Dan & Phil Part 39: There's no integrity here

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: Phan Trash

simmehchan wrote: Imagine seeing them on the bus, I would probably faint
Ohmygods. If only I lived in London :sobs: Also... they're literal giants (and they look so cozy :D).
papierklemmen
flower crown

lurker wrote:
papierklemmen wrote:idk Dan's (presumably) drunk sad tweets on the day of phil's homecoming are still my favourite think to wonder about. what was going through his head? what the hell was happening? was he tipsy or was he just lonely sat in a corner? was he in manchester from the start or did he come later? etc.
please contribute to me procrastinating brighten up my day by telling me which tweets you're talking about?
it was a series of typical "i have a crisis but it's joke" dan tweets but something about them was a bit off that day, so people assume he might have been drunk tweeting, esp. considering his @replies the next day. what was also interesting is that they came a few days after the iconic "ribena" ( ) liveshow (i.e. might not have been ribena, slurring words, "i won't get a dog, it's like when you're trying to save a relationship by having a child" etc.) and on the day of #whyisphilrunning and phil's homecoming (or more like a meetup with friends) in machester (dan was with him, as everyone later found out).

28 august, 2015
next day:
and finally
Last edited by papierklemmen on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
majitzu
angel bean

Oh that series of tweets were so confusing, they still are tbh. I gave up in trying to understand what really happened that weekend
papierklemmen
flower crown

welp dan is gonna be pissed. :?
majitzu wrote:Oh that series of tweets were so confusing, they still are tbh. I gave up in trying to understand what really happened that weekend
i think the consensus was that dan was probs worried about the upcoming book and his future, had a drink or two and sat alone tweeting while dan was talking to his friends.
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

papierklemmen, thanks for filling me in! i also didn't know about that liveshow, it sure sounds wild.
thank's you were great
mez29
procrastinator

SexyTrashCan wrote:
Phil looks slightly pissed off from what I can see
I think it looks like Dan is saying something to Phil and Phil is concentrating on hearing it over the bus noise.
nephilimcat
woodland creature
Pronouns: she/her

fancybum wrote:
edit: ew at creepshotting them in public, they're not animals in a zoo, how gross must that feel
I second this. I'm not surprised they hardly leave their flat :? And it's considered normal to take photos of people you are a fan of People even say "Oh, as if you wouldn't take a photo if you saw XY". No, I wouldn't. I just hate it. Like, really hate it. Sorry, this topic is one of those I constantly mention, but I just can't help it.
pulvis et umbra sumus
Laney
drama llama

nephilimcat wrote:
fancybum wrote:
edit: ew at creepshotting them in public, they're not animals in a zoo, how gross must that feel
I second this. I'm not surprised they hardly leave their flat :? And it's considered normal to take photos of people you are a fan of People even say "Oh, as if you wouldn't take a photo if you saw XY". No, I wouldn't. I just hate it. Like, really hate it. Sorry, this topic is one of those I constantly mention, but I just can't help it.
I agree as well! I understand most people that do this are probably not aware/don't understand that what they're doing is wrong, but Dnp must always feel so self-conscious when outside because of these type of things :(
flurry
living flop

I don't think Phil looks pissed in the bus pic? He looks like anyone else would on public transport - vacant and staring off into nothing.

horse video: It was a tad "wth??" for me because I didn't think Dan and Phil would play this sort of games. For the people who didn't like it here: was it because it felt too weird or uncomfortable? It seemed like Dan was testing Phil's reaction to it by the way he kept looking at him and seeming pleased that Phil got into it rather than being totally weirded out.

To be honest, I also don't really know how to feel about Japanese culture and entertainment being constantly branded as "weird" - I mean, it certainly is different and seems wacky and insane from a western perspective (I'll like to stress this) - not that bestiality is alright or whatever, but I find that Japanese culture on a whole is very restrained so when it comes to their entertainment it gets a bit wild and crazy and experimental, and just rather different from what we would be used to. My thoughts anyway.

On the Phil tattoo/nsfw thing: Uh I really didn't like seeing those pics here like this - and there didn't seem any evidence at all that it was the same person?? Sorry.

As for their tweets - I've just stopped reading their twitter haha it doesn't interest me much.

Their uploading schedule is amazing anyway! I also never thought a title of a Dan and Phil video would include the word "boyfriend" in it and they would be voicing a girl and her horse boyfriend so yeah, new things happening all round!
Ktn
placenta

Ok, so I very recently found you all again after most people left that other place, and the horse video has inspired me to post again after a while lurking.

I loved it. Just the right amount of weird, good interaction and Phil's sexy horse voice and Dan's laugh at around 11:47 actually brightened my morning.

I agree that they both need to knock off the 'omg so socially awkward, why am I sooo weird' tweets. I doubt most of these things actually happen, it's just too unrealistic (and I am also someone that weird and unlikely seems to follow). They know how to be people despite their constant, deliberate and ~relatable~ insistence to the contrary.
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

Taking pictures of people in public without them knowing is so creepy, imo. :?
flurry wrote: For the people who didn't like it here: was it because it felt too weird or uncomfortable?
Nah, not for me. The idea of the game was funny-weird but the actual gameplay was mostly just a bunch of dialogue that I wasn't interested in. Not that that's necessarily a problem, they've played games that are just as boring before and I've enjoyed their ~bants~ but for some reason this one just didn't capture my interest. Maybe it was my mood, idk. I might give a rewatch and see if I feel any differently the second time around.
papierklemmen
flower crown

flurry wrote:For the people who didn't like it here: was it because it felt too weird or uncomfortable?
nah, i just thought it was painfully boring.
MoonPride
moon room

Been mia for a while because of real life and I come back and the conspiracies had me chuckling I love your dectective work guys, it really cheered me up today.

Also regarding the last video, I hated it. I found it boring but then again I hate those type of mobile games.
dontpanic
#relatable

tweet wise...I totally get where everyone is coming from but like, when dan tried to spice up his tweeting life around christmas everyone was also complaining about that and I feel like that's a lot closer to his real humor (especially b/c of how defensive he got/liveshow rant about self-depreciating humor/wholesome Howell tweet). I mean, it feels like the "branding" argument is used a little too much, maybe sometimes they just tweet what they want to tweet?

and yeah phil...has very generic tweets, tbh I have like 100 followers on twitter and I don't talk about my parents--phil has 4 million follwers and a fanbase active enough to take creepshots on the bus, even tweeting about his brother and aunt seemed brave, but talking about what he's doing with his parents on a huge social media platform while they're still in london seems crazy. We were able to figure out where they had dinner the day after valentines day, Phil could say the most innocent thing about spending time out with family and people could probably figure out where they are and potentially show up there.

also I'm so sorry this is SO offtopic, but I was wondering if anyone knows why dan collabed twice with Tyler? they're not that good of friends are they? and Deppy rarely collaborate with other people let alone twice...was it just because they both had a lot of followers and wanted to make the $$$? was it because tyler collab(ed) with basically everyone and dan felt left out? are they actually pretty close and I just haven't noticed? Are dan and tyler secretly dating and they needed a cover to explain why they were together so much?
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

dontpanic wrote:tweet wise...I totally get where everyone is coming from but like, when dan tried to spice up his tweeting life around christmas everyone was also complaining about that and I feel like that's a lot closer to his real humor (especially b/c of how defensive he got/liveshow rant about self-depreciating humor/wholesome Howell tweet). I mean, it feels like the "branding" argument is used a little too much, maybe sometimes they just tweet what they want to tweet?

and yeah phil...has very generic tweets, tbh I have like 100 followers on twitter and I don't talk about my parents--phil has 4 million follwers and a fanbase active enough to take creepshots on the bus, even tweeting about his brother and aunt seemed brave, but talking about what he's doing with his parents on a huge social media platform while they're still in london seems crazy. We were able to figure out where they had dinner the day after valentines day, Phil could say the most innocent thing about spending time out with family and people could probably figure out where they are and potentially show up there.

also I'm so sorry this is SO offtopic, but I was wondering if anyone knows why dan collabed twice with Tyler? they're not that good of friends are they? and Deppy rarely collaborate with other people let alone twice...was it just because they both had a lot of followers and wanted to make the $$$? was it because tyler collab(ed) with basically everyone and dan felt left out? are they actually pretty close and I just haven't noticed? Are dan and tyler secretly dating and they needed a cover to explain why they were together so much?
That last line made me burst out laughing.
Is Danler a thing?
I only know that Deppy have known Tyler for years, Tyler was all the way back in a 2012 Phil video called "I don't like cheese" so possibly good friends?
:D
squishydanny
crusty sponge

dontpanic wrote:also I'm so sorry this is SO offtopic, but I was wondering if anyone knows why dan collabed twice with Tyler? they're not that good of friends are they? and Deppy rarely collaborate with other people let alone twice...was it just because they both had a lot of followers and wanted to make the $$$? was it because tyler collab(ed) with basically everyone and dan felt left out? are they actually pretty close and I just haven't noticed? Are dan and tyler secretly dating and they needed a cover to explain why they were together so much?
Dan and Tyler are convention buddies from what I can discern. Meaning- whenever they're at Vidcon/Playlist they seem to get along/hangout what not. Shipping phan has been a running jest for Tyler (he has reblogged things about it, said he ships phan at an event before). Dan collabed with Tyler twice because Tyler reached out to him for "Auguest" which was a thing on Tylers channel where he would have a different collab with someone for every day(?) of August.
In 2014 Tyler just collabed with Dan and everyone was sorta ??? :sideeye: as to why he didn't also collab with Phil, since he was already at their apartment. People guessed that a) Phil wasn't around or b) Tyler didn't ask Phil because they weren't as good of friends/didn't have similar subscriber counts. Phil then collabed with Tyler in 2015 but did not get as close to as many views Tyler and Dan did (4 million on Phils, 3 million on Tylers). I think the reason Dan agreed to collab with him twice is because they have good chemistry on camera, similar senses of humor, and (were) close in subscriber count. Dan and Tyler's collabs did very well (2014: 9 million on Dans channel, 9 million of Tylers channel 2015: 7 million on Dans, 3 million on Tylers -it was a 7 second challenge so I guess thats why it didn't do well? idk)
Tyler's collab in 2014 is actually what introduced me to Dan which led me to Phil...and here I am 3 years later. :D
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

dontpanic wrote:also I'm so sorry this is SO offtopic, but I was wondering if anyone knows why dan collabed twice with Tyler? they're not that good of friends are they? and Deppy rarely collaborate with other people let alone twice...was it just because they both had a lot of followers and wanted to make the $$$? was it because tyler collab(ed) with basically everyone and dan felt left out? are they actually pretty close and I just haven't noticed? Are dan and tyler secretly dating and they needed a cover to explain why they were together so much?
Tyler's Auguest collabs were a huge moneymaker for him back when he was actually invested in his youtube channel as a main focus of his career. He'd do a full month of collabs every single day, and generally he'd film a collab with everyone for their own channels too. (So like, the Dan/Tyler video on Tyler's channel would drop at the same time as the Dan/Tyler video on Dan's channel would, a two-for-one.)

If what you mean is why did Dan agree to it? I think he's very comfortable with Tyler. Why is anyone's guess - but Tyler is very charismatic, has a track record of being there for closeted youtubers before they've come out, and has a sense of humor that strangely enough seems to be pretty on target with Dan's. Dan and Tyler's collabs are by far the most easy to watch ones on Dan's channel (discounting Phil) so I think their natural chemistry irl and how it transferred onscreen is why Dan was happy to do collabs with Tyler.

Or, they were dating.
yupitsme
sofa crease

CallMeAyana wrote:
Ohmygods. If only I lived in London :sobs: Also... they're literal giants (and they look so cozy :D).
Did anyone else notice Dan is doing his sweater paws again? I wonder if he actually did it to feel cosy or because he thought holding the pole was gross because of bus bacteria
gnostic
stress mushroom

SexyTrashCan wrote:
Phil looks slightly pissed off from what I can see
Nah just normal Brit commute face
Just here for the marketing skills
000dia000
emo goose

I wouldn't really consider these "relatable" tweets that display them as any way socially awkward as anything unrealistic. I don't doubt for a second that Dan would say "CHICKEN" out loud or Phil would hit his head while snooping on people outside on the street. It's like the discussion on their personas being fake-they're very much like their actual selves but just the prominent characteristics amplified until they're turned into caricatures of their real selves.

These tweets are kind of like that, we only see the idealistic version of themselves (and while their personal lives are out of bounds, we instead get the happy-go-lucky, "lol, random" kind of tweets.) And yeah, their tweets are repetitive, I made the theory that they get high once and year and draft these kind of timeless, space-less tweets that mostly give no real indication of their location, their feelings or anything personal about them. Instead, they give a snippet of a moment, as if you're really there, it happens and it's relatable but you don't really care.
:cactus:
vincentian
hobbit hair

Is it too late to post about the horse video?
Will do anyway, inspired by the (great!) thread title. I loved the video, it's v funny and almost too fitting for D&P's brand of humour/youtube history (with animal jokes, anime references, inappropriate/weird sexualness etc.). Their reactions were a bit toned down, and Phil wasn’t into it in the beginning at all (judging from how fakely enthusiastic he sounded mentioning the sprinkle sound and the nice lawn lol), but we got some interesting/cute moments later on, both seemed to enjoy/test the other's reaction to the game. I loved how Dan pretty heavily hinted to choose the 2nd option in the third “talk” with the horse prince, then kinda called it a bold choice to mess with us, then looked so delighted when Phil finally chose it and got his third “excellent”.
I’m not annoyed with their on-brand tweets anymore as they have stuck to the same tweeting pattern for a while now, I don’t expect them to share anything interesting related to their actual lives (unless it affects their ls/upload schedule). The latest couple of tweets were very lame, agreed, but those incredibly mundane mishaps to me sounded like something that really happened, isn’t that ironic in a way that we find them boring/question them.
I enjoy Dan’s rare "angsty" “jk” tweets and Phil's weird tweets that he leaves unexplained. Idk if I should ask here or on the white whale thread, but I always wondered what exactly this Dan tweet referred to?
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

i actually enjoy dan and phil's sort of "generic" tweets. they might be a bit bland sure but i mean..i still enjoy them
:transheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

vincentian wrote:Their reactions were a bit toned down, and Phil wasn’t into it in the beginning at all (judging from how fakely enthusiastic he sounded mentioning the sprinkle sound and the nice lawn lol), but we got some interesting/cute moments later on, both seemed to enjoy/test the other's reaction to the game.
Phil was definitely not into it to start with. In fact, it's just shy of six minutes in when he says "This is quite funny, Dan." in his non-AP tvoice, like he's surprised to actually be finding it funny.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

btw i wanted to ask. this is probably a dumb question but how can you tell when there's a jump cut in deppy's videos?
:transheart:
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

Skylar wrote:btw i wanted to ask. this is probably a dumb question but how can you tell when there's a jump cut in deppy's videos?
Well usually basically just by the fact that they've clearly moved even slightly or a miniature pause
:D