Dan & Phil part 32...and what a thicc thread it was

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
melon lord
morning quiff
Pronouns: she/her

pixlexia wrote: I noticed that as well and found it quite funny! There's something about seeing the "behind the scenes" aspect of it vs the performing aspect of it that's just so intriguing. We've seen several times accidental glimpses where they slipped out of performing mode and into casual-chilling mode, and the dynamic between jumping from low-key to high-key is just so INTERESTING.

I came here for my regular once-in-a-blue-moon appearance to post about this part in the video actually, thinking I was being sneaky and eagle-eyed, but nah. 8-)
Don't worry, it's pretty terrible quality in the window to begin with, but when you're bored and curious, nothing escapes thee :lol:

Yeah it's so different from the filmed reaction, like they probably even went to get a glass of water and then decide how to react to it, to get the maximum effect, like actors on a stage working out their parts.

Kind of puts a spin on everything they do on camera now because you just don't know what is deliberate/discussed about and what is 100% genuine, because you just assume that their reaction at Phil winning was right after the dance ended, like you see in the video, but you forget that it's actually a huge set: lights, camera, recording software, consoles, the stage is decorated and cleared, scenario, makeup, clothes, and then there's also the editing.

Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Oh Phil you dummy. :facepalm: It's not really new info considering Dan once left his location on as well but that was a few years ago so a whole bunch of new people have come in since then. It's not hard to figure out certain things (not really their exact address tho thankfully) if you have that tweet location and basic knowledge of the city either... :? Glad he deleted the tweet.
Artdefines06 wrote:
swofro wrote:
Catallena wrote: - 'Would you like a cup of tea?' 'Yes Makoto' ..where did Makoto come from? Why is Dan thinking of Makoto? Someone explain.
Same. That was so random I don't understand. Isn't Makoto a character in Free! or something? Maybe the character in the screen looks like Makoto??? Is it referencing to an episode of said anime about getting tea? Who knows?
Since no one answered this I will try to explain what I think it is.

at 15:45 of the first Pokemon Go episode Phil points out Haru cafe, and they make a joke about it being what Haru would have done if he didn't swim.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE438jWkcE0

But that was 6 months ago you say, why would they remember such a small reference

either
1. Dan is such Phil trash he remembers every little joke ever made
2. Dan was inspired by that moment and has spent the last 6 months crafting his makoharu Coffeeshop AU on AO3, so its all he thinks about every day :)

(caution: large doses of sarcasm)
I accept this, Victuri comes and goes but Dan's dedication the one and true OTP MakoHaru will remain.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
papierklemmen
flower crown

melon lord wrote:
pixlexia wrote: I noticed that as well and found it quite funny! There's something about seeing the "behind the scenes" aspect of it vs the performing aspect of it that's just so intriguing. We've seen several times accidental glimpses where they slipped out of performing mode and into casual-chilling mode, and the dynamic between jumping from low-key to high-key is just so INTERESTING.

I came here for my regular once-in-a-blue-moon appearance to post about this part in the video actually, thinking I was being sneaky and eagle-eyed, but nah. 8-)
Don't worry, it's pretty terrible quality in the window to begin with, but when you're bored and curious, nothing escapes thee :lol:

Yeah it's so different from the filmed reaction, like they probably even went to get a glass of water and then decide how to react to it, to get the maximum effect, like actors on a stage working out their parts.

Kind of puts a spin on everything they do on camera now because you just don't know what is deliberate/discussed about and what is 100% genuine, because you just assume that their reaction at Phil winning was right after the dance ended, like you see in the video, but you forget that it's actually a huge set: lights, camera, recording software, consoles, the stage is decorated and cleared, scenario, makeup, clothes, and then there's also the editing.
oh no, they sit on a throne of lies! there's also probably a script, knowing dan. ok maybe not for gaming vids, that'd be too much...

tbh dan makes it hard to forget that they play it up a lot. people have been using the word "relaxed" to describe their behaviour in the last vids, but i only found him relaxed in the millionaire video, the others were his normal on-screen hyper self. and the yesterday was 200% hyperenergetic, with dan looking into the camera almost as if reciting an ad script at times

while i'd like to see more genuine stuff, i know for them youtube is work so i don't care that much as long as dan doesn't go full-on YTR tatinof performance :lol: (we need an emoji for "bad actor" )
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

melon lord wrote:

To me it just goes back to that old tired conversation about putting on different faces for different moments. If I'm playing a game with a friend online and they win I'm not sitting there jumping up and down clapping for them. If I'm playing a game with a friend in person and they win, I'm going to vocally congratulate them because I know they're looking at me for a reaction and it would be weird to not react.

Dan and Phil are going to amplify their reactions to climactic moments because otherwise it's a weird as fuck video where they finish the game and just have blank faces. So it's not less genuine, to me, it's just the response most fitted for the moment.
hiddenwombat
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

pearshaped34 wrote:
hiddenwombat wrote:did anyone else notice at 9:08 the kinect detects them as the opposite player? how far into the song was that? who is the true winner of that DvP?
That seemed to be the very end of the song and by the scores appearing on screen when they were playing as as each other that didn't seem to have much of an affect on the overall winner of that round as they were getting similar grades. However as human said Phil got lucky because he was getting perfect when he wasn't doing anything similar to what the person on screen did. That being said it was nice to get to see Phil win one again so I'll take it.

i'll take it too i was starting to feel bad for him. poor guy.

fun fact: ALL of phil's wins in Dan vs Phil have been due to all or nothing. i personally don't count this one, i count the third dance as a tie breaker, but phil himself called it all or nothing, so...

do they just redo the rounds until phil wins :lol:
Last edited by hiddenwombat on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Agreed. I like to think of one of my favorite quotes whenever this conversation comes up:

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be" - Kurt Vonnegut.

I'm sure this isn't their personalities and they do amp it up but I'm pretty sure that a good part of their personalities comes into play. We all wear masks but I don't really think they are oscar worthy actors or anything- it's always pretty obvious when they are being more genuine
melon lord
morning quiff

alittledizzy wrote:
To me it just goes back to that old tired conversation about putting on different faces for different moments. If I'm playing a game with a friend online and they win I'm not sitting there jumping up and down clapping for them. If I'm playing a game with a friend in person and they win, I'm going to vocally congratulate them because I know they're looking at me for a reaction and it would be weird to not react.

Dan and Phil are going to amplify their reactions to climactic moments because otherwise it's a weird as fuck video where they finish the game and just have blank faces. So it's not less genuine, to me, it's just the response most fitted for the moment.
It's not so much that I mind per se, I understand that what you need for a good video (ie. entertaining) is probably not true to real life, it's just a reminder for me to take a step back and add some perspective when I start to fall down a deep hole of analysing, because personally I get so caught up in things that I forget to see the forest rather than the trees
papierklemmen wrote:
oh no, they sit on a throne of lies! there's also probably a script, knowing dan. ok maybe not for gaming vids, that'd be too much...

sentinel
lady door

i have nothing of value to contribute
papierklemmen
flower crown

melon lord, sentinel, a c c u r a t e :lol:
000dia000
emo goose

dank memes happening here
I'm not complaining
:cactus:
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

sentinel wrote:i have nothing of value to contribute
Top quality content :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: , almost died of choking on an apple.

*saves*

I'm just casually waiting for content so I can go to sleep and maybe see Deppy in my dreams...

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

SquishPhan
capita£ester

Well seems like Youtube is still not working right, because 's vid from yesterday is now suddenly at only 200k views, while it was frozen on 446k for a long time.
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

SquishPhan wrote:Well seems like Youtube is still not working right, because 's vid from yesterday is now suddenly at only 200k views, while it was frozen on 446k for a long time.
I just noticed that too and for some reason on mobile, the thumbnail still says it's frozen at the 446k views but not on the video itself??
Edit: now it went to both of them only saying 200k views. How can YouTube keep saying there isn't a problem when there clearly is?
Last edited by confusedpanda on Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
MoonPride
moon room

SquishPhan wrote:Well seems like Youtube is still not working right, because 's vid from yesterday is now suddenly at only 200k views, while it was frozen on 446k for a long time.
I checked a hour or so again and they had way more than 200k views. What on earth is going wrong with YT.....

Starting to think no video tonight.
apathy
sad dimple

Why is everyone assuming the game screen was first and the reaction to the scores was after? Couldn't the reaction have been "genuine" and filmed first before they took a break and the later part of the screen was used in the shot? Did I miss some timeline evidence?

Not that I don't think they plan/refilm results & reactions sometimes, they've made it very clear how conscious they are of feeling like they need to be entertaining among whatever other reasons.
That's my socializing quota for the month up.
papierklemmen
flower crown

oh no, i was just gonna write that no video tonight and we got impossible quiz :sideeye: :sideeye: :sideeye:

p.s. holy FUCK, dan's lips... :? he needs emergency chapstick.
Waggle9007
sofa crease

papierklemmen wrote:oh no, i was just gonna write that no video tonight and we got impossible quiz :sideeye: :sideeye: :sideeye:

From the description:

KlaBimm
crusty sponge

Waggle9007 wrote:
papierklemmen wrote:oh no, i was just gonna write that no video tonight and we got impossible quiz :sideeye: :sideeye: :sideeye:

From the description:

Thats beautiful. And I wonder, it sounds like Phil wrote that but at the same time it seems like something Phil wouldn't usually say? or would he?
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Dan and Phil are on a roll, because this was another fun vid to watch. They continue being so fond of each other and not shying back from physical contact.
I laughed so hard when Phil accidently clicked back. And the poking.
bee
phabergé

I am a very happy bee. Gamingmas is saving the bees
eevee
emo goose

This video bored me like the last one but not for the same reason. They did seem like they were having fun this time, probably because they were so close to finishing it. That excitement however pushed them to use a shitton of skips which kinda defeats the purpose of doing the quiz if you ask me.....but i understand it sucks to have to do the whole thing over again. At least they tried a few questions! I'm excited for this to be over, though.

Pokey fun time was also adorable. How did Phil not flinch when his side was poked?
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
nephilimcat
woodland creature

When Phil closed the quiz, I just started to laugh hysterically because of it and Dan's reaction. I mean, it was not even that funny, but I couldn't stop for about five minutes and sounded like I was choking. I don't even know what got into me :shock:

Anyway, I liked that video, even though I really hoped they'd finish it with this episode. Does anyone know how many questions it actually has?
pulvis et umbra sumus
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

KlaBimm wrote:
Waggle9007 wrote:

From the description:

Thats beautiful. And I wonder, it sounds like Phil wrote that but at the same time it seems like something Phil wouldn't usually say? or would he?
It sounds like Dan to me. He often refers to himself in the third person.

Of course he needs lip balm way before Christmas! My lips hurt in sympathy through the entire video.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
MoonPride
moon room

I think it has 100 questions
hannah
butt chair

MoonPride wrote:I think it has 100 questions
110 Questions! ;)
http://impossible-quiz.wikia.com/wiki/T ... _Quiz_Wiki