Dan & Phil Part 37: A better way to live

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

i felt like documenting the phangate part, so here we go:
There's a rumor that Phil has a secret wife and child. Oh sh-- oh my god, you heard about that? Damn, how did you find out? Oh god, it's so true, yep, Sabrina and their child Lola. How did you find out? Phil has been keeping that a secret for so long, this is just a fake apartment that he uses for filming when he's not spending time with his real family. Oooh and he thought he could get to his birthday before he made a video telling you all about the truth. I can't believe you all found out about it. You guys with your theories on the internet are just so good.
a truely worthy ending to this story. #blessed
i'm a bit sad the fake apartment conspiracy has been debunked by dan himself now, it was my favourite. i also wonder what laughed about afterwards, it seemed like he had had a sudden thought or spotted something in the chat.

also what i get out of this is that sabrina and lola being phil's real family confirms that deppy consider themselves family, right?
thank's you were great
Amiaw
interactive introvert

malday wrote:Does this mean he actually read the phangate story or he just knew about the conspiracy theory before. Has he ever talked about any other fan theories? Why did he choose to talk about it?

@39:54 (about Phil) "and he thought he could get to his birthday before he made a video telling you all about the truth"
could it be foreshadowing ?
He probably just found it hilarious like we all do. He seemed highly amused but it did seem like he was aware, especially with Gavin an answer like that ready for us.

I found his answer to the question about liking someone interesting since it sounded like his biography
papierklemmen
flower crown

Amiaw wrote:He probably just found it hilarious like we all do. He seemed highly amused but it did seem like he was aware, especially with Gavin an answer like that ready for us.
some people on twitter were @replying him and phil with questions and theories about a secret wife and child, so he might have seen something in the sea of other posts lol.
yupitsme
sofa crease
Pronouns: she/her

Amiaw wrote:
malday wrote:Does this mean he actually read the phangate story or he just knew about the conspiracy theory before. Has he ever talked about any other fan theories? Why did he choose to talk about it?

@39:54 (about Phil) "and he thought he could get to his birthday before he made a video telling you all about the truth"
He probably just found it hilarious like we all do. He seemed highly amused but it did seem like he was aware, especially with Gavin an answer like that ready for us.

I found his answer to the question about liking someone interesting since it sounded like his biography
That's what I was thinking! But then also when he realised it sounded like his stalker video he changed it so it sounded less like him I think (with the whole not being yourself and realising after 10 years thing). :lol:
bantstrash wrote:A bit late but thanks for the info on the ads. I assumed that they chose to have adverts in the middle of videos but that youtube decided where they went (I assumed exactly the middle but too lazy to check).

Now I know they are choosing where to put them I'm irritated as hell because they never seem to choose a natural break, they just seem to shove them in anywhere. It's just lazy imho :(
Okay, but that might actually be the point? I mean, you're supposed to want to keep watching not think 'oh well might as well close this video now'. I'm not sure how much of a deliberate strategy it was in their case though, there's a high likelihood of it being random.
Laney
drama llama

yupitsme wrote:
Amiaw wrote:

That's what I was thinking! But then also when he realised it sounded like his stalker video he changed it so it sounded less like him I think (with the whole not being yourself and realising after 10 years thing). :lol:
yesss, this! I too thought I caught the sudden deliberate change in the story, when he realized that his story was getting #too real :lol:
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

yesss when he was talking about the liking someone, i was like....dan u talkin bout phil?

but ah i really enjoyed dan's ls! it was so cute and calming. he was a bit all over the place today but i still enjoyed it. he made me laugh a bit sometimes esp with the piano and random noises he made and stuff. :3
:transheart:
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

You know what just occurred to me that many people seem to have forgotten about?

THE CAKE SCENE

I want in in HD edited with all the proper camera angles. Who do I have to bribe or threaten to get this to happen. Do we need a petition?

Do not let Dan it pls!

*also my two cents about adding the apartment set onto the LS story - it's not exactly a new theory, the apartment being a set has been around for a while, so he probably just tacked it on for lols. He knows all clearly, he references shock fics from years ago with detail. Why is anyone surprised he knows things anymore?
Last edited by Artdefines06 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
susan2
rainbow nerd

lurker wrote:i also wonder what laughed about afterwards, it seemed like he had had a sudden thought or spotted something in the chat.
Someone in the chat said something like "Dan are you secretly Sabrina?"....I assumed it was that he was laughing at :lol: ....or maybe just the ridiculousness of the whole thing who knows.
MoonPride
moon room

susan2 wrote:
lurker wrote:i also wonder what laughed about afterwards, it seemed like he had had a sudden thought or spotted something in the chat.
Someone in the chat said something like "Dan are you secretly Sabrina?"....I assumed it was that he was laughing at :lol: ....or maybe just the ridiculousness of the whole thing who knows.

I think he was laughing at how ridiculous it sounded and the fact everyone in the chat was pissing themselves that he actually went there and dragged that tumblr account.
majitzu
angel bean

http://pseudophan.tumblr.com wrote: ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Freudian slip
/ˌfrɔɪdɪən ˈslɪp/

noun

1. an unintentional error regarded as revealing subconscious feelings.
I enjoyes the ls, althought i was distracted chatting soi I will have to rewatch it, the phangate part was so and the blanket ... THE ... BLANKET , he looked so cozy and cute
tymyky
glabella

Really liked today's liveshow but there was one bit I have found a little bit interesting and I think that nobody has mentioned it here. At around 45:55 he starts talking about playing Monopoly on the gaming channel and then gets to views at 47:15. He talks about that it would get like 800k views but why not 2M and then he kinda slows down to think more about what he is saying basically admitting that they do it for the views. I mean fair play I don't really have problem with that but I think it is for the first time we heard it from Dan. And if I got it all wrong, ignore me, this moment just stood out for me

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

tymyky wrote:Really liked today's liveshow but there was one bit I have found a little bit interesting and I think that nobody has mentioned it here. At around 45:55 he starts talking about playing Monopoly on the gaming channel and then gets to views at 47:15. He talks about that it would get like 800k views but why not 2M and then he kinda slows down to think more about what he is saying basically admitting that they do it for the views. I mean fair play I don't really have problem with that but I think it is for the first time we heard it from Dan. And if I got it all wrong, ignore me, this moment just stood out for me

I found it very interesting to hear what their threshold for what makes something worth it to put effort into doing it on youtube is. 800k is not enough, two million would be? That's a good way of figuring out what games they're likely to repeat or revisit and which they aren't.

That they do it for the views is not the least bit surprising. Dan's always been open about wanting to play games he's really interested in for himself, and not on the channel. They're not picking out passion projects for DAPG, they're going for entertainment value.
majitzu
angel bean

I mean ... money!

But 800k vievs for a 24 hours video is a lot, like you would probably win the same money than with a shorter video with 2M views

(but i could be talking shit, so don't quote me on that :D )
Sakura Selfie
rainbow nerd

I quite liked the mini shade he threw when talking about some of the uk youtubers like 'ooh I'm a serious film maker' in the middle of the selfie monologue
Reizam
butt chair

Sakura Selfie wrote:I quite liked the mini shade he threw when talking about some of the uk youtubers like 'ooh I'm a serious film maker' in the middle of the selfie monologue
Haha, I enjoyed that as well.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

alittledizzy wrote:Considering some of the top fans on younow are paying in the area of $1000 (possibly up to $1400) a month each
YOU WHAT?! I never even considered how much the bars cost. I see WonderfullyRachel is the new Anahita, and she spent around 39,000 bars tonight. How much does that equate to does anyone know? I mean each to their own how these people spend their money but wow. I noticed that the amount for premium messages has also changed. The cap used to be 400 bars but is now 2000. I see Dan and Phil answering a lot of questions from the same people (birte_b, WonderfullyRachel, Darla and phan_2134), I wondered if this was because they are sending in questions when it's capped (at 2000 bars) and are picking the most expensive questions.
alittledizzy wrote:(I've also seen some people say there are more ads on videos now, too. Would that be their doing or youtubes?)
I've definitely said they have a lot more ads recently. I watch Deppy mainly on my iPhone and even some of their 20 minute videos now have up to 3 ads in them. Not surprised to hear that this is down to the creator though, gotta make their money somehow.

Dans liveshow : I was kinda distracted during it but living for the phangate discussion. I assume he must have seen it as he pretty much said everything the post said! I was really hoping that someone would ask him about it!
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
papierklemmen
flower crown

alittledizzy wrote:
tymyky wrote:Really liked today's liveshow but there was one bit I have found a little bit interesting and I think that nobody has mentioned it here. At around 45:55 he starts talking about playing Monopoly on the gaming channel and then gets to views at 47:15. He talks about that it would get like 800k views but why not 2M and then he kinda slows down to think more about what he is saying basically admitting that they do it for the views. I mean fair play I don't really have problem with that but I think it is for the first time we heard it from Dan. And if I got it all wrong, ignore me, this moment just stood out for me

I found it very interesting to hear what their threshold for what makes something worth it to put effort into doing it on youtube is. 800k is not enough, two million would be? That's a good way of figuring out what games they're likely to repeat or revisit and which they aren't.

That they do it for the views is not the least bit surprising. Dan's always been open about wanting to play games he's really interested in for himself, and not on the channel. They're not picking out passion projects for DAPG, they're going for entertainment value.
yeah, as of now 800k is what a lot of their "less trendy" videos stopped at, like bubble bobble ... oops EDIT i meant the latest bishi bashi or katamari, so it really shows what kind of content we won't be getting a lot of. shame because this is exactly the kind of games i love to watch, but hey, gotta pay the bills. that said, they are not getting anything to 2m lately either.
Last edited by papierklemmen on Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

alittledizzy wrote:

Not surprising at all, Shelter was such a complete flop they never even mention it anymore after Phil initially saying he wanted to do Shelter 2. The hardcore phandom did love it, but if a high amount of views is what they're going for we don't matter as much like we do with things where our undying loyalty and influence comes in to play. Like ditching us for two months in order to acquire material for a glorified scrapbook and then actually getting us to buy Instagram content.

I kinda wish they'd just turn DAPG into a regular collab channel. Neither of them really wants a gaming channel, they probably kinda regret it, aren't into it anymore, and most of their subscribers don't care about gaming anyway. They're just stressing themselves out over it, forcing themselves to play games they give fuck all about because they want to keep games they genuinely love for themselves. Just put everything that is a Phan collab (except PINOF because that does belong on AP) on that channel with gaming stuff because just one of the things they do. Whack all the baking videos, DITL's, other collab videos on there so the main channels (especially Phil's) can breathe again and let their own brands flourish and develop. My friend predicts DAPG will only last another year and then they'll just quit it entirely.

Dan is so contradictory on the topic of video subject though. He no longer wants to make Truth or Dare videos (fair enough and we've known this for years it ain't news) because he wants to make videos about 'serious issues' or whatever. But he plays shitty Flash games for pure entertainment value. With those double standards he just makes the entire Dan and Phil brand seem like a cheap cash cow, I wonder if he realizes that.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
majitzu
angel bean

missemma wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:Considering some of the top fans on younow are paying in the area of $1000 (possibly up to $1400) a month each
YOU WHAT?! I never even considered how much the bars cost. I see WonderfullyRachel is the new Anahita, and she spent around 39,000 bars tonight. How much does that equate to does anyone know? I mean each to their own how these people spend their money but wow. I noticed that the amount for premium messages has also changed. The cap used to be 400 bars but is now 2000. I see Dan and Phil answering a lot of questions from the same people (birte_b, WonderfullyRachel, Darla and phan_2134), I wondered if this was because they are sending in questions when it's capped (at 2000 bars) and are picking the most expensive questions.
So 6 500 bars are 50$, so 39 000 bars are 300$ talking about money
i could buy a Nintendo switch with that money, not in my country tho, here it is 500$
secretagentphan
procrastinator

It's interesting because it makes you wonder if them being more "out" really would be less marketable. Many people think it's the other way around but their more domestic videos getting less views make me think the average viewer is not interested in their possibly romantic dynamic. That is VERY interesting to me. Only a loud section of their viewers do.

Me and my sister noticed how many ads are on their videos but I don't blame them. I also don't blame them for doing it for views because being a youtuber and continuing to make money and be relevant is stressful. Dan and Phil as a duo are still very relevant but I think they're aware they're never going to be as huge as they were a few years ago view wise. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make it like they're one of those irrelevant youtubers clinging to fame (there's a lot of names that come to mind and deppy definitely isn't one of them) but they probably have a "make hay while the sun's still shining" attitude.

Also I'm sorry but Dan's head looks hilariously huge in the thumbnail of his latest liveshow.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

missemma wrote:
I don't know how true this is but in a previous discussion about this someone said it is apparently relatively simple for anyone who knows what they are doing to hack the younow site and give themselves bars and that there are third party websites you can buy them cheaper.

On the one hand I definitely think this has to be true because a lot of the top fans seems to be teenagers and I can't imagine even those with parents with mega bucks are seriously allowed to spend $1000+ a month just tipping their favourite youtubers. Or if the are adults that that anyone who has to actually work for their money would want to spend so much of it in that way.

But on the other hand I'm not sure if this theory makes sense though because surely D&P are getting paid from the top fans or they'd not bother regularly giving them shout-outs just for being a bunch of hackers who stop fans spending real money getting noticed.
And if D&P are getting paid from the bars given to them then surely younow must also be because if they got no money but still had to pay D&P and whatever other creators get hacker bars then surely they'd have found a way to crack-down or at least be barring suspected hackers so they could stop hemorrhaging money.

But that being said I think there must be something up with it because I simply can't fathom how anyone could be seriously spending that kind of money twice a week just to be in the top fans during liveshows.

I mean I suppose I should be glad someone does because I'm not willing to pay for them and as long as someone else does D&P will continue and I can enjoy for free. :lol:
Last edited by pearshaped34 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
majitzu
angel bean

younow wins the 30%
psychicmoth
living flop

Artdefines06 wrote:You know what just occurred to me that many people seem to have forgotten about?

THE CAKE SCENE
The cake scene is the new Vegas video and nobody talks about it :'(

I guess they didn't felt motivated enough to upload it. At that time everybody kept asking them when they were going to upload something not TATINOF related, so I guess they just let the video die. This kinda breaks my heart...

But probably this is related to the on-going conversation about how much money they want to make per video. Or probably not. We know that video would make it pretty well, even if it's still TATINOF related. But probably they gave up about upload it since they didn't have a "reason" to do it anymore. Since it's a video with high shipping levels, I guess it would be weird just upload it without a proper explanation.

But it would be a nice surprise if they upload it on the TATINOF anniversary.

Please Dan, Phil, if you are reading this.
(used to be Maya)
:sparkle: :crystalball: :sparkle:
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

majitzu wrote:
So 6 500 bars are 50$, so 39 000 bars are 300$ talking about money
i could buy a Nintendo switch with that money, not in my country tho, here it is 500$
Yeah I just looked and 6500 bars = £50.

I just looked on dans younow profile and it lists the top 3 fans. the top fan has bought 130,500 bars which equals about £1000. One of them, between both dan and Phil's profile has bought approximately 150,000 bars which equals £1150.

Like I said before, each to their own, I'm just kinda shocked. I must be tight as if the premiums are over 100 bars I wouldn't even send one (not that it'll get read out anyway)!

Thanks for the post pearshaped34. maybe there is a way to get free bars but it would be risky. I guess people will do anything to be at the top and get noticed.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
secretagentphan
procrastinator

Not to make another post relating to my last post but I wonder if them getting less views on their more laid back domestic videos has to do with what we talked about earlier. Are people already starting to lose interest because the mystery of their relationship is slightly less mysterious? It could just be because the games they act more coupley in are less popular in general. Yeah I'm not even sure I agree with this post I'm just kind of theorizing tbh, but the topic is interesting to me