Dan & Phil Part 37: A better way to live

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
SquishPhan
capita£ester
Pronouns: she/her

Happy that Phil retweeted this. :D
000dia000
emo goose

SquishPhan wrote: Happy that Phil retweeted this. :D
Making a statement about support for women's march and LGBT+ issues indirectly
:cactus:
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

Aw, I saw that in my feed and didn't even realize it was Phil who retweeted it. :D
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

papierklemmen
flower crown

lol ian mckellen and patrick stewart are deffo friendship goals.
kuensukki
janice from the shop

000dia000 wrote:
He also unfollowed the POTUS twitter account!! For someone who usually remains neutral this is a pretty great thing to see him do. Also Cornelia and Martyn both posted pictures and messages of support so I'm guessing it's something the Lester clan is passionate about
secretagentphan
procrastinator

kuensukki wrote:
000dia000 wrote:
He also unfollowed the POTUS twitter account!! For someone who usually remains neutral this is a pretty great thing to see him do. Also Cornelia and Martyn both posted pictures and messages of support so I'm guessing it's something the Lester clan is passionate about
Unfollowing the POTUS account and retweeting that is loud and clear and speaking out perfectly loud. so proud
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

If you followed #POTUS it kept you as a follower even though the new administration took the hashtag over. You have to go in and physically unfollow #POTUS. Obama's archived account is now #POTUS44.

Twitter has been notified...there have been plenty of people who are now following #POTUS and don't want to be.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

jesuisunèléve wrote:If you followed #POTUS it kept you as a follower even though the new administration took the hashtag over. You have to go in and physically unfollow #POTUS. Obama's archived account is now #POTUS44.

Twitter has been notified...there have been plenty of people who are now following #POTUS and don't want to be.
Well, I certainly had a traumatic moment when I had to manually unfollow, but I think that's better than automatically dumping all the followers.

Also, it seems as though they automagically made you follow @POTUS44, which was cool, even though I guess I don't expect many tweets from it! :lol:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
secretagentphan
procrastinator

Extremely off topic but if someone wants to give me the rundown/lead my somewhere that explains what happened with the deppy gurugossip forum that'd be awesome. I stopped using it a while before that whole mess happened, I went back to see if I could figure it out but I just saw them banning everyone (probably for a dumb reason considering how evil some of them were lol) and it was wicked confusing. Just curious, thanks!!
SquishPhan
capita£ester

secretagentphan wrote:
kuensukki wrote:
000dia000 wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:
Unfollowing the POTUS account and retweeting that is loud and clear and speaking out perfectly loud. so proud
Good to hear that he unfollowed the POTUS twitter account.
Feel like this is a pretty clear message coming from Phil and I love it.
secretagentphan wrote:Extremely off topic but if someone wants to give me the rundown/lead my somewhere that explains what happened with the deppy gurugossip forum that'd be awesome. I stopped using it a while before that whole mess happened, I went back to see if I could figure it out but I just saw them banning everyone (probably for a dumb reason considering how evil some of them were lol) and it was wicked confusing. Just curious, thanks!!
http://indepthbants.com/topic2.html
This should help.
Last edited by SquishPhan on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

secretagentphan wrote:Extremely off topic but if someone wants to give me the rundown/lead my somewhere that explains what happened with the deppy gurugossip forum that'd be awesome. I stopped using it a while before that whole mess happened, I went back to see if I could figure it out but I just saw them banning everyone (probably for a dumb reason considering how evil some of them were lol) and it was wicked confusing. Just curious, thanks!!
There's a big thread about it here!

http://indepthbants.com/topic2.html
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

secretagentphan wrote:
kuensukki wrote:
000dia000 wrote:

This made me v happy! I feel like after berating them so much over the Pewdiepie mention yesterday, I should really acknowledge when they've done something right. Given that Phil tends to stay quiet about anything politically controversial, it's really nice to see him inadvertently expressing his support for the women's march, and I noticed he followed Obama's original account too which is nice to see. Obviously this is the bare minimum and it's a dog so it's still on brand blah blah blah, but its' lovely to see him even slightly involving himself with social justice on twitter, I hope he continues
malday
emo goose

SquishPhan wrote:
Love Phil giving a political opinion, even if subtle!

Thinking more in depth about the pewdiepie mention in their video:
While, i don't like it, i don't agree that it means in any way they support his assholish behavior, or they are trivializing it just because they mentioned him.

Like dontpanic said a few pages back, in that video they quoted, Felix was smug and shitted on other gamers, and basically called everybody who still plays happy wheels faking it for views. A lot of people saw that video and a lot of people agreed with him.

So in that context, it makes sense that they prefaced their video like that, defending their choice of game.
And considering their no-drama, no-calling out people policy, i take Dan calling him "problematic" as a subtle dig. Actually, I take the whole video as a dig against Felix's attitude in his video.

And "problematic dad" isn't too far off from how the fangirls treat Felix. The majority of the phandom doesn't seem to have a problem with him either, they still flock to his videos if deppy are mentioned in them.
But i like that in the gaming video's comments people are making references to Jacksepticeye's happy wheels song and pewdipie is mostly ignored.

P.S. mr-i'm-not-playing-videogames-anymore-felix is pulling a Zalfie and playing the Sims with Marzia on her channel i love irony!
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i loved their happy wheels video :3 i even found myself laughing out loud! i didn't mind them mentioning felix bc, idk i mean it was just a small mention, nothing serious.

also glad to see phil retweeted that puppy pic :3
:transheart:
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

Dan retweeted this: :platonic:
lurkin
squish
Pronouns: they/them

A part of me wants to believe that they went to the London march, but I know that they probably didn't. Which is totally fine because I don't think they (or anyone outside America really) should feel obligated to engage in American politics. America has already demanded so much, ya know. We're the ones that fucked up. But I digress.

Basically, in short I mean that it would be cool if D&P had gone, but if they didn't it's nbd. The tweets were enough to express to me their sentiments towards the issue, and I'm so glad that they did.

[offtopic]Did anyone else go to the marches today? I went to the one in Chicago, and it was lit. Like 250,000 people showed up. [/offtopic]
✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ugh *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
kuensukki
janice from the shop

lurkin wrote:A part of me wants to believe that they went to the London march, but I know that they probably didn't. Which is totally fine because I don't think they (or anyone outside America really) should feel obligated to engage in American politics. America has already demanded so much, ya know. We're the ones that fucked up. But I digress.

Basically, in short I mean that it would be cool if D&P had gone, but if they didn't it's nbd. The tweets were enough to express to me their sentiments towards the issue, and I'm so glad that they did.

[offtopic]Did anyone else go to the marches today? I went to the one in Chicago, and it was lit. Like 250,000 people showed up. [/offtopic]
I get what you mean! After coming home I was filled with passion towards the subject, people and I'd wish that they marched as well because it really is an amazing invigorating feeling. Also almost all the ytbers including Tyler, Connor, Mamrie, Markplier all marched in support so it would have been cool if deppy did too. That being said I can never imagine them marching just because they tend to shy away from being stuck in a middle of a crowd and it might have got overwhelming

[offtopic]I went to the one in Sacramento and it was really great to see!! The turnout wasn't 250,000 though :o :o[/offtopic]
secretagentphan
procrastinator

mysterylovescompany wrote:Dan retweeted this: :platonic:
This made me feel a lot better honestly, I'm glad they both supported the cause. I don't watch pewdiepie so it never occurred to me that they could've been slightly shading him. I hope that's the case. I was really upset about the Trump thing so I may have gotten a little too upset. I still think it deserved to be discussed and criticized and it was way too brushed off on tumblr, but they probably didn't mean it as supporting him.
Aurdie
spork

Yeah, the Chicago March/Rally was amazing. Nice that the cops just let everyone in the streets when the march overflowed (they actually cancelled the march because of the unexpectedly high number of attendees....and it became a rally instead) and no one (ahem, cops) overreacted.
"If you have an exit strategy it's not an obsession." - Mark Cuban
lappelduvide
tol bean

I believe Dan was just moving the mouse so as to not have it on the screen while recording. There are countless examples of him moving the mouse on that side, including in that video.
(But I appreciate your phan goggles, as a person who 100% believes they're together)
human
dan hand trash

mysterylovescompany wrote:
secretagentphan wrote: Yes as a left handed person I am also baffled by this. I guess it depends on the person but I'm so left handed it's almost crippling and I still use the mouse with my right hand.
I am mostly left-handed and use the mouse with my left hand on my own computer. But I grew up with shared computers and of course these always had the mouse on the right, so I'm comfortable either way. The benefit of having the mouse on the left on your own computer is that no one ever asks to borrow it for a minute :lol:

such a great contribution to the thread, smh
Finally people can understand that Dan isn't some mean, nasty, Phil-bullying control freak who demands controls of his own gaming computer at all times, but rather that his computer is setup left-handed for himself thus it's too tricky for Phil to take over quickly and remember to use the buttons the other way around.

It's a pet peeve of mine that I see a lot in the fandom; people bullying Dan because he never lets Phil play. There is a practical explanation, besides the fact Dan is just better at it (Undertale battles for example).

I'm pretty sure there's a game they played where Phil kept clicking the buttons the wrong way around and playing badly, but it was prolly because they couldn't be bothered to reconfigure the mouse and Phil couldn't remember to left click for right.

Lol I work in IT Support within a large company and when users don't tell me they are left handed, I remote in and wreck havoc immediately and it's SO hard to remember to right click by default.
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

largely off topic by now, but i wanted to add something quick to the "deer in headlights" discussion. i don't know if it's interesting or relevant, but i haven't seen someone comment on this who regularly does the same selfie face, so it might be? for me it's a go-to expression because i'm extremely self-conscious about how my smile looks in (a lot of) photos. as phil often covers his mouth with his hands when he's laughing, i have a feeling it might be possible it's for similar reasons.
thank's you were great
koalaselfie
living flop

Probably should post this in the Pewdiepie thread, but I promise I'll tie in the Happy Wheels vid as well :D
I am beyond glad that you guys are so disappointed in the Felix mention. As somebody here did say, Dan just seems to be a fan of 'edgelord' humour and D+P are also somewhat acquaintances IRL with Melix, plus the fact that the mention seemed to be intentionally to annoy Felix by playing Happy Wheels...BUT this does not excuse any mention of him at all to be honest.
Winston and Catallena, your wonderfully eloquent posts summed up the issue for me, (where's that 'like post' button when you need it? No shade for IDB btw , just would have liked to thank you both!) particularly these parts:
Winston wrote:Don’t get me wrong if he had 3 subscribers it would still be a problem, but he has influence and he is abusing that power and influencing people in the worst way. We already have horrible people showing the idiots of the world it's okay to treat other people like crap, at least he (if he is at all a decent person, which I doubt highly now) could show that people with power and influence can also be good and humane and worthy of the fucking power/popularity they have.

Sorry, I may have gotten a little bit of my trump hate mixed in with this rant, but still I think it's valid. :?
Catallena wrote: I give them a lot of passes on always keeping quiet about serious issues within the YouTube community (probably more than I should), but this was different. D&P didn't do their normal 'ignore-everything-let's-talk-houseplants' thing, they actively gave Felix a shoutout in their video and then made a joke about him being legit problematic (god I hate that word, it really has lost all meaning). That means they enabled his behavior and I'm really can't make excuse for that. I just can't. It's dangerous. Problematic fave is a cute name for a celeb who fucks up sometimes but does generally try to not be shit human being. Felix is not one of those people. I assume he knows how to work Google and has every opportunity to educate himself (hell people even try to do it for him) but he chooses not to do that. It proves he doesn't care.

I used to be a lot more tolerant of people like Felix, then I woke and realized they don't tolerate or respect me and never will, and that being a pushover won't help in winning battles for equality. Always tolerating things like this helped that orange foreskin get into the White House. I have officially stopped caring about being 'intolerant' to these people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've said this before in the Pewdiepie thread; we could all do with a little less tolerance towards white men and their bullshit. We don't have to keep bending over backwards and make excuses for them while trying to be as saintly as possible, because they will never care.

Felix quite literally can't take criticism at all and is a massive egotist; I honestly don't understand how Marzia deals with such a d-bag, even if the 'pewdiepie persona' is an exaggerated version.

Anyway, the HW vid was like a 5/10 for me. I didn't really find it funny, but deppy seemed really fond.
The "single bachelor" comment really caught my attention because of the running detail that neither have openly mentioned being single in a while (?) but obviously Dan's laugh downplayed the significance; and it was referring to a character in the game and not them IRL...right? :lol:
The game did seem a little overly graphic (and the necrophilia mention made me a bit queasy, ngl) for their audience but hey, I've just remembered how popular Happy Wheels is with Jacksepticeye for example, who has a largely young audience, so
Also, there's this little voice in my head saying "They're playing Happy Wheels because it's clickable, aghhh" but I think Felix has temporarily brainwashed me and so I'm trying to ignore those suspicions.

edited to add: Both the boys' Twitter support for the Women's Marches
This is what positions of power should entail Felix.
Last edited by koalaselfie on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:cherryblossom: ~when ur sad, remember the deppy japan trip of 2015~ :cherryblossom:
bluebox-away
woodland creature

Hi everybody, I'm back from my monthlong disappearance into "oh my god these exams actually count and affect my future ahhhhh''. I'm behind af, barely managed to keep up with videos and liveshows let alone read here or anything, so I'm like 2 threads behind as well but don't have time to read everything back at the moment

tldr. not dead, just busy with real life stuff, and I'm kinda back for the time being until uni gets intense again hope eveyone's well and anyone who went to a Women's March had a great day, my heart is so warmed by the number of people standing up for such an important cause
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem