Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Amiaw
interactive introvert

fancybum wrote::dogue: Dan and Misc Watch 2017
GIANT YouTube GIFT UNBOXING?!! (Week 2)

Prompted Dan Mention
25:45 (chat) You broke instagram (bc it sent out notifs multiple times for their selfies)
"Was it just me? Was it Dan as well?"

36:40 (chat) Did you get a terrarium?
“No, but I did hear Dan’s terrarium smash, which was the saddest smash I’ve ever heard because he was so into making it and then for all of his dreams to be destroyed.”

52:40 (chat) Dan memes of 2016
“Yes! I was in Dan’s video. The cereal situation happened, where I was exposed and he put it in a video. So now it’s in a video as well as on twitter. I guess I deserved it, I was eating his cereal, you know what happened.
It’s a good video, I loved watching that video. It’s so nice that he just reminisces on the entire year. It’s a good one to just sit down with a big mug of tea. I didn’t watch it before he’d finished editing it either, so it was like a surprise for me to watch it, which was cool. So yeah, Dan’s video, I’ve got a new video, new gaming video tomorrow.”
Unprompted Dan Mention
02:50 (tells 'setting chilli on fire' story, somebody save this man from himself)
4:00 “Dan walked in like, ‘what the hell is happening in here?’”
(About burning his finger) “I was sat there with my finger in a glass of water, and remember I posted that picture of Dan [etc], he could’ve got revenge, but he didn’t. He didn’t do it. I wasn’t going to say like ‘look you could take a picture of this and it would be revenge, but I let it slide. I let it slide.”

10:25 “Am I on LAP right now? I don’t know if this is working, this is like a whole new world. Dan helped me set it up."

16:10 “Me and Dan went into a bakery today and we had such a fail of interacting with humans. I don’t even know how it’s possible for us to be such fails. We basically wanted two cookies, and we came out with three cookies, a pot of jam, and polar bear cakes, because we were too awkward to say we didn’t want all this other stuff. [Phil accidentally agreed to getting a polar bear cake]
And Dan said, ‘yeah they are nice’ [so the clerk forced one on him one too]
I don’t know how the jam happened, that was Dan’s fault.

(i'm dying)

25:15 (About meitu selfies) “Dan did one as well. Dan’s evil senpai one was amazing”

28:15 “And YT, as Dan showed you, sent us these xmas presents, which are Adidas jackets”
29:30 “it reminds me of Dan’s Wildcats shirt”
(I can’t tell if he said that or just read it from the chat)
Neutral Dan Mention
08:20 “So today we have been filming some gaming videos. DanAndPhilGAMES is back in action” Made 2 vids today: 1 is a ‘classic game’ they’ve been requested loads but haven’t played before: fun, slightly stressful. Also a Sims vid. One out tomorrow, the next one… wait and see “a surprise time at some point”

36:20 (chat) misses tatinof
“Well you can go watch tatinof on Dan’s channel, it will be there forever so you can go relive the fun or the story of tatinof on my channel. Go watch how we made it. I was watching that just the other day actually, just out of nostalgia.
(still dying)

45:30 “We have a gaming channel, Dan and I”

53:15 Merch sale on danandphilshop.com, European merch being added before end of January.
Miscellaneous
07:40 “Someone’s on their period, good to know"
(is this a new thing, him reading this kind of thing out, maybe idk)

11:00 LAP got 1M subs, unboxes the play button for it
"look at this, look how big it is” #nocontext

11:50 “You’re the people that subscribed so I should be smashing this and sharing it between you like little birds. I should eat it and regurgitate it into your mouths. That came out weirder than I wanted it to."

15:30 Wants a red velvet cake for his birthday. Nothing else, just wants to eat an entire red velvet cake.

18:20 Got deep sleep nighttime spray because he’s been "having slight trouble sleeping recently, not like insomnia, but it takes me awhile to fall asleep. I think it’s because my brain is so creatively wired at the moment, I’m just like ‘ideas ideas ideas ideas ideas..’”
(ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what is he planning)

25:30 Says he didn’t get Hamilton tickets? Hmm, Dan made it sound like they he had..

27:30 (chat) Change your YT icon
"I like it, it’s classic. I haven’t had a YT icon other than that one.”

28:05 “Internally I am a deer in the headlights all the time”

29:45 Didn’t love Sherlock ending. "It was exciting but I was hoping for more of a mystery. I was disappointed."

30:40 Cursed Child thoughts
-Didn’t love the story, felt like it didn’t need to be 2 plays but loved being back in the HP world, amazing production and magic, etc. (had one of the same tricks he performed in tatinof so was excited he knew how they did it)
-"Actor that played Scorpius was amazing” but doesn’t know his name
(yet he’s following him on Twitter, get it together Phil)

32:45 “We saw someone outside that had read the script and they said it was like fan fiction but then they watched it and liked so maybe you’ll like it who knows"
[doesn’t mention Dan but knows we know they went together because of twitter, feels no need to clarify who ‘we’ is even to the now-expanded audience of these liveshows, k]
-Only read the first 3 HP books (the shortest three hmm). delet.

33:15 "I’m behind on the ships”

34:15 (chat) La La Land!
"I went to see La La Land last week." I I I.
“It’s all about LA and love and songs and ambition and making it in Hollywood.” Has been listening to the sound track, wants to see it again.

39:45 “2017, I’m gonna learn how not to kill houseplants, ok? That’s what I’m going to do.”
(chat) End their suffering.
*laughs* “I’ll set fire to the house, return them to the earth”

42:00 Very into the artist David Shrigley and bought a small version of his work. Much larger than he expected: a giant thumbs up lmao
“It’s the lengthiest thumb I’ve ever seen”
Doesn’t know where the flip to put it, “I’ll just put it in my room somewhere, I don’t know"
44:30 "I’LL JUST BUILD AN ENTIRE HOUSE AND PUT IT ON A PLINTH"

(is this one of those things we’ll look back on at some point like 'not Japan, a pan’ - building a house building a house the plot thickens)

49:00 Wearing rainbow socks that actually match

49:40 (chat) What are you gonna watch next on netflix
I’ve just finished [something Danish I don’t understand] S2, we actually stopped watching that for ages, I started that before the tour. I’m going to start watching The OA”
(yes please I want to hear their thoughts on the ending when they’re done because I don’t know what to think about it, really enjoyed the show, but what does it mean..)

55:00 “Why is my calendar in May”
YEAH WHY IS IT PHIL GO BACK TO JAPAN ALREADY
Phinal Tally: said ‘Dan’ 18 times

Dan and Phil Watch 2017 Week 2:

Dan mentioning Phil: 29/71.5 minutes = 0.41 per min.
Phil mentioning Dan: 18/56 minutes = 0.32 per min.
Thanks for this - I love seeing the tally at the end. Dan is still mentioning Phil more but it's unusual for Phil to bring Dan up so many times on his own.

I am living for all of the domestic anecdotes they are giving us this year -
New Years crafting and dog
The terrarium
Harry Potter
Phil and Dan's mom sharing dreams
The gas leak saga (although a little overplayed)
The bakery

And we haven't asked for any of these things- they did them together and shared them with us.
000dia000
emo goose

This is based on Phil's "deer in the headlights" comment:
What does this mean? How does it compare to Dan's recent comment of Phil shaking in the corner? Maybe Phil actually has the social anxiety that people diagnose Dan with. Maybe they both have anxiety but two people with anxiety don't suit the idea of one personal in a relationship being the "rock" maybe they're both an anxious mess. Maybe they have different difficulties, different coping mechanisms-maybe they look to each other in vastly different, or maybe very similar situations where they need each other for help? People always remark how they kind of drift together in social situations, gravitate together for protection and balance, understanding of each other's discomfort or unease. So, Phil helps Dan's social anxiety? No, they both struggle. They literally say how they both stay in the corner at parties.

Maybe I'm alone in finding this annoying, but I find it kind of insulting that Dan is kind of this childish figure who is some ball of sadness and has sweet sunshine Phil come and save the day from his poor, dark thoughts? (Fanfiction flashbacks of people writing existential crisis with no idea what it actually is, instead some watered down moodiness that's treated like chronic depression). I mean, not to focus on Phil here, but that's kind of the reason seeing as Dan's kind of got himself a following of "mental health experts" diagnosing him with anxiety,with the flimsiest of off-comments that while neurotic could still be from a sustained person. Yet, Phil makes these "off-comments" too, but Phil's a rock to some people as if there's no such thing as TWO people in a relationship/friendship/symbiosis that could POSSIBLY still both to be awkward in their own skin, be insecure, dependent on each other, self-doubting. They always need to paint one as some sort of rock and the other person as something fragile and unbreakable.
Instances I see this:
1. Phil influencing (or God-forbid in some instances, "saving" Dan from his depression of his teens and university). I always find that people say that Phil influenced Dan or helped Dan by becoming his "best friend" and being a mature, wise companion. What about Phil? How has Dan affected his positively? Well, (my opinion) but I noticed that Phil, after meeting Dan, has slowly become more "childish" as some people like to put it. (or I would put it, full of life and not pretending to dead inside for edginess). I noticed Phil became a lot more confidant in himself and in his videos, his character a lot softer, a lot more feminine. Dan's no fear of being himself and not aspiring to typical "masculine" behavior-them both laughing over Phil's "manly" present of a drill.
2. Voldy-people bitching about how Dan suffered/behaved, as if Phil didn't literally have a private video of himself released online? Yet made one public mention of it, then ghosted the whole thing. Then people treating Dan as the center of attention, as if he suffered from it. Maybe not acknowledging that his actions were to protect Phil more than himself? Who knows what Phil internalized from this incident, how he felt, yet we make fun of him and annoy him to be more open about his sexuality and personal life as if a person could ever really recover from something so soul destroying?
So, I went full demon here, but let's be honest about the discussion, being mainly Dan, and even my post discussing that. Don't worry, things will go back to Dan soon, and brief Phil discussion about how Dan is affected by him There. Done.
:cactus:
secretagentphan
procrastinator

@000dia000 I totally agree were too Dan-centric (myself included) and Dan certainly influenced Phil also (although Phil is more private about that which is why the phandom thinks it's only Dan). Not to bring up the voldy vid, but it was clear watching that video that Dan was Phil's first proper love. I took the deer-in-headlights moment as more he constantly doesn't know what to do, but it's open for interpretation!
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Interesting post, 000dia000. I don't have anything to add tbh, other than those are good points. Phil staying silent does seem to have led to people not thinking of how he felt.

The idea of him building a house made me laugh. My first thought was "with a flamethrower" due to his recent antics. So many opportunities to hurt himself, sawing wood, fitting electrical cables, it would be an absolute miracle if he survived and more likely he'd lose a limb or at least a digit. Jimmy0010's been fitting out his new flat, watch him if you're interested in someone doing DIY!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

000dia000 wrote:This is based on Phil's "deer in the headlights" comment:

What does this mean? How does it compare to Dan's recent comment of Phil shaking in the corner? Maybe Phil actually has the social anxiety that people diagnose Dan with. Maybe they both have anxiety but two people with anxiety don't suit the idea of one personal in a relationship being the "rock" maybe they're both an anxious mess. Maybe they have different difficulties, different coping mechanisms-maybe they look to each other in vastly different, or maybe very similar situations where they need each other for help? People always remark how they kind of drift together in social situations, gravitate together for protection and balance, understanding of each other's discomfort or unease. So, Phil helps Dan's social anxiety? No, they both struggle. They literally say how they both stay in the corner at parties.

Maybe I'm alone in finding this annoying, but I find it kind of insulting that Dan is kind of this childish figure who is some ball of sadness and has sweet sunshine Phil come and save the day from his poor, dark thoughts? (Fanfiction flashbacks of people writing existential crisis with no idea what it actually is, instead some watered down moodiness that's treated like chronic depression). I mean, not to focus on Phil here, but that's kind of the reason seeing as Dan's kind of got himself a following of "mental health experts" diagnosing him with anxiety,with the flimsiest of off-comments that while neurotic could still be from a sustained person. Yet, Phil makes these "off-comments" too, but Phil's a rock to some people as if there's no such thing as TWO people in a relationship/friendship/symbiosis that could POSSIBLY still both to be awkward in their own skin, be insecure, dependent on each other, self-doubting. They always need to paint one as some sort of rock and the other person as something fragile and unbreakable.
I love this post so much and I think all of the points you're making are very valuable ones, and deserve discussion. I am actually taking it out from under the spoiler cut, sorry, I just want to make sure it doesn't get absently scrolled past.

I think one of the reason they work together as a unit so well is that their anxieties manifest in different ways, with different coping mechanisms that they're capable of sometimes providing for each other. Maybe Phil is better with forcing polite small talk in a group of acquaintances, but Dan takes point on things like the angry dad at the book signing. Having a strength that serves counterpoint to someone else's anxiety triggers doesn't invalidate other areas you might feel anxious in. In the discussion about Dan people were quick to talk about and compare the differences in how they experience agoraphobia, but (in general; not specifically people involved in that conversation) fandom seems to need to view Dan and Phil in a certain way that fits a storybook narrative that does a huge disservice to the complexity of Phil.
000dia000 wrote:Instances I see this:
1. Phil influencing (or God-forbid in some instances, "saving" Dan from his depression of his teens and university). I always find that people say that Phil influenced Dan or helped Dan by becoming his "best friend" and being a mature, wise companion. What about Phil? How has Dan affected his positively? Well, (my opinion) but I noticed that Phil, after meeting Dan, has slowly become more "childish" as some people like to put it. (or I would put it, full of life and not pretending to dead inside for edginess). I noticed Phil became a lot more confidant in himself and in his videos, his character a lot softer, a lot more feminine. Dan's no fear of being himself and not aspiring to typical "masculine" behavior-them both laughing over Phil's "manly" present of a drill.
2. Voldy-people bitching about how Dan suffered/behaved, as if Phil didn't literally have a private video of himself released online? Yet made one public mention of it, then ghosted the whole thing. Then people treating Dan as the center of attention, as if he suffered from it. Maybe not acknowledging that his actions were to protect Phil more than himself? Who knows what Phil internalized from this incident, how he felt, yet we make fun of him and annoy him to be more open about his sexuality and personal life as if a person could ever really recover from something so soul destroying?
So, I went full demon here, but let's be honest about the discussion, being mainly Dan, and even my post discussing that. Don't worry, things will go back to Dan soon, and brief Phil discussion about how Dan is affected by him There. Done.
Just to add a couple potential situations to the list of ways :

- Phil didn't move into his own flat until after he knew Dan was going to be in Manchester, and after he and Dan had decided after Dan's first year they'd move in together.
- Phil not taking the BBC job when offered to him until he asked if Dan could join him.

And your second point is one want to slam a thank button down on. Anyone who thinks Dan was more upset by Phil than the vday video has some serious Dan-goggles on. They're different people who express emotions in different ways; if something is big/scary/upsetting to Phil, he's not the person who is going to broadcast it online. That doesn't negate the emotional impact something like that would have had on him though. Dan's behavior was probably a result of many things, but it's weird to see people not even consider that protecting Phil or trying to take the heat off Phil might have been a part of it.
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

Please vote for the next thread name here!
busy being happy~
KillerQueen
placenta

Hi! I've been lurking here for a long time. ;)
I wanted to ask about that DD google doc. I've stumbled upon the one protected with the easy password. I was pretty happy with the content of the said doc until I saw it hasn't been updated since December, plus, I found out there's another one with a pain-in-the-ass password. So, I've spent the whole day trying to find unknown parts of the password but had no luck.
I'm not asking you to send it to me, not asking for any hints, I just want to know, is the doc worth going through hell to get the password? I mean, is there a big difference between the easy-password-version and that one?
(It's such a shame that my first post doesn't bring anything constructive to the discussion, I promise I'll try next time)
kuensukki
janice from the shop

Instances I see this:
UM Dia I came on here to discuss the liveshow and literally saw about 5 posts about and thats all. I usually come here to post about Phil's liveshows because they really are beautiful and enjoyable and he does say alot of things that we don't take seriously because we dont think he has problems. He is categorized as a emotionally stable rock that's feelings shouldn't be considered because he's always smiling in front of the cameras and making sure everyone is smiling with him. Does that mean he doesn't deal with anxieties like the rest of us, no, its just that he internally copes with them. I found his statement so interesting because he was openly admitting to the world that he feels always in a state of alertness. Just because he's less of a "messy bitch" than Dan (not shading dan, just using it as means of comparison) doesn't mean he struggles any less and it's time people acknowledged and gave attention to it. I find Phil just as fascinating to talk about as Dan, just because he's covered in glitter and smiles doesn't make him an untouchable person we know nothing about.

Also thanks for bringing up the voldy point because that point is so very valid. All people tend to focus and empathize with is Dan but rarely do we see anything about Phil and his anxieties that must have occured when all his emotions and feelings were exposed to the world. He's not a robot (no matter how hard he tries to be:lol: ) and he must have dealt with alot of things. Any 2012 fan could tell the tension took a toll on him and he'd have several videos with dark circles and oily hair looking exhausted but most tended to look past that and only see the smile plastered on his face and think he's okay. The emotional vulnerability of Phil is a passion on mine and something I constantly look for since many think it doesn't exist, I disagree, it exists, its just takes a little more looking into to find it.

Same with the characterization of Phil in fanfictions. He's never the protagonist suffering with issues of anxiety of depression. He's always the knight and shining armor, someone who is almost fantasy like and untouchable. He's rarely given many personality characteristic then the basic nice guy with nice eyes which bothers me because I see a lot in that guy that I dont think many people pay attention to and its so frustrating seeing it continuously. Watching Phil's older university videos pre-Dan always give me insight on the type of person he was and how adored and endearing he must have been with his friends and family. Friends that still can't get enough of him and have stuck around and kept in contact for so many years.

Anyway the liveshow was enjoyable as always. I loved what starlight-still said about seeing so much life in him because I totally agree. He was so enthusiastic and friendly trying to make everyone happy and comfortable. He is like a warm blanket, a nerdy, dorky, plant loving and clumsy guy that really seems to cherish things he does. He feels like a friends in ls (even if Im a random Janice in the shop) and I feel like I can talk to him for days because he's really engaging and hilarious. He kept teasing about all the ideas swimming in that misshapen head of his and I'm literally on the edge of my seat on what's to come. I may be a demon but I also support the boys succeeding on their own projects and hope to see a solo phil project that integrates alot of his old ideas. I had so many golden one'liners from the liveshow that had me laughing out loud. Also him getting so many nice gifts from his friends and being excited at the prospect of sticking cacti on the wall was just too precious for words I also loved his opinions on Cursed Child, he seemed to have felt passionate after being dragged to be emotionally supportive for his hp fan bf :lol: :lol:

Another internalization of upbringing I noticed is him berating himself for going high-pitched when got excited by saying he shouldn't speak like that and instead, speak in a deeper tone. To me it seemed like something someone may have teased him on and that he then was more conscious/embarrassed of??

Also the whole selfie thing spoke volumes for me because I felt like an asshole for teasing him about his selfie face when it's the one he's more comfortable in. Actually watching that whole scene of him trying to take a selfie in front of us and getting insecure and immediately giggling/blushing and looking through the comments for validation was also super interesting to see. And him saying he's not that comfortable taking serious faced selfies because they looked silly therefore he always reacts to the camera with an expression may be that he's not entirely comfortable being seen through a serious lens (too bad Phil!) ;)

Overally really fun liveshow that improved my day (as always) :D :D
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

Today was long and not so fun and it was really nice to relax and watch such a nice liveshow when I got home. :D Not to mention the timestamps and commentary from you guys, ofc. His mood and energy level were infectious, and I liked hearing the little anecdotes he shared.
Hopefully he has no more flammable incidents any time soon, although his cooking story makes me feels slightly less bad about my own cooking. I may have set food on fire myself more than once and ruined some pots and pans. :?
blu
squish

Skylar wrote:i feel dumb for asking this but what is dd?
um yeah, what is dd? can someone explain?
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

blu wrote:
Skylar wrote:i feel dumb for asking this but what is dd?
um yeah, what is dd? can someone explain?
"Drugdeal", an password-protected archive with a recompilation of (almost) every dan and phil video, public, unlisted and deleted.
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

KillerQueen wrote:Hi! I've been lurking here for a long time. ;)
I wanted to ask about that DD google doc. I've stumbled upon the one protected with the easy password. I was pretty happy with the content of the said doc until I saw it hasn't been updated since December, plus, I found out there's another one with a pain-in-the-ass password. So, I've spent the whole day trying to find unknown parts of the password but had no luck.
I'm not asking you to send it to me, not asking for any hints, I just want to know, is the doc worth going through hell to get the password? I mean, is there a big difference between the easy-password-version and that one?
(It's such a shame that my first post doesn't bring anything constructive to the discussion, I promise I'll try next time)
No, it's not worth going to hell and back to figure out the "hard" password. The cherrypirates link (with the "easy" password) links to a document that has all the deleted/unlisted videos. The other one is mainly just a backup, plus it has links to videos which haven't been deleted. In short, the easy password is more than enough to experience the riches of the drug deal document lmao.

Also, here is an explanation written by Felucca about the drug deal:
felucca wrote:How can I watch Dan & Phil's deleted/unlisted videos?

The Drug Deal! http://cherrypirates.tumblr.com/

Explanations:
Are there two Drug Deal documents?
Technically yes, but the other one is mainly just a backup, in case the one above gets an angry Phil DM. ;)
When we talk about the Drug Deal, it is the cherrypirates link we mean.

What is the idea behind the Drug Deal?
Back when I started watching Dan & Phil it was very easy to find their deleted videos, as the popular phandom blog The Phan Directory still had a video archive up and running. I'm forever grateful to them for giving me (a pleb-y newbie!) the opportunity to catch up on D&P videos I would've otherwise missed and I was very sad to see their archive taken down in 2015, for the second and final time. The Drug Deal is us simply carrying on the tradition of in-phandom video sharing, with a number of extra videos added from various other sources, to create the most extensive and durable video archive so far in phandom history. Cheers.

Who can I share the Drug Deal with?
This is posted on a public forum for a reason! Share it with as many people as you like, after your own head. Dan & Phil have taken down phandom video collections just like this one many times before, so obviously don't share it with them or people you think might report it to them.

What happens if the DD does get taken down?
Backups, mate. But don't let that lull you into a false sense of security - copyright happens fast and hard.
Always download and save any videos you're interested in onto your own computer. That's the only place anything is ever safe.

Is there anything that's NOT included on the Drug Deal?
There's no vday video, soz. Too much of a risk to include it, and then there's the whole moral issue too. Consider it a phandom initiation rite to scour the internet for it on your own.

So... what's the password?
If you can't figure that one out on your own, perhaps you're not entirely ready for fetus phan. Just sayin'.
busy being happy~
malday
emo goose

Instances I see this:
I remember someone on this forum mentioning before how much grief and mortification voldy must have caused Phil, but i don't think the discussion ever picked up. And i agree, it must have been horrible for him to have something so personal be shared, picked apart and commented on.

I also agree with the idea that Dan's reaction was partly because he was protecting Phil. I think Dan was Phil's megaphone, and still is in some situations.

I never saw Phil as the "rock" until i started reading forums and blogs.
And i never got the impression that he was confident in anything other than maybe his creativity.
Like i said before, i always saw nervous ticks in Phil's behavior and the ques he gives Dan in interviews to take the attention away from him.
"Hypochondriac", "shaking in the corner", "deer in the headlights", yep he is definitely not a "rock" and not a robot.

And little comments by Dan like "you look fine Phil", "it's an endearing quality, we all like it" are really telling of maybe what insecurities Phil shares in private vs the well crafted confident persona he put/puts forward.
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

Wow, I really love this discussion!!

On the subject of Phil's reaction to the Voldy leak: I've done quite a bit of research in the past on the "timeline" of the Voldy unprivating, and it's really quite striking to see how it played out. (Here I'm talking about the original unprivating, on September 17th, 2011.)

Basically, it was unprivated at approximately 12:45 PM. As of 3 PM, Deppy were still seemingly ignorant of the unprivating, as Phil calmly tweeted another YouTuber about how "lots of people" seem to be having subscription box issues and he hopes hers are resolved soon.

The Vday video was deleted from YouTube at 3:40 PM, so we can assume that that's approximately when Deppy found out about it. At some point within the next fifteen minutes, Dan posted two replies to a Tumblr post containing the link to the video. His replies basically said that the video was made to troll people but they decided not to upload it. Then at about 4 PM he tweeted something innocuous about playing Mario Kart (presumably to flood people's timelines with replies to that, rather than any discussion of the video). Though at about 4:15, he replied to a tweet about Voldy, saying something like "no" (though I can't figure out what exactly he said, and he may have deleted that tweet quite quickly). By 4:37, he had DM'd the person who downloaded the video, asking her to take down all links and stop sharing it. (So like, while publicly he was tweeting normal fun stuff about playing Mario Kart, he was privately tracking down who exactly downloaded the video and ensuring that it didn't spread any farther.) At about 5:30, he tweeted another harmless tweet, which said- phil: *bursts into the room* "What's wrong??!!" dan: "...i was singing the ketchup song.." phil: "i thought you were having a stroke." At about 9:00, Dan made his "Truth or Dare" video available to watch (it had been uploaded a while ago, but apparently there was some kind of problem where you could only watch it if you had an account? So he finally fixed that). Then at about 9:15, Dan went on Vyou and answered a bunch of questions.

At 10 PM (six hours after Deppy presumably figured out about the unprivating), Phil broke his silence, so to speak: he first tweeted about a weird ad on Facebook, then replied to four tweets.

So in summary... For the six hours between 3:40 and 10 PM, Dan was constantly doing something: tweeting and interacting with fans to keep the attention on himself rather than possible murmurings about the unprivated videos, and simultaneously "handling with the situation" (posting an explanatory replies on Tumblr, figuring out who downloaded the video, getting the links taken down, etc.). Basically, it seems like Dan immediately went into like "action mode" — he handled everything, both dealing with the tiny subsection of the Phandom who knew about the leak and also distracting the rest of the Phandom to keep them from finding out about it.

And during that six-hour window, Phil was completely absent from social media (except for the fact that he was mentioned in Dan's "ketchup song" tweet, but for all we know that tweet was a total fabrication).

I think that if you read between the lines, it's pretty obvious that this was an instance where — although I'm sure both of them were upset beyond belief — Dan stepped up, took the reins, and was the "brave" one so Phil didn't have to be.
busy being happy~
swofro
angel bean

Instances I see this:
I come here to read about what everyone thought of Phil's lovely liveshow and stumble upon this gem. God bless.

I share the same opinion with you about everything, especially about voldy. I'm glad you brought this up because the reason why I fall in love with their relationship (assuming they're together obviously) is because of the way they supports and completed each other. They protect each other, back to back, the two of them against the rest of the world (yes, I am quoting sherlock. Shut up).

Phil is the kind of person who doesn't know what to do when he is abruptly faced with a problem (example: chilli burning, angry dad at tabinof, bird entering their kitchen in early hours in the morning), so I always look at Dan's action as protecting Phil. Because Phil is too nice (example: not speaking up when he actually want to say something in that vidcon(?) panel, buying polar bear cakes) to speak up and face a conflict head on.

Agree that they're each others rock, each other's shield and each other's knight. I have more things to say about this but I feel like I can't convey how I feel because of language barrier. So I will leave it to that.

I don't actually understand what it has to do with deer in the headlights. I thought he was talking about his selfie face :confuse:

Also, fancibum, I really like your tally count.
Love is forever
dontpanic
#relatable

Phil's laugh 15 minutes in made my week ngl
Usually his liveshows feel like smalltalk--still really lovely and enjoyable to listen too, but not much to revisit after the fact. This liveshow felt a bit less like "smalltalk" and more like a regular conversation, which I'm all for; more anecdotes and opinions, less shrimp please.
and fancibum your tallies make my life you're amazing
MoonPride
moon room

oqua wrote:Wow, I really love this discussion!!

On the subject of Phil's reaction to the Voldy leak: I've done quite a bit of research in the past on the "timeline" of the Voldy unprivating, and it's really quite striking to see how it played out. (Here I'm talking about the original unprivating, on September 17th, 2011.)

Basically, it was unprivated at approximately 12:45 PM. As of 3 PM, Deppy were still seemingly ignorant of the unprivating, as Phil calmly tweeted another YouTuber about how "lots of people" seem to be having subscription box issues and he hopes hers are resolved soon.

The Vday video was deleted from YouTube at 3:40 PM, so we can assume that that's approximately when Deppy found out about it. At some point within the next fifteen minutes, Dan posted two replies to a Tumblr post containing the link to the video. His replies basically said that the video was made to troll people but they decided not to upload it. Then at about 4 PM he tweeted something innocuous about playing Mario Kart (presumably to flood people's timelines with replies to that, rather than any discussion of the video). Though at about 4:15, he replied to a tweet about Voldy, saying something like "no" (though I can't figure out what exactly he said, and he may have deleted that tweet quite quickly). By 4:37, he had DM'd the person who downloaded the video, asking her to take down all links and stop sharing it. (So like, while publicly he was tweeting normal fun stuff about playing Mario Kart, he was privately tracking down who exactly downloaded the video and ensuring that it didn't spread any farther.) At about 5:30, he tweeted another harmless tweet, which said- phil: *bursts into the room* "What's wrong??!!" dan: "...i was singing the ketchup song.." phil: "i thought you were having a stroke." At about 9:00, Dan made his "Truth or Dare" video available to watch (it had been uploaded a while ago, but apparently there was some kind of problem where you could only watch it if you had an account? So he finally fixed that). Then at about 9:15, Dan went on Vyou and answered a bunch of questions.

At 10 PM (six hours after Deppy presumably figured out about the unprivating), Phil broke his silence, so to speak: he first tweeted about a weird ad on Facebook, then replied to four tweets.

So in summary... For the six hours between 3:40 and 10 PM, Dan was constantly doing something: tweeting and interacting with fans to keep the attention on himself rather than possible murmurings about the unprivated videos, and simultaneously "handling with the situation" (posting an explanatory replies on Tumblr, figuring out who downloaded the video, getting the links taken down, etc.). Basically, it seems like Dan immediately went into like "action mode" — he handled everything, both dealing with the tiny subsection of the Phandom who knew about the leak and also distracting the rest of the Phandom to keep them from finding out about it.

And during that six-hour window, Phil was completely absent from social media (except for the fact that he was mentioned in Dan's "ketchup song" tweet, but for all we know that tweet was a total fabrication).

I think that if you read between the lines, it's pretty obvious that this was an instance where — although I'm sure both of them were upset beyond belief — Dan stepped up, took the reins, and was the "brave" one so Phil didn't have to be.
I hadn't seen the voldy timeline so this is very interesting to me. I can imagine Phil was mortified and too upset to deal with the ramifications hence Dan stepping in and doing everything to protect Phil.
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: Phan Trash

oqua wrote:Wow, I really love this discussion!!

Phil must have felt horrible. Dan probably did all of that to diverse the attention of the phandom so the phandom will leave Phil alone and ask him instead.
secretagentphan
procrastinator

I am LIVING for this discussion! I always thought Phil must've taken the voldy unprivating bad, and Dan's aggressively defensive answers were to protect Phil. Even though in more social situations Dan relies on Phil, when it comes to confrontation (yelling at people at the cinema, Shay at Vidcon, calming down the angry Dad, ect.) it's clear it's Dan who is protecting Phil. It makes me wonder if a lot of sexuality denial (as in when he singularly said he wasn't gay) was also for Phil's sake. There's no way of telling but Dan seemed to be very comfortable and open about his sexuality publicly until around 2011/12. Could have to do with the following he gained too. It is sad though, because I think the reason Phil is so guarded with talking about Dan is because of that video unprivating. I couldn't even get through that video without watching it with a friend because it felt so uncomfortably invasive (I'm not trying to come across as high and mighty either, because I still watched it anyways). That video was SO intimate. He talks about FALLING deeply in love with Dan all from his perspective, he talks about their first kiss, their first date. It was probably hard to make for Dan, and then it got unprivated and thousands of people saw him pour his heart out like that. I still feel bad for both of them, but mostly Phil, because of that. Even if you think it was fake (but cmon let's be real lol) having that cringey and offensive of a prank go up still would be mortifying. I don't think they'd have the same reaction they had if that was the case, but that's a whole other discussion.
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

This is one of the more upsetting discussions I have read here. :sobs: Here's hoping the gaming video gets uploaded soon. I've been missing gamingmas so much. Does anyone have any idea what the vid might be? Phil gave a few hints in his ls iirc. I think he said it was heavily requested and very fun to play.
simmehchan
butt chair

secretagentphan wrote:I am LIVING for this discussion! I always thought Phil must've taken the voldy unprivating bad, and Dan's aggressively defensive answers were to protect Phil. Even though in more social situations Dan relies on Phil, when it comes to confrontation (yelling at people at the cinema, Shay at Vidcon, calming down the angry Dad, ect.) it's clear it's Dan who is protecting Phil. It makes me wonder if a lot of sexuality denial (as in when he singularly said he wasn't gay) was also for Phil's sake. There's no way of telling but Dan seemed to be very comfortable and open about his sexuality publicly until around 2011/12. Could have to do with the following he gained too. It is sad though, because I think the reason Phil is so guarded with talking about Dan is because of that video unprivating. I couldn't even get through that video without watching it with a friend because it felt so uncomfortably invasive (I'm not trying to come across as high and mighty either, because I still watched it anyways). That video was SO intimate. He talks about FALLING deeply in love with Dan all from his perspective, he talks about their first kiss, their first date. It was probably hard to make for Dan, and then it got unprivated and thousands of people saw him pour his heart out like that. I still feel bad for both of them, but mostly Phil, because of that. Even if you think it was fake (but cmon let's be real lol) having that cringey and offensive of a prank go up still would be mortifying. I don't think they'd have the same reaction they had if that was the case, but that's a whole other discussion.
What happened at Vidcon?

"I think stalking someone to become their friend is rather weird" - Phil Lester, 2006
MoonPride
moon room

mysterylovescompany wrote:This is one of the more upsetting discussions I have read here. :sobs: Here's hoping the gaming video gets uploaded soon. I've been missing gamingmas so much. Does anyone have any idea what the vid might be? Phil gave a few hints in his ls iirc. I think he said it was heavily requested and very fun to play.
A classics game that is fun but intense? Maybe Donkey Kong again?
lishachi
eclipse shirt

MoonPride wrote:
mysterylovescompany wrote:This is one of the more upsetting discussions I have read here. :sobs: Here's hoping the gaming video gets uploaded soon. I've been missing gamingmas so much. Does anyone have any idea what the vid might be? Phil gave a few hints in his ls iirc. I think he said it was heavily requested and very fun to play.
i was thinking mario or sonic or something idk why. super mario maker would be hilarious, i watched game grumps play it and was crying at arins frustration. also jacks play through was v funny too.

excited nonetheless :D
:biflag: :blackheart:
KlaBimm
crusty sponge

MoonPride wrote:
Didn't he say something that they hadn't played it before or did I just imagine that?
MoonPride
moon room

KlaBimm wrote:
MoonPride wrote:
Didn't he say something that they hadn't played it before or did I just imagine that?
I can't remember but I think it's either DK or Mario related.