Dan & Phil part 26: You’ve got an impressive length

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
JoeAverage
sad dimple

papierklemmen wrote:re: #DanLester though - didn't we already find out a while ago that Phil is "Mr. Marriage-is-a-piece-of-paper"? :lol:
we all know dan can be persuasive, and by persuasive i mean he will be whining until getting his way like a bratty child.

edit: sorry for my shitty post being on the top of the page
Phil Lester is a genius
anathema
morning quiff
Pronouns: she/her

papierklemmen wrote:re: #DanLester though - didn't we already find out a while ago that Phil is "Mr. Marriage-is-a-piece-of-paper"? :lol:
Phil actually said that "marriage is only a piece of paper if neither of the people are happy", didn't he? Unless he said that some other time I'm not aware of (I'm thinking of when he said it in the sims).

My thoughts on the doc: though slightly more scripted than I would have liked, I really enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed the rehearsal bits, my theater-nerd self was living . I also thought the bus tour bit was hilarious and I was laughing through-out the whole thing.

Busgate can go die in a hole :x :x

Loved that Dan went with the rest of the Lesters to the museum
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
ravenreyes
sofa crease

lishachi wrote:[offtopic]do you guys prefer the gaming channel or their individual content? i find myself rewatching gaming videos and some of phils videos, like DITL or the Sleepless Night With Phil etc, but only very rarely will i rewatch dans. like i find them funny the first time, but rewatching doesn't really do anything for me. idk.

(sorry if this has been asked before)[/offtopic]

lmao i seem to be in the minority, but i mostly rewatch dapg and dan's videos. i have rewatched some of phil's solo stuff, but if i rewatch something on his channel it's mostly ditl, baking videos and other things they've done together.

edit: also thank you d&p for reminding me that i needed to watch bsg, i think it's going to take over my life for a little while
english is not my first language
Winston
flower crown

I was re-watching the doc, and tell me if I am delusional (I have been up for 24 hours, and am sick) but do I see a little jealous Dan?
Right after they come off stage, at 56:23-56:27? I mean I even slowed it down. But he seems to really not like that backstage guy getting handsy with his Philly-pops. Then remembers the camera, looks right down the barrel (OH SHIT) then over reacts a bit to the crowds reaction. no? just me?
:lol: Also I have never slowed down a video before, hilarious. They sound drunk af. (wow I need sleep... )
Last edited by Winston on Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
actions speak louder than words
melon lord
morning quiff

bluewho wrote:My entire post is full of spoilers:
I feel like I watched a different documentary from other posters in few ways, and some of the posts I’ve read have been a little too negative I think. Although I’m not totally caught up yet, let me explain:

re: busgate
Yes there was No Phano, but I also saw a lot of intentional ambiguity.

Right after the garishly over-acted rock paper scissors event, in which it was decided only Phil should sleep in the bed, we are given a close up of the Dan and Phil sign on “Phil’s” bedroom door.

Then comes the shot of Dan clambering out of the bunk, with the Dan and Phil sign clearly on display behind his head – seemingly contradicting the whole scene. Like a clue, or selective honesty for those who look for it, that things aren’t as they are made to appear to be on the surface.

Dan jumps down, hair straightened, black sweater peeking out from underneath his collar – almost as if he’d already gotten dressed that day and the whole affair was staged.

Then the shot of them evidently in the same bed together, with Dan “annoying” Phil in that soft way. Calling into question the whole clambering-out-of-the-bunk part. An assertion of ambiguity, and a scene which feels ten times more honest than the over the top ‘rock paper scissors’ discussion. A no bunk moment.

Phil can’t even get the official story right. When we are first shown the bunks he says ‘my bunk’, ‘I can’ watch anime in this bunk. An obvious contradiction. They’re not even trying. They’re almost trying to poke holes in their own story. A story which even without their deliberate attacks on it was already flimsy.

These are things they know we’d notice. They would not let a dirt great big Dan and Phil sign escape their notice when they were editing. They’ve edited it like: cover story > ambiguity questioning the cover story > cover story > ambiguity questioning the cover story. And the net effect is a mixed message. It’s a non-answer.

And I don’t blame them. I don’t want them to come clean and tell me that they slept together every night that they could. I don’t want them to tell me that they were/are a couple. Because I know they must have Reasons for not saying so. I know that they are lying because it’s what’s best for them. I don’t know what those Reasons are, but I respect them. I want Dan and Phil to do what’s best for Dan and Phil – they don’t owe me anything. They don’t owe me the truth, they owe themselves happiness. If lying is what they have to do to protect themselves then lie to me, and then lie some more.

Until they decide, after thought and consideration, that being open about the nature of their relationship is what’s best for them, I’d rather be lied to.

re: the documentary overall
I liked it. It was funny, it was sweet. The linting part was the best kind of torture, but I’m sure this was intentional too. I enjoyed tatinof a lot more, and in some places in the documentary I found my attention drifting - I think I’ve even enjoyed their YouTube videos more – but it was fine. I could also be my state of mind as I was a little melancholy before I started watching.

Credit to missemma for spotting the jumper under Dan’s pyjama top, and to mez29 for reminding me about Phil’s pronouns during the initial bus tour.

re: shipbaiting

I think the fanfiction section was all in good fun, and not shipbaiting. I think it’s not shipbaiting because I 100% believe Dan and Phil have had/are in a romantic relationship – thus any jokes stemming from this come from a place of honesty and not deception. Note that I said romantic relationship – which doesn’t necessarily mean it has to be sexual and/or officially labelled a relationship. But when we are talking about two men who live together, who so clearly care for each other and demonstrate this fondness time and time again, I think we are talking about something that’s romantic. But don’t mind me, I’ll just be over here in the corner projecting my own experiences of crossing & blurring the lines between friends and lovers, and wondering if that line is so hard and fast.
Artdefines06 wrote:As cute as the chosen fanfic parts were, they were strangely not the shippiest options. Show me the darn pirates in space eating cake. I need to see phils face when he is delightfully shoving cake into dan's mouth by hand. I need to see the part where they got so close to holding hands their molecules were touching and the whole theater held its breath, Give it to me or I will revolt.
Are you going to bring the pitchforks, or shall I?

re:...um....sharing underwear
Not sure if this has been discussed but we get a flash of both Dan and Phil's underwear during the doc (I only know this because Winston told me, not because I was looking, it is all Winston's fault so you should all go and take this topic up with Winston if you have a problem with it ). Anyway, they are both Calvin Kleins - and this is Dan and Phil we're talking about so I have to ask - are they, you know, the same pair...? :gg:
To be fair it seems like you're reaching just a tiny bit. The whole bus tour is meant to parody Welcome to My Crib. So that is why Phil is saying like my bunk, my anime. The door sign was given by a fan and it's extremely typical of documentaries to zoom in on objects while there is a voiceover or noise.

If Dan playing with Phils hair and Phil doing the sleepy kiss part was too private/betraying for them then I'm sure they would have cut it.

I can't comment on the sweater cause I don't know their pyjama habits. :lol: If anything, Phil's socks changing was more of a clue because you can add extra layers if you're cold but why switch your socks?

lishachi
eclipse shirt

Winston wrote:I was re-watching the doc, and tell me if I am delusional (I have been up for 24 hours, and am sick) but do I see a little jealous Dan?
Right after they come off stage, at 56:23-56:27? I mean I even slowed it down. But he seems to really not like that backstage guy getting handsy with his Philly-pops. Then remembers the camera, looks right down the barrel (OH SHIT) then over reacts a bit to the crowds reaction. no? just me?
:lol: Also I have never slowed down a video before, hilarious. They sound drunk af. (wow I need sleep... )
just had a look, he does seem to kind of glare at him, then exhales (with a nice amount of sweat dripping down his face) then sort of looks at them/the backstage guy? (idk theyre out of shot) weirdly. maybe they said something im not sure.

[offtopic]i always seem to do off topics but markiplier has started playing FNAF: Sister Location if anyone's interested and it's actually really cool. much different to the other games. hope d&p play it although may have to be a long video and this game is much longer. (marks are like 30 mins atm)[/offtopic]
:biflag: :blackheart:
vincentian
hobbit hair

Watched both doc and show on 5th but only now fully caught up with the thread oops, and it was a fascinating read. Reading all your reviews made the experience of being a deppy’s stan at this time x1000 better.
TATINOF show: I enjoyed seeing them perform something on stage and that they could actually do it decently. The show itself was good for what it is. I guess it’s a totally different experience live and I now I wish I could get a bit of that vibe. I didn’t cringe at all, but I feel like the show had a bit much “looking back” feeling to it, very attached to youtube, a bit too theatrical. But it’s silly to want something else when it was such a success lol. Best bit is obviously the singing number at the end. And it was interesting to see a mix of conflicting emotions on deppy's faces on close up shots when audience reacted at certain moments (like people going aww at the start of singing, them intently staring at each other and others etc.).

Documentary:
- Really heartwarming to see the director Ed acknowledge that Dan and Phil are very hard-working and determined, even though it’s their doc and this opinion is not candid. Still, seeing all the behind-the scenes work, seems like a lot of effort went into making of the show, props to and their team.
- The doc had a bit of third-perspective to it, as if it’s not their own doc, which looked a bit alienating with green-screen filmed “interviews” and fans saying D&P are their inspiration. But those parts were well-measured, so they didn’t bother me too much.
- Generally I expected a bit more DITL-material in the doc as did many of you. But the few moments we got were cute. I agree that Phil was especially highlighted in the doc and it made me learn about his personality and appreciate it even more. No deppy hug - oh well. One day we'll get it, one day.
- “Let’s go home” – what a weird (yet endearing?) way to end the doc. Same as in the Variety article, people wanna know what’s next, TV? Feature length movie? World domination? And they’re like – nah, we’re gonna sleep for a year. It's so them! I bet they have something in the works tho.
It's so normal of them to be visiting museums when the Lester family's in town. Love that they had Cornelia and Dan with them. Voted for Dan at Boncas, idk why. Might vote for Phil with proxy later.
Really looking forward to whatever we’re getting on Sunday. And also
Last edited by vincentian on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSA
dank meme

Sorry for busting into the conversation like this, but I was just watching the tatinof doc again and I don't know if that's been talked about here before, but
see that thing I circled in the picture? Correct me if I'm wrong or if this has been cleared up before, but that honestly looks like a durex condom to me.
taetaewl
glabella

TSA wrote:see that thing I circled in the picture? Correct me if I'm wrong or if this has been cleared up before, but that honestly looks like a durex condom to me.
Could be any kind of wrapping honestly I wouldn't think dnp would carelessly leave in a condom wrap in their documentary, given as we know them as control freaks they must have looked through the film a hundred time before publishing the final.

Btw... how do we know this is phil's pillow and not Dan's... justsaying
mio
#relatable

Kinda off topic?
I decided to watch Lilly's Trip to Unicorn Island movie today because the premise seems really similar to the TATINOF doc and I was curious how it differs from it (and not because I have a guilty crush on her, nope). Anybody else who has seen both and has thoughts on this?
I'll put mine under a cut (spoiler I loved it)
- I wouldn't have any interest in watching her show live because I feel like her content is aimed at an even younger demographic but BTS stuff is always fascinating

- this movie seems a lot more about telling the whole story and thus is appropriate for people not familiar with her content. Made me realize how much the Tatinof Doc is cut out for hardcore fans. There is not much introduction to them as people or their content or a timeline, the Doc just jumps right into it and is disjointed in it's content as other people have pointed out. I appreciate that Lilly gave some insight into her background and personal life and made the whole thing chronological.

- This had a bit more of creative development of the show and the idea behind it, which I missed in deppy's doc. On the other hand there are similar scenes like planning the stage design and the dance rehearsals. Love how Lilly's shown interacting with the dancers and other crew a lot.

- Her work ethic is doing the opposite thing to me than Deppy's, e.g. it's making me feel bad about my own laziness :lol: Not surprised about her having a mental breakdown at some point though NGL

- genuine stress, pressure and last minute decisions (visa, costumes, animation) YES I live for this shit. In that way Deppy's doc seems a lot more polished, they only show some really minor problems they encounter along the way. Some of the drama in Unicorn island seems exaggerated in the way reality TV does it but well...

- her crew is like 0% straight white guys and I know it's not surprising with her background and message but it's still giving me life

- The pre-show scenes from 46:10 on are so emotional and the thing she said to her dancers was so touching I teared up a bit I just love her attitude.

- They also really managed to get the team spirit across, while we get only glimpses of that in the tatinof doc, probably because Deppy are a lot more introverted and single player type?

- So. Many. Hugs. (I'm not being salty nope)

- she doesn't seem to have a “no cameras” policy, or at least nobody in the audience seems to care

- is she actually dating that Poet guy? after watching this movie I wouldn't be surprised

- there are some genuine deep thoughts from her about having doubts, feeling lonely in her experience and not being happy, wow I didn't expect this from this kind of format (the whole part from 1:01:30 on is interesting psychologically speaking, and also makes me kind of sad, especially the part at 1:05:00 about meeting fans and being seen as a human)

- there is even more focus on how her videos changed people's lives than in the tatinof doc. Related to the discussion here earlier about people telling Deppy they saved their lives. I think for Lilly, empowering her audience is an integral part of her image so it fits better into the whole of the documentary and I found the interviews with fans way less cringe worthy and actually quite touching?

general thought: while I got a kind of more distant vibe from deppy in the show and doc compared to their videos, this one felt really personal and she seemed vulnerable at some parts. I don't know if the Hollywood style dramaturgy just suits her better because she's more open about her life and settled into the celeb world then Deppy to begin with or it's a more “American thing” but this is the difference that stood out the most for me.

Closing thought: Both of these documentaries are a product of how the people behind it want to be seen, on their yt channels etc. While Lilly has this really strong motivation to bring across her message and work on herself, Dan and Phil's content was always about not going into things too deep, telling funny anecdotes and being relatable but nothing actually personal. And it reflects in what they show in the bst and what they don't.

Tldr: It was fun to compare those two movies because there are so many obvious parallels in the setting but they managed to make two completely different things out of it. I loved both for different reasons, Lilly's for the emotions and because I respect her for her hard work and Deppy's for all the cute little details and stories and because I love them as people
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Rigby wrote:Phil retweeted Dan's tweet about the BONCAS (anyone else reading that as "bonkers"?)
Same and I keep thinking of this song
kuensukki wrote: Its kinda what makes them unique in a youtuber sense is that they showed the sensitive nerdy guys who don't exactly need to be alpha male macho lads to be well received.
tbf YouTube used to be ruled by the nerdy uncool people like D&P and I guess that's what attracted them to the website in 2006 (as creator and viewer) just like it attracted me. Watching and doing YouTube used to be weird. But since YouTube has become more mainstream all the people who would've been the cool kids in high school now reign supreme. Still, it says a lot that our fave nerdy uncool people have a fanbase that's dedicated like no other. Their mostly teen audience recognize themselves in D&P (or who D&P used to be as teenagers anyway, which a lot of their content is based around) more than they ever would in the 'cool' people.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
MultipleKitty
tol bean
Pronouns: they/them #didissues

TSA wrote:Sorry for busting into the conversation like this, but I was just watching the tatinof doc again and I don't know if that's been talked about here before, but
see that thing I circled in the picture? Correct me if I'm wrong or if this has been cleared up before, but that honestly looks like a durex condom to me.
It actually does, SURELY they didn't just leave that there and on top of the tissues haha, laziness or convenience?! Then again remember #lubegate so we know that Dan at least is always fucking up, by leaving something in shot :o Oops I forgot that's for their (forgot who was who's fake gf) merch GF, those platonic bros.

Tour = was beautiful. Enough domestic and cute moments that I could handle the #busgate and I was a little drunk by then.

Show = was so cringe-y I had to get my strawberry daiquiri before I could go much further but they looked so happy, babies.
Hannah Elizabeth. Holly Annabelle.
Daisy-Emily Rose. April-Mae.
Ally Alice. Holly Leafiee.
Holly Kitty. Damon James.
Laurisa/Rissa. Alex.
Hana. Serra.
eevee
emo goose

TSA wrote:Sorry for busting into the conversation like this, but I was just watching the tatinof doc again and I don't know if that's been talked about here before, but
I see what you mean but it's gotta be something else :lol: there's just no way imo
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
starlight-still
truth bomb

Winston wrote:I was re-watching the doc, and tell me if I am delusional (I have been up for 24 hours, and am sick) but do I see a little jealous Dan?
::they both walk off stage::
::Dan peeps the camera at 56:24 as the other backstage guy helps him remove his jacket::
::Dan locks eyes with the backstage guy like 'hoe don't do it'::

Backstage guy: Well done ::the hand pat on the back of fate::
Dan: :o
Dan: ::stares deadass into the guy's eyes for a solid three seconds::
::the opening bars of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" mysteriously start playing::
::wait, that's just in Dan's head::
Dan: WOOOO! ::stares at camera, rolls his eyes up, then laughs::
Other backstage guy: ::smirks silently in the background::
Dan: I think we did it!
Phil: I think we did it.

What my ified heart would like to believe is that Dan internally wanted to grab Phil by the waist, press his head against his chest, and hold him there for an eternity before pulling him away, kissing his sweaty brow and whispering "I think we did it." But he sees the camera. He knows that this is a prime moment that they'll want in the docu and is unlikely to get cut. So he restrains himself (that and he's actually restrained at that moment by the jacket being removed). Meanwhile, the backstage guy gives Phil an awkward pat. Dan thinks "really...this is what's stealing away our moment...OK" and laughs to himself.

Here's another bit of for you: who is that guy anyway? And why is he standing so close to the Dil head?

I imagine that whatever they are, Phil is the type of person who might have folks innocently flirting with him quite a bit because he's just so...open and unassuming? Like he would bring it out of them instinctively. He comes across as attractive and kind and doesn't seem like someone who would be easily offended. I suspect many of those moments can be found on the cutting room floor.
taetaewl wrote: Btw... how do we know this is phil's pillow and not Dan's... justsaying
#wherewasharu
eevee
emo goose

Who took this photo then? management?
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
bluewho
truth bomb

melon lord wrote:
bluewho wrote:My entire post is full of spoilers:
I feel like I watched a different documentary from other posters in few ways, and some of the posts I’ve read have been a little too negative I think. Although I’m not totally caught up yet, let me explain:

re: busgate
Yes there was No Phano, but I also saw a lot of intentional ambiguity.

Right after the garishly over-acted rock paper scissors event, in which it was decided only Phil should sleep in the bed, we are given a close up of the Dan and Phil sign on “Phil’s” bedroom door.

Then comes the shot of Dan clambering out of the bunk, with the Dan and Phil sign clearly on display behind his head – seemingly contradicting the whole scene. Like a clue, or selective honesty for those who look for it, that things aren’t as they are made to appear to be on the surface.

Dan jumps down, hair straightened, black sweater peeking out from underneath his collar – almost as if he’d already gotten dressed that day and the whole affair was staged.

Then the shot of them evidently in the same bed together, with Dan “annoying” Phil in that soft way. Calling into question the whole clambering-out-of-the-bunk part. An assertion of ambiguity, and a scene which feels ten times more honest than the over the top ‘rock paper scissors’ discussion. A no bunk moment.

Phil can’t even get the official story right. When we are first shown the bunks he says ‘my bunk’, ‘I can’ watch anime in this bunk. An obvious contradiction. They’re not even trying. They’re almost trying to poke holes in their own story. A story which even without their deliberate attacks on it was already flimsy.

These are things they know we’d notice. They would not let a dirt great big Dan and Phil sign escape their notice when they were editing. They’ve edited it like: cover story > ambiguity questioning the cover story > cover story > ambiguity questioning the cover story. And the net effect is a mixed message. It’s a non-answer.

And I don’t blame them. I don’t want them to come clean and tell me that they slept together every night that they could. I don’t want them to tell me that they were/are a couple. Because I know they must have Reasons for not saying so. I know that they are lying because it’s what’s best for them. I don’t know what those Reasons are, but I respect them. I want Dan and Phil to do what’s best for Dan and Phil – they don’t owe me anything. They don’t owe me the truth, they owe themselves happiness. If lying is what they have to do to protect themselves then lie to me, and then lie some more.

Until they decide, after thought and consideration, that being open about the nature of their relationship is what’s best for them, I’d rather be lied to.

re: the documentary overall
I liked it. It was funny, it was sweet. The linting part was the best kind of torture, but I’m sure this was intentional too. I enjoyed tatinof a lot more, and in some places in the documentary I found my attention drifting - I think I’ve even enjoyed their YouTube videos more – but it was fine. I could also be my state of mind as I was a little melancholy before I started watching.

Credit to missemma for spotting the jumper under Dan’s pyjama top, and to mez29 for reminding me about Phil’s pronouns during the initial bus tour.

re: shipbaiting

I think the fanfiction section was all in good fun, and not shipbaiting. I think it’s not shipbaiting because I 100% believe Dan and Phil have had/are in a romantic relationship – thus any jokes stemming from this come from a place of honesty and not deception. Note that I said romantic relationship – which doesn’t necessarily mean it has to be sexual and/or officially labelled a relationship. But when we are talking about two men who live together, who so clearly care for each other and demonstrate this fondness time and time again, I think we are talking about something that’s romantic. But don’t mind me, I’ll just be over here in the corner projecting my own experiences of crossing & blurring the lines between friends and lovers, and wondering if that line is so hard and fast.
Artdefines06 wrote:As cute as the chosen fanfic parts were, they were strangely not the shippiest options. Show me the darn pirates in space eating cake. I need to see phils face when he is delightfully shoving cake into dan's mouth by hand. I need to see the part where they got so close to holding hands their molecules were touching and the whole theater held its breath, Give it to me or I will revolt.
Are you going to bring the pitchforks, or shall I?

re:...um....sharing underwear
Not sure if this has been discussed but we get a flash of both Dan and Phil's underwear during the doc (I only know this because Winston told me, not because I was looking, it is all Winston's fault so you should all go and take this topic up with Winston if you have a problem with it ). Anyway, they are both Calvin Kleins - and this is Dan and Phil we're talking about so I have to ask - are they, you know, the same pair...? :gg:
To be fair it seems like you're reaching just a tiny bit. The whole bus tour is meant to parody Welcome to My Crib. So that is why Phil is saying like my bunk, my anime. The door sign was given by a fan and it's extremely typical of documentaries to zoom in on objects while there is a voiceover or noise.

If Dan playing with Phils hair and Phil doing the sleepy kiss part was too private/betraying for them then I'm sure they would have cut it.

I can't comment on the sweater cause I don't know their pyjama habits. :lol: If anything, Phil's socks changing was more of a clue because you can add extra layers if you're cold but why switch your socks?
You're right of course, but reaching and shitposting is kind of my role around here
Artdefines06 wrote:
Also, I had a crazy thought earlier. I was thinking about my highschool days, which are snuggled right between DnP's (class of '06). I went to hollywood highschool in Los Angeles, and I was part of the theater school. Back then, even in the heart of Hollywood there were very few openly gay kids, and they did get bullied. Some people were gay but fronted being straight. Doing theater was iffy - doing musical theater was a death wish if you didn't want to be seen as gay. No one claimed to be Bi or lesbian, although I'm sure some people were. It occurred to me how much the atmosphere has changed since then.

This occurred to me while I was looking at a gif of DnP rehearsing the dancing section of their show, and even in rehearsal Dan is swinging his hips and putting his all into it and looking very pleased with himself. The show where they do a flashing broadway number, unironically. Where Dan makes an even peters statement unironically after listening to a girl confess her attraction to another girl. A show where two boys act out fanfiction, and while Dan shows some reluctance, Phil does not. At the end of that bit he smiles and says "But I was enjoying making my drawing".

In the show they don't bother to explain who they are, or that they are "just roomates", or any of that. Its two guys who know each other's bath habits, know that one of the is a bit of a silly klutz, have domestic arguments that they resolve with silly games, are willing to act out romantic scenes with each other, and then sing and dance about how happy they are that the internet brought them together.

Put the documentary aside and just look at the show. If the kids from my highschool saw that show there would be the haters calling them gay, and the gay kids proud of them for being brave enough to come out. There would be no in between.

I love that there is now an in between. I love that more and more people are opening up about being different from the norm, and I believe they are bullied less than they were even 5 years ago, let alone 10. I think things are changing to where we can accept that dancing in a broadway show doesn't have to make you "gay", but if you are, thats cool too.
uglyamerican
woodland creature

Catallena wrote:
Rigby wrote:Phil retweeted Dan's tweet about the BONCAS (anyone else reading that as "bonkers"?)
Same and I keep thinking of this song
kuensukki wrote: Its kinda what makes them unique in a youtuber sense is that they showed the sensitive nerdy guys who don't exactly need to be alpha male macho lads to be well received.
tbf YouTube used to be ruled by the nerdy uncool people like D&P and I guess that's what attracted them to the website in 2006 (as creator and viewer) just like it attracted me. Watching and doing YouTube used to be weird. But since YouTube has become more mainstream all the people who would've been the cool kids in high school now reign supreme. Still, it says a lot that our fave nerdy uncool people have a fanbase that's dedicated like no other. Their mostly teen audience recognize themselves in D&P (or who D&P used to be as teenagers anyway, which a lot of their content is based around) more than they ever would in the 'cool' people.
This ^^^.
bee
phabergé

Artdefines06 wrote:
Will I be flogged if I admit that I voted for someone else on the individual category? (Dan Bull, he's awesome, check him out if you like video games and white british rapping)

Also, I had a crazy thought earlier. I was thinking about my highschool days, which are snuggled right between DnP's (class of '06). I went to hollywood highschool in Los Angeles, and I was part of the theater school. Back then, even in the heart of Hollywood there were very few openly gay kids, and they did get bullied. Some people were gay but fronted being straight. Doing theater was iffy - doing musical theater was a death wish if you didn't want to be seen as gay. No one claimed to be Bi or lesbian, although I'm sure some people were. It occurred to me how much the atmosphere has changed since then.

This occurred to me while I was looking at a gif of DnP rehearsing the dancing section of their show, and even in rehearsal Dan is swinging his hips and putting his all into it and looking very pleased with himself. The show where they do a flashing broadway number, unironically. Where Dan makes an even peters statement unironically after listening to a girl confess her attraction to another girl. A show where two boys act out fanfiction, and while Dan shows some reluctance, Phil does not. At the end of that bit he smiles and says "But I was enjoying making my drawing".

In the show they don't bother to explain who they are, or that they are "just roomates", or any of that. Its two guys who know each other's bath habits, know that one of the is a bit of a silly klutz, have domestic arguments that they resolve with silly games, are willing to act out romantic scenes with each other, and then sing and dance about how happy they are that the internet brought them together.

Put the documentary aside and just look at the show. If the kids from my highschool saw that show there would be the haters calling them gay, and the gay kids proud of them for being brave enough to come out. There would be no in between.

I love that there is now an in between. I love that more and more people are opening up about being different from the norm, and I believe they are bullied less than they were even 5 years ago, let alone 10. I think things are changing to where we can accept that dancing in a broadway show doesn't have to make you "gay", but if you are, thats cool too.
from me for this post too

I watched both films now. But especially the show I loved a lot. I think it's pretty amazing what they've done. I was mostly annoyed by the stupid thing the whole last year, but now I've seen it I feel differently. I really think they've made something special.
pixlexia
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

This is really obvious so maybe everyone caught it but me, but at one part in the doc it zooms in on the script and you can see part of the "delicious cake option"
also seriously screw that handwriting
(insert a funny quote from the forum here)
eevee
emo goose

pixlexia wrote:This is really obvious so maybe everyone caught it but me, but at one part in the doc it zooms in on the script and you can see part of the "delicious cake option"
Why did they even bother learning that one :lol:
melon lord
morning quiff

pixlexia wrote:This is really obvious so maybe everyone caught it but me, but at one part in the doc it zooms in on the script and you can see part of the "delicious cake option"
"this doesn't seem that bad" :lol:

Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

I can confirm that cake option is best option
anathema
morning quiff

eevee wrote:
Who took this photo then? management?
Maybe a friend who lives in LA?
melon lord wrote:
"this doesn't seem that bad" :lol:
Warning: this is me pointlessly trying to figure out what Dan wrote
At the top I think it says "something bad + +" [maybe "* *"?? Probably some shorthand he has?]
Second line is "what's the catch" and "this doesn't seem too[/that?] bad"
"ok...."
"in arms[?] [something I can't figure out without context. I think it ends with "-able" though? I think it might be a stage direction and not a line though.]"
I noticed that too but I assumed it was the cover that's over the tissue hole when you first buy them. I've got no idea why they would leave it on top of the box when it's clearly been opened but that's what it looked like to me
(Also is that an earplug sitting next to the TV remote? lmao)
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

anathema wrote:
Warning: this is me pointlessly trying to figure out what Dan wrote
At the top I think it says "something bad + +" [maybe "* *"?? Probably some shorthand he has?]
Second line is "what's the catch" and "this doesn't seem too[/that?] bad"
"ok...."
"in arms[?] [something I can't figure out without context. I think it ends with "-able" though? I think it might be a stage direction and not a line though.]"
A someone who has seen it - the last line says
im eating, uncomforatable
hannah
butt chair

Artdefines06 wrote:I can confirm that cake option is best option
What was the cake option? Was it innocent? i feel like deppy are the type of people to disguise "feeding eachother cake" as a supposedly less dirty option than french girl, but in reality its even worse only they know that everyone would pick the french girl option instead
that probably made no sense oh well