Dan & Phil Part 37: A better way to live

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she/her

SquishPhan wrote: Well Phil just opened a can of worms. :lol:
I don't remember when, but I'm pretty sure he said in the past that he sometimes watches Louise's makeup videos because he finds them relaxing. Afaik nobody used that as a reason to try to get him to wear makeup. I guess nail polish is more gender neutral but he's never seemed the slightest bit interested so I doubt people will bug him about it to the extent that they bugged Dan. Am I remembering right about the makeup stuff?
Sorry if I say something wrong. My first language is sarcasm. I've never really learned English
Amiaw
interactive introvert

malday wrote:
SquishPhan wrote: Well Phil just opened a can of worms. :lol:
A holosexual can of worms. :lol:
anathema
morning quiff

Amiaw wrote:
malday wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:
Well Phil just opened a can of worms. :lol:
A holosexual can of worms. :lol:
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
DeadlyNova
living flop

I feel ya there, Philly. I don't paint my nails(couldn't even if I wanted to because of my job) but spend a lot of time watching nail art videos....for some reason. It's very relaxing.
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

Moderator Action :

Hey everyone!

In celebration of 1000 members, we've unveiled the official IDB Dan & Phil FAQ!!

We hope you enjoy!

busy being happy~
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

oqua wrote:
Moderator Action :

Hey everyone!

In celebration of 1000 members, we've unveiled the official IDB Dan & Phil FAQ!!

We hope you enjoy!

Totally awesome on both counts!

All you mods are fabulous.

And just when I thought I'd made my way through most of the interesting threads on the site.....
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i love the new faq thread aaa the only complaint i have is that it slows down my computer massively ouo whether that is my laptop being shit or the thread itself who knows but i've gone through a majority of it c:
:transheart:
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

Skylar wrote:i love the new faq thread aaa the only complaint i have is that it slows down my computer massively ouo whether that is my laptop being shit or the thread itself who knows but i've gone through a majority of it c:
I do think the thread is part of the problem; initially I couldn't get it to load at all on my phone. I could get it to load on my computer but I know some people were struggling with that too.

So I've decided to separate the FAQ into two parts:
Part 1: About general questions and questions about Phan / Dan & Phil themselves
Part 2: About Deppy's acquaintances, the Fantastic Foursome, etc.

Hopefully that helps a bit!

Both threads do load now, eventually, at least for me. :) I hope it'll work for everyone else too. It's still a bit slow on my phone but I think that might be unavoidable.

If you guys could let me know how it's working for you (here or in the FAQ discussion thread) I'd appreciate it! I really want it to load okay for everyone.
busy being happy~
anushwa
crusty sponge

a bit late i guess but

@ 2:35 "When it comes to drawing, I am actually slightly ambidextrous."
the d vs p handicap was unfair to Phil from the premise itself paired with his out of the box thinking and generally bad hand eye coordination. But a fun video nonetheless, I don't think Dan intended to be harsh, the way some viewers are taking it. He literally asked Phil to confirm if he wanted to go ahead with the handicap, essentially asking Phil if he's ok with losing and being taunted endlessly.

Phil has enough power in his hands tbh, he doesn't really need us defending him. I do understand though, if he doesn't know how to make his friends know where the limit is (people make it seem that it's easy to tell your friends when they're being hurtful, but I find it harder because then it just feels like you're making a big deal out of a joke) but I don't think that would be the case with dan since he's known him for so long. It'd be unrealistic to think Dan hasn't caught onto the non verbal cues and have a general idea of what makes Phil uncomfortable. have enough communication in their relationship without having to spell it out, I feel.

and with the vyou answer? He does actually seem pretty condescending about it even though Katie could've just been jk (that was a lil bit annoying) but that just shows that he takes offense to people thinking he could be capable of being mean to phil. But if I'm honest that doesn't mean he isn't, he just thinks it's unthinkable that he could consciously. Don't you find him being rude sometimes? Not only to phil but, just generally? I think he doesn't mean to be, but his humour gets a lil bit on the hostile side sometimes and yeah people tend to take it that way (which he feels is them not understanding when he's being sarcastic and jk and when he's being serious) He can be an asshole or at least come across as one (lmao thanks felucca's channel), he does indeed have a hasty personality very quick to love or hate
I kind of find it really amusing when people find it easy to hate him, I have a friend who is kind of like him (my best frnd ) and she really doesn't know when she's being hurtful it's amazing, at first I antagonised her thinking she did it on purpose but, I think I get it now? It doesn't justify it but I definitely understand that some people don't mean harm when they say things that they think are funny, it'd do them good to keep those comments to themselves tho :?

(this is the most I've ever typed here i think whoops) congrats IDB on 1k members!!!
"the greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return"
mez29
procrastinator

oqua wrote:
Moderator Action :

Hey everyone!

We hope you enjoy!

So it took all this time because you were waiting to get 1000 members … you cheeky shits (as Dan would say) :lol:

congrats idb
peekatyou
drama llama

kuensukki wrote:The bigger audience does bring more judgment and anxiety for dan but it also brings the validation and importance that he seems to need and thrive on. alittledizzy says it well: he likes the validation and feedback not the fame. I think it's easier to see Dan being so supportive of phil because he's at a position to offer that support. I tried looking back to see any shows of support and they both seemed to be supportive starting out so there's nothing to conclude from that. And 2012 was a year where Dan was trying to prove he could really be successful while doing youtube and trying to be recognized for his individual efforts and successes instead of an extension of phil. If the opposite was true today, then I would think dan would compare himself and try to figure out why he was working just as hard as phil and not getting the same or better results. It's honestly a difficult position to be in, where you are constantly compared by the fans and confronted by the number of subscribers, so I can see someone like phil handling (and he has) that better then dan. He just seems more secure in who he is as an individual and less likely to compare/put himself down because he isn't as popular. That's just my interpretation of it, I'm sure there are others.
I wanted to reply to this 'cause I find this topic interesting: Phil may not have as many subscribers as Dan, but they’re still equally popular within the phandom? Dan knows the phandom loves Phil to no end and he even addressed it fondly and somewhat ironically in the last pinof bloopers with 'finally I’m the blazing ball of sunshine' (he also commented on how we all love Phil’s laugh, his 'endearing quality.') After all, what matters is people’s love and appreciation, not the numbers, and probably Dan realizes he’s at the exact same position as Phil as far as people’s love goes. I’m not sure if the number of his subscribers makes him feel any better about himself - remember how he was like 'meh cool thanks' about his channel hitting 6 million subs?
My point is he knows Phil is as good and loveable as he is and the difference in their numbers doesn’t mean much.

Their last video inspired me to spend like a good hour playing this 'Quick, Draw!' game with my wrong hand, it was fun. :D
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

Thank you IDB! That FAQ is amazing plus a good read :p
:D
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

anushwa wrote:Phil has enough power in his hands tbh, he doesn't really need us defending him. I do understand though, if he doesn't know how to make his friends know where the limit is (people make it seem that it's easy to tell your friends when they're being hurtful, but I find it harder because then it just feels like you're making a big deal out of a joke) but I don't think that would be the case with dan since he's known him for so long. It'd be unrealistic to think Dan hasn't caught onto the non verbal cues and have a general idea of what makes Phil uncomfortable. have enough communication in their relationship without having to spell it out, I feel.
I think the point most people are making isn't an attempt to defend Phil, I don't think anyone thinks Phil is hurt by Dan's behavior. In fact, most people (myself included) have pointed out that we understand this is natural behavior between them.

We are just, as we tend to do, overanalyzing why Dan and Phil are the way they are. Being a sore winner is part of who Dan is.
peekatyou wrote:I wanted to reply to this 'cause I find this topic interesting: Phil may not have as many subscribers as Dan, but they’re still equally popular within the phandom?
But dinof videos get 3-5 million views, and AP videos get 1-2 million. Even if you assume subscriber disparity is just inactive people, more people watch Dan's videos and most of those people are not active fandom members so don't have the 'we must be equal fans' mindset. (The highest range of interaction on twitter is 150k likes; his most popular younow on dini has 660k. Those seems like good metrics for figuring out active fanbase vs casual viewers.)

Youtube is an entertainment form beyond fandom purposes. I don't personally think that it's 'within phandom' that Dan cares about. They both understand, I'm sure, that they will get nothing but rampant adoration from their actual fandom. What makes or breaks them popularity wise is how much appeal they have to people outside of that bubble of phandom.
AmazingOCD
glabella

oqua wrote:
Moderator Action :

Hey everyone!

We hope you enjoy!

Congratulations on 1000 members!

Joining IDB (though only a few weeks ago) was a very good decision on my part! I get so engrossed in all the discussions we have on here plus all the different reactions to whatever Deppy do. (They are being extra cute lately! )

Well done to all the awesome mods who keep this place up and running!

for these emojis that you made on my request!

Keep up the great work guys! Great job on the FAQ btw! I read EVERYTHING on it (time well spent)

Plus don't forget to give ourselves a well-deserved pat on the back for achieving this milestone together!
It's a good thing to be strange. Normalness leads to sadness - Phil Lester
bee
phabergé

can relate 10/10
lishachi
eclipse shirt

bee wrote: can relate 10/10
this is just how i look all of the time. blanket included. i feel this so hard (also new video maybe?)
:biflag: :blackheart:
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

That's the pose I'm in right now in all honesty
Yay new video soon?^.^
secretagentphan
procrastinator

Not to be weird but Dan's eyebrows look really good here
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

lishachi wrote:
this is just how i look all of the time. blanket included. i feel this so hard (also new video maybe?)
New video confirmed!! I wonder if it's the one about his piano teacher he was talking about making for months now.
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
secretagentphan
procrastinator

confusedpanda wrote:
lishachi wrote:
New video confirmed!! I wonder if it's the one about his piano teacher he was talking about making for months now.
YESSSS I BET IT IS I've been a little lukewarm on Dan videos lately but I love his stories/sketch videos (i know a lot of people didnt like it but i loved his hamster video lmao) so hopefully he'll win me over again!
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I wonder how long he can maintain that position and actually write on the laptop, if I ever try to write sideways my arm soon aches. Adorable picture, though, very snuggly-looking in the blanket and joggers. The laptop looks so tiny next to him. If he's just writing it now, I'd give it a few days before we see it, but it sounds interesting.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Has anyone looked at Dans tumblr likes lately? He liked some furry art of him and Phil
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

Amiaw wrote:Has anyone looked at Dans tumblr likes lately? He liked some furry art of him and Phil
What, seriously :? ? Don't have tumblr but :wtf:
Kathrynxjane
janice from the shop
Pronouns: She/Her

Just a little Dan mention in Louise's new video.

Louise and Marcus are sending accidental sexts from each others phone. Louise picks Dan for Marcus. Dan replies in the most Dan way possible. From about 7 minutes (lots of screaming that Dan replied)
"You can't just pull it out and put it in without a plan." Dan Howell 2015
hannah
butt chair

SexyTrashCan wrote:
Amiaw wrote:Has anyone looked at Dans tumblr likes lately? He liked some furry art of him and Phil
What, seriously :? ? Don't have tumblr but :wtf: