zealand account and a uk account, and neither of them have google play download available which is irritating. idk but id rather not sign up to red and only be able to watch the movies for a month before my free trial runs out, but then i don't want to not watch them immediately on thursday morning... im super conflicted about this, i kind of wish it had been filmed by new form or something and available on vimeo like oscars hotel, that would have been so much less hassle.

ill stop complaining now.and sorry for the lack of punctuation and possible typos im on a break from a 3k essay so my hands dont really know how to type anymore
Amelie
delia smith

blueapple_x wrote:Hey everyone.

I had a chat with one of the Google/YT Red support people and they answered some questions. See below:
If you are in a country where Youtube Red IS available:
At the moment, you cannot make an individual purchase. You have to pay the monthly subscription fee if you wish to continually have access to the tatinof film and documentary. In other words, you have to pay the full price for a monthly subscription--you can't pick and choose what content you want to pay for.

If you are in a country where Youtube Red ISN'T available:

You will pay for the films as an individual purchase. Once Youtube Red becomes available in your country, you will be asked to sign up for YT Red. If you want to be refunded for what you paid for before YT Red was available in your country, you have to request it and they'll process that for you "immediately".

Obviously, if you're only paying for deppy there's a bit of a problem here. Why be forced to pay for a YT Red membership every month just to continue watching the films you already paid for? Many people want to have access to their purchased items forever without having to sign up to YT Red.

Well it appears they didn't have the foresight to think of this/set official rules for this. So they're apparently going to send this feedback to the higher ups to find out if people can keep content they bought before YT Red launches in their country without having to sign up to YT Red once it does launch in their country. I'll let you know when I find out.

Acceptable forms of payment:
https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2651410
The methods may differ based on your location. It's kind of annoying that someone told me prepaid credit cards were accepted just a few days ago and now they're apparently not.

Here are a list of countries that have access to YT Red content: https://t.co/C7jnlCric4
It will tell you how you have to pay to watch YT Red content based on your country.

How much will it cost?
Youtube/Google support staff apparently don't know until the date of release. :sideeye:
Hopefully this post is somewhat helpful lol
This is exactly the kind of simplicity I needed. Thank-you :D

If only the online sources of information were actually this comprehensive.

It does basically confirm that a lot of people will be deleting their new YTR accounts after one month. I can't believe that they would actually buy back the videos and make people pay for a subscription. I hope that idea disappears for the people who do have the opportunity to buy the two movies. It would be awful to purchase them only to effectively have to give them back when YTR arrives
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

Kinda random 2am thoughts about YTR here
Other than the free episodes, all YTR content has comments turned off, and no view counter. Not even the creator knows how many views their fancy red show is getting. So basically its the exact opposite of what youtube should be.

I thought originally it was just supposed to be a way to pay a monthly fee to support the people you were watching without having to watch ad's. All these special shows were added in later, probably because they wanted to charge more than people were wiling to pay for just add removal.

Luckily I saved my free trial, but if I hadn't I would still pay, because while you are subscribed to ytr EVERYONE you watch gets more money for your view than they would if you were watching an ad. They make that money on a sliding scale based on the length of the video, so long videos like movies make even more money than short videos. Its a great way to support all the people you watch on YT.

Paying for the "content" is rarely going to feel justified. I have sampled all the current Red content now and it all falls under a two categories.
1. scripted comedy, but with a fancy budget. Not really any better than what the creators usually produce.
2. completely/semi scripted reality tv shows. These are all terrible. Even if the actors are good enough to act surprised by what is happening, the scripting is so obvious and badly planned it doesn't fool the audience (or at least not the semi-intelligent viewer).

All of these have the same feel, like they were produced and directed and edited by the same people. Its kinda creepy actually.

I would kill to get my hands on a YTR contract to see what the actual deal is.

Info on getting a permanent copy of the video
http://www.wikihow.com/Download-YouTube-Videos

I should sleep now.
ravenreyes
sofa crease

lishachi wrote:[offtopic]not sure if this has been talked about before, but have d&p ever talked about getting tattoos? and also, if they were to get any, what do you think would suit them? sorry, massively off topic, just wondering in general (i have 4, and was looking at some and was curious if they'd thought about it/what they'd look like, not counting the punk edit video but i did enjoy that )[/offtopic]
this is a bit late, but i randomly came across this gifset of dan talking about tattoos and remembered that it had been mentioned on here recently. also lmao it gets a bit ~deep for a random talk about tattoos

this week is going so slowly, i really need it to be wednesday already. i could really use a few hours of something to watch right now.
bit late to this as well, but i'm going to start with the show when watching it. i always watch bts/making of stuff after + i'm more excited about the doc and want to save the best for last.

also i ended up making a side blog for d&p stuff last night, but i've never really ventured into the phandom except for on here and the other place so idk what i'm doing. help
english is not my first language
000dia000
emo goose

ravenreyes wrote:
lishachi wrote:[offtopic]not sure if this has been talked about before, but have d&p ever talked about getting tattoos? and also, if they were to get any, what do you think would suit them? sorry, massively off topic, just wondering in general (i have 4, and was looking at some and was curious if they'd thought about it/what they'd look like, not counting the punk edit video but i did enjoy that )[/offtopic]
this is a bit late, but i randomly came across this gifset of dan talking about tattoos and remembered that it had been mentioned on here recently. also lmao it gets a bit ~deep for a random talk about tattoos

this week is going so slowly, i really need it to be wednesday already. i could really use a few hours of something to watch right now.
bit late to this as well, but i'm going to start with the show when watching it. i always watch bts/making of stuff after + i'm more excited about the doc and want to save the best for last.

also i ended up making a side blog for d&p stuff last night, but i've never really ventured into the phandom except for on here and the other place so idk what i'm doing. help
OT: but who knew the last seven years would suddenly make a lot more sense after seeing these gifs? wow
:cactus:
Lurktacularr
procrastinator

I'm hammering the OT button this week but here we go:

[offtopic]Not sure if anyone's seen, but Coleen and Josh are getting a divorce. They've both made videos but I'll just link hers since its most relevant to the point I'm making:

Its watching shit like that, and the videos when PvP broke up, that make me realise why Dan and Phil may never want to come out. Forget the unpicking of years of denial, forget the potential (or inevitable) hate and homophobia.

Coleen's video is a hard watch because on top of all the shit she's going through in her own life, its pretty clear she feels massive responsibility towards her audience and that she owes them an apology. She in fact owes them fuck all, but I can see how she feels like that. I saw how PvP felt like that too. Because they shared it so they have to keep sharing through the nitty gritty. Whilst Deppy aren't vloggers, even with them not out I'd say they have a more invested fanbase than most youtubers so I think it still applies.

These are relationships which lasted 8 and 10 years respectively. Its not just the short-term stuff that can crumble (e.g. Hannah and Ingrid) and whilst I can't see the boys ever heading in that direction, its still quite sobering to watch this shit.

This post was brought to you by I'm Normally Gagging For Them To Come Out But Sometimes My Brain Turns Itself On[/offtopic]
I wonder how biology can explain the physical pain you feel in your chest when all you want to do is talk shit on IDB
nephilimcat
woodland creature

Lurktacularr wrote:I'm hammering the OT button this week but here we go:

[offtopic]Not sure if anyone's seen, but Coleen and Josh are getting a divorce. They've both made videos but I'll just link hers since its most relevant to the point I'm making:

Its watching shit like that, and the videos when PvP broke up, that make me realise why Dan and Phil may never want to come out. Forget the unpicking of years of denial, forget the potential (or inevitable) hate and homophobia.

Coleen's video is a hard watch because on top of all the shit she's going through in her own life, its pretty clear she feels massive responsibility towards her audience and that she owes them an apology. She in fact owes them fuck all, but I can see how she feels like that. I saw how PvP felt like that too. Because they shared it so they have to keep sharing through the nitty gritty. Whilst Deppy aren't vloggers, even with them not out I'd say they have a more invested fanbase than most youtubers so I think it still applies.

These are relationships which lasted 8 and 10 years respectively. Its not just the short-term stuff that can crumble (e.g. Hannah and Ingrid) and whilst I can't see the boys ever heading in that direction, its still quite sobering to watch this shit.

This post was brought to you by I'm Normally Gagging For Them To Come Out But Sometimes My Brain Turns Itself On[/offtopic]
[offtopic]This is exactly the reason I think they won't come out. Only if their careers would end or they were forced to because private information that confirmed phan was leaked. Dan even said that he would keep a relationship private (and Phil agreed, it sounded like they were talking about phan ) in Becoming YouTube. This was some time ago, but I'm pretty sure they still think like that and that's why they never shared any relationship with fans since they started YouTube.
Tbh, as long as there's no #phandivorced, I can live with that.[/offtopic]
pulvis et umbra sumus
wtfamidoinghere
lady door

I really hope that YTR offered them a deal that made deppy more money than any other way of publishing it, because if they chose YTR because they thought that would be best for their viewers, then that would be stupid tragic. They must have known that their audience would want to actually own the videos and rewatch a lot. They also know hopefully that nobody wants to have a YTR subscription. I just don't get it. There had to be a better option. Is vimeo not available in all countries? But then again, neither is YTR. I'm so salty on behalf of all the people who have to pay for a subscription and can only watch for a month :lol:

Or maybe i'm still salty about the death of EU tatinof and their insulting silence on the topic

I'm really excited for the show and docu though! It's overshadowed by lots of work related stress, but i can't wait! That first "gift" was a joke though, i hope the next days bring something better :D
syzygy
drama llama

Lurktacularr wrote:I'm hammering the OT button this week but here we go:

I was wanting to mention this too, because I've been thinking a lot about YT couples breaking up in the context of D&P. Although selfishly I would love for them to come clean about their relationship, I can understand why they would have no interest in doing that considering how so many YT couples seem to fail. There's a liveshow somewhere where Dan talks about Anthony and Kalel's breakup and says something along the lines of a public relationship being 'terrifying'. It's a completely understandable mindset to have when you look at how much pressure and expectations couples in the public eye are under.
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

I know HEH doesn't prove anything but it's adorable and what I would accept as the "gift" from that video seeing as because of IDB, (and watching their liveshows, other videos, etc.) we mostly knew already what was gonna happen:
It's adorbs and makes me full

Every time a YT couple breaks up, I become anxious for Deppy (even if they're not a couple and just friends, but I'm a phanbeliever so.....). I know that they have a strong bond but the pessimistic side of me makes me constantly think about how #phandivorced would come about if it does come about. I do think it's the mentality of preparing myself for the worst but hoping for the best. But I really hope it never happpens. Watched Coleen and Josh's videos about the impending divorce and my heart just ached for both of them. :wahh:
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?
ravenreyes
sofa crease

relationships on youtube is a kind of fascinating thing, but it also seems kind of terrifying tbh. it feels like quite a few couples have broken up lately and some seem to not even know what to do on youtube anymore bc their relationship was such a big part of their content. while it's a personal thing and people should obviously be respectful either way, i think it also depends on how much you share. like people who daily vlog and do videos together all the time vs people who mostly do things seperately. idk i just find the whole like youtube ''culture'' or whatever you want to call it really interesting.

but getting back to d&p, if they're together i don't really see them ever really coming out as a couple. at most i could maybe see them not caring about what people see but never commenting on it and just leaving it at that. unless it's something like a big leak or something. same thing if they're in a relationship with someone else as well i guess, not caring what people see but never commenting on it.

i feel like there's more i want to say but i can't really put it into words

edit: i've never watched colleen or josh, but that video made me really sad :cry:

also this conversation made me think of this rose&rosie video:
english is not my first language
Lurktacularr
procrastinator

ravenreyes wrote: also this conversation made me think of this rose&rosie video:
That's such an interesting vid, thanks for sharing

And oh man, 8:10 - 8:30 felt... familiar 8-)
I wonder how biology can explain the physical pain you feel in your chest when all you want to do is talk shit on IDB
karma_yeah
philussy

Artdefines06 wrote:Kinda random 2am thoughts about YTR here

Info on getting a permanent copy of the video
http://www.wikihow.com/Download-YouTube-Videos

I should sleep now.[/spoiler]
Thank you for this! I'm in the U.S. and am less than happy about not having permanent access to it after buying it. I just as soon buy on a CD ffs. (I'll have to enlist the help of my teen-aged daughter or one of her friends to figure out how to do it)

ravenreyes wrote: this is a bit late, but i randomly came across this gifset of dan talking about tattoos and remembered that it had been mentioned on here recently. also lmao it gets a bit ~deep for a random talk about tattoos
This is one of the things I find endearing about Dan. I can see how it is equally one of the things others would find annoying. Not sure I'd want to live with it though . . .
What goes around, comes around Image
lishachi
eclipse shirt

000dia000 wrote:
ravenreyes wrote:

OT: but who knew the last seven years would suddenly make a lot more sense after seeing these gifs? wow
wow i did not expect him to of said that. fair enough, it is a big commitment in a sense i mean obviously it stays with you forever

"I'm not saying I'm afraid of commitment, I'm saying I'm unsure of - I'm - I can't commit to myself. Because maybe I'm not that confident about my own identity. Wow."

wow indeed, says alot really, very interesting. (when he decides to get some, if he does, i'll just be here > ) fair point anyway
:biflag: :blackheart:
uglyamerican
woodland creature

wtfamidoinghere wrote:I really hope that YTR offered them a deal that made deppy more money than any other way of publishing it, because if they chose YTR because they thought that would be best for their viewers, then that would be stupid tragic. They must have known that their audience would want to actually own the videos and rewatch a lot. They also know hopefully that nobody wants to have a YTR subscription. I just don't get it. There had to be a better option. Is vimeo not available in all countries? But then again, neither is YTR. I'm so salty on behalf of all the people who have to pay for a subscription and can only watch for a month :lol:

Or maybe i'm still salty about the death of EU tatinof and their insulting silence on the topic

I'm really excited for the show and docu though! It's overshadowed by lots of work related stress, but i can't wait! That first "gift" was a joke though, i hope the next days bring something better :D
I think that YTR offered them "a deal they couldn't refuse," in that YTR fronted (paid for) the production costs of the TATINOF "liveshow" video in exchange for exclusive distribution and marketing thereof. Filming the liveshow at the Dolby was not cheap, and I'm not sure that D&P and their tour sponsors could have financed that production on their own (or wanted to accept the risk of not recouping the cost of production.) Perhaps a "sweetener" of the overall deal was YTR picking up the costs of the tour doc, a project that the boys had planned and financed on their own (with their sponsors.) Anyway, what I *think* is happening is that YTR is pushing up the release of liveshow programs independent of the UK rollout of YTR, and I think Dan *might* be disappointed with that strategy / decision. And although he initially dismissed complaints about the lack of a "physical copy" of the show / doc programs, he *might* be having second thoughts (as he does with *just*about*everything* it seems.) Having the tour book helps, and perhaps that was his thought process at the time, but he was also thinking that the show were going to be part of a bigger thing - the rollout - but that seems not to be happening now. And the overall negative reaction of the fanbase to the YTR subscription model has got to make one second-guess a decision to go that with distribution route. I personally would have preferred an iTunes, Amazon Prime, or Netflix release, (or Bluray) mainly because it's more likely that fans already have access to those services, and there's some permanence associated with those firmly established channels.
teamug
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

How many youtubers have video content that is outside of ytr now?

'cause one "incentive" to remain with Google/Youtube might be pressure to kowtow to the overlord. Youtube giveth and apparently nowadays youtube taketh away (ad money, if nothing else).

Google has a lot of power/control and they gained it quickly and let's just say that nice people don't rise to the top that fast and stay there, like Google has.

Personally, I think that the 'chats' shot with deppy about tatinof have more to do with improving the image of ytr than promoting deps.
Cora
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh

I look forward to finally using my free month of YTR to watch this, as I've gotten very sick of telling the pop-ups no.
Though it does amuse me that I'll be redeeming it for Deppy and not saving it to watch the YTR movie I was in. #noragrets

Though I do hope YTR learns the error of their ways soon. I know they're banking on YTR being a Hulu-style constant revenue stream, but if it's not available in several major countries, you can't just offer a take backsies Amazon/ITunes style. One or the other brah. One or the other.
realeyesrealize
living flop

daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

I guess we'll just have to figure out a way to download the vid and save it before ytr is available in our countries. I've seen other youtubers movies in "totally legal" sites so it seems it is possible. I sure as hell don't want to pay for the two vids if they're gonna be taken away from me later on.

I do think that ytr will be a flop tho, so far the only thing that has caught my attention is deppy's tour but it is in no way motivation enough to pay $10 a month for.

Looking forward to phil's ls. I was afraid that he wouldn't do one due to the "gifts" so i'm happy we'll have both!
SquishPhan
capita£ester

realeyesrealize wrote:
It was still a bit awkward, but I enjoyed this one more than yesterday's one. Really excited to see the story of tatinof. :D
tylerrjoseph
butt chair

so this one was a bit less awkward i think, but what caught my attention was phil saying how he'd wake up and the camera crew was in his face and dan said 'yeah, it was violating" i mean interpret that however you want but all i caught was they aren't going to avoid bedgate, we're either gonna be hit with bed footage or they're gonna come up w some lies... hm
--> platform 7, manchester picadilly station