Dan & Phil Part 1: The Mods are NOT EXEMPT FROM ANY RULES

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

akui wrote:
jaej wrote:
what happened aside from bour/japhan/lube/iom anyway? i remember being excited and idk about what, even if i was looking forward to bour (never bought the book or saw them but :D :D )
The most recent one I can remember is the modern family/netflix and phil incident.
oh god. that was a disaster and the biggest fuss over nothing.
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
majitzu
angel bean

jaej wrote: i don't like being really negative (,
...)
I tought you were going to put something positive under the spoiler but nope

I want to be excited about the crunchyroll video, but there is not enought anime in that site

[offtopic]give a look to our last thread on gigi 8-)[/offtopic]
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

Lari wrote:
sweetmm wrote:The best memory of Japhan is how a few of us managed to track their flight from London and later how from a picture of a corner of their hotel room two of the posters managed to identify the hotel and even the room layout.

Yes it was creepy as hell but the Sherlock Holmes skills were off the scale
knowing where they were staying and trying to ignore the pms from lurkers that wanted to know (it was scary to see that people signed up just to ask that)
We felt like we were Secret Service guarding something precious and didn't Kiro-gate followed straight after?
kooshka
living flop

shezza wrote:[offtopic]So since dinofvyou1 went inactive, I've really really missed the nice, condensed versions of the liveshows, no 'say hi/happy birthday' and other irrelevant stuff. Would it be shit of me to start making them until dinofvyou1 comes back (pls come back)). would anybody here be remotely interested in that? or do you think i shouldn't because it's obviously not my original idea [/offtopic]
I've been missing those!! Esp. Phil's shows are a mess, he keeps answering those "say hi" things too much and I have very little interest in watching them. A message to dinofvyou1 wouldn't hurt, we don't know how long the break they're taking is. I know they have a tumblr but if I remember correctly the latest post stated that there's no use sending asks there since they don't use it actively. So a message through YT could maybe go through better. But yeah I'd be very happy if someone did those in the meantime.
jaej
moon room

majitzu wrote:
jaej wrote: i don't like being really negative (,
...)
I tought you were going to put something positive under the spoiler but nope
am i really jaej if i don't ruin everyone's fun? i'm taking the middle road of being unhappy but hiding it to let people have their own fun too
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
shezza
crusty sponge

Thank you to the peeps that have been lovely about it

I sent them a message through youtube, that I hope they are going to respond to- if anybody knows a quicker way or has their twitter or something, send me a PM please :)
I'll wait for a response to post it (or maybe if there is none, I'll make it so that only you guys can see it)
hamisnotonfire
phillion/danosaur <//3
Pronouns: she/her

oqua wrote:[offtopic]Hey guys, I have a questions about a couple of Phil's shirts.

Basically, does anyone know what either of these two shirts depict? Are they character from something? Album covers? Random meaningless images? I've been curious for a long time haha.[/offtopic]

I think the top one might be the band Gorillaz. If it's not...it is in their general cartoon style

The bottom one I don't recognize
gasp
phillion/danosaur <//3

Them going to Greece with Bryony and Wirrow was fun. One of my favs if only because we got the praying mantis vid- plus gg sherlock struck again.
Overall, my favorite things involved the bour and their marketing-the business aspects and how that affects the phandom. The ethics of it all etc. Youtube as a business is super interesting to me, and I love their model in general- although im loving it less as time goes on. Call me a traditionalist
I think the thing I'm most proud of is the survey. So much effort and time was put into creating and spreading it, and crunching the numbers. Super happy with the number of responses too. Everyone involved kicked ass. 30000 responses is still mindblowing.
"I will sue your ass into oblivion"
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

Ok guys we have hit page 35; the result of the poll is 50/50 so we will open a new poll and include daddy and mum as a choice to be fair.

Please vote

http://strawpoll.me/7228325
daphenaxa
blobfish

shezza wrote:[offtopic]So since dinofvyou1 went inactive, I've really really missed the nice, condensed versions of the liveshows, no 'say hi/happy birthday' and other irrelevant stuff. Would it be shit of me to start making them until dinofvyou1 comes back (pls come back)). would anybody here be remotely interested in that? or do you think i shouldn't because it's obviously not my original idea [/offtopic]
OMG if you did that that would be AMAZING i miss DINOFvyou1 SO MUCH it's crazy. but yeah condensed live shows would be really cool and I don't think it is disrespectful. A lot of people would appreciate it.

My favourite time in the phandom was in mid 2013 actually. Those times were SO EXCITING. It was the beginning of the radio show that was a huge deal to everyone and DP were so happy and excited and proud about it. It was also the time they began to do younows and I remember that site was ridiculous. it logged people out constantly, crashed every single time, Dan got us to vote him out once. People were always putting him in prison which was incredibly annoying. Good times... Coincidently that was also the start of vyou1. I think their older channel which contained mainly the vyous was deleted around this time too.
I don't know those were just exciting times, the fandom was high-boiling, Dan was uploading regularly and doing SKETCHES, youtube was changing fast and there were so many prospects for everyone. At the time I also feel the one direction like fandom had not completely taken over and some old guard fans were still there.
Actually i am gonna stop because talking about that time makes me kinda sad. LOSER

For the japhan room I wasn't on gigi yet but when I read back old threads I was SO IMPRESSED with the FBI skills. Honestly that was some Hercule Poirot/Sherlock Homes/Miss Marple kind of genious lol.

now I am late but here my impressions of dan’s liveshow: first I loved it! I kinda needed my fix but it was fun. I like how honest and less guarded he was. very ironic and witty. he is just so much more entertaining and funnier when he let it go and doesn’t try to censor himself too much. I loved how he sassed the chat repeatedly. There was absolutely no valuable information or very interesting topics but idk I felt it was lovely.

- the grilled vegetable appreciation minute was fun, as was the candle story and the fact he was honest and unfazed about renting to Phil for hours and Phil not caring at all.
I think we saw that dynamic a few times now. With Dan needing to express deep, complex opinions about a film or some shit and Phil just being ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ « yeah was ok ». (the time he made fun of Dan’s hand gestures in a joint liveshow comes to mind, Dan was renting about the walking dead at the time).
- I am with him on the jelly beans. they’re kinda gross.
- I am with him for the dentist so much. love it too. I love the sensation of cleanliness after and during the thing I don’t think it’s painful, just so satisfying.
- I am with him on the pyjama appreciation, he is so right. I can’t wait to go back home and put them on every single day of my life
- he has said before that he cuddles pillows, but this time with the Haru pillow in the background and the little giggle, it made me snort.
- loved the pokemon rage 2.0
- some great quotes:
« if you’re attracted to somebody you’ll want them to sniff you eventually ». yeah smelling good is important. good advice with uncle Dan
« very invasive slightly arousing quite cool »
« onion, what did onions do to you?, you like a one layer person or something »
« when you’re tall, your life is just under-chin »
« it was my bday and i turned 20. gross look forward to death »
« a drain, top 5 best places to vomit »
- Ok on amazing dan, I disagree with you guys I don't wanna see it. I am happy it's dead. I don't need more Phil on Dan's channel and i don't need more #random Q&A.

- For the "playing like a clown for the internet" comment. it's not the 1st time he says it and it's not the 1st time he says it in such brutal words. I can understand doing something for leisure and doing something professionally is different. I know that reading or writing in my own time and doing it for school are not at all bringing the same pleasurable experience for me for example. But honestly I think that when you talk about playing video games, Dan and Phil should GET OVER THEMSELVES.
I kind of understand the positioning they are trying to go with their channel. They are not really gamers in youtube terms like Felix, mark, Jack and all those other loud annoying guys I will NEVER watch (not the time, not the dexterity, also it is supposedly a side and not a main channel). so they will never be able to compete with those channels and tried to find a niche. And they did, it works with the numbers and not gonna lie, I am not a gamer, I don't watch gamers and I watch them so their strategy does work. What it does though is cut a huge part of their possible audience because their non excitement is showing and even non gamers like me, actually prefer watching them excitedly play mario kart/mortal combat than akinator and chimbot. And I also understand that they don't wanna be judged too harshly about their gaming skills because a lot of games fandoms seem pretty harsh and insane. But look at the sims, everyone already says they suck at it (I personally like the sims series and know nothing about the game so idc). My point is they are gonna be criticized anyways. So I think they should try to at least do something they enjoy, (or loath less?).

Finally I know that post is already a life long essay and terribly boring but just like Dan needs to rent about cloverfield, I need to rend about the radio show situation. You all will be my Phil. :platonic:

As I said, 2013 was so exciting mainly because of the radio show, they and all the fandom took such pride to it, so it is disheartening to see it's (probably) gonna get dropped like shit, exactly like SAP was ( :sobs: still not over it) and kind of like the superior Sunday 2hours show was. I agree with everyone it is not a surprise after going to 2hours every week to 1hour a month. Plus stripping it down to only a few bants with mainly music when it was a lot more personality heavy in the first place. So yeah it's hardly surprising and yeah it was already half dead. But still I was SO ATTACHED TO IT and absolutely loved it because it was the thing they did that imo brought the most genuine interactions/reactions/comments that we have of them and especially of them together.

And also they are so good at it, effortlessly funny and entertaining. I really love it. All the presenting they have done is quite good, quite fun usually very awkward and I kinda like it because i like them, and if they wanna go in that direction it's their choice but honestly what they were really good at was the radio show.

and I disagree with the people saying they are being profesional by not talking about it at all. It's not true. Haruing everything they don't like, being sneaky and secretive it not professional and it's really tiring and kind of disrespectful of us too. I am not asking great details or them to latch onto radio 1. I understand that they are not gonna say if they got fired, quit in bad terms or maybe are unsure. But I think they should say something. A blanket statement to give us at least an idea of what's happening. I am actually sure they are more affected by whatever is happening than they let show and it's normal to want to preserve themselves but for something so iconic and loved in fandom to be completely harued is so infuriating. It's really weird because Dan and Phil seem to know their fans so well and be on top of the opinions etc. all the time, seem to see and know everything but sometimes like for the radio show (or the gaming channel positioning I talked about earlier) they seem so out of the loop. Idk man.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
Amazinglyonfire
tol bean

Hello everyone.

What a glorious shiny new place I see before me!

...that's all I got. lol
hyliandeity
smol bean

that would be so cool! if you do do it crediting them seems kind of necessary in some form, otherwise there are definitely going to be some people who freak out and accuse you of stealing. even if that's kind of silly. ultimately it's up to you of course, but f you were going to credit them these are the ideas i could think of:
  • put a video on the channel quickly crediting danisnotonfirevyou1? maybe similar to the fashion that they did for their latest video, with just the text + music or whatever
  • credit them in the desc of every video (that might be kinda weird tho...)
  • or maybe just find a way to literally ask vyou1 yourself through @updatedphan and then nobody would be able to claim you were... jumping into their grave lol
i'd imagine they would say yes, it's really more of a thing to do for the phandom rather than to steal and get fame since a lot of people found those videos quite helpful. plus the vyou1 format/short summary videos of a long thing aren't exactly a them-exclusive idea, but i think it would seem right to credit them in some way :'D
yup. well, yeah.
swofro
angel bean

Hi guys, because I am a #fakephan, I need to ask. What happen with SAP? The backstory and the ending.
That is all. Thank you.
Love is forever
fancybum
senpai

Netflix and Phil sure, but has everybody already forgotten about the Making a Murderer marathon in bed with potato fries?? That was nice and somewhat confusing.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
DryCereal
koi pond

fancybum wrote:Netflix and Phil sure, but has everybody already forgotten about the Making a Murderer marathon in bed with potato fries?? That was nice and somewhat confusing.
Noooooooooope!
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
gasp
phillion/danosaur <//3

swofro wrote:Hi guys, because I am a #fakephan, I need to ask. What happen with SAP? The backstory and the ending.
That is all. Thank you.
Basically, MyDamnChannel approached Dan and Phil in 2011 and offered them the chance to make a webshow for them. (MyDamnChannel is a entertainment website and multi-channel network usually dealing with comedians and such- they worked with Grace and others too) When Dan and Phil got the offer for the Radio Show, they quit to focus on that.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote:Netflix and Phil sure, but has everybody already forgotten about the Making a Murderer marathon in bed with potato fries?? That was nice and somewhat confusing.
See, this kind of shit is why we need people still making timelines for Dan and Phil today. Not because they're prone to deletion but because they do so much subtle but noteworthy stuff that individual moments just get lost in the maelstrom of domesticity.
fancybum
senpai

gasp wrote:
swofro wrote:Hi guys, because I am a #fakephan, I need to ask. What happen with SAP? The backstory and the ending.
That is all. Thank you.
Basically, MyDamnChannel approached Dan and Phil in 2011 and offered them the chance to make a webshow for them. (MyDamnChannel is a entertainment website and multi-channel network usually dealing with comedians and such- they worked with Grace and others too) When Dan and Phil got the offer for the Radio Show, they quit to focus on that.
Wasn't it a bit more dramatic because they said there would be another season but then never came back? Or something.
alittledizzy wrote:
See, this kind of shit is why we need people still making timelines for Dan and Phil today. Not because they're prone to deletion but because they do so much subtle but noteworthy stuff that individual moments just get lost in the maelstrom of domesticity.
Maybe they keep counting on us to forget these things but WE DON'T FORGET ANYTHING
except for when we totally do, but nobody tell them that k

edit: I just noticed I called them potato fries :facepalm: Um duh. I meant sweet potato fries, details are important
Last edited by fancybum on Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
daphenaxa
blobfish

fancybum wrote:
gasp wrote:
That is all. Thank you.
Wasn't it a bit more dramatic because they said there would be another season but then never came back? Or something.
yeah it was more dramatic because they were implying it was gonna come back then NOTHING. They dropped it, never talked about it again. Like it never existed.
Dan said a bit later in a liveshow that he "one day would tell the story of SAP" implying something went down behind the scene (maybe a bit like what happened to Grace with Mydamnchannel) but never did and now they never mention it at all. They didn't even mention it in the book whereas SAP was truly the beginning and precursor of the Dan and Phil brand
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
gasp
phillion/danosaur <//3

daphenaxa wrote:
fancybum wrote:
gasp wrote:
That is all. Thank you.
yeah it was more dramatic because they were implying it was gonna come back then NOTHING. They dropped it, never talked about it again. Like it never existed.
Dan said a bit later in a liveshow that he "one day would tell the story of SAP" implying something went down behind the scene (maybe a bit like what happened to Grace with Mydamnchannel) but never did and now they never mention it at all. They didn't even mention it in the book whereas SAP was truly the beginning and precursor of the Dan and Phil brand
I always just figured the BBC forced them to drop it so it wouldn't conflict with the Radio Show- they are basically the same thing after all. But yeah. what I told you was the official story, as told by Dan here https://www.facebook.com/danisnotonfire ... 7898698481 There's obvi room for interpretation though.
Kurapika
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Considering what happened between Grace Helbig and MyDamnChannel, who knows what might have happened with SAP...
the candlelight by the crescent moon
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

gasp wrote:
daphenaxa wrote:
fancybum wrote:
gasp wrote:
That is all. Thank you.
I always just figured the BBC forced them to drop it so it wouldn't conflict with the Radio Show- they are basically the same thing after all. But yeah. what I told you was the official story, as told by Dan here https://www.facebook.com/danisnotonfire ... 7898698481 There's obvi room for interpretation though.
Dan wrote:Nowadays we're making videos on our channels, on our new gaming channel (shameless plug: http://youtube.com/danandphilgames), working on the new 'Internet Takeover' radio show, as well as planning future exciting projects and we are really passionate about all of those things.
Is this the hint about the bour that we thought they never gave?
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

sweetmm wrote:Ok guys we have hit page 35; the result of the poll is 50/50 so we will open a new poll and include daddy and mum as a choice to be fair.

Please vote

http://strawpoll.me/7228325
Loving the options so far

Regarding SAP, what they did to the channel afterwards was kind of meh - the reason the channel got so much attraction was because of Dan and ... And yes, the Grace thing was a nasty situation, but Dan and Phil kinda announced as kind of a side-project, while Grace used it more like her personal channel

Nowadays I find watching old SAP videos very boring, probably because I have heard all of the things being said there, about a million times.
BisexualShoeMarriage wrote:
Is this the hint about the bour that we thought they never gave?
As it has said many times, who knows how many projects they are doing and things they are hiding/planning?
a movie? a dog? a marriage? a kid? who knows?

[offtopic]oqua, fly on the wall emote needed[/offtopic]

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

jaej
moon room

the explanation felt a bit forced for the sake of stopping people from hating the two new SAP presenters :? mydamnchannel don't have the best history, so i don't think some issue there is unthinkable
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Evening ladies and gents. Well, mostly ladies going by the pronouns ;-)

So it's the official end of the radio show? I'm not sure how i should feel about that. Does anybody know if they ratings were good when they had the weekly show (or was it bi-weekly. I didn't watch it that frequently #fakefan)
On the one hand, it's understandable giving their tour and possible other side projects that they had to make a choice, or that the BBC made a choice for them. D&P (Deepee, DerPy. Yea i wanna call them DerPy :D) got a wealth of options really, i thought they wanted to make inroads into more conventional media but maybe i'm totally mistaken. The focus now on the tours and the book does look like a return to their 'core business'.
Something like the SAP, where they have full creative control and aren't burdened by any format, would be perfect. I want to see them grow as creative producers.

[offtopic]So what the hell happened on GG. People ask questions because a regular poster gets banned, a flood of moderators invades the sub-board and some silly rules are stickied? And now all the threads are locked, the fuck? It all smells like some weird moderator ego power trip.[/offtopic]
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly