Dan & Phil Part 38: Everlasting as the Sun

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
nephilimcat
woodland creature
Pronouns: she/her

Birdie wrote:For me it’s not about the money. I don’t care how much money they have and I totally get why they grab every opportunity to make more. So would most of us if we were in their position, let’s be real. What’s dodgy in my opinion at least is that they won’t go to Vidcon in America or Europe but they’ll attend some obscure teen “festival”. It’s just weird to me because it’s not something I thought they would do. But maybe this really has to do with management? They still haven’t tweeted about this (I think) which kind of suggests they might not be that enthusiastic about it themselves? I don’t even know. It seems weird to me because this is exactly the kind of event I thought they wouldn’t attend out of all the events they could participate in. I’m not judging them, I just think it’s super weird.
I agree. And Phil didn't mention it in his ls. It's very weird
pulvis et umbra sumus
SquishPhan
capita£ester

A lovely live show, though like always too short imo.
- Dan’s gift to Phil is just amazing. Not what I expected, but love it nonetheless.
- They had another cute cinema date. Though of course something weird had to happen to them.
- Wow so they had even more gas leaks. They need to move.
- Phil talking about pets is always cute.
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

Ahh Phil :D
That inappropriate gift part :lol:
I love how Phil said that it wasn't the gift he was expecting but he loved it the same... of course
:D
000dia000
emo goose

I love the clickbait thumbnail on Phil's liveshow also the gift he got off Dan is perfect they should put it in their bathroom on the wall of the bath so they can have bathtime with it

I now kind of want a sugar glider like Phil suggested, they look so cute
btw why does Phil know have so much knowledge of animal sex? And why does he mention it so much? I know the man likes animals, but the sort of squick he felt about duck sex was kind of his own fault, mate it's your own fault what shit you google at night

My favourite moment during the liveshow was when he was describing his experience yesterday in London Zoo and the careful instructions about handling meerkats, and how they were not meant to let their hands dangle in case the meerkat mistook it for food. Then sirens outside and Phil said, "Someone got bitten by a meerkat!"

And Phil's not Dan related at all coat is gorgeous and I want eight
source of gif: http://uslovesphan.tumblr.com/
:cactus:
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

Another thing I love is at 23:55 he talks about being self conscious about all the people watching... aw Phil

(Also at 29:05 feels like he's dropping hints to someone)
Last edited by SexyTrashCan on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sia
living flop

000dia000 wrote:btw why does Phil know have so much knowledge of animal sex? And why does he mention it so much? I know the man likes animals, but the sort of squick he felt about duck sex was kind of his own fault, mate it's your own fault what shit you google at night
I assume this is rhetorical question, but for ducks especially, there is this piece of old school youtube he is probably very familiar with it, khm it is pretty explicit
lost686girl
living flop

fancybum wrote:
sia wrote: Well what is enough money of course is a very subjective matter, but in case of people that earn as much as , when they probably already have enough money to buy an enormous house in the countryside, and live there comfortably until the end of their lives including all utilities bills and occasional holidays in exotic locations, I do wonder what more do they want, I definitely heard about people who simply retired in that kind of situation very young and now spend time travelling. Of course this is ultimately their decision to make and they know best how much money they will need in the future, but well if they plan to have that expansive lifestyle it just doesn't speak the very best about their character, being wasteful is just not a very positive characteristic no matter how you look at it (at least that is how I look at it). I don't actually have any kind of impression they are more desperate for earnings this month, the ads thing is something that is on their videos for quite some time now.

Yes they are just making money from their job like everyone, but they are making really very big amounts of money and that is also probably the reason why they are so nontransparent about how big their earning actually are.
I just. Genuine question: do you pay all of your own bills? I can't even process what's going on in my brain right now reading all of that. But really. Do you?
i really rREALLY dislike when fans get mad at their favs for being successful and making money. as much as you'd like to keep them to yourselves, as creative people they are gonna want to reach out to new fans who can enjoy their content. and that comes with making more money. there is nothing wrong with making money. they are not CEOs of giant companies making hundreds of millions every year. they have wealth but not that much in the grand scheme.
melon lord
morning quiff

RE: Money, there will never be a right answer because it all depends from which POV you're viewing this from

Note that I am approaching this as if they are like rich loaded fuckers, cause I don't know their financial situation so I'm creating a hypothetical scenario

Normalisation of a situation is strong. When they got their first million pounds I'm sure they probably felt like "wow I am so loaded this is AWESOME". It was new and exciting and they probably did get the "wow I could live with this money for the rest of time". But, as time has a bad habit of doing, the first million suddenly doesn't impress much anymore. They make another million, and another. Suddenly getting 100 quid for a promo post in a video is pocket change compared to 10,000 pounds for a promo. And that doesn't happen overnight. They weren't approached one day with 100 pound, got overjoyed, then next week got 10,000 pounds in their bank account. No, the 100 sounds amazing, then 200 sounds more normal, then yeah ok 500 is reasonable, and gradually the numbers lose all meaning and money loses its value.

Not the inherent value of money, but the value of the amount. I hold 100 euros to a very high standard and holding it in my hands feels special and powerful. But that is coming from a situation where I don't often get 100 euros. 100 pounds to them is a grain of salt in a giant salt shaker so it's not that impressive.

It's normal and it's observed time and time again in countless situations. They don't work because they are greedy money pigs, they get money because that's the natural way of... well... working. People who win the lottery or become obscenely rich in a short span of time have never thought "wow I'll put this in my savings account", no they blow it all on random shit because suddenly the influx of high value seems like "well a splurge there won't hurt, a treat here isn't bad" until they end up broke.

As media personalities, these sort of shows/events are paid work and they are danisnotonfire and AmazingPhil at those venues and nobody is wanting "Dan and Phil", the event holders pay money to have these names in their posters and flyers and such.

I judge them financially on moments where they aren't danisnotonfire and AmazingPhil. When they fullfill a girls' Make A Wish. When Dan donates a ton of clothes to charity and only mentions it after it's done and not before like a personality promo. When they hand down the batman lego to the local charity shop instead of selling it or making a fuss about it.

missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

sentinel wrote: Weren't they on tour during SITC last year?
Yes they were but they didn't even address that they weren't going to be there, even with many people tweeting and asking in liveshows. we will see about sitc but I will definitely side eye them a little if they don't go, and don't talk about why they arent doing it. if they can travel all the way to Australia and America for conventions then doing one in their hometown can't be that difficult (maybe they don't get offered enough money for it so cba).
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
sia
living flop

lost686girl wrote:
fancybum wrote:
sia wrote: Well what is enough money of course is a very subjective matter, but in case of people that earn as much as , when they probably already have enough money to buy an enormous house in the countryside, and live there comfortably until the end of their lives including all utilities bills and occasional holidays in exotic locations, I do wonder what more do they want, I definitely heard about people who simply retired in that kind of situation very young and now spend time travelling. Of course this is ultimately their decision to make and they know best how much money they will need in the future, but well if they plan to have that expansive lifestyle it just doesn't speak the very best about their character, being wasteful is just not a very positive characteristic no matter how you look at it (at least that is how I look at it). I don't actually have any kind of impression they are more desperate for earnings this month, the ads thing is something that is on their videos for quite some time now.

Yes they are just making money from their job like everyone, but they are making really very big amounts of money and that is also probably the reason why they are so nontransparent about how big their earning actually are.
I just. Genuine question: do you pay all of your own bills? I can't even process what's going on in my brain right now reading all of that. But really. Do you?
i really rREALLY dislike when fans get mad at their favs for being successful and making money. as much as you'd like to keep them to yourselves, as creative people they are gonna want to reach out to new fans who can enjoy their content. and that comes with making more money. there is nothing wrong with making money. they are not CEOs of giant companies making hundreds of millions every year. they have wealth but not that much in the grand scheme.
I am not even mad, why are you quoting me, quote people who said that amplify is moneyhungry organization exploiting teens, I just said that I dislike ads in the middle of a video and I was trying to explain my opinion (badly apparently) on the argument that was pointed out that is apparently expressed a lot in the phandom (that they earned enough money by now and that they should stop making profit) I don't even share that opinion I was just speaking from the experience of people that I vaguely know of that made a lot of money when young and now don't have to go to work, and they certainly don't belong in fobes lists by any means, they are just smart with their money.
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

Very off topic but was watching some of the horror games on the gaming channel and noticed that Dan actually gets scared very easily? But then whenever Phil tries to scare him it never works, because Dan trusts Phil completely and knows he would never hurt him and I just find that adorable
lost686girl
living flop

sia wrote:
I am not even mad, why are you quoting me, quote people who said that amplify is moneyhungry organization exploiting teens, I just said that I dislike ads in the middle of a video and I was trying to explain my opinion (badly apparently) on the argument that was pointed out that is apparently expressed a lot in the phandom (that they earned enough money by now and that they should stop making profit) I don't even share that opinion I was just speaking from the experience of people that I vaguely know of that made a lot of money when young and now don't have to go to work, and they certainly don't belong in fobes lists by any means, they are just smart with their money.

you stated that them seeking more money disparaged their character..calling it "waste". that's where i'm coming from.
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

They are not strap for cash for sure but I am not sure they are rolling in money, its difficult to know for sure about as they don't flaunt their wealth with the exception of Dan's cloth and Phil's taste of high end restaurants and hotels when they travel privately.

Moreover I have this feeling that Phil uses their cash to roll their business be it merchandise, tour etc instead of taking loans from the bank. He gives me this vibe of being careful with money and findings ways to reduce their tax and escape borrowings.

Hence where you find him still aggressively pushing their merchandise and hands on managing their businesses whenever possible instead of outsourcing, with the exception when they managed to get sponsors.

I won't be surprised if their wealth are currently locked in their companies and they will be open to all opportunities thrown their way to secure more income.
Last edited by sweetmm on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sia
living flop

lost686girl wrote:
sia wrote:

you stated that them seeking more money disparaged their character..calling it "waste". that's where i'm coming from.
I was just saying that being wasteful (and I was usind wasteful as a synonym to the 'have an expansive lifestyle' because my english is rusty) is not a positive personal characteristic, because it is the opposite of humble which is something positive I hope. I didn't even say they are like that, I said that they seem careful with their money and I don't mean they are moneyhungry when they make money from what they put out, but that they would be moneyhungry if they were to go out of their way to maximize their profits and do shady stuff, I was expressing myself badly,

On a topic of that, does anyone know when did Phil's brother start to work with them?
sweetmm
angel bean

sia wrote:
On a topic of that, does anyone know when did Phil's brother start to work with them?
Officially they open IRL Digital in May 2014, most probably Martyn starts managing their merchandise business around that time too. He is an equal partner and director, so I don't look at it as him working for but more working with
Moonbeamsonthepath
living flop
Pronouns: she

I wonder if Martyn is fully in charge of the online shop? As in, he and Cornelia get all the profit made from it?
Probably not true, just a thought as Dan always seems so disengaged from the whole thing.
sweetmm
angel bean

Moonbeamsonthepath wrote:I wonder if Martyn is fully in charge of the online shop? As in, he and Cornelia get all the profit made from it?
Probably not true, just a thought as Dan always seems so disengaged from the whole thing.
The profits are parked into the company and the directors ie & Martyn will decide how much to roll back in the company and how much they will take equally as directors. However as Martyn is also the designated Project Manager, he may receive monthly salary/free, Cornelia may get paid whenever she work the booth, unless she is also a salaried staff.
sentinel
lady door

missemma wrote:
Yes they were but they didn't even address that they weren't going to be there, even with many people tweeting and asking in liveshows. we will see about sitc but I will definitely side eye them a little if they don't go, and don't talk about why they arent doing it. if they can travel all the way to Australia and America for conventions then doing one in their hometown can't be that difficult (maybe they don't get offered enough money for it so cba).
Well I mean. They were in America, you can't expect them to stop the pre-planned tour for STIC.

I can forgive them for missing it due to other, equally important commitments. But if they ditch it again, this time because they didn't get paid enough? That's a no from me anymore. It would show a complete lack of respect for their audience and huge difference in values between them and me as a viewer. I don't mind them making money, a boat load of money, as long as it's not at the expense of integrity.
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

missemma wrote:
Tbh I think if they don't to CitC it'll be because the organisers can't afford the level of security that would be needed to safely host a Dan and Phil meet and greet, or don't think it would fit well into the atmosphere they want, at least as much as them not being able to afford to pay whatever the going rate is for Dan and Phil's meet and greet time. With Vidcon Europe starting, I wouldn't be surprised if CitC continues to become the "smaller youtube" more lowkey event, with less screaming and more creator/fan interaction, which is only possible if only "smaller" youtubers attend. Throwing Dan and Phil into that environment would either be unsafe or add significantly to staffing costs, and either way would completely change the atmosphere.

On money more generally: adsense revenues are low, and falling. They make tiny tiny amounts per view per ad. They're probably adding more ad breaks to keep their income stable, rather than increase it. The ad breaks annoy me too, but if they went back to just pre-rolls they'd probably make so little it would feel like nothing. Maybe if you had a creative job you loved you'd be happy to work for free to spare your audience from advertisements, but Dan and Phil aren't you. They deserve to be paid for their work and their time. I don't think it's reasonable for us as strangers with no knowledge of their financial situation or priorities to demand that they work for free because they're already rich enough. Maybe their meet and greet rates are unreasonable, but $3 per million views (figure from 2015 source) isn't much, especially when you consider the time it takes to write film and edit.

Edit: I did say "maybe their meet and greet rates are unreasonable", but I agree with Dizzy that the most likely explanation is that they had to agree to do Amplify in order to get the Australian tour. This really doesn't seem like the sort of thing Dan and Phil would voluntarily want to do. If what they want is money, there have to be spons more appealing than flying to Australia, in a year they said they didn't want to travel much, to attend an outdoor event featuring Nash Grier. Whatever the motivation, the organisers will take a cut of the money. We don't know how much Dan and Phil will be paid for this, it could be significantly less than we'd guess from the ticket prices.
sweetmm
angel bean

I am assuming they had yet to confirm SITC as they may have pending confirmations on one off projects; as duo e.g. the sponsored trip to Japan, or individual proj e.g. Dan supergamers. Pretty confident if they are free they will attend.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

sentinel wrote:you can't expect them to stop the pre-planned tour for STIC.

I can forgive them for missing it due to other, equally important commitments. But if they ditch it again, this time because they didn't get paid enough? That's a no from me anymore. It would show a complete lack of respect for their audience and huge difference in values between them and me as a viewer. I don't mind them making money, a boat load of money, as long as it's not at the expense of integrity.
Sorry, maybe I didn't make my original post clear enough. I didn't expect them to not go to australia just so they could go to SITC, that would be ridiculous. What I personally would have appreciated, is them just saying in a liveshow that they were missing it especially as so many people were asking. I'm not saying that they have to address it, just for me I would have appreciated it. Same as this year, if they aren't going then just put the people who want to go to see them out of their misery early on and say they aren't going, it's not hard and would save people spending money as they expect them to do the usual conventions.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
sia
living flop

BisexualShoeMarriage wrote: On money more generally: adsense revenues are low, and falling. They make tiny tiny amounts per view per ad. They're probably adding more ad breaks to keep their income stable, rather than increase it. The ad breaks annoy me too, but if they went back to just pre-rolls they'd probably make so little it would feel like nothing. Maybe if you had a creative job you loved you'd be happy to work for free to spare your audience from advertisements, but Dan and Phil aren't you. They deserve to be paid for their work and their time. I don't think it's reasonable for us as strangers with no knowledge of their financial situation or priorities to demand that they work for free because they're already rich enough. Maybe their meet and greet rates are unreasonable, but $3 per million views (figure from 2015 source) isn't much, especially when you consider the time it takes to write film and edit.
Can I just say that I don't understand that if the ad revenue profits are so small now, why do they even bother with them, why would they put ads in the middle of their videos if they have other means of making money from their youtube channels that are much more profitable, like merchandise and sponsored deals and even if they don't put ads in the middle of their video they still don't work for free, because they interact with their fanbase though them and we are that fanbase
lost686girl
living flop

sia wrote:
BisexualShoeMarriage wrote: On money more generally: adsense revenues are low, and falling. They make tiny tiny amounts per view per ad. They're probably adding more ad breaks to keep their income stable, rather than increase it. The ad breaks annoy me too, but if they went back to just pre-rolls they'd probably make so little it would feel like nothing. Maybe if you had a creative job you loved you'd be happy to work for free to spare your audience from advertisements, but Dan and Phil aren't you. They deserve to be paid for their work and their time. I don't think it's reasonable for us as strangers with no knowledge of their financial situation or priorities to demand that they work for free because they're already rich enough. Maybe their meet and greet rates are unreasonable, but $3 per million views (figure from 2015 source) isn't much, especially when you consider the time it takes to write film and edit.
Can I just say that I don't understand that if the ad revenue profits are so small now, why do they even bother with them, why would they put ads in the middle of their videos if they have other means of making money from their youtube channels that are much more profitable, like merchandise and sponsored deals and even if they don't put ads in the middle of their video they still don't work for free, because they interact with their fanbase though them and we are that fanbase
every $ counts
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

sia wrote:
Yes, I did think about that, and it is weird. But I think it's psychologically different, to work for days on a video and have it earn you nothing directly. Obviously the videos are an important part of their job because they attract and maintain the audience, but I think taking adds off completely after having had them for so long would still feel like working for nothing, even though it wouldn't be.
Moonbeamsonthepath
living flop
Pronouns: she

sweetmm wrote:
Moonbeamsonthepath wrote:I wonder if Martyn is fully in charge of the online shop? As in, he and Cornelia get all the profit made from it?
The profits are parked into the company and the directors ie & Martyn will decide how much to roll back in the company and how much they will take equally as directors. However as Martyn is also the designated Project Manager, he may receive monthly salary/free, Cornelia may get paid whenever she work the booth, unless she is also a salaried staff.
Thanks for explaining it :)