Dan & Phil Part 28: Possibly very gay

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
nephilimcat
woodland creature
Pronouns: she/her

must be younow, it's working well on tumblr for me
pulvis et umbra sumus
fancybum
senpai

Not hosting the Teen Awards then. Harumph.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
mio
#relatable

That "write an essay about concepts.." at the end :lol: I wanna read that from you Dan!
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
MultipleKitty
tol bean
Pronouns: they/them #didissues

fancybum wrote:Not hosting the Teen Awards then. Harumph.
Unless they are, and Dan's just REALLY forgetful or relying on Phil to remind him. :facepalm:
Hannah Elizabeth. Holly Annabelle.
Daisy-Emily Rose. April-Mae.
Ally Alice. Holly Leafiee.
Holly Kitty. Damon James.
Laurisa/Rissa. Alex.
Hana. Serra.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Thought it was an okay live show.
Some thoughts:
- I’m so happy that he is wearing the onesie.
- Glad someone called him out about us (Netherlands) not being Scandinavian.
- I’m excited about spooky week. :D
- Dan having a rant about the word ‘cringe’ and how it is overused.
- AHS talk. Well that was disappointing.
- Seems like Dan and Phil are going to LA for DAPGO, some kind of Q&A thing. Will also happen in London. It will be filmed and put on DINOF.
- Same Dan. Definitely not Trump.
- What was suddenly up with his merch/money talk? Good on him for promoting the stuff for SUTC though.
- I love how Phil makes Dan watch all these shows with him. First the X factor and now the Apprentice.
- Dan not wanting to do another Tumblr tag again, because he doesn’t like doing lots of vids with the same format. Really Dan? ISG, enough said. Or maybe this means that he won’t do another one of those either. We shall see. :sideeye:
- If Dan had time, he would do night lessons online on sociology.
- Seems like he doesn’t know if he is going to the teen awards. He kind of made it sound like they would only be going if they had won something. So I guess that means they are not presenting it this year. Shame. :cry:
antigone
butt chair

lol he said if he went back to uni he would do a degree very similar to mine (PPE = Philosophy, Politics and Economics) ayyyy. Didn't know he was into econ though??
nephilimcat
woodland creature

antigone wrote:lol he said if he went back to uni he would do a degree very similar to mine (PPE = Philosophy, Politics and Economics) ayyyy. Didn't know he was into econ though??
I think it fits. He must know a lot about it, just look how he and Phil handle their business. Of course they have a manager, but I think they're quite good at it and maybe just have a manager because it saves time and not because they have no idea what they're doing. So I guess there's an interest there.
pulvis et umbra sumus
antigone
butt chair

nephilimcat wrote:
antigone wrote:lol he said if he went back to uni he would do a degree very similar to mine (PPE = Philosophy, Politics and Economics) ayyyy. Didn't know he was into econ though??
I think it fits. He must know a lot about it, just look how he and Phil handle their business. Of course they have a manager, but I think they're quite good at it and maybe just have a manager because it saves time and not because they have no idea what they're doing. So I guess there's an interest there.
Studying econ academically is very different to practical applications of it though (and that sort of stuff is more to do with accounting)... plus it involves a hell of a lot of maths, which he's openly said he hates lol (tbf that could be playing up to branding idk)

But PPE does make sense, most Law students hate Law and wish they chose something like PPE/History/International Relations. Not going to uni hasn't exactly done him any harm though

PPE is the degree that stereotypically most UK politicians do though, it's weird to hear a youtuber say they have an interest in it. Most youtubers with degrees did Media or English Language
nebuleuse
phillion/danosaur <//3

nephilimcat wrote:
Yeah I'm doing something similar as well, but econ actually has hardly anything to do with business past first year in my experience. It's like 80% maths and really tedious...hahaha kill me.
I can definitely see him enjoying politics though. I'm doing a political philosophy course atm which actually relates a lot to what defines morals, its all very existential-ish.
antigone
butt chair

nebuleuse wrote:
nephilimcat wrote:
Yeah I'm doing something similar as well, but econ actually has hardly anything to do with business past first year in my experience. It's like 80% maths and really tedious...hahaha kill me.
I can definitely see him enjoying politics though. I'm doing a political philosophy course atm which actually relates a lot to what defines morals, its all very existential-ish.
-OT-
omg what course/uni? I'm at LSE so whenever people mention Econ I instinctively roll my eyes :lol:

He would love political theory. I had a lecture on Aristotle's view on the meaning of life the other day and it fits Dan's branding to a t

I'm surprised there aren't more discussions about his comments on gender pronouns? I find the topic very dull myself but idk it's nice to hear him talk about sociopolitical things
nebuleuse
phillion/danosaur <//3

antigone wrote:
nebuleuse wrote:
nephilimcat wrote:
-OT-
omg what course/uni? I'm at LSE so whenever people mention Econ I instinctively roll my eyes :lol:

He would love political theory. I had a lecture on Aristotle's view on the meaning of life the other day and it fits Dan's branding to a t

I'm surprised there aren't more discussions about his comments on gender pronouns? I find the topic very dull myself but idk it's nice to hear him talk about sociopolitical things
[offtopic]I'm in Glasgow doing joint honours in politics and economics, but seriously considering dropping econ at this moment in time like oh god its awful :shock:[/offtopic]

Idk if it counts as a slip up, but I noticed when Dan was talking about playing rolling sky in bed in the morning he said something about playing it and not wanting to be spoken to....
Its at about 22:20 in the livestream on his tumblr
fancybum
senpai

Oh actually I found it interesting that he mentioned (also last week too I think) that he was hesitant about watching Yuri on Ice because it looked like too much fanservice:

29:30ish - "this anime that may or may not be homoerotic"..."I was worried it would be a bit too fanservice-y"...

Indicating he's not really down with overt fanservice in his entertainment. And he often brings up how he wants his own work (the entertainment he puts out there for the likes of us) to be meaningful and have lots of thought put into it, blah blah blah. INTERESTING. So I wonder what he thinks of all the people out there that pathologically write off a good chunk of his interactions with Phil and statements of his own interests (cough) as purely for fanservice/relatability. Seems kind of insulting but hey what do I know...

edit:
rip me i'm never posting again so this stays like this forever:
Last edited by fancybum on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
JoeAverage
sad dimple

Philena wrote:I need Shitty Watercolour to provide me with the lovely image of a Pooh Bear-ed Dan straddling a shirtless Phil whilst connecting his freckles with a Sharpie.
This is something that needs to happen no matter what.

-I couldnt watch the ls today but from what i have read they are planning on going to LA? did he happen to say the actual date??

-Also as a kinda catholic person (i believe in the religion just not the church itself) i can tell you i found all dans tumblr post hilarious, its just jokes, they are not doing any harm but that my PO. Ahh and I wouldnt use the uija board, if them or anyone wants to do it be my guest i dont care but i personally dont mess with ju ju that i dont understan just for shits and giggles, maybe its real maybe its not idc im not riskig it.

-I wish we could get a video of phil just showing his freakles off, i know we wont but damn, a girl can dream.
Phil Lester is a genius
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

That was a fun liveshow, it flew by, probably because by the end my horrible tension headache and nausea had finally calmed down. Boy is that onesie cute, the head looks too cute for comfort tbh, but still, he is a cute bean.

I think he saw me say "Not Holland!" In the chat re Scandinavia, that gave me a giggle (I couldn't be frigged typing out all four countries that it is). I like hearing his opinion on The Apprentice. That's what I (love to) hate about it and why I haven't watched this season, though I've ended up loving it every year before now, once the really daft ones are cut and they get into it, I've grown to like the remaining lot and root for a few of them, but I can't face it right now.

Good news for we lucky few in LA and London for a Q&A for DAPGO. I'm hoping they've booked somewhere big enough to seat a thousand or more people like the big cinema in London where they do the premieres. John Green's Paper Towns event that they hosted was there and had room to spare, though even with a ton of staff they left us standing like plebs outside queueing around the square right until they should have had everyone seated, seemingly so the celebs could take photos in front of a backdrop :sideeye: Still, it was very good.

Didn't quite catch what he coughed about December in relation to Tatinof videos, I guessed possible Europe tour dates, but I have got to step up my job-hunt, would be too broke if they drop it that soon.

Interesting that he'd study PPE, I would've thought that'd be too heavy for his interests, Sociology made more sense, but I suppose they're connected and he'd probably want to study a broad lot of stuff. Reminds me my dad started studying Sociology with the Open University decades ago now, we still had a few books.

I was tempted to chime in about language changing with how it's used, remnants of studying linguistics years ago still hanging on in my brain, but I couldn't be bothered in the end, let him rant. He had a point, it is annoying when words get overused and lose their effect, but it happens.

Good point about fan service fancybum. I'd like him to see and answer us about that sometime (I asked in the chat, but he either missed or ignored it, it probably wasn't relevant or safe enough).

Re ouija boards, I'm not really religious (Jewish but not overly observant), but I believe somewhat in ghosts. I don't think ouija boards work, but I wouldn't want to chance it, I find them daft and hope there's nothing in them, and prefer to leave the dead in peace. I was glad Phil didn't want to mess with one, and it was cute that he didn't want to upset his mum.

That photo of Phil's freckles is amazing. Their usual lighting is so strong we barely see any so if that's what his skin really looks like in places :shock: maybe they're not really so dark and that was the lighting in the photo enhancing them.
Last edited by flarequake on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

pilotlight wrote:He murdered his childhood hero and is wearing the pelt as a trophy. :shock: Dan, how could you??
SquishPhan
capita£ester

fancybum wrote:Oh actually I found it interesting that he mentioned (also last week too I think) that he was hesitant about watching Yuri on Ice because it looked like too much fanservice:

29:30ish - "this anime that may or may not be homoerotic"..."I was worried it would be a bit too fanservice-y"...

Indicating he's not really down with overt fanservice in his entertainment. And he often brings up how he wants his own work (the entertainment he puts out there for the likes of us) to be meaningful and have lots of thought put into it, blah blah blah. INTERESTING. So I wonder what he thinks of all the people out there that pathologically write off a good chunk of his interactions with Phil and statements of his own interests (cough) as purely for fanservice/relatability. Seems kind of insulting but hey what do I know...
Yeah I found that very interesting as well and agree with you.

As far as ouija boards go, I once tried my hand at it and can report that nothing happened.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

I wonder if Dan realised while saying how he has never had a job where you earn tips that he was actually currently doing his job that earns him tips. :P

I'm looking forward to getting some new channel content from them and it sounds like we have a lot coming our way very soon with spooky week, a DIL video and the last of the TATINOF stuff all just around the corner.
Although when he was talking about the thing that Phil is uploading around TATINOF did anyone else think he made it sound like it might be something actually already in the documentary for people who didn't buy it rather than new footage?
If so that sucks they must have so much unseen footage they could show us (and that I desperately want to see).
And I found it funny that at one point he actually referred to the Doc as Phil's documentary... I get it's on AP but were you not involved Daniel?

And even though I've been the roommate who has just ended up watching shows I don't like because my roommates put them on TV it still turns me into when Dan talks like he has no choice but to watch all the shows Phil enjoys that he does not.
trashqueen
ar·tic·u·late

fancybum wrote:Oh actually I found it interesting that he mentioned (also last week too I think) that he was hesitant about watching Yuri on Ice because it looked like too much fanservice:

edit:
rip me i'm never posting again so this stays like this forever:
yup, this was the highlight of the ls for me too, and i 100% agree with what you said

but at the same time it does contradict with some of the things he has done and said before, some of his interactions with phil ARE fanservice (the fanfic part of tatinof and the makeup video come to mind) and free! is like 90% fanservice (or at least that's what i got from the 5 episodes i've watched) so i was surprised to see him be so aggressively against it

so idk what to take out of it overall when i look at the whole picture, but i will definitely keep this in mind when looking at his content and opinions from now on

edit: just in case, when i say some of the things they do are fanservice, i don't mean it in a negative way necessarily, i think fanservice is fine when everyone's in on the joke (aka when it doesn't overlap with baiting)
Last edited by trashqueen on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Howell wrote:'[someone] just sent me a message saying 'Phil'..... same'
mio
#relatable

JoeAverage wrote:
Philena wrote:I need Shitty Watercolour to provide me with the lovely image of a Pooh Bear-ed Dan straddling a shirtless Phil whilst connecting his freckles with a Sharpie.
This is something that needs to happen no matter what.
Can I claim this prompt? :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-)

Also him talking about politics (the apprentice) and philosophical concepts makes me wish he'd make DINOF videos about stuff like this in the future. I think the way he goes from throwaway comments about everyday life to existential discussions is pretty clever. (the psycho thoughts video was one of the things that got me hooked on him in the first place). I know existential crisis is branding, but I feel like he has a lot to say on a lot of matters, as apparent in the liveshows lately and it would make for some great videos!
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
blueapple_x
flower crown

pearshaped34 wrote: Although when he was talking about the thing that Phil is uploading around TATINOF did anyone else think he made it sound like it might be something actually already in the documentary for people who didn't buy it rather than new footage?
If so that sucks they must have so much unseen footage they could show us (and that I desperately want to see).
Yeah it did seem like that. I also got that impression from when he talked about it last week.
mez29
procrastinator

antigone wrote:PPE is the degree that stereotypically most UK politicians do though, it's weird to hear a youtuber say they have an interest in it. Most youtubers with degrees did Media or English Language
Yeah, at my previous two unis PPE was very much seen as what all the posh right-wing people who wanted to go into politics did. I couldn't see Dan fitting into that crowd at all, but on the other hand it's important to get people studying from different perspectives, so
flarequake wrote:I was tempted to chime in about language changing with how it's used, remnants of studying linguistics years ago still hanging on in my brain, but I couldn't be bothered in the end, let him rant. He had a point, it is annoying when words get overused and lose their effect, but it happens.
same. Let the language change, Dan.
Galactic-Howell
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Love the photo of Dan in the onesie. Comical how he's an actual giant and it looks like he's trying to squeeze into a child's onesie

Re: Fanservice I agree that the way do it is more of a jokey/everyone's in on it kind of way, though it could definitely be seen as queerbating to some not as invested in the community.

Re: DAPGO Ugh, when will they come to parts of Canada that aren't Toronto? I get why they picked London and LA but still
Wholesome doggo shitposting through life.
You may also call me Gal!
majitzu
angel bean

Yeah, he make it sound that the video in Phil's channel is not really new content... I hope we are wrong, or at least extended content of what we have previosuly seen.

About religion, I'm catholic and I didn't feel offended by his post, but I'm not a good example of what a catholic person is so

About ouija, whether I don't believe in ghost or demons I respect them ¿? I mean hey maybe they really exist and I don't want to mess with them, so I will run away of a ouija board. My dad play it when he was in college, I don't remember what he said it happened but it was bad.
cold-tea
delia smith

Galactic-Howell wrote: Re: DAPGO Ugh, when will they come to parts of Canada that aren't Toronto? I get why they picked London and LA but still
Same there's the rest of Canada too I've given up hope on them ever coming back here tho
Last edited by cold-tea on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
isabella
butt chair

Was I the only one who thought the thing he was talking about going on phil's channel is going to be the cake scene? That's where my mind went first, but I may have not heard whatever he said that made you guys think it wasn't gonna be new stuff. My stream was kinda laggy.