Dan & Phil part 32...and what a thicc thread it was

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
SquishPhan
capita£ester
Pronouns: she/her

Dan hasn’t forgotten his origin story yet. :lol:
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

Well, that went from 0 to stabby real quick. :lol: The game seems really boring imo and even though I did like the video, I wouldn't say I'm super interested in seeing them play more of it.
melon lord
morning quiff

That was hilarious I want more yandere simulator nonsense with the boys :lol:

I don't think Yandere Simulator is line crossing or offensive but then again Yandere itself is such an extreme caricature of unhealthy behaviour that I can't realistically apply it to any person to consider it problematic. It kind of goes into its own meta spiral where the concept of yandere is creepy and unhealthy but yandere by now has become a trope on its own, so yandere simulator is nearly a satirical portrayal of an already extreme personality trope

On the other hand I would much like to discuss in general the origins and causes of such behaviours that fed into the yandere stereotype (´・ω・`) because that is so much more interesting that discussing yandere as a vague topic

I do understand though that the game itself is very bare boned so there are limitations but if it ever got properly released then I would be excited to see them retry

eevee
emo goose

So in one video we got Phil telling Dan not to make the senpai character look like him because what the fuck else would Dan do by default and we also got Dan making questionable mouth-and-hand gestures that look a lot like oral. And completely indifferent reactions to female panties. I enjoyed it, yup.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

SquishPhan wrote:New vid
DAN: I HAVE SENPAI ON MY GUMS.

Yes you do, Dan. Yes you do.

I laughed way too hard at this.
MoonPride
moon room

The problem with this game is that it's not even a finished thing and still in beta mode. So I would of rather they had waited for the full version to come out before playing it. That being said I enjoyed the bants but preferred yesterdays video.
corn flakes
moon room

Artdefines06 wrote:I've only watched the into, but I had to stop to say I agree with them. I was sorta proud that they refused to play this game, because it is problematic and line-crossy, but it is their channel, and I guess there arent 4 billion other amazing games out there they could be playing instead....(oh wait, there are).

Anyway, I'm just here for the SIMPSONS REFERENCE Phil makes. Thank you for making my day.
Yes, I've watched all the video because from the comments it didn't seem to go to deep but I'm not into another one of this videos. Imo games like this cross a pretty strong line and extreme possesive behaviour/stalking in light also of what I hear everyday in the news :?

Having said that, I love how this nerds always manage to focus on the small detail, deviate from the actual plot and make games funny.
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I'm conflicted with this video.

On one hand, I loved it because I love them doing mildly ~inappropriate things and Dan reading those last few text messages was EVERYTHING to me. Especially "I hope you make her suffer!" :lol:

I enjoyed how insane they went with the stabbing out of nowhere and tbh the game is pretty aesthetically pleasing.

On the other hand, both the biking and the running around the whole school part seemed like a massively boring waste of time I'd have rather spent watching them.... stab more people.

So, solid 6/10 for this gamingmas video from me.
Skeletorsrighthand
living flop

rizzo wrote:I'm conflicted with this video.

On one hand, I loved it because I love them doing mildly ~inappropriate things and Dan reading those last few text messages was EVERYTHING to me. Especially "I hope you make her suffer!" :lol:

I enjoyed how insane they went with the stabbing out of nowhere and tbh the game is pretty aesthetically pleasing.

On the other hand, both the biking and the running around the whole school part seemed like a massively boring waste of time I'd have rather spent watching them.... stab more people.

So, solid 6/10 for this gamingmas video from me.
Agreed
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

rizzo wrote:On the other hand, both the biking and the running around the whole school part seemed like a massively boring waste of time I'd have rather spent watching them.... stab more people.
I fully believe Dan's style of playing a video game is 'explore everything' - which can be boring to watch for someone who knows what they are exploring doesn't add to the storyline. But Dan doesn't know that, as he's playing.

I actually liked how Dan unapologetically said that they hadn't played it before and people were going to complain but they could deal with it, because I think that is the catch-22 that makes him unenthused for the videos sometimes. The best videos are the fresh experience ones so he doesn't want to play it ahead of time but if he doesn't play it ahead of time his gameplay gets nitpicked by people who have seen 100 other youtubers play it and think he doesn't measure up, or wish he'd skipped certain things that they know won't lead anywhere.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

alittledizzy wrote:
rizzo wrote:On the other hand, both the biking and the running around the whole school part seemed like a massively boring waste of time I'd have rather spent watching them.... stab more people.
I fully believe Dan's style of playing a video game is 'explore everything' - which can be boring to watch for someone who knows what they are exploring doesn't add to the storyline. But Dan doesn't know that, as he's playing.

I actually liked how Dan unapologetically said that they hadn't played it before and people were going to complain but they could deal with it, because I think that is the catch-22 that makes him unenthused for the videos sometimes. The best videos are the fresh experience ones so he doesn't want to play it ahead of time but if he doesn't play it ahead of time his gameplay gets nitpicked by people who have seen 100 other youtubers play it and think he doesn't measure up, or wish he'd skipped certain things that they know won't lead anywhere.
I can totally respect them being honest with us and playing a new game realistically. (Frankly, it's refreshing to watch them get a bit lost and some of the cutest Phan moments come out of it.) But I guess, what this comes down to is my personal preference: I really want to see them play games that they know and love.

One of my favorite DAPG videos is Halo. They're both clearly experienced in it and are just out to bust each other's chops. New games are fun and flash games can be adorable (I mean... we all love the Impossible Quiz), but I want another proper DvP with a game they know or a Portal that's not handicapped or a Mario Kart Balloon Battle. There's 2 of them on this gaming channel and we both know they're gamers, so why haven't we seen as much shit-talking one-on-ones? Or even just a play-through of a part of Fallout or something. I'm not necessarily complaining here. Just desperate for a bit of variety.

All I want for Gamingmas is (Halo) twooooooo~ :dapg:
anathema
morning quiff

The Lion Guard was cute, but ugh, gorilla discourse? Shoot me now :roll:

The gaming video was boring, imo. I'm not that mad about that though, with the amount of videos we're getting (or at least, should be getting) it's to be expected some won't be as entertaining as others. I just hope they don't play it again, lol.
eevee wrote:So in one video we got Phil telling Dan not to make the senpai character look like him because what the fuck else would Dan do by default and we also got Dan making questionable mouth-and-hand gestures that look a lot like oral. And completely indifferent reactions to female panties. I enjoyed it, yup.
Wait, when was this?
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
Reizam
butt chair

anathema wrote:
eevee wrote:So in one video we got Phil telling Dan not to make the senpai character look like him because what the fuck else would Dan do by default and we also got Dan making questionable mouth-and-hand gestures that look a lot like oral. And completely indifferent reactions to female panties. I enjoyed it, yup.
Wait, when was this?
I think miming brushing the teeth with Senpai's toothbrush?

I couldn't stop laughing at them attempting damage control after the massacre by dragging that body around and making an even bigger mess :lol: the way this ended up is so Dan-and-Phil, this is why I love these two
koalaselfie
living flop

Hardly any video could top yesterday's 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?' domestic extravaganza, lbr, and I definitely didn't enjoy this new gaming vid half as much...it felt over-long, and the senpai was barely even part of the gameplay, I mean boiz wyd. I liked the start though, with the character creation...(though I'm a Sims fan and that part just gave me faint DAPG Sims #1 vibes).
More stabbings, please and ty (only slightly joking). The last few minutes were incredible :lol: And the jump scare at the start too!
:cherryblossom: ~when ur sad, remember the deppy japan trip of 2015~ :cherryblossom:
dollicious
spork

anathema wrote:
Wait, when was this?
i think eevee meant the moment @ 9.33 here is a nice gif for you :lol:.
(gif source)

also i didn’t understand when dan said “wow, i see a lot of tumblr posts like this” @ 5.44 who was he shading? jealous fangirls?
do you like d&p?
blueapple_x
flower crown

dollicious wrote: also i didn’t understand when dan said “wow, i see a lot of tumblr posts like this” @ 5.44 who was he shading? jealous fangirls?
Yeah that was an interesting moment lol. The thing that he seemingly reacted to was "She could never appreciate him the way I do. She doesn't deserve him. He belongs to me alone"

My mind immediately thought he was just trying to be creepy by pretending/implying (by giving that look) he relates to those kinds of tumblr posts.

It could also be referencing/joking about him stalking their audience's blogs in general and that's the kind of stuff he sees? It may not necessarily be related to posts about D+P.
tylerrjoseph
butt chair

day two and they're still following through w the daily uploads lol
i personally thought the game was boring which sucks because i really wanted to play it and thought it would be more interesting. it was so f u n n y how phil said not to make it look like him because of course dan would. also my main thought during the whole video was "2009 dan was SUCH a yandere for phil" :gg:
--> platform 7, manchester picadilly station
victorycafe
squish

During the girl's speech when she said that she pretends to be normal but feels nothing, etc, and Dan was like "same" - you CANNOT tell me he didn't think "yep still me" when she said everything changed when she met 'him.'

I agree with everyone who says that it would be hard for a video to top yesterday's. I actually liked the moments of bike riding, etc - cute little genuine-feeling moments.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I'm also in the 6/10 crowd, I'd like to see them play it again with a plan that they see through rather than abandoning it suddenly. The build up was so slow for a quick predictable end. I'm intrigued to play it myself if you can take it in different directions with being nice, learning how to stalk and kill better (yay :roll: ) rather than just go all out stabby.

They were funny, though. Dan reading the texts in his Jessica voice, choosing the black knickers and then running around flashing the white ones without a care. Jumping up the stairs on the bike was kinda impressive and I remember the stickers Phil mentioned saying things like "Rad", they were in funky fonts and colours. He looks good in that jacket too, and Dan in the wig with his olive skin compared to Phil looking ill in it. I was mostly impressed that they actually did another video on the second day, I wonder how long a streak they can keep up.
opendoor
rainbow nerd

They are having such a good run recently! Literally since the Halloween baking vid (post baking video universe indeed). I agree with what everyone's saying about them being a lot more relaxed on camera it's awesome.
I liked this last video a lot, I've seen it twice already. Somehow I've never heard of the game so I didn't know what to expect. Was NOT expecting things to escalate so rapidly since it was supposed to last five days. So if we're doing ratings I'd go with an 8 (what can I say I'm easy).
The new trend of Phil making Dan cringe by being down-w-the-kids is excellent, he's such a little shit.
I liked the bit with the senpai shrine when Dan was being creepy and Phil was just like STOp, stop.
Dan didn't really interact with the "I want to go back to Japan" statements, but I really hope they do.
I loved Phil's little "I knew you were going to say that" and "I knew you were going to go for the black pants" comments. Very cute.
(Also I'm so here for Phil's Brexit shade in the Millionaire vid I was just sitting there like :o he went there.)
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
Amelie
delia smith

I am already loving gaymas or whatever its called . December is always busy and stressful, so it will be wonderful to have a new deppy video everyday (yes, I'm staying that hopeful. I believe in them ). This post-baking universe is great so far.

I actually really enjoyed Yandere Simulator. I was especially laughing at the end as they are generally are the kinds of people who play through games slowly and nicely, and it was hilarious to me watching them screw it all up so quickly. I'm going with a 7/10.

[offtopic]Apparently Vidcon is coming to Australia next year and I can't wait to see what Youtubers are actually going to come here. Also very excited for Australian Dan & Phil shop. Finally I can buy things without paying the value in shipping [/offtopic]
hopefulemm
squish

I looked through the video's comments a little bit (not something I do usually, I promise) and there were so many people telling them to make it into a series. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem like it would be a very interesting series; then again, the game is pretty outside the range of my interests.

I'm really not sure how to feel about this video, because the bants were pretty good, I was amused, and I really enjoyed them futzing around on the bike, but the game itself was just... If it weren't Dan and Phil playing and going left field with it, as they do, it's not a thing I would have chosen to spend my free time watching.

That said, because this was such a lackluster comment, here are some somewhat more positive comments (which I spent a couple hours on; I don't know how anyone does this regularly! Color me very impressed):
I'm glad their postman didn't keep that cosplay jacket for Halloween! :lol: I've never watched Attack on Titan, so I don't know how it's supposed to look, but for some reason I was expecting it to be the length of a normal jacket and not in the style of a cropped cardigan.

"a perv who murders people", aka the point where I tapped my chin and acknowledged to myself that I was definitely not going to be among the target audience for this video. (I can at least say I was not traumatised or horrified, so there's that.) I appreciate that they included the warnings, though.

Phil: She looks quite nice and happy.
Me: Phil, she looks bored and apathetic af. What are you talking about?

Their jumpscare reactions made me laugh.

Definitely angel fluff, guys; he's the dreamy senpai. Also, he's a teenager; why do they offer such creepy facial hair?

(One thing I really love about anime/manga is the creativity of the school uniforms. They're so inspired and gorgeous. I mean, lbr the guys' are almost always rather plain, but the girls' uniforms--yes! I really appreciate that.)

+1 point for Phil talking about something from his past. :thumb:

I wouldn't have thought of it, but those uniforms do look very 'Three Cheers' MCR!

Dan: You stalk that senpai, that's what life is all about.
Me: Speaking from experience.

Cheeky stab banter is cute.

I don't use emojis when I text, but I agree with Deppy here; visually this chat is very boring to look at. I wouldn't mind a little monkey emoji to spice it up.

+1 point for Phil talking about something from his past again. Why did no one want to kiss young Phil on the hill behind his school? smh (Of course, I say that, but if I had gone to his school and been in his year, I would not have because I wasn't interested in the idea of kissing anyone.)

The bit about choosing panties and every single panty shot are strong reminders of one or two of the reasons why I was glad to leave the world of the otaku behind, tbh.

Dan's valley girl voice is among my favorite things. (But then, my love for the valley girl voice is a long-lived guilty pleasure from childhood. I used to be quite good at it, actually. A guy friend I had in high school would have entire conversations with me speaking valley girl. It was bliss. ... And that's one reason why I was a weird kid.)

Did Phil just say "wear metal panties if you want"? Phil, you are taking me to strange mental places, and in this case I'm not sure how I feel about it.

If I'm remembering correctly, isn't there a custom in Japan that has to do with boys giving girls the top button of their blazer at, like, the end of the school year or something? Oh, wait, just checked--it's the second button from the top that boys give to girls as a way to confess their feelings. I wonder if that button in her shrine is the second from the top, and she somehow managed to steal it.

Phil: On the gums, of all the things you could have said.
Me: Same.

Apple part: Always for Phil reining Dan in, tbh. Thank you, Phil, for this important service.

The bit about senpai's mom and the potential cost of that bento box is tbh my kind of thought process in a nutshell. But I'm also wondering how in the hell 1) yandere girl got senpai's bento box in the first place (if I had something nice like that I would make sure it was somewhere secure before I'd walk away from it) and 2) how in the world she got his toothbrush. Did she break into his house? I mean, I personally would not be carting my toothbrush out and about with me. What levels of creep are we implying here?

Loved Dan's very vivid illustration of what likely happened with that can.

Dan: You can't climb into the bed, so this game is less creepy than Pokemon Moon and Sun where you can just climb into everybody's bed.
Phil: That's so weird. "I can still sniff the scent as if it was there."
---This is so true! For anybody not playing the game, there's a part where, if you're the type to investigate every single corner of the game like me, there's a room with two little kids (think they're little girls; it was a while ago, I can't remember for sure) who are very visibly younger than your character. Your character is 11, so these are young kids (probably preschool age, considering the preschool battlers you encounter have avatars about the same size. They've got bunk beds, and you can climb into the top one (like I did by accident) and your character will lay there for a moment and contemplate the scent of the sheets. Like, there are some dodgy moments with beds probably belonging to characters who are some questionable amount of years older than your character, if they aren't the same age, but that was the point where I sort of stopped and thought, 'This is really, really creepy.'

I love the bike segment. (Though I think this part makes it really obvious that the game's still a work in progress because of the uniform. The town is really creepy, being so empty. Is everyone in school? Even the parents? There are no cars anywhere. It's just eerie.)

I'm amused at the "Longest wheelie" record at the bottom; I thought this game was all about the senpai and keeping the rival away from him, but I'm suddenly having some minor flashbacks to old school Tony Hawk skater games. (I loved those, and now I'm sad because we don't have any of them.)

Seriously, I love this bike segment. IMO, it's the best part. Love the riding right into the water, backing up the bike, this part while trying to get out of the yard--

Dan: You can't catch me, I'm the--*stopped by the little wall, twice*--oops.

--the bit with the stairs, crashing into the tree... Best part. If I watch this video again, it would be for the biking segment.

I love how the gaming club poster doesn't even get a place on the board. It's my favorite of the bunch, I think.

The blonde in the girl group is pinging some kind of gyaru radar in me, and I don't know why. I wish I could actually see her face to know if said gyaru-radar is correct.

(Another one of the things I've always loved about anime/manga is the wide variety of hair color and the crazy, impossible, wonderful hairstyles, especially on girls. I wish real life genetics involved melanin that wasn't in the spectrum of yellow/red/brown/black. Hair dye just doesn't match up when you know your roots are going to grow back in your natural color.)

Dan: I just wanted to tell you that behind this person's giant blue head, you look great.
Me: Same, but wrt the potential gyaru-girl.

Their derpy moment at 16:55. These are always such small, nothing moments in videos, but they're still cute and amusing every time.

Again, I'm going to reiterate how tedious I find the panty shots happening here.

Why are there so few students at this school?

Phil: What did you do???
Dan: We got our reputation back. Everything is fine.
Me: Your priorities are amusing, but you left dead bodies right out in the hall and shut yourself in the scene of the crime with the knife still in your hand.

Me: Wyd dragging the bodies into the hall??? What purpose does that even serve??? It'll lead everyone right to you!

Teacher: Stop right now! *tackles kid*
Me: Wow. Bamf!teacher alert. Taking down a kid, who just killed a bunch of other kids two seconds ago, like it's nothing, no fear whatsoever. I would be shaking in my boots. Wowee. (Clearly she's an action hero in her spare time. I would watch the hell out of secret-action-hero!teacher simulator.)

Their faces immediately after being apprehended by bamf!teacher are amazing tbh.

Phil: I said we should find the mop.
Me: The teacher was right there; clearly you would not have had time to mop even if you'd had one.

"Okay, so if our initial plan was to be really nice to everybody, learn psychology, and impress senpai by being a lovely person, I think going to the occult club and picking up a ritual knife, stabbing ten people, and then getting tackled by a teacher, probably isn't the best way we would could have done that plan."

Why am I quoting this? I don't know. It's a good, concise summary of events, and for some reason I find that pleasing. Thank you, Dan.
In conclusion, I feel like this might have been a better video, not necessarily as part of spooky week because it wasn't spooky, but preceding spooky week. Nothing about it made me think "December", or "festive", or even "happy"--though, I suppose the argument could be made that for all those people in the Youtube comments begging them to play it, it was a gift of a sort.

I'm feeling optimistic that Phil will manage to keep his word that we'll see gaming videos throughout the month. I won't hold out for one every day, but someone else in a previous comment predicted 15, and I would certainly be happy with that.
avatar by mushroomtale-fanart @ tumblr
walking talking work in progress
hopefulemm
squish

hopefulemm wrote:or even "happy"
Why am I posting twice in a row, I'm so sorry; it's like 2 in the morning. :facepalm: I wrote that entire post, skimmed through it, posted it and logged out, and then came back ten minutes later and read it again, and realized this is confusing, and maybe offensive, phrasing.

I just wanted to clarify, but had passed the time limit to edit the post when I logged in again: Obvs plenty of people were happy about it; I just meant, the tone of the holidays vs the tone of the game, it's kind of oddly placed. The vibe of it, to me, feels more pre-Halloween than pre-winter holiday.

I am so sorry. :gg:

delet
avatar by mushroomtale-fanart @ tumblr
walking talking work in progress
hiddenwombat
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

why the hell did dan relate the uniforms to the helena music video when i'm not okay was a thing that was actually set in a school
and so was this photoshoot

can you believe my chemical romance inspired yandere simulator
uglyamerican
woodland creature

Amelie wrote:
[offtopic]Apparently Vidcon is coming to Australia next year and I can't wait to see what Youtubers are actually going to come here. Also very excited for Australian Dan & Phil shop. Finally I can buy things without paying the value in shipping [/offtopic]
I'm curious how much shipping is to Australia... The US shop shipping charges are comparatively steep to addresses within the US, so I'm not sure if there is going to be a lot of savings. (I think the fulfillers in the US are hiding a "handling" fee in the shipping charges...) Royal Mail to my address in the US is roughly the same as shipping charges from the US store. And you would think the turnaround time would be quicker as well, but it's not necessarily the case. Shipping time from Florida to my house should be 2 days, but it takes about a week for things to show up, about the same time as it would be from the UK. But again, AUS is a bit farther from the UK than the east coast of the US, so there's that