Dan & Phil Part 34: It's a post-baking universe

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
MoonPride
moon room

I am hoping we get pinof bloopers for a Christmas Day treat.
papierklemmen
flower crown

realeyesrealize wrote:
charlottekath wrote:
This is getting out of hand.
i would say it's getting old :sideeye: is he having a kinkmas along with gamingmas? "kinkmas - when i post a joke about kinks and fetishes everyday until christmas!" should've announced it that way tbh.

i for one can't wait for the gamingmas to be over so i can have a life and forget about deppy for at least a month :lol:
blueapple_x
flower crown

realeyesrealize wrote:
charlottekath wrote:
I'm not sick of the suggestive jokey tweets yet, but this dad-esque joke tho?...delet lol.
:gg: :tsk:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

realeyesrealize wrote:
charlottekath wrote:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
gnostic
stress mushroom

Dan is so fucking extra about every new aspect of his persona, that bratty lil shit (said with utmost love).

Also the person who alerted Phil to goldfish's actual lifespan: I simultaneously disapprove for breaking poor lad's heart and love you for provided entertainment.
Just here for the marketing skills
MoonPride
moon room

I am trying to figure out Dan's new persona, so far all I got is that he is a kinky little shit lol
nephilimcat
woodland creature
Pronouns: she/her

Why is literally everything a persona? Maybe it's just Dan's actual character and he likes making kink-jokes? We don't know him. Yet everything that's constant with Deppy is apparently a persona. I'm not that naive to believe they behave 100% the way they are when they aren't sitting in front of a camera, but I don't think everything new or everything they constantly do is part of some more or less artificial persona. And I also don't think that all aspects of the persona they do have or had were carefully chosen and planned but more coincidences that consist of parts of their actual personalities. AP and dinof are personas, sure, but Dan and Phil are complex people and not everything they do and say is part of their old or new persona. And since we don't know them personally we can't really tell the difference between persona and character.

Well, this is just what I think
pulvis et umbra sumus
kusunoki masashige
butt chair

bluebox-away wrote:
charlottekath wrote:
no wonder pete wentz unfollowed him...
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

nephilimcat wrote:Why is literally everything a persona? Maybe it's just Dan's actual character and he likes making kink-jokes? We don't know him. Yet everything that's constant with Deppy is apparently a persona. I'm not that naive to believe they behave 100% the way they are when they aren't sitting in front of a camera, but I don't think everything new or everything they constantly do is part of some more or less artificial persona. And I also don't think that all aspects of the persona they do have or had were carefully chosen and planned but more coincidences that consist of parts of their actual personalities. AP and dinof are personas, sure, but Dan and Phil are complex people and not everything they do and say is part of their old or new persona. And since we don't know them personally we can't really tell the difference between persona and character.

I agree. And I'm pretty sure Dan does too. I mean, this tweet is just from December 3:
I think a lot of people use branding/persona as an easy way to brush off things they either don't like or uncomfortable with. It has a minimizing effect.
papierklemmen
flower crown

nephilimcat wrote:Why is literally everything a persona? Maybe it's just Dan's actual character and he likes making kink-jokes? We don't know him. Yet everything that's constant with Deppy is apparently a persona. I'm not that naive to believe they behave 100% the way they are when they aren't sitting in front of a camera, but I don't think everything new or everything they constantly do is part of some more or less artificial persona. And I also don't think that all aspects of the persona they do have or had were carefully chosen and planned but more coincidences that consist of parts of their actual personalities. AP and dinof are personas, sure, but Dan and Phil are complex people and not everything they do and say is part of their old or new persona. And since we don't know them personally we can't really tell the difference between persona and character.

i always thought that what we imply by dinof and AP "personas" here are not entirely scripted, unrelated to them characters, but very flanderized versions of their traits, basically exaggerated caricatures of their personalities.
just in case, here's the definition of "flanderization"
The act of taking a single (often minor) action or trait of a character within a work and exaggerating it more and more over time until it completely consumes the character.
it especially seemed to be the case with dinof, what with dan turning his very real anxiety/pessimistic tendencies into a whole EXISTENTIAL CRISIS brand that even had its own bit in their show.

it's too early to tell what dan's doing with these kink jokes, it's not a particularly new side of him tbh (we've heard him mention kinks before), but the fact is - when you take one side of your personality, emphasize it and multiply it by x100 - it becomes a "character", especially if you focus on only one trait at a time.

but again - too early to tell, he's probably just having a trollish christmas :lol:
Last edited by papierklemmen on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnostic
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote:

I agree. And I'm pretty sure Dan does too. I mean, this tweet is just from December 3:
I think a lot of people use branding/persona as an easy way to brush off things they either don't like or uncomfortable with. It has a minimizing effect.
Because it's one thing to make kink jokes from time to time, another - in literally every video and every other day on twitree, AND amidst losing some parts of old persona AND after openly declared rebranding AND give the fact that Dan and Phil are in fact known for developing persona for themselves

I am a big fan of kink jokes and extremely sex positive person, and an actual frequent attendee of BDSM gatherings, so trust me, discomfort has nothing to do with t
MoonPride
moon room

Because we don't know Dan, being the private person he is we have no idea if he is being genuine, a troll, or if this being a kinky shit is part of his rebranding. And tbh I doubt we will ever know.

Eta: I also have no issue with his kink comments. I think it's funny.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Maybe this is all some elaborate smokescreen so we will stop thinking that he, indeed does, have honey in his belly button. After all, Dan has important people following him and he wouldn't want them to think he was weird or anything
papierklemmen
flower crown

Amiaw wrote:Maybe this is all some elaborate smokescreen so we will stop thinking that he, indeed does, have honey in his belly button. After all, Dan has important people following him and he wouldn't want them to think he was weird or anything
lmao that'd be a creative way out :lol: an internet equivalent of dying your shirt red after getting some ketchup on it
fancybum
senpai

gnostic wrote: Because it's one thing to make kink jokes from time to time, another - in literally every video and every other day on twitree, AND amidst losing some parts of old persona AND after openly declared rebranding AND give the fact that Dan and Phil are in fact known for developing persona for themselves
papierklemmen wrote:it's too early to tell what dan's doing with these kink jokes, it's not a particularly new side of him tbh (we've heard him mention kinks before), but the fact is - when you take one side of your personality, emphasize it and multiply it by x100 - it becomes a "character", especially if you focus on only one trait at a time.
I understand chalking up a lot of things to 'persona' but I think their 'rebranding' has more to do with lessening the old personas (de-branding) and being more themselves. If they're being more noticeably sexual etc. I'm of the impression they're doing that because... that's how they actually are. Not because 'kink-enthusiast' is something Dan consciously wants to add to the dinof brand (and as mentioned, elements of that were already there before anyway). imo. And 2-3 tweets about something doesn't seem like quite enough to be considered multiplying a trait by 100 (..well, yet, but I'd like to see him try), more like he's having a specific kind of week (just in thoughts or in action who knows).

Also, much more importantly, Chris liked the bondage reindeer tweet, so clearly Dan's doing something right.

edit:
kusunoki masashige wrote: no wonder pete wentz unfollowed him...
I just saw this :lol: Aw. Maybe the honey tweet really was the last straw and Dan was right.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
papierklemmen
flower crown

fancybum wrote:And 2-3 tweets about something doesn't seem like quite enough to be considered multiplying a trait by 100 (..well, yet, but I'd like to see him try), more like he's having a specific kind of week (just in thoughts or in action who knows).

Also, much more importantly, Chris liked the bondage reindeer tweet, so clearly Dan's doing something right.
2-3 tweets and god knows how many mentions in their videos tho. :lol: the one last night had at least 3 kink mentions (including phil's cereal fetish) and thats just one video.

fanfiction time: dan caught a cold on his way from stockholm. phil, afraid to get sick before going home for christmas, decided to withhold any kind of sexual activity until dan recoveres. gamingmas is tough, dan is not getting enough sleep so he still can't get rid of the cold. it's been 84 years, he's cranky, horny and desperate (bonus explanation for his sour mood).

lol @ chris
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

papierklemmen wrote:
fancybum wrote:And 2-3 tweets about something doesn't seem like quite enough to be considered multiplying a trait by 100 (..well, yet, but I'd like to see him try), more like he's having a specific kind of week (just in thoughts or in action who knows).

2-3 tweets and god knows how many mentions in their videos tho. :lol: the one last night had at least 3 kink mentions (including phil's cereal fetish) and thats just one video.
I think the thing about the videos is what I pointed out yesterday - it's not that Dan is mentioning more stuff per video, it's that we're just getting more videos all in a row so it feels more intense. I think if we were waiting a week between videos people wouldn't feel like this was so pointed.
gnostic
stress mushroom

fancybum wrote:
gnostic wrote: Because it's one thing to make kink jokes from time to time, another - in literally every video and every other day on twitree, AND amidst losing some parts of old persona AND after openly declared rebranding AND give the fact that Dan and Phil are in fact known for developing persona for themselves
papierklemmen wrote:it's too early to tell what dan's doing with these kink jokes, it's not a particularly new side of him tbh (we've heard him mention kinks before), but the fact is - when you take one side of your personality, emphasize it and multiply it by x100 - it becomes a "character", especially if you focus on only one trait at a time.
I understand chalking up a lot of things to 'persona' but I think their 'rebranding' has more to do with lessening the old personas (de-branding) and being more themselves. If they're being more noticeably sexual etc. I'm of the impression they're doing that because... that's how they actually are. Not because 'kink-enthusiast' is something Dan consciously wants to add to the dinof brand (and as mentioned, elements of that were already there before anyway). imo. And 2-3 tweets about something doesn't seem like quite enough to be considered multiplying a trait by 100 (..well, yet, but I'd like to see him try), more like he's having a specific kind of week (just in thoughts or in action who knows).

edit:
I just saw this :lol: Aw. Maybe the honey tweet really was the last straw and Dan was right.
I am sorry but at least 3 tweets and 7 mentions in videos (that I can remember off the top of my head) over the period of what, ten days, doesn't seem natural to me due to its sudden regularity. It's almost like Phil's scheduled pan cakes tweets

(Which reminds me, one day that rebranding shall reach Mr. Lester's tweeting habits. ONE DAY. I SHALL BELIEVE)
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

fancybum wrote:

edit:
Agreed I think they're basically just filtering out their sense of humor less in the new video's. Maybe after all the success of the tour, the fact that they aren't tied to a corporation anymore (like the BBC) and because of them just them getting older they now feel more confident in making more (edgy) jokes. The tweets and sex jokes in the video's are both part of the personna in the sense that their bantz per minute ratio is clearly insane and a huge amplification of how they communicate off camera but I also think they both love joking about kinks and sex.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
fancybum
senpai

gnostic wrote: (Which reminds me, one day that rebranding shall reach Mr. Lester's tweeting habits. ONE DAY. I SHALL BELIEVE)
I want to live to see the day when Phil tweets out something with the words 'choke me daddy' in it. He can even use a pancake emoji while doing it, I'm not picky.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
papierklemmen
flower crown

fancybum wrote:
gnostic wrote: (Which reminds me, one day that rebranding shall reach Mr. Lester's tweeting habits. ONE DAY. I SHALL BELIEVE)
I want to live to see the day when Phil tweets out something with the words 'choke me daddy' in it. He can even use a pancake emoji while doing it, I'm not picky.
+1
sentinel
lady door

gnostic wrote:
(Which reminds me, one day that rebranding shall reach Mr. Lester's tweeting habits. ONE DAY. I SHALL BELIEVE)
what do you mean do you not enjoy daily breakfast and lol so random animals tweets every day???
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Stakhanov wrote:
fancybum wrote:

edit:
Agreed I think they're basically just filtering out their sense of humor less in the new video's. Maybe after all the success of the tour, the fact that they aren't tied to a corporation anymore (like the BBC) and because of them just them getting older they now feel more confident in making more (edgy) jokes. The tweets and sex jokes in the video's are both part of the personna in the sense that their bantz per minute ratio is clearly insane and a huge amplification of how they communicate off camera but I also think they both love joking about kinks and sex.
As long as he doesn't go full on Pewdiepie with his antics (don't get me wrong- I like Felix but lately he's been more extra than normal) than I am completely fine with Dan doing what he wants.
malday
emo goose

papierklemmen wrote:
fancybum wrote:
+1
+2 wouldn't hurt if he did some attention-seeking from time to time.
c'mon! just block ya mom from twitter.
QuiteFriendly
drama llama

One thing that stood out in the Google Feud video was Dan's comment "stop trying to get time off work" (9:30ish). Wouldn't he usually say something about school? Or is it just me hoping the rebranding is them aiming for a more mature audience? (The kink jokes, Phil's "swearing" seems to imply that to, right?)

(btw, hello everybody! :) 5 months after creating an account I finally posted something)