Dan & Phil Part 40: We like the cock

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
eevee
emo goose

papierklemmen wrote:i don't think it associates him with it... he is just supporting hank green's activism. jenna marbles also replied to the tweet.
I'm not claiming it does. Absolutely, activism can happen from people in or outside of the group being advocated for. I'm looking at this from Dan's perspective as I perceive it, and Dan's never spoken up much about issues like this in the past, and is often careful as to not say anything too strong about things people get passionate about (with the slight exception of his liveshows, but even then he often isn't too controversial in what he says). Dan's never been an advocate, and shouldn't be expected to be one. I'm happy that he tweeted about this because to me, it seems out of character for him to associate himself with or talk about ANYTHING that has "LGBTQ+" in the same line of sight. This may not be the very first time, but it's still not a common occurrence for him, so every time it happens I see it as something unexpected. He's not a Tyler Oakley type, so I don't expect him to be.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Afunnyworld wrote:I don't really see why this would be a problem? I don't think parents would want their 6 year old watching complex videos about sexuality, race, politics, or religion. There is nothing wrong with those videos, but little kids may misinterpret these things or will end up confused.
It's not about six year olds though. The people affected by this are mostly teenagers (so youtube's target audience) who do want to see complex videos on sexuality and gender but can't when their parents or schools turn on restricted mode. Basically a gay fourteen year old with strict parents will not be able to watch Youtube videos by lgbtq creators now and that's a big problem.
lost686girl
living flop

thanks guys for defining edgy straight male youtuber for me. from what yall say they don't seem provocative more like benign fraternity bros lol. dan doesn't have that type of personality
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I don't know if it's just me but Dan and Phil's behavior over the last few months, combined with their slightly different behavior these last two weeks and Dans obvious stress is making me nervous. Not necessarily In a bad way but I feel like they are on the edge of a big personal change. I hope it's a positive change (and the kind of positive change depends on who you ask I guess) but it seems like they are gearing up for something
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom
Pronouns: she/her

Afunnyworld wrote:[
I don't really see why this would be a problem? I don't think parents would want their 6 year old watching complex videos about sexuality, race, politics, or religion. There is nothing wrong with those videos, but little kids may misinterpret these things or will end up confused. I do see the problem with the overly sensitive filter though, I put DnP Games on for my little brother and he was only able to view about 5/6 videos. (This happened several months ago, interesting that it seems to be only talked about now) Youtube probably could solve this problem by making a more customizable filter so that parents could have more choice over what their children could or couldn't see. The problem might also have to do with creators not tagging their videos when they are violent or inappropriate, forcing youtube to create a stronger filter.
I think it's because it's filtering out LGBT+ videos that aren't in any way sexually explicit - e.g. makeup tutorials by trans women, coming out videos etc. Those videos are suitable for children, yet it seems that the flagging system picks them up as being inappropriate based solely on their association with the LGBT+ community - which is a huge problem.
dannonfill wrote: I can't see Dan morphing into that kind of... alt-right adjacent humor though, even if he wanted to he must know he'd lose a lot of his audience because it'd be a huge tonal shift for his channel.
Yeah, neither can I. I think Dan does actually know where to draw the line and is well aware that those sorts of jokes would not go down well with his audience. Maybe it's just wishful thinking/naivety on my part but I also don't think Dan would want to to go down that path either, I think he's well aware of his position as a white man and knows that it isn't okay for him to use racist slurs etc. Maybe I'm just holding him to a high standard or refusing to acknowledge that I don't really know him at all, but I honestly believe that he is better than that and does genuinely care about marginalised communities enough to not engage in that sort of 'humour' on his channel. Whenever he talks about his political views it's obvious he's pretty left-leaning, so I doubt he'd ever go so far as to align himself closely with the youtuber darlings of the alt-right.

Also eevee I agree with you that speaking up at all about this issue is something Dan of the past would have distanced himself from, I'm proud of him too
eevee
emo goose

Birdie wrote:
Afunnyworld wrote:I don't really see why this would be a problem? I don't think parents would want their 6 year old watching complex videos about sexuality, race, politics, or religion. There is nothing wrong with those videos, but little kids may misinterpret these things or will end up confused.
It's not about six year olds though. The people affected by this are mostly teenagers (so youtube's target audience) who do want to see complex videos on sexuality and gender but can't when their parents or schools turn on restricted mode. Basically a gay fourteen year old with strict parents will not be able to watch Youtube videos by lgbtq creators now and that's a big problem.
yes, completely. under 18 just means no explicitly sexual or violent content. it doesn't mean teens need the same filtering a child under 12 might need. That's why we have more than 2 rating systems for things like movies and video games. get a grip, youtube.

not to mention that it's a parent's responsibility to monitor and choose what their small child does online, not the internet's.

edit: thanks captainspacecoat! I'm glad someone sees what i'm saying haha
Last edited by eevee on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
Laney
drama llama

cryptic_phan wrote:
captainspacecoat wrote:
lost686girl wrote:i honestly don't understand what an "edgy straight male youtuber" is supposed to be. casper lee? jim chapman? maybe i don't follow the right people to understand this genre. :confused:
Definitely not either of those two. It's moreso the crowd that make 'problematic' jokes and tend to criticise 'SJW culture' - think Pewdiepie, H3H3, I'm sure there are more but I can't think of any as I don't keep up with them. I know they're a controversial bunch and I don't want to start up drama or anything as I'm sure there are plenty of people who watch them, I just personally don't find that sort of humour funny. They tend to have large male audiences, which I guess lends them some credence in the youtube world as they definitely aren't being watched purely for their looks and youtubers with young, female audiences are often not taken seriously (as frustrating and unfair as that is).
just putting this out there but wouldn't it be easier to just create adult-like content. also i'm not trying to start anything but people won't take him seriously if he does take his production and video making seriously . i'm not talking about like sloppy editing or anything physical (ok maybe a little physical ) but like his does not cover topic they would appeal to a more "sophisticated" demographic like he wants even if he's still does want to keep the same type of videos (for example the isg videos and the skit like video (i can't think of any off the top of my head) he can just simply gear them to be less 'juvenile" and idk y he thinks he need to change his humor to be more controversial or anything like can simple just make joke that are witty and smart rather them cheap and dimensionless

just a thought
This! It seems like Dan really wants to appeal to the "edgy straight male YouTubers" (and also to the "pretentious filmmakers" sometimes) but his content isn't anything like theirs, it's neither serious nor edgy (not saying this is a bad thing ofc, he just isn't appealing to that demographic). If he wants to be liked by them so badly then he has to change his own content.
lost686girl
living flop

Amiaw wrote:I don't know if it's just me but Dan and Phil's behavior over the last few months, combined with their slightly different behavior these last two weeks and Dans obvious stress is making me nervous. Not necessarily In a bad way but I feel like they are on the edge of a big personal change. I hope it's a positive change (and the kind of positive change depends on who you ask I guess) but it seems like they are gearing up for something

marriage
/fɪl lɛstɚ/
sad dimple

Slightly off topic: Back to the Arca video, it's meaning, whether or not it's nightmarish, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed that video. It was a very thought-provoking art piece. I'm not sure exactly what it all meant but I definitely think it's about suffering in some way. Paired with the title - reverie - meaning daydream, I thought it was really haunting and cool. I think I've mentioned this before, but not much shocks me. (Except probably the human centipede. Ah.)

On the whole edgy alt-right shit, I don't think Dan could EVER shift to that kind of content because of his views. We know he's anti-Trump to a degree, pro LGBT rights, definitely not a racist, suspicious of gender roles, etc. etc. No matter how sarcastic or "edgy" his content reaches, I don't think it could ever be like typical edgy male youtubers. I can't ever imagine Dan making jokes about Hitler or racism or sexual assault. Maybe I'm naive but I just can't imagine Dan sinking to that level to chase after a certain fan-base.
I am always on Phil Lester's side
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

/fɪl lɛstɚ/ wrote: On the whole edgy alt-right shit, I don't think Dan could EVER shift to that kind of content because of his views. We know he's anti-Trump to a degree, pro LGBT rights, definitely not a racist, suspicious of gender roles, etc. etc. No matter how sarcastic or "edgy" his content reaches, I don't think it could ever be like typical edgy male youtubers. I can't ever imagine Dan making jokes about Hitler or racism or sexual assault. Maybe I'm naive but I just can't imagine Dan sinking to that level to chase after a certain fan-base.
Well, he has made rape jokes, back in the distant past. We like to think he's grown out of that, but he's proven himself capable of it.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
/fɪl lɛstɚ/
sad dimple

LeftHandedism wrote:
/fɪl lɛstɚ/ wrote: On the whole edgy alt-right shit, I don't think Dan could EVER shift to that kind of content because of his views. We know he's anti-Trump to a degree, pro LGBT rights, definitely not a racist, suspicious of gender roles, etc. etc. No matter how sarcastic or "edgy" his content reaches, I don't think it could ever be like typical edgy male youtubers. I can't ever imagine Dan making jokes about Hitler or racism or sexual assault. Maybe I'm naive but I just can't imagine Dan sinking to that level to chase after a certain fan-base.
Well, he has made rape jokes, back in the distant past. We like to think he's grown out of that, but he's proven himself capable of it.
Fair warning to anyone who is triggered/has experience trauma in some way that my post mentions rape multiple times and if that will harm you please skip over it.

You're right about the fact that he has made rape jokes. But that was in 2009 when I feel like things were a little different in terms of... awareness. I used to make jokes because it was the cool and edgy thing to do and I thought it was no big deal back then, too. I would never dream of it now. I feel like a lot of people have been educated on this issue.
If I remember correctly, I even read tweets/posts in which Phil made rape jokes in 2009. In the past four or five years, I can't recall deppy making jokes of the sort but if someone has the receipts please bring them forth because I feel like it's really important to be aware of stuff like this.
I am always on Phil Lester's side
Lionllama
first-time poster

Amiaw wrote:I don't know if it's just me but Dan and Phil's behavior over the last few months, combined with their slightly different behavior these last two weeks and Dans obvious stress is making me nervous. Not necessarily In a bad way but I feel like they are on the edge of a big personal change. I hope it's a positive change (and the kind of positive change depends on who you ask I guess) but it seems like they are gearing up for something
Hi, another lurker here coming out of lurkdom. But there's something that caught my eye in Phil's live show about presents which could do with this? At the beginning when he gets asked to try on the burger socks... he says "I'm not going to put my stinky feet in my...." pauses, laughs and then changes it to "in the present for my friend" it's about 3 mins in.

I could be reading waaaay into it! But if he was just going to say friend, why did he pause and change what he said?
zvezdochka
dank meme

It's interesting how everyone defends tween girls, all while bashing edgy boys. I say, both are equally embarrassing and problematic. I'd maybe even tolerate a sexist joke better (that's what edgy boys do all the time, right? All those comments on Dan's videos putting women down, so many of them), than someone creeping up on D&P and taking a picture without them knowing (something fans have done irl).
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

Lionllama wrote:
Hi, another lurker here coming out of lurkdom. But there's something that caught my eye in Phil's live show about presents which could do with this? At the beginning when he gets asked to try on the burger socks... he says "I'm not going to put my stinky feet in my...." pauses, laughs and then changes it to "in the present for my friend" it's about 3 mins in.

I could be reading waaaay into it! But if he was just going to say friend, why did he pause and change what he said?
You're probably reading into it too much as he even pauses slightly before he starts talking about his "stinky feet". He probably just found it funny that someone wanted him to try on something he literally stated was a gift for a friend.
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

zvezdochka wrote:It's interesting how everyone defends tween girls, all while bashing edgy boys. I say, both are equally embarrassing and problematic. I'd maybe even tolerate a sexist joke better (that's what edgy boys do all the time, right? All those comments on Dan's videos putting women down, so many of them), than someone creeping up on D&P and taking a picture without them knowing (something fans have done irl).

i think its a bit of a false equivalence to compare edgy teen boys to teen girls in terms of problematic behaviour. the former group constructs their entire identity around being edgy and anti-liberal, which makes them a lot worse than teen girls who occasionally act weirdly

i dont think anyone needs to worry about dan transforming into a hardcore edgelord youtuber like filthyfrank or idubbbz. his political stance is definitely left of centre, and has been since 2009 at least. also, i find it very hard to believe that someone who has built his career around a fairly inoffensive, child-friendly brand of 'dan and phil' will ever lurch to the right and start producing shitty shock value videos to appeal to a demographic that is either unaware of his existence or considers him part of the milquetoast youtube establishment
mio
#relatable

I think one of Dan's main problems is that on the one hand he pretty much embraces the typical tumblr left leaning, social justice views and followed the same developments that people in that sphere and especially in fandom made in the last few years (like starting to push for representation, acknowledging trans- and gender issues), which he probably HAD to do in order to not alienate his fanbase though I think it's genuine on his part as well... but on the other hand he also wants the coolness and authority on tastes in music, tv shows etc. that comes from being in the edgy straight male crowd, because he grew up on reddit and probably still has the ingrained views that this is the group that rules the internet. "There are no girls on the internet" and all. Tumblr culture is one of the first to actively challenge that view and dudebros are getting annoyed by that. Hence all the "wars" between tumblr girls and 4chan and stuff like gamergate and influential guys using "tumblr sjws" as an insult.
There are very little famous straight (or at least not openly non-straight) cis-guys who stand on the other side, so probaly Dan has problems being the one to stand up to his "peers". The only example I can think of is the Green brothers (though not without controversy themselves), so I hope Deppy will continue to associate themselves with them.

In my opinion all of this plays into a lot of the former discussions we had here, like why he wouldn't call out Felix on his bs, why all the fretting about "quality content" and male viewers, the passive-agressiveness towards well-meaning younger fans, maybe even why he won't come out publically.

And honestly Dan I wish you'd just let it go. You have the wrong fanbase, the wrong kind of content and are too "gay" to ever be accepted by that crowd anyway so please screw them and make the kind of videos you are happy with and your fans love and support you for.
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
starry nightworld
tol bean

I don't know if it's too suprising that Dan might want some male fans his own age. As he gets older he probably finds it harder to relate to girls in their early teens (don't we all). Particularly when the point of his content is talking about his life in a relatable way.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

zvezdochka wrote:It's interesting how everyone defends tween girls, all while bashing edgy boys. I say, both are equally embarrassing and problematic. I'd maybe even tolerate a sexist joke better (that's what edgy boys do all the time, right? All those comments on Dan's videos putting women down, so many of them), than someone creeping up on D&P and taking a picture without them knowing (something fans have done irl).
When were we talking about edgy tween boys? These youtubers are grown adult men, and so are much of their fanbase I'm sure.

And the reason I'm so defensive of tween/teen/all girls is because I don't think their behaviour is comparable to teen boys' in the slightest, and because girls have historically, and continue to be taken less seriously than boys, both in the context of 'fandoms' and in the wider world. Sure, there's a minority of young female viewers who act inappropriately and take pictures without dnp's consent, but that pales in comparison to the pervasive culture of sexism that exists among teen boys. That culture of sexism and humour that thrives on the belittlement of minorities (regardless of whether they say it's a joke yada yada yada) is spurred on by the 'edgy problematic' youtubers, and is far more detrimental and far-reaching than the odd girl taking a sneaky picture (not excusing that either btw).

All teenagers are embarrassing to an extent, but I think it's entirely unfair to compare the two and, to go further, excuse sexism among young boys as 'oh, that's just what they do all the time'. Girls have always got a bad wrap for being obsessive, vapid, unintelligent, and yet it's because of them that so many male stars have been given their platforms and reached mainstream success, so when I read a comment like theneedledrop's that not only erases the existence of Dan's adult and non-female fans but also implies that tween girls are inherently inferior, it makes me mad. There are always going to be a certain number of immature fans who blow things out of proportion and create drama where there is none, but it's often young girls who are some of the most supportive, intelligent, progressive people, and they deserve better.

Also I realise I'm generalising here, #notallmen blah blah blah
PolarFox
truth bomb

captainspacecoat wrote:
When were we talking about edgy tween boys? These youtubers are grown adult men, and so are much of their fanbase I'm sure.

And the reason I'm so defensive of tween/teen/all girls is because I don't think their behaviour is comparable to teen boys' in the slightest, and because girls have historically, and continue to be taken less seriously than boys, both in the context of 'fandoms' and in the wider world. Sure, there's a minority of young female viewers who act inappropriately and take pictures without dnp's consent, but that pales in comparison to the pervasive culture of sexism that exists among teen boys. That culture of sexism and humour that thrives on the belittlement of minorities (regardless of whether they say it's a joke yada yada yada) is spurred on by the 'edgy problematic' youtubers, and is far more detrimental and far-reaching than the odd girl taking a sneaky picture (not excusing that either btw).

All teenagers are embarrassing to an extent, but I think it's entirely unfair to compare the two and, to go further, excuse sexism among young boys as 'oh, that's just what they do all the time'. Girls have always got a bad wrap for being obsessive, vapid, unintelligent, and yet it's because of them that so many male stars have been given their platforms and reached mainstream success, so when I read a comment like theneedledrop's that not only erases the existence of Dan's adult and non-female fans but also implies that tween girls are inherently inferior, it makes me mad. There are always going to be a certain number of immature fans who blow things out of proportion and create drama where there is none, but it's often young girls who are some of the most supportive, intelligent, progressive people, and they deserve better.

Now i wish I had a like button here, this post^^^
If you want to read a first hand experience what that stuff does to young girls here have lil personal blurb under the spoiler:
I honestly always hated this culture of shaming young girls and their fandoms because it's not quality content if young girls or lgbtq people (that came later) like it. And as I grew up with 5 years older brother from that edgy straight guy comunity... lets just say he didn't believe I was at least bit smart until last year when he was basicaly forced to talk to me. I was 18 then. My brother thought I was dumb because I enjoyed the things that were shamed for being teen girl interests.
Thanks to that I also went through "I'm not like the other girls!!" phase at like 13-15 thanks to all this, when I'd just associate with guys and tried to associate with that male edgy people. Lets just say, I am sad because I didn't get to things I would have enjoyed much more.
Last edited by PolarFox on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
mio
#relatable

captainspacecoat wrote:

to all of this.

Let me also add that obsessive behaviour in fan culture is not at all exclusive to teen girls, some of the most troubling examples (stalking, death and rape threats to female stars, starting bully campaignes online, vandalizing after sports events etc) comes from predominately cis-male fans of something. But of course teenage girls who make mistakes in judgement on boundries and privacy are the problem...
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
malday
emo goose

I don't think Dan wants the attention of a demographic that will just call him a fa**ot and other homophobic slurs.

If he wants an audience with a more edgy sense of humor, he already has it. The teen-young adult girls that crack nihilistic, succ my fucc, choke me daddy, queen of my vagina jokes (this is also part of edgy humor but without the racism and homophobia).
This is the audience that makes Dan memes, and fanart, and gifs, and writes fanfics (and shockfics), and it's pretty self-aware of itself.

If he wants to turn away the more sensitive part of his audience that always coddles him and wonders about his mental health he could just make it more obvious he's joking.

If he wants an audience more like himself he needs to BE himself in his videos.
zvezdochka
dank meme

captainspacecoat wrote:All teenagers are embarrassing to an extent, but I think it's entirely unfair to compare the two and, to go further, excuse sexism among young boys as 'oh, that's just what they do all the time'.
I never did, I was being sarcastic. Sorry, if it didn't come through. I agree with you on "young girls deserve better", but I'll also stand by straight edgy male (I love me some George Carlin).
cherrybomb3 wrote:i think its a bit of a false equivalence to compare edgy teen boys to teen girls in terms of problematic behavior. the former group constructs their entire identity around being edgy and anti-liberal, which makes them a lot worse than teen girls who occasionally act weirdly
I just don't see how is that bothersome. Even if you demonize edgy boys to be an epitome of all things anti-liberal, they do not have any impact on the current state of the world whatsoever. Do you think these teenage groups and fandoms are breeding grounds for alt-rights? The world was fucked up long before that.
mio wrote:he grew up on reddit and probably still has the ingrained views that this is the group that rules the internet. "There are no girls on the internet" and all. Tumblr culture is one of the first to actively challenge that view and dudebros are getting annoyed by that. Hence all the "wars" between tumblr girls and 4chan and stuff like gamergate and influential guys using "tumblr sjws" as an insult.

This has very little to do with the current topic, but I have so much to say. I've never heard of "There are no girls on the internet", not on Reddit, nor on 4chan; if anything, qt3.14s are getting well praised for just existing. Also, Tumblr culture is and always has been NSFW content (surprise, it's not fandoms or SJ); majority of its searches are porn related. Also, there is no war between 4chan and Tumblr SJWs, simply because 4chan thinks very little of them and doesn't bother; it's the Tumblr SJWs who get pissed off and write lengthy posts.

malday, thanks for great post!
mio
#relatable

zvezdochka wrote: This has very little to do with the current topic, but I have so much to say. I've never heard of "There are no girls on the internet", not on Reddit, nor on 4chan; if anything, qt3.14s are getting well praised for just existing. Also, Tumblr culture is and always has been NSFW content (surprise, it's not fandoms or SJ); majority of its searches are porn related. Also, there is no war between 4chan and Tumblr SJWs, simply because 4chan thinks very little of them and doesn't bother; it's the Tumblr SJWs who get pissed off and write lengthy posts.
I'll put this under a spoiler bc off-topic and triggering stuff
Ok I'm confused mybe we have been living in some kind of alternative universe but ?? "There are no girls on the internet" and "tits or gtfo" are some of the foundations of 4chan and subconsciously also on reddit - on that one not so much in a sexist way as more like "oh, I'm always surpised when I meet a girl online I thought we were all guys here haha"

Also there have actually been "wars" between tumblr and 4chan where 4chan users tried to DDoS the servers and also spammed all the popular tags with gore, hate messages and literal videos of rape and murder. I know this is all stupid games for prebuscent boys but I as an active user on tumblr had to sit through this and see all kind of really disturbing shit because some guys can't handle the fact that there are other demographics with different opinions on the internet.
And honestly you can't compare all of this plus actual stalking and death threats to people like Anita Sarkeesian who speak up in male dominated areas to "writing lengthy posts" which literally hurts nobody.

Also what has NSFW content to do with this? NSFW content isn't problematic just because it's nsfw and a very large and vocal part of fandom has always been about smut and that's no secret.
Maybe I should have specified that I'm talking about fandom/sj side of tumblr though I feel like it's culture is also influencing other parts of the platform like aesthetics bloggers. While the most alientated part of tumblr is actually the specifically porn side - a huge part of it are bots (you know the kind that follow you randomly) or people who just realized that tumblr is a way to easily share and consume porn without any legal hassle while staying anonymous, and they mostly stay in their own circles and are seldomly there for the community at large.

Sorry for the rant but I'm obsessed with internet culture at large and how it relates to political views so yeah.
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
moaninglisa
drama llama

Lionllama wrote:

presents for his secret partner
no, i'm pretty sure he just didn't knew how to finish that sentence
apparently this friend he was talking about is wirrow as his birthday was coincidentally on march 11th (saturday, and this mysterious friend had their birthday celebration on saturday) I think it's safe to assume those presents were for him.

or maybe not
papierklemmen
flower crown

moaninglisa wrote:
Lionllama wrote:

presents for his secret partner
no, i'm pretty sure he just didn't knew how to finish that sentence
apparently this friend he was talking about is wirrow as his birthday was coincidentally on march 11th (saturday, and this mysterious friend had their birthday celebration on saturday) I think it's safe to assume those presents were for him.

or maybe not
phirrow is real