Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
karma_yeah
philussy

alittledizzy wrote:3500 words of timestamps, quotes, interpretations, and speculation. Maybe grab a cup of coffee or some tea before this one. (I did bold my favorite/most interesting parts, in case you want to skim.)
:42 - Dan clarifying that younow is who he will actually be interacting with. I'm so fascinated by how they're going about all of this multi-platform livestream integration. I wonder if younow stresses to them to try and drive people to the actual live feed or if that's just Dan wanting people watching it later on to understand that he's not live.
2:38 - New internet router. He starts talking about things that happened to disconnect the internet, and I immediately think of Dan accusing Phil is masturbating too enthusiastically and breaking it.
4:18 - "I said next to you for six hours, said Daisy. When? Oh - was that Harry Potter? Cool." Immediate recognition, neutral tone and swiftly moving on. How hyper aware of being by a fan was he? How much did that add to why Sunday was stressful to him?
5:27 - Starts talking about meme video. "And I only lost most of my sanity." Over one hundred thousand submissions. Beginning trend of how he talks about the meme submissions: "A rabbit hole of a kind to put your head down. I saw some shit in that inbox." I imagine this relates to what he says later about there being a line that he needs to stay on the right side of.
6:50 - Evan Peters jumper. Why would people be angry over him wearing it? Does he think people get angry with his crushes becoming memes? If so I think he has a skewed perception on that.
7:30 - We don't know if Pete Wentz unfollowed Dan because of the gaming tweet, but timing was right. "High percent chance that Phil did get me kinkshame unfollowed by one of my teen idols."
8:50 - Describes it as a "harrowing, emotional experience" - this sounds genuine. I think Dan in his meme video was reenacting genuine emotions, recreating what he genuinely felt when he saw it f. I don't know that I like that but I don't think his overacting is rooted in fabrication.
10:26 - "Slightly wanting death" as he looked at memes and laugh-wheezed. This is something he repeats throughout the liveshow, and I think in his mind the waiting for/wanting death is him laughing at a mindset that he's familiar with. I don't think it's 100% literal or 100% a joke. I think it is exactly what Dan says he does later in the liveshow, laughing at his own issues because that is healthy for him.
10:57 - "Not supposed to be interacting with you" in the youtube livechat.
11:33 - The last liveshow got 600k views. He seems to assume those people don't know liveshows exist and are mostly new viewers. My assumption would just be that those people would have rewatched it somewhere else later, and now go to his channel.
13:36 - Describing other people's reactions to the video. "Waiting for death" used as a signifier of someone's interpretation of his attitude, again not literal but also not completely dismissive.
14:28 - "Sometimes I forget that this sense of humor, this whole like, sarcastic all the time, self-deprecating, openly-laugh-at-all-of-your-mental-health-problems - which is a good thing that shows that we're all about being real with our problems, because some people say oh it can't be good for you, being all joking about yourself all the time, but I think it's the complete opposite. The people with these self-aware, self-deprecating sense of humors - just think about it, what does it say? If you can joke about your problems in a way that some people feel like 'am I allowed to laugh at this?' what this shows is that you're aware that you have issues, you acknowledge them, and you don't let them define you, and you're willing to talk about them and find them funny, and it's actually a very healthy attitude."
15:23 - "Therapy with Dan. Indeed."
16:32 - "My hair doesn't want to be straight. Insert jokes. So here I am. Wavy Dan is rising."
16:53 - "Just like you." His tiny grin here indicates he knows exactly what that person in the chat is responding to, but all Dan says next is "Thank you."
17:03 - "You're all saying in a way like, awww, don't be ashamed of your hideous flaw." Jesus, Dan. This - this is how Dan processes compliments. It's not just a compliment. He looks at it from all angles to figure out how valid the compliment is, how it can be interpreted as not really a compliment. I think his list of reasons why he shouldn't take a compliment to heart is probably extensive.
17:08 - "Not supposed to be looking." re: youtube chat, the promotes younow.
18:38 - dinof has returned, the next thing on his and Phil's agenda is gaming videos. Leads into promoting Phil's video. He makes a point to say they're true stories and the reenactments/storytelling aren't exaggerated.
18:36 - Third casual use of "I want death."
18:45 - Talking about photoshopping the selfie from Harry Potter, and celebrities photoshopping pictures.
20:05 - Proud of the thumbnail for the memes video.
20:55 - Describes the process of picking out memes as watching "an embarrassing slideshow of all the things that have happened."
21:22 - Dan is an introvert who needs to be alone to recharge. I appreciate him explaining introvert vs extrovert to anyone who might not quite get the concepts. Dan and Phil not going outside is a trope of their own making but when Dan speaks seriously about not leaving the house there's often a sense of pity or disbelief from people instead of awareness that it's just their (Dan, especially) version of recharging.
21:55 - "Don't live in a black and white universe. You can be all over the place."
22:50 - He did a quiz that said he's an INFJ, and seems to be trying to make a point that the kind of person who would take the quiz to begin with is usually that personality type.
23:45 - La La Land talk.
24:48 - Whiplash is one of his favorite movies.
25:37 - "My earrings! They're gone."
26:25 - Actually crying in the video? It was the triangle of tiredness, happiness, sad. "That g-spot of emotion, that's what I hit at the end of that video."
26:41 - Loved La La Land, but not as much as Moulin Rouge or Book of Mormon.
27:20 - He cried at the end of La La Land.
28:00 - Disneyland story, about his mum getting him out of school for a week in January and Disneyland Paris being completely empty. "I had like, the best time ever." His parental mentions have been positive two weeks in a row, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.
29:48 - He got an unconditional for Manchester because he got a really great personal statement. I enjoy when he relates something positive back to university, as opposed to when he talks about leaving it.
31:30 - Lego box story. "LEGO sent me and Phil each - even though we live at the same address - some LEGO Batman merch." Dan's disdain for getting LEGO merch is interesting, considering he spent four hours putting together iron bead art a couple weeks ago.
34:30 - Sherlock talk
35:00 - "[reading from chat]'Johnlock, ffs.' Really, really? Okay, lets not go there."
36:15 - Dan giving his stance on why he can't really go into detail on controversial topics: "What are other topics that are risky? Ooh, politics. You know, you can give top level things, but I can't really go into depth. Dan, do you agree with this politician? I go yes or no. Well, the world's not as simple as that. Maybe you disagree with some policies, maybe you agree with some ways that they conduct themselves, maybe you think that Obama is a good person, you think that he's a good politician [but] disagree with some other things, but if you just go like - if someone was go to 'I like Hillary' 'I like Trump' then it's like [blargh noise at the screen]. Know what I mean?"
37:50 - "Is your first video a sensitive topic? I am a sensitive topic, because apparently it'll make me cry."
38:10 - Answers a question by someone who doesn't care about politics by explaining that they should appreciate life until they start, because they'll be in a state of perpetual screaming. Accurate.
39:06 - Says Black Butler is okay.
39:23 - Cursed Child conversation begins.
42:03 - Dan finds stories about time travel annoying because it's pointless. I agree, but I also like this insight into what he likes in a story - progression, narrative, maybe more than characters. Phil seems to be the opposite, he's expressed how he likes relationships in shows more than action.
42:31 - "That's legit your stage show." That he laughs at this made it such a cute moment.
43:37 - "'Dan you're so boring.' Well, stop watching." Honing in on the negative amidst overwhelming praise. #justdanthings
43:40 - Black Mirror reference.
43:48 - Mentions side channel video he was going to make, but Alfie did it first. Why was Dan going to do an unboxing on his side channel? Is this indicative that he's actually trying to use it, maybe for more than just a home for liveshows?
44:40 - He will be surprised if the world is still functional in fifty years. I wonder how Phil, with his aversion to talking about death and attachment to the people he love not aging, feels about Dan holding opinions like that?
45:18 - Dan eager to point out how his mindset has changed from 18 to 25. "In 2017, you kind of stop being a dick."
47:45 - "Many colors really suit me, but that's on the outside. On the inside, the only color that suits me is black."
49:00 - "Do you ship scorbius?" "Yeah. I do. And all of you that think you ship scorbius and then haven't seen the stage show, your life is tragic. I saw the hug irl. Joking. But no, seriously. [mumbles] Good actors." A good old fashioned joe-king, aww. Wants to acknowledge liking something homoerotic, maybe doesn't want it to be forever attached to his brand and inescapable to the point that he no longer even likes it because it's become more associated with his fandom in his mind than the thing it started out as being.
49:50 - Mentions the Google Pixel, jokes about spon, but is still using the iphone 7.
50:20 - Piano.
50:35 - Gets a compliment about the piano and is extremely dismissive. 'You're so good!' said Andrews. Oh my god, were those eleven notes that I played, some of which were wrong 'cause I forgot already, amazing? I am so amazing at piano. Can you believe how amazing I am? Honestly. Other people that play the piano should be really jealous of my ability to just pummel out those seven notes."
51:36 - Gets someone pointing out he got the notes wrong and responds equally dismissively/defensively to the critique as he did the compliment. "Melina, I was stood up, and I literally started learning it about half an hour ago. Am I amazing, or am I a dork? Welcome to the internet, people. Do you think you could survive this maelstrom? Imagine yourself, a dog - a peaceful person - a chill, swaggy human of the earth - at one with nature, but also an intellectual - purveyor of fine memes - decide hey, I'm just gonna learn this thing on the piano, why not? You're learning it. And then imagine, all of a sudden - thousands of opinions attack you. People are saying you're amazing! Then somebody else says, you're shit! How do you deal with that? How do I deal with that? And the answer is simple: I'm simply dead inside, and expect nothing. Not recommending that to you, but it really works for me. Just, the less attached you are to the physical universe, the less serious you take anything.But it requires many months of meditating face down on a carpet to really appreciate this perspective and reach that level of despondent enlightenment." I wonder if Dan is taking the opportunity to say some of these things because he does actually think it's a new audience, a chance for him to present himself to a group of people who don't normally watch the liveshows, and how much the chance to forge a new impression of himself outside of dinof appeals to him.
52:55 - "I'll keep the peace sign sometimes. But I should try to just do like, other faces." After what he said in the meme video about the peace signs being a coping mechanism, I love what this statement stands for. He's not under any illusion that he'll stop relying on convenient and familiar poses during settings where he's feeling anxious, but he wants to try to brand out a little.
53:18 - Yuri is his favorite YOI character. I hope someone who is more into YOI than me comes back and comments on what this could mean, and why Dan might identify with or like Yuri best.
54:15 - "I'm in my twenties and puberty just hasn't finished for me." Because he can't grow a beard, thinks he'll be thirty before he can. "Basically, me and puberty was like - congratulations, you're 6'3"... the rest will come."
55:06 - Anime opinions.
55:25 - Someone says they relate to his last video, and he asks what they relate to them goes on a tangent about how the people laughing at when he does something wrong comes hand in hand with lots of people who love and respect him. He describes it in a cyclic way, like realizing that his job is to make people smile makes him smile, but doesn't negate the negative feelings that come along with it either.
56:30 - "I don't want to know. The less I know the better, to be honest. Much like the meme video, there's a certain amount I should be aware of and just - not. So lets make sure we always keep on the right side of that thing." I genuinely believe that there are pockets of fandom that Dan and Phil both strive to avoid. I don't think his desire to keep tapped in relates to scrounging around in the dark corners of intense relationship speculation, or probably even sexuality speculation.
57:00 - Probably going to Vidcon LA. Not sure about Europe, because he and Phil just did Europe.
57:22 - Talks about Phil and Pokemon.
59:35 - Dan admits he is Slytherin, and Albus is now his favorite character so he doesn't feel bad about being Slytherin.
1:00:16 - Terrarium. He spent "nearly an hour" arranging moss, so it looked like a tiny garden inside the glass sphere. When hanging it, the moment he let go, the rope snapped.
1:02:17 - "And the thing was, Phil was like - Dan, you had a very intense week making the meme video, and then Harry Potter was really, really long, and then you watched the Sherlock episode, so Sunday wasn't the most relaxing. So you should enjoy this Monday, and I was like - well, I've got this terrarium, I'm just going to be calm and I'm going to make this little terrarium and it's going to be really relaxing. And I was like, la la la... I was listening to the La La Land soundtrack. Hung up this terrarium, and fucking - [shattering noise]. And I was like, I bought that. Cost like thirty quid. Spent an hour making it. Really excited. Every time I was going to look over to it, I was going to think - I made that with my bare hands, isn't that nice? It's just very aesthetically pleasing. Phil walked in and just saw me stood in silence - like, it was really the last thing that I was clinging to in life, was this terrarium. And then it was just metaphorically in a million pieces in the floor. Then Phil walked in and I was just staring at it and we looked at each other and laughed for like, an hour. Again, much like the end of my top Dan memes of 2016 video, it was one of those laughs like - this is so funny and yet I am waiting for death, physically, the man or genderless entity that is the spectre of death, to come if he wants to come collect me I'm open to it. I'm sat here. I built a Batman lego watch. I am badly learning to play a song from a musical on piano. If death wants to come and say, you wanna go? Then we can just go. Hashtag just dan things." This says so much about the calming/grounding role Phil has potential to play for Dan, and how much he lives up to that potential. He understood where Dan's stress levels were at, suggested Dan take the day off (possibly altering a schedule they'd already discussed?) and then when the terrarium broke, diffused what could have been a very frustrating/upsetting moment for Dan by laughing about it with him.
1:04:20 - The gas is fixed. The person drilling might have stopped.
1:04:50 - Someone comments on Dan being more energetic in liveshows, he explains that it's because this is on youtube. He's used to liveshows being more chill, but since he's aware it's going on youtube he has youtube-appropriate energy. It's interesting that Dan seems to have a definite concept in his head of what his liveshow audience is, and a different idea of what an audience watching on youtube is. He feels relaxed by younow, but judged by youtube. "I'm sure over time I'll chill more."
1:06:10 - New years resolution is to fix his tumblr layout, branding overhaul - he specifies youtube banner and facebook picture as far as "branding" which reminds me of him clarifying to someone on twitter once that by branding he meant aesthetics not content.
1:06:28 - Doesn't want to change his facebook because it'll be something people will comment on. Someone else pointed out that facebook might stand out to him in this regard because you can't subtly change a facebook picture, and people can literally comment on it, unlike twitter.
1:06:49 - Starts fidgeting with his watch and stops looking directly at the camera in advance of what he says next. Considering he's five minutes over, I feel like he had the low level of anxiety that comes with knowing he had a point he wanted to make and having procrastinated it as long as he could.
1:06:51 - "2016 was a crazy year for me and Phil, and we want 2017 to be a lot more chill, a lot more youtube focused. So now that I've done my first youtube video, Phil's done his, we're gonna do some gaming videos on Dan and Phil games. And then we're gonna just... do some life things." Some very weighted 'we' in that statement right there. He pairs doing his first video with Phil's first video, eradicating any lingering doubts that they don't conceptualize and film as a unit even for individual channels, and then continues on with the plural reference to doing 'life things.'
1:07:31 - "'Get some storage,' said Stevie." He immediately smiles, the same beaming-smile he has had in the past when people ask about storage. I don't doubt he knows what the word is code for at this point, and he's certainly not discouraging the idea. "Yes, get some storage, that literally is on the agenda." Looks down and laughs, still fidgeting with the watch. "Find out if there's a better way to live and have loads of crap at the same time."
1:07:32 - Starts talking about earrings. Resumes addressing the camera directly, stops fidgeting with the watch. His entire posture and how he's sitting changes completely as soon as he's done with the 'we' statement and he calms noticeably.
1:09:48 - Can't muster it with building a new terrarium.
1:10:06 - Reiterates what the liveshows are supposed to be, and how they differ from videos. I still get the impression he is viewing this as an opportunity to talk to people who don't know him without making a thing of it.
1:10:30 - Calm Dan liveshow ending, reassures audience that it's okay to laugh at him, wishes people luck, tries to give generic good advice.
This is really amazing! Thank you so much for all the time and effort you put in

I especially enjoyed your insights: 10:26 his deep self-awareness with the "waiting for death"; at 22:50 - I think he's pretty explicit, clear (and imho, accurate) that he is an introvert; and at 1:06 about his awareness of what "storage" is code for and "doing life things". I hadn't noticed the body language you picked up on, and now his comments seem particularly intriguing.

For me this was probably his most open and forthright ls ever. Looking forward to 2017
What goes around, comes around Image
apathy
sad dimple

alittledizzy wrote: 31:30 - Lego box story. "LEGO sent me and Phil each - even though we live at the same address - some LEGO Batman merch." Dan's disdain for getting LEGO merch is interesting, considering he spent four hours putting together iron bead art a couple weeks ago.
I know there are many more important/interesting things but THIS. Plus the little charmander they built out of nanoblock.
But obviously he wouldn't bother with kid's toys, what a ridiculous thing that someone might think he'd like a bunch of nonsense like that. :lol: (The true offense here was that it wasn't LEGO Pokemon.)
That's my socializing quota for the month up.
uglyamerican
woodland creature

Just a few quick random notes from the LS (I'm gonna have to watch it again, because I was involved in an intense debate [about politics] and I wasn't paying close enough attention to Dan. My bad.)

Anyway, at one point after covering, then uncovering his camera, the color balance was p e r f e c t. Then it went back to its normal washed-out settings. He needs to find that balance. Do it for humanity.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I didn't think that "La La Land" was as super fantastic as Dan (and everybody) seems to be saying. Don't get me wrong, I love Ryan Gosling and all - but I guess that I'm a film school nerd and feel that nothing can ever top "Singin' in the Rain" as a motion picture musical. But we're totally in agreement about director Chazelle's last movie "Whiplash" - that was an awesome movie that everybody needs to see. Maybe I'll have to watch "La La Land again.

#WavyDan - this is the way he needs to keep his hair, even if he'll require a haircut every two weeks.

Dan mentions that he is 6'-3" (in reference to allegedly still being in the throes of puberty because he cannot grow (a lot of) facial hair.) So 6'-3" it is - now go change the danandphilshop website.

Was it me, or was he spending less time with the shout outs? I hope it's a trend - they're not my favorite feature of the LS.

The earring discussion. I missed Dan talking about it, but back in the day, if a guy had an earring in his right ear, that was a signal to others that he was gay. I don't think that's true anymore.

That is all.
flurry
living flop

uglyamerican wrote: This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I didn't think that "La La Land" was as super fantastic as Dan (and everybody) seems to be saying. Don't get me wrong, I love Ryan Gosling and all - but I guess that I'm a film school nerd and feel that nothing can ever top "Singin' in the Rain" as a motion picture musical. But we're totally in agreement about director Chazelle's last movie "Whiplash" - that was an awesome movie that everybody needs to see. Maybe I'll have to watch "La La Land again.
Same! I liked it but I didn't get the brilliance of it that people are gushing about. It was marketed as the sort of classical musical but I felt it wasn't really (add to the fact that there were only four sung songs??) - still it's nice that Dan and Phil enjoyed it together. I like the fact that Dan enjoys musicals.

This is outdated but I really liked the meme video - until the end where Dan started yelling and my ears started bleeding. It seems like he actually unintentionally worked himself up intl real tears?? I was a bit take aback at that moment - of all videos to cry on his channel, it's this one! And yes I don't think Dan faked his reactions - they're probably how he felt when he saw the memes for the first time and now he's recreating it because he didn't film his reactions in real time that's all.

As for the LS I haven't seen it so I'm getting to it! Also does anyone know how they got tickets for cursed child when it's supposedly sold out till 2018? I might be visiting London in may and I'm desperate for tickets - and seeing that they watched it makes me want to go even more! Anyone here has any ideas? I live like halfway across the world so it's not like I'm in London everyday - to see it would be amazing!
silverwinter
spork

mbti's literally my favorite topic ever so i apologize for dragging this on lol

sentinel and rizzo i definitely agree that dan's not an infj. honestly any time someone takes an online mbti test and gets infj, my inner mbti nerd cringes a little bc this is almost always a mistype. when they say infj is a rare type they truly mean rare, and so it's always been funny to me that SO many people online are supposedly infjs when it's also the rarest type...doesn't exactly add up (and then people make bullshit reasons like "infjs are more likely to use the internet/be interested in mbti"...which is hilariously pretentious omg). honestly online mbti tests need to stop being so shitty and rigging the tests in favor of NFs. sooo many supposed Nfs are actually SFs bc of this bias.

and yeah i agree that dan's not a feeler. people seem to think that feeling=emotionality and thinking=logic which isn't exactly true (though i understand why they might think so, mbti is VERY misleading with its naming). feeling is more focused on morals and beliefs and values and thinking is more based on logical principles and data. i always use the example of dan's existential crises to explain my viewpoint here. dan is someone who recognized a logical problem in the world (that our lives are ultimately meaningless and that, in the grand scheme of the universe, people as individuals have no purpose) which he deducted...bc it makes logical sense. obv it's not the ideal way to look at the world, but logically, it makes sense. and that's how high-functioning mbti thinkers work. it's not about how emotional you are - you can still be the most emotional wreck in the world and be a thinker.

personally i believe that dan's an introvert - specifically an istp. which is an unpopular typing but one that makes sense imo. istps have dominant introverted thinking (which is evident by dan's overthinking about the universe and his purpose as a youtuber) and inferior extroverted feeling. imo he's not an infj bc infjs are very emotionally aware of other people's feeling - which dan isn't. he's aware of his own but bc his feeling is his inferior function, he's unaware of other people's feelings (cue the story about the time he gave a friend a candy bar as a gift and she gave him a meaningful representation of their friendship - a classic example of an intp/istp).

and the reason i don't think he's an intp is bc he doesn't have many intuitive qualities. i feel like sometimes people automatically type someone as intuitive even when they show no intuitive traits purely bc intuition is prized in the mbti community and you're seen as inferior if you're a sensor. which leads to a lot of mistypings.

and finally i feel the need to defend mbti a little captainspacegoat and yupitsme. mbti is discredited for a couple of reasons. firstly, people mistakingly look at it as a way to box people into sixteen personalities and find it restricting and limiting. except mbti doesn't claim to be a full analysis of personalities - it's just supposed to show a specific way that our brains work. the problem occurred when people started equating it to personality - mbti has more to do with brain processes than outward behaviors oe traits (which is why websites like 16personalities are so awful). also a lot of scientists don't seem to understand mbti past the four letters - which is an incredibly rudimentary and inaccurate way to look at mbti anyways as the cognitive functions are the most important aspects of the theory.
felucca
truth bomb

Hey, you guys remember that ad Dan did in 2015 talking about his first work experience? (danisnotonfire's First Time | Dan's Work Experience | Ad by MoneyStuff)

Yeah it's been deleted.

Anybody got a copy?
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
majitzu
angel bean

felucca wrote:Hey, you guys remember that ad Dan did in 2015 talking about his first work experience? (danisnotonfire's First Time | Dan's Work Experience | Ad by MoneyStuff)

Yeah it's been deleted.

Anybody got a copy?
Was it the one where he broke lots of dishes (i think) while trying to open a door?
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert
Pronouns: she/her

felucca wrote:Hey, you guys remember that ad Dan did in 2015 talking about his first work experience? (danisnotonfire's First Time | Dan's Work Experience | Ad by MoneyStuff)

Yeah it's been deleted.

Anybody got a copy?
I don't have a copy but this is very disheartening news lol.

Do you have to download a video to make gifs of it in Photoshop? If so, I wonder if anyone who made gifs of the video back in 2015 still has the video saved on their computer...
busy being happy~
hannah
butt chair

Yeah it's been deleted.

Anybody got a copy?
Apparently all of them were deleted?? :(
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

apathy wrote:
alittledizzy wrote: 31:30 - Lego box story. "LEGO sent me and Phil each - even though we live at the same address - some LEGO Batman merch." Dan's disdain for getting LEGO merch is interesting, considering he spent four hours putting together iron bead art a couple weeks ago.
I know there are many more important/interesting things but THIS. Plus the little charmander they built out of nanoblock.
But obviously he wouldn't bother with kid's toys, what a ridiculous thing that someone might think he'd like a bunch of nonsense like that. :lol: (The true offense here was that it wasn't LEGO Pokemon.)
You know if it had been Pokemon he'd have been all over it. I think it was most likely the Batman thing that he scoffed at.
fancybum
senpai

alittledizzy wrote: 1:06:49 - Starts fidgeting with his watch and stops looking directly at the camera in advance of what he says next. Considering he's five minutes over, I feel like he had the low level of anxiety that comes with knowing he had a point he wanted to make and having procrastinated it as long as he could.
1:06:51 - "2016 was a crazy year for me and Phil, and we want 2017 to be a lot more chill, a lot more youtube focused. So now that I've done my first youtube video, Phil's done his, we're gonna do some gaming videos on Dan and Phil games. And then we're gonna just... do some life things." Some very weighted 'we' in that statement right there. He pairs doing his first video with Phil's first video, eradicating any lingering doubts that they don't conceptualize and film as a unit even for individual channels, and then continues on with the plural reference to doing 'life things.'
1:07:31 - "'Get some storage,' said Stevie." He immediately smiles, the same beaming-smile he has had in the past when people ask about storage. I don't doubt he knows what the word is code for at this point, and he's certainly not discouraging the idea. "Yes, get some storage, that literally is on the agenda." Looks down and laughs, still fidgeting with the watch. "Find out if there's a better way to live and have loads of crap at the same time."
1:07:32 - Starts talking about earrings. Resumes addressing the camera directly, stops fidgeting with the watch. His entire posture and how he's sitting changes completely as soon as he's done with the 'we' statement and he calms noticeably.
There wasn't enough discussion about this (and you better believe I'll be watching Phil like a hawk today but in the least creepy way possible everything's fine). Dan is hyperaware of the time during liveshows, they both are: 1hr like clockwork, 40-45mins like clockwork. Going over is basically unheard of, let alone for 10 whole minutes. So this reading of 'he was putting off/building up to talking about something specific' is very very interesting. I remember one of the videos during gamingmas made me think they were on a schedule of some kind (for what, to what end, idk, but I felt like there was something very deliberate happening, A+ vagueness), and this just adds to that.

Why was it important to state, why did it need to be this liveshow in particular, why the (alleged) nerves. Because of a timeline that's in the works.. or I don't know! I'm intrigued and also hope they're doing whatever they're doing on their own terms and are fine. Sorry for the gibberish, but this has been on my mind and I want other peoples thoughts (gibberish or not I don't judge).

edit: even if you're in the camp of 'what are you on about none of this means anything' I want to hear it if you can muster the will.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Amiaw
interactive introvert

fancybum wrote:
alittledizzy wrote: 1:06:49 - Starts fidgeting with his watch and stops looking directly at the camera in advance of what he says next. Considering he's five minutes over, I feel like he had the low level of anxiety that comes with knowing he had a point he wanted to make and having procrastinated it as long as he could.
There wasn't enough discussion about this (and you better believe I'll be watching Phil like a hawk today but in the least creepy way possible everything's fine). Dan is hyperaware of the time during liveshows, they both are: 1hr like clockwork, 40-45mins like clockwork. Going over is basically unheard of, let alone for 10 whole minutes. So this reading of 'he was putting off/building up to talking about something specific' is very very interesting. I remember one of the videos during gamingmas made me think they were on a schedule of some kind (for what, to what end, idk, but I felt like there was something very deliberate happening, A+ vagueness), and this just adds to that.

Why was it important to state, why did it need to be this liveshow in particular, why the (alleged) nerves. Because of a timeline that's in the works.. or I don't know! I'm intrigued and also hope they're doing whatever they're doing on their own terms and are fine. Sorry for the gibberish, but this has been on my mind and I want other peoples thoughts (gibberish or not I don't judge).

edit: even if you're in the camp of 'what are you on about none of this means anything' I want to hear it if you can muster the will.
I still don't know if I feel like "life changes" and "find a better way to live" were inclusive statements or not. The way he said the last statement- no "I" or "we" leaves a lot to interpretation and it seems like every time the majority of people think something is going to happen (last joint live show) it doesn't.

I'd be interested to know what you meant about them being on a schedule during gamingmas. Other than the change in behavior I didn't really notice
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote:I still don't know if I feel like "life changes" and "find a better way to live" were inclusive statements or not. The way he said the last statement- no "I" or "we" leaves a lot to interpretation and it seems like every time the majority of people think something is going to happen (last joint live show) it doesn't.

I'd be interested to know what you meant about them being on a schedule during gamingmas. Other than the change in behavior I didn't really notice
I feel like you just contradicted yourself a bit there - you said every time the majority of people think something will happen, it doesn't - then in the next paragraph acknowledged their change in behavior during gamingmas. That, to me, is the something that happened.

If you're imagining that people think they're moving next week or something, then yeah that's probably not true. It doesn't have to be obvious, immediate, or shouted from the roof in order to count as meaningful change. Dan is talking about the entire year ahead of them and making broad statements that we involve him and Phil. Specifically. Him and Phil. Two people. He talked having done his first video, and Phil having done his first video, and their plans for the gaming channel, and then them doing life things. I have no idea why people would assume Dan is going to go from making such a pointed statement about them and their plans for the year, and then in the absence of any further pronoun assume he just mean only himself? To me it feels like one of those situations where people are finding reasons to "interpret" 1+1 to equal 3 because they don't trust the obvious.
bantstrash
delia smith

While Phil is more obvious about having things he wants to talk about in his liveshows (the props he has for each one like the cactus or whatever) I think Dan certainly has a plan for his as well.

I mean, they would be silly not to have a plan of what they are going to say or the liveshows would be super boring (although I'm sure some people think they are anyway). I also think that there are things they definitely want to say like promos for videos, and things that they think will fill up time so don't really need to be covered if they run out of time like music chat.

It is pretty unheard of for Dan to go a whole 10 minutes over the hour he usually does so there must have been something in there that he had to tell us. The two main things in that 10 minutes were:

1. The terrarium. It was funny and the main thrust seems to have been that he needs something to focus and calm him but also that Phil made everything better by coming in and laughing so maybe, Dan, you already have someone who calms and focuses you.

2. Plans for 2017. Both of them are going to be focusing on youtube and life things. This was very definitely a we statement.

Personally I think that it was the plans for 2017 that he wanted to tell us. I think it was with the intention of reassuring us that youtube is their main focus rather than preparing us for something else (like a relationship outing) but that unintentionally he reinforced to us that whatever life things they have going on, they have them going on together.

To clarify my bias, I ship them hard but I go backwards and forwards about whether they are actually together.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

fancybum wrote:

I agree. A lot. I don't know about the gamingmas video you noted, but they definitely are on some kind of schedule. Esp if they're expecting to make it to VidCon, which is poorly timed with the assumed rental cycle we think they're on.

To me, when he was listing off Phil video, Dan video, a few Gaming Channel videos... and then "life things". I'm almost-too-hopefully expecting Japhan 2.0 (or something relatively big for Phil's birthday) and then the big move. Like they're prepping for life changes right now. Which also supports your question of why did it have to be THIS liveshow? Because it's soon, I think. Very soon. And they have to start warming us up to it.

I'm just gonna settle in here and wait....
alittledizzy wrote:
11:33 - The last liveshow got 600k views. He seems to assume those people don't know liveshows exist and are mostly new viewers. My assumption would just be that those people would have rewatched it somewhere else later, and now go to his channel.
I think the same thing, which is why I'm mighty thankful for the last few minutes of his live show. I don't want him to assume that there are a bunch of "new" people and begin to close himself off in the outlet we all enjoy analyzing.

On the other hand, perhaps with his liveshows being available on youtube and this idea that his youtube followers might start watching them, his dinof vids may become more.... casual and open? Maybe he'll address life a bit more than he has recently. Or maybe..... this whole liveshow is just making me more hopeful than I should be. That's the theme of this post tbh.
alittledizzy wrote:
16:32 - "My hair doesn't want to be straight. Insert jokes. So here I am. Wavy Dan is rising."
I'm taking the subtext in this as it is meant to be taken and I am living for it. I'm here for a wavy 2017!Phan and all of their life changes.

Also, as a note to the Myers-Briggs stuff. By no means do I think the test is in any way valid, but I think it provides a fun way to dig into Dan's personality (and Phil's, though no one's touched on what his might be....)
Amiaw
interactive introvert

alittledizzy wrote:
Amiaw wrote:I still don't know if I feel like "life changes" and "find a better way to live" were inclusive statements or not. The way he said the last statement- no "I" or "we" leaves a lot to interpretation and it seems like every time the majority of people think something is going to happen (last joint live show) it doesn't.

I feel like you just contradicted yourself a bit there - you said every time the majority of people think something will happen, it doesn't - then in the next paragraph acknowledged their change in behavior during gamingmas. That, to me, is the something that happened.

If you're imagining that people think they're moving next week or something, then yeah that's probably not true. It doesn't have to be obvious, immediate, or shouted from the roof in order to count as meaningful change. Dan is talking about the entire year ahead of them and making broad statements that we involve him and Phil. Specifically. Him and Phil. Two people. He talked having done his first video, and Phil having done his first video, and their plans for the gaming channel, and then them doing life things. I have no idea why people would assume Dan is going to go from making such a pointed statement about them and their plans for the year, and then in the absence of any further pronoun assume he just mean only himself? To me it feels like one of those situations where people are finding reasons to "interpret" 1+1 to equal 3 because they don't trust the obvious.
I probably did contradict myself and that's because I'm confused. I also ship them and usually am pretty convinced they are "something" but I don't know what that something is. It will be interesting to see how this year plays out though
fancybum
senpai

Amiaw wrote: I still don't know if I feel like "life changes" and "find a better way to live" were inclusive statements or not. The way he said the last statement- no "I" or "we" leaves a lot to interpretation and it seems like every time the majority of people think something is going to happen (last joint live show) it doesn't.

Me too so I just searched 'timeline' to see where I even mentioned it and it was after the Akinator vid on the 11th (and in the next sentence I decided to lose my mind over what gamingmas was being called lmao so uhh fair enough the first thought was immediately forgotten):
me wrote:I was watching today's video and when it got to the lean in moment, my brain almost melted. How can anybody look at Phil in that moment and not see somebody pulling back from an expected kiss (and not in a bad way, just a 'we're filming, not right now' kind of way-- his little glance to see what Dan was going for, realizing it wasn't a kiss and continuing the bants), I feel like there is something very intentional going on. Beyond just intentionally loosening up and letting the chips fall where they may re: viewer/? perceptions etc. Every video. Every one. I don't even know what it means, but my immediate thought after this video was 'they're on a timeline', they're building to something. NOT A COMING OUT, but something on the horizon they're both aware of. I don't know, there's just something bigger picture happening behind the scenes that we're not aware of yet..? and it's exciting and wonderful and a little scary
I mean, whip out the tinfoil because that didn't really explain much, but I'll try to elaborate on what I think I was thinking. So, at that time, something felt like a 'schedule' because their change in how they acted together (less guarded etc) felt very noticeable and very deliberate. But the point was made that it only felt like that because we were getting so much content every single day. Which is true, but doesn't take away the fact that there was/is a change. Coupled with the many mentions of 'post-baking universe', I do think they're deliberately doing something; the baking vid marked a shift to them in how they would approach their work together. But maybe that shift doesn't have any kind of ultimate end beyond 'I'm tired of being so uptight all the time'.

BUT all of that and now this (maybe insignificant but maybe very much not) intentional mention of future plans/storage just feels like another piece to a puzzle. 'No surprises (career wise) planned this year, just focusing on YT' but they've still got something (non career wise?) happening. Which is most likely none of our business, but maybe they're dropping these hints to pave the way for when we inevitably find out (or they just willingly tell us). About? Yeah, maybe just moving. Together or not, I guess that's the grey area we'll always find ourselves in until it happens one way the other.
rizzo wrote:To me, when he was listing off Phil video, Dan video, a few Gaming Channel videos... and then "life things". I'm almost-too-hopefully expecting Japhan 2.0 (or something relatively big for Phil's birthday) and then the big move. Like they're prepping for life changes right now. Which also supports your question of why did it have to be THIS liveshow? Because it's soon, I think. Very soon. And they have to start warming us up to it.
(insert :michaelscottit'shappening: gif here)
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

bantstrash wrote:Personally I think that it was the plans for 2017 that he wanted to tell us. I think it was with the intention of reassuring us that youtube is their main focus rather than preparing us for something else (like a relationship outing) but that unintentionally he reinforced to us that whatever life things they have going on, they have them going on together.
I think this is definitely a valid interpretation. In my mind there's no doubt that he was talking about both of them, but who knows whether it is personal or professional. The combination of events (gamingmas, post-baking-universe mentions, the sense of being on a schedule people mentioned) make me think it's probably a mixture of both - but that part is definitely speculation and even if he means it professionally, as you said, it still says a lot.
papierklemmen
flower crown

sorry for being a combo breaker, but

Yeah it's been deleted.

Anybody got a copy?
did you find a copy? i'm sure someone who has a normal copy will eventually pop in, but for the meantime i could share one that has russian subtitles on it - might be a bit annoying, but it only covers the bottom part of the video, so.
malday
emo goose

ugh, now PJ and the rest of revelmode is doing that kawaii filter on instagram.
malday
emo goose

Chris is live on younow right now, Phil is gonna go live soon...
nephilimcat
woodland creature

Oh, Phil :facepalm: :shock: He really should come with a hazard warning :lol:
pulvis et umbra sumus
Lain
eclipse shirt

malday wrote:Chris is live on younow right now, Phil is gonna go live soon...
Chris bailed at the beginning of Phil's ls, but he's watching again.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Did he wait until I posted that to leave again? Come back
Sakura Selfie
rainbow nerd

He looked like dan in that picture he's just shown? I'm so confused because I would have thought it was dan if I hadn't literally seen him take the photo
uglyamerican
woodland creature

Did Phil change his LS day? For some reason I have Phil on my calendar alert set up for Sundays.

Anyway, I got one of those *instant impressions?* about Phil when he was doing the selfie for kawaii: if you put curly hair on him, he *might* look a bit like Cumberbatch's Sherlock.