BONCAs Awards

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

http://www.boncasawards.com/nominees/

Here's the link for the nominees.

http://www.boncasawards.com/public-awards/

Here's the link on the nominees the public are voting for.

This makes me cringe:
1. They are separating Deppy for the most part.
2. Dan is up for ISG, Phil is up for DITL Australia. Not together, mind you.
3. Dan gets a mention in TomSka's Reject (feat. Danisnotonfire) video, which is up for Comedy of the Year
4. Only Dan is up for the Best Tech of the Year award for The Dan and Phil 3D Audio Experience (Audiobook Trailer)
5. Both Dan and Phil are up for the Best Film of the Year category, with TWO nominations, one for Dan & Phil’s story of TATINOF and for The Amazing Tour is Not On Fire.

For the Public Awards:
1. Dan and Phil are separately nominated for Creator of the Year. You can't pick both, it's one or the other.
2. For Collaboration of the Year: PINOF 7 is up for both of them. Dan's up for a video with Louise and Phil is up with a video with Hazel.

Maybe I am wrong, but this sits badly with me. Someone mentioned in the main thread that the Dan-heavy nominations could be for getting more interest in the awards? It is the BONCAs first year. I'm uber-cynical on my best days so I wouldn't be surprised by that.

And...with Dan being hell-bent being recognized as Phil Trash #1 AND making sure the world knows that Phil Lester is underrated, how would his reaction be if he came out on top of all these awards if it is, in fact, a popularity contest?

I just don't agree with it all. ISG up against Oscar's Hotel??? How do they even fit into the same category???
human
dan hand trash

I think it's cool for them to have some individual recognition lol. And they were always going to be up for a lot, you literally can't nominate people like Alfie for any of those categories as it's just not quality content.

So I'm quite excited to see what happens; definitely hoping Dan takes the tech one, that audio experience video was great. Will be hoping Phil takes creator because Dan just isn't regular enough to deserve it imo. And DITL needs to win too! Collab is the one I'm sure they HAVE to win, there's nobody better together on YT, imo. Damn my phan trash is showing.

There may also be Darla representation there, btw.

kuensukki
janice from the shop

I feel like individual recognition is nice but they have literally done everything together so these nominations make no fucking sense tbh. If PJ doesn't win for Oscars Hotel I might scream. Also I think Deppy will come up together if they win any of those awards. I think they were nominated based on whose channel the video was on and since a majority of the #spon was on Dan's he got more nominations. Anyway all the tropies will end up with their other Play buttons, Sony headphones, and teen choice award pile that's for them collectively. Im just salty the award won't have both their names on it since they are both technically the creators of both the trailer and the docs- what were the awards people thinking.

Im honestly sad because this award was a chance to get those creators that arent overtly famous into the spotlight with appropriate recognition but again it became a popularity prom contest :roll:
pearshaped34
morning quiff

human wrote:Collab is the one I'm sure they HAVE to win, there's nobody better together on YT, imo. Damn my phan trash is showing.
Unlike the best series category where they are some genuine award worthy efforts up for nomination the competition in the collab catergory seems to be a selection of average/filler videos with any two popular youtubers in.
It really is just a vote on who makes mediocre entertainment better just by being together which for me is D&P hands down so I'm rooting for them for that one.
nephilimcat
woodland creature
Pronouns: she/her

I thought the BONCAS were kind of professional, but nominating ISG with a lot of high production series is just not fair. I haven't seen any of those, but I'm pretty sure they deserve it more than ISG. Dan probably doesn't want to win that one. I'm already feeling uneasy thinking about this event, it probably ends up being a giant cringe fest...

Re: separate nominations
Yes, it's only on one channel, but it's something they did together, so I don't think it's okay to only nominate one of them. And it's not like it's just a video where one of them appears for a short time, the audiobook trailer is literally a trailer made by them for a book they made together that features both of them. What were they thinking!? If Dan wins that one, I hope they just go on stage together or Dan shows how much Philtrash he is when he accepts that award. I would be fine with them being nominated on their own for things they actually did alone, but this way it just feels wrong.

I hope Phil wins creator of the year. I usually don't like choosing between them, but recently I'm a little Philgirl and I really want him to win. I like to think that Dan would want that as well.
pulvis et umbra sumus
l8er_sk8er
delia smith

I really don't know what to think about this award. :? I become suspicious then Dan&Phil twitted about seemingly an unknown award on the same day they were announced nominated.
Boncas award site is owned by Endemol UK, which to me means that this award was founded by Endemol Shine Group. On the FlipSide site it says that FlipSide Talent is a part of the Endemol Shine Group. So it's like an award founded by the big corporation they work for.(Endemol UK and the FlipSide have the same adress)
Looking for the award day to see what they will get cause it might be the indication which path they have choosen to be next move of their careers. Or might not and Dan&Phil in every possible nomination is just for the hype and 45 pounds standart ticket sales.
I hope PJ and the crew will get an award not Dan.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

l8er_sk8er wrote:Boncas award site is owned by Endemol UK, which to me means that this award was founded by Endemol Shine Group. On the FlipSide site it says that FlipSide Talent is a part of the Endemol Shine Group. So it's like an award founded by the big corporation they work for.(Endemol UK and the FlipSide have the same adress)
Yeah, it's sketchy. Endemol UK is just the UK branch of Endemol Shine Group, which is a massive worldwide media distribution company that owns all kinds of huge recognizable names. Just to swipe from their wikipedia entry:
Endemol is controlled by Endemol Shine Group (a joint-venture between 21st Century Fox and Apollo Global Management) and headquartered in the Netherlands. Endemol created and runs reality, talent and game show franchises worldwide, including Big Brother, Deal or No Deal, Wipeout, The Money Drop, and Your Face Sounds Familiar. The company also has a portfolio of drama and comedy series including titles such as The Fall, Peaky Blinders, Hell On Wheels, Benidorm, Ripper Street, Black Mirror, Bad Education, My Mad Fat Diary, Hot in Cleveland, Kirstie, Leverage, Home and Away, Death Comes to Pemberley and The Crimson Field.
So they are in the business of making reality shows/reality stars popular, and knows what it's doing. Creating an awards system so that some of their properties can say they are award winning is a quick way to throw some prestige behind them, I suppose.
000dia000
emo goose

Damn, you guys are uncovering some sketchy shit if you expose them anymore you might just get this site mysteriously taken down lol
:cactus:
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

alittledizzy wrote:
l8er_sk8er wrote:Boncas award site is owned by Endemol UK, which to me means that this award was founded by Endemol Shine Group. On the FlipSide site it says that FlipSide Talent is a part of the Endemol Shine Group. So it's like an award founded by the big corporation they work for.(Endemol UK and the FlipSide have the same adress)
Yeah, it's sketchy. Endemol UK is just the UK branch of Endemol Shine Group, which is a massive worldwide media distribution company that owns all kinds of huge recognizable names. Just to swipe from their wikipedia entry:
Endemol is controlled by Endemol Shine Group (a joint-venture between 21st Century Fox and Apollo Global Management) and headquartered in the Netherlands. Endemol created and runs reality, talent and game show franchises worldwide, including Big Brother, Deal or No Deal, Wipeout, The Money Drop, and Your Face Sounds Familiar. The company also has a portfolio of drama and comedy series including titles such as The Fall, Peaky Blinders, Hell On Wheels, Benidorm, Ripper Street, Black Mirror, Bad Education, My Mad Fat Diary, Hot in Cleveland, Kirstie, Leverage, Home and Away, Death Comes to Pemberley and The Crimson Field.
So they are in the business of making reality shows/reality stars popular, and knows what it's doing. Creating an awards system so that some of their properties can say they are award winning is a quick way to throw some prestige behind them, I suppose.
:clapping:

Twitter is a sponsor.

The company is into a whole lot of television, I am wondering if they are trying to get their foot in the door for other mediums.
Endemol is controlled by Endemol Shine Group (a joint-venture between 21st Century Fox and Apollo Global Management) and headquartered in the Netherlands.
So I have to wonder if we are looking that inexpertise when it comes to You Tube creators and content, because the nominee selection seems a bit sloppy.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

The panel picking winners also has members from what looks like all the major youtube management groups and networks. From the BONCAS site:
The BONCAs jury comprises of 40 industry professionals including representatives from BBC Worldwide, Big Frame, CAA, CBBC, Cherry Pick Media, Comic Relief, Facebook, Flipside Talent, Gleam Futures, Internet Creators Guild, James Grant, Bleecker Street Management, MHA Talent Management, NVC, OP Talent, Revelmode, Sarah Weichel Management, Stand Up To Cancer, Studio 71, StyleHaul, Twitter, WME and YouTube.
Tbh, I have no idea if that's out of the ordinary for awards shows or not. I suppose having rep from every major management group balances it out but they all have the mutually beneficial goal of shining a spotlight on their clients with the noms and wins.

But I'm excited to see deppy looking all dressed up and accepting awards.
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

these awards seem sketchy off the bat, to me, but i'll hold my tongue and try and be positive till we actually see.

i agree with human it's nice to see them recognised individually, but imo only for actual individual content. they sort of have to nominate based on who's channel the content is on, however, so i'm not sure how they could've got around that just at this listing stage?

ISG up against Oscar's Hotel is complete insulting bullshit. I'm sure Dan is even embarrassed about that, to be fair. I feel sort of sorry for him, and for PJ, and others involved in these awards. neither of their collaborations with other people were worthy either in my eyes either, so yeah, when you read through and consider the Flipside thing and the Twitter sponsoring thing it does begin to look like suckering in the phandom to give the first awards year the most exposure. which is...what it is, i guess. but good business acumen?

if everyone kind of goes into it with that understanding and is gracious and it isn't awkward, i agree we could get some nice suit pics and acceptance speeches and maybe even a pic of them with the cast of Oscar's (I'm foursome trash, i don't care). i like seeing them with their peers.
art in avatar by lily
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

mermaid blood wrote:these awards seem sketchy off the bat, to me, but i'll hold my tongue and try and be positive till we actually see.

i agree with human it's nice to see them recognised individually, but imo only for actual individual content. they sort of have to nominate based on who's channel the content is on, however, so i'm not sure how they could've got around that just at this listing stage?
ISG up against Oscar's Hotel is complete insulting bullshit.
I'm sure Dan is even embarrassed about that, to be fair. I feel sort of sorry for him, and for PJ, and others involved in these awards. neither of their collaborations with other people were worthy either in my eyes either, so yeah, when you read through and consider the Flipside thing and the Twitter sponsoring thing it does begin to look like suckering in the phandom to give the first awards year the most exposure. which is...what it is, i guess. but good business acumen?

if everyone kind of goes into it with that understanding and is gracious and it isn't awkward, i agree we could get some nice suit pics and acceptance speeches and maybe even a pic of them with the cast of Oscar's (I'm foursome trash, i don't care). i like seeing them with their peers.
I totally agree. How can a video of Dan, sitting in front of a laptop reading crappy emails be compared to a production such as Oscar's Hotel? Don't get me wrong, Dan can be is a snarky little bitch and cracks me up the majority of the time, but it's almost an insult to have one-man content up against content that required more work and people.

I don't blame Deppy for this, they didn't ask for any of it. I just question the morals and the agenda of the companies behind this awards show.
daphenaxa
blobfish

I don't care for PJ's work, i hope Adrian wins for Vlune.
Other categories I hope Dan and/or Phil win everything.

those awards are a joke anyways.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

The one that gets me is rejets for Tomska's comedy skit, and the orb (also tomska) for technology. It feels like whoever reccommeded those videos doesnt actually watch his skits, and just chose popular ones or ones they had heard about. Rejects in not his funniest skit this yea (Stripper cop and primitive correctness please, I wish Shoot all your problems away wasnt 2015 :( ), and the orb is done with editing, not technology lol.
akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

The problem with BONCA is the there are only so many big creators in UK so at the end there are only so many people ended up being nominated, regardless of how good their videos are.

And another reason why it is a flop is, there is no clear criteria for each awards. Just look at the best series you can realize how ridiculous it is, how can you compare professionally-produced scripted webseries to a guy sitting in front of a camera answering viewer's questions? There is no comparison here! If the aim of these awards is to provide an industry perspective, then it is clearly unfair to have so many mediocre videos on the list simply because they are made by big youtubers.

Also the award is hosted by flipside it seems? That might explain so many don and phol everywhere.
sweetmm
angel bean

danphil333 wrote:

sweetmm
angel bean

felucca wrote:I compiled a bunch of Boncas videos into one big video of the event, figured it'd make it easier to watch in the future. Did I miss anything?

Timestamps:
0:07 collab of the year award (Pinof 7)
1:26 film of the year award (Tatinof)
2:48 filmmaker of the year award (Phil)
4:31 The Internet Is Here teaser performance
6:01 The Internet Is Here actual performance
10:53 After the show (interview and stuff)
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

Hi.

Do you guys know why Zoella and Alfie didn't attend the awards? I am forcing myself to watch the BONCAs vlogs of some youtubers just to look for D&P. I noticed that some of the most popular Gleamers are not there.