Dan & Phil Part 35: knock knock, who’s there, i hate you

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert
Pronouns: she/her

(gif source: hiphan)

Carry on banting!

Also, if you haven't yet cast your votes for the 2016 IDB Forum Awards, please do so here! Voting closes at 11:59 PM (UK time) on December 31st.
busy being happy~
Sakura Selfie
rainbow nerd

Awww Dans little face in that gif is adorable. Mildly offtopic I wonder what the ratio of Dan/Phil/Dan&Phil profile pics is on here? It seems heavily skewed towards phil to me but that might be just because I notice his pics more.

@coffeepenguin I actually thought phil saying she for toto/frisk was quite progressive for him? Toto had been on a date with alphys who seems to be female? I can't remember if he said that before or after the date though tbf.
coldnnights
tol bean

i love that part of the video, and Phil's little "i hate you"
Sakura Selfie wrote: Mildly offtopic I wonder what the ratio of Dan/Phil/Dan&Phil profile pics is on here? It seems heavily skewed towards phil to me but that might be just because I notice his pics more.
I don't know but it really does seem like most of them are Phil but i might just be noticing his pictures more like you, whoops. :lol:
That's sum good phuel for my demon phannie needs
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

I think Dan has more photos posted here but Phil's tend to get re-post/re-quote again and again whenever he post a new photo.
tylerrjoseph
butt chair

is......this the right time to say knock on wood?
--> platform 7, manchester picadilly station
lishachi
eclipse shirt

oqua wrote:Image
(gif source: hiphan)

Carry on banting!

Also, if you haven't yet cast your votes for the 2016 IDB Forum Awards, please do so here! Voting closes at 11:59 PM (UK time) on December 31st.
voted! and thanks for using my suggestion, was such a cute moment :D
:biflag: :blackheart:
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

I am very sorry, fancybum, if that's how you saw my words. It was never my intention to accuse Dan and Phil of being fake (although, I do sometimes question their integrity, but it's not the case right now), I merely wanted to share my observations and, if I'm lucky, get some responses from the people of this forum about what Deppy believe in, how do they see the world, or, to put it simply, what kind of people they are. I don't mean it as in "good people" or "bad people", of course I think they're good people, otherwise I wouldn't be spending my time and my money on them.
To illustrate my point, for example, for me personally there are some instances when I don't really see the difference between two terms for something and/or I know I'm influenced by my native language, but I wll tailor the use of these terms depending on the person I'm talking to or my audience if it's a public meeting. I don't see it as beeing fake, I see it as being accomodating, but you may disagree, of course.

Now, you say the "slips" that I mentioned stand out to you and aren't representative of anything, I am not so sure, that's why I'm asking. About Tsunderplane in Undertale, Dan says it's an anime stereotype of a girl and when Phil asks if a boy can be tsundere, Dan answers that even a plane can be tsundere. Then, there was a live show of Dan's, I can't to save my life remember when exactly, when he said something like "you can be whatever gender you like, be a banana for all I care", some people, including on here, were bothered by it. Again, when I say "bothered" about me or other people, I don't mean "offended", I mean "noticed and had some kind of a negative reaction" - and felt the need to discuss it with others to see if they notice the same thing. You gave your opinion, I'm very grateful.
Sakura Selfie wrote:@coffeepenguin I actually thought phil saying she for toto/frisk was quite progressive for him? Toto had been on a date with alphys who seems to be female? I can't remember if he said that before or after the date though tbf.
After. But Toto/Frisk was on a date with Papyrus before, too, who is definitely male. I wonder if Phil really understands non-binary gender, though, there were some interesting observations about the last Akinator video by BisexualShoeMarriage
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
000dia000
emo goose

People misspeak a lot. There's nothing more to it than that.
:cactus:
MoonPride
moon room

What are the possibilities that Dan has joined Phil in the IOM, he has been rather quiet on Twitter? Maybe my phan goggles are reading too much into things.
dannonfill
spork
Pronouns: they/them

Sakura Selfie wrote:Awww Dans little face in that gif is adorable. Mildly offtopic I wonder what the ratio of Dan/Phil/Dan&Phil profile pics is on here? It seems heavily skewed towards phil to me but that might be just because I notice his pics more.
excuse me for being an off-topic nerd, but I’m a slut for data and this idea intrigued me. So uh I went ahead and charted the stats below
I only looked through the list of members with more than 4 posts, as opposed to the 900+ registered haha. This obviously isn’t concrete stuff, as people can change icons whenever, but I found this an interesting waste of time anyway ImageImage on a whole, most users' icons are unrelated to Deppy, with Dan as runner-up. Looking specifically at D&P tho, Dan icons are the majority, followed by Deppy together, and then Phil. Tbh I wouldn't've guessed Phil to be the least used. As I thought I'd seen more Phil icons too! I'm sure it's because there are the least icons of solo Phil, so when an icon is of just him, it stands out (as you said sakura selfie). What is that called, baader-meinhof, confirmation bias? oh geez, am I analyzing the board itself now? I'll stop
... let's talk about house plants.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

dannonfill wrote:
Sakura Selfie wrote:Awww Dans little face in that gif is adorable. Mildly offtopic I wonder what the ratio of Dan/Phil/Dan&Phil profile pics is on here? It seems heavily skewed towards phil to me but that might be just because I notice his pics more.
excuse me for being an off-topic nerd, but I’m a slut for data and this idea intrigued me. So uh I went ahead and charted the stats below
I only looked through the list of members with more than 4 posts, as opposed to the 900+ registered haha. This obviously isn’t concrete stuff, as people can change icons whenever, but I found this an interesting waste of time anyway ImageImage on a whole, most users' icons are unrelated to Deppy, with Dan as runner-up. Looking specifically at D&P tho, Dan icons are the majority, followed by Deppy together, and then Phil. Tbh I wouldn't've guessed Phil to be the least used. As I thought I'd seen more Phil icons too! I'm sure it's because there are the least icons of solo Phil, so when an icon is of just him, it stands out (as you said sakura selfie). What is that called, baader-meinhof, confirmation bias? oh geez, am I analyzing the board itself now? I'll stop
Thanks for making this.
Not surprised that there are more Dan icons than Phil ones, but it still makes me a bit sad.
bee
phabergé

dannonfill wrote:
yasss analyses
Also my icon (and username) is related to Phil and him talking about bees, does that then count as a Phil icon?

@the topic of deppy in general: I'm having withdrawal symptoms after Gamingmas as well
nephilimcat
woodland creature

bee wrote:
dannonfill wrote:
yasss analyses
Also my icon (and username) is related to Phil and him talking about bees, does that then count as a Phil icon?
Interesting Either users with Phil icons are more active or they really stand out more because there are less of them :confused: I'd also be interested if it's similar with the usernames but I guess we would need to make a poll for that because some usernames aren't obviously Deppy related (and even some profile pics) like bee's.
pulvis et umbra sumus
fancybum
senpai

coffeepenguin wrote: To illustrate my point, for example, for me personally there are some instances when I don't really see the difference between two terms for something and/or I know I'm influenced by my native language, but I wll tailor the use of these terms depending on the person I'm talking to or my audience if it's a public meeting. I don't see it as beeing fake, I see it as being accomodating, but you may disagree, of course.

Now, you say the "slips" that I mentioned stand out to you and aren't representative of anything, I am not so sure, that's why I'm asking. About Tsunderplane in Undertale, Dan says it's an anime stereotype of a girl and when Phil asks if a boy can be tsundere, Dan answers that even a plane can be tsundere. Then, there was a live show of Dan's, I can't to save my life remember when exactly, when he said something like "you can be whatever gender you like, be a banana for all I care", some people, including on here, were bothered by it. Again, when I say "bothered" about me or other people, I don't mean "offended", I mean "noticed and had some kind of a negative reaction" - and felt the need to discuss it with others to see if they notice the same thing.
The tsundere thing still isn't registering to me. They're familiar with anime stereotypes and have come across countless girls in anime that act like that. I think Phil asking whether it can be other than girls is a good thing as he's trying to expand his understanding of something. I took it as he sees it's not really a good thing (and they took the time at the beginning of that vid to disclaim the game is full of potential for offense) and wanted to establish it's not just a girl thing. Dan answering that a plane can be also isn't the same as his banana comment (which agreed: yikes. very poorly chosen words) since there's.. literally.. a tsundere plane in front of them on the screen.. He got the point across that it doesn't just have to be girls and then went for a joke (relevant to the game they were playing in that moment, not just a weird dismissive comparison).

And the accommodating thing: it bothers you? Or what. Them adjusting their language based on audience feedback shows that they're the kind of people who care about offending or bothering people and do what they can not to. Maybe Phil doesn't understand non-binary gender, but is that something to be bothered by when he attempts to be sensitive to the way he uses language to be as inclusive as he knows how? I think they're open and accepting of all kinds of people (whether they understand them fully or not) and do what they can to be socially educated, but they can't know everything. I guess I don't really understand what kind of insight to them you're looking for that you can't have gotten from just watching and following D&P themselves. They're kind and they try to use non-exclusionary language and promote being yourself, and they're learning as they go like everyone else.

Oh and I didn't say they're not representative of anything, they're just not enough for me to start questioning how woke they really are and to what nefarious ends they pretend to be (but I only read that into what you wrote, so that's on me).
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

dannonfill wrote: excuse me for being an off-topic nerd, but I’m a slut for data and this idea intrigued me. So uh I went ahead and charted the stats below
This is very interesting, thank you! There are many solo pics of Dan that I love, and the same for Phil (namely, his most recent selfies ), but I'm such phan trash that I can't bring myself to use an icon with only one of them in it. :gg: So my icon will probably always have them together (this post will be hilarious in hindsight if I ever change...)
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

fancybum wrote:
coffeepenguin wrote: To illustrate my point, for example, for me personally there are some instances when I don't really see the difference between two terms for something and/or I know I'm influenced by my native language, but I wll tailor the use of these terms depending on the person I'm talking to or my audience if it's a public meeting. I don't see it as beeing fake, I see it as being accomodating, but you may disagree, of course.

Now, you say the "slips" that I mentioned stand out to you and aren't representative of anything, I am not so sure, that's why I'm asking. About Tsunderplane in Undertale, Dan says it's an anime stereotype of a girl and when Phil asks if a boy can be tsundere, Dan answers that even a plane can be tsundere. Then, there was a live show of Dan's, I can't to save my life remember when exactly, when he said something like "you can be whatever gender you like, be a banana for all I care", some people, including on here, were bothered by it. Again, when I say "bothered" about me or other people, I don't mean "offended", I mean "noticed and had some kind of a negative reaction" - and felt the need to discuss it with others to see if they notice the same thing.
The tsundere thing still isn't registering to me. They're familiar with anime stereotypes and have come across countless girls in anime that act like that. I think Phil asking whether it can be other than girls is a good thing as he's trying to expand his understanding of something. I took it as he sees it's not really a good thing (and they took the time at the beginning of that vid to disclaim the game is full of potential for offense) and wanted to establish it's not just a girl thing. Dan answering that a plane can be also isn't the same as his banana comment (which agreed: yikes. very poorly chosen words) since there's.. literally.. a tsundere plane in front of them on the screen.. He got the point across that it doesn't just have to be girls and then went for a joke (relevant to the game they were playing in that moment, not just a weird dismissive comparison).

And the accommodating thing: it bothers you? Or what. Them adjusting their language based on audience feedback shows that they're the kind of people who care about offending or bothering people and do what they can not to. Maybe Phil doesn't understand non-binary gender, but is that something to be bothered by when he attempts to be sensitive to the way he uses language to be as inclusive as he knows how? I think they're open and accepting of all kinds of people (whether they understand them fully or not) and do what they can to be socially educated, but they can't know everything. I guess I don't really understand what kind of insight to them you're looking for that you can't have gotten from just watching and following D&P themselves. They're kind and they try to use non-exclusionary language and promote being yourself, and they're learning as they go like everyone else.

Oh and I didn't say they're not representative of anything, they're just not enough for me to start questioning how woke they really are and to what nefarious ends they pretend to be (but I only read that into what you wrote, so that's on me).
Thank you for elaborating. About what I'm looking for here, I'm honestly sometimes very bad at reading other people, so I have to rely on others, that's part of why I'm interested in D&P in the first place, so I can safely analyze their behaviour to the max before damaging my relationship with irl friends (already done that, need to train some more before trying to befriend other people).

I'm not bothered by them being sensitive and accommodating, that's a good thing, of course, I'm trying to understand if they do it consciously, or they go back and forth on some issues, or I'm being too critical, or what. I won't really hold what they say in ls against them, although it's interesting to sometimes compare it with videos, but I think, we all agree that videos get edited and everything they put out there is the way they want it to be, at least at the time of making it.
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
dannonfill
spork

bee wrote:
dannonfill wrote:
yasss analyses
Ahh, I just put you down for 'other'. But I did count stuffed wombats & lions towards Phil haha. References are a tricky thing.
I'm glad other people found that interesting. if I had the time I'd love to try to really get to the bottom of it all
... let's talk about house plants.
Sakura Selfie
rainbow nerd

dannonfill wrote:
Thank you so much for making this! It popped into my head because it felt like I'd seen a lot more phil profile pics but again it could just be because I notice him more or because people with phil profile pics post more often? Idk but I really am surprised that more people have dan pics so I guess you learn something new every day!
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

coffeepenguin
I didn't notice the apparent 'misgendering', but I think its an interesting topic. I do agree that D+P sometimes fail in their attempts to be progressive. I think they're pretty good with gay stuff (not too heteronormative), but when it comes to gender I would guess that they don't have much experience. It's quite interesting though as I know Dan wants to be progressive and understanding, and yet he still made that 'banana' comment.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Possible reasons Dan isn't tweeting:

- He's playing the genocide route of Undertale. He'll emerge sometime mid-January with a soul deadened by the amount of pixelated murder his hands have committed.
- He's with Phil on the Isle of Man.
- Romantic getaway with the secret girlfriend he met on his secret tinder profile.
- He's with Phil in London already, both of them graduated ninja school and can travel entirely undercover now.
- He's made a Christmas tradition of breaking his phone and can't get it fixed.
- The wifi/phone service is just epic bad this year.
- He's with Martyn on the Isle of Man. #dartyn
- He's too busy contemplating which IDB Awards categories to vote for, has no time for tweeting.
- They eloped on Boxing Day. Honeymoon in Japan for the new year.
- This year he's decided to focus on his holiday time on the true reason for the season: bonding with Colin the dog.
annetamiau
lady door

alittledizzy wrote:Possible reasons Dan isn't tweeting:

- He's playing the genocide route of Undertale. He'll emerge sometime mid-January with a soul deadened by the amount of pixelated murder his hands have committed.
- Romantic getaway with the secret girlfriend he met on his secret tinder profile.
- He's with Phil in London already, both of them graduated ninja school and can travel entirely undercover now.
- He's too busy contemplating which IDB Awards categories to vote for, has no time for tweeting.
- This year he's decided to focus on his holiday time on the true reason for the season: bonding with Colin the dog.
Or... Dan and Phil are busy moving to their new house. Dun dun duuuuun.

Now for real, while I would like for them to be on the IoM (because it would be sweet), I bet Dan's either playing Undertale or in London (with Phil, because it's the 29th already).
Last edited by annetamiau on Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
DryCereal
koi pond

- Moving - he's busy organising all the new storage they finally have.
- FFXV
- Been kidnapped by a demon/stalker/Nick Jonas
- They got a puppy, and Dan is stuck house-training/cleaning up "accidents".
- They got a puppy, and Dan has completely forgotten about his pre-puppy life cos of the fuzzy little fluffball.
- Secret project #325543675 - in space. Super-top secret.
Last edited by DryCereal on Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
MoonPride
moon room

Secret Tinder Profile, that one is my fave lmao!
ismelindsey
tol bean

MoonPride wrote:

"Secret Ninja School" oh lord :lol:
The neighbors are gonna call the police again- Phil Lester 2k16
https://twitter.com/LindseyGOffical
papierklemmen
flower crown

i think if he went to the IoM we'd have the evidence by now, the last (and only? idk) time they went there they were spotted all over the place: in the airport in london, on the plane, in the airport on the IoM (even tho those were just fanaccounts/tweets and not pics)... however it's possible that he went there after graduating the aforementioned ninja school and that's why no one spotted him 8-)