Dan & Phil part 32...and what a thicc thread it was

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Kathrynxjane
janice from the shop
Pronouns: She/Her

Well that might have been on of the best gaming videos they have ever done.
It was natural and so funny. I loved WWTBAM anyway so I felt so invested.
"Child" made me laugh.

Need to rewatch now.
corn flakes wrote:
[offtopic]I love that galaxy backpack, now if it fits a large laptop this is my excuse to buy it.[/offtopic]
I have the pixel people one and have carried my 15" laptop around everyday for 6 months. It was a great buy!
"You can't just pull it out and put it in without a plan." Dan Howell 2015
MoonPride
moon room

I really enjoyed this video, it felt so relaxed and natural Like how they would play if they had no camera in front of them.

Phil's mum answering with 'child' was my favourite part lol. Also felt triggered by Lisa lol!

If Dan was really this fed up with the gaming channel (and was just 'mates' with Phil) then I can't see him committing to this gamingmas. He's doing it because he loves Phil and wants him to be happy.

I also hope we get a solo video of them playing a game over this festive month, I'm down for watching Phil play Shelter 2.
kuensukki
janice from the shop

plushiegate: no one can convince me that Phils scared ass face in the liveshows was fake NO ONE!!

Phil's liveshow was all kinds of beautiful even though it was all spon. Also he actually built a little fire for us and put a jumper- we dont appreciate this angel enough

The video that ended me:

I have put my favorite moments below with some commentary and shiz
As before Ill start with a disclaimer: Phan levels are through the fucking roof

First off Phils family is so precious and reminds me alot of the games I play with my siblings and mom when I visit home

In the beginning they both synchronize and its so creepy

HowellLester- marriage last name #confirmed cries because Dan Lester seems more right

PHIL FUCKING DABS- he's a lil shit that wants to tramautize Dan and the internet by being a wannabee fuck boy-phil calm your thicc ass down

Something I notice is whenever they brainstorm they automatically lean into each other- (see 4:05 and bump shoulders- its like watching a metal and a magnet

The hand holding part was cut off and made me think about what they did in that jump cut- they they do a thumb war- did Dan give Phil a little hand kiss

"When we were on the radio" wow Dan just throw a cactus at me (it would hurt less)

Dan is eerily calm and Phil is a precious ball of squealing stress. Now I want to be a nerd and measure their cortisol levels to see how high they get

wow phil shades brexit so casually and no one mentions it

The spon part was interesting. Dan acted unaware of the tickets not selling out which I found strange. It seems like Phil is the only one actively working on planning things while Dan just goes with the flow. It might be that Martyn and Phil both work together on the tatinof end

the "you idiot part"- okay im going to need a chair and an inhaler pronto

Phil being a nature boy and knowing it and cheek bumping dan *clutches sides of chair*

Dan being a mythology nerd- bless his nerdy heart.

The bro moment was all kinds of beautiful because Phil didnt know what to do and then how Dan responded and how sarcastic they sounded.

another weird synchronized mind meld- "marine or mountains?" And Dan's shocked little smile on why they're such husbands i ask myself this everyday day bro

When they mention phone a friend my threesome PJ feels tingled but alas we got something better:

Okay first off, its important to note that Dan was the one who suggested calling Phils mum. And he assumed she would know this which made me enter into all kinds of trashcans because it means he knows her well enough to make that assumption

*dan proceeds to scoot onto Phils lap to listen in*

"Child"- okay the fact that he tweeted about it says alot but rewatch Dans face when she says that- he glances up at Phil then his eyes get crinkly fond at their interactions

"Hi, by the way, how are you?"- persona voice flies out the window and southern belle perfect son-in-law soft Dan takes his place

"Are you a 100%" wow dan doubting momma lester :sideeye: (just kidding its jokey and comfortable)

" Stay on the line" *kuen falls of chair*- okay but this meant so much to me. The fact that he respects her enough to make sure she knows the outcome of this and is willing to include her into their online lives is so BIG and also so considerate. He also proceeds to fill he rin on what's happening while theyre waiting for the results and his reaction to her "i cant breathe" like his full dimples and fond eyes. And when saying goodbye he says it with such sincerity.

Some more family analysis because I love this as much as oqua I love phils mum because she's exactly like my mum. There are moms and then there are women meant to be mums. Those who are caring, compassionate, loving, accepting and always trying to make you feel like the best in the world. They let you know you are loved and support you in every step you take, trusting your passion and judgement. That's the distinction I draw with the mums. Dan's is an average mom, caring yet a bit aloof and willing to let Dan be independent, while Phil's mom is the overbearing loving type that is a mum to everyone. That how I see Mrs.Lester and why Dan truly looks so comfortable and at ease with her. I think from the start she took him in as her own and now cares for him as much as she does with Phil, and Dan being the needy person he is basked in it. That's where the attachment grew and now he's basically family. Martyn considers him and brother and he found acceptance and love in this quirky little family. A family that is built on close bonds, love, and overall acceptance for any type of person. I can see Dan calling her up at random times for advice or them sitting on the couch and facetiming her and on mothers day sending a joint card and flowers to her door.

[offtopic]Fun fact: my mom officially adopted my best friend last year. She also had an aloof mother and grew up with my mom. My mom loves her as much as the rest of us and makes sure she's always as much loved as we are so I really relate to this. She even sent up all packages when we went to uni and made sure we all got the same things:love2: [/offtopic]
frkin-zazzed
drama llama
Pronouns: they/them

I loved this video so much, despite almost falling asleep during it (didn't mind though, seeing as it wasn't their fault - this couldn't be anything to do with the algorithm changes could it? It seems to have only just started affecting deppy). I used to play this game with my family at christmas too so it gave me all kinds of nostalgia, though we never managed to get quite so far through it (I was like seven, what can I say?)

Highlights definitely include the call to phil's mum -she's so unfazed by it all and the way Dan spoke to her made my little heart melt a little. Phil's mum always seems so warm and nice, it really does feel like she sees Dan as a proper member of the Lester family now. Other highlights are Dan bragging about his A in geography (really kind of useless one you get to degree level, Daniel, most of that is v inaccurate) seeing as I always enjoy geography talk especially from my faves, and phil getting excited over the animal questions.

Overall this felt so much like an old 2014 gaming video, it made me so nostalgic for the good old days when gaming videos didn't feel like a second-rate peice of deppy content. Here's hoping the rest of gaming-mas is just as good!
majitzu
angel bean

Awww look at that we are all lil trash and this video broke us in the best possible way

It's 3am, I just woke up and decided to read idb xD back to sleep now
starwillow
dank meme

kuensukki wrote:Okay first off, its important to note that Dan was the one who suggested calling Phils mum. And he assumed she would know this which made me enter into all kinds of trashcans because it means he knows her well enough to make that assumption

*dan proceeds to scoot onto Phils lap to listen in*

"Child"- okay the fact that he tweeted about it says alot but rewatch Dans face when she says that- he glances up at Phil then his eyes get crinkly fond at their interactions

"Hi, by the way, how are you?"- persona voice flies out the window and southern belle perfect son-in-law soft Dan takes his place

"Are you a 100%" wow dan doubting momma lester :sideeye: (just kidding its jokey and comfortable)

" Stay on the line" *kuen falls of chair*- okay but this meant so much to me. The fact that he respects her enough to make sure she knows the outcome of this and is willing to include her into their online lives is so BIG and also so considerate. He also proceeds to fill he rin on what's happening while theyre waiting for the results and his reaction to her "i cant breathe" like his full dimples and fond eyes. And when saying goodbye he says it with such sincerity.

Some more family analysis because I love this as much as oqua I love phils mum because she's exactly like my mum. There are moms and then there are women meant to be mums. Those who are caring, compassionate, loving, accepting and always trying to make you feel like the best in the world. They let you know you are loved and support you in every step you take, trusting your passion and judgement. That's the distinction I draw with the mums. Dan's is an average mom, caring yet a bit aloof and willing to let Dan be independent, while Phil's mom is the overbearing loving type that is a mum to everyone. That how I see Mrs.Lester and why Dan truly looks so comfortable and at ease with her. I think from the start she took him in as her own and now cares for him as much as she does with Phil, and Dan being the needy person he is basked in it. That's where the attachment grew and now he's basically family. Martyn considers him and brother and he found acceptance and love in this quirky little family. A family that is built on close bonds, love, and overall acceptance for any type of person. I can see Dan calling her up at random times for advice or them sitting on the couch and facetiming her and on mothers day sending a joint card and flowers to her door.

[offtopic]Fun fact: my mom officially adopted my best friend last year. She also had an aloof mother and grew up with my mom. My mom loves her as much as the rest of us and makes sure she's always as much loved as we are so I really relate to this. She even sent up all packages when we went to uni and made sure we all got the same things:love2: [/offtopic]
:sobs: Your mom sounds wonderful. I'm on my way over to also get adopted! I love Dan interacting with Kath, and Phil's special relationship with her. I appreciate everyone's timestamps! My fave part is at about 8:45, when Phil says, "8 smackers," and Dan genuinely laughs and tells him "Stop" so softly.
papierklemmen
flower crown

What an absolutely adorable video!!!
It reminded me a lot of their 2014 relaxed gaming vids, which were the reason I subscribed to them in the first place. I love it!

I love when youtubers call their family in their videos, LOL. Was anyone else curious how Dan would address Phil's mom and disappointed that Dan never delivered? Just me? I was wondering if he would call her "Kath" or "Phil's mom" or "Mrs. Lester"... But he just omitted it altogether. Welp. :lol:

The mocking of the bro-culture was great. I know it's a natural way to behave for a lot of guys, but I can't help but roll my eyes when I see this shit happening in front of me. :roll: :lol: Although to be fair I don't see it a lot with Brits, thankfully. My country's machismo guys tho... :roll:

I'm really looking forward to the flood of gaming videos, I hope they manage to upload at least once a week. I'm still salty we didn't get Undertale in November as promised, WHAT'S TAKING SO LONG. :lol: We don't need it to be a week, just upload them sporadically!!! I just hope the reason for stalling is not the upcoming guards "twist" :roll: , although I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to come up with a way to make it less awkward (watch them cut out this part and start #undertalegate).
MoonPride
moon room

Where is the part that it looks like they are going to hold hands? I watched it back and can't find it.
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: she/her

manged wrote:Image
Thank you Deppy deities for this video. Please let it be a sign of things to come in the upcoming Gamingmas videos and future Dan and Phil collabs! Sweet lord, it was everything I've been missing from the 2014 gaming videos. They were definitely coming off as what we believe to be their "real" selves/ less persona-y. There were also less jumpcuts, which amounted to more non-performed moments, and I'd say that also contributed to the relaxed vibes. Plus they're back to sitting on the couch, which is simply a more flattering angle for them so I can appreciate their faces better.

*sigh* I can't wait for this video to be analyzed to death. When they called Phil's mother. The way they poked fun at the broness in 4th-wall-breaking sort of way. All of it. Don't let me down, idb.
I'm far too tired rn to analyse but YES to all the above. yes yes yes. and i totally get what you mean with late 2014 dpg vibes. i am so pleased with this video. it was just so chill and nice and genuine. the Office looks to the camera felt like a world away. the interaction with Phil's mum was gorg, i feel like i eavesdropped on some sort of private dynamic and it's nice that they wanted that left in there.

the only nitpick i have is one that really bothered me, however - the jumpcut at 5.06 cutting out the word (i assume) "labia", and Dan (I assume) telling Phil not to say it again. NO, guys. not cool. later in the video Dan exclaims forcefully "Motherfucker!!", so I will not be sold the bullshit explanation of cutting out a neutral term for female genitalia for the purposes of keeping the channel 'clean', when Dan is an absolute bucket of filth everywhere else. fucking somebody's mother used as an insult is offensive, labia is not. watch sjw tumbleweeds on tumblr (say that 10 times fast) though, but jump down their throat for the next vaguely problematic thing they say.
i'll make up for their apparent distaste here:

LABIA LABIA LABIA
fancybum wrote:
Maya wrote:
Amiaw wrote: Edited to add: I swear there was also a moment where Phil wanted to go in for a hug...we were so close!
Also thiiiis! 13:07 - Phil is so ready for the rebranding! Come on Dan, hug your "bro"
Ok so here's where I take it too far, but as a disclaimer, I am talking about the SYMBOLISM of this moment:

13:07-09 - I don't know if Phil was actually looking for a hug there, but Dan (imo) reacts as though it's a possibility and he denies it, like there's a physical hesitation in him before he turns his head back to the game and says 'Well done', then Phil goes for a lower level of physical contact with the (almost conciliatory?) jokey fist-bump, like 'lol whoops too far, let's walk it back soz' and Dan's response (contextually, just about premature celebrating, I know leave me alone):
Okay, right. We're still not there yet. We're still not there yet.
The symbolism in those words. I just

and just another disclaimer: I don't know if they ever want to get there, but where they are now is closer than they've ever been and if right around here is where the line is, then that's cool no pressure. If they just kept being this, I'll be happy. For me and for them.
I also had this thought my first watch through, that dan interpreted phil going for a gesture and then curbed the moment (or they both did), then thought maybe I was over-reading the moment, then got confused about what else Dan could possibly have meant with his comment. interesting others here had the same thought process. I think I'm just back to being generally confused about it now?
art in avatar by lily
felucca
truth bomb

Can Dan and Phil just throw away their computer keyboard please and always be sat on the sofa with a couple of controllers in their hands, ok? Thanks.

First video I've felt like rewatching in ages, can't wait for the rest of gaymas. Child.
mermaid blood wrote: LABIA LABIA LABIA
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
mio
#relatable

All the things that have happened lately and now they are doing a whole bunch of videos leading up to christmas?? Deppy let me live :o

This video really was worth staying up for!! I love how chill and natural they seemed to be, especially Dan's soft voice throughout the video.

Don't want to repeat what others have said so just a recap of why I love the last scene/question a lot:

- them arguing about what to do and then Phil's "fine"
- genuine freaking out
- Dan biting his knee followed by "I'm gonna eat my legs" from Phil. mirroring each other much?
- Phils squished up face hiding behind the controller
- "why did you do that"
- Phil progressively leaning more into Dan bc of the tension
- 19:45 "It was a stupid thing to do I told you" - that combined with the way he said it must be the most old married couple sentence from Phil ever

In general and going a bit (I mean a lot)
I'm honestly confused as to why the sudden escalation in touching, innuendo, flirty behaviour on cam, acknowledgement of shippy stuff and plain acting like a couple lately. I mean they always gave of that vibe to a whole lot of people, hence the shipping, but if you compare what people(we) used to freak out about last year to what is normalized these days... what is going on with the world?? What is their secret agenda?
I'm almost bought on the conspiracy theory that they really want to buy a house soon and try to normalize their relationship without ever having to come out officially.

going full and adding to that theory: I think it started with that one part in the impossible quiz 2 (which was kind of a test and everybody loved it). Then the halloween baking was a kind of spontaneous midnight decision to just try and make a video without scrip, just being more natural and open, resulting in them apparently loving it and thus the beginning of the new era which is why Dan keeps stressing the "post baking universe" thing. And now they make as many videos as possible with "gamesmas" so they can further this escalation without it being to obvious (you know how you dont notice gradual changes in people if you see them every day?)

..ok I'll go back to my trashcan now bye
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
nephilimcat
woodland creature

I've never really watched "Who wants to be a Millionaire?" (the German version) until this week and suddenly Dan and Phil upload a video playing it, that's such a weird coincidence! Stuff like this happens to me a lot, isn't there also a name for it? It's kinda creepy, who is observing me?

I really love when they play older games that they already know and play themselves sometimes. It's giving me 2014 vibes, as manged and mermaid blood mentioned. Stuff like this is a lot more interesting than some of the games they play because everyone wants them to. And I felt like Dan wasn't that excited at first but then got really into it, I loved that transition. I was worried he'd be bored and make it obvious like he did in previous videos, but luckily that wasn't the case. I'm very pleased and I hope the upcoming videos will be similar. I bet we are getting at least one Dan vs. Phil, Dil, festive themed game and Undertale video

You could play a drinking game with that video: every time one of them wears one of those Christmas hats, you drink And if they both wear one at the same time, you drink twice or something. Maybe it makes more sense to do it while rewatching all the videos in a row because I don't think it happened that often in this video.
pulvis et umbra sumus
DryCereal
koi pond

Definite jumpcut for female anatomy lesson for Phil. Also lol at Dan's river knowledge(!!!) - his geography syllabus must've been as frikking USELESS as mine at school, hence why I dropped it in favour of history asap!

Speaking of school, I went to school with a certain group of six sisters (and a bunch of twins, triplets and a set of quads - they were deffo putting something in the IVF, if not the water round our way in the early 80s!!)... Not surprised in the LEAST that Phil's mum knew that without being prompted, they were, and still are, tbh quite well-known. They're "from Liverpool" like Phil is "from Manchester" though. Nope!

Dan knew Didsbury was in Manchester too.. hence no hug for Philly maybe? :platonic:

Still giggling over a video called "WILL DAN AND PHIL BE MILLIONAIRES?!" starting with 1:30 of merch spon.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
starwillow
dank meme

felucca wrote:
mermaid blood wrote: LABIA LABIA LABIA
Next thread name?
human
dan hand trash

IckleMissMayhem wrote:Definite jumpcut for female anatomy lesson for Phil. Also lol at Dan's river knowledge(!!!) - his geography syllabus must've been as frikking USELESS as mine at school, hence why I dropped it in favour of history asap!
Dan was actually right about the river question. I think missemma suggested to me that it may just have been that when the game was made in the 90's, it might have been believed the mississippi wasn't the 3rd longest. What a shame. I demand a rematch! Someone tweeted Dan about too so he knows lol.

I really loved the video. It made me smile and I am so excited for the rest of gamingmas!
mio
#relatable

nephilimcat wrote:I've never really watched "Who wants to be a Millionaire?" (the German version) until this week and suddenly Dan and Phil upload a video playing it, that's such a weird coincidence! Stuff like this happens to me a lot, isn't there also a name for it? It's kinda creepy, who is observing me?
The Baader-Meinhof phenomenon
(wasnt that a topic somewhere here before or am I imagining things..?)
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
DryCereal
koi pond

human wrote:
IckleMissMayhem wrote:Definite jumpcut for female anatomy lesson for Phil. Also lol at Dan's river knowledge(!!!) - his geography syllabus must've been as frikking USELESS as mine at school, hence why I dropped it in favour of history asap!
Dan was actually right about the river question. It may just have been that when the game was made in the 90's, it might have been believed the mississippi wasn't the 3rd longest. What a shame. I demand a rematch!

I really loved the video. It made me smile and I am so excited for the rest of gamingmas!
I was talking more about "The Nile is #1, the Amazon is #2. People always think the Amazon is #1..."

nephilimcat
woodland creature

mio wrote:
nephilimcat wrote:I've never really watched "Who wants to be a Millionaire?" (the German version) until this week and suddenly Dan and Phil upload a video playing it, that's such a weird coincidence! Stuff like this happens to me a lot, isn't there also a name for it? It's kinda creepy, who is observing me?
The Baader-Meinhof phenomenon
(wasnt that a topic somewhere here before or am I imagining things..?)
Ah, yes, thanks! And I think you're right, we've already talked about it, but I don't remember when and why.
pulvis et umbra sumus
human
dan hand trash

Who wants to be a millionaire just reminds me of the dude over here who tried to scam the show hahaha it was hilarious. Here's a documentary about the ploy they pulled lol: link. That's kinda OT though lol oops.

I bought plushies. I need them in my life ahahaha.
secretagentphan
procrastinator

Okay loved that video even though I was watching it in my study and as a closet Dan and Phil fan it was very stressful. Am I the only one that thought Phil quoting Dan from either pinof 1 or 2 (I forget) with the "Microwave" thing and Dan being all embarrassed about it was adorable af?? IDEK why and obviously there were some better parts but I feel like this still deserves to be acknowledged lol.
mez29
procrastinator

IckleMissMayhem wrote:
human wrote:
Dan was actually right about the river question. It may just have been that when the game was made in the 90's, it might have been believed the mississippi wasn't the 3rd longest. What a shame. I demand a rematch!

I was talking more about "The Nile is #1, the Amazon is #2. People always think the Amazon is #1..."

(can't believe I only came here to talk about rivers after that video but) isn't that a recent thing too? I remember being taught at school that the Nile was longer, but then reading a couple of years ago that they'd recently discovered a bit of extra length in the Amazon (however that works).
kuensukki wrote:wow phil shades brexit so casually and no one mentions it
I live for these moments.
DryCereal
koi pond

Well, Brexit will currently be losing them money (I do hope their income from TATINOF USA isn't/wasn't affected!) on merch sales outside of the UK, so shade away. Fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu- Brexit. :sideeye:
majitzu
angel bean

sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

majitzu
angel bean

it's over, it was funny.