Dan & Phil Part 30: I want your ass

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
JoeAverage
sad dimple

So I just saw this on twitter :sideeye:, opinions on cat?? (Also it pleases me to say that i checked and dan ignored the fuck out of her )

-On the dan vegan debate (or as i like to call it the dang) i just want 2 things:
him not regretting saying or not saying something, and him doing it cos he wants to, not to please others.

Top of the page
Phil Lester is a genius
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

rizzo wrote:

The poor host basically gets ignored the whole time......
Bless Phil for attempting to include her by accessorising her with the tinsels. Protip, avoid having Dan in-between for any interviews, he'll block others :lol:
tactigdsve
tol bean

JoeAverage wrote:So I just saw this on twitter :sideeye:, opinions on cat??
i kind of interpreted that as cat fawning over the puppy rather than over dan tho??? or are people just mad because she's seemingly attention seeking???? i'm no expert on cat's past online interactions with d+p but that reply/retweet seems totally innocuous to me, idk
sweetmm
angel bean

tactigdsve wrote:
JoeAverage wrote:So I just saw this on twitter :sideeye:, opinions on cat??
i kind of interpreted that as cat fawning over the puppy rather than over dan tho??? or are people just mad because she's seemingly attention seeking???? i'm no expert on cat's past online interactions with d+p but that reply/retweet seems totally innocuous to me, idk
Yeah I took it as she fawning over the dog as she considers herself a "dog-lover" ;)
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

JoeAverage wrote:So I just saw this on twitter :sideeye:, opinions on cat?? (Also it pleases me to say that i checked and dan ignored the fuck out of her )

-On the dan vegan debate (or as i like to call it the dang) i just want 2 things:
him not regretting saying or not saying something, and him doing it cos he wants to, not to please others.

Top of the page
While Cat is very much included in my D&P Need Better Friends narative, I don't think she was aiming for Dan here but for the adorable dog. Or so I hope :')
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
JoeAverage
sad dimple

Ups, now I feel silly! I kinda forgot she liked dogs, oh the irony in her name.

Anyways, yes on the video:
sweetmm wrote: Bless Phil for attempting to include her by accessorising her with the tinsels. Protip, avoid having Dan in-between for any interviews, he'll block others :lol:
awww, I liked the host, and I also felt she was talking at first but got so blocked she decided to keep quiet and let them do their thing.
Phil Lester is a genius
sweetmm
angel bean

Ooops they did it again Congratulations on #1
vincentian
hobbit hair

sweetmm wrote:Ooops they did it again Congratulations on #1
Yay! Surpassing Zayn. Idk what it says about the list though.

The NHIE video was niiice for a promotional video (I might have watched it 3 times in a row), there's always this contrast of D&P's editing vs someone else's editing that is refreshing. Also I think Phil is now the "pretty" one of the two, tables have turned. (disclaimer, I'm jk)
coffee pig
woodland creature
Pronouns: ''ugh, her again''

JoeAverage wrote:So I just saw this on twitter :sideeye:, opinions on cat?? (Also it pleases me to say that i checked and dan ignored the fuck out of her )
Ooh man, there's enough salt here to rival the Dead Sea. Listen, I know Cat doesn't have the best track record, but 90% of the unbridled dislike for her isn't because of how she treats her dogs or that she's still maybe friends with Luke Conrad and therefore a rape apologist (she didn't even go out of her way to defend him or his actions, just didn't say anything substantial about the situation.) People simply don't think she's interesting enough, nice enough, quirky enough, whatever enough to be worthy of Dan and Phil's friendship, which is kind of fucked up. Let's not pretend for a second that this is about Cat but about the fandom's jealousy.
{ bisexual Philophile and respectful stalker since 2008 }
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

coffee pig wrote:
Ooh man, there's enough salt here to rival the Dead Sea. Listen, I know Cat doesn't have the best track record, but 90% of the unbridled dislike for her isn't because of how she treats her dogs or that she's still maybe friends with Luke Conrad and therefore a rape apologist (she didn't even go out of her way to defend him or his actions, just didn't say anything substantial about the situation.) People simply don't think she's interesting enough, nice enough, quirky enough, whatever enough to be worthy of Dan and Phil's friendship, which is kind of fucked up. Let's not pretend for a second that this is about Cat but about the fandom's jealousy.
Yes, this, I'm sick of Cat-hatewank. She addressed the comments about her not saying something that people expected her to a while ago on tumblr, I don't see what she did wrong (her quietness was twisted into labelling her as something and hating her for it?), either way let her live. She seems nice and I've always liked her, fair enough that not everyone does, but bitching about her isn't necessary.
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

Kinda offtopic but something's been bothering me recently, and it's actually been discussed before so I can totally get if people will just ignore this, but is anyone else thinking that Deppy are losing fans or the interest of their current fans? I'm not sure about the Twitter fandom but Tumblr has been very slow the past week. Before, an hour break would lead to me not being able to catch up on the tags anymore unless I'm willing to spend a significant amount of time just being on Tumblr. Now, an hour will pass and less than 10 posts will be posted on the the "phan" tag that are actually related to them and not personal posts. :?
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

RiriPandaHeart2 wrote:Kinda offtopic but something's been bothering me recently, and it's actually been discussed before so I can totally get if people will just ignore this, but is anyone else thinking that Deppy are losing fans or the interest of their current fans? I'm not sure about the Twitter fandom but Tumblr has been very slow the past week. Before, an hour break would lead to me not being able to catch up on the tags anymore unless I'm willing to spend a significant amount of time just being on Tumblr. Now, an hour will pass and less than 10 posts will be posted on the the "phan" tag that are actually related to them and not personal posts. :?
I can only speak for myself here, but I know that I've had things bigger than deppy on my mind this past week and my tumblr has reflected that with a lot more real-world posts and a lot less fandom. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is not the week to be assuming any slowness is a failing of deppy; it's more likely the fact that a lot of people are shaken and distracted, combined with no content from them.
hopefulemm
squish

RiriPandaHeart2 wrote:I'm not sure about the Twitter fandom but Tumblr has been very slow the past week. Before, an hour break would lead to me not being able to catch up on the tags anymore unless I'm willing to spend a significant amount of time just being on Tumblr. Now, an hour will pass and less than 10 posts will be posted on the the "phan" tag that are actually related to them and not personal posts. :?
I can't speak for anyone else, obvs, but I've barely been on Tumblr this week. It's been a bad time for me with anxiety and my depression lately, and the election happened right smack in the middle of that most recent breakdown and brought me really low. Seeing other peoples' anxieties all over my dash would only raise my own, and I wouldn't be able to handle another breakdown this week, so I've just avoided it altogether. I feel like Deppy might be on the backburner for a lot of people because of concern over Trump overshadows things.

Then again, I've been using their videos (mostly Phil's tbh) as a way to calm down and get out of my head a bit, so I suppose they haven't really been on the backburner for me...

(Apologies for this being my first post. Eta: Just noticed alittledizzy got there before me; sorry for the repeat.)
avatar by mushroomtale-fanart @ tumblr
walking talking work in progress
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

Thanks Dizzy and Hopefulemm!

You two are most likely right. Thanks! It never occured to me cause I'm the complete opposite in the sense that when the real world is too toxic, I'm more on Tumblr. The US elections are of course a big deal too in my country + we had a political issue this week too so I was using Tumblr as distraction. Probably why I noticed it this week + combined with people being more concerned with real world problems. Won't be bothered about it now so thank you so much for answering!

Edit: Welcome to the forum Hopefulemm!
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

RiriPandaHeart2 wrote:Kinda offtopic but something's been bothering me recently, and it's actually been discussed before so I can totally get if people will just ignore this, but is anyone else thinking that Deppy are losing fans or the interest of their current fans? I'm not sure about the Twitter fandom but Tumblr has been very slow the past week. Before, an hour break would lead to me not being able to catch up on the tags anymore unless I'm willing to spend a significant amount of time just being on Tumblr. Now, an hour will pass and less than 10 posts will be posted on the the "phan" tag that are actually related to them and not personal posts. :?
I've brought it up before and got told that I was too dramatic but I'm gonna repeat myself anyway. Deppy have grown far too comfortable with their status and the loyalty of the phandom. It's gotta crumble but at some point but I fear that they've quickened the process this year with all the tour and book wank. It was fun for a part of the hardcore audience but even they're a bit :\ about it now, casuals barely ever cared for it in the first place and it's not the type of content that allows a channel to grow more. Currently their view counts are still superb, but their sub count is moving slower than ever and that's never good.

They've peaked in popularity by now, but they're really gonna have to work hard to 1. Not let their audience stray especially because anything outside of YouTube that D&P get hired for is directly related to the dedicated fanbase that they bring with them and 2. Allow their channels to grow again. That possibly won't be at the same pace that it used to and I'm not sure what that could entail though. More of the same they've always done? Trying new things? Either way they have their work cut out for them next year and I really hope they aren't gonna half ass it and be lazy. Otherwise Dan's prediction of having 3 good years left might be too optimistic.

I'm not looking at 'this week' by the way because Tumblr has been dead in general due to the fuckery happening over in the USA/the world. I've been noticing this for months now and I definitely see a less engaged audience than a year ago. Even IDB moves slooooow on some days, and we get less discussion out of new content than out of Dan's vegan phases.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
flurry
living flop

Honestly I agree and I feel like with all the #spon that has been happening recently with the book and tour stuff, casual viewers will be turned off D&P. Spooky Week wasn't that great too, which might explain why the gaming videos like Sonic didn't get say over a million views. I've recently had a renewed interest in D&P, but if I remained as a casual viewer which I am most of the time, I would remain subscribed to them but I probably would not keep up to date with their videos - maybe I would just come back a year later and watch their videos at a go since it doesn't seem like much is happening , especially if the tour and books don't interest me. This is just hypothetical though! I also do agree that Youtubers need to put in effort to keep their audiences. I remember following Charlie's videos quite closely at the time when he lost a lot of subscribers and never recovered from it - shows how easy it is to be overtaken by others in this online world! Their tour has also been going on for quite some time (it hasn't even ended yet?!) so some people would have definitely gotten fed up of not seeing their usual stuff for some time. I'd say they might need to quickly get back into the groove of separate channel uploads, videos together and gaming videos if they want to sustain interest. Just my thoughts though! Everything moves so fast online.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

I really don’t see the decline.
I still saw lots of new gifs of their latest amazingphil vid and of the NHIE one on Tumblr.
Besides that they just had their second book hit the #1 spot on the New York Times bestseller list, and Phil’s vid hit a million views in about three days.
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

are doing just fine. Tumblr is its own special place. You can't define their actual popularity based on how well they are doing on tumblr. The things that are surpassing them in people's blogs and the trending list are camilla, rwby, homestuck, and jacksepticeye. Camilla has a gay ship and airs the night they count fandometrics, so the surge of activity that night puts them on top, rwby and homestuck are just really interesting fandoms, and jacksepticeye has 13 million subs. If DnP can keep up with a guy who has 13 million subs, I would say they are doing all right. Also people don't tag their sht properly. I see tons of DnP stuff on tumblr that isnt tagged with their names, and therefore doesn't feed into fandometrics.

I personally unfollowed a ton of DnP related blogs recently and replaced them with Yuri on Ice, politics, planet coaster, space, and other interests so I have more variety. It doesn't mean I enjoy seeing their faces less, or that I have stopped watching videos.

Speaking on which dan is on a tumblr queue spree right now...new gaming video?
DryCereal
koi pond

Some of you need a "doom-goggles" emote. JFC. Or we could go old-school and opt for a "drama llama"

You pick. :thumb:
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
felucca
truth bomb

Jc the vegan discussion, are you kidding me, that's exactly the kind of stuff that'd make me reconsider even trying - can't even say you're gonna eat some vegan food for a week without getting attacked from both directions. Bless all ye chill people, let's be best friends.
Firstly, everything Catallena said. The whole tour/book thing has been a huge success for D&P and their core audience, but their Youtube career is starting to suffer from it at this point.

Youtube's a volatile business. There are plenty of examples of formerly popular youtubers who still make videos, but for a much, much smaller audience, and it happens quickly. Using Tyler Oakley as a recent example, he used to average a minimum of a million views per video just a year ago, and now he's down to a 100-400 k average. What did he do? Well, he had projects outside of Youtube that took up a lot of his time - published a book, made a movie, hosted in traditional media, ran a summer camp... Didn't post regularly. People lost interest.

Now I don't think Deppy's in any immediate danger just yet - as SquishPhan and others point out they're hugely popular and doing very well for themselves. However they may very well have peaked. The first signs of stagnation in subs and views have started and that's never a good sign, and it's something they need to think very carefully about from now on if they want to reverse the trend. 2017 will be a deciding year for the both of them.
coffee pig wrote:Ooh man, there's enough salt here to rival the Dead Sea. Listen, I know Cat doesn't have the best track record, but 90% of the unbridled dislike for her isn't because of how she treats her dogs or that she's still maybe friends with Luke Conrad and therefore a rape apologist (she didn't even go out of her way to defend him or his actions, just didn't say anything substantial about the situation.) People simply don't think she's interesting enough, nice enough, quirky enough, whatever enough to be worthy of Dan and Phil's friendship, which is kind of fucked up. Let's not pretend for a second that this is about Cat but about the fandom's jealousy.

I'd quote you in the FAQ but I'm trying for impartiality. Lots of people have valid reasons for disliking Cat but so many are just bandwagoning for nothing yo.
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
silverwinter
spork

felucca there's an faq?
felucca
truth bomb

silverwinter wrote:felucca there's an faq?
Ummm we're working on it.
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
JoeAverage
sad dimple

Re:cat thing.
I was debating myself whether to answer or not since I don't think all those answers were to me personally, it was mostly general, but as the person that started this whole thing and have my post at the the top of the page (yay), I think I need to state the following:

-I do agree that unfortunately some people get treated badly just because of envy in the phandom (actually in every fandom), and it's mostly girls that get subjected to the witch hunt, (I read this interesting essay about how society for ages has put women against each other and that affects us even today, but that's a thing for another time), but in this case it isn't that, I have my own valid reasons to dislike cat's actions (and not necessarily cat herself) that in no form rely on envy or jealousy, I understand that there are some people that are like that, but i do not feel that because of some annoying group, others reasons of dislike on: "cat, louise, tyler, pj, chris, etc" have to be attacked or diminished. Anyway like stated before this isn't me defending myself because I do not feel I was being personally answered or anything, I'm just stating that not all people that dislike cat, louise, chris etc. do it for the same reasons.
Phil Lester is a genius
melon lord
morning quiff

It's always going to be imbalanced anyway because there aren't a lot of male Youtubers they are close to apart from maybe Tyler and that's stretching it a bit. But fans love Louise, which is telling. And Louise has been closer to deppy than Cat was. The rest of the YT clique are either assholes (evan/emma/jack/etc) or they are too far away/distant to be considered a friend. I wouldn't consider paperlilies a youtuber anymore but they also like her, too.

I think there's a huge gap between disliking Cat/her personality/her actions and just not watching her videos unless it's for a specific reason, and sending her hate messages, harassment, generally being a dick on the internet. I'm gonna be salty about her for a long, long time but I'm not gonna bother anyone, I just let the salt flow in fan spaces like this forum.

I dislike a lot of youtubers for various reasons that could be considered superficial- that is, not related to me personally because they haven't affected me as a person. And I enjoy being salty about them, which as I recall is the basis of the unmentionable place. So I see no difference between ggossip threads talking shit about online personalities they dislike, and talking shit about Cat.

To imply that a lot of the salt is merely jealousy is kind of dismissive to both the forum members and the very idea of online gossip/trash. When someone activates the dislike vibe in you, you can't just turn it off when it's suitable. And there have been plenty of legitimate reasons to think poorly of her. Whether it's her dogs, her behaviour, the lazy way she acquired numbers and friends, the way she reacted to recent events, it's valid. Heck, even if it IS jealousy, it's still valid. How you deal with that jealousy towards other people is what matters. You can be so jealous you start foaming at the mouth and your head spins in circles, but it won't make her life any worse unless you act upon it.

Most of the time the jealousy fades when the young/emotionally dependent/fantasising about deppy fans find someone in their life who fills that gap they imagine will fill. Or they grow up, or they lose interest.

Honestly, the ass kissers are worse. I would rather have someone be upfront about their negative feelings than shove their head so far up Cat's ass just because she's close to deppy that they come out of her throat.

eevee
emo goose

Dan’s ls Nov 8, 2016 timestamps:

1:13: he’s doing the fucking infinity thing when will we be spared of this torture
2:02: cute folded hands chin on hands halp
3:28: Is Dan jealous that Thomas (vine star guy) met Pooh’s voice actor? Not sure.
4:17ish: “you diverse bunch of pelicans” continuation of the weird-ass nicknames for viewers
5:05: why are you in London while Phil’s in Florida? Apparently Phil’s family was planning to vacation to florida at this time and Phil got the book publishers to fly him to Orlando?? I don’t really see the connection there but okay
6:31: finally stopped reading out random chat messages and started talking about something, talking about how the CEO of Instagram invited a bunch of people to a restaurant in London to “have a chat, no particular reason…it was extremely vague.” There was also “interactive food” I guess he’s talking about the smoking ice cream or whatever??
9:22: someone asked him about his anime rec’s but instead he gave us detailed instructions on how to go to Phil’s youtube channel and watch the cosplay video, oh Dan
9:32: Apparently Phil really didn’t prepare Dan for the costumes “kind of traumatizing for me”
9:59: “may be the last video I do on Phil’s channel” excuse do not say that so seriously, you’re scaring me ):
10:36: #DanNeedsStorage Ickle what number moving mention is this???
12:26: election talk starts
13:03: A bunch of people are going to pubs to watch it, “I wish I had friends” then low key backtracking saying he’s not the kind of person to even do that, he’s the kind to stay inside with pizza and internet and masturbate into the pizza apparently
13:39: Been going to sleep at 4am recently “uhhhhh” no Dan please tell us the reason …. No not because you’re going to LA that’s not the reason we wanted UGH
14:04: more election talk, he’d vote for Hillary (shocker) now he gets into gov’t and culture
15:05: “Anyone who’s been in the public eye as long as her is bound to be in controversies” are you projecting?? I think this viewpoint is really interesting. He has some first-hand experience being in the “public eye” (sort of) and I’d like to hear him speak a little more about how that affects people and public opinion of them
16:31: “Libertarianism is a bit silly” please tell me more!!! Back up your claims!!!
17:32: Jared is the only straight male there, to which Dan responds “how would you know that? 20% of my audience is male” and then he’s like “until Google introduces a what do you think your sexuality might be form when you sign up you’ll never know that” interesting choice of words? I guess? Maybe not. I want to know what you guys think.
18:00: by the way, Dan is genuinely stressed about the election
18:21ish: Goes back to audience on Youtube and gender, apparently a lot of vloggers have 99% female viewership because teenage boys mostly go to gamers and not vloggers, then he goes on to discuss that he came from in between the charlieissocoollike time and the gleam time which is really true…..and then he dropped the topic no Dan please analyze more about youtubers and their viewerships and the time they got popular pleeeease
19:22 back to anime vid talk, went straight for the cosplay one again
19:59: “the video I made with amazingphil” in case y’all forgot what youtube channel to go to, we are talking about amazingphil.
21:49: again, the channel is amazingphil
22:10: super cold in England, but he likes it when it’s cold and hates the super hot temperatures England reaches
23:15: “we filmed a gaming video before we left” oops I forgot me and Phil didn’t do this together…y’know since we do everything together
23:51: bla bla you like when we collab bla bla “this has been the year of Dan and Phil” SHOOK
25:05: why is US DAPGO censored? “because America is weird and you can’t show butts” was there going to be butts?
28:33: “I had good hair in a video I watched recently, I need to get that back” I live for Dan watching his own videos and also his hair in the past
29:22: why didn’t you want to do signings? Because DAPGO is different content to the first one and they wanted to do different things…k? Okay now he’s actually answering, he was very inspired by the papertowns movie event Q+A thingy with John Green
30:45: Okay so he’s talking about signings and stuff but he’s also working pretty diligently to keep his onesie closed, and I don’t really know why because it looks like he’s wearing a grey shirt underneath but maybe he’s not?
32:10: said YouTube Rewind and then immediately changed the subject to cheating penguins
32:50: Top dog breeds: small dogs are good, corgis are underrated
33:51: I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here last year asked him to be on it “super trashy” “2-3 more relevant years” basically said he’s not desperate enough to go on reality tv, haha
36:06: Candle talk begins, cinnamon and clove scented candle, “it’s so good, candles give me so much joy” you guys weren’t kidding, he was really into that candle
37:31: he finally mentions his anime rec video as if he just thought of it now, even though the chat has been trying to get him to talk about it all liveshow hahaha
39:58: Moulin Rouge is one of Dan’s fav movies
43:14: I was right, he is wearing a grey t-shirt under the onesie!
47:07: “you should learn to like the kardashians” thanks but no thanks
47:56: going vegan for a week this week, he was vegan “for a long time last year” but people are saying it was only a month? Is that a long time to you Dan?
48:30: “in the future, everybody will be vegan”
49:34: HE JUST RAN HIS HANDS OVER HIS CHEST AND PUSHED HIS TITS TOGETHER IM NOT FUCKING KIDDING YOU RN
49:58: no autonomy when living with parents
52:00: a lot of followers, more pressure on what he says. He also wants to make sure he tells his followers correct things, which is hard with politics.
53:51: got a new icon, also Phil changed his. In case we forgot that Phil exists and Dan loves him very much.
54:27: “you all would’ve attacked me viciously” for the peace sign icon. Do people really hate Dan’s peace sign that much? It’s just something he likes to do in pics.
54:50: his youtube channel layout/design needs an update and he’s been putting it off for “like two years”
55:37: his tumblr is really bad too and he needs to change it, he’s aware.
56:30: “is there anything else you want to talk about? I’m here.” He sounded so lonely, my heart
59:33: doesn’t know if DAPGOOSE LA will be filmed.
59:21: onesie is warm mention number like 57, I’m starting to wonder if Dan is extra cold due to the lack of Phil cuddles
59:45: fist mouth bragging, he could do it but doesn’t need to do it right now. Okay.
1:01:00: in conclusion, watch the video he made with Phil on Phil’s channel. In case you forgot. It’s on amazingphil.

Bonus cute screenshots:

And an opinion:

I really relate to the “no autonomy when you’re younger” thing. My dad is always going on and on about how lovely it was to be a child with no responsibilities, but I don’t see it that way. To me, being under 18 was just rule after rule and I didn’t enjoy having such strict parents. I’m not trying to make any claims about how much Dan enjoyed his childhood but I do relate to that one statement he made about having no autonomy and that sucks.

Love y’all
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia