Dan & Phil part 27: Let's Go Home

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
fleur-de-lis
butt chair
Pronouns: she/her

Can't be a coincidence anymore. I mean I can't blame them, that flat really isn't the nicest and they can easily afford something bigger/more convenient.
gnostic
stress mushroom

annetamiau wrote:The amount of antis we have lately is depressing
Why? Bc not believing in Phan somehow makes us less of a fan? or is this some kind of pro-phan only safe space forum? Not to mention you are using the rather insulting version of the term, which should really be reserved only for those that act disrespectful.
Just here for the marketing skills
dezzawintz
dank meme

I was having a chat with dizzy about this and decided to post:

The thing is, phan is ours as much as it is theirs, but what goes on between Dan Howell and Phil Lester isn't any of our damn business. Sure, I'll be in a long line of people who will be angry if it turns out that they're two straight boys fabricating a mystery to hook an audience, but I really don't think that's what's happening here. I see two people who have grown and matured an incredible amount, who have gained a lot of peace with themselves and their non-archetypal presentations, and who crack enough fourth-wall-breaking jokes about their dynamic to make me feel secure in the belief that I'm not being hoodwinked by two boring straight boys.

Lord knows that there's a whole world of possible connections in between and outside of the friendship/romance binary, and what do I know; the closest I've ever been to meeting them is the few times I've been pissed as a fart in the capital, but I feel a bit like I've watched a different show and documentary to some folks here. Fair one if you've always doubted it, but #bedgate was a drop in the ocean compared to the tongue in cheek we-know-you-know-and-you-know-we-know-you-know vibes I've been getting.
Last edited by dezzawintz on Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
just an existential pigeon trying to have a good time
papierklemmen
flower crown

bear wrote:
papierklemmen wrote:[offtopic]sorry for the offtopic, but i was just wondering, is there more to phan anti-proof than the two blogs on tumblr/is there any compilation or timeline like the one with phan proof? i've only seen the stuff from phantiproof, but i couldn't for the sake of me get anything from phanantiproof since it's 10000% asks and answers, i don't even know wtf is going on there and it doesn't open properly on my computer so i don't know if i'm missing out. i'm especially interested in any analysis of their 2009/2010 twitter/db interactions and videos from the anti point of view which doesn't end with one sentence "oh, everyone did it back then/they were emo/cute friends".
i'm not gonna drag anyone into the pits of antiproof hell, i just want some perspective, i promise! :lol:
if anyone's wondering it's because i wanted to bring some stuff up in the "if you don't ship phan why not" thread now that i have been discovering their older videos and been noticing quite some hardcore immature shipbaiting, along with the now changed clickbaity/shipbaity titles and their general behavior on twitter, but i don't want to upset anyone cause i know no one enjoys the "shipbaiting" discussions and i hope i could discover some of it on my own and come to my own conclusions[/offtopic]
There's counterphan, which is probably the best anti blog (the password is soulmate) and phantiproof (I don't like as much, but they have some valid points.)
There's also antiphannie as well, but they're rude and immature and have almost 0 no good points.
thanks, bear!
IckleMissMayhem wrote: That's 5.
way to be subtle, mr lester.

well, can't wait to see if they'll move together or separately!
SquishPhan
capita£ester

This makes me think that they could move relatively soon, and I'm all for it. :D
cold-tea
delia smith

dezzawintz wrote:I was having a chat with dizzy about this and decided to post:

The thing is, phan is ours as much as it is theirs, but what goes on between Dan Howell and Phil Lester isn't any of our damn business. Sure, I'll be in a long line of people who will be angry if it turns out that they're two straight boys fabricating a mystery to hook an audience, but I really don't think that's what's happening here. I see two people who have grown and matured an incredible amount, who have gained a lot of peace with themselves and their non-archetypal presentations, and who crack enough fourth-wall-breaking jokes about their dynamic to make me feel secure in the belief that I'm not being hoodwinked by two boring straight boys.

Lord knows that there's whole world of possible connections in between and outside of the friendship/romance binary, and what do I know; the closest I've ever been to meeting them is the few times I've been pissed as a fart in the capital, but I feel a bit like I've watched a different show and documentary to some folks here. Fair one if you've always doubted it, but #bedgate was a drop in the ocean compared to the tongue in cheek we-know-you-know-and-you-know-we-know-you-know vibes I've been getting.
Beautiful
eevee
emo goose

If they were really about to move do you think they'd be dropping hints like that, or do you think it's something they're maybe thinking or even talking about, but isn't in the works yet?
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
dans left hand
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

so we finally might get to know the truth if they are moving. if dan and phil move into a house together we will know for a fact that they are definitely in a relationship. if they go their separate ways, then we know they are not in a relationship.. I will 100% believe they are in a relationship if they move into a house together. That will end my 50 / 50.

Dan did mention in his ls as well about how he needs to move as he hasn't got enough space anymore. (something like that, don't take it as a quote, someone find the exact quote please)

even so, if they move out away from each other into separate apartments, the hardcore shipping, no reasoning "demon phannies" will come up with a reason why they haven't moved with each other to their new places.

guys, this may be the parting of the ways though.

we will finally know the truth.
majitzu
angel bean

I think is just coincidence, but I'm living for it.

Can someone make a list of all the 5 moments?

Edit: new rank!
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

gnostic wrote:
Why? Bc not believing in Phan somehow makes us less of a fan? or is this some kind of pro-phan only safe space forum? Not to mention you are using the rather insulting version of the term, which should really be reserved only for those that act disrespectful.

sometimes wish we still had the 'liking' option. Yes this was totally what i was trying to say. I don't feel like I'm being negative when I consider that they are not a couple- i just like to consider the possibilities.
ravenreyes
sofa crease

corn flakes wrote:
NarrysCanary wrote:
I just wanna say something cause it's been bugging me for the past few days, not wanting to state that you know that Phan is real doesn't make you an anti. Antis want phan to not be real at all. I'm gonna speak for myself here, I don't particularly ship phan it doesn't mean I am against the idea of them being together but rather that I don't want to have a fixed opinion on the all thing cause it makes me uncomfortable to say I know they're together or I know they're not together.
I don't think there has been a new amount of antis, cause the only antis we've had were aggressive and refused to hear others' opinions but rather people who want to be the devil's advocate or whatever you want to call it and try to have a civil discussion about the several possibilities of Phan.
It bothers me that you have to be a shipper to be able to post on this forum otherwise you'll be classified as an "anti" or "dangirl" as if it was an insult. I had to pretend to be a shipper at the beginning cause I didn't want to be rejected in a forum that is mostly on the shipping/real side of the fandom and it's not fun.
This part so much. Idk if they are a couple, happy if they are equally happy if they have someone in their lifes. I love to hear opinions that are from all sides if they don't try to come as if they hold the truth or at least not something out of a conspiracy story. I also like more dan's content more, idk why but I do, I like some of phil's solo content and all their joint one but it's bothers me how most use "dangirl" as an insult while it's acceptable to like only phil. I'm saying only let people like what they like, we are all only here to have fun
don't really have much to add, but i agree with both of you.

when it comes to phan i guess i like the idea of it, which sounds weird but w/e, but i mostly don't think that much about it bc i'm not comfortable saying i 100% believe either side. (unless i've read too much ''proof'' or something, then i go into tinhat mode for a couple of days lmao)
same thing when it comes to content, sometimes i just won't say anything bc it feels like some opinions are ''less than''? idk

don't take me too seriously, i have anxiety about everything
lmao
i'm usually not that good at keeping track of small mentions like this, but people pointing it out it making me curious
english is not my first language
eevee
emo goose

dans left hand wrote:so we finally might get to know the truth if they are moving. if dan and phil move into a house together we will know for a fact that they are definitely in a relationship. if they go their separate ways, then we know they are not in a relationship.. I will 100% believe they are in a relationship if they move into a house together. That will end my 50 / 50.
I've asked other people this before but I want to hear all the different reasons everyone has.

Why is moving into a house together the ultimate confirmation of phan? Someone argued that it's a joint investment. That it's the next natural step in a romantic relationship.

I don't know. I feel like youtubers (and regular people) move into houses as roommates a lot and I don't think phan buying a house will be a complete confirmation. It'll be cute and make me happy and all but I don't think I can go as far as to say it's a confirmation.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
daphenaxa
blobfish

dezzawintz wrote:but I feel a bit like I've watched a different show and documentary to some folks here. Fair one if you've always doubted it, but #bedgate was a drop in the ocean compared to the tongue in cheek we-know-you-know-and-you-know-we-know-you-know vibes I've been getting.
same. I was extremely surprised at the incredibly strong and violent response that bedgate thing got on idb.
omg I have NEVER related to one of their tweets so much lol. Once I was on holidays and singing Titanic in the shower and someone screamed at me to shut the fuck up.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
Philena
blobfish

eevee wrote:
dans left hand wrote:so we finally might get to know the truth if they are moving. if dan and phil move into a house together we will know for a fact that they are definitely in a relationship. if they go their separate ways, then we know they are not in a relationship.. I will 100% believe they are in a relationship if they move into a house together. That will end my 50 / 50.
I've asked other people this before but I want to hear all the different reasons everyone has.

Why is moving into a house together the ultimate confirmation of phan? Someone argued that it's a joint investment. That it's the next natural step in a romantic relationship.

I don't know. I feel like youtubers (and regular people) move into houses as roommates a lot and I don't think phan buying a house will be a complete confirmation. It'll be cute and make me happy and all but I don't think I can go as far as to say it's a confirmation.
Nah, certainly not 100% confirmation in any way, shape, or form. 100% confirmation would only be taken from the exact words written or spoken by them.

It would make me happy, though
papierklemmen
flower crown

dans left hand wrote: even so, if they move out away from each other into separate apartments, the hardcore shipping, no reasoning "demon phannies" will come up with a reason why they haven't moved with each other to their new places.
they will probably say they broke up

although i like being all i also think it's just a coincidence lol.

OR they really are determined to go separate ways and that's why they're hinting at it from afar, so we wouldn't be shocked when it happens. please guys, hint harder at what exactly you're going to do , so we can be prepared for the ptsd :lol:

somehow my natural pessimism tells me they won't be moving in together.
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

I really don't think Phil tweeting "time to move" at the end of an embarrassing thing that happened means they are actually moving soon. Actually, has anyone thought they are actually just teasing all of us with the idea of moving because so many people say it all the time to them across social media?? This wouldn't even be the first time they've mentioned something this much and then did nothing. Last year they played along with the whole get a dog thing for months because the phandom kept bringing it up. Do I even need to bring up all the times they talked about dogs last year into this year? Even after dan shut down the idea completely, they still found ways to talk about it. This year, so many people have been asking them to move to a house and what not, why wouldn't they play along with it/tease about it again?
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
SquishPhan
capita£ester

eevee wrote:If they were really about to move do you think they'd be dropping hints like that, or do you think it's something they're maybe thinking or even talking about, but isn't in the works yet?
I do. I think it's their way to prepare the audience for the change in a more gradual way.
For me them choosing to move into a bigger place will just seal the deal more that Phan is real. With their history and looking at the bigger picture, I just can't see it as anything else.
They can definitely afford getting a place on their own, just like Joe and Caspar did.
papierklemmen
flower crown

confusedpanda wrote:I really don't think Phil tweeting "time to move" at the end of an embarrassing thing that happened means they are actually moving soon. Actually, has anyone thought they are actually just teasing all of us with the idea of moving because so many people say it all the time to them across social media?? This wouldn't even be the first time they've mentioned something this much and then did nothing. Last year they played along with the whole get a dog thing for months because the phandom kept bringing it up. Do I even need to bring up all the times they talked about dogs last year into this year? Even after dan shut down the idea completely, they still found ways to talk about it. This year, so many people have been asking them to move to a house and what not, why wouldn't they play along with it/tease about it again?
tru

/end of my humble contribution
melon lord
morning quiff

alittledizzy wrote:
melon lord wrote: If they were hiding a relationshop for 6 years surely they'd be much better at it and avoid any hints of phan existing.
This part I disagree with. They're real people navigating a situation they have no precedent for, starting when one of them was a teenager and one was barely an adult - not professionals with media teams and oodles of PR agents instructing them. I think they've handled this exactly the way I'd expect two people just figuring it out for themselves would, fucking it up a few times then eventually settling into a comfortable middle ground between being out and being so in that everyone knows there's something weird about it.

As many people have worded better than me in the past, they dealt with keeping their relationship private by deciding to allow their fans entitlement to a certain amount (fanfic, fanart, shippy memes, generally phan as a ship born and thriving within the fandom itself) and being at peace with that, but drawing the line at where it crosses over to their actual life (not wanting people to know where they slept for two months).
I'm half asleep so bear with me here (also on my phone so sorry for lack of emojis but giant thumbs fml)

Ofc back in th day they would make mistakes and I totally agree but this is a daily, literally daily, struggle for six years. Like muck ups back then I totally get. Especially with youtuber friends or gaining popularity.

But this isn't just "keep a straight face on tbe internet" and act normal as soo as the camera isoff. This is never ever take a risk as soon as u step out the door, no matter whre yoh are. You neber know who could see you. Who could snap a photo. This is keep your friends to the bare minimum and potentially act "normal" in front of them, too. Because you just dont know if you can trust them or not. Who will blab, on purpose or not. This is not acting like yourselves in front of most if not all youtubers. Cant take that risk. This is the bbc radio crew never knowing. Or letting it slip during radio shows. This is radio crew and youtubers talking about you as a unit and separately and using you to get popularity or to smack talk you or bully you or just fling poo towards you and you can't speak out about it. This is being very careful during so, so many liveshows. This is the pressure of what "Phan" means to fans and how far some will get for it, or how much you know it contributes to your career.

That's a lot to worry about. And it seems for some parts they are okay but honestly at others, like their shared stories or Cornelia giving them away or Louise saying odd things, they are just too sloppy. They are sloppy enough that it seems lazy, almost. They could have sealed themsleves even more than they are but they haven't. Phil and Dan could have had talks about what is shared story and who is "mystery friend" cause they talk a lot about that kind of stuff. They could have given Cornelia and Louise heads up. Or been even more determined to delete old vids or tweets. Or just not interact in ways they KNOW to be shippy.

When I talk about phan not being a couple it doesnt mean I have a secret agenda to prove them str8. For myself, I dunno if I could have handled that pressure day in and day out for six years. I would crack if I was Phil and I read/hears what Dan said in his no homo rants. Or just the fear that one day you wake up and there has been a leak and the internet exploded and your life as you knew it is over.

Idc if they are together. I want them to be happy, in whatever way that means. I was never in the community or guys for the pairing, I was into them because those two dorks are the people I wish I had as friends in my lonely life and they give me a small solace in imagining that maybe in some universe I could have had dorky nerdy friends who would accept my quirks and sexuality and who I was. They make me laugh and smile and forget that my parents are abusive and my sister hates me. So the shipbaiting or the Ultimate Truth of the matter isn't my concern.

I do enjoy theorising and analysing and discussing and coming up with what ifs and counterarguments. I like applying other viewpoints and scenarios to the small part we see. Phan is a phenomenon regardless of the truth and Phan as we - fans - perceive it has its own sentience and history even if the truth is something else.

Anti phan isnt a bard word. It doesnt mean we dont lube them as much as phan shippers love them. We just see something else. Its kind of like those iridescent gemstones, when you turn it a diferent angle you see another colour. And we all see our own angles. Some just approach others more than some. I dont like being thought of as an anti phan with the meaning it has now. I am just into the debate and talking shit about a thing that in its core, in its truth, I have no idea about. So my word and oponions have no more weight than shippers.

Sorry for the hunge ramble.

mez29
procrastinator

fleur-de-lis wrote:Can't be a coincidence anymore. I mean I can't blame them, that flat really isn't the nicest and they can easily afford something bigger/more convenient.
eh? Have you seen those chandeliers?
Moony
sofa crease

Philena wrote:
eevee wrote:

Nah, certainly not 100% confirmation in any way, shape, or form. 100% confirmation would only be taken from the exact words written or spoken by them.

I agree. Moving in with each other would be a logically choice even if they only are friends, considering their branding is literally based on them together and they enjoy each others company.
If they were to seperate though, I wouldn't believe in phan at all or at least be somewhat convinced that they broke up.

As someone in the (I think) "If you DON'T ship Phan…why not?" thread said:
I am phagnostic but I want to believe
phanfckingtastic
living flop
Pronouns: he/him

Philena wrote:
eevee wrote:

People just absolutely KNEW with Troye and Connor, and they KNEW with Daniel and Joey (before they made it official), both couples having 1/10 of Dan and Phil's recorded suspicious behaviour/social media flirting but when it comes to Phan nobody knows until it spelled out from their own mouths because...? They say they're friends to their audience? Is that it?

This makes me genuinely very curious. Why is it that with everybody else, a couple of clues, some photos, a few coincidences, bam, case closed. With Dan and Phil, they must be celibate, asexual, unrequited love, very close friends putting their career first, cold calculating businessmen and on, and on, except... the obvious, more natural and simple conclusion?

To make this on topic, they hardly seed something publicly for nothing, so I bet they will move -together, duh- in the near future.

Oh, and hello, everyone! first time caller, etc. Keep it up, guys
Aurdie
spork

dans left hand wrote:so we finally might get to know the truth if they are moving. if dan and phil move into a house together we will know for a fact that they are definitely in a relationship. if they go their separate ways, then we know they are not in a relationship...we will finally know the truth.
Knowing those two, they'd probably buy adjoining semi-detached houses just to keep things ambiguous.
"If you have an exit strategy it's not an obsession." - Mark Cuban
SquishPhan
capita£ester

phanfckingtastic wrote:
Philena wrote:
eevee wrote:

People just absolutely KNEW with Troye and Connor, and they KNEW with Daniel and Joey (before they made it official), both couples having 1/10 of Dan and Phil's recorded suspicious behaviour/social media flirting but when it comes to Phan nobody knows until it spelled out from their own mouths because...? They say they're friends to their audience? Is that it?

This makes me genuinely very curious. Why is it that with everybody else, a couple of clues, some photos, a few coincidences, bam, case closed. With Dan and Phil, they must be celibate, asexual, unrequited love, very close friends putting their career first, cold calculating businessmen and on, and on, except... the obvious, more natural and simple conclusion?

To make this on topic, they hardly seed something publicly for nothing, so I bet they will move -together, duh- in the near future.

Oh, and hello, everyone! first time caller, etc. Keep it up, guys
Think you made some really great points.

Also :welcome:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

fleur-de-lis wrote:Can't be a coincidence anymore. I mean I can't blame them, that flat really isn't the nicest and they can easily afford something bigger/more convenient.
Their flat is pretty nice though? It's London, everything is old as balls, ridiculously expensive and the size of a shoebox. Their flat is quite spacious with a lounge, two big bedrooms and an office, it looks clean and well maintained for the most part and it's located in a decent part of the city. Dunno how much they pay for it and I'm too lazy to scour property websites to get an idea, but they could've done far worse believe me. They most likely can afford better now, even a house, but I've seen far shittier London apartments.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr