Dan & Phil Part 38: Everlasting as the Sun

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Looking forward to the dentist and pain video, whenever that happens ;) good liveshow, he looked very cute in his pyjama top and fluffy hair. Great story about running/falling down the hill too.
tylerrjoseph
butt chair

emerald wrote:
Philena wrote:Hell, let's talk about Phil's thighs, too. I don't thigh shame. They both have amazing legs.
PHIL'S LEGS?? HELLO
zvezdochka wrote:So far we have psychotic french teacher, terrible, just terrible maths teacher, witch of a piano teacher... UK, are you okay there with your education system? Why were there so many weirdos in the field? :lol: Or was it just Dan's luck to encounter them all?
No idea about any other education system, but I have met quite a few eccentric teachers (we have quite a lot) and also there are a lot of old, strict teachers. But we also have young, funny teachers as well, so don't go thinking that British teachers are awful lol.
you guys should hear about the american public school teachers..... the things i've endured.......
Last edited by tylerrjoseph on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--> platform 7, manchester picadilly station
lishachi
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: she/her

emerald wrote:
anathema wrote:
Birdie wrote:
lishachi wrote:i don't know why this just popped into my mind but i remembered that Dan has another twitter account
has he ever explained this or gone more indepth about it? just wondering
Wasn't that around the time people started making accounts with his name and stuff? Maybe he just wanted to make sure he could have an account with his real name should he ever want it before a fan grabbed it? I'm sure if he hadn't done this that handle would be a fan account by now.
lishachi wrote:wow. what i meant to say was is this for when he drops his youtube channel/after youtube ends?
(i am tired)
Maybe not necessarily when he "drops" his YouTube channel but I do think he's not planning on being "danisnotonfire" forever. For other example, Dan's LTD is "Dan Howell LTD" (whereas Phil's is "AmazingPhil LTD"). And yeah, I'm sure he would rather have it himself than a random fan.
Also, he's broadcasting on #DanHowell while I think I remember that Phil broadcasts on #AmazingPhil?
I could be wrong, though. mandela effect
someone asked about it in the chat and he answered. coincidental i guess

nice live show, absolutely cracked up to the point of tears when he explained his fall, over dramatic or not it was hilarious.

the dentist thing :wtf: pain kink 100% confirmed. i thought he was joking on twitter before but he seemed pretty serious right now. no kinkshaming from me tho
:biflag: :blackheart:
000dia000
emo goose

So, Dan has mentioned both Phil's anxiety, as well as the mention of people diagnosing either one of them without any medical knowledge nothing to see here.

I'm happy he mentioned the film, "Hunt for the Wilderpeople " and I can't stress how wholesome it is.

I literally called Dan a Bastard though for teasing his strange, weird gift to Phil. Especially as he phrased it as if it was risqué, what could it possibly be? A strange rubber object?

I totally agree, even though he blatantly mentioned spending time with Phil for his birthday up north and was very much PHIL-PHIL-PHIL-PHIL-PHIL throughout, he didn't refer to Phil's family, so there's still that element of privacy/subtleness they're trying to emphasize.

Dan's very sexual mention about Marcus made me I wonder if people will even care about it? Think about it, something like that, maybe even only last year would have had people spamming IM SCREAMING. Now everything's quite chill, I wonder if he's happy about that, it's a calming notion to have, if considering their "slow and steady" way of opening up, that it genuinely seems to be working and people take statements like that very gently.

Also, Dan dismissive of nail varnish is interesting, and he again confirms discomfort with his casual audience being condescending and expectant of a certain standard and type of content that does not allow for breaks or fluff to come between, without heavy criticism.

He also seems to include Phil and his channel in with his work ethic and immediately refers to it as if he is a frequent contributer of content. So much so, that it feels now that their role on each others channels are irrevocably intertwined, yet can still put out "individual" content. I like seeing this kind of mutuality and partnership they have working close together.
:cactus:
papierklemmen
flower crown

lol this ls.

- the marcus/dan 1st reply, lol... time & place & you have abs, hmm? he was (probs) joking, but moments like this make me believe more in him being single and very horny than any kind of phan. gotta add this to the attraction list asap tho, it was very blatant, noice.

- why do people not believe they could have met with phil's friends on iom too? his grandparents live there, he probably has pals there, right? idk doesn't seem like particularly private to me.

- i relate to dan re: loving going to the dental hygienist and getting my teeth cleaned hard, yes daddy, but i don't have any kind of pain kink, weird, huh? i do bite my nails/skin around them and lips though, so i think it's more like... a bit of a self-calming-harm territory than kink. #coolstory

- we will probably never know what that inappropriate present to phil was. oh well.
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

Great ls, felt somehow very open and relaxed even if Dan didn't talk about Isle of Man and visiting Phil's parents, which is completely understandable and is really up to them if Deppy want to share this or not, I didn't sense any tension. I especially loved the bit about helping each other make videos and Dan referring to Phil as family and not backtracking in any way
I wonder about his comment about Marcus' sext, though, was it to further drive the point home about not being straight? It could have been more of an anti-phan/not in a relationship thing, I guess, but it would be a bit strange, there hasn't been any "single and ready to mingle" comments for a long time (if you don't count "I'm gonna cry and masturbate" from the diss track, sorry, I'm having a strange period in terms of believing phan is/isn't real right now, these boys and their contradictory stories, I stg :sideeye: shout out to the new FAQ, btw, oqua and felucca, you are seriously the best )
In other news, I found it interesting that it was Owen Jones who contacted Dan to ask to sign the letter in The Guardian - and that there weren't any more political comments in this ls. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, Dan clearly is someone who cares about these issues and maybe uses his interactions with audience as a distraction in the same way we might use deppy's videos as a distraction (I know I do). But it shows maybe the direction in which their content is - or isn't, in that case, going, I do think it's becoming more mature in its tone (especially with Phil) and more open if we're talking about their joint content, and Dan&Phil brand clearly isn't going anywhere, but there is no ambition to be more "serious" or anything like that (I feel like, yet again, I haven't expressed myself properly, but I can't think of a better way, what you're gonna do)
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
Philena
blobfish

I liked the ls. He loosened up after the first 10 minutes, and thus became more enjoyable for me. Funniest part for me was the Google AI deppy. I am also quite glad they are both working out. #DanAndPhilGETFIT

I mean, relationship or not, if someone you find hot sends you a sext, you're probably gonna consider it (many, many times)! I loved that part!
secretagentphan
procrastinator

LeftHandedism wrote:Watching the live show, I'm sad that Dan talked about "going up North" with Martyn and Cordelia to "see friends" for Phil's birthday. He doesn't mentions Isle of Man or the Lesters. So, not quite as out about family time as we like to suppose.

This LS is feeling a bit anti-phan (but that's probably just me :thumb: ). Oh, and now he talks about getting presents for "family" that are really for you in reference to getting Phil "crystal coasters", restoring balance to the universe.
I kind of feel like it was a given Dan would downplay the domesticness of that weekend. Clearly he was there for the friend AND family celebration. I didn't watch the liveshow though so who knows. I can never decide my final stance on phan, they are so damn confusing
iero
phabergé

Do you ever get your family presents that are secretly for you like i got Phil this coaster and i love it
did this happen? i've not watched the liveshow yet
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Timestamps later, but for now my highlights:

- Telling the story about someone catching Phil out jogging and asking for a picture, and how Phil was too nice of a person to say no even though he looked like a “sweaty rat.”

- The whiny impression of himself asking Phil for help while filming, trying to downplay how they do videos together but also at the same time not pretending they don’t.

- Talking about the “reasonable” anxiety Phil gets when it comes to neighbors and being judged as weird.

- Dan’s reaction to the sexy text from Marcus Butler, and realizing it must be a video: “For about thirty seconds, really got my hopes up.”

- Phil and his week long birthday celebration: “Smol bean deserves all the treats.” I think he meant for that tone to be more sarcastic than it was, but it didn’t really come off as sarcastic at all.

- He talked about two other birthday presents he got Phil, including one that I guess we don’t get to know about?

- Referring to Phil as family.

- Clarifying that he didn’t talk to anyone has a kid, which is why his parents didn’t know how much he hated the piano teacher. I’ve seen so many people assuming Dan’s parents should have known he was that miserable, but he was twelve - a twelve year old has the ability to withhold emotion if they choose to, and he clearly did. It is sad that he felt like he had no one to talk to, but I doubt it's because there was no one around willing to listen.

- Yet another mention of how he watches depressing movies when Phil is away. (Interesting addition of ‘or political things’ too - though it doesn’t surprise me to hear Phil isn’t super into political stuff.)
anathema
morning quiff

iero wrote:
Do you ever get your family presents that are secretly for you like i got Phil this coaster and i love it
That's paraphrasing, but yes.
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
yupitsme
sofa crease

Did you guys see the thumbnail Dan put for his livestream on YouTube? Amazing . I like that he took the effort to actually take this picture :lol:.
iero
phabergé

anathema wrote:
iero wrote:
That's paraphrasing, but yes.
thought so lol
ty!
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

Lmao, Dan changed the titles on his first three danisnotinteresting liveshows to be more clickbaity lol, and to get rid of the "Dan's Live Chat" labels and dates.

Trump, Tripping and Introspection - Dan's Live Chat 24/01/2017
So the Trump thing happened..

Hobbit Hair, Harry Potter and Hugs - Dan's Live Chat 17/01/2017
I have "Hobbit hair" now!

Hibernation Memes and Memories - Dan's Live Chat 10/01/2017
I'M BACK FROM HIBERNATION

busy being happy~
papierklemmen
flower crown

oqua wrote:Lmao, Dan changed the titles on his first three danisnotinteresting liveshows to be more clickbaity lol, and to get rid of the "Dan's Live Chat" labels and dates.

Trump, Tripping and Introspection - Dan's Live Chat 24/01/2017
So the Trump thing happened..

Hobbit Hair, Harry Potter and Hugs - Dan's Live Chat 17/01/2017
I have "Hobbit hair" now!

Hibernation Memes and Memories - Dan's Live Chat 10/01/2017
I'M BACK FROM HIBERNATION

that cheeky shit. :lol:

but the new one takes the cake with the clickbaity thumbnail and title. i bet it'll get over 1m views now.
flurry
living flop

It seems that every time I want to post on the forum the topic has already moved on! I'm gonna add my thoughts on the video before the topic moves to the LS :P

I loved the video! It really felt like old school Dan with his anecdotes and sketches and him taking on different roles. I also agree with others here that when he said evil piano teacher I was expecting rather more than what he made it out to be - where I'm from, piano teachers are notorious for hitting their students on the hands when they play poorly; which also turned me off even attempting to learn piano. It does remind me though of how important adults are to children when they're young?! I think Dan's piano stories don't seem that terrible but to a kid it could have meant a lot. I also feel that as a kid everything is magnified so Dan might not be overplaying his family situation etc. - it's just how he saw things at the time and how he remembers it now. Afterall memories and impressions are subjective.

About the piano playing and comment: Dan only played the opening notes of the La La Land theme - it wasn't impressive by any stretch of the imagination and he knows it which is why his reaction to undue praise is so strong I think.

Also does anyone else think that maybe Dan was a sensitive child in the sense that he felt things strongly? That might be why things made a bigger impression on him. I don't mean being over sensitive in a negative sense but in the sense that experiences affect him more intensely than others.

And lastly- regarding hiding things from parents, all kids do that right haha. I would tell my mom if I ate sweets off the ground but not if someone bullied me at school. I think it's normal!
xila
first-time poster

I'm new here. Hi. (IDK if I'm doing this right, sorry I'm a mess) This whole thing is gonna be out of order tbh, and I'll probably be repeating a lot of things you guys said a lot better.

I second all mentions of the amazingness that is legs. Also love that the Hobbit hair is showing up so often!!! It's so dang cute.

I also agree with papierklemmen about Dan coming off as thirsty and single (which, if that's the case, same) when he was talking about Marcus. Though it could be part of the relatable shtick. I'm on the fence about phan (phanostic is the term, right?), so it could be either imo.

Phil's nervousness about filming Dan dressed as an old lady outside is adorable to me, such a smol precious bean. I've often wondered if either of them have anxiety, as I have social anxiety myself and they remind me of myself, sometimes. That's probably been addressed already.

Totally agree with Dan on DW she was awfffuuulllll. His being an Arthur fan as a kid makes me happy too-I'm 99.9% sure he mentioned singing the theme in French class in 'psycho french teacher'. Fitting the Arthur mentions come in videos about teachers.

I also LOVED the sass when someone in the chat accused him of being mean to Phil that was v funny.

Steven Universe is such a thing to like. I love when they talk about watching tv shows with each other and stuff. Also highkey into Dan talking about politics. He's clearly so passionate, and it doesn't feel like he's pandering to his audience. With some things, like the shipping talk and stuff, it comes off as pandering to Tumblr culture at times, but when he talks about politics you can tell he's really into it.

I'm hyped for Dan that he's got Hamilton tickets. It's such an awesome show and I'm sure him and Phil will love it. I remember him saying in another ls he liked Book of Mormon, so he'll probably like Hamilton. Which leads to me getting off topic-

[offtopic][/offtopic]

Do y'all think Dan watches South Park? It'd surprise me tbh, despite his being a Book of Mormon fan. For some reason BoM seems like a Dan thing to like while South Park really doesn't, despite the fact the humor is obviously really similar. IDEK it's been on my mind since he mentioned BoM in that ls.
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

On the subject of clickbait (kind of), I was watching a 2013 liveshow and there was this fascinating part where Dan is in the background trying to choose a video thumbnail, and Phil offers his advice. I just love these little glimpses of behind-the-scenes stuff and insight into Deppy's dynamic when it comes to things like this. So I transcribed the interaction! You can also just watch the moment:

Timecode - 13:22
link to direct timecode
Context: Phil is doing a liveshow, Dan is offscreen in the room.
  • Chat: Where is Dan right now?
    Phil: He is opposite me, playing Guild Wars. [turns the computer to show Dan]
    Dan: No I’m not! I’m making a— what’s it called, a thumbnail.
    Phil: [turns the camera back] He’s making a thumbnail. I just assume he’s playing Guild Wars.
    Dan: Do you want to help me choose my thumbnail?
    Phil: On YouNow?
    Dan: Yeah.
    Phil: ‘Kay. [to the chat] Let’s help Dan choose his thumbnail! [goes over to Dan]

Dan: Okay, I’ve photoshopped a couple.
    Phil: Okay.

Dan: Okay, so, one: It’s me as my, you know, working-out-guy mode.
    Phil: I like that one.

Dan: Or...me holding the Pikachu like that.
    Phil: Yeah.

Dan: Or me...dribbing the maltesers on my face. Although that’s a bit less, like—
    Phil: That’s a bit dark.
    Dan: It’s a bit weird.

Dan: Then there’s that one. Amateur Life Coach Dan.
    Phil: [decisively] There’s too much text on that one.
    Dan: [fake gasps] But it could look like it’s— it’s like an infomercial.
    Phil: No. I prefer the one where you’re weight-lifting the Pikachu.

Dan: Okay, okay, let’s decide, guys. Which one do we prefer out of the two working out versions? Looking at camera—
    Phil: That one!
    Dan: —or lifting Pikachu?
    Phil: Looking at camera.

Dan: [asks the chat to type their choice, “camera” or “pikachu,” and the result is overwhelmingly “camera”]
    Phil: Camera! Camera. Everyone says camera.
    Dan: Literally everyone says camera. Okay, right, so we’ve decided that. And then, for the sake of it...Life Coach Dan looking like he’s talking in an advert, or camera workout? So it’s either “life coach” or “pikachu.”
    Phil: Pikachu!

[They wait for the chat to type their choice, and the result is mixed]
    Dan: Oh, this one is split!
    Phil: [to Dan] Yeah, but think about it as a thumbnail. You’re gonna want to click on the Pikachu.
    Dan: Are you?
    Phil: Yeah.
    Dan: Are you?
    Phil: Yep.
    Dan: [to the chat] Are people more likely to click on a pikachu? I dunno, what’s a better thumbnail? [looks at response] ...It’s so 50/50!
    Phil: It is about 50/50… You’re gonna have to decide for yourself, Dan.
    Dan: Such a tough decision.
    Phil: [returns to sofa] The behind-the-scenes YouTuber edition of YouNow! That’s what we have to go through - “What’s the thumbnail gonna be? What’s the video gonna be about? What am I doing??” Yeah, it’s sometimes hard to think, like… what should it be? I’ve usually got a lot of ideas though.
    Dan: [in the background] What were people saying? They’re still typing “life coach” or “pikachu”...
    Phil: It was completely 50/50.
    Dan: I can’t decide.
    Phil: Just do the pikachu one. ‘Cause I pick that, and I’m… important.
So... The final thumbnail?

[insert clip of Phil saying "Whatever Phil wants, whatever Phil gets" ]

Also, "Just do the pikachu one. ‘Cause I pick that, and I’m… important" is like...one of my favorite things I've ever heard Phil say lmao. :lol:
busy being happy~
Phantasy
woodland creature

@20:07 in the livestream he starts talking about the upcoming Zelda game: "I'm slightly like overwhelmed by it—is it going to be too big? *beat* As if that's something to complain about..."

Total euphemism right?
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

That was a pretty enjoyable liveshow, not my favourite he's ever done but still fairly pleasant.

re: the Marcus Butler comment - realistically, regardless of whether Dan's single or not, i'm sure he knows that Marcus has a girlfriend and would likely not be seriously sexting Dan out of the blue. If his first thought wasn't "oh this is obviously for a youtube video" then I would imagine it was probably "wtf this definitely wasn't meant for me". I thought it was pretty clear he was joking/being funny/relatable when he talked about deleting his first message of "there's a time and a place". I don't doubt that there was some truth to it, as in he finds Marcus attractive, but I don't think that interaction was enough to conclude Dan's single.

re: Phil's birthday talk - I admit I was initially a little put off by how distantly he talked about that trip. From the way Phil talked about his birthday, I got the impression they celebrated with friends in London and it was just his family and Dan on the IoM as surely he would have mentioned his friends being there? But then again, Dan may just feel awkward about talking about Phil's family as ultimately they aren't his own thus it isn't really his place to talk about them idk. Regardless, it's pretty clear Dan was a major part of the celebrations and will continue to be as they'll still be celebrating tomorrow apparently.

Also, I'm so intrigued about the mysterious present Dan bought Phil, I hope Phil tells us or the curiosity's gonna kill me. As well as that, the fact that Dan mentioned he bought the coasters in part because he really likes them suggests to me they're not moving apart any time soon (plus inadvertently referring to Phil as family )

re: the anti-Trump petition - found it interesting that he seemed more hung up about the incorrect spelling of his username than the actual cause of the petition. I'm sure most people reading the article weren't bothered by it, they were probably more interested in the fact that these celebrities/public figures are using their influence for good. He seemed almost insecure about the whole thing, which gives me the vibe that he really does fear judgment/backlash for engaging with politics. I hope he gets more comfortable about it, I think it's such a great thing for him to be involved with.

Other interesting parts:
- that whole "we've been so productive, must have been replaced" thing, his and Phil's content are so god damn intertwined now wow
- another mention of how when Phil is away he watches sad/political movies, presumably because Phil isn't interested in watching them. I mean Dan, you don't HAVE to watch everything together
- the bit about searching for the "treasure chest of companionship"
- I'm so glad they loved 'Hunt For The Wilderpeople', New Zealand's made some pretty great films, I hope they've watched What We Do In The Shadows because that is brilliant
karma_yeah
philussy

For some reason, during Dan's ls, when he was talking about playing the piano it occurred to me how differently people who only watch his videos might see his "My Evil Piano Teacher" compared to people (ok, me) who have watched all of his live shows. I feel like it brings a lot more context to the video.

I found myself trying to look at the video "objectively" from the point of view of a casual, video-only, fan, but I wasn't very successful.

Not sure what any of that means . . .

Re: Marcus's sexting, it never occurred to me, in any way, that it was an "I'm single and ready to mingle" type response. To me, it sounded more like one of his humorously self-deprecating male-attraction comments.
What goes around, comes around Image
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I didn't cover everything and rehashed a lot but I did enjoy the ls- watched it a few hours after it streamed and read internet comments beforehand- was prepared for something antiphan or at least distant- but I didn't feel that way after watching it myself.
captainspacecoat wrote: re: the Marcus Butler comment - realistically, regardless of whether Dan's single or not, i'm sure he knows that Marcus has a girlfriend and would likely not be seriously sexting Dan out of the blue. If his first thought wasn't "oh this is obviously for a youtube video" then I would imagine it was probably "wtf this definitely wasn't meant for me". I thought it was pretty clear he was joking/being funny/relatable when he talked about deleting his first message of "there's a time and a place". I don't doubt that there was some truth to it, as in he finds Marcus attractive, but I don't think that interaction was enough to conclude Dan's single.
I completely agree with your take on this. When Dan was talking about the text he didn't seem worked up or overly excited- he just seemed to be rolling with it in good humor. Dan is pretty obsessed with how people perceive him - he mentioned caring about people's opinions on pictures he posted, videos he posts to dinof, not wanting to stream on Twitch because of having to build a fanbase - I doubt that this Dan would be so casual about an actual real interest in his colleague/rl acquaintance.
captainspacecoat wrote: re: Phil's birthday talk - I admit I was initially a little put off by how distantly he talked about that trip. From the way Phil talked about his birthday, I got the impression they celebrated with friends in London and it was just his family and Dan on the IoM as surely he would have mentioned his friends being there? But then again, Dan may just feel awkward about talking about Phil's family as ultimately they aren't his own thus it isn't really his place to talk about them idk. Regardless, it's pretty clear Dan was a major part of the celebrations and will continue to be as they'll still be celebrating tomorrow apparently.
Dan's tone changed ever so slightly and he did seem a bit distant but it could be that he was trying to maintain some privacy. When he was talking about Phil's never-ending birthday and called Phil a smol bean he suddenly got very interested in something off camera (same with when he talked about 2017 and life changes) and I feel like he gets "distant" and looks away because he wants to be more open but he doesn't want to be vulnerable.

Other thoughts (and people have already talked about these but here is my 2 cents)
I'm still firmly because it is true that they have a good friendship and it is goals but it doesn't negate their absolute "togetherness". When I watch their liveshows I don't feel like I'm watching a dinof or amazingphil liveshow. I feel like I'm watching a Dan and Phil liveshow. They tell the same stories but don't go too into detail in case the other wants to share it instead. They recommend the same movies and tv shows, listen to the same music when jogging, have the same schedule for the year - it's impossible to separate them because they won't let us.

Other mentions:
-In this story and the story of the terrarium, Dan shared with us how they laughed together for the longest time and then brought up the photo booth challenge video (Phil recently mentioned this was a fave of his as well because there were "a lot of fun memories")
-Mentions of anxiety, mental health, etc- I felt it was Dan nicely defending both of them and also letting us know to back off a little.
-Hamilton tickets (plural)
-watches sad movies when Phil is away
-He is going to tomorrows birthday dinner (if they are bff only then why does he have to go to all of Phil's bday celebrations - shouldn't a friend celebration, a family holiday, and 5 presents be enough?
-Also- I noticed that they are both jogging right before their liveshows and it's probably to get that notorious runners high that makes you feel giddy and excellent- i'm all for that continuing if we continue to get pink cheeked happy Dan and Phil.
Last edited by Amiaw on Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
queerofcups
spork
Pronouns: they | them

using my first post (hi guys) to say i can't believe that liveshow thumbnail didn't blow up more. i feel like he was going for goofy and landed on 'surprise, i'm quite attractive'
apathy
sad dimple

oqua wrote:On the subject of clickbait (kind of), I was watching a 2013 liveshow and there was this fascinating part where Dan is in the background trying to choose a video thumbnail, and Phil offers his advice. I just love these little glimpses of behind-the-scenes stuff and insight into Deppy's dynamic when it comes to things like this.
I love old liveshows and got distracted by watching more of this one, and found that it holds another of my favorite dynamic moments: Around 27:12 Phil starts putting glow-in-the-dark stickers on his face (commenting about it being 2017 fashion which is funnier now). Dan's first comment (29:07) is a "WTF are you doing? / Of course you are" that later changes to "lol jk, I'm justjealous. I wanna do this" (31:10) and he does.

That initial sarcastic/skeptic role of "you're so weird" Dan goes to gets played up so much, even more lately, and maybe it is his natural reaction with his personality. But it's kind of interesting to see a live example of the wall breaking to switch to how he actually loves it and can't help following along. And Phil isn't at all surprised by either reaction.
That's my socializing quota for the month up.
fancybum
senpai

Phil and Misc Watch 2017
SWEATY AND SENSUAL DANNY (Week 5)

Prompted Phil Mention
10:00 (chat) How was the jog, Dan? Did you have a selfie with anyone?
“No, I didn’t. Phil. Phil went for a jog the other day. He obviously kicked it off; I’m only jogging myself to be competitive with him, obviously. And as he was looking like a sweaty rat, jogging up the road, someone was like, “Omg, AmazingPhil, can we have a selfie?” And Phil, being a polite bean was like, “Of course.” I bet internally he was like, ‘Why. Why, why now, why not when I’m dressed in a snazzy dinner jacket ready to mingle with my friends on a formal occasion’ but no, full-on rat. And he was like, ‘But it’s okay [nobody will notice] and then all of you guys were like, ‘Wow, it’s Phil jogging’ and it got to the point where all of those teen magazine things were like, 'Listicle! Phil Lester went for a jog! Trending news.’ Yup, there we go. That’s cool."

12:25 (chat) Does Phil usually help you film vids?
[Rambling about it being more convenient/manageable than doing everything yourself]
“It’s just easier to be like, (whiny voice) ‘Phil, Phil, can you hold the camera for me?’"
"So yeah, whenever we film videos, we’re usually just like, ‘Please help’ and the other person’s like, ‘Whyyyy' which is the sign of a good friendship: helping them, but never helpfully helping them. You really have to moan and make it seem like you’re doing something incredibly painful and unnecessary, you can’t just like be a good friend. You really have to make it seem like they’re the worst person in the entire world for even offering."

13:50 "Phil gets like reasonable amounts of anxiety about neighbours, or just generally interacting with people or going outside, but specifically neighbours and not wanting to be weird or anything like that."
“'I’m going to stand outside dressed as an old lady and repeatedly knock on the door in a weird voice' and Phil was like, ‘Okay… okay... I guess we’re doing this’"
“I just had to knock on this door and go, ‘Hello’, and we just kept laughing. It took like 10 minutes.”

16:30 (chat) Video idea: you and Phil paint your nails
“Yes, that’s the kind of quality content that— honestly, other YTers [can post any dumb shit they want, but not me because I want to make what I think is interesting content on dinof and I’m slightly crazy and overly obsessed with the negative feedback I get from casuals or fans (at least, specifically the ones who aren’t asking for nail painting even though they’re all watching the same channel dude) I imagine are holding my channel up to some specific intangible standard okay then].
“Like I said in my diss track video, I am terrified, and then I'm constantly reminded by the comments that perhaps I should be, according to some people.” [And so those are the ones I’ll allow to dictate the worth of my content to me, that’s obviously the only right choice]

(Jury is out on the eligibility of this in the Prompted section but whatever let’s go with it)
23:00 (“reads” from “chat”) Dan! Shut up! Talk about Phil’s birthday
“Okay Troye” sure jan
“Didja know? It was Phil’s birthday last week? I knew, because it’s never-ending. It’s been like the ‘Week of Phil’s Birthday’. Good for him, like whatever, smol bean deserves all the trea— whatever.”
“Seriously we went out for a meal where he posted that instagram of the really delicious dessert and then we went up north with Phil’s brother and Cornelia and saw some friends, went for some walks, had some meals, he got loads of presents, and you think it’s over. But we’re going out for another meal with some other people tomorrow. Phil’s birthday is just this never-ending event— I’m like— should I kill Phil? I’m getting a bit tired of it by now. I think Phil’s getting a bit tired of it by now, there’s just so much cardboard in our house from all the unboxing.”
-I don’t see how people can be confused when groups of sentences like the above exist as words that have come out of Dan’s mouth in that order and in that context, but hey

34:40 (chat) What did you get Phil for his birthday?
“I got Phil a lava lamp”
“Do you ever buy your family things for xmas that are secretly for you, but then you kind of give them to the other person so they think you’re getting them a gift but actually it’s something you’ll both enjoy” got him crystal coasters
"I sold it as a gift for Phil, but it’s not though, is it? Look at me, I’m more excited about it."
“I also got Phil some gummi sushi, which he ate in one day."
“And one other thing which is incredible and hilarious which I just stumbled across on the internet, and it’s maybe slightly inappropriate; I don’t know if Phil ever wanted it or even likes it, but it was so incredible and hilarious as a joke that I just had to give it to him, so I won’t tell you what that is, I’ll see if he wants to share that with you."
-If Dan bothered to bring it up, then I’m sure Phil will show it on Thurs. They’re being the opening acts for each other’s liveshows now, leaving us on cliffhangers to entice us to tune into the other’s next stream. Smart. Curious to see what counts as ‘inappropriate’ though.

1:01:20 (chat) Phil’s YT channel is 11 years old today
“Crazy. It’s just— that’s good, good for him."
Unprompted Phil Mention
02:15 “I did the jogging last year… that wasn’t even— remember when me and Phil posted that jogging selfie”
“Was that one year ago, or two years ago” (checks his instagram) “Oh my god no, no don’t tell me. It was, wasn’t it? That’s so worrying.”
“Yup, Dan and Phil jogging. That was indeed in 2015."

33:00 “I am loving Steven Universe, me and Phil are nearly at the end of S1” and it’s fucking great

49:32 “Twitch is cool because you get the custom emotes and stuff, which we could get with younow subscriptions, the Dan and Phil sticker, hm."

56:30 “Whenever Phil is away I tend to watch things that would really depress him, like political or documentaries or things like that"
-BECAUSE PHIL DOESN’T WANT TO WATCH DEPRESSING SHIT NOT BECAUSE DAN IS SAD AND HOPELESSLY DEPRESSED WITHOUT PHIL WHEN HE LEAVES FOR LIKE A DAY FFS ahem was I yelling, not sure why this fan narrative in particular annoys me so much but damn

1:03:00 "Phil will upload one on Thursday, doing this” meaning livestream
Neutral Phil Mention
05:00 "Phil walked into our office and saw me just lying on the floor"

25:25 “Went on a walk up north during Phil’s birthday time”
(Long and hilarious story of his muddy fall and I’m suddenly enraged that a DITL in IoM is something we’ve been cruelly deprived of. Imagine Phil getting any of that on camera (even just the aftermath) for us plebs. *wistful sigh*)

28:45 “Everyone was like, "Dan are you okay"
“I sprained my wrist and my knee and then the next day we were going out for a walk and I slipped over again and I sprained my other wrist and the ankle on my other foot. So by the time we got back home after celebrating Phil’s birthday, Phil was like, 'I’ve had so much cake, this was a great birthday’ and I was just like... in a hospital bed in a full body cast, just laying there like ‘I can’t move in any way right now’ so that was fun. Moral of the story is either get sensible walking shoes for when you’re going on a wet country muddy walk or just don’t go outside."

39:00 “We’ve been quite active on the gaming channel. If you need some Dan and Phil bants in your life, then go watch the videos because we’ve been uploading quite a few"
"Did you watch the Dan vs Phil: Quick Draw"
"Phil was the worst person, anyone that has ever played this game— he’s okay, because you see that he was trying to draw something, he’s just a special person that thinks outside the box and doesn’t quite approach things the way you’d expect. I saw someone [say Phil was slightly autistic], oh my God, people diagnosing people with illnesses on the internet, I can’t."
"I kind of live for it and it makes me want to die. I remember once on 4chan someone was trying to diagnose me with some weird disease of the blood and I’m like, "Bruh, what is— no. If you’re not a doctor, you shouldn’t just diagnose people with stuff.”
-yup

40:37 (chat) You were kind of rude to Phil in that video
(sarcastically) "Was I? Uh oh. Somebody can’t handle the b-a-n-t-s."
-jimmies rustled, but that criticism is like a 2 for 1: Phil gets painted as a spineless baby and Dan gets painted as a bully: everybody… wins..? So I understand the snark.

41:20 "[next Sims video will be] in a few days. What videos are we uploading next, let me look at my cheeky plan.”
“We’re putting a lot on YT at the moment, aren’t we? Across dinof, AP, and DAPG, and our side channels. And we’re jogging. We’ve been replaced with robots. There’s absolutely no explanation for all this, I’m sorry if you’ve been with us for 5 years, we died in a tragic accident and Google used their AI technology to just replace us with somebody so you didn’t realize."

-This is hilarious on its own, but also hilarious because that’s a running gag with Chris: that Dan and Phil (because everybody on the internet talking to him have D&P avatars & related usernames) have taken over the internet/are robots etc. Pops up in a lot of his shows, but this is just from yesterday and it’s fitting:

1:12:40-1:13:20
In movie announcer voice: “In the year 2020, Dan and Phil became so popular that the Westworld company created many, many more… DanandPhil12 was the one that destroyed the world.”

Unrelated to robots, but 28:00-29:25 has him jokingly lusting over Dan. lowkey think he actually does irl but nevermind that for now

Really begins at 19:40 for full context because just that alone looks insane lmao, but he's choosing people he ‘fancies’ to see what heart candies say about them. He chose Troye Sivan, PJ, Dodie, Dean Dobbs, Cameron Dallas, Bertie&Sav as a set, and Dan.
Him and Dan have their lust over Troye in common at least, he brings up Troye lust like everyday (with no room for 'he's just being #relatable to people who are really into covering their eyes and ears ahem what were we talking about again) and it's just great. Anyway back to regularly scheduled programming sorry.
Miscellaneous
01:35 “I just went for a jog" "Your boy Danny just went for a cheeky bit of exercise"

07:15 “By the way, I’m obviously not doing this YT thing right, I mean if everybody’s trying to desperately squeeze out their content so that it’s 10 minutes and 1 second, then I am getting it wrong uploading all these 9 minute videos, aren’t I?"
-I find it very plausible that he's intentionally keeping them under 10 minutes so nobody can accuse him of playing to the YT algorithm, even if he could have had another worthwhile minute in there

07:35 (about Piano video) “Unlike all the over-exaggerating YTers, there was not even one aspect of that video that I uploaded last night that was even remotely exaggerated, not even a single joke was even slightly exaggerated. If anything, I made it sound a bit funny when really it’s just a quite depressing story of somebody being really mean to a child that’s trying to express an interest in something. Is that a good thing… I’m not sure."

11:30 (chat) Stranger Things S2! [was advertised during the Super Bowl]
“Yeah, that’s a thing. Did you see the trailer? I love that in previous years I was like, ‘Maybe I’ll actually watch the Super Bowl game a bit to see what people are talking about’ and then in other years [maybe just the adverts]. This year: ‘No, I’m just Lady Gaga then I’m out.’ I just can’t be bothered."

11:55 “I am a better drummer than I am a pianist. Um. ‘Insert penis’, thank you George for saying ‘insert penis’ into the chat there, that was quick."

15:15 (chat) Louise’s video
“Yeah, that was a thing. Louise made a video with Marcus Butler where they ‘sext’ people and this involved me getting a random text from Marcus Butler quite late at night saying ‘omg I want to lick you til you explode’ with a bunch of sexually suggestive emojis. Now, for about 30 seconds, I got my hopes up. [But then I realized it was for a YT video]. Obviously I deleted my first reply which was like, ‘Time and place. You’ve got abs. Can I keep my Tshirt on, but let’s do this’ and then wrote a funny one about having too many calories to lick or whatever. So that was funny, you can check out that."
:/

19:00 “Oddworld, mate. Abe’s Oddysee, one of my favourite video games of all time, one of the first— I was like 6 and my dad bought a PS1 and he bought FFXII, Tomb Raider, Abe’s Oddysee, and Klonoa: Door to Phantomile. Tomb Raider was scary as shit and I watched my dad play it, and it’s actually hard and a complete trainwreck of a game”…
-Phantomile. Heh.

24:30 (about somebody going to meet an internet friend) “That’s good, we can all meet friends on the internet. And hopefully you Skyped them at some point so it’s not a creepy old man.”
“Don’t get groomed by any molesters and use a VPN so the NSA can’t track your weird kinks. There we go."

31:00 He’s officially got Hamilton tickets, will see at the end of the year

32:40 (chat) Would you paint your nails again?
“I would. But, like with my [earrings], it’s something I forget about that I probably [wouldn’t be able to do?]”
-what. Listen, I love his earrings, but if he literally just doesn’t want to wear them, I wish he would just say he’s not into them anymore. ‘I keep forgetting about them’ is like, why. what. stop these mind games (the earrings are serious business to me m'k)

34:30 (chat) You have a mole under your wrist
“Do I? Where? You’re spotting things that I can’t see. (looks at arm and finds one) That. Yup, Dan has a dot.
-I’m taking that comment as the chat person trolling him as there’s been a thing going around Twitter that says all gay people have moles on their wrists. Yawn.

37:10 (chat) Any paranormal happenings, Dan?
"I don’t know, but we’re tempting fate with this whole exercise thing, aren’t we?”

44:20 He’s ramping up to changing danisnotonfire to Dan Howell at some point soon

44:40 Owen Jones DM’d him about Trump petition
Signed it “because of peer pressure and also because that’s a good idea, I was like, ‘Ok, sure, whatever, why not’"
Being credited as DanIsNotOnFire is embarrassing (probably even with all lower caps is the sense I’m getting; he wants to be ~serious~ now and move on from 13yr-old Dan)

47:20 (chat) What did your mum say about the piano teacher?
"I never told her she was mean"
"One of the big problems I had as a child was I never talked to anybody about my problems. Whether it was bullying, a french teacher that was startlingly incompetent, or a piano teacher that was being really mean, I just didn’t tell anybody."
"Little Dan was just like [stone-faced] the whole time, and (‘laughing') now I have so many issues, obviously, they’ll just be with me forever."

48:55 (chat) That’s horrible advice, never did me any good
“Horrible advice is 'to talk to people’? That’s objectively wrong. You just haven’t found the right person, and life is all about finding the right people. So it’s a quest that might slap you in the face a lot of times, but eventually you’ll get the treasure chest of companionship."

51:40 recommends Hunt for the Wilderpeople (as Phil did last week because they watched it while up north)
“it’ll give you warm fuzzy feelings”

54:05 (chat) What is the worst thing you did this week?
“I don’t know, would it be for you or— I went to see the hygienist”
“And as you all know, I have a self-inflicted pain kink, so going to the dentist, Jesus Christ, just sign me up father.”
“They had this girl stabbing me in the gums and god it hurt so much I was bleeding so much, Jesus Christ”
“I was like ‘Do it, hold my hand, spit on me’”
“Have I made a video about dentists yet?”
“'Dentist/pain kink', that’s obviously going to be the name of the final YT video"
“Look forward to that being a video at some point in the next 5 years”
-Let's also look forward to a sexual harassment lawsuit from his poor dentist lol

57:50 “Dan’s long list of 2017 changes. Right up there with ‘danisnotonfire', that uggo [tumblr] theme"

58:30 Questioning the titles of his liveshows on YT:
“I’ll just change them all to normal video names and put the date in the description"
(blaming the change on Americans being confused by the order of the dates lmao, just say you wanted to partake in the clickbaitier action that Phil’s been enjoying, it’s fine, own it)
Phinal Tally: said ‘Phil’ 41 times
captainspacecoat wrote: re: Phil's birthday talk - I admit I was initially a little put off by how distantly he talked about that trip. From the way Phil talked about his birthday, I got the impression they celebrated with friends in London and it was just his family and Dan on the IoM as surely he would have mentioned his friends being there? But then again, Dan may just feel awkward about talking about Phil's family as ultimately they aren't his own thus it isn't really his place to talk about them idk. Regardless, it's pretty clear Dan was a major part of the celebrations and will continue to be as they'll still be celebrating tomorrow apparently.
Hm yeah isn't Dan the only one who said they were seeing friends specifically in the north? Phil said they saw friends and then went to the north for family time. I don't recall him mentioning any friends related to IoM, that was just Dan. So I'm pretty sure by 'friends' Dan's just referring to like Martyn/Cornelia (or I suppose even Phil's parents when/if convenient) from his perspective because simply saying 'I stayed with Phil's family for his birthday' maybe comes off as too intimate. For all the recent talk of their relationship being borderline out or whatever, boundaries are decidedly still present. Their use of language is endlessly interesting to me though, because Dan can say 'see friends' and not be lying (because Martyn/Cornelia), but Phil avoided even that because all he'd have there is Cornelia (and he probably considers her like a sister in law or general family anyway). They don't do any lying, they just filter their language around the reality they're comfortable projecting. It's pretty cool.
queerofcups wrote:using my first post (hi guys) to say i can't believe that liveshow thumbnail didn't blow up more. i feel like he was going for goofy and landed on 'surprise, i'm quite attractive'
Well I don't think anybody's really all that surprised and that's why :lol: It's a good pic though.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me