Dan & Phil Part 41: what in domestication

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff
Pronouns: she/her

I actually really liked that video. I found it hilarious, especially how awkward they were and how everyone around them must've felt.

Huh I remember seeing that Dailybooth but that seems bizarre the drama hit much later from what I can tell
:D
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd

000dia000 wrote:that was quite possible the worst video I've ever seen from them. the whole point of seeing them play club penguin was seeing them react to the world's lore, the customization, and playing actual games. Seeing them shout to themselves and call random ten year olds hoes and say "fuck", just for the lolz, and Dan knowing fully well they'd get banned, is possibly the most obnoxious thing I've ever seen.

If I was a casual phan, I would be like "wtf" and probably unsubscribe. There was absolutely no effort put into this, they were just frankly annoying, there was nothing redeemable in the slightest, and I can't be told otherwise. I unliked it, I hated it so much. This was such a wasted opportunity, I hate being that person who says "They haven't played MY game properly! You didn't do this right!" but you know what? They didn't even PLAY the game, so I have the right to bitch about how poor this was. And now the website is down, so what's the point?

TLDR: don't even watch it
I didn't really enjoy it either. I just kept thinking of all the poor little kids who were there for their last day ever, and probably kinda sad and then this obnoxious shouty guy shows up, typing way faster than any of them probably can. I agree that they put no effort into finding out how things were supposed to work.
Ah well, I'm still on a high from the April fools video so I forgive them for one crappy, low effort gaming vid. Not yet.
Sorry if I say something wrong. My first language is sarcasm. I've never really learned English
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

000dia000 wrote:that was quite possible the worst video I've ever seen from them. the whole point of seeing them play club penguin was seeing them react to the world's lore, the customization, and playing actual games. Seeing them shout to themselves and call random ten year olds hoes and say "fuck", just for the lolz, and Dan knowing fully well they'd get banned, is possibly the most obnoxious thing I've ever seen.

If I was a casual phan, I would be like "wtf" and probably unsubscribe. There was absolutely no effort put into this, they were just frankly annoying, there was nothing redeemable in the slightest, and I can't be told otherwise. I unliked it, I hated it so much. This was such a wasted opportunity, I hate being that person who says "They haven't played MY game properly! You didn't do this right!" but you know what? They didn't even PLAY the game, so I have the right to bitch about how poor this was. And now the website is down, so what's the point?

TLDR: don't even watch it
I've never played club penguin, I was old enough by the time I heard of it that I would have felt creepy to join out of curiosity, but I feel your frustration. Are Dan's social skills so poor that he actually expected anyone to respond positively to his approach? I doubt it.

I did laugh out loud several times while watching, but more out of shock than actual amusement. I don't really find it funny, especially not now hearing that there is actual lore they could have explored. Dan seemed pretty grumpy, perhaps on a different day he would have gone in with a different attitude.

I'm not sure what they were going for with this video. The thumbnail looks like it's meant to attract people who feel nostalgic for the site. I imagine anyone clicking on that as their first dapg video b/c they wanted to see some cute guys being nostalgic for a site they loved would be annoyed as Dia was. Dan's attitude was targeted to an audience he evidently already has, b/c some posters here liked it (I'm glad someone did). I'm curious about the demographics of the phandom, and how many dapg subscribers loved club penguin and not this video. Did Dan misjudge the tone? Does he not care about that sector of the audience? Was he in a bad mood and not overthinking as he usually would?
anathema
morning quiff

canvasoflife wrote:After several re-watches of the new crafts video, I've just noticed that during Phil's squeezing of the green paint bottle, he not only sprays some onto Dan's arm, he also manages to get some on his Illuminati shirt. Now that I've seen it I can't unsee it for the rest of the video and if that had been me I would have run off to go clean it asap...
I'm pretty sure they just used cheap, washable kids' paint. They also got it ALL over the table so I'm sure it wasn't a big concern, lol.

On the penguin video: okay, that kinda... sucked. The first few minutes were funny. I could've handled three minutes of them messing with the chat function. But doing that the whole video? It was boring and frankly a little weird to see two grown-ass men trolling a kids' site. As someone who played club penguin when they were younger, I wish they would have explored the game more. There were so many mini-games to play and this is what they give us? Idk, I suppose there are enough people in the phandom that grew up playing CP they thought they could get away with doing whatever on it (and based on the little amount of dislikes they seem to have gotten away with it), but I really wish they would've given us something else.
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
dontpanic
#relatable

The way Phil pronounced 'Alabama' is pure gold tbh.

I liked this video, I cringe-laughed the whole time. I was nervous about them playing it so I'm really glad they just messed around, it would have been kinda weird imo if they took this game seriously. I got hardcore nostalgia for when I was younger and a bunch of my classmates and I messed around to get all our club ping. accounts banned.

Edit: I'm pretty sure they were *intentionally* bad at making friends, right? Like, it would be really weird for a 25 and 30 year old to make a serious attempt at befriending someone in club penguin.
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

dontpanic wrote: I'm pretty sure they were *intentionally* bad at making friends, right? Like, it would be really weird for a 25 and 30 year old to make a serious attempt at befriending someone in club penguin.
That was my assumption, yeah. People totally not my friends and I when we were younger did the same thing on like Gaia Online or Neopets.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I laughed at that video, but it probably helped that I had no idea what Club Penguin was, and no association with it really being genuinely for children or associated with childhood in any way.
pilotlight wrote:
dontpanic wrote: I'm pretty sure they were *intentionally* bad at making friends, right? Like, it would be really weird for a 25 and 30 year old to make a serious attempt at befriending someone in club penguin.
That was my assumption, yeah. People totally not my friends and I when we were younger did the same thing on like Gaia Online or Neopets.
I also took it as intentional. To do so sincerely would have been far creepier, imo.
malday
emo goose

They obviously went in to troll and get banned to make it funny. It would have been more cringey if they tried to do it properly.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

malday wrote:They obviously went in to troll and get banned to make it funny. It would have been more cringey if they tried to do it properly.
Agreed. I personally found the video kind of boring and repetitive, but I think that's more to do with me than the video itself - it just wasn't my thing. I'm not offended though by the way they acted - I used to play Club Penguin when I was like 10-12 (so at least 9 years ago) and as far as I recall everybody tried to be edgy and say words that could get them banned, including the young kids. There are forums on CP that have pre-programmed phrases instead of the option to type words yourself, which are supposed to minimise the exposure of kids to inappropriate language. But on the forums dnp were on it's quite common for people to say rude words or to not take things seriously, so I wouldn't worry about the kids. I'm sure they're mostly used to it, or in on it themselves.

I do agree in a way with dia though that it would have been a more entertaining video if they'd mixed things up a bit and played some of the mini games. I just felt like nothing really happened as almost no one engaged with them, so I think it would have benefited from a bit more exploration of the game. Having said that though, it is just Club Penguin so I wasn't really expecting something incredible, and given that neither of them seemed particularly attached to CP on a nostalgic level it would be unfair of me to expect them to play it fondly. 6/10 from me!
secretagentphan
procrastinator

/fɪl lɛstɚ/ wrote:
secretagentphan wrote:Okay I was not expecting much with the new Dan and Phil crafts video but that was SO GOOD. I live for twisted shit like this lmao. The whole thing was SO David Lynch to the point where I'd be shocked if it wasn't lowkey inspired by the style of his movies (but obviously in a more funny way hahaha!) I'd actually be surprised in general if Phil didn't know/like him since he's super into horror and they have a very similar brand of "weird" (I'm talking about Phils darker weird stuff in the past more than his usual weird stuff, which I also love)
So funny that you mention David Lynch because I was thinking the exact same thing! I'm currently watching Twin Peaks and the backwards "protip" reminded me so much of the backwards speaking in Agent Cooper's dream. [If you've seen Twin Peaks you'll know what I mean. If not then basically a character has a dream in which people speak backwards and then its played backwards to sound like real words. Creepy stuff.]
Tonight I watched a couple of particularly frightening episodes and I kept telling myself "I could handle this kind of stuff when Dan and Phil did it, so I can handle it now!!"

I think part of the reason why there's a David Lynch vibe is because of the acting. I feel like David Lynch purposefully shows bad acting in order to make the audience unsettled. Phil has probably gotten some inspiration from that. I could plop Phil right into Mulholland Drive and no one would even notice the difference
I know this is really old by now but I just finished twin peaks so that's exactly what I meant!! (Agent Cooper is such a babe). But the weird loud noises as transitions and creepily unnatural acting also reminded me of his horror films. (If you wanna be a nerd with me and talk about Lynch in the private messages please do because no one I know watches him so I'm lonely lol)
karma_yeah
philussy

I feel like a bad person. I thought the video was funny and immediately watched it again.

But, I'm older and have never heard of CP. It would be interesting to see if the people who didn't like it, played played CP, because I think if I had played, I'd probably have been offended. Especially if I had fond memories!

But I don't have an attachment to the game and do have an attachment to . Watching Dan descend into madness was hilarious to me. And poor Phil trying to get him to chill, but to no avail. I felt like it was a bit of an insight into their approaches to things. Dan seemed impatient, impulsive and easily offended. We don't know how long they played to edit it down to 18 minutes, so there may have been other "no, I don't want to be your friend" incidents. Then when hurt that no one would be his friend, he lashed out and like he said, burned the place down.

I also thought it was interesting when they went to the person's igloo and someone else showed up and they immediately assumed the person (penguin) was there to be the other person's friend or to steal them.

I'm sure a) it was exaggerated for comedic effect, and b) knowing it was the last day, being banned was of no consequence. So Dan just went for it.

It would be interesting to have Dan critique his behavior in an ISG. I think he'd give someone else very different advice about trying to make friends.

I'm convinced it was totally for comedic effect, and sincerely hope no one's childhood was destroyed.
What goes around, comes around Image
onetruetrash
blobfish

I absolutely loved this video! The crafts video and this one are my favorite things they've done this year!

Apparently a lot people on here didn't like it. It was definitely a nostalgic game for kids around my age, at least in America. Honestly, them fucking around was the funniest way could have gone about it. If they tried to play it seriously, it would get really boring. They'd just be going around playing short mini games that would be boring to watch just to get items. It would've been horrible, trust me.

I was dying of laughter throughout the whole thing! I'm surprised they didn't get banned sooner than they did.
karma_yeah
philussy

Potato Prints has over 1,165,770 views already
What goes around, comes around Image
kalli
butt chair

If anyone is worried about there actually being kids on the site, Club Penguin was practically desolate before it was announced that the website was shutting down. Chances are the vast majority (if not all) of people they were interacting with were not children, but people in their late teens and early twenties who played it as kids and wanted to pay it one last visit before it was gone for good.

I was definitely one to play CP for the mini games, but I know a lot of people who played it just to see how far they could push it until they got banned. Personally, I would have found it more enjoyable to see them play Cart Surfer, Sled Racing or something to capture the mini game side too, but I was prepared for them to play it in whatever way Dan remembered it, so I still enjoyed the video. Not one of my favourites, but decent :thumb:
thephandommenace wrote: Speaking of Dan's mum's name never being mentioned, how did people find out Dan's younger brother's name? Or that he even had a younger brother? I wasn't present when shit hit the fan.
As a couple other people have said, Dan mentioned his brother a couple times between DailyBooth and Twitter back in the day, but I don't think he ever shared his brother's name. I had only been watching Deppy for about half a year when his brother's tumblr url got passed around so his name may have been shared before then and I missed it, but as far as I'm aware, that's how most people first found out his name. I'm pretty sure that marked the existence of his brother becoming common knowledge too.

Speaking of that whole ordeal, I feel like I have a good idea of how it played out but I've always wondered how people even found his tumblr in the first place, since he didn't have anything on there to make him easily searchable as far as I saw. I always assumed someone in the phandom simply stumbled across his blog, made the connection because they look alike and didn't think before sharing it (with his brother confirming it by answering a few of the asks he was sent), but I'm not sure if there's actually anything to back that up or not. Kind of a pointless discussion since it was 4 years ago, but if anyone happens to know how it was found, feel free to quench my curiosity
uglyamerican
woodland creature

I'm not sure it was posted yet or not, but I'm going to central Florida tomorrow for an airshow, and I'll be spending a few days in Orlando on the backside. Anyway, I *casually* wandered over to the Playlist website to see what hotels are hosting the event and saw this:

https://ticketspin.com/pll-kickoff-2017

(I am planning on taking a pilgrimage to Gatorland, because why not? Another item to check off the bucketlist.)
Last edited by uglyamerican on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
helvetica
sofa crease

I liked the new vid, tbh that's what I did when I went on those sites, though not to those extremes lol. Maybe there's some super interesting club penguin lore out there but I don't think that deppy had enough time to delve that deep, considering it was the last day.

I also didn't like the ho comment, so I understand where ppl are coming from.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Ugh. I typed up a whole post and it got eaten. But the point of it was that I just really loved the new DAPG vid. It genuinely made me laugh out loud a few times. Granted, I was always more of a Neopets/Gaia kid, so these Penguins weren't really my jam and this didn't offend my childhood nostalgia.

I think this video is a prime example of what others were saying about the last AP vid and it being off-putting. In videos like this, he's just so much more relaxed. He was such a star throughout the whole Club Penguin thing. He was happy and laughing and in some cases it almost felt like he didn't even realize they were filming. ("Baka!!" at 13:05 comes to mind.) I also really enjoyed seeing him take over the keyboard for a while.

I feel like I've just had a very Phil-trash weekend tbh.

In other news, I've been pondering the last live-show a bit and without rambling too much... I'm kinda sad at how quickly Dan went from being anal about no one ever seen him with curly hair to calling his former hair-straightening self a "flat rat", like????? Love yourself more, bud.
lost686girl
living flop

sometimes i think dan plays up the self depreciation because he IS aware of how attractive he is. he has always been attractive and while it's not the leading factor, it probably helps with his viewership. maybe that makes him uncomfortable.

idk. i've always found him very cute/hot
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

Club Penguin was my favourite website when I was eight. I stopped going on when I was about 12, but when my old penguin was deleted by the game eventually (probs for being inactive), I was still a bit sad about it, because it was such a big part of my childhood. However, the gameplay has changed so much since 2010 that if I had played on the final day, I would've struggled just as much as deppy did! :D

It was a fun video to me. Nothing spectacular, maybe, but I am just a person who watches deppy because they are funny and make me happy (this is just me btw, I know IDB is full of deep analysis which I really enjoy, it's just not what I tend to gravitate towards), and this video did the job. I was outright laughing at some points. Dan types so fast that I'm not sure many people would have been able to read what he put in the chat box, even if they were probably all nostalgic/shitposting 20-year-olds. But his rapid descent into madness, along with Phil's ridiculous comments (I've got kippers in my pocket!) made me giggle.

I do wish they'd played some minigames, though, since I feel like they didn't get into much gameplay. Watching them do the frustrating puffle roundup or cart surfing or catching coffee bean bags or underwater adventure (I forgot what it's actually called) or pizzatron would have been entertaining to me. (But now I feel silly for bringing gameplay up on a video about Club Penguin of all things!)

Tl;dr - this video was a giant shitpost but it still made me laugh.
azara
phillion/danosaur <//3

I haven't seen the new video yet. I loved Club Penguin, and I'm super sad that it's gone, so from the above reviews I may skip this video. It would also be a bit weird for the D&P part of my life to intersect with my childhood

On the subject of physical attractiveness: something that I've noticed lately is the large number of comments underneath Phil's videos talking about how attractive he is. Which would be fine, except that lots of them are obviously being written by young teenage girls. Phil just turned 30. I get that he's not hard to look at, but commenting things like "HAVE MY BABIES" and "PHIL IS ON FIRE" seems inappropriate to me, given the large age gap. It can make me feel quite uncomfortable.

Dan (between 2009 and 2013ish) was very attractive to a young 15 year old azara, discovering boys for the first time, but both he and Phil have obviously matured a lot lookswise. I no longer find them attractive in that way - although of course they're still quite good-looking just in general.

Anyway, what do you guys think about this? Am I just being too prude, or do you agree that it's somewhat inappropriate?
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Young girls often like older guys in bands, actors etc. The age gap is often smaller in a young band, but it's kinda just life in my experience. The girls' comments being about sex, they're teenagers with a lot of passion and stuff going on. Everyone wants them to like stuff and buy it, if the companies in this world want their money, they don't mind ramping that up at the expense of kids staying kids longer. I'm not sure that happens for that long even so, kids grow up pretty fast.
JustMe
living flop
Pronouns: She/her

I really hope they record this, though I won't hold on to too much hope

On new vid; it was okay but not that entertaining to me.

Also, did anybody else notice they seem to be wearing earpieces in this picture?
alittledizzy wrote:
Why would they be wearing them just to meet the ceo? Or am I missing something?
~ I'll be bold as well as strong and use my head alongside my heart ~
gnostic
stress mushroom

azara wrote:I haven't seen the new video yet. I loved Club Penguin, and I'm super sad that it's gone, so from the above reviews I may skip this video. It would also be a bit weird for the D&P part of my life to intersect with my childhood

On the subject of physical attractiveness: something that I've noticed lately is the large number of comments underneath Phil's videos talking about how attractive he is. Which would be fine, except that lots of them are obviously being written by young teenage girls. Phil just turned 30. I get that he's not hard to look at, but commenting things like "HAVE MY BABIES" and "PHIL IS ON FIRE" seems inappropriate to me, given the large age gap. It can make me feel quite uncomfortable.

Dan (between 2009 and 2013ish) was very attractive to a young 15 year old azara, discovering boys for the first time, but both he and Phil have obviously matured a lot lookswise. I no longer find them attractive in that way - although of course they're still quite good-looking just in general.

Anyway, what do you guys think about this? Am I just being too prude, or do you agree that it's somewhat inappropriate?
Eh, teenagers gonna teenage. I think as we get older (even as early as our early 20s) we tend to forget that most teenagers are inherently sexual beings undergoing a hormone explosion in their bodies.

I understand this may feel a bit more weird than teenage girls drooling over band members or actors because of perceived more close and personal contact between youtuber and his audience, but I don't think there's anything inappropriate so long as there isn't a response to this kind of comments from the youtuber himself. Which, I think we can safely assume there isn't gonna be one
Just here for the marketing skills
iero
phabergé

azara wrote:

i think it's normal to crush on an older public figure. as a young teen i used to crush on 30-40 year olds and i never thought about it because it's just a crush the problem comes if it's reciprocated.
DryCereal
koi pond

First time I heard of CP was when it was announced it was getting shut down, hence my not GAF about the video in advance.

Never been so bored, or tempted to give up watching one of their videos as I was with this one. And Id say I've never been so uncomfortable watching one... (but thanks to Dan's diss track that wouldn't strictly be true.)

There's just something downright wrong with a pair of adults cruising a kids chat/game site "looking to make a friend" that just squicked me right the hell out. Still does, and their behaviour whilst doing so didn't help matters.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted: