Dan & Phil Part 37: A better way to live

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff
Pronouns: she/her

I love Dan's little remarks in between teasing like 'come on Phil' and him giving him tips and a few seconds later just going 'why am I helping you'
I don't have an issue nor do I think Phil did with Dan making fun of him do you really think Dan would do that other than a joke and hurt Phil's feelings? I do that all the time with my best friend when we play games and vice versa.

Nooo page top why
:D
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

I loved that. Off to a good start with "robot dabbling", and then lots of questionable drawing plans from Phil. :lol: The way he conceptualizes everyday objects is interesting, although not an advantage in this game. To be fair, I think I would do just as bad with my wrong hand, but maybe not as bad as Dan's interpretation of a beach.
simmehchan
butt chair

Dan's explained the harsh bants before. (in a slightly condescending way but it was 2013 what do ya expect)

"I think stalking someone to become their friend is rather weird" - Phil Lester, 2006
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd

simmehchan wrote:

Dan's explained the harsh bants before. (in a slightly condescending way but it was 2013 what do ya expect)
Yeah, I've seen that before. I get that he's trying to be funny but sometimes it comes across as harsh. I just wish Phil would give back as much shit as he takes sometimes that's all.
Idk, maybe all friends are like this.
Sorry if I say something wrong. My first language is sarcasm. I've never really learned English
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

lerien wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:
bluntedclaws wrote:I'm about 10 minutes into the new vid and I've had to stop watching in order to calm down. How does Phil put up with the continuous stream of ridicule. They're not "Banting". Dans being an asshole imo. Yes Phils drawings are terrible but Dan's aren't that great either. If I was Phil I would probably have left the room or hit him.
Aaaaagggh it's so stressful to watch. :(
I know Dan feels like he has to keep talking to fill the silence and Phil is being REALLY quiet, but he's probably quiet BECAUSE Dan is heckling him.
I just want to slap Dan and take Phil out of the room and hug him.
I actually think we're seeing Phil still in the midst of transition between AmazingPhil instincts and actual Phil instincts. I don't for a second thing in their real life when playing a game that Phil would put up with that much heckling from Dan without giving back just as good as he was getting, but Phil isn't used to showing that kind of interaction at all. I was pleased when Phil did actually snap back at him a couple of times.

(I also don't think Dan's heckling really bothers Phil. I don't think Dan would do it if it really bothered Phil. I just think because we're so used to AmazingPhil being this gentle creature of sunshine and cinnamon that it pains us more to see him be yelled at.)
I quite agree. I think that on a daily basis, they sass each other all the time but Phil just would not do this on camera (sometimes, sass slips from him though. I live for these moments). He seemed to change a bit and ditch his "sweet" persona on DAPG though (I'm also thinking about his checky sexual innuendos here).
Plus, Dan has a really abrasive sense of humour but I kind of feel that Phil shares it.
Don't ask me for examples because they are so few and far between but every so often something totally sassy slips out of Phil and it is LIFE.

For some reason, I never thought Dan was being "mean" to Phil. I don't think Dan is capable of such a thing, to be honest. Dan is just...well, Dan. He's a screaming, opinionated mess and you can tell it totally turns Phil's crank.

Phil is absolute shit at some of these games, though. He really is.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I had the opposite reaction to this video - I thought all of the teasing/heckling was in good fun and I actually thought Dan was being nice-especially with all of the encouragement he was giving him in between his mean remarks.
If I thought Phil was offended by the comments I'd have a different reaction but he was in a pretty great mood and joking right along. The only time recently that I've been slightly put off by Dan's attitude towards Phil would have been in their last joint ls when he was humming while Phil was talking and that was because Phil looked irritated.

Really though-who can you annoy if you can't annoy your best friend? I'm actually living for the rise of sassy Phil and teasing Dan - much better than how it used to be with "overly loud, deflection" Dan and "wide-eyed, staring at the camera" Phil
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

Amiaw wrote:I had the opposite reaction to this video - I thought all of the teasing/heckling was in good fun and I actually thought Dan was being nice-especially with all of the encouragement he was giving him in between his mean remarks.
If I thought Phil was offended by the comments I'd have a different reaction but he was in a pretty great mood and joking right along. The only time recently that I've been slightly put off by Dan's attitude towards Phil would have been in their last joint ls when he was humming while Phil was talking and that was because Phil looked irritated.
i got a similar reaction, and i think it's also fair to assume that if phil was actually bothered by any of it, he'd tell dan to stop and they'd cut it out. from all we know about them it'd be extremely surprising if it turned out they don't communicate on how they act towards each other in their joint videos.

i personally liked the video, phil's brain works in mysterious ways. i was constantly being torn between being amazed about his interpretation and screaming "GO SLOW PHIL" internally. it also had cute moments like dan's face during the second take introduction, in-sync deppy striking again with "bee", the robot dance, the best of three / three rounds discussion, and the typical "why am i helping you" moments. if anything got slightly on my nerves, it was dan's constant commentary while he was drawing, like "ohhh i'm just gonna draw this and then this" :roll: but it also seemed like he was genuinely trying to help phil by doing that. i hope they'll play something where phil is good better than dan some time again.
thank's you were great
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Philena wrote:I loved the game! Dan heckled Phil exactly how I heckle my loved ones during an intense and silly game. I can see why some think it's mean, but I think it's normal with exciting game play
Exactly this
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
pearshaped34
morning quiff

As much as I love DAPG (and I really do love it) I do wish they weren't so mismatched at gaming in general so that it could feel like there was a sense of competition more than once or twice a year.
Other than the javelin segment of the exercise video during gamingmas (which Dan won overall) I'm really struggling to remember anything where Phil was just obviously so much better than Dan whereas out of the games they've played this year that aren't the Sims (Happy Wheels, the baby/daddy role-play thing and this drawing game) Dan was just clearly better in all.

Admittedly I'd rather the unevenness than Dan faking being bad to put them on a level playing field but I do feel like I'd personally enjoy some of their videos more if they were more evenly matched players.(That being said I make no secret I'm mostly hear for the bants).

Also relating this to the topic everyone else is discussing I do actually think this is one of the reasons D&Ps banter seems so one-sided, Phil is usually doing worse than Dan and the one losing is not in such a good position to mock.
I do think Phil can dish it out though when the opportunity arises, going back to the javelin thing mentioned above when dan utterly mucked that up Phil not only got up to make fun when Dan threw the thing but then was still sassy when they got their scores asking if Dan got his points just for showing up.
And while I can't think of a great deal of examples right now I do think in general if Dan does something dumb or even fumbles a sentence Phil doesn't hesitate to give it a bit of sass. I don't think the making fun of the other thing is as one-sided as some people may think.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

pearshaped34 wrote:I do think Phil can dish it out though when the opportunity arises, going back to the javelin thing mentioned above when dan utterly mucked that up Phil not only got up to make fun when Dan threw the thing but then was still sassy when they got their scores asking if Dan got his points just for showing up. And while I'm drawing a blank right now I do think in general if Dan does something dumb in real life or fumbles a sentence Phil doesn't hesitate to give it a bit of sass. I don't think the making fun of the other thing is as one-sided as some people may think.
If Dan fumbled something that badly (and consistently as opposed to just a failed first attempt) while Phil actually consistently did good at it - I don't think that would ever make it into a video. It's fine when Phil is bad, and it's fine when they're both bad, but just Dan? Nah. I think he'd nix the video first.

(But I think that has more to do with it being a video and less to do with their dynamic. Privately I think all bets are off, if it was just them Dan could take it and all the heckling that came with it - but I think to Dan there's a difference in losing, and in losing in front of other people who aren't Phil. Just look at how uncomfortable he is when he actually messes up in the speech jammer video with Cat and how quickly Phil responds to that in the "Stop bullying me." "Okay." exchange.)
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

Amiaw wrote:I had the opposite reaction to this video - I thought all of the teasing/heckling was in good fun and I actually thought Dan was being nice-especially with all of the encouragement he was giving him in between his mean remarks.

Really though-who can you annoy if you can't annoy your best friend? I'm actually living for the rise of sassy Phil and teasing Dan - much better than how it used to be with "overly loud, deflection" Dan and "wide-eyed, staring at the camera" Phil
Yes I loved it when Phil snapped back a few times telling Dan to shut up etc and I would love to see more of his sassy side
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote:
pearshaped34 wrote:I do think Phil can dish it out though when the opportunity arises, going back to the javelin thing mentioned above when dan utterly mucked that up Phil not only got up to make fun when Dan threw the thing but then was still sassy when they got their scores asking if Dan got his points just for showing up. And while I'm drawing a blank right now I do think in general if Dan does something dumb in real life or fumbles a sentence Phil doesn't hesitate to give it a bit of sass. I don't think the making fun of the other thing is as one-sided as some people may think.
If Dan fumbled something that badly (and consistently as opposed to just a failed first attempt) while Phil actually consistently did good at it - I don't think that would ever make it into a video. It's fine when Phil is bad, and it's fine when they're both bad, but just Dan? Nah. I think he'd nix the video first.

(But I think that has more to do with it being a video and less to do with their dynamic. Privately I think all bets are off, if it was just them Dan could take it and all the heckling that came with it - but I think to Dan there's a difference in losing, and in losing in front of other people who aren't Phil. Just look at how uncomfortable he is when he actually messes up in the speech jammer video with Cat and how quickly Phil responds to that in the "Stop bullying me." "Okay." exchange.)
That's an interesting observation. Maybe there ARE games that Phil is better at and they don't film them because Dan is afraid of looking bad. Lbr though, probably not. Poor Phil is hopelessly outmatched at most games it seems.
Sorry if I say something wrong. My first language is sarcasm. I've never really learned English
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

bluntedclaws wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:

That's an interesting observation. Maybe there ARE games that Phil is better at and they don't film them because Dan is afraid of looking bad. Lbr though, probably not. Poor Phil is hopelessly outmatched at most games it seems.
They're actually at 8 to 7 at the moment though in Dan vs Phil
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd

SexyTrashCan wrote:They're actually at 8 to 7 at the moment though in Dan vs Phil
I guess it's hard to quantify but it seems like Dan tends to win by a much larger margin whereas Phil just scrapes a win or wins on "all or nothing" a lot of the time. There's also non DvP games like gangbeasts where Dan was clearly miles better but it didn't go on the scoreboard. (Phil's also more likely to cheat as Human pointed out.)
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

Surprisingly I did not find Dan as annoying even when he was loud and brash, mainly because Phil seemed to enjoy himself so much drawing artistically/badly however you want to interpret it :lol:
secretagentphan
procrastinator

I think Dan is more into gaming than Phil in general when it comes to being a serious gamer, so that's why he tends to win more. Phil seems to be like me where he likes gaming for fun but he's not intensely into it. I have friends like Dan who pride themselves in being good at games and I'll only win sometimes out of luck. Even watching Dan play Mario Cart was scary, that boy has strategy.

I really don't get when people think Dan is mean to Phil, if Phil cared they wouldn't put it in the video. I don't think we can tell who's mean to who and what they fight about based on edited videos. It seems to me that Dan teases, but Phil gets it and overall Dan seems to be extremely encouraging to Phil when it comes down to serious things. I might have this opinion because I come from a big family of teasers though so everyone has different perceptions. I just don't think it's good to harshly judge someone and make big claims like that based on a video they put out. I'd understand if it was a liveshow but imo gaming videos are clearly carefully exited and light hearted.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

bluntedclaws wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:

If that theory is true and Dan is really so uncomfortable with losing in front of an audience, maybe he shouldn't have started a series where he 'competitively' plays games against someone. :| :roll:

Like I feel for him, but jfc why does he keep setting himself up like this? He doesn't enjoy playing games in front of an audience (at least not games he actually cares for), he doesn't want to lose in front of an audience.. I've been really loving DAPG lately and it remains my favorite thing they currently do, but I'm just so confused sometimes about what they were thinking it was gonna be like when they launched the channel.

Phil being the worse gamer by faaaar has honestly made DvsP less enjoyable for me.. It's barely a competition at this point (half the point of gamingmas was getting Phil back on equal grounds with Dan on the scoreboard again, by any means necessary..) and I'm literally only there for the bantz. Which I did enjoy a lot this episode, but I do also agree that it's a bit one sided at times. Maybe I wouldn't mind as much if we saw Phil play more in other videos like The Sims, but he stopped handling the gameplay after teaching Dan how to do the basics. Dan is a controlfreak who likes to handle his own shit, I get it, but again.. what did they imagine a joint gaming channel was gonna be like??

These boys man... I love the everlasting fuck out of them but they're so frustrating at the same time. Not trying to hate on Dan at all btw before the Dan biased people come at me, my frustration very much lies with the both of them.. :thumb: I also don't think that Dan is actually mean to Phil at all (see the famous vyou answer that was posted already), I just wish Dan wouldn't only dish but also take it just as much and as gracefully. Create a more leveled playing field basically.. I think most of Dan's 'insults' go right by Phil anyways, he must be used to Dan being extra as hell by now :lol:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
sweetmm
angel bean

After thought; viewers tend to discuss a lot about Dan's kinks, but I seriously do think Phil's main kink is blindfold 8-)
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

sweetmm wrote:After thought; viewers tend to discuss a lot about Dan's kinks, but I seriously do think Phil's main kink is blindfold 8-)
Please do elaborate
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
sweetmm
angel bean

Catallena wrote:
sweetmm wrote:After thought; viewers tend to discuss a lot about Dan's kinks, but I seriously do think Phil's main kink is blindfold 8-)
Please do elaborate
Just the fact he was excited to do a blindfold drawing game for a continuation of their latest video; and thus far I think they had filmed at least 3 separate videos of them blindfolded.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

alittledizzy wrote: If Dan fumbled something that badly (and consistently as opposed to just a failed first attempt) while Phil actually consistently did good at it - I don't think that would ever make it into a video. It's fine when Phil is bad, and it's fine when they're both bad, but just Dan? Nah. I think he'd nix the video first.
Yeah I do agree that Phil is much more comfortable being an utter flop at gaming onscreen than Dan seems to be so Dan is able to have more fun with it than Phil does.
I still think though Phil himself is quite comfortable sassing Dan onscreen he's just willing to stop at any sign it's making Dan unhappy which seems to come a lot sooner and easier for Dan than it seems to for Phil.
I do think that goes both ways though and if Phil genuinely expressed that Dan's mocking made him unhappy he would stop. As that Katie Kaite clip shows Dan is clearly very affronted at the mere idea anyone could think he was actually mean to Phil so I don't think he'd continue to mock Phil if he thought Phil took it as more than a joke. :thumb:
SexyTrashCan wrote: They're actually at 8 to 7 at the moment though in Dan vs Phil
While on paper they might look close in scores to me it does kind of feel like they fudged a few things to get to that point.
Not to take Phil's victories away from him some of them have been questionable all or nothing wins where he wasn't necessarily the best player.
And in all honestly I do personally think some of gamingmas was set up for Phil to win and catch-up because they realised if Dan got a much higher lead there really would be no competition in it any more. There has to be hope Phil can get in the lead.
howarethelads
smol bean

Registered solely to squee over the Quick Draw video! SO much flirting and little glances - I actually cannot believe how adorable they are. For a while my interest in them died down but I really like their new relaxed vibe lately.
Philena
blobfish

I actually kinda like the fact that Phil isn't the best at the games. He still seems to enjoy them, and it's fun to cheer for him to come from behind or just scrape by to win.

I would personally love to see them do a Dan&Phil vs (insert some other in-sync duo) in a board game/charades type scenario. I think they would be unstoppable. They've got that psychic connection, for sure I like watching them compete against each other for entertainment's sake, but it is 100% more fun for me to watch them as a team.
dontpanic
#relatable

Philena wrote:I actually kinda like the fact that Phil isn't the best at the games. He still seems to enjoy them, and it's fun to cheer for him to come from behind or just scrape by to win.

I would personally love to see them do a Dan&Phil vs (insert some other in-sync duo) in a board game/charades type scenario. I think they would be unstoppable. They've got that psychic connection, for sure I like watching them compete against each other for entertainment's sake, but it is 100% more fun for me to watch them as a team.
Oh my god I don't know if I could live if this happened...we've heard so much about them teaming up in mario cart together I need to see this dynamic in action
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Oh, I would love to see them teaming up in Mario Kart too. Don't suppose we could still suggest that on Phil's community tab.

Loved the video, they're so funny whatever they play and the "ohmigod Phil, you lateral thinker" bants were great. Reminds me of a friend who lost a word association game cos he was the most out of the box thinker. It's a shame that means Phil loses a game, but the computer can only think so far. He was lovely in this video, though, defending and explaining himself and just looking pretty. Dan's hair too, such curls

I'm liking this upload schedule, perhaps shouldn't get used to it cos we never know what they're up to, but I like the way someone else put it about their individual videos cooking, that's good imagery.