Dan & Phil Part 38: Everlasting as the Sun

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
gnostic
stress mushroom

Birdie wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:I (and others) believe this entire situation makes the most sense if I assume the video is real; you (and others) don't. Until further information comes along that serves as actual proof (and considering phandom's level of gaslighting the only thing that would really work is Dan and Phil themselves confirming it), that's about as far as the conversation can actually go. (Not that anyone should stop discussing it if they're enjoying the discussion, of course; this forum is made for rehashing old topics with no resolution. I'm just giving my personal opinion here.)
This. I don't ship it and I don't really care anymore whether they're together or not but this is basically what I think too. Also very well put. It can be fun to speculate but people need to stop pretending like they know something the rest of us don't.
rizzo wrote:Dan and Phil spent time and effort carefully crafting a specifically-worded video for a prank they thought they might release in February. Then pushed it back to April, because April Fools. But, no wait, then they had a contest they were involved in and also feared possible backlash (which, you know, wasn't a concern with the rape jokes they made left and right amongst other things, but okay) so they decided against it and didn't pull any prank at all.
Okay, when you phrase it like that it sounds ridiculous. But you could also just say "Dan and Phil decided to prank their viewers on Valentine's Day for an early April Fools and then left it privated because they realised it would be a cruel joke". Sounds way more serious suddenly, no? I'm not saying this is what happened but as alittledizzy said none of us know the truth and both interpretations are plausible. There's no need to ridicule people who believe in papierklemmen's theory at all. When you word it differently you can also make the argument for the vid being real sound silly.
gnostic wrote: accidentally stumbled upon a blog of complete demon anti phannie person who actually procured pictures of that hotel and it was evident the room was twin bed one.
I hope you don't mean phanantiproof. As far as I know she's the one who made that post but she's far from a "demon anti", I've always found her super respectful, calm and nice. Just sayin'.
No no no, I respect Ren (even though we eventually stopped agreeing on a lot of things) and that was way before that. i now actually remember that yes, she also went to an LA hotel with a similar inquiry. Funny how all drama is circular, isn't it?
Just here for the marketing skills
pearshaped34
morning quiff

gnostic wrote:I've posted about this before, but for many the fact that every single memory Phil talks about is something they have either outright mentioned or alluded too (breakfasts, snowiest day ever, etc.)spiced up with some romantic detail is the opposite of proof. Like, over 1.5 year relationship they haven't accumulated any in joke or romantic memory they haven't tweeted about? Even the euphemism for sex was the one very familiar for fans (cherry)

Also pretty sure that eye language theory was debunked several times by reputable studies eithe way
At that time in their lives was there many days they didn't tweet about? If they had a nice day out they tweeted about it. If they had future plans they tweeted about it. If they had private jokes (like cherry lube) they tweeted in reference to them. In Dan's case if he had a feeling he seemed to tweet about it. And this wasn't just to do with things with each other their lives in general and their jokes and friendships with others. Nothing seemed to be off-limits then they just put their lives out their for people to see.
So to me it stands to reason if they were in a relationship everything they considered to be a significant moment for them would get referenced in a tweet at some point. This was before it ever occurred to either of them to protect their privacy and they quite literally liked to live their lives out on the internet. As a lot of people at that age do to be fair.

Also to be real if voldy is real it was actually a little early for them to be in love which is probably why there isn't more memories and private jokes to talk about. They'd only meet like 4 months previous and were long distance so only spent like 20-30 days actually together.
If I'd have been in the phandom at the time I'd have probably been side-eyeing Phil and giving them six months tops.
phamnotof
morning quiff
Pronouns: she/her

As someone who's spent many a month going through a fandom crisis, this is a weirdly poignant thing for you guys to discuss just as I find some footing and start wanting and tyring to dip my toes back into fandom.

My crisis also lead me to a lot of archives, proof an otherwise, anti and demon, and I do want to say this: the proof is always, always colored. You can't get an unbiased source as there is no such thing, and the source materials provided by either side are always bound to be colored by the narrative said side believes to be true. Nobody truly knows, and accepting that mild uncertainty was a weird struggle for me, like knowing I lost this single puzzle piece while moving and - nevermid, useless analogy. But you get what I mean? Everyone's invested, that's the very foundation of fandom, so you can't get objectivity/properly informed subjectivity. We all either want a certain result, want an answer, or just - want to have been right.

With that in mind, as far as the VDV goes: the sheer improbability of planning to fake leak a video only to change your mind and have it actually leak cause you never erased the video you wanted to fake leak never sat right with me, even as someone who's not really moved by it - but then, I'm a hearless robot who hates displays of affection that aren't food or sex. Really young closeted kids who are just learning to be famous and entangling themselves into a lot of messy years of half-truths and flat out lies, on the other hand? Yeah. That's the simplest explanation I've come to. As far as the nature of how it's made, gosh, yeah, it's so awkward. But then, wouldn't a 20-something kid who was never in a long-term, committed relationship, as far as we can deduce, learning to be in love and express it for the first time, to a camera in a stupid gesture of stupid young love, be the most awkward thing? And that's the nervous energy I get from it. The Can't-believe-I'm-doing-this-but-will-power-through. And sure, talking points, but as far as being somewhat rigid: pouring your heart out almost demands that, imo.
gnostic
stress mushroom

Who was that person with a signature like "still waiting for Dan's tell all book after their careers failed?" Cuz at this point that book would be the only thing settling the debate XD
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

gnostic wrote:Who was that person with a signature like "still waiting for Dan's tell all book after their careers failed?" Cuz at this point that book would be the only thing settling the debate XD
i don't know who they are but it's my favourite signature on here, everytime i see it i picture myself, age 65, marching into a bookshop with grim satisfaction

on the topic itself: i can't really join the discussion because i never watched voldy. however, i wanted to ask about opinions on this: the video always seems to bring up a lot of controversy, but do you think that it even has significance at this point? when people discuss whether it's "real" or not, the question is usually whether it was a prank or genuine on phil's behalf. i can't help but wonder, even if it was meant to be a "prank", they could have still been together at this point and planned it to tease their audience or whatever (would that have made sense? i don't know, but is it impossible?), or they could have planned it as a "prank" and got together afterwards, or it could have been genuine and they broke up a month later. from what i've seen, the most compelling arguments on whether they're in a romantic relationship or not seem to take the "grand scheme" into account, but the video itself -- does it even mean anything if it was real or not?

(not trying to say ~the whole discussion is futile, let's stop this~, i'm genuinely interested. i never had interest in actually seeing voldy and i don't have any strong opinion on whether deppy are in a romantic relationship or not, but i think it's interesting many people seem to have formed opinions on it and i'm wondering as to why that is)
thank's you were great
papierklemmen
flower crown

:sideeye: :sideeye: :sideeye: :sideeye: :sideeye: :sideeye: :sideeye: nooooo

pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

awh yay another impossible game video :3 i'll watch it now and then post my thoughts after.
:transheart:
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

Is it a thing that people hate the Impossible Quiz series? Why? :?
:D
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Don't judge before you have watched because so far (I'm half way through) this is one of my all time favourite videos. It is just too funny.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
secretagentphan
procrastinator

Eh they've been posting a lot lately so I can't exactly complain
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Phil at 13:50 in the video is something I have just rewatched about 10 times, he just sounds so done. Haha way an excellent video.
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

Finished. it's worth a watch. I promise.
I wanted to give them a hug when they discovered that they had to use the skips. Super happy they won though.
Last edited by RiriPandaHeart2 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?
SquishPhan
capita£ester

I laughed out loud quite a couple of times. Seems like I enjoy their (well mostly Dan’s) frustration.
And I’m not sure why but I thought Phil really shone in this vid.
papierklemmen
flower crown

well thank god, this video was hilarious af dan's slow descent into madness
malday
emo goose

gnostic wrote: This prank would in fact have only worked if uploaded in February. And I frankly tend to think that prank was even secondary to getting people talking, because our boys are nothing if not shrewd and ambitious. It's very easy for me to imagine Dan and Phil being inspired by usual hysteria around valentine's day and quickly throwing the thing together.

As to why they didn't go through with it: counterphan blog has a few nice pragramtic ideas (one that papierklemmen posted above even), but I like to think they realised it was a horrible, horrible idea, frankly offensive to LGBT viewers and generally something that can get out of control and land them in hot water. And it did. Dan, as we all remember, completely lost his shit. Although in long term, I will maintain, the voldy leak benefitted them immensely.

I don't remember any tweets or other responses of theirs that contradict the pranking story (i even checked the FAQ just now), so if you point me in that direction i will be happy to consider them
Second to the timeline evidence, it's precisely their( Dan's) reaction to the initial and the second leak of the video that really cements it not being a prank for me.
His responses are comically bad and his explanations are so half-assed, it's borderline ridiculous.

If you think they were clever enough back then to quickly put together a video backed up by so much of their online print, then you'd expect them to know how to properly explain it was a prank after deciding not to go through with it.

And frankly, with all the love for them, i don't think they(or Phil) would have been clever enough to write such an intricate script, no matter how "ambitious" they were. (If they were to write one now, yes, but not back then)
Last edited by malday on Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

8:56 "Stay hydrated" yet again
11:03 "This is worse than Cineworld" what happened at Cineworld?
Last edited by SexyTrashCan on Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KoolKatt
tol bean

I loved the new video, I couldn't stop laughing at Dan's frustraition
But I'm really glad this is the last one, this game just makes me feel incredibly anxious, it's definitely not on my list of relaxing games to play/watch

Also, when Phil got the answer right because of Katamari, i died
Yaz
tol bean

I really enjoyed the video a lot. Even if you are someone who dislikes the impossible quiz series I'd say give it a shot because it was quite funny.
And Phil! Oh my god, he steals my heart piece by piece with every new video this year. I used to be one of the people who would mostly focus on Dan on gaming videos unintentionally but now I can't stop looking at Phil. He has such a good energy and I'm so glad he is letting his personality shine a little bit more .
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

Ah slowly watching this and loving it
Phil is adorable and glowing this video
14:00 as well "Dan I need you" awww
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i loved the new video. like i love dan's frustration and phil's little comments here and there. it was an awesome video but i'm glad it's the last one bc that game gave me anxiety :c

also! i was looking through the vday pdf thing last night, and they made a dailybooth or twitter thing about bubble bobble (i think thats what the game called?) and they played it together, and then i thought about the bubble bobble video they made on DAPG and dan said it was his first time playing. did he lie o_o
:transheart:
gnostic
stress mushroom

As someone who spent all six videos in anticipation of Dan's reaction to the last question, I can confirm it was worth it

malday idk man if a 17 year old can write half decent fanfic Phil can come up with a nice script on the basis of real life friend events
papierklemmen
flower crown

Skylar wrote: did he lie o_o
y e p.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I am already on the second rewatch, I don't think I have ever laughed so much during a gaming video.
I usually say RIP ears for headphone users but tbh they might worry about their neighbours calling the police but I'm worried mine might think I live with a screaming banshee after watching it without headphones. It'll be the first time I actually laughed at Dans loudness, it was so justified.
Can't believe they didn't know that about the skips though, I was waiting for them to get to the last question and their reactions didn't let me down.
papierklemmen
flower crown

missemma wrote: Can't believe they didn't know that about the skips though, I was waiting for them to get to the last question and their reactions didn't let me down.
i have a feeling they knew it but still let it happen for our entertainment. they were spoiled about it on every single platform, they couldn't have not known tbh.
whiskisalildepressed
not a first-time poster

Hello! I've never posted on here before but, you guessed it, I'm an experienced lurker. I don't know if I'm doing this right, but can I just say: did Dan say at around 25:16 that he's 26 in the new gvideo?