Dan & Phil Part 33: #JustBroThings

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Neither Dan nor Phil are going to have to rely on a degree or school-taught skills in order to get a job. Both of them have enough fame, influence, and probably professional networking behind them that if they want off-youtube employment they can find something. Someone will offer them something.

Not to mention: they're millionaires. They are financially secure enough that while I'm sure they will continue to want projects that bring in money, they don't have to work continuously in order to make ends meet. They can sustain themselves on projects that interest them even if they have less of a financial output in the end, if they choose to work off youtube. Phil will not be in a position where he ever has to rely on editing other people's videos to make money, basically.

2017 predictions:
- more regular videos, since for the first time in two years they don't have the push of book/tour/movie/documentary/book dominating their free time.
- more casual openness/glass closet
- even more blatant male attraction from Phil
- even more blatant furry attraction from Dan
Sakura Selfie
rainbow nerd

I'm really enjoying all these gaming vids, I was wondering if they seem more relaxed not just because they are actually more relaxed but also because they don't have the chance to obsess over the editing as much as I think they normally may, the turnaround time might be why they're a lot more casual?

@jesuisuneleve I am fully down for the idea of a Phan Pallette, a beautiful shimmering black shade called "Dans Soul" would be the highlight of it for me, plus a nice matte taupe called "Phils houseplants" perhaps
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

jesuisunèléve wrote:Whatever they end up doing, I really hope it's not the typical YT formula, but watch I will end up eating my words: they will team up with one of the big makeup brands and end up doing a palette.
I clearly have too much time on my hands.
mio
#relatable

sentinel wrote:As a person in that industry, I have to completely disagree. Trends change, tech doesn't.

Programs get more intuitive and easier to use. Several anecdotal cases: last time I picked up InDesign it was still called "Adobe Pagemaker" and nothing had changed between Pagemaker 7 of 2004 and 2015 InDesign that I used last spring. I've been a Photoshop user since version 7: the only changes are added options (such as the invation (tm) of CS2's "Selective colouring", CS3's ablity to do 3D, CS5's content aware fill and vibrance). Same with Sony Vegas, Premiere Pro and After Effects.

Phil edits a lot and it's not that hard to make a switch between programs, it's a matter of relearning key combinations, I assure you. He could easily get back into the editing room and be in the swing of things in a matter of days.
as somebody working in design I totally agree!

Also: At the level of masters (or any university degree) it's not about technicals like using a certain program but about overall "meta" skills that don't change over time. Like in editing how to create suspense/bring a certain message across/engage the viewer.
Learning to use a new program is something you can easily do in a few weeks and with tutorials, no need to go to university for that.

That being said I don't see either of them in the role of some executive employee. I think if they'd want to stop being in front of the camera they'd probably search out jobs that still give them creative liberty like leading online/video/cross media projects behind the scenes or mentoring.
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

pilotlight wrote:
jesuisunèléve wrote:Whatever they end up doing, I really hope it's not the typical YT formula, but watch I will end up eating my words: they will team up with one of the big makeup brands and end up doing a palette.
This is wonderful, very accurate
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

alittledizzy is right.
If they are going to go into a “stable career” in so far a stable careers exist at all in showbusiness/creative/entertainment fields, the thing that’s obvious to me is presenting work, as a duo.
Catallena wrote:D&P are relevant because of YouTube and the opportunities that they get are related to their status on the platform and the loyalty of the phandom. They didn't get a job at BBCR1 because they had any passion or talent for radio, they got it because R1 desperately needed a younger audience and they figured D&P would bring theirs with them. The Brits didn't let them host and ask them back twice because they're such terrific hosts, but because of their popularity on YouTube and the phandom watching anything D&P are in. I don't think they have what it takes to really make it outside of YouTube tbh (at least not rn), they're popular but I don't think they have enough mainstream appeal. I think get their YouTube mojo back will be crucial for them this next year so I really hope there's no new big side project. Especially their main channels have suffered this year. Right now we're seeing how the frequent uploading on DAPG is having really positive effects on the phandom, I hope they see that frequent uploads are what they main channels need to pull those out of their slumps as will. Dan especially needs to drop the 'this video is so March 15th' thing go, because it isn't doing anyone any favors and I get his perfectionism and shit, but he can't afford doing stuff like that right now. They have years left on YouTube, but they're gonna have to work for it. After they take care of their YouTube channels I do hope they start doing stuff with the BBC again to get their names out there.

About The Brits, do y'all think they'll return for 2017? It'd be their 4th year doing it. During the 2016 one I felt like it would be their last for some reason, maybe because they no longer handled the red carpet, but I'm not sure. They'll be free as far as we know, so if they don't do it they either declined the offer or The Brits didn't ask them back.
I disagree. The R1 may have initially hired them because they wanted to attract a younger audience, but I think there’s more to it than that.
I think the BBC has been setting them up as a presenting duo and will probably continue to do so if Dan and Phil stay willing to take the work they are offered. They don’t have a mainstream following because they haven’t had much mainstream exposure. The BBC has been training them up on the teenage internet audience because that’s safer; Dan and Phil already had an established teenage audience who could be counted upon to follow them and ensure the projects didn’t flop. However, I also see parallels between the way Dan and Phil were trained up on the radio, and the way a lot of people doing “proper” adult presenting with the BBC now, got their first presenting work on children’s programmes. Matt Baker, for example, now hosts The One Show. I remember him from Blue Peater.

The BBC uses presenting duos. Matt Baker works with Alex Jones on The One Show. Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman host Strictly Come Dancing. I watched some of Children in Need this year, and one of the hosing duos they used was Graham Norton and Ade Adepitan. They had no chemistry. They were so awkward together that the strategy they used was to pretend that they knew each other even less than they actually did, to be awkward deliberately to mask the real awkwardness. It was awful. Graham Norton has a huge reputation, he has his own talk show, and he’s the one does the commentary for Eurovision. Ade is less famous, but he’s also a fairly established presenter, who started out presenting on CBBC after he retired as a Paralympic athlete. They’re both well known, and that didn’t make them good at what they had to do that night.

You don’t need to be “well known” or “popular” to get work as a presenter. You need to have had enough experience and training with a young audience that the BBC trusts you enough to show you to the adults. You need to be charismatic, which Dan and Phil are. If you’re going to work as a duo and have it not be painfully awkward, you need to have chemistry, which Dan and Phil do. It is their ability to work together, bounce off each other, read each other, that is their key asset, not the phandom. Their youtube audience could evaporate entirely and they would still have their unique chemistry, and that would be what would get them work.
Phantasy
woodland creature

What would be a great fit for them is to launch their own podcast... it puts their radio experience to use and they would have more creative control, maybe they could somehow launch it as a joint venture with BBC radio, who knows. I think that would be the perfect project for them and I don't think there are many British youtubers in the podcast space yet... pewds has an inactive one, and Marcus Butler (lol) is launching one, so 2017 might be a great time to jump in. And if they're ambitious enough with it, they could even spin it into a whole enterprise and set up (or produce for) other creators with their own podcasts under a Deppy Radio Network banner.
Philena
blobfish

Omg, he looks so fucking hot! But, seriously! Think how much of a killing they could make with their own upscale palettes. Smoky neutrals for the Dan. Playful colors for the Phil. They have a built in base who would be all over that!
psychicmoth
living flop

I think 2017 is going to be a good year to try new things, and if they haven't any other big project aside from YouTube, they should take this opportunity and try to add a different kind of content to their channels. They don’t need to change drastically their videos, but I think is going to be important for them to take some risks and do some experiments. As some of you as said, their way of manage important projects is different from other youtubers. In particular, I think they are very good giving complexity to little ideas. In TATINOF they have proven that they know how to build a complex creative universe around a single concept. Creativity is now their most valuable skill, they should take the most of it.
mio wrote:
sentinel wrote:As a person in that industry, I have to completely disagree. Trends change, tech doesn't.

Programs get more intuitive and easier to use. Several anecdotal cases: last time I picked up InDesign it was still called "Adobe Pagemaker" and nothing had changed between Pagemaker 7 of 2004 and 2015 InDesign that I used last spring. I've been a Photoshop user since version 7: the only changes are added options (such as the invation (tm) of CS2's "Selective colouring", CS3's ablity to do 3D, CS5's content aware fill and vibrance). Same with Sony Vegas, Premiere Pro and After Effects.

Phil edits a lot and it's not that hard to make a switch between programs, it's a matter of relearning key combinations, I assure you. He could easily get back into the editing room and be in the swing of things in a matter of days.
as somebody working in design I totally agree!

Also: At the level of masters (or any university degree) it's not about technicals like using a certain program but about overall "meta" skills that don't change over time. Like in editing how to create suspense/bring a certain message across/engage the viewer.
Learning to use a new program is something you can easily do in a few weeks and with tutorials, no need to go to university for that.

That being said I don't see either of them in the role of some executive employee. I think if they'd want to stop being in front of the camera they'd probably search out jobs that still give them creative liberty like leading online/video/cross media projects behind the scenes or mentoring.
Exactly! And at this point, Phil have already given Dan all his editing tips -no pun intended - so it should be easy for them to learn a more complex software if they want.
flarequake wrote:
pilotlight wrote:
This is wonderful, very accurate
Tbh I would even be willing to buy a cooking book written by them. Go ahead guys, bring me the weird merch.
(used to be Maya)
:sparkle: :crystalball: :sparkle:
eevee
emo goose

I made Dan and Phil a makeup palette. They can thank me later:
And pilotlight's is brilliant as well!
alittledizzy wrote:- even more blatant furry attraction from Dan
I did not expect this
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
MoonPride
moon room

eevee wrote:I made Dan and Phil a makeup palette. They can thank me later:
This is amazing
gnostic
stress mushroom

Llama legs and sofa crease are winners for me so far, guess I will just have to buy both palettes!

...Dear Deppy pls don't team up with MAC for eyeshadow my wallet can only take so much abuse
Just here for the marketing skills
pilotlight
#relatable

Nice. I really like "Stop Stealing my Cereal!" :lol: And it's nice to see poor Poe immortalized in eyeshadow.
gnostic
stress mushroom

pilotlight wrote:
Nice. I really like "Stop Stealing my Cereal!" :lol: And it's nice to see poor Poe immortalized in eyeshadow.
I am curious why Phil was blue both times?
Just here for the marketing skills
mio
#relatable

This is beautiful 10/10 would buy

gnostic blue is Phil's favorite color, isnt it?

I only dont get "go swimming". Is this a Free! or a jamaica reference? :lol:
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
ocelot
phillion/danosaur <//3

mio wrote:

#Justbrosflirting
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Philena wrote:Omg, he looks so fucking hot!
He does look really good.
mio wrote:

I think it is a reference to Dan saying that you could go swimming in Phil’s eyes.

Love both makeup palettes.
pilotlight
#relatable

gnostic wrote:I am curious why Phil was blue both times?
I was thinking eye colour.
eevee
emo goose

ocelot wrote:#Justbrosflirting
SquishPhan wrote: I think it is a reference to Dan saying that you could go swimming in Phil’s eyes.

Love both makeup palettes.
nailed it! that's one of my fav references. Also, thanks everyone who liked the palette!

Also:
and bonus:
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

That's a lovely eyeshadow palette. Also great post about the BBC and its duos of presenters trained for the kids' audience first, I hadn't thought of that, but it's true and those people are some of the nation's favourite people. Deps' new less awkward, sarcastic and overly-cute behaviour is a good step for it too, they need more than joking about how awkward they are or it just stays awkward.
MoonPride
moon room

Offtopic but does anyone have the link where Dan does the radio show with Phil on Facetime? I have lookes on Youtube but can't seem to find it.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

Don't think he calls Phil till some point past the 50 minute mark if your just looking for that bit.
Lain
eclipse shirt

MoonPride wrote:Offtopic but does anyone have the link where Dan does the radio show with Phil on Facetime? I have lookes on Youtube but can't seem to find it.
I can't find it on Youtube, but here it is on BBC Radio 1:

The one where Dan is alone on his own (almost)

Edit: Phil makes his first appearance @ 8:16.
fleur-de-lis
butt chair

The new video is quite early today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoj_Ntpdfeg&t=3s
hopinglester
banned

About the new video, was it my impression or were dan and phil holding hands briefly before the back slap a round the minute 10:07 and 10:08? I rewatched a lot and it seems so to me.

I'm done with them playing variations of slender tbh, but i'm appreciating gamingmas so far.