Dan & Phil Part 38: Everlasting as the Sun

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
misakichan274
delia smith
Pronouns: she/they

Maybe Dan thought this game literally aged him 6 months and felt justified in thinking he's 26 lol
bantstrash
delia smith

I forget my age all the time now. The only reason I know it for sure this year is because I have a big depressing birthday coming up. Because I was so aware of it though I spent all of last year up until my birthday thinking I was a year older than I was and then after it I thought I was a year younger as my husband is 4 months younger than me but I think of us as being the same age.

TL:DR birthdays are harder the older you get and if someone you are very close to has just had a birthday it can be very confusing.

oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert
Pronouns: she/her

Moderator Action :
Hey guys, I'm going to be making the thread name poll pretty soon, so if you want to suggest something from the new video, now's your chance.
busy being happy~
parallel
phabergé

yupitsme wrote:Since the merging process is in its final stages, they've decided to both adopt Phil's birthday and will use that from now on
gnostic wrote:The video being filmed in the future and uploaded via time machine #confirmed. That's the trick to their newfound productivity, finally revealed!
Most likely. Also, I'm from Surrey (near London) and I never round my age nor have I met anyone who does? I think that quiz just gave Dan a few mental issues haha.

Anyway, honestly, no humour could save TIZ. I'm so done with it. Sorry to be a cynic, but I'm utterly sick of TIZ and the only thing good about this video was that it brought the end of the series. I thought it was Crossy Road as well from the tweet :( But oh well, I don't like Crossy Road that much either.
dontpanic
#relatable

[offtopic]Jenna Marbles just made a vid of her reacting to "smash or pass" vids of her to show how uncomfortable it is and how she's a real person they'll see at professional youtube events and stuff, I just thought it was so interesting. I know it would never happen but I would LOVE if deppy did something like that[/offtopic]
I usually hate impossible quiz vids but I found myself actually laughing so much in this one, it's times like this where I'm so impressed with how they're personalities work so well together.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

After having watched the video like 6 times tonight, the section between 8:30 and 8:50 is very interesting to me.

Dan goes on a rant (& gets way over the top) with Phil telling him to be quiet because the neighbours will call the police. This then leads into a jumpcut where (imo) it looks like Phil is trying to reason with Dan/trying to calm him down (basically trying to get a word in whilst Dan just carries on ranting) and at the end Dan tells him to move away and Phil pulls the best face. It just opens my eyes to how they interact with each other and this section shows me a new side to them. I really enjoyed rewatching that bit, I love a bit of whiney Dan.

I thought my post would be best if I added some photos.
1. the first bit of my post (the shushing and reasoning):

2. The move over and phil's look at being told to move

Sorry if they're massive images I'm on my phone!
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
malday
emo goose

Is it just me or is posting timestamps in the comments disabled for that video? (the comment won't show up)

eta: if it is disabled could it be to prevent people from watching just certain moments(like the hear eyes moment blabla) and watch the whole thing?
Last edited by malday on Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rigby
lady door

The video was great, but it made me so anxious that I sped through the last part until they got to the last question. I was so happy they won that I actually raised my arms to celebrate
uglyamerican
woodland creature

LeftHandedism wrote:[offtopic]
uglyamerican wrote:
LeftHandedism wrote:
uglyamerican wrote:
pilotlight wrote:
uglyamerican wrote:OT to the thrust of the past few pages, speaking as an east coast American, we pronounce tattoo as "tat-too." I don't know what Dan was going on about saying that "Americans" pronounce tattoo differently than he does / Brits do. I've never heard anyone pronouncing tattoo as "tat-ooo." Maybe his flower crown was on too tight.
Oh, I have a pronunciation question for you or anybody else from the relatively same region. I'm not American or a native English speaker but I'm from eastern Canada. I've never heard Erin and Aaron pronounced differently, I swear they're the same here, or if not I really can't hear the difference when people here say them. Is that the case on the east coast of the US, or do you guys have some sort of distinction between the two names too?
(This relates to Dan saying Erin or Aaron during the ls, in case you missed that part and have no idea what I'm babbling at you about.)
Aaron and Erin are pronounced basically the same most of the time, particularly if the speaker is lazy. However, in the unlikely event you have two friends, one named Erin and the other Aaron, and they happened to be in the same room at the same time, and you needed to address Aaron. In this case, you *might* stress the "Aa's" making them sound like "air," and clearly pronounce two syllables. If you needed to speak to Erin, you *might* put less emphasis on the first vowel, and pronounce the name almost as a single syllable. It's likely that they both would turn around in response, at least until they learn how you pronounce their names.
Hm, originally an East Coast American here. I pronounce Aaron and Erin differently, both with two syllables. The difference is not in the second syllable but in the first.

Roughly speaking:

'Erin' is pronounced with the 'E' sounding like the 'e' in 'set'
'Aaron' is pronounced with the 'Aa' sounding like the 'a' in 'sat'
Either you're posh or from New York :D I should add that a boy I grew up with name was Aaron, and he pronounced it as I described.
Neither! But maybe I'm Lin-Manuel Miranda :

[/offtopic]
I postulated "New York" because some of my friends from up that way might pronounce Aaron in the way you describe; "posh" was just having a bit of fun.

From the Wikipedia rabbit hole / alternate facts depository:

"The English pronunciation of the biblical Aaron's name was derived by anglicising the Latin during the Church of England's translation of the Authorized King James Bible in 1611 (possibly influenced by older English translations of the bible from Anglo Saxon times onwards). The modern Church of England Pronunciation Guide, the BBC pronunciation guide,[6] the Mormon pronunciation guide,[7] the Oxford English Dictionary,[8] the Longman pronunciation guide,[9] and Harper Collins Biblical Pronunciation Guide[10] all define this modern English pronunciation as /ɛərən/ ("air-run", where "air" is the same sound as in "dairy"). This pronunciation is used in the 1956 film The Ten Commandments featuring the biblical Aaron, by UK chief rabbi Jonathan Sacks when speaking in English,[11] and in the BBC production of Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus.[12]"
Viofish
glabella

papierklemmen wrote:
rizzo wrote: Another thought I just had, not directed at you, gnostic, but anyone who may know in general. Presuming it is a prank (.... ) Did Dan and Phil end up doing an April Fool's joke on their audience in 2010? You'd think that, had they been prepping an idea for two months in advance, they were really pumped about the holiday. If the initial plan was scrapped, why not replace it with something less intense?
i like one of the suggestions from the counterphan blog (although i never checked its validity myself i.e. checking the tweets, but i'm sure it's a valid guess):
2. If you look at their tweets on Apr. 1st, 2010, they were both focused on winning the giffgaff competition (Dan for “How to Use a Gimp” and Phil for “Captain Stress Relief”). If they had released the video as planned, it likely would’ve had two results: one, it would have taken people’s attention away from the competition and thus from voting, and two, people might have been upset enough by being pranked to not vote (voting was open until Apr. 8). In particular, people from the LGBTQ community might not have appreciated two guys pretending to be in a same-sex relationship just for a prank. The prize for the winners was a good chunk of money, so they definitely had an incentive to not do anything that might jeopardize their chances of winning.
http://counterphan.tumblr.com/vday2 (password protected soulmate)
EDIT:

marcus, piss off lol

can't believe their own friends are using them for views. the shame
"when you finna nut but no one wants to help with your kink"
Viofish
glabella

"I hope you like it---you probably did because its dan and phil"

ok Marcus looks like you've run out of ideas :sideeye:
"when you finna nut but no one wants to help with your kink"
parallel
phabergé

The Marcus video wasn't even funny in any way, shape, or form. He didn't even try to make it entertaining. He just literally took a fucking quiz and waited for the Phandom views to roll in. Ugh.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

The only consolation is that by the end Marcus seemed just as unimpressed with himself as we are with him.
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

I had to laugh when he was incredulously asking like "Who knows the answers to these things?"

Dude, you have noooooo idea the things the phandom knows about those two. Nooooo idea.
Elemancy
butt chair

missemma wrote:After having watched the video like 6 times tonight, the section between 8:30 and 8:50 is very interesting to me.

Dan goes on a rant (& gets way over the top) with Phil telling him to be quiet because the neighbours will call the police. This then leads into a jumpcut where (imo) it looks like Phil is trying to reason with Dan/trying to calm him down (basically trying to get a word in whilst Dan just carries on ranting) and at the end Dan tells him to move away and Phil pulls the best face. It just opens my eyes to how they interact with each other and this section shows me a new side to them. I really enjoyed rewatching that bit, I love a bit of whiney Dan.
I thought my post would be best if I added some photos.
1. the first bit of my post (the shushing and reasoning):

2. The move over and phil's look at being told to move
Sorry if they're massive images I'm on my phone!
I have nothing constructive to add except.. Phil's profile in the last two pictures. send help...

I don't know if it was just cathartic to see them finally win this thing or if their dynamic here helped save the series as a whole for me, but I especially loved this video (and watching them struggle not to implode from sheer frustration)
:dildo:
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i didn;t watch the marcus video but i sort of refuse to. using the phandom for views like that...wtf?
:transheart:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

pilotlight wrote:I had to laugh when he was incredulously asking like "Who knows the answers to these things?"

Dude, you have noooooo idea the things the phandom knows about those two. Nooooo idea.
I agree. It was clear that Marcus was using the phandom but I still thought his reactions to the questions were funny. I like Marcus so I am a bit biased but if he does have to make another video about dan and Phil then I'd like it if he either
1. Collabed with them
2. Reacted to pinof 8/bloopers or one of their best friends quiz videos
Ilovethemohyesido
living flop

I loved Phil in this video, especially because when Dan lost it (all those times), it was nice to see how Phil was trying to calm him down. I know Dan was probably playing it a little bit for thee camera, but I couldn't help to wonder if that how it works (in a leess dramatic version) in their own lives.
flurry
living flop

gnostic wrote:flurry I am always here for polite debate!

Well, to be honest i never saw anything in Dan and Phil's relationship from their videos that screamed "dating" rather than just genuine fondness. I initially believed they were dating because on my initial brief research into phandom, I was presented with mountains of evidence that made it silly to believe they were anything but a couple.

At that time one of bed sharing debates was in full steam, and it was generally assumed by the people I followed on the matter that they actually did share a bed in that particular hotel based on a bunch of circumstantial evidence gathered. I accidentally stumbled upon a blog of complete demon anti phannie person who actually procured pictures of that hotel and it was evident the room was twin bed one. None of the blogs i followd reposted it, so I wondered if other evidence might have been wrong, biased or taken out of context. What do you think, much of it was! Especially the counterphan timeline impressed me

After sufficient research the standing anti-phan evidence simply outweighed the phan evidence, by far.
Oh gnostic that's interesting! I myself have never gone to find phan research - I've mostly just watched their videos and stayed off their tag on other social media platforms. I only just watched the infamous video this year - about six years after I first started watching them! From watching just their channel videos (not even liveshows), I kinda felt they were together during PINOF 1 and then I felt they were just friends after that. The only time I started feeling they might be together again was during the recent Dec gamingmas and their newer videos this year. And when I saw the infamous video, it cemented what I felt when I saw the early PINOFs. But then again, that was a long time ago and no one really knows what happened then or in between or even now.

Could you point me to the research that influenced you to think the way you do? Thanks! :)

Sorry if I'm still on the issue when everyone else might have gotten off it- I just woke up and I haven't caught up with the thread! Apologies.
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

Vote for the next thread name here!
busy being happy~
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I caved and watched Marcus' video, saw him get so many hopelessly wrong, then I did the quiz and got nine out of ten so to you, Marcus. But yes, views. Bad views. Oh well.

Interesting moment, missemma, Phil does look a little surprised and put out. I know how crowded Dan might have felt at that point, though, it's a stressful feeling.
anushwa
crusty sponge

[offtopic]hey @ 7:13 do we know what game that phil invented that he's talking about?
[/offtopic]
"the greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return"
anushwa
crusty sponge

flarequake wrote:I caved and watched Marcus' video, saw him get so many hopelessly wrong, then I did the quiz and got nine out of ten so to you, Marcus. But yes, views. Bad views. Oh well.

Interesting moment, missemma, Phil does look a little surprised and put out. I know how crowded Dan might have felt at that point, though, it's a stressful feeling.
true but I think he stressed on that because Phil kept playing the bongos on his arms and kept making him misclick lol
"the greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return"
flurry
living flop

I thought I would hate the video because the last few Impossible Quiz videos made me feel frustrated and antsy but I actually laughed out loud a couple of times with this one! I thought it was hilarious the way Dan got so worked up - it is quite #relatable in some ways. And how Phil tries to stay calm and shush him and keep things chill! I liked the overall vibe of the video and I'm also so pleased they finally finished it. About time indeed.

Those matching jackets though - is it a thing now that they coordinate their clothes?? It was rather cute and also a surprise I feel.

Also is there anyone else who would like to see them play Shelter 2 together or is it just me?? I really enjoyed Phil's solo playthrough of Shelter although I realise it got few views compared to their other videos. If both of them put moose hats and played Shelter 2, it might be a lot more popular though!
human
dan hand trash

Lolling at the idea that Marcus is their "friend". At best, he seems to have the same mancrush on Dan that everyone else has haha. I don't even know if I can stand to watch that video tbh.