Dan & Phil Part 28: Possibly very gay

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Skeletorsrighthand
living flop

Bassoonage wrote:Just a random thought about the liveshow. But why does Dan feel the need to lie or change his story for things? I'm referring specifically to him talking about not having merch or money. Didn't he say before that he owned SMOSH merch? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember he also said he grew up in a middle class family.

It just kind of irked me that he said he was poor and couldn't afford merch. I feel like maybe he thought being poor and not being able to afford things is cool or makes him have more cred.
he did admit that he is a pathological liar
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Bassoonage
drama llama

JoeAverage wrote:
Bassoonage wrote:Just a random thought about the liveshow. But why does Dan feel the need to lie or change his story for things? I'm referring specifically to him talking about not having merch or money. Didn't he say before that he owned SMOSH merch? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember he also said he grew up in a middle class family.

It just kind of irked me that he said he was poor and couldn't afford merch. I feel like maybe he thought being poor and not being able to afford things is cool or makes him have more cred.
I havent watched the LS (yet) so i cant judge from his tone of voice if he was serious or not, but if he was then he is a liar liar pants on fire, because he has clearly stated several times that he had smosh and charlieissocoollike merch; also maybe he meant that he didnt have merch as in he didnt own a lot, only a poster or a shirt or whatever he had, because he couldnt afford more. idk either way dan lies and shouldnt be trusted, also phil, but at least he is better at it... also the government lies, trump is a lizard.

Around the 28 minute mark. He also says he never went to concerts....I'm pretty sure he went to Reading Festival and MCR shows when he was a teen. Idk. I don't know, it just rubbed me the wrong way.
JoeAverage
sad dimple

Bassoonage wrote:
JoeAverage wrote:

I havent watched the LS (yet) so i cant judge from his tone of voice if he was serious or not, but if he was then he is a liar liar pants on fire, because he has clearly stated several times that he had smosh and charlieissocoollike merch; also maybe he meant that he didnt have merch as in he didnt own a lot, only a poster or a shirt or whatever he had, because he couldnt afford more. idk either way dan lies and shouldnt be trusted, also phil, but at least he is better at it... also the government lies, trump is a lizard.

Around the 28 minute mark. He also says he never went to concerts....I'm pretty sure he went to Reading Festival and MCR shows when he was a teen. Idk. I don't know, it just rubbed me the wrong way.
Now that is a complete lie, in his video "I am Mexican" he states that he always goes to music festivals and thats why he has so many bracelets, also that he was planing on going that year with phil. Also the muse concert, bitch pls

(Here is the link, I cant seem to able to insert the youtube thing because its private so im just going to post it like this):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Yq80Af ... 5&index=26

:facepalm: danyul, if you cant lie, pls dont.
Phil Lester is a genius
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom
Pronouns: she/her

Hi, thought I would de-lurk as I find this topic super interesting/relatable (hi!!!!)
I don't know if it's fair to say Dan was lying about not having much money as a kid. I assumed he was talking about his childhood, so pre getting a job and having his own disposable income. Of course once he was a teenager/young adult he could go to concerts and buy merch, as he had a job and was probably able to pay for them with his own money. I actually really appreciated that whole spiel, up until I was about 17 my family were pretty poor due to my parents often being unemployed or working in very low paying jobs. I completely get what Dan was saying, I think he was just feeling conscious of the fact that much of his audience are very young and many of them may not be able to afford merch etc, and that can feel isolating. He was basically saying not to feel pressured to buy his stuff, maybe feeling guilty about using YT Red?

idk tldr; we have no way of knowing how wealthy Dan's family were at various stages of his life, and I don't think he'd have any need to lie about it.
wtfamidoinghere
lady door

Poverty is relative. At a few times in my life, my family was probably considered poor by definition, meaning that our income was under the local poverty line. But that doesn't mean that i ever had to go hungry or homeless or without healthcare etc. So in other places in the world that wouldn't be considered poor at all.

And as others have already said, by the time he had all that merch he talked about in the past and went to festivals, he probably had a job himself
JoeAverage
sad dimple

wtfamidoinghere wrote:Poverty is relative. At a few times in my life, my family was probably considered poor by definition, meaning that our income was under the local poverty line. But that doesn't mean that i ever had to go hungry or homeless or without healthcare etc. So in other places in the world that wouldn't be considered poor at all.

And as others have already said, by the time he had all that merch he talked about in the past and went to festivals, he probably had a job himself
hmmm, thats true, maybe he meant he didnt go to concerts as a child? (do children go to concerts?) idk, but yeah I also think and agree that if he was going to lie on purpose, a liveshow isnt the right place to do it.
Phil Lester is a genius
pearshaped34
morning quiff

I think the thing with Dan parents and money is he has (to me anyway) made enough references to them not having a lot of it that it is clearly something he really believes even if it seems to others he had a lot of luxuries growing up.

I'd assume festivals though would have been 16+ when he had a job and could pay them himself just because younger than that he probably wasn't allowed to go regardless of whether they could pay for it or not. He has however talked before about how he always asked for concert tickets for Christmas so his parents definitely did buy him them, just maybe not as often and as freely as he'd have liked.
Smosh merch was possibly also something he bought for himself as the timeline of him being on YT and discovering Smosh probably puts him at least 15/16 anywhere so very likely he would have been working around the time he was really into them.

While we are on this topic I'll take a moment to be mega cynical about Dan becoming super sensitive to what the fans can afford after the tour, where they sold a boatload of merch to the fans every night, is over. :sideeye:
Last edited by pearshaped34 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
vincentian
hobbit hair

Yesterday’s liveshow was quite laid back and Dan was in a nice mood (tipsy? ‘high on life’?), I managed to enjoy it. Excited for all content we’re getting soon (why is it Dan that’s spoiling announcing so many things, while Phil only mentioned upcoming gaming videos in his ls). And omg that onesie, did he instagram and then wear it in the show to up the views. I noticed there is a drop from 19-25k to 13k (maybe it’s seasonal though, as people went back to school/college, or just YouNow showing incorrect figures).

I may be in the minority who is not that interested in Dan the intellectual™ because I’m really skeptical as to which informed views on ~deep~ issues he has to offer on such big platform as his YT channel (though obviously he is allowed opinions and the ability to share them just like everybody else). I wish he would lose this fake pretentiousness too.

Re: Dan lying – that’s what happens when you try to seem cool and relatable at different age. :lol:
Pretty sure going to concerts and festivals all the time and not going anywhere because he is poor are both extremes, and the truth is somewhere in between.
papierklemmen
flower crown

1) i, for one, would be happy if they never do another tumblr tag again, or isg, or weird kid for that matter. it's time for new, fresh ideas, maybe new series if dan is lazy to do standalone videos - it's supposed to be POST-tatinof era, after all, they celebrated and roasted 7 years of this kind of content in their show, so they need to move on.

also honestly, i don't particularly like watching dan react to things, what with his forced loud reactions, we really could do without another "THIS IS THE WEIRDEST/FUNNIEST/CREEPIEST/MOST AMAZING THING I'VE SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!". their tumblr tag vids don't really have a theme or a purpose, there are many ways of engaging with your audience and their art while spicing it up a lil bit, just look at pewdiepie, he makes a LOT of fan stuff themed videos but they are always with a twist: contests, editing his green screen video, listening to fans messages, drawing with fans live, my personal fave was him taking a shot whenever dan&phil or septiplier appeared on his tumblr tag i'd pay good money to see d&p drink on camera together.
(i am also curious why people who genuinely think deppy are together would want to see them squirm while looking at a picture of them kissing again. isn't it, kind of, frustrating? )

2) i didn't take his fanservice comment as anything significant or related to their own phanservice. people in glass houses, after all :mrgreen: nah, i just think he tiptoed around the homoeroticism point and that he would rather see the iceskating drama than boys all over each other. it barely has anything to do with them playing up the ship for views since...they...have no drama anyway.

can someone who's familiar with younow tell me if he just ignores most premium messages and reads boring ones or if there are actually so few of them? cause i'd be willing to pay if it means he will answer something he didn't answer last week.

EDIT: dan lies, news at 11 seriously, why are we surprised again?
ravenreyes
sofa crease

i was watching the ls, paused it and when i started watching again the first thing i heard was ''consent in cannibalism''. okay dan. :lol:

i'm so fucking excited for spooky week, it's always my favorite thing. seems like there's going to be sister location and the outlast 2 demo at least? idk if i missed him mentioning any other game. also looking forward to them finishing undertale bc i love the game so.

about the concert/merch/money thing: idk, he could have been lying or he could be talking about different points in his life. i don't think there's really enough information to say anything 100%.

also, isn't today the ~anniversary of them meeting for the first time today? i didn't know who they were at the time, but looking back on it it was a great birthday present lmao.
english is not my first language
felucca
truth bomb

Part #7 in Phan and Geography™: Scandinavia according to Dan. :ugeek:

Scandinavia =
Sweden, Norway, and...Finland?

http://satwcomic.com/

Poor Denmark.

Dan watching Phil's crappy tv shows is so endearing to me because I work just the same way. I'll watch anything the person I'm with puts on just to be with them, and I'll force them to watch my shows too because how else could they ever hope to understand me? Current projects include bullying a friend who's watched Buffy into also watching Firefly, and spoon-feeding Buffy to my new bf who's only watched Firefly. When I'm done, we'll have so much in common. :twisted:

Thanks IckleMissMayhem and melon lord for explaining tonberries, I had no idea, they're a cute "phan thing" to me.
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
peekatyou
drama llama

I wanted to share some of my thoughts on 'Dan's lying': I feel like when Dan uses such words as 'never,' 'always,' most of the time it should be taken with a grain of salt, to be honest.. So to me it's not like he's necessarily lying (I'm talking specifically about instances when he goes 'I never/ever/always' etc. and we know those things are not really true), he just kinda exaggerates everything to make a certain impression, apparently.

Of course you have all the right to feel like he's lying when he says some things, it's fair. He doesn't really bother to make it clear when he's just being extreme/not particularly accurate with the choice of words, so when people feel like they're being lied to it's completely understandable. (I'm talking about Dan saying 'When I was a teenager, my family didn't have any money, I had no merchandise, I never went to concerts' in his ls, should've said that earlier, sorry.)

But you know, it's like with this 'I never go outside' thing - of course he does go outside every now and again. The question is why he says he _never_ does. Wouldn't it be better to say 'rarely'? But then it wouldn't sound that impressive. I feel like for Dan the emotion behind a statement is a bit more important than the actual accuracy of it.

About him being pretentious: yeah, he is pretentious, that's like a really big part of him, and I don't really see it going away anytime soon. In fact, I think it's going to keep progressing, which will either be obnoxious or interesting/entertaining. I don't know, right now I'm enjoying his pretentious self, but of course there's always a line that better not be crossed.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

I think those expecting big changes from Dan and Phil post TATINOF are going to wind up disappointed. While I do think they might make some changes, I don’t think there are going to be any big ones. They have been slowly rebranding for a while now, and there might be a few more minor ones coming, but I doubt anything big will happen. I could be wrong though.

Also happy 7 years phanniversary people. :D
mio
#relatable

On the topic of Dan and pretentiousness - to me being pretentious is telling other people your views are the only ones that count/if you dont agree on this/like/know this thing you are stupid or uncultured. And tbh he does is with his music or show recs sometimes, but it mostly just makes me roll my eyes.
Him talking about philosophical questions doesnt come across as pretentious imo, because he is just reflecting on things that seem to genuinely interest him and he wants to talk about. And these rants always remind me that he's actually a intelligent guy my age talking to a much younger audience. And it kind of makes me relate to him more because I like thinking about these things too? I dont know. What was I saying?
I like his "deep" thoughts and wish he'd incorporate them more into his future content (re-brand??!) Instead of just letting them go to waste in spontaneous bursts in liveshows.
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
papierklemmen
flower crown

SquishPhan wrote:I think those expecting big changes from Dan and Phil post TATINOF are going to wind up disappointed. While I do think they might make some changes, I don’t think there are going to be any big ones. They have been slowly rebranding for a while now, and there might be a few more minor ones coming, but I doubt anything big will happen. I could be wrong though.

I don't think anyone is legit expecting a lot of changes, but is it wrong to hope for them? especially if we're talking about stale series like tumblr tag or isg which even Dan is not excited to be doing anymore. It's strange to even think they used to do a lot of creative and diverse stuff in the past, especially Phil... :gg:

and yes, friendaversary! although it's funny that phandom "celebrates" this particular day. it's just the first time they met for the first time, they became friends long before that.
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

On the topic of pretentiousness...
I didn't used to find it offputting but more recently I definitely do. I just don't like it when he acts like he's 'above' his audience. Like, I thought his discussion of concepts was interesting, fine. But then at the end of the ls where he says 'write an essay about concepts' I'm like :? . Like, I always find myself enjoying Dan live shows until about half way through. Idk what this pattern means.

Also, we haven't talked about this, but Dan's reaction to being asked about non-binary pronouns. Basically he was saying he respects that people don't fit into gender categories- but I don't like how he described it. 'You could call yourself a banana'. I just find that rather rude. Idk guys, I'm feeling impatient with Dan today.
(Tldr: I sometimes get the feeling that Dan isn't quite as liberal (socially) as people make him out to be.)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

SquishPhan wrote:I think those expecting big changes from Dan and Phil post TATINOF are going to wind up disappointed. While I do think they might make some changes, I don’t think there are going to be any big ones. They have been slowly rebranding for a while now, and there might be a few more minor ones coming, but I doubt anything big will happen. I could be wrong though.

Agree about no big changes; Dan said light aesthetic changes, but people seem to be applying that to whatever specific things about Dan and Phil they really want to see changed. Like the shitstorm, it'll seem like a big deal to Dan and Phil because they get a massive wall of deafening feedback when they so much as pose a different way in a fan photo, much less change a header or a profile pic - but probably not that big a deal to us individually.

And oh man, seven years. I definitely will enjoy and celebrate it, because I know what I think happened seven years ago today and it makes me all tingly inside and also just generally very happy for them that the first day/date went well enough that we're all here so many years later.
starlight-still
truth bomb

Dan's ls, it was cool, a bit after school cartoon hour in its pacing but he was all-in for the kids

Speaking of which, I thought when he was talking about not having money to do things as a teenager he was talking to the 9-13/14ish set- old enough to be interested but maybe still having to ask their parents' permission and/or having limited means, access to online purchasing, etc. I thought it was sweet of him to acknowledge that he appreciates the support whether you're a 8 year old who can only watch 30 minutes per day of the internet and choose to spend it on his videos or a 28 year old who can travel across the state to catch TATINOF. I don't think it crossed his mind that he may have come off as trying to act like he didn't have access to means that he did as a middle class teen but, unfortunately, the implication was there.

The onesie. I mean. I may have to look into this onesie lifestyle, I'll be homebound for a couple of weeks next month and it may be just the tonic :lol:

Political/pretentious!Dan. Maybe because I'm a bit older I don't see him being pretentious as much as thinking out loud a lot and maybe wanting to be the cool, older, smart guy who gets you to think to his younger audience. His intentions always seem pure to me (OK, that banana thing was kind of like the gender equivalent of when people say stuff like "I don't care if you're purple" regarding race, so I get how that comes off as a bit dismissive and trivializing but everything else). I remember being more annoyed about people talking the way he talks when I was younger but now I just see them as expressive and invested. I'm always here for going deep and passionate :thumb:

So much to look forward to. That 3D trailer thing is right up my alley so I can't wait to see what they did with that. Dillymoon. Spooky week (my first live one, yesss). And then, boom, they hit us with the DAPGO and the Q&As and so much more. What a time to be alive :mrgreen:

And Happy Phan-iversary!

P.S.- I'm Phil for lyfe but lately I've been growing quite fond of little spaniel
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

starlight-still wrote:Speaking of which, I thought when he was talking about not having money to do things as a teenager he was talking to the 9-13/14ish set- old enough to be interested but maybe still having to ask their parents' permission and/or having limited means, access to online purchasing, etc.
This is exactly what I think he meant. People seem to be jumping to the point of "he lied because in his mid/late teens he did a lot of things" but there are many years before that where he might have wanted to and couldn't.
starlight-still wrote:Political/pretentious!Dan. Maybe because I'm a bit older I don't see him being pretentious as much as thinking out loud a lot and maybe wanting to be the cool, older, smart guy who gets you to think to his younger audience. His intentions always seem pure to me (OK, that banana thing was kind of like the gender equivalent of when people say stuff like "I don't care if you're purple" regarding race, so I get how that comes off as a bit dismissive and trivializing but everything else). I remember being more annoyed about people talking the way he talks when I was younger but now I just see them as expressive and invested. I'm always here for going deep and passionate :thumb:
I don't see his politics talk as pretentious either. The thing that generally annoys me most is when he starts to talk about something and then stops because he doesn't think his audience is interested in it, so seeing him continue to talk about something even though he gets obvious backlash or disinterest for it kind of makes me happy. It is a nice reminder of his self-awareness that he seems to predict correctly how his audience will react to him deviating from the kanye-music recs-anime-AHS script, though.

Now if he'd do that about movies/tv shows he enjoys but doesn't think his audience would be into, that'd be a nice little bonus.
tymyky
glabella

spaceguitar wrote:On the topic of pretentiousness...
I didn't used to find it offputting but more recently I definitely do. I just don't like it when he acts like he's 'above' his audience. Like, I thought his discussion of concepts was interesting, fine. But then at the end of the ls where he says 'write an essay about concepts' I'm like :? . Like, I always find myself enjoying Dan live shows until about half way through. Idk what this pattern means.
This is the first time someone mentioned it and I agree. I can get past his music/tv shows pretentiousness but why the hell is he telling me to write some essay? To be more educated on that issue? Because he thinks I'm not? Boy wouldn't have liked the look on my face the moment after he said it.
corn flakes
moon room

I love when Dan talks about tv shows/musics/opinions, he can be quite preachy and pretentious but tbh it doesn't bother me, if I was talking to me I would like to discuss with him. It may be that I'm someone with strong opinions that likes to argue and loves to hear someone with a solid argument. I would love if he gave his opinions on more things, if we wants to spice up things he could invite someone and talk about a topic...dan and his waffles is what I live for.
At the end I think Dan also doesn't mean to say he is above anyone, his homework bit wasn't to be taken seriously.

Regarding poor dan, I think he is the usual middle/ middle-lower family, from my experience they all say that they are poor while the can afford to go on holiday,send the kids to cool events or make them learn piano/tennis...it's tipical. That togheter with how his family used to go to cool places may mean his family had some priorities and they didn't include all those cool toys for dan. Probably the truth lies in the middle.
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
papierklemmen
flower crown

i just think he generally assumes he's smarter than his audience, especially considering the majority are teens. :sideeye: It really bugs me, but there's nothing we can do about it.
Trigger Warning :
sexism? lol
i also don't want to assume anything about dan, but unfortunately i deal with it a lot in real life - guys assuming they're smarter than me/being pretentious around me just because i'm a woman, no matter the topic - be it science, politics, economics, languages or fucking MOVIES and COMPUTER GAMES. he knows most of his fans are female, so...
i have really good guy friends, but even the most woke ones do it subconsciously a lot - they just assume i don't know shit and are very patronizing. some are worse though - before we became good friends one of the guys actually QUIZZED me on my knowledge of star trek to check if i'm a "real" fan or just one of "those girls" who pretend to be nerds to be liked by guys. :? i just... eh. and when i taught japanese two years ago i only had one boy student and he constantly questioned my knowledge - which isn't bad per se, never trust anyone! :lol: - but he did it all the time when he would be like "no, you can't possibly know these military terms better than me!!!!!!!!". :facepalm:

But lbr he's probably just as pretentious with guys :lol:
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

papierklemmen wrote:i just think he generally assumes he's smarter than his audience, especially considering the majority are teens. :sideeye: It really bugs me, but there's nothing we can do about it.
Trigger Warning :
sexism? lol
i also don't want to assume anything about dan, but unfortunately i deal with it a lot in real life - guys assuming they're smarter than me/being pretentious around me just because i'm a woman, no matter the topic - be it science, politics, economics, languages or fucking MOVIES and COMPUTER GAMES. he knows most of his fans are female, so...
i have really good guy friends, but even the most woke ones do it subconsciously a lot - they just assume i don't know shit and are very patronizing. some are worse though - before we became good friends one of the guys actually QUIZZED me on my knowledge of star trek to check if i'm a "real" fan or just one of "those girls" who pretend to be nerds to be liked by guys. :? i just... eh. and when i taught japanese two years ago i only had one boy student and he constantly questioned my knowledge - which isn't bad per se, never trust anyone! :lol: - but he did it all the time when he would be like "no, you can't possibly know these military terms better than me!!!!!!!!". :facepalm:

But lbr he's probably just as pretentious with guys :lol:
He is condescending towards Phil---
Philena
blobfish

papierklemmen wrote:i just think he generally assumes he's smarter than his audience, especially considering the majority are teens. :sideeye: It really bugs me, but there's nothing we can do about it.
Trigger Warning :
sexism? lol

i'm probably reaching, so i hope it's not the case and he's just as pretentious around guys :lol:
Yup, I think that's why it rubbed me the wrong way last night. More my own issues with sexism/mansplaining than anything he actually did wrong. I think it just hit me harder last night because I've been such trash for both of them for the past month or so. And it certainly had nothing to do with political discussion, which I am all for. Just a general vibe. spaceguitar felt it too, right?

Though, I must say, he is wrong on gif.
papierklemmen
flower crown

Philena wrote:
Trigger Warning :
sexism? lol

i'm probably reaching, so i hope it's not the case and he's just as pretentious around guys :lol:
Yup, I think that's why it rubbed me the wrong way last night. More my own issues with sexism/mansplaining than anything he actually did wrong. I think it just hit me harder last night because I've been such trash for both of them for the past month or so. And it certainly had nothing to do with political discussion, which I am all for. Just a general vibe. spaceguitar felt it too, right?

Though, I must say, he is wrong on gif.
lol i actually agree with him about the gif 8-) sue me!

yeah, i think it probably bugs some of us more than the others because of our experiences with mansplaining. i know some girls are not bothered by it or miraculously never encountered it. so... projecting much. :lol:

and ia he can be condescending with phil - but it's on camera interaction and who the hell knows, maybe daddy phil sasses him to hell and back in real life.