Dan & Phil Part 37: A better way to live

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
AmazingOCD
glabella
Pronouns: she/her

oqua wrote:
AmazingOCD wrote:Those pics give me life! There really should be a Love Eyes/Heart Eyes emoji (come on mods!!!)
I love seeing cute pics of Phil (Love Eyes Lester) as there are so many Heart Eyes Howell pics. When these appear, they are treasured
I mean, there are already heart eyes emojis ( :lel: ), but not one-person-gazing-fondly-at-the-other emojis. Is that what you mean?

I agree about Love Eyes Lester pictures always being great
THANK YOU for pointing these out!!! :lel:
I pressed the view more smilies button and found the again (I was wondering how to get it!)
Maybe a one-person-gazing-fondly-at-the-other emoji will be appropriate when we spot those moments in a vid!

EDIT: FIRST TIME I'M TOP OF A PAGE WHOO HOO!!!!!
(is that a thing to be proud of on here?)
It's a good thing to be strange. Normalness leads to sadness - Phil Lester
misakichan274
delia smith
Pronouns: she/they

Loved the video so much and was so excited to finally see a video of them together this year! I don't know if its the but less than a minute in and I was already at their current dynamic. I hadn't ever seen or heard of the game before either and it was hilarious to watch and see them on their spectacular rampage :D
Phil being bad at a game and yet not caring and supporting Dan gives me life
They also looked really relaxed (despite the screaming) and beautiful
Cant wait for more to come!
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

AmazingOCD wrote:I pressed the view more smilies button and found the again (I was wondering how to get it!)
Maybe a one-person-gazing-fondly-at-the-other emoji will be appropriate when we spot those moments in a vid!
Lol, yeah, there are tons of emoticons if you click "view more smilies"! :D

Anyway:

busy being happy~
iero
phabergé

i really needed this thank u d&p for brightening my shit day
i enjoyed the video? i never rly liked playing or watching happy wheels but they made it enjoyable, i'm just happy to see a video with them together in 17
also when will dan learn its ash ketchum not katchum
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

alittledizzy wrote:Promos Dan's video like a good boyfriend. "I didn't watch it before he finished editing it, either." This really surprised me - I think they generally do show each other their videos before posting but if Dan genuinely felt so intense about having to go through all those memes and embarrassing moments, it sort of makes sense to me that he wouldn't want Phil with him for it in that capacity. (But that's speculation. I'd love to hear Dan's reasoning why he took this one on all by himself though.)
interesting speculation! i thought this rather implied that they usually show each other their videos while they're still in the editing process, but this time, phil only watched dan's video after he finished editing (not necessarily meaning he didn't see it before it was uploaded).
thank's you were great
AmazingOCD
glabella

oqua wrote:
AmazingOCD wrote:I pressed the view more smilies button and found the again (I was wondering how to get it!)
Lol, yeah, there are tons of emoticons if you click "view more smilies"! :D

Anyway:
Thank you oqua!!!
It's a good thing to be strange. Normalness leads to sadness - Phil Lester
000dia000
emo goose

I didn't get a chance to respond to these in the previous thread so I'm carrying them in:
Truth_or_cliche wrote:I'm also curious about how him being bullied as a kid has influenced the way he handles conflict today (to freeze up and/or ignore the problem until it goes away). I don't think he's gone into much detail about it, though. Was there something in particular he was teased about? Was there physical abuse? Verbal abuse? How did he handle it? I think he's said/implied that he just endured it, but did he ever try to do something about it or did he learn pretty quickly to endure it until it was over? I wonder if this is where he developed this deer-in-headlights coping mechanism. I can see how something like that can make you insecure/nervous/anxious around other people even way after it's over. It's amazing to me that even after encountering some really shitty people at such a young age he still just wants to make people happy. It's quite admirable, he could have easily come out of an experience like that and been angry/bitter/hateful, but he doesn't appear to be at all.
EDIT: I forgot to link it lol

I'm not sure, if this will answer much, but he did give this vyou answer which I don't see around much. The guy sounds horrible, but I'm surprised by Phil's reaction as some parts, he kind of casually say, "He would just stab me with a compass or something horrible." then sort of double-backs and is like "YEAH he was a HORRIBLE guy!" What I get from his response, was that these situations did not have a surface kind of reaction from him, he did not seem to internalize these encounters as bullying, only reflecting on it later did he realize how wrong these encounters were in hindsight. Maybe Phil is laissez-faire about it happening, maybe he just brushed it off and it never actually bothered him. Maybe certain other encounters kind of build into other reactionary responses? (his comment, "I think everybody get's bullied at some point in their lifes." Who knows?

Contrary to his deer in the headlights comment-he actually did not tolerate the situation, but actually stopped it by seeking out a teacher for help so he was able to move class. From what I get from this response is that it is less confrontational but certainly the most mature, and least stressful way of dealing with the situation. I don't think Phil likes confrontation or dealing with situations, probably psyches himself out (such as his mother organizing a hair appointment over the phone for him).

Still, I kind of like Phil's outlook on the situation. He doesn't really refer to the guy with any malice, he's quite practical in his outlook, treating it as typical and in his case fixable. I agree with your statement that Phil really sees the best in everyone, I think if you were to compare this with Dan it's quite interesting. Phil sees the best, and does his best, because it makes him happy. Dan is suspicious, a little paranoid at times, is quite bleak on his outlook on people. Both of them seemed to have mildly negative encounters in school, yet Dan seems to be the only one who still hangs onto resentment while Phil has already moved on. Difference in age, maturity, or personality? WHO KNOWS ~
kuensukki wrote:Another internalization of upbringing I noticed is him berating himself for going high-pitched when got excited by saying he shouldn't speak like that and instead, speak in a deeper tone. To me it seemed like something someone may have teased him on and that he then was more conscious/embarrassed of??
I kind of wanted to address this, seeing it might have relation to maybe anything he has internalized, reminds me of his recent liveshow where he made a conscious remark about how his voice goes high pitched around dogs due to his excitement. His immediate jump into explaining and reasoning his actions is kind of telling. Is there anywhere Phil ever really speaks about his voice? Didn't he mention that he didn't really hit puberty until like 14, and until then had a quite soft prepubescent voice (?)
kuensukki wrote: Also the whole selfie thing spoke volumes for me because I felt like an asshole for teasing him about his selfie face when it's the one he's more comfortable in. Actually watching that whole scene of him trying to take a selfie in front of us and getting insecure and immediately giggling/blushing and looking through the comments for validation was also super interesting to see. And him saying he's not that comfortable taking serious faced selfies because they looked silly therefore he always reacts to the camera with an expression may be that he's not entirely comfortable being seen through a serious lens (too bad Phil!) ;)
This is very important. People felt an immediately strong reaction to when Dan made a comment about feeling more comfortable making a peace signs due to feeling awkward with his hands. Yet, I was very surprised by the very strong reaction this had for some people and how they associated this was anxiety. What I find very interesting is the reaction-or lack of reaction-to a statement that is identical I'm just pointing it out. I mean, in the case of Dan's peace signs being made fun of, the mocking was light and really meaningless (idk some people may disagree with this, I didn't personally see any shaming, but maybe other people have). Yet people actively say they despise Phil's wide-eyed, or open mouthed, or terrified sort of look, saying they hate seeing it, frequently. (This is me, I'm shading myself). Yet, wouldn't consider the possibility of him doing this out of the VERY same way Dan has given for his peace-signs.

With Phil being afraid of being seen serious-this is kind of interesting, people very much get a very happy, energetic Phil. And when we get serious, older, manly Phil, people are like
D A D D Y ! and it's kind of hilarious, in hindsight. After all, people kind of want something that's different to the typical content. (like the way people prefer soft!Dan to his danisnotonfire persona)
:cactus:
KillerQueen
placenta

Loved the vid! Deppy always manage to make the most boring game really enjoyable to watch. How do they do it? :sideeye:
I also liked how Phil named his wife Susan (to which Dan replied, 'Obviously') and then they put Susanisnotonfire in Dan's bubble :lol:
malday
emo goose

I love reading the Philanalysis

Just posting to say my favorite part of the gaming video was:
source
dontpanic
#relatable

Dan’s chapped lips are killing me
I wasn’t quite a fan of this video but I didn’t not like it either, but I have the flu atm so I might just be delirious. I did laugh out loud basically every time phil died it reminded me a bit of gang beasts. Some of my favorite parts:

0:18— discussion about the fireworks effect. Okay, I know I always make fun of phil about the fireworks thing but :lol: he brought it up in the 2017’s trying to kill me video, in his liveshow where he’s unboxing the gold play button, and now here. The firework effect has been with us through it all, guys, a constant rock in the storm of Deppy.
1:04—“problematic dad, Felix.”
1:46—“hey look it’s you.” Oh my god I’m having flashbacks to middle school.
2:00—we now know what Deppy’s child will look like in the future. :gg:
2:36—okay baby dan on a Segway picture THEY ARE SUCH DORKS they went on a Segway tour why don’t I remember this
3:20—phil was doing really well up until the harpoon guns
3:25—Dan apologizing for screaming so early in the video. Apologize all you want dan, your screams will always haunt my dreams
3:30—Phil: “we’re fine. He’s not fine.”
5:00—phil singing “it’s raining meat” to the tune of “it’s raining men.”
6:16—dan giving the combine-driver’s backstory no one wanted or needed
6:38—of fuking course they do the pokemon one
8:17—I laughed so hard when phil accidently presses “z” and the dad gets off the bike to promptly DIE
9:58—Phil: “mow the flesh”
10:55—D&P singing the pokemon theme song
11:23—Phil: “watch out lads, phil’s on the prowl.”
11:33—phil just wants to kill everyone
11:45—syncrinized “whoo”
12:33—I love how dan has to call it a trebuchet
13:25—that’s no way to talk about your friend Casper Lee
16:50—phil’s a single bachelor and he likes it. Dan finds that line amusing
Last edited by dontpanic on Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
000dia000
emo goose

The gaming video was a bit of a mess, not my favorite, but I exhaled through my nose a few times.

I found it funny that people found the video choice a safe, easy bet. Yet, I was actually surprised that deppy were actually conforming with YouTube trends and popular games (I had a similar thought when they made Yandere Simulator and gang Beasts) as, let's be honest, they either seemed to do spon or flash games for so long it did not even seem like it was targeting anybody outside of the phandom who had casual interest in watching gamers. I mean, it's a cheap, easy game but it was a bit violent for their usual PG kind of choices (to an extent, though), these are the people that trigger-warned yandere simulator and openly stated their reluctance to play it due to its content. Yet, like the homoerotic and sexual comments in Gang Beasts, other comments in this included "eating ass" and thrusting motions. Then a very dark tangent of necrophilia and cannabilism. While they have also progressed with their comfort around each other, they've also seemed to progress with not really being as PG with their fans, and kind of replacing sexual innuendos with even darker ones. Kind of interesting, I'm interested in seeing how this goes.
Then again, I don't want them to go too far, they've already seemed to clear Felix. Let's hope they dont lower themselves to edge-lord content.

In a lot of ways, I didn't really find this video exactly ground breaking at first. But then the rather dark comments kind of reaffirmed the realization of "post baking universe." And as other people have pointed out, the casual touchiness they now share with each other
:cactus:
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I found the video pretty entertaining, I laughed quite a few times despite it not really being the sort of thing I'd usually find funny. I think for me, d&p can make just about anything entertaining at this point. But god damn, the Felix mentions kind of soured it for me. I think he's gone beyond 'problematic dad', and I really wish more youtubers (dan and phil included) would call him out on his shit and stop sucking up to him just because of his subscriber count. I guess that's a rant for another day but ugh.

Other than that though, my fave moment was the part when Dan read out "i am your husband", literally means nothing at all but was still cute

Also missemma I'm from Melbourne and it's really been such an awful time, thank you for thinking of us On a similar note, my condolences to everyone in America right now, what a shitty day
anathema
morning quiff

captainspacecoat wrote:I found the video pretty entertaining, I laughed quite a few times despite it not really being the sort of thing I'd usually find funny. I think for me, d&p can make just about anything entertaining at this point. But god damn, the Felix mentions kind of soured it for me. I think he's gone beyond 'problematic dad', and I really wish more youtubers (dan and phil included) would call him out on his shit and stop sucking up to him just because of his subscriber count. I guess that's a rant for another day but ugh.
I don't think they're "sucking up" to him. I think the problem is that they're friends with him (obviously not super close but they're at least acquaintances) and they're also good friends with PJ who's good friends with him. Because they actually know him it becomes a lot more trickier to call him out. Obviously I still wish they would say something, but it makes sense why they might be reluctant to do so.
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Kings of playing games that haven't been relevant for centuries

"Problematic dad"

I'm sorry but if he's aware of all the shit Felix pulled lately and that's how they choose to address him, by making it all into a joke, I'm majorly sideeying. Racist and anti Semitic fuckface would be more accurate. But just mentioning him and and showing his ugly rat face alone is already questionable. Ugh. I'm disappointed in the boys, is Dan only 'woke' when it's not about his friends/senpais? :?

K.

On with the video.

- Dan looks soft with his messy wavy hair and shibe sweater.
- Little throwback with that segway pic aww.
- Dan mocking Phil's skills, Dan instantly dies.
- It's raining meat.
- 'I am your husband' *Dan nods*
- lol it really is the tweet. :lol: Psychic Phil strikes again.
- 'Oh my god he is eating his dad's ass'
- Dan loses it and Phil's clusterfuck of all the wrong kinks.
- 'Machoke me daddy'
- Phil as a cheerleader. *insert Phil photoshopped on the cover of a Bring It On movie here*
- Phil murdering more people than Dan in his Christmas genocide run of Undertale.
- Why do I feel like Dan isn't getting killed/decapitated by things that should? Lucky bastard.
- Phil is so cute doubting the phandom's demon status. Of course there are gonna be levels with your names on it my boy, expecting otherwise is almost insulting.
- Phil is really tragic at this game if he can't even get this level :')
- Dan finds the sexy couple on the bike aspirational. My spell check says that ain't a word.
- 'I am a single bachelor and I like it!' Dan finds that hilarious and I. wonder. why.
- No seriously Dan's characters keep on living when they shouldn't imo.
- More Felix mentions. :sideeye:

I did like the the video despite Happy Wheels being annoying but the Felix thing really soured me mood so
malday wrote:I love reading the Philanalysis

Just posting to say my favorite part of the gaming video was:
source
Dan find the idea of Phil being a single bachelor really funny *wink wonk*
anathema wrote:
captainspacecoat wrote:I found the video pretty entertaining, I laughed quite a few times despite it not really being the sort of thing I'd usually find funny. I think for me, d&p can make just about anything entertaining at this point. But god damn, the Felix mentions kind of soured it for me. I think he's gone beyond 'problematic dad', and I really wish more youtubers (dan and phil included) would call him out on his shit and stop sucking up to him just because of his subscriber count. I guess that's a rant for another day but ugh.
I don't think they're "sucking up" to him. I think the problem is that they're friends with him (obviously not super close but they're at least acquaintances) and they're also good friends with PJ who's good friends with him. Because they actually know him it becomes a lot more trickier to call him out. Obviously I still wish they would say something, but it makes sense why they might be reluctant to do so.
Not calling people out because they're your (more powerful and successful) friends is still sucking up as far as I am concerned.

Lastly I wanna say, as a person regularly drags Phil's deer in headlight face, I did always kinda figure that it was some reaction to anxiety because lots of people always make super weird faces in photos so that they don't have to smile. It's why my dragging usually comes with a side of 'LOOK AT HIS GODDAMN SMILE IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL' because I hope that one day he'll be confident enough to work it to his full potential. Also I'm just mean and self centered and want more nice smiley pics of Philly. I bet Dan has collection of them and keeps it all to himself.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

anathema wrote: I don't think they're "sucking up" to him. I think the problem is that they're friends with him (obviously not super close but they're at least acquaintances) and they're also good friends with PJ who's good friends with him. Because they actually know him it becomes a lot more trickier to call him out. Obviously I still wish they would say something, but it makes sense why they might be reluctant to do so.
Maybe I worded my point badly, but I guess I moreso meant the youtube community at large never call him out on anything. Things like Grace Helbig reiterating her support for his video on intention the other day suggest to me that many big (mostly white) youtubers are more interested in saving face than acknowledging that this guy has crossed a line.

In terms of d&p I guess it is different in terms of the fact that they do have a relationship with him. That, plus the fact that they're probably well aware that if they were to bring it up the drama would be exacerbated, and they never involve themselves in youtube drama, especially when it doesn't involve them directly (understandably).

Even so, I think it is still possible to remain friends with someone while simultaneously refusing to excuse their problematic behaviour. If more youtubers Felix respects called him out, maybe he'd actually listen. I get that they know him better than we do blah blah blah, but that doesn't change the fact that what Felix did was genuinely harmful, regardless of "intent", and I felt uncomfortable at him being mentioned in a mostly positive light.

I don't know, my feelings on this are complicated and obviously I'm not gonna unstan d&p for mentioning Felix or anything, I just wish things like saying the n word and making anti-semitic comments would be taken more seriously by the youtube community. Or maybe I'm just extra salty today because of the inauguration, idk, it's been a horrifying 24 hours
kuensukki
janice from the shop

000dia000 wrote:I didn't get a chance to respond to these in the previous thread so I'm carrying them in:
Truth_or_cliche wrote:I'm also curious about how him being bullied as a kid has influenced the way he handles conflict today (to freeze up and/or ignore the problem until it goes away). I don't think he's gone into much detail about it, though. Was there something in particular he was teased about? Was there physical abuse? Verbal abuse? How did he handle it? I think he's said/implied that he just endured it, but did he ever try to do something about it or did he learn pretty quickly to endure it until it was over? I wonder if this is where he developed this deer-in-headlights coping mechanism. I can see how something like that can make you insecure/nervous/anxious around other people even way after it's over. It's amazing to me that even after encountering some really shitty people at such a young age he still just wants to make people happy. It's quite admirable, he could have easily come out of an experience like that and been angry/bitter/hateful, but he doesn't appear to be at all.
EDIT: I forgot to link it lol

I'm not sure, if this will answer much, but he did give this vyou answer which I don't see around much. The guy sounds horrible, but I'm surprised by Phil's reaction as some parts, he kind of casually say, "He would just stab me with a compass or something horrible." then sort of double-backs and is like "YEAH he was a HORRIBLE guy!" What I get from his response, was that these situations did not have a surface kind of reaction from him, he did not seem to internalize these encounters as bullying, only reflecting on it later did he realize how wrong these encounters were in hindsight. Maybe Phil is laissez-faire about it happening, maybe he just brushed it off and it never actually bothered him. Maybe certain other encounters kind of build into other reactionary responses? (his comment, "I think everybody get's bullied at some point in their lifes." Who knows?

Contrary to his deer in the headlights comment-he actually did not tolerate the situation, but actually stopped it by seeking out a teacher for help so he was able to move class. From what I get from this response is that it is less confrontational but certainly the most mature, and least stressful way of dealing with the situation. I don't think Phil likes confrontation or dealing with situations, probably psyches himself out (such as his mother organizing a hair appointment over the phone for him).

Still, I kind of like Phil's outlook on the situation. He doesn't really refer to the guy with any malice, he's quite practical in his outlook, treating it as typical and in his case fixable. I agree with your statement that Phil really sees the best in everyone, I think if you were to compare this with Dan it's quite interesting. Phil sees the best, and does his best, because it makes him happy. Dan is suspicious, a little paranoid at times, is quite bleak on his outlook on people. Both of them seemed to have mildly negative encounters in school, yet Dan seems to be the only one who still hangs onto resentment while Phil has already moved on. Difference in age, maturity, or personality? WHO KNOWS ~
This is very important. People felt an immediately strong reaction to when Dan made a comment about feeling more comfortable making a peace signs due to feeling awkward with his hands. Yet, I was very surprised by the very strong reaction this had for some people and how they associated this was anxiety. What I find very interesting is the reaction-or lack of reaction-to a statement that is identical I'm just pointing it out. I mean, in the case of Dan's peace signs being made fun of, the mocking was light and really meaningless (idk some people may disagree with this, I didn't personally see any shaming, but maybe other people have). Yet people actively say they despise Phil's wide-eyed, or open mouthed, or terrified sort of look, saying they hate seeing it, frequently. (This is me, I'm shading myself). Yet, wouldn't consider the possibility of him doing this out of the VERY same way Dan has given for his peace-signs.

With Phil being afraid of being seen serious-this is kind of interesting, people very much get a very happy, energetic Phil. And when we get serious, older, manly Phil, people are like
D A D D Y ! and it's kind of hilarious, in hindsight. After all, people kind of want something that's different to the typical content. (like the way people prefer soft!Dan to his danisnotonfire persona)
YASSS!! This is the type of content I'm looking for!! Thanks babes for this amazing analysis :platonic:

I especially adore what you said about his view of bullying and how it affected his life later on. I'm literally shocked he had such a calm demeanor when recalling his bully, especially since that bully seemed to be so aggressive and horrible to him :?

I remember watching him describe his childhood with a fondness like no other so I'm sure he focused on the good things he had like his collection of breeded hamsters and good friends that were willing to participate in his movies and enjoy his company, rather than that really aggressive guy that pushed him around. This video really was lovely advice to those entering high school with anxiety or even trying to fit it and change themselves for acceptance.

The teacher thing was also a great point! He is someone who does speak up when he feels the need to and doesn't seem like he's one to get pushed around. He comes off as very assertive and straight to the point. It's why he's usually in charge of writing the tumblr posts to the fans warning them off a certain behavior. It's also why he seems to do the majority of the emailing to other companies for the both of them (several examples shown in liveshows such as him emailing Sims headquarters for approval of using Dil).

He also seems to have a tendency to forgive and forget whereas Dan tends to boil. A more recent example was the sound guy in DAPGOOSE. Wheras Dan was annoyed and wanted to name the guy and call him out for his incompetence, Phil reeled it in because he didn't want to embarrass the guy despite the blunder he made and the frustrations it may have caused

I've noticed several things Phil tends to do that seem to come from being scared or nervous. He tends to shake alot or pulls an unattractive face when he feels like the focus in on him for too long. He also tends to blurt things without really filtering his thoughts because he can't think properly and ends up retreating into "weird" phil mode. I always found that to be a defense mechanism of sorts. Like I understand that he is naturally a bit strange, anyone watching him can see that, but sometimes he does it just for the sake of being weird and it's something I think manifested early on. Like he was afraid of being judged therefore he became as weird as possible therefore giving people an excuse to dislike him because he's so different.

Also the voice breaking is again explored in this video:

Looks like his grandma and his classmates at school teased him about having the high-pitched voice and now he's self-conscious about it. (Also included: some cringe heteronormativity yay )
anathema
morning quiff

captainspacecoat wrote:
anathema wrote: I don't think they're "sucking up" to him. I think the problem is that they're friends with him (obviously not super close but they're at least acquaintances) and they're also good friends with PJ who's good friends with him. Because they actually know him it becomes a lot more trickier to call him out. Obviously I still wish they would say something, but it makes sense why they might be reluctant to do so.
Maybe I worded my point badly, but I guess I moreso meant the youtube community at large never call him out on anything. Things like Grace Helbig reiterating her support for his video on intention the other day suggest to me that many big (mostly white) youtubers are more interested in saving face than acknowledging that this guy has crossed a line.

In terms of d&p I guess it is different in terms of the fact that they do have a relationship with him. That, plus the fact that they're probably well aware that if they were to bring it up the drama would be exacerbated, and they never involve themselves in youtube drama, especially when it doesn't involve them directly (understandably).

Even so, I think it is still possible to remain friends with someone while simultaneously refusing to excuse their problematic behaviour. If more youtubers Felix respects called him out, maybe he'd actually listen. I get that they know him better than we do blah blah blah, but that doesn't change the fact that what Felix did was genuinely harmful, regardless of "intent", and I felt uncomfortable at him being mentioned in a mostly positive light.

I don't know, my feelings on this are complicated and obviously I'm not gonna unstan d&p for mentioning Felix or anything, I just wish things like saying the n word and making anti-semitic comments would be taken more seriously by the youtube community. Or maybe I'm just extra salty today because of the inauguration, idk, it's been a horrifying 24 hours
I agree with this, I just meant that because they actually know him it would probably more difficult for them to call him out rather than someone they don't know.
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
Winston
flower crown

Other than that though, my fave moment was the part when Dan read out "i am your husband", literally means nothing at all but was still cute

Also missemma I'm from Melbourne and it's really been such an awful time, thank you for thinking of us On a similar note, my condolences to everyone in America right now, what a shitty day
This was the first video I actually enjoyed with happy wheels. so that's something, since I normally like Jack and Mark as well but watching them play it I noped out every time because I thought it was an "eh" game. I am loving the time stamps guys. but haven't seen this one (did i miss it? if so soz. it's been a long shity day here in the US.) but at around

16:30 something small and white passed in the background by the board. Do they still have a mouse problem?

I too found the Felix mention at the beginning irritating (?) he is definitely gone beyond "problematic dad" in my book. I was never a fan of his in the first place, but now I just...yeah. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that he is good friends with PJ, who seems like the sweetest person, as well as with deppy. I side eye them hard for this friendship.

+1 on the whole I am your husband part too.

Very sorry to hear about what happened in Melbourne as well. Hope all is well with those you know and love. And thanks for thinking of us here in the US. It's going to be a LONG 4 years. I pray to god, all the saints, and anything else that will listen that it is just 4 years and not 8. It has been a truly shitty day all around.

I also have been loving the Philnalysis. I am always up for more of that since we do tend to lean towards Danentric bants.
actions speak louder than words
melon lord
morning quiff

000dia000 wrote:The gaming video was a bit of a mess, not my favorite, but I exhaled through my nose a few times.

I found it funny that people found the video choice a safe, easy bet. Yet, I was actually surprised that deppy were actually conforming with YouTube trends and popular games (I had a similar thought when they made Yandere Simulator and gang Beasts) as, let's be honest, they either seemed to do spon or flash games for so long it did not even seem like it was targeting anybody outside of the phandom who had casual interest in watching gamers. I mean, it's a cheap, easy game but it was a bit violent for their usual PG kind of choices (to an extent, though), these are the people that trigger-warned yandere simulator and openly stated their reluctance to play it due to its content. Yet, like the homoerotic and sexual comments in Gang Beasts, other comments in this included "eating ass" and thrusting motions. Then a very dark tangent of necrophilia and cannabilism. While they have also progressed with their comfort around each other, they've also seemed to progress with not really being as PG with their fans, and kind of replacing sexual innuendos with even darker ones. Kind of interesting, I'm interested in seeing how this goes.
Then again, I don't want them to go too far, they've already seemed to clear Felix. Let's hope they dont lower themselves to edge-lord content.

In a lot of ways, I didn't really find this video exactly ground breaking at first. But then the rather dark comments kind of reaffirmed the realization of "post baking universe." And as other people have pointed out, the casual touchiness they now share with each other
i'm late and tired as heck but I remember the discussion on the trigger warning of yandere

i think they are trying to consciously take a more restrained approach when it comes to female-oriented (basing this loosely pls don't attack me) topics such as harassment/abuse/sexualisation, for a lot of people the game is very "off" so i can imagine why they'd put a disclaimer, whereas uhm... how do I phrase this... homoerotic jokes seem less likely to be "flagged" as offensive

I wonder if this started near the tatinof tour when they probably saw in physical flesh just how many young fans they have. until then, google analytics or stalking fan accounts was probably your best bet of understanding, but actually seeing them in person is another deal entirely.

yes both dan and phil made these types of slightly crude jokes about women but they were also immature in the way people their age often are. and now with age, some wisdom and a whole lotta young fans under their belt, I theorise they are trying to be more respectful towards an "avatar" of what is essentially a huge part of their fanbase

lbr the attitude fans would have if a lot of the sexual jokes were towards women, would be very different. going for homoerotic subtext is considered less "offensive" and I'm not taking into account their comfort levels with making these jokes, I just mean strictly on a ratio of hetero/homo. Adding their own comfort into the discussion steers off into another topic because there's no reason why you have to stop making female sexy jokes if you make "gay" sexy jokes, why not both? but the "balance" between the two has dropped significantly and they seem more held back when making any sort of comment about a female character in a game

in hindsight if that means that it may have a positive effect on an impressionable fan I am all for it, although I dislike the other extreme which is the idolisation of "gay relationships" as though it's some mystical thing you can mould and shape to fit your narrative and context but that's a story for another day~

---

as for their plans I kind of feel that they are trying to go into joint branding not just for their future but also as a weight off their shoulders. getting up to the point we are today both had to work equally as hard on their own, as dan and phil, and even now people comment on the imbalanced sub count, even though on a sub-to-view ratio Phil does really well because his views reflect almost to a T his sub count. they still relied on their separate brands and channels and using the games channel means they can focus on that as a duo, professionally, and their individual channels no longer have that pressure to succeed and they are more free to be creative on it, with a schedule they feel comfortable with, whereas it's... well... it really IS easier to crank out gaming videos when you have two people + good chemistry + no need for script or sets or scenario = it all just writes itself, honestly. then they have their own channel as their personal outlet, which in the past they depended on to survive. and not to mention liveshows or even merchandise. no matter what you believe or how you view them, professionally speaking joining up is better for them, their mentality and their wallet. they reap the benefits from every outlet without the added stress of performing well enough in either aspect. No need for competition, emotionally or from us, when you get dan and phil games you get both of them, which is honestly what a lot of fans want anyway, so it's two birds with one stone.

sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

Latest gaming video was ok, the funny part for me is how bad Phil is at this :lol: .
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

I loved the new gaming video! It reminded me of gang beasts because it made me laugh out loud at the silly graphics and their reactions. And with the names at the end...they are now literally identifying as the couple in the game. :lol: Phil being horrendously bad (and Dan's subsequent reactions) was so funny.

another melburnian here. thank you for thinking of us. the cbd tragedy was only on the news for me, but i know many others were not as lucky. woke up this morning to trump and it took the deppy video to get my spirits up again.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Winston wrote:

16:30 something small and white passed in the background by the board. Do they still have a mouse problem?
omg i just went back and looked and you're right! maybe it's just a bit of fluff floating by? or a trick of the light? how weird
Winston wrote:
I too found the Felix mention at the beginning irritating (?) he is definitely gone beyond "problematic dad" in my book. I was never a fan of his in the first place, but now I just...yeah. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that he is good friends with PJ, who seems like the sweetest person, as well as with deppy. I side eye them hard for this friendship.

+1 on the whole I am your husband part too.

Very sorry to hear about what happened in Melbourne as well. Hope all is well with those you know and love. And thanks for thinking of us here in the US. It's going to be a LONG 4 years. I pray to god, all the saints, and anything else that will listen that it is just 4 years and not 8. It has been a truly shitty day all around.
Same, a lot of side-eyeing from me for sure.

And thank you so much for your concern, thankfully all my loved ones are safe but it took place in a part of the city where I go all the time and I have friends that work right where it happened, so it hit close to home. And god yeah, politically, the world really looks to be going to shit. All my love to everyone who's resisting

Edit: mysterylovescompany I hope you're okay my fellow Melbournian, even though it maybe didn't affect us directly it's such a scary thing to happen and so close to home, and the fact that so many children were involved is so so awful :platonic:
secretagentphan
procrastinator

Haven't watched the video yet, but :roll: at the pewdiepie mention. I don't want to defend them shrugging off his racist behaviors, but I'll kind of play the Devils advocate for a minute. This doesn't make what they did okay, but I think it's awkward when you know someone personally then see them act like an idiot in a completely different way than you know them. I think Dan calling him a problematic dad was his way of acknowledging that what he did isn't okay and he doesn't support it, but he doesn't want to publicly slam his "friend." I don't agree with that approach but I understand why he did it. It's similar but not nearly as bad as pewdiepie with Zoella. She gets caught doing shady shit all the time, but they won't say anything because she's nice to them when they see her at events, so it's just awkward basically. I wish they wouldn't do it but I somewhat understand that they're in a horrible situation. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm defending them because hearing that Dan said that actually irritated the shit out of me.
Reizam
butt chair

LeftHandedism wrote: I'm living for Dan patting Phil's thigh at 8:30, saying "You really are AmazingPhil, your brand is so accurate!"
This is why I love visiting IDB after every vid... I like to see if anyone spotted anything I missed the first time. I'm hopping in the trash can with you on that

I'll admit, I really hoped that the magical atmosphere from gamingmas wasn't temporary, and thankfully I still feel that vibe as we continue into the new year. Despite the state of the world, I look forward to see what "Deppy in 2017" has in store.
Last edited by Reizam on Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

secretagentphan wrote:Haven't watched the video yet, but :roll: at the pewdiepie mention. I don't want to defend them shrugging off his racist behaviors, but I'll kind of play the Devils advocate for a minute. This doesn't make what they did okay, but I think it's awkward when you know someone personally then see them act like an idiot in a completely different way than you know them. I think Dan calling him a problematic dad was his way of acknowledging that what he did isn't okay and he doesn't support it, but he doesn't want to publicly slam his "friend." I don't agree with that approach but I understand why he did it. It's similar but not nearly as bad as pewdiepie with Zoella. She gets caught doing shady shit all the time, but they won't say anything because she's nice to them when they see her at events, so it's just awkward basically. I wish they wouldn't do it but I somewhat understand that they're in a horrible situation. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm defending them because hearing that Dan said that actually irritated the shit out of me.
Idk because Dan liked a tweet from PewDiePie the other day and not only does he talk about him in the video (Phil does too so he's also being side eyed) but he also said he was Felix's friend in one of his Facebook replies to the video which shows that, at the very least, they are still publicly standing with him.