Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Lol yeah kind of a downgrade. :lol:

But please let's not be dramatic about how they ~chose~ Caspar over Depz or anything :roll: I don't think D&P were even in the running for this year, 2016 was obviously their last. And isn't switching hosts after 3 years fair? They switch the 'real' hosts all the time, hosting award ceremonies simply isn't a steady job. There's not much to be sad over, it's even possible D&P themselves didn't want to return after 3 years.

But it's definitely proof that it's a near era for D&P.
human wrote:what is it with the BBC assuming all of these YouTube stars will automatically have any talent or magnetism with radio and television.
Broken record at this point, but the BBC have nothing to do with The Brits. They're broadcasted on ITV.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

I want to rant here as well coz I really don't like Caspar's voice. I don't care that Deppy will not do this gig this. I never knew the show existed before I stanned D&P. But gurl this a total downgrade. (Low key wishing that the views of the online stream will be poor.) Caspar sounds like he has a lisp. I can never understand what he says and I work with people with different accents. My Japanese students can enunciate better than him. :facepalm: if they want a yotuber, Joe is a btter choice.

I really enjoy Deppy's hosting gigs so I hope they do at least one this year. Here's to hoping that Dan and Phil focus on their Youtube channels for 2017.  
human
dan hand trash

Catallena wrote:
human wrote:what is it with the BBC assuming all of these YouTube stars will automatically have any talent or magnetism with radio and television.
Broken record at this point, but the BBC have nothing to do with The Brits. They're broadcasted on ITV.
Aaah, true, apologies! I am clearly just still harbouring bitterness over how the Internet Takeover went down lol.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

serious downgrade for the brits what the heckie
:transheart:
uglyamerican
woodland creature

IDK, I like Caspar. His accent was a bit odd at first, but now it's easy for me to understand. He has a pretty good self-deprecation / faux-snob celebrity schtick, so *maybe* he can pull it off (but might be tough without editing...) Clearly the bits won't be as quirky as the D&P interludes, but I think ITV might be aiming for a less weird / more general-ish audience angle - or maybe Gleamfutures cut a better deal. Anyway, I'm hoping that the boys haven't been snubbed, and wishing Caspar the best of luck.

Side note: It's taken me three days to catch up on this discussion thread - good job people!
Last edited by uglyamerican on Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
basictrashfan
crusty sponge
Pronouns: she/her

MoonPride wrote:
fakelights wrote:So yeah, Dan and Phil are definitely not presenting the online Brit Awards this year...
They chose Caspar over deppy :shock:
Now (out of pure curiosity) I really want to see if the amount of viewers will go down or up for this..
hit me up on the tumbs
@basictrashfan
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

human wrote:
Catallena wrote:
Aaah, true, apologies! I am clearly just still harbouring bitterness over how the Internet Takeover went down lol.
lol same sis :platonic:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

fakelights wrote:So yeah, Dan and Phil are definitely not presenting the online Brit Awards stream this year...
Really? The Pineapple?
dontpanic
#relatable

Laney wrote:
dontpanic wrote:
I don't understand this man but I love him anyway.

This is so out of left field, but when phil doesn't let dan put shoes on tables and stuff, is that a superstitious thing or just a clean thing?

edit: whoops, alittledizzy, you beat me to it!
it's a superstitious thing, according to google putting new shoes on a table can bring bad luck or death :lol:
OOOH! Thank you I've been wondering ever since the christmas ditl video. :platonic: I swear, I'm in my 20s yet I still have the internet-ing skills of my grandmother, because I couldn't find the answer when I tried googling it
MoonPride wrote: Explains why 2017 is trying to kill him then :lol:

Re: Brit Awards

honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if deppy agreed not to do it this year, I don't think they were particularly snubbed. presenting is a pretty big process with the promos they would have to do and it's mostly up to them to write all the interview questions and to create some filler scenes etc. I think I remember Dan saying in a liveshow how he and phil aren't making any big commitments this year because of how busy they've been for the last two-odd years with the book and stageshows and stuff (i think this was a response to if they were going to vidcon, but BRITS would totally apply as well). They would already have to be preparing, and they JUST finished touring that is just so much they prob already feel burned out. Plus they wouldn't have been really available for prep meetings and stuff i bet with the broadcast station, it's more convienient for the brit ppl (lol brit ppl wtf) to get someone with an easier schedule. Plus casper just did some movie or whatever with that one gamer guy pewdiepie always shades, so he has a bit of buzz (i'm guessing? honestly i don't know casper very well).

I'm a lot like dan (minus the sass ) and I know after all those meet&greets alone I would hate to do a big project like the livestream, and Phil is such a laid back dude having so much going on at once must have taken a toll on him.

I've never actually watched the brits (*insert gasp here*), but I wonder if they might present an award this year like how they did at the teen award thing. honestly i want something like the dan/nick jonas hug to happen again. that was pure gold (dan and nick jonas's weird relationship/whatever-you-call-it will always be one of life's big mysteries :shock: ).

also I can feel a ridiculous need to spew out my theory of why I think they really ARE going to be focusing on youtube for a while, but my train just pulled into the station so I gotta leave it bubbling inside of me :cry:

Edit: FFS am I incapable of writing a short post :roll:
and fakelights that pineapple thing will always kill me
Last edited by dontpanic on Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

uglyamerican wrote:IDK, I like Caspar. His accent was a bit odd at first, but now it's easy for me to understand. He has a pretty good self-deprecation / faux-snob celebrity schtick, so *maybe* he can pull it off (but might be tough without editing...) Clearly the bits won't be as quirky as the D&P interludes, but I think ITV might be aiming for a less weird / more general-ish audience angle - or maybe Gleamfutures cut a better deal. Anyway, I'm hoping that the boys haven't been snubbed, and wishing Caspar the best of luck.

Side note: It's taken me three days to catch up on this discussion thread - good job people!
I think it's more likely it was a mutual agreement. I'm sure if they'd really wanted to, Dan and Phil could have nabbed a fourth year hosting - they were pretty good at it and pulled in a big crowd. If anything, I'd argue their audience is more committed than Caspar's is, regardless of size. I get the feeling Dan and Phil either didn't want to host this year (maybe they were sick of it? or maybe they want to move away from that sort of stuff?) or they were too busy with something else (another project? travelling? japhan 2.0?). Even so, I doubt the Brits were super devastated either, like you said I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to go a bit more mainstream, and Caspar's probably perfect for that. I guess we may never know what went on behind the scenes though, could have been anything really

edit: dontpanic beat me to it and said exactly my thoughts just much more articulate, whoops!
anushwa
crusty sponge

fancybum wrote:
Phantasy wrote: I wonder who "Santa" is that gave him the jumper and rainbow unicorn? He named everyone else, Dan, parents, brother... who else is close enough to gift those very Phil (yet very flamboyant gifts)—maybe Bryony & Wirrow, or Cornelia, or a secret santa he does with other friends? If not though, who else? Hot off the heels of #cardgate, I'd love to imagine Dan's parents also get him something—I mean, nothing would say "I approve of your non-traditional domestic situation and choice of life partner" as much as a rainbow freakin' unicorn (which, might as well be the brand mascot of LGBT+ pride).
My creep levels feel too high right now but
Bryony liked a tweet about a fan having the same rainbow tape as Phil (that she wasn't @'d in obv but it's cute she's reading his replies? maybe?) so it seems likely she/Wirrow gave him the rainbow unicorn. Otherwise what a random tweet it would be for her to pay attention to.
Also, going to see La La Land on a "magical" snow-laden night is just too lovely
(is this how you reply um) hah actually I think you might be talking about my tweet? (wow that's huge ugh) um if it is me you're talking about, it does sound sweet that she'd read the replies but I don't think that's the case hah.. She follows me so I think she just saw that in her feed (this is seem odd to me though, this was the first time she acknowledged any deppy related tweets from me! I did wonder if she gifted it to him or if she just found my reply cute, I am pretty cute.)
um I put that under spoiler because I don't really.. am i supposed to be......??? I just wanted to clarify ??? feel like im being a creep lol and it's only my second post on here ! yay !
"the greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return"
fancybum
senpai

anushwa wrote:
fancybum wrote: My creep levels feel too high right now but
Bryony liked a tweet about a fan having the same rainbow tape as Phil (that she wasn't @'d in obv but it's cute she's reading his replies? maybe?) so it seems likely she/Wirrow gave him the rainbow unicorn. Otherwise what a random tweet it would be for her to pay attention to.
Also, going to see La La Land on a "magical" snow-laden night is just too lovely
(is this how you reply um) hah actually I think you might be talking about my tweet? (wow that's huge ugh) um if it is me you're talking about, it does sound sweet that she'd read the replies but I don't think that's the case hah.. She follows me so I think she just saw that in her feed (this is seem odd to me though, this was the first time she acknowledged any deppy related tweets from me! I did wonder if she gifted it to him or if she just found my reply cute, I am pretty cute.)
um I put that under spoiler because I don't really.. am i supposed to be......??? I just wanted to clarify ??? feel like im being a creep lol and it's only my second post on here ! yay !
Ohhhh she follows you! Thanks for the added context; ok lol so not such a random tweet to notice then if it was right there on her timeline, so it could go either way on the gift. Sweet rainbow tape anyway.

Are we placing bets on when the meme video is coming? I'm going to guess we'll get it tomorrow and a gaming video on Tues. Ah reckless optimism.
dontpanic wrote: also I can feel a ridiculous need to spew out my theory of why I think they really ARE going to be focusing on youtube for a while, but my train just pulled into the station so I gotta leave it bubbling inside of me :cry:
I feel an equally ridiculous need to hear All The Theories so please spew away when you're free again.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
MoonPride
moon room

momoroki
glabella

MoonPride wrote:
Awh, I feel bad for him copping so much flack from the phandom now :/ I'm a little disappointed that we won't get more precious deppy moments but I hope he does well
000dia000
emo goose

even though I'm disappointed that deppy aren't hosting the Brits, I'm a little :roll: that people are kind of insulting Caspar about it, he got hired, let it be. I'm more excited by the fact deppy won't be awkwardly interviewing celebs with weird questions like what animal they would want to mate with or something. This actually seems better because at least now they'll focus on their own projects (hopefully). Though considering their upload schedule has only been one video for the first two weeks of 2017....I hope they pick up the pace...the frequency of uploads are at TATINOF rehearsal level if Dan does drop his video soon
:cactus:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

MoonPride wrote:
Oh yikes did he get harassed by the phandom? :?
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
MoonPride
moon room

Catallena wrote:
MoonPride wrote:
Oh yikes did he get harassed by the phandom? :?
Yeah it seems so
silverwinter
spork

000dia000 wrote:even though I'm disappointed that deppy aren't hosting the Brits, I'm a little :roll: that people are kind of insulting Caspar about it, he got hired, let it be. I'm more excited by the fact deppy won't be awkwardly interviewing celebs with weird questions like what animal they would want to mate with or something. This actually seems better because at least now they'll focus on their own projects (hopefully). Though considering their upload schedule has only been one video for the first two weeks of 2017....I hope they pick up the pace...the frequency of uploads are at TATINOF rehearsal level if Dan does drop his video soon
agreed, kinda rubs me the wrong way too. the comments about how he speaks/his lisp seem unnecessary to me, i'm sure the brits (or whoever) hired him bc he's competent enough to host it
blu
squish

phil is testing out the new community tab... anyone know anything about it?

dan has one too but he hasn't posted anything.

edit:i would post pictures but i'm on a phone
Last edited by blu on Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

This is exactly why I consider myself a fan of Dan and Phil but not part of the phandom. I know a lot of phans are great but I really don't wanna be associated with the people who go and harrass Caspar over him being the BRIT's online host this year. Gross. I enjoyed watching Dan and Phil's stream the last couple years and I don't like Caspar all that much but that's no reason to insult him. I'll just watch the regular show then and deal with the ad breaks. I'm interested in the ratings though. I'm not sure Caspar will be able to get as many people watching the stream as Dan and Phil did but I think he'll do well. Isn't Caspar also an actor outside of Youtube? If he's used to how mainstream media stuff works, he might even be better at dealing with celebrities than Dan and Phil were, I won't miss the cringy quizzes and questions at all. :?
secretagentphan
procrastinator

silverwinter wrote:
000dia000 wrote:even though I'm disappointed that deppy aren't hosting the Brits, I'm a little :roll: that people are kind of insulting Caspar about it, he got hired, let it be. I'm more excited by the fact deppy won't be awkwardly interviewing celebs with weird questions like what animal they would want to mate with or something. This actually seems better because at least now they'll focus on their own projects (hopefully). Though considering their upload schedule has only been one video for the first two weeks of 2017....I hope they pick up the pace...the frequency of uploads are at TATINOF rehearsal level if Dan does drop his video soon
agreed, kinda rubs me the wrong way too. the comments about how he speaks/his lisp seem unnecessary to me, i'm sure the brits (or whoever) hired him bc he's competent enough to host it
I 100% agree with this, it's bratty and rude to be tweeting Caspar hate. That's why the phandom has such a bad reputation. I'm disappointed it won't be Deppy but honestly I had a pretty big feeling they wouldn't be doing it this year. Maybe it was THEM who didn't want to host, but either way it's not Caspar's fault, and he's a funny guy so I wish him the best.

I do find it funny Dan and Phil kind of raked in the money for the past two years and are stepping back and focusing more on YouTube. Even my sister noticed this lol. Deppy are moving #confirmed
majitzu
angel bean

Has someone seen this hate mentions or are you making assumptions? Cause I've only seen the "I prefer D&P", "I'm not going to watch it then" type of comments
corn flakes
moon room

majitzu wrote:Has someone seen this hate mentions or are you making assumptions? Cause I've only seen the "I prefer D&P", "I'm not going to watch it then" type of comments
Yes apart from the few usual people, was he seriously bothered by the phandom? A few bothersome tweets would have been expected and probably taken over by his fans love.

I don't like caspar as youtuber but he makes sense in the brits pov, a big yotuber with a loyal following who is willing to work for real.
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

corn flakes wrote:
majitzu wrote:Has someone seen this hate mentions or are you making assumptions? Cause I've only seen the "I prefer D&P", "I'm not going to watch it then" type of comments
Yes apart from the few usual people, was he seriously bothered by the phandom? A few bothersome tweets would have been expected and probably taken over by his fans love.

I don't like caspar as youtuber but he makes sense in the brits pov, a big yotuber with a loyal following who is willing to work for real.
I saw quite some people tweeting him and the BRITs account about how "dissapointed" they were he was hosting this year and not Dan and Phil in the replies to the announcement. It's not exactly hate but it's pretty cringy and childish to tweet the new host how much you will miss the old ones and how he won't be as good. He wasn't really attacked a lot but there's a bunch of "I'm so sad, I don't want you to do it, I want Dan and Phil" stuff.
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

Birdie wrote:
corn flakes wrote:

I saw quite some people tweeting him and the BRITs account about how "dissapointed" they were he was hosting this year and not Dan and Phil in the replies to the announcement. It's not exactly hate but it's pretty cringy and childish to tweet the new host how much you will miss the old ones and how he won't be as good. He wasn't really attacked a lot but there's a bunch of "I'm so sad, I don't want you to do it, I want Dan and Phil" stuff.
I think it puts a lot of un-needed pressure on him as well. I am sure he will do fine. Sad to think that people find the need to tweet him and the Brits they aren't fans/want Deppy again.

Worse? He didn't have to call Deppy his dads. That made me throw up in my mouth a bit. :shock: