Dan & Phil Part 34: It's a post-baking universe

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
melon lord
morning quiff
Pronouns: she/her

teamug wrote:
melon lord wrote:Whether they are together or not, one of the things I hate with the ambiguity is less their own "performance" (I use the term loosely), but more how it affects us as a fanbase/community. Especially in this age-old debate, the implications and lowkey shading just flies from all sides of the argument.
Yes we do all enjoy them for the bants and the entertainment but when it comes to this, there is such a divide and rift that only "the truth" would settle, for either side. I feel somehow that if things were clearer (and I mean 100% from the horse's mouth clear, not ambiguous heart eyes or poking), then the community would be more peaceful in general
I don't think Dan and Phil need to clear their relationship in order for people to behave themselves on the internet. Are they responsible for how their audience takes on the age-old debate and divides themselves? If it wasn't a case of are they/aren't they in a romantic relationship, there would be some other issue for their fans to debate and attack eachother over. This is a peeve I have of the world nowadays in general, not just within the phandom, but, the utter inability of people to take responsibility for their own words and actions annoys me.

No one should need to explain their personal lives to strangers to ensure said strangers good behaviour. (This is me imagining the world is a much better place than it actually is. eh.)

Sorry, melonlord, I've failed at trying to get my sentiment across without sounding harsh, in no way am I having a go at you.
You misunderstand me, I'm not saying they are responsible, I'm criticising the fandom for not behaving through the ambiguity. I'm not saying "wow if only they were an out couple we'd all behave" I'm meaning that I hate how the ambiguity causes a divide between fans, more than the actual truth. Am I making sense? I dislike how within the community taking any sort of stance in either direction paints you with a negative brush, and that's the community's fault. They have a right to be ambiguous or "out", and no amount of pestering by fans should change that, but it saddens me that the ambiguity itself is causing rifts within the community, even if we all enjoy their content.

Naturally things would be more clear and civil if there WAS truth out, but I'm not placing blame on deppy. Nor am I demanding a reveal or outing, because it won't affect my enjoyment of their videos and bants.

Raspberrypi
crusty sponge

Wow between Phil in gamingmas and these last two selfies we've gotten, I think I'm quickly becoming Phil trash
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Raspberrypi wrote:Wow between Phil in gamingmas and these last two selfies we've gotten, I think I'm quickly becoming Phil trash
I think we all are
MoonPride
moon room

uglyamerican wrote:
MoonPride wrote:
He literally spent less than 2 days at home with his family then left? :lol: I think that says quite a lot if it's true.
IDK, I spend "only" part of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with my family, and I live an hour away from home, so....
But we also have Boxing Day here in the UK, which is another day of Christmas stuff. Which is why I find it weird if he left after 48 hours.
000dia000
emo goose

Deppy mention @7.44 regarding how his attention spikes are due to their presence, I find this interesting as deppy also look at their attention spikes and all the little spikes on certain touchy-feely or eye contact moments they have, they're statistically more aware of everything than those who just read the comments
:cactus:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Phil's selfie He needs to take more selfies tbh, especially when they look like this.

With Phil in that ladybug shirt and Dan dusting off the awful leather and the cat ears Ariana Grande send them they could do a weird Miraculous Ladybug cosplay.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
malday
emo goose

yupitsme wrote:
no surprised look, no goofy smile?
bedroom eyes? what universe is this?!
MoonPride
moon room

You know he sent Dan that selfie before sharing it with us. He's got those come to bed eyes thing going on.
psychicmoth
living flop

000dia000 wrote:
Deppy mention @7.44 regarding how his attention spikes are due to their presence, I find this interesting as deppy also look at their attention spikes and all the little spikes on certain touchy-feely or eye contact moments they have, they're statistically more aware of everything than those who just read the comments
Yeah, those statistics are the real feedback. I wonder how the spikes of the halloween baking video look like
Catallena wrote:With Phil in that ladybug shirt and Dan dusting off the awful leather and the cat ears Ariana Grande send them they could do a weird Miraculous Ladybug cosplay.
I was thinking the same, a new AU has risen.
(used to be Maya)
:sparkle: :crystalball: :sparkle:
Winston
flower crown

When I opened Dan's pic in the Christmas jumper I thought "Jesus Christ!" and took a screen shot. I am so much a (I hate this term) 'dangirl'. I just would randomly look at it through out the day... :roll:

Today when I woke up and opened Phil's pic I thought, "Jesus Fucking Christ!". This is the Phil I remember from TATINOF, as irl I was much more attracted to him than Dan. (Which I was extra surprised about, tbh.) Good lord that is one beautiful man. :lel:

Either way they are gorgeous men (Not BOYS), and I am so glad I found them to gawk at through a screen. And I am even more happy that I found this place, where I can express my appreciation.

I just wanted to add, I am one who has a hard time right after the holidays. Not the holidays themselves. It's like I crash afterwards, and get even more depressed than I was before. So I am very grateful for this place and for as they both give me a happy escape from reality. So thanks guys for being you. :platonic: I am as much IDB as I am .
actions speak louder than words
peekatyou
drama llama

malday wrote:
yupitsme wrote:
Ikr. It's a post-baking universe (c)
The best selfie of the year right there.
squishydanny
crusty sponge

hello, long time lurker here
i just finished reading ALL 35 PAGES of this lol
im glad to find a place where people are just obsessed with dan and phil as me :)
phils selfie, oh my god i legitimately cried when i saw it- surprising since i typically find myself more attracted to dan
anyway still trying to figure out the whole forum thing but hope everyone had a happy holiday
papierklemmen
flower crown

000dia000 wrote:
yeah, that's why i'm always hesitant to replay their touchy-feely moments, because i know they're gonna see it :lol: not that my (lack of) contribution will change anything...

when dan said "even if you're here just for the eye contact" or something along those lines during his lf, i felt kinda bad. i wonder how it feels to put out content for it to just get lost in all the phan moments.
gnostic
stress mushroom

papierklemmen wrote:
000dia000 wrote:
yeah, that's why i'm always hesitant to replay their touchy-feely moments, because i know they're gonna see it :lol: not that my (lack of) contribution will change anything...

when dan said "even if you're here just for the eye contact" or something along those lines during his lf, i felt kinda bad. i wonder how it feels to put out content for it to just get lost in all the phan moments.
Whenever you feel bad about that, just remember that phan moments make them mad cash.

All these youtubers and especially Tom being super pressed about Dan and Phil spikes keep mentioning them, but each mention creates another spike. Ironic if understandable lol
Just here for the marketing skills
papierklemmen
flower crown

yeah i know i know. boohoo poor rich white guys :lol:
gnostic
stress mushroom

One thing that always fascinated me about the whole are they or aren't they debate (since we are bringing it to the main thread anyway) is position of Radio 1. Some of the most blatant phan moments come from them. Remember that handholding Christmas drawing to the soft romantic music thing?
Obviously they as a company are gonna push hardcore for what makes them the most cash. But the constant mentions by employees in interviews and discussions, including by employees... I doubt execs just told them "yeah and keep making random jokes about who tops during unrelated shows" although they well COULD now that i think about it.

If Dan and Phil were together and closeted, and some of their years with BBC were pretty damn closeted years, I can't help but feel it's kind of crude to be open about that in such a way. On the other hand, it almost always felt to me like an injoke at the expense of the phandom's belief they are together, but then, I am disbeliever in phan in general so.

Or maybe it is all about dat cash after all. Sorry I am rambling
hunnyftw
phabergé

peekatyou wrote:
malday wrote:
yupitsme wrote:
Ikr. It's a post-baking universe (c)
The best selfie of the year right there.
True dat. The fact that we'll probably spend at least 4 pages just fawning over it and the fact that we all feel the need to spam the page by quoting and reposting the photo endlessly says it all. It's probably my favourite photo of Phil ever. It reduced me to :lel: And that's coming from another Dangirl.
It's such a shame that it probably can't be added to the IDB Awards now. Maybe we should give it a honourable mention at least?

gnostic wrote:Whenever you feel bad about that, just remember that phan moments make them mad cash.

All these youtubers and especially Tom being super pressed about Dan and Phil spikes keep mentioning them, but each mention creates another spike. Ironic if understandable lol
That's true and it does alleviate my uneasiness when it comes to the Phan spikes in other youtubers' videos. But it still makes me super uncomfortable to think of Deppy watching their analytics and seeing that the spikes in their own videos correspond to the hand touch, eye contact etc. Somehow, I really really don't like this image. Not sure why. Probably something to do with the fact that I would feel uncomfortable in their shoes. Which has no importance whatsoever because I'm not them and I have no idea how they feel and they may be uncomfortable as well but they very well may be ok with it and in any case what papierklemmen said still applies to Deppy as well: boohoo cry me a river, c'mon they'll be ok but despite it all I STILL don't like this thought of them looking at their analytics and seeing these spikes. Y'know?
So basically, I'm uncomfortable for Deppy seeing their own analytics, God knows why because they sure as hell don't need my uncomfortableness :lol:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

gnostic wrote:One thing that always fascinated me about the whole are they or aren't they debate (since we are bringing it to the main thread anyway) is position of Radio 1. Some of the most blatant phan moments come from them. Remember that handholding Christmas drawing to the soft romantic music thing?
Obviously they as a company are gonna push hardcore for what makes them the most cash. But the constant mentions by employees in interviews and discussions, including by employees... I doubt execs just told them "yeah and keep making random jokes about who tops during unrelated shows" although they well COULD now that i think about it.

If Dan and Phil were together and closeted, and some of their years with BBC were pretty damn closeted years, I can't help but feel it's kind of crude to be open about that in such a way. On the other hand, it almost always felt to me like an injoke at the expense of the phandom's belief they are together, but then, I am disbeliever in phan in general so.

Or maybe it is all about dat cash after all. Sorry I am rambling
My question is though- has anybody really close to Dan and Phil joked about Phan like that? I know Bryony said that hardcore phan's need to get a grip, or PJ said he respected them as individuals and wouldn't comment, Cat flat out called Dan straight, and since Felix has gotten closer to Deppy he has eased up on the couple jokes - so it seems to me that those close to them Dont causally joke about their "relationship"
melon lord
morning quiff

Amiaw wrote:
My question is though- has anybody really close to Dan and Phil joked about Phan like that? I know Bryony said that hardcore phan's need to get a grip, or PJ said he respected them as individuals and wouldn't comment, Cat flat out called Dan straight, and since Felix has gotten closer to Deppy he has eased up on the couple jokes - so it seems to me that those close to them Dont causally joke about their "relationship"
Bryony is kind of an exception since she has distaste for Youtube and also phans in general, so she would rather block anyone than even entertain the idea of giving an answer. PJ to me is the most respectful since he denies commenting but he also becomes unintentionally ~mysterious~ rather than just be blunt and "no comment" about it. Cat.... :lol: and Felix is a huge troll

what I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall :roll: Phan has become this massive joke in the Youtube community and within the fans themselves. It's this really bizarre Truman Show-esque situation where seemingly a LOT of people are aware of a situation yet there's all of us Trumans who are stumbling about in this guarded, walled up space with people who give planned answers and redirect you and you're confused and wondering why it seems like the entire world is "in" on this joke that you don't understand. As gnostic said, even the BBC became in on it, and even Tesco too I think? Tesco's tweet was pretty inoffensive but some comments/moments from the BBC gave me second-hand embarrassment. :? If these people were together why is it simultaneously a big ~Youtube secret~ and also the first thing you think of when you see deppy/the only thing anyone ever mentions about them? It legitimately confuses me

I understand in this way it's almost mastermind because while everyone bickers over "is it/isn't it" they are just living their life and also unintentionally (or not? ) getting money/recognition over it. Whether Youtubers talk about it or throw shade over it, unless the receipts come from Dan and Phil themselves or someone has recorded a personal moment, everything is speculation and just fuel to an already bright and burning fire

Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Maya wrote:
Catallena wrote:With Phil in that ladybug shirt and Dan dusting off the awful leather and the cat ears Ariana Grande send them they could do a weird Miraculous Ladybug cosplay.
I was thinking the same, a new AU has risen.
The phandom collectively plays the role of Alya, who instead of trying to figure out who they are try to figure out whether they're together or not but in a more exciting way than this current boring going in circles discussion.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

I don't have much to say about them seeing what the phandom rewatching certain parts of their videos via analytics. But I'll say this, do they really need to look at the analytics on YouTube to see what parts are getting rewatched the most/well received moments though? If you just go though their tumblr tags you can already see what parts of the video has been gifed and reblogged the most. Their fandom makes it quite clear what parts they liked to rewatch the most across all social media. Unlike other YouTubers, Dan and Phil have that advantage of not having to actually go look at the stats of what was most rewatched in a video directly, in my opinion. So to me, them seeing the analytics on a video would be no different than going onto to tumblr and seeing the same thing. I don't really feel uncomfortable about them knowing that or really have a say in how they feel since I don't know how and if that bothers them to begin with.

Also a bit off topic but does tom always talk about his analytics in his last week videos? Because I don't watch him and I only see people mention it when he discusses deppy.
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
melon lord
morning quiff

confusedpanda wrote:I don't have much to say about them seeing what the phandom rewatching certain parts of their videos via analytics. But I'll say this, do they really need to look at the analytics on YouTube to see what parts are getting rewatched the most/well received moments though? If you just go though their tumblr tags you can already see what parts of the video has been gifed and reblogged the most. Their fandom makes it quite clear what parts they liked to rewatch the most across all social media. Unlike other YouTubers, Dan and Phil have that advantage of not having to actually go look at the stats of what was most rewatched in a video directly, in my opinion. So to me, them seeing the analytics on a video would be no different than going onto to tumblr and seeing the same thing. I don't really feel uncomfortable about them knowing that or really have a say in how they feel since I don't know how and if that bothers them to begin with.

Also a bit off topic but does tom always talk about his analytics in his last week videos? Because I don't watch him and I only see people mention it when he discusses deppy.
I think because you can use analytics to see what parts interest your audience but it becomes strangely "corporate" when you notice that your touchy feely moments are the ones that get the most attention. I mean, we know it, they know it, but seeing it in actual "cold" statistics seems almost voyeuristic. As you said you just have to go to tumblr, but that's also applicable for any Youtuber, tumblr is THE place for the fandoms to express their admiration. Septiplier, Pewdiecry, Polygrumps, shipping thrives on tumblr so it's almost pointless to separate deppy from that crowd. But unlike the other ships I mentioned, Phan is more than just a casual ship, in a way it literally fuels their business and income.

I wouldn't be surprised if some crusty high-person was like "we NEED you to intensify the touching and looks! do you SEE the numbers?!" *slams fist on table* "you guys are a goldmine! the fans love it! look at these sales, these views, the sub increase after PINOF!" *takes out a giant writing board with graphs and analytics* "see this moment at 2:17 when you touched? look at that replay spike!"

exaggerated scene but you know what I'm trying to say :lol: I'm NOT saying DnP are corporate drones before anyone accuses me of it, I'm just saying that it becomes kind of uncomfortable when you see that the friendship/relationship/activity between two friends has actual results and financial benefit not just for them but also for a string of other people, too. Deppy being cute funds the merch store, it pays for Phil's brother, heck their entire Youtube schtick funded a tour and prop people and choreographers and musicians and some poor soul who had to play as Dil on stage. :lol: Point being, seeing numbers and analytics = it's not just about admiring two nerds having fun in their bedroom. It becomes so much more than that, and they know it

gnostic
stress mushroom

melon lord wrote:
confusedpanda wrote:I don't have much to say about them seeing what the phandom rewatching certain parts of their videos via analytics. But I'll say this, do they really need to look at the analytics on YouTube to see what parts are getting rewatched the most/well received moments though? If you just go though their tumblr tags you can already see what parts of the video has been gifed and reblogged the most. Their fandom makes it quite clear what parts they liked to rewatch the most across all social media. Unlike other YouTubers, Dan and Phil have that advantage of not having to actually go look at the stats of what was most rewatched in a video directly, in my opinion. So to me, them seeing the analytics on a video would be no different than going onto to tumblr and seeing the same thing. I don't really feel uncomfortable about them knowing that or really have a say in how they feel since I don't know how and if that bothers them to begin with.

I think because you can use analytics to see what parts interest your audience but it becomes strangely "corporate" when you notice that your touchy feely moments are the ones that get the most attention. I mean, we know it, they know it, but seeing it in actual "cold" statistics seems almost voyeuristic. As you said you just have to go to tumblr, but that's also applicable for any Youtuber, tumblr is THE place for the fandoms to express their admiration. Septiplier, Pewdiecry, Polygrumps, shipping thrives on tumblr so it's almost pointless to separate deppy from that crowd. But unlike the other ships I mentioned, Phan is more than just a casual ship, in a way it literally fuels their business and income.

I wouldn't be surprised if some crusty high-person was like "we NEED you to intensify the touching and looks! do you SEE the numbers?!" *slams fist on table* "you guys are a goldmine! the fans love it! look at these sales, these views, the sub increase after PINOF!" *takes out a giant writing board with graphs and analytics* "see this moment at 2:17 when you touched? look at that replay spike!"

exaggerated scene but you know what I'm trying to say :lol: I'm NOT saying DnP are corporate drones before anyone accuses me of it, I'm just saying that it becomes kind of uncomfortable when you see that the friendship/relationship/activity between two friends has actual results and financial benefit not just for them but also for a string of other people, too. Deppy being cute funds the merch store, it pays for Phil's brother, heck their entire Youtube schtick funded a tour and prop people and choreographers and musicians and some poor soul who had to play as Dil on stage. :lol: Point being, seeing numbers and analytics = it's not just about admiring two nerds having fun in their bedroom. It becomes so much more than that, and they know it
They have their own company.

For sure they would be under pressure from sponsores re: sponsored content and from BBC for radio 1 content, but in their own world, their PR managers and staff can suggest, not demand. Unless they have an epic business loan from a big bank which involves phan fuel as part of business covenants, which ngl i would sell my soul to read.

They put "open wide for Captain Lester" and "Stalking him until he loves you" and countless others into their baby Tatinof. Long before that there were blindfolded make up challenges and whatnot. A couple of weeks ago Dan literally twerked on Phil.

I think the matter of worrying whether they are comfortable with phan fueling a good part of their views is begging to be closed.
melon lord
morning quiff

gnostic wrote: They have their own company.

For sure they would be under pressure from sponsores re: sponsored content and from BBC for radio 1 content, but in their own world, their PR managers and staff can suggest, not demand. Unless they have an epic business loan from a big bank which involves phan fuel as part of business covenants, which ngl i would sell my soul to read.

They put "open wide for Captain Lester" and "Stalking him until he loves you" and countless others into their baby Tatinof. Long before that there were blindfolded make up challenges and whatnot. A couple of weeks ago Dan literally twerked on Phil.

I think the matter of worrying whether they are comfortable with phan fueling a good part of their views is begging to be closed.
I know they have their own company, I was exaggerating to make my point, at least trying to explain why it makes me uncomfortable the idea of analytics and statistics

because to me the word/meaning of "statistics" and "analytics" sounds calculated and mathematical, it's how I think of it, and mathematical sounds like "not impulsive"

also it extends to other youtubers because they will obviously see that there are huge spikes in analytics when deppy are in the video, which further extends the notion that so many youtubers use them for views/subs

itsonlybeth
sofa crease

000dia000 wrote: I find this interesting as deppy also look at their attention spikes and all the little spikes on certain touchy-feely or eye contact moments they have, they're statistically more aware of everything than those who just read the comments
It makes sense that they do this, and now I feel incredibly exposed but how do we know they look at the spikes? Have I missed something?
~ fight me you ceramic bitch ~