Dan & Phil Part 28: Possibly very gay

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
blueapple_x
flower crown

trashqueen wrote:
fancybum wrote:Oh actually I found it interesting that he mentioned (also last week too I think) that he was hesitant about watching Yuri on Ice because it looked like too much fanservice:

29:30ish - "this anime that may or may not be homoerotic"..."I was worried it would be a bit too fanservice-y"...

Indicating he's not really down with overt fanservice in his entertainment. And he often brings up how he wants his own work (the entertainment he puts out there for the likes of us) to be meaningful and have lots of thought put into it, blah blah blah. INTERESTING. So I wonder what he thinks of all the people out there that pathologically write off a good chunk of his interactions with Phil and statements of his own interests (cough) as purely for fanservice/relatability. Seems kind of insulting but hey what do I know...

edit:
rip me i'm never posting again so this stays like this forever:
yup, this was the highlight of the ls for me too, and i 100% agree with what you said

but at the same time it does contradict with some of the things he has done and said before, some of his interactions with phil ARE fanservice (the fanfic part of tatinof and the makeup video come to mind) and free! is like 90% fanservice (or at least that's what i got from the 5 episodes i've watched) so i was surprised to see him be so aggressively against it

so idk what to take out of it overall when i look at the whole picture, but i will definitely keep this in mind when looking at his content and opinions from now on

edit: just in case, when i say some of the things they do are fanservice, i don't mean it in a negative way necessarily, i think fanservice is fine when everyone's in on the joke (aka when it doesn't overlap with baiting)
I don't think Dan is aggressively against fanservice per say, I just think he doesn't like it when it's overly/constantly done otherwise he thinks it cheapens the content a bit? It seems like he was expecting yuri on ice to be more of a drama than a "fanservice-y comedy" as he put it so maybe that's why he had a negative reaction to the fanservice that occurred so early on in the show? Idk I have a feeling he probably doesn't mind it as much when you have to wait for it a bit.
Last edited by blueapple_x on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
daphenaxa
blobfish
Pronouns: she/her

dan has a placenta plushy!!!!!!!!
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
SquishPhan
capita£ester

daphenaxa wrote:dan has a placenta plushy!!!!!!!!
I might have to unstan for real now. SMH.
cold-tea
delia smith

OMG that's what it was :lol: :lol:
"Baby's first roomate"
now all that's missing is a baby. Or maybe it's Phil calling Dan baby through the plushy idek what I'm saying anymore
blueapple_x
flower crown

flarequake wrote:Didn't quite catch what he coughed about December in relation to Tatinof videos, I guessed possible Europe tour dates, but I have got to step up my job-hunt, would be too broke if they drop it that soon.
He was talking about "the last couple of tatinof related videos on the channel maybe, depending on anything going on in December or something".

Sounds like it could be when tatinof EU is happening? Maybe they won't release the cake video until after that is over.
mio
#relatable

I like the Yuri on ice/fanservice discussion and love that people brought it up in relation to his own behaviour and content. Makes me think about in in a different way again, after the discussion here lately about the topic has been going in circles imo.
Galactic-Howell wrote: Re: Fanservice I agree that the way do it is more of a jokey/everyone's in on it kind of way, though it could definitely be seen as queerbating to some not as invested in the community.
Well... I think in anime like yuri on ice or free it's the jokey winkey eye thing, everybody knows it's done purely for the enjoyment of the fans (see how free! even came to be) and to build up ships to get fans invested. (at least when I watch these shows to me it's obvious whom they want you to ship and they do it very deliberately). But most people also know that there won't be a canon gay couple in a sports anime anyways. Heck, there are hardly romantic sub-plots in these kind of anime at all, it's almost all in the fandom sphere.

But with Deppy there was always the very real possibility of them being together/queer plus tons of ambiguity, so if it's done intentionally i'd see that more critically .
Same as with Sherlock or Supernatural where people are super invested in their ship becoming canon and there is s lot of baiting and the possibility of it becoming canon but it probably never will
Then again Deppy are real people living their lives so I'd cut them more slack then producers of a tv show. So what is my opinion again? Idk.

The only thing I'd be positive about now: Dan thinks doesn't think his content is shipbaiting.
At least if his comment today was not just a random thought but is based in his opinion on the matter. We can make of that what we want.
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
Philena
blobfish

cold-tea wrote:
"Baby's first roomate"
now all that's missing is a baby. Or maybe it's Phil calling Dan baby through the plushy idek what I'm saying anymore
SquishPhan wrote:
I'm pretty sure that was given to them by a fan at TATINOF US, right?! I don't remember the details.

I enjoyed the ls and laughed many times, but was definitely pretentiousness at its finest. Tell me more, Dan! :roll:

One fine example re:Tumblr Tag (paraphrasing)
Phil: Yay, it celebrates all the fun stuff you create for us!
Dan: Been there, done that. Not suitable for DINOF. Pssh!
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

The only bit from the documentary that is its own section that is "funny" and a sketch is the bus tour, so prepare yourselves for busgate 3.0 as it goes out on a main channel for free to the public. GL with that.
(I really hope I'm wrong, and its danger men at work or something)

I swear to god I was ready to stop mentioning DnP now that tatinof is over and my hubby was done hearing about it and now they say they are going to be in LA giving away signed books...Well, there goes my plans of not being excited about a thing. I'm still sad that Hollywood is the only place that got billboards though.

If they do European tour in December they could still totally wrap up tatinof before 2017 - I wish you all luck on getting tickets!

My husband can't force me to watch a show I'm not interested in, and I don't even bother to put on something he doesn't like if hes in the room. Either DnP have a better relationship than we do, or some strange co-dependency issues. It's ok to watch separate tv shows in your own rooms lol.

Maybe the fanservice in yuri on ice makes him uncomfortable because its boy-boy centric rather than girl-boy centric? (technically bi since they also talk about girls)
Free! the boy/boy relationships were very serious, the only cutesy fan-service was done by the female manager over boys muscles.
Haikuu!! the only fan-service is the boys drooling over the female managers, but the boy/boy interactions are again serious.
Food-wars all the ridiculousness is so overly ridiculous its not even sexual anymore lol. After the first few episodes its just silly.

He also hasn't said word of even peters scene from AHS, just keeps re-iterating that hes holding out for it to get interesting (spoilers under the cut)
Ok, so I know NOTHING about AHS, since I dont watch it, but did some research just for this because I was curious. For the others who don't know, Even peters played a character from a flashback that had a gay lover, then died by the end of the episode. Then he played a new character in modern day, which may or may not be related to the original old dead dude. (I love sloppy summaries)
Here is a steamy scene that had to be uncomfortable for him to watch sitting next to Phil lol
SO, the question is - why doesn't he mention it? Does he think it isn't worth mentioning because he wants it normalized? Do really obviously gay things make him uncomfortable? Does he not want to fan the phandom flames? He's so much for destroying society rules and such, but seems to wimp out when it comes to actually doing it.

makes me think about his clothing choices. His No Face jumper, which is a women's item of clothing, and his other soft loose jumpers seem to be a favorite. the pull shirt will forever haunt me. Did he buy it because he likes it and secretly wants to wear it properly, or for giggles? Would he ever actually want to wear a snood or a pink mini skirt, or is he just saying those things?! i just want to know.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

The apparent reality of the boys no longer being with BBCR1 is hitting me hard tbh... Can't think of any other reason why they will only attend if they win. Too bad that really one of my fave things they did is gone now. :cry:
SquishPhan wrote: - Glad someone called him out about us (Netherlands) not being Scandinavian.
Welp, back in the shed my pitchfork goes then. Now what to do with all these tomatoes?
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I assumed the December comment was just more TATINOF stuff (like the cake scene if this week's content is the 3D video), but I would honestly be so happy if Europe finally got their tour.

"Make Phil dress as Piglet. WOW. The strange erotic AU that I DON'T want to read on tumblr later."
So, what Dan's saying is that there's a strange erotic AU he DOES want to read?

Also. What kinda BS about repeating videos? These assholes make a living off the fact that they remake shit. PINOF. Dil. ISG. Weird kid. I could go on....

That's all my commentary. I loved this liveshow and all of the opinions. Dan knows just how to keep me in the trashcan.
Last edited by rizzo on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
fancybum
senpai

Artdefines06 wrote:The only bit from the documentary that is its own section that is "funny" and a sketch is the bus tour, so prepare yourselves for busgate 3.0 as it goes out on a main channel for free to the public. GL with that.
See I thought he might be talking about the cake scene, but that's not documentary-related and he said it 2 or 3 times so it wasn't a mistake (and would the cake scene fit on Phil's channel? idk..). So hmm. If it has anything to do with the bus, I'm going to set the entire internet on fire. I'll do it. If it's more magic outtakes or something though, I'll set myself on fire from joy.
Artdefines06 wrote:
He also hasn't said word of even peters scene from AHS, just keeps re-iterating that hes holding out for it to get interesting (spoilers under the cut)
Ok, so I know NOTHING about AHS, since I dont watch it, but did some research just for this because I was curious. For the others who don't know, Even peters played a character from a flashback that had a gay lover, then died by the end of the episode. Then he played a new character in modern day, which may or may not be related to the original old dead dude. (I love sloppy summaries)
Here is a steamy scene that had to be uncomfortable for him to watch sitting next to Phil lol
SO, the question is - why doesn't he mention it? Does he think it isn't worth mentioning because he wants it normalized? Do really obviously gay things make him uncomfortable? Does he not want to fan the phandom flames? He's so much for destroying society rules and such, but seems to wimp out when it comes to actually doing it.
He kept making a face at the camera when talking about Evan Peters because he knows EXACTLY what everyone wants from him there, we want all his thoughts on seeing EP play a gay character all up in another dude's business. And at the end of the day (so far in the season anyway) there's really not much more to say than 'cool, that's hot' pretty much. Like he's already called AHS the gayest show on TV, it's not really groundbreaking for it to have a gay character, they've had many. Maybe there will be more to talk about as more happens with his specific character, but Dan not saying much (other than what we already know anyway) doesn't indicate to me he's uncomfortable with anything. I mean, he just recommended an anime last week for being pretty gay for people interested.

I took it more as jokingly not giving the people what they want for the lols rather than avoiding the topic for serious reasons. But I suppose we'll have to see if keeps avoiding it. I want to hear his opinion on the accent EP is using more than anything because while I don't fully know what the hell it even is, it sounds cool and old-timey. The accents Kathy Bates (and especially the dude playing her son) are using sound like they slip up quite a bit- I don't know how 'accurate' they are to the setting/history, but they're not internally consistent. EP though, he's killing the accent game. To my ears at least. And that's my valuable contribution lol, not worth losing my 666 posts over, but meh.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

fancybum wrote:
Artdefines06 wrote:The only bit from the documentary that is its own section that is "funny" and a sketch is the bus tour, so prepare yourselves for busgate 3.0 as it goes out on a main channel for free to the public. GL with that.
See I thought he might be talking about the cake scene, but that's not documentary-related and he said it 2 or 3 times so it wasn't a mistake (and would the cake scene fit on Phil's channel? idk..). So hmm. If it has anything to do with the bus, I'm going to set the entire internet on fire. I'll do it. If it's more magic outtakes or something though, I'll set myself on fire from joy.
Artdefines06 wrote:

He kept making a face at the camera when talking about Evan Peters because he knows EXACTLY what everyone wants from him there, we want all his thoughts on seeing EP play a gay character all up in another dude's business. And at the end of the day (so far in the season anyway) there's really not much more to say than 'cool, that's hot' pretty much. Like he's already called AHS the gayest show on TV, it's not really groundbreaking for it to have a gay character, they've had many. Maybe there will be more to talk about as more happens with his specific character, but Dan not saying much (other than what we already know anyway) doesn't indicate to me he's uncomfortable with anything. I mean, he just recommended an anime last week for being pretty gay for people interested.

I took it more as jokingly not giving the people what they want for the lols rather than avoiding the topic for serious reasons. But I suppose we'll have to see if keeps avoiding it. I want to hear his opinion on the accent EP is using more than anything because while I don't fully know what the hell it even is, it sounds cool and old-timey. The accents Kathy Bates (and especially the dude playing her son) are using sound like they slip up quite a bit- I don't know how 'accurate' they are to the setting/history, but they're not internally consistent. EP though, he's killing the accent game. To my ears at least. And that's my valuable contribution lol, not worth losing my 666 posts over, but meh.

OH, I didn't realize this wasn't the first gay character. That makes it much less dramatic then. Everyone was making such a big deal out of it in chat I assumed it was a new and exciting groundbreaking thing. (although we do still have a stupidly small percentage of lgbtq+ representation on mainstream television, which is thankfully growing.)
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

Philena wrote:
cold-tea wrote:
"Baby's first roomate"
SquishPhan wrote:
I'm pretty sure that was given to them by a fan at TATINOF US, right?! I don't remember the details
yep! here:
Awful placenta branding or not I'm always surprised at how much stuff they keep (especially around the flat) that is given to them by the fans, it's endearing but it also makes me worry they might have a hoarding problem (jk).
rizzo wrote: Also. What kinda BS about repeating videos? These assholes make a living off the fact that they remake shit. PINOF. Dil. ISG. Weird kid. I could go on....
Galactic-Howell
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Re: Dan's clothing choices - Just saying, I would pay BIG bucks to see Dan in a snood :lol:

Also, PLEASE no Busgate 3.0. I don't think IDB could take it :facepalm:
Wholesome doggo shitposting through life.
You may also call me Gal!
bear
hobbit hair

Tomorrow (or today for some people) is October 19th! I love dates and traditions, so I'm so excited for all the cuteness tomorrow.
Here are some examples of the things I noticed he reblogged: (I said I'd add them today) (Warning: it's really long)
bear wrote:Offtopic, but today I decided to scroll on Dan's tumblr archive (?? i don't usually go on tumblr) to the very beginning. Here are things I noticed.
-Dan reblogged a lot more attractive women around 2012-2014 while now he rebloggs more attractive men (2015-2016). In 2011, he reblogged both, though towards the end of the year mostly women.In my opinion, that says a lot.
August 26 2016:
May 28 2016:
July 2015: (tagged as ugh)
September 2014:
July 2014:
April 2014:
November 2013:
November 2012:
April 2012:
November 2011:
September 18, 2011 (one day after the vday video leaked): Image
-His two first posts were bears.
Jan 2010:
June 2010: (you couldn't get the picture for this one)
http://danisnotonfire.tumblr.com/post/7 ... when-im-30
-He usually has a few days to a few weeks of depressing things on his blog every few months.
November 2012:
September 17, 2013:
August 2013: (couldn't get the picture)
http://danisnotonfire.tumblr.com/post/59674540959
September 2014:
July 2016:
Mid-Late 2015
http://danisnotonfire.tumblr.com/post/1 ... this-is-me (couldn't get a pic)
http://danisnotonfire.tumblr.com/post/118630862207 (couldn't get pic)
-Some really interesting ones

This took so long. If the links will work...
anathema
morning quiff

Galactic-Howell wrote:Re: Dan's clothing choices - Just saying, I would pay BIG bucks to see Dan in a snood :lol:
To be honest I had to look up what a snood was because the first thing I though of was the thing from the lorax :gg:
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Galactic-Howell wrote:Re: Dan's clothing choices - Just saying, I would pay BIG bucks to see Dan in a snood :lol:

He wears a snood in YouTube Rewind 2014 right? He complained about the awfulness later.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Galactic-Howell
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Catallena wrote:

He wears a snood in YouTube Rewind 2014 right? He complained about the awfulness later.
Just realized that he did! It looked good on him. Now if he would only pull his pants up :lol:
Wholesome doggo shitposting through life.
You may also call me Gal!
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

rizzo wrote:I assumed the December comment was just more TATINOF stuff (like the cake scene if this week's content is the 3D video), but I would honestly be so happy if Europe finally got their tour.

"Make Phil dress as Piglet. WOW. The strange erotic AU that I DON'T want to read on tumblr later."
So, what Dan's saying is that there's a strange erotic AU he DOES want to read?

Also. What kinda BS about repeating videos? These assholes make a living off the fact that they remake shit. PINOF. Dil. ISG. Weird kid. I could go on....

That's all my commentary. I loved this liveshow and all of the opinions. Dan knows just how to keep me in the trashcan.
Didn't Diva!Dan mention not to long ago that if he was still talking about TATINOF in 2017 he was going to hit himself in the face with a brick? :D
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

Galactic-Howell wrote:
Catallena wrote:

Just realized that he did! It looked good on him. Now if he would only pull his pants up :lol:
Was he slathered in double stick tape for TATINOF? His pants stayed up!
JoeAverage
sad dimple

Completely [offtopic][/offtopic] but I was doing a paper on Chinese culture and ended up reading Deppys chinese horoscope, and while i sincerely doubt the veracity and legit-ness of these stuff its fun to dwell on them from time to time, so here I leave this:

Phil:
https://senn.cocoloni.com/chinese-zodia ... cs/rabbit/

Dan:
https://senn.cocoloni.com/chinese-zodia ... ics/sheep/

btw: It really surprised me how accurate this is

(Also the "romance" characteristics are exactly the same on these both, which made me check all the other horoscopes to see if they are alike or some are double too , but only these two are like this )
Last edited by JoeAverage on Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Lester is a genius
helvetica
sofa crease

bear wrote:Tomorrow (or today for some people) is October 19th! I love dates and traditions, so I'm so excited for all the cuteness tomorrow.
Here are some examples of the things I noticed he reblogged: (I said I'd add them today) (Warning: it's really long)
bear wrote:Offtopic, but today I decided to scroll on Dan's tumblr archive (?? i don't usually go on tumblr) to the very beginning. Here are things I noticed.
-Dan reblogged a lot more attractive women around 2012-2014 while now he rebloggs more attractive men (2015-2016). In 2011, he reblogged both, though towards the end of the year mostly women.In my opinion, that says a lot.
August 26 2016:
May 28 2016:
July 2015: (tagged as ugh)
September 2014:
July 2014:
April 2014:
November 2013:
November 2012:
April 2012:
November 2011:
September 18, 2011 (one day after the vday video leaked): Image
-His two first posts were bears.
Jan 2010:
June 2010: (you couldn't get the picture for this one)
http://danisnotonfire.tumblr.com/post/7 ... when-im-30
-He usually has a few days to a few weeks of depressing things on his blog every few months.
November 2012:
September 17, 2013:
August 2013: (couldn't get the picture)
http://danisnotonfire.tumblr.com/post/59674540959
September 2014:
July 2016:
Mid-Late 2015
http://danisnotonfire.tumblr.com/post/1 ... this-is-me (couldn't get a pic)
http://danisnotonfire.tumblr.com/post/118630862207 (couldn't get pic)
-Some really interesting ones

This took so long. If the links will work...
thanks! dans tumblr is an interesting hellish place. He only posted that one post about wanting an "anime girlfriend" right? i couldn't find anything else about him talking about relationships ps you can tell he's a butt guy
Bassoonage
drama llama

Just a random thought about the liveshow. But why does Dan feel the need to lie or change his story for things? I'm referring specifically to him talking about not having merch or money. Didn't he say before that he owned SMOSH merch? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember he also said he grew up in a middle class family.

It just kind of irked me that he said he was poor and couldn't afford merch. I feel like maybe he thought being poor and not being able to afford things is cool or makes him have more cred.
JoeAverage
sad dimple

Bassoonage wrote:Just a random thought about the liveshow. But why does Dan feel the need to lie or change his story for things? I'm referring specifically to him talking about not having merch or money. Didn't he say before that he owned SMOSH merch? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember he also said he grew up in a middle class family.

It just kind of irked me that he said he was poor and couldn't afford merch. I feel like maybe he thought being poor and not being able to afford things is cool or makes him have more cred.
I havent watched the LS (yet) so i cant judge from his tone of voice if he was serious or not, but if he was then he is a liar liar pants on fire, because he has clearly stated several times that he had smosh and charlieissocoollike merch; also maybe he meant that he didnt have merch as in he didnt own a lot, only a poster or a shirt or whatever he had, because he couldnt afford more. idk either way dan lies and shouldnt be trusted, also phil, but at least he is better at it... also the government lies, trump is a lizard.
Phil Lester is a genius
nephilimcat
woodland creature

Bassoonage wrote:Just a random thought about the liveshow. But why does Dan feel the need to lie or change his story for things? I'm referring specifically to him talking about not having merch or money. Didn't he say before that he owned SMOSH merch? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember he also said he grew up in a middle class family.

I don't think he meant poor like "We can't afford anything and can barely afford food" but more like "My parents didn't shit gold and didn't have enough money to buy me random crap but I did get presents on Christmas". Of course that's not the definition of poor, but people who aren't poor tend to say it sometimes without thinking about it. I'm guilty of that as well. Or there was a time when they didn't have much money, maybe one of his parents was unemployed and it got better later. Who knows?
He also worked when he was a teenager, so he probably spent the money he made himself on merch, but also couldn't buy everything he wanted and had to choose what kind of stuff was worth it.
I don't think he'd lie and say he was so poor to be more relatable. At least not in a ls, where people who know stuff about him listen and he's more open.
pulvis et umbra sumus