Dan & Phil part 32...and what a thicc thread it was

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

I am enjoying their Japanese themed games. I really like their "We don't give a fuck." attitude. I can't keep up with their content and IDB. Where is the poll on when they'll miss uploading videos before Christmas?

I hope Crunchyroll will still sponsor their Japan trip. But I will be so pissed if they go to Japan this month. I'll be leaving Japan this month. I'll be leaving Japan soon. Not that I plan to stalk them.
bantstrash
delia smith

Back on the subject of views for a second. I watched the video last night when it came out. When I was looking at my subs box this morning it looked like I hadn't watched it and it only shows as watched now after my second viewing. Definitely something glitchy with youtube and views.
melon lord
morning quiff
Pronouns: she/her

papierklemmen wrote:
yeah, the more i think about it, the more i'm inclined to believe that they indeed are just mocking het-male friendship standards (although now i'm kinda conflicted, i put on some tiny phan goggles yesterday and now i don't rule out the possibility that they are roasting their own p-l-a-t-o-n-i-c bros schtick). either way, whatever their reason for it, i'm living for it and i hope they continue
Actual picture of happy trash can papierklemmen with tiny phan goggles

Sorry for not contributing much to the convo :lol:

vincentian
hobbit hair

papierklemmen wrote:
violet-writer wrote:I loved them making fun of 'bro' culture. So good. So. Good.

I mean, I am a firm believer in them only being friends, but I love that they negate the typical het-male friendship standards, and show how silly it is. They remind me of how two female friends may act, knowing they can be themselves around the other and open!

I wish more guys had that kind of perception towards social norms and the idea of how men should act. It's fucking refreshing.
yeah, the more i think about it, the more i'm inclined to believe that they indeed are just mocking het-male friendship standards (although now i'm kinda conflicted, i put on some tiny phan goggles yesterday and now i don't rule out the possibility that they are roasting their own p-l-a-t-o-n-i-c bros schtick). either way, whatever their reason for it, i'm living for it and i hope they continue
This bro-thing leaves me confused, and I don't find it very funny. It was Phil who was a bit too hyper in the WWTBAM video iirc and started kicking/tapping Dan, and when Dan told him to calm down, he went with the "bros" excuse and carried on. Now they made it a running joke throughout the several the gamingmas videos. They know all physical contact gets heavily giffed and rewatched (remembering the graph from TomSka's last video they know precisely which moments), and the bro talk accompanying it is imo them being low-key sarcastic about it. (soz if this sounds cynical)

Overall, I have been really enjoying gamingmas so far (and very shocked with every day uploads), my favourite videos are the new Undertale, WWTBAM and yesterday's Dance Evolution.
Maybe they indeed got some help with the technical side of video editing/exporting files or found a very strong financial motivation to drop so much good content on us all at once.
papierklemmen
flower crown

melon lord, the resemblance is uncanny, tbh! :lol:
vincentian wrote: This bro-thing leaves me confused, and I don't find it very funny. It was Phil who was a bit too hyper in the WWTBAM video iirc and started kicking/tapping Dan, and when Dan told him to calm down, he went with the "bros" excuse and carried on. Now they made it a running joke throughout the several the gamingmas videos. They know all physical contact gets heavily giffed and rewatched (remembering the graph from TomSka's last video they know precisely which moments), and the bro talk accompanying it is imo them being low-key sarcastic about it. (soz if this sounds cynical)
cynical posts are the best posts!
it's realllly quite plausible, their sarcasm is not that lowkey. well, phil's is, but dan, for instance, likes to troll the phandom with his editing (or his own reaction faces) by emphasizing #phan moments. he himself zoomed in on the barely noticeable butt-touch moment, probably thinking "what the hell, someone's gonna do it anyway, might as well put it in the very video" :lol:
mez29
procrastinator

Was anyone else surprised by Dan's reaction to Phil's win at the end of the video? He seemed quite happy about it. Quite a change from most Dan versus Phils where he's ultra-competitive and ready to make a lot of excuses if he doesn't win in the end (which would have been pretty easy on this occasion given the dodginess of the movement recognition software).

also, late to felucca's post but
felucca wrote:ssso preciousssssssss.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

vincentian wrote:
This bro-thing leaves me confused, and I don't find it very funny. It was Phil who was a bit too hyper in the WWTBAM video iirc and started kicking/tapping Dan, and when Dan told him to calm down, he went with the "bros" excuse and carried on. Now they made it a running joke throughout the several the gamingmas videos. They know all physical contact gets heavily giffed and rewatched (remembering the graph from TomSka's last video they know precisely which moments), and the bro talk accompanying it is imo them being low-key sarcastic about it. (soz if this sounds cynical)

:
That's an interesting interpretation, and may well have been their intention, but personally I just view it as them mocking bro-culture. Regardless of whether they're in a relationship or not (I swing back and forth but rn am leaning toward they are), they really don't have that sort of dynamic at all and clearly they think it's all pretty ridiculous and just ... not them. I don't see it as them poking fun at shippers but moreso as them emphasising the fact that those sort of macho bro interactions don't come naturally to them at all, for whatever reason.
human
dan hand trash

mez29 wrote:Was anyone else surprised by Dan's reaction to Phil's win at the end of the video? He seemed quite happy about it. Quite a change from most Dan versus Phils where he's ultra-competitive and ready to make a lot of excuses if he doesn't win in the end (which would have been pretty easy on this occasion given the dodginess of the movement recognition software).
I wasn't surprised lol. I generally find Dan to be a good loser, although he is technically better at most games than Phil, but I think Dan vs. Phil is more fun when it's more competitive. I felt like the board was looking so heavily swayed in Dan's favour that levelling it out a little bit is going to bring the momentum back whenever they do it. So I'm sure it's all tactical to the popularity of the challenge on the channel lol.
hmm
drama llama

human wrote:
mez29 wrote:Was anyone else surprised by Dan's reaction to Phil's win at the end of the video? He seemed quite happy about it. Quite a change from most Dan versus Phils where he's ultra-competitive and ready to make a lot of excuses if he doesn't win in the end (which would have been pretty easy on this occasion given the dodginess of the movement recognition software).
I wasn't surprised lol. I generally find Dan to be a good loser, although he is technically better at most games than Phil, but I think Dan vs. Phil is more fun when it's more competitive. I felt like the board was looking so heavily swayed in Dan's favour that levelling it out a little bit is going to bring the momentum back whenever they do it. So I'm sure it's all tactical to the popularity of the challenge on the channel lol.
perhaps this is the real dan, and competitive dan is the fake one

and if they did refilm, it probably was deliberate (not that i dont love it and the video)
Waggle9007 wrote:Absolutely LOVED the video Probably my favourite so far from gamingmas

Odd thing I noticed, at 9:18, they clearly refilmed the reaction to the grades, as what they're doing on camera is not what they're doing on screen. (I don't think that made sense but OH WELL)

Keep it coming guys, gamingmas is making me so happy
papierklemmen
flower crown

i'm pretty sure when dan said "i'm happy you won" he was jokingly referring to the fact that they could perfectly fill in that unsatisfying gap between phil's last two paper trophies on the board...
hmm
drama llama

papierklemmen wrote: i'm pretty sure when dan said "i'm happy you won" he was jokingly referring to the fact that they could perfectly fill in that unsatisfying gap between phil's last two paper trophies on the board...
mm true his inner neatness coming through
he didn't throw his the normal temper tantrum though 'you finally got more than three stickers, go you'

ahhhhh i cant express how much i love gaymas
peekatyou
drama llama

I feel like this may be an opportunity for me to write this amazing thing that Dan said in their last joint live show (at 14:55, if anybody's interested) - 'I hate competition. I’d happily not win anything ever. I’d just clap my friends.' Like, I know he was talking about awards of all kinds, but still - how cool is that? Maybe that's his general (very healthy imo) attitude towards all that competition stuff.
gnostic
stress mushroom

peekatyou wrote:I feel like this may be an opportunity for me to write this amazing thing that Dan said in their last joint live show (at 14:55, if anybody's interested) - 'I hate competition. I’d happily not win anything ever. I’d just clap my friends.' Like, I know he was talking about awards of all kinds, but still - how cool is that? Maybe that's his general (very healthy imo) attitude towards all that competition stuff.
Doesn't seem so from how he loses his shit generally, in a manner which really does seem sincere.

Anyway I just wrote a giant post on the whole "bro" thing and then IdB decided to log me out and didn't preserve it. Clearly the universe doesn't want me to be
Just here for the marketing skills
corn flakes
moon room

peekatyou wrote:I feel like this may be an opportunity for me to write this amazing thing that Dan said in their last joint live show (at 14:55, if anybody's interested) - 'I hate competition. I’d happily not win anything ever. I’d just clap my friends.' Like, I know he was talking about awards of all kinds, but still - how cool is that? Maybe that's his general (very healthy imo) attitude towards all that competition stuff.
Now he seems to have a healthy attitude towards competition, wants to be good but isn't there to be the center of the attention. It seems more like he doesn't know how to deal with an award ceremony, how to be proud and at the same time not "superb", so at the end as he is not much into it he prefers to see his friends win and be happy.On the yher side he wants to be good at things. Pretty normal and sure an improvement from a few years ago (see that envy video)
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Artdefines06 wrote:
gnostic wrote:
fancybum wrote:can someone explain why it's acceptable to call it gaymas
Well I personally do it in honor of "why didn't they call it game-mas instead if gamingmas" joke
Agreed, its a play on words that they knew gamesmas, the obvious name, sounded too much like gaymas, so they had to awkwardly add on that ing making it sound really un-natural. To me its a joke about how self aware they are, not OMG THEY ARE GAY
Thanks for explaining. I was slightly uncomfortable with the joke too but I get it now and that IS kinda funny. :D

I hope you don't mind me saying but am I the only one who ships them less with their new behaviour towards each other? I wasn't much of a shipper anyway (I didn't and still don't rule out they might be together but I don't really believe it) but all this battering and pushing lately reminds me so much of how my male friends act towards each other, I don't really see the clues you guys seem to see. (I agree though that comparing their friendship to other friendships won't get us anywhere, I just noticed this.) I love how close they seem lately though, it feels so much more natural than what they acted like before. Loving Gamingmas as well, it's probably their best content all year.
papierklemmen
flower crown

gnostic the universe is trying to bring balance to the Force

i also think that his "competition" comment was about awards only and that he feels uncomfortable/awkward during them. he gets mad competitive during games with him friends tho, although it's possible it's 100% played up for videos. which reminds me that i still lose my shit at dan's "WELL, A MILLISECOND TOO LATE, SISTER!!!!!" in the obama llama video :lol: (and louise's "you have issues :shock: ")
hiddenwombat
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

did anyone else notice at 9:08 the kinect detects them as the opposite player? how far into the song was that? who is the true winner of that DvP?

I'm getting back to the point where i just DGAF whether or not they are together, they are happy and comfortable and relaxed and an absolute pleasure to watch. gaymas is the best advent calendar i have ever had
sentinel
lady door

Dan twerking at Phil's crotch gave me a new purpose in life ngl
Catallena wrote:Wtf 6 pages and two videos to catch up on. I'll watch DAPGOOSE tomorrow while taking too long doing my makeup.

Dance Evolution was so damn cute and funny

- Dan's jumper ramains awful, Phil looks amazing in black and slightly messy hair. Nothing new to see here folks.
- Sweater paws tho.
- Dan gently shoving Phil.
- 'That was erotic.' Ok.
- 'Two minutes of dancing.' I wouldn't call it that.
- 'Would you like a cup of tea?' 'Yes Makoto' ..where did Makoto come from? Why is Dan thinking of Makoto? Someone explain.
- Dan touched the butt.
- Phil got the D.
- Casual 'Philly' of the day.
- LMAO @ the chest bump.
- More mocking of bro culture, 2012!me is shook. What are they trying to tell us :')
- Phil wiggles his hips, Dan thinks they're fine. I bet.
- *me growling at Avex logo*
- Don't insult the legendary Night Of Fire choreo by calling it dabbing.
- Deppy wish they were on the level of Hinoi Team ft. Koriki
- Phil giving Dan a fertility massage. People who watch this video without watching the Sims episode are gonna be confused. :lol:
- More dabbing and Phil really isn't sorry.
- Dan basically twerking on Phil is a thing now :ASs:

Christmas 2016 is cancelled if it means that this uploading bliss will last forever tbh. :thumb:
Artdefines06 wrote:
gnostic wrote:
fancybum wrote:can someone explain why it's acceptable to call it gaymas
Well I personally do it in honor of "why didn't they call it game-mas instead if gamingmas" joke
Agreed, its a play on words that they knew gamesmas, the obvious name, sounded too much like gaymas, so they had to awkwardly add on that ing making it sound really un-natural. To me its a joke about how self aware they are, not OMG THEY ARE GAY
Yep, if they're gonna jump through hoops to avoid gamemas/gaymas, I'm gonna mercilessly use that exact phrase as a joke because reasons.
OH THANK GOD. I felt like I was taking crazy pills. It is truly atrocious lmao.
eevee wrote:so this is lowkey a shitpost but I noticed in dapgoose that dan and phil spent a lot of the show sitting like this:
So I googled it and the top two sites (1, 2) said that it's to display the genitals. I'm absolutely dead.
The American Figure Four

This position is a seated version of a Pelvic Display as it highlights the genitals and is used by American males or any cultures that are becoming 'Americanized'
In an unconscious manner it exposes the genitals
These sites are both really bad and probably can't be trusted, so I'm not taking it seriously, but I find it amusing :lol:
Lmao I'll have to disagree here, it's probaby bc a. it's very hard to cross your legs in skinny jeans and b. if you do you smash your nuts so they just have no other way of sitting
Last edited by sentinel on Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mez29
procrastinator

human wrote:I wasn't surprised lol. I generally find Dan to be a good loser, although he is technically better at most games than Phil, but I think Dan vs. Phil is more fun when it's more competitive. I felt like the board was looking so heavily swayed in Dan's favour that levelling it out a little bit is going to bring the momentum back whenever they do it. So I'm sure it's all tactical to the popularity of the challenge on the channel lol.
true (if cynical haha). Re Dan being a good loser, I'm now thinking he tends to be more competitive during the event and then perhaps better with it if he loses afterwards. whereas Phil is perhaps the other way around? I'm thinking of the time that he stuck the sticker on his side of the board when it was meant to be Dan's (although presumably played up for the camera).
hmm wrote:perhaps this is the real dan, and competitive dan is the fake one
definitely ready to get invested in this conspiracy theory
papierklemmen wrote:i'm pretty sure when dan said "i'm happy you won" he was jokingly referring to the fact that they could perfectly fill in that unsatisfying gap between phil's last two paper trophies on the board...
Sure, but I meant his whole attitude towards the end of the video.
Aha, that's interesting. I think different kinds of competitions could potentially inspire different attitudes/levels of competitiveness: being up for a YouTube award and not really being able to do anything about it is quite an abstract thing compared with making a 10-minute gaming video where what you do for those 10 minutes directly and immediately causes the result. (And competing against Phil would be different from competing against acquaintances/colleagues too.) (having looked back at the thread since writing this, pretty much what papierklemmen said. also corn flakes, nice.)
gnostic wrote:Doesn't seem so from how he loses his shit generally, in a manner which really does seem sincere.
yep, that's what I thought.
human
dan hand trash

hiddenwombat wrote:did anyone else notice at 9:08 the kinect detects them as the opposite player? how far into the song was that? who is the true winner of that DvP?
Lol plus, if you watch Phil in the 2 dances he won, he got really lucky as for some of the gestures he didn't do what was on screen at all and still got perfect, whereas Dan was replicating the gestures better but scoring less. Those games are just awful like that though hahaha.
somelikeitpink
living flop

chloek88 wrote:alright i hate to be That Guy who starts another hickeygate but....is there not blatently a hickey on phil's neck?
here are some more examples: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

i can see no other explanation. i looked through tons of pictures/gifs of that side of phil's neck to see if it's something like the red patch that dan gets on his cheek from exertion/embarrassment but...nothing. it's not some shadow that's always there. here are some random pics/gifs of that side of his neck. and it's so clear! i'm surprised no one else has pointed it out.
huh...I'm sort of loving this. Tbh even if not.. idk.. it doesn't look like a shadow to me? loving the conspiracy

I'm genuinely wondering how long they will keep this up with all the games. When did they even film all of that? I know phil said they "weren't busy" the last few days but thats not really true is it? They had Berlin and then they had Stockholm... I wonder if we will get a Dan solo game now that Dan is home alone. Or maybe that will be time for PINOF bloopers?
palomeheart
dank meme

I didn't read any of Dan's actions in this video as indicative of a less competitive nature than we usually assume. I'm way too competitive for my own good and I recognized a lot of my own habits in this vid. His realization in the third song that Phil has more points than him and his reaction ('I need to stop messing around or I'm going to lose') said to me he assumed he was going to win (which also seems like a good indication that Phil will win DvP). Throughout the video, but especially after Phil won his two songs, he made a lot of comments about how the scanner was so bad at reading them and they should have been getting more points. He gave the benefit of the doubt to both of them, but to me that sounded like writing off the results because of the excuse (whether it was valid or not) that the game couldn't accurately track their movements. For me at least, it's a lot easier to not care about losing if I know the point system is biased or unreliable.

The award show comment could very easily be specific to award shows/other similar competitions, but it also sounded very familiar to me as someone who hates their own competitiveness. I often opt out of playing games with friends/acquaintances if I'm not in a great mood to begin with or I don't really trust the people I'm playing with. Most of the time I'd be much happier watching my friends and enjoying the show they put on by being way too competitive. This is probably just me projecting too much of my own feelings/habits onto Dan, but it all felt so familiar, so I'm not necessarily writing Dan off as cured of his competitiveness.

And in terms of him being happy for Phil winning, we have ample evidence that they struggle with switching back and forth between supporting each other and getting competitive when playing games against each other. The festive flash games from last year come to mind when they kept giving each other tips and then remembering they were meant to be competing. Also Dan was probably genuinely happy just because Phil is so far behind and it's kinda sad. I'm one of the most competitive people I know, but I'll still root for an underdog competing against me. Plus they've been friends for over 7 years now, I have to think they've figured out how to get competitive while playing games and then shaking it offfairly soon afterwards so it doesn't negatively affect their friendship.

Just missed my train stop cuz I was too into writing this post, so I've got to get off at the next stop and turn around. Oops!
it's a useful thing
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

palomeheart wrote: And in terms of him being happy for Phil winning, we have ample evidence that they struggle with switching back and forth between supporting each other and getting competitive when playing games against each other. The festive flash games from last year come to mind when they kept giving each other tips and then remembering they were meant to be competing. Also Dan was probably genuinely happy just because Phil is so far behind and it's kinda sad. I'm one of the most competitive people I know, but I'll still root for an underdog competing against me. Plus they've been friends for over 7 years now, I have to think they've figured out how to get competitive while playing games and then shaking it offfairly soon afterwards so it doesn't negatively affect their friendship.
I agree with your whole post but for the sake of brevity I'm only quoting this part - I agree especially with the fact that they've figured out how to get competitive then shake it off.

It also makes me think of Dan's livestream story about them playing Mario Kart, how they usually work together to beat everyone else. The us vs. them might be a tactic they use a lot in game playing to circumvent competitive tantrums (from either of them, since I think Phil can be a stubborn little shit who doesn't like to admit defeat, too). It also kind of explains why they default to helping each other.

(And in that livestream story Dan seemed so affronted when Phil did want to make it a competition, still adorable to me.)
DryCereal
koi pond

Seriously, these two need to knock it the hell off uploading all kinds of stuff when I'm busy IRL-ing. :x (I forgot the OH cancelled his broadband/wifi connection at his place, since he's spent barely any time there this year. Whoops. Yay for hotel wifi now though!)

DAPGOOSE LA... there were a few fun moments, but overall, they seemed to be enjoying it less than the London show - which meant I enjoyed it less - and the crowd noise was horrendous. (peeps that were there in person: how's that tinnitus treating you?!) Maybe that's the reason for the delay in uploading it, ir they were trying and failing to "fix" the audio (and failing).
Explains Dan's strained voice though. I'd be seriously unimpressed if I'd been in their shoes. - Hence the conversation talking around it in the joint LS the other week... :sideeye:

Dan is DEFINITELY. NOT. GOING. TO. THE. WEDDING. :roll: Sure, okay Phil. I did enjoy the LS. He had a lot to talk about, which helps. :thumb: ("Tabo" tho. Stop immediately Philip.)
They're still "totally legally acquiring" TV shows (Lion Guard!) on occasion though. :lol: Don't tell Disney! ;)

The video... Definitely my least fave upload of Gaymingmas so far. Fite me. Am I the only one who noticed Phil doing his uncomfortable hands-flipped-round-in-pockets thing?
Dan's choice of wearing such a baggy top (still think it looks like half-arsed Assassin's Creed cosplay) seems like a dumb choice for a motion-sensing game. And dark pants for both of them in front of a dark sofa. Like... c'mon guys. :roll:
I don't know. The whole thing seemed awkward somehow. And yes, in the final round kinect switched them. I suppose you could look at the performance graph on the results page and see if there's a noticeable difference when the switch happened...
somelikeitpink wrote:
chloek88 wrote:alright i hate to be That Guy who starts another hickeygate but....is there not blatently a hickey on phil's neck?
here are some more examples: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

i can see no other explanation. i looked through tons of pictures/gifs of that side of phil's neck to see if it's something like the red patch that dan gets on his cheek from exertion/embarrassment but...nothing. it's not some shadow that's always there. here are some random pics/gifs of that side of his neck. and it's so clear! i'm surprised no one else has pointed it out.
huh...I'm sort of loving this. Tbh even if not.. idk.. it doesn't look like a shadow to me? loving the conspiracy
Looks like razor burn/shaving irritation to me, but ehhhhh.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
pearshaped34
morning quiff

hiddenwombat wrote:did anyone else notice at 9:08 the kinect detects them as the opposite player? how far into the song was that? who is the true winner of that DvP?
That seemed to be the very end of the song and by the scores appearing on screen when they were playing as as each other that didn't seem to have much of an affect on the overall winner of that round as they were getting similar grades. However as human said Phil got lucky because he was getting perfect when he wasn't doing anything similar to what the person on screen did. That being said it was nice to get to see Phil win one again so I'll take it.

Regarding Dan's competitiveness while that quote about the BONCAS is nice I still think when it comes to video games Dan does like to win and that's not something he puts on for the cameras or a part of his persona.
Even when telling us how he prefers him and Phil work as a team when they play Mario Cart (which makes him sound uncompetitive with Phil) he also said this means he comes 1st and Phil comes 2nd so even with his harmonious lets be a team attitude he is still always the real winner.
Smoosh Anthony also said when playing Mario Cart with him Dan won every time. I mean I get Dan is just really good at Mario Cart but even so I can't help but feel that if you play the same game against the same person multiple times in a row and they don't let up to give someone else a chance then that person is probably quite competitive.