Dan & Phil Part 41: what in domestication

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
uglyamerican
woodland creature

IDK why you some of you guys are titillated by the idea of Dan and (possibly) Phil walking around their flat in their underwear. Guys do it all the time, particularly when it's hot. Sweatpants (are essentially long underwear) in the winter; boxers in the warmer months. NBD.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

uglyamerican wrote:IDK why you some of you guys are titillated by the idea of Dan and (possibly) Phil walking around their flat in their underwear. Guys do it all the time, particularly when it's hot. Sweatpants (are essentially long underwear) in the winter; boxers in the warmer months. NBD.
The point I was trying to make is that it's less about what they're doing and more about their willingness to admit to doing (often very mundane or normal) things together - because that comfort from them with us (not between each other; with us) is new. Two, three, four years ago they wouldn't have come anywhere near admitting such a thing, they cared too much about how it might be perceived. Them relaxing those self-imposed restrictions is definitely titillating to me.
onetruetrash
blobfish

alittledizzy wrote:
uglyamerican wrote:IDK why you some of you guys are titillated by the idea of Dan and (possibly) Phil walking around their flat in their underwear. Guys do it all the time, particularly when it's hot. Sweatpants (are essentially long underwear) in the winter; boxers in the warmer months. NBD.
The point I was trying to make is that it's less about what they're doing and more about their willingness to admit to doing (often very mundane or normal) things together - because that comfort from them with us (not between each other; with us) is new. Two, three, four years ago they wouldn't have come anywhere near admitting such a thing, they cared too much about how it might be perceived. Them relaxing those self-imposed restrictions is definitely titillating to me.
Yeah, 2012 Dan Howell would never admit that. It makes me happy to see how much more comfortable he's become.
lishachi
eclipse shirt

emerald wrote:
lishachi wrote:Slightly off topic for a sec: new games that have came out fairly recently and are really cool; Night In The Woods, OneShot, Oxenfree, I love these kinds of games and I know they probably will never be on DAPG, but I can dream. Did Undertale knock the long-ish lets plays from their channel? Perhaps. (Aside from Dil, who I'm sure is going to age into an Elder soon right? Or are they planning to have another child, I swear I've seen/heard that mentioned, if not ignore me I'm pretty sick and could be imagining it all.) (Secretly wondering what their reactions will be/how the story will go when Dil becomes old, BUT I am more excited for what Dab will look like grown up. Age him up already!! :D )

[...]

tl;dr - DAPG hoping for series may not happen, whats happening with dil
Oh my god. I would so love for Deppy to play an actual, not-flash/browser game which isn't the Sims. Even the Sims is pretty... you know, ~casual~. I'd love for them to sit down and do a series on a long game with actual purpose behind it *cough* Life Is Strange *cough* which seems to have died with Undertale. They said that they didn't want series and wanted game suggestions which were like one-episode games? Ugh. The only gaming channels I watch (other than Deppy) do series and occasional one-episode things, but pretty much are series-based. I wish Deppy would just do more series on the gaming channel and not... the fucking... Impossible Quiz... WHICH ISN'T EVEN A FUCKING GAME! Sorry if I sound unnecessarily mad, but it just irritates me that, despite Deppy clearly liking video games, they seem to think that we'd prefer to watch them goof around in Club Penguin than actually committing to a video game.

Recently I got around to finishing Dan's Pokémon video (before I couldn't finish it out of boredom tbh) and honestly, that was so much better than the bland, tasteless stuff they've been pumping out lately. I like watching people talk about things they're passionate about, and Dan clearly has a genuine interest in Pokémon. You can compare how they talked about Undertale versus how they talked about, I dunno, Google Feud. Actual interest is so important to making something enjoyable. Even in the Mark of Oxin, Deppy clearly were interested in RPGs and therefore it made for an enjoyable duology (on top of the fact that it was Phil's game, obviously).

Dil, who I'm sure is going to age into an Elder soon right?

Pretty sure that they've turned off aging. I have my Sims 4 gameplay settings to long lifespans and even with that I'm fairly certain that Dil would have aged by now. I wonder if they'll end the Sims series when Dil dies or if they'll continue with Dab. I hope they end it, honestly; the game gets really, really repetitive after a few generations unless if you pay ridiculous amounts of money for expansion/game/stuff packs.
Quotes under spoiler - quoting emerald else this would be a long ass post.

Life is Strange is a wonderful game. Pretty long, it does seem like after Undertale finished they were pretty much done. I don't know if they've said anything definitive about really long let's plays, but as the recent videos would suggest it's either Sims or one-offs (excluding My Horse Prince - who knows what's happening with that.)

Are they in control of the ages then? They've aged up Tabitha before, and obviously Dab, does that mean that the natural lifespan is just on infinite or something? I mean, fair enough they want to be in control, but when are they going to decide that Dil and Tabitha have 'done' adulthood? When Dab is a Teen/Young Adult? Perhaps they'll kill them off and make Dab live in the house and start over. I can see it now, Episode 105... we're all dying... Dan and Phil are 84... (joking, but I am interested to see where it all goes, it's inevitable that it will end at some point and they seemed to plan the wedding and the baby out, so i'm unrealistically trying to guess to entertain myself. I'll stop now.)

DAPG in general though, I have to say I enjoy that channel more than their main channels. I just really like games and I like them as people and I like seeing them have fun and play interesting things. I totally understand that some games they want to play on their own like Breath of the Wild etc. I hope they play more Golf with Friends and other games like that, it's nice to watch and worked really well imo.

Side Note: Club Penguin video has 1 million views. Well, shit, that was fast.
:biflag: :blackheart:
bluewho
truth bomb

I don't think it's about being 'titillated', more just recognising a positive step. Even if it is not a sign of being in a relationship and they are just two bros hanging out in their underwear, they previously would not have admitted it and would have lied about it because they were so terrified of things being seen as phan proof. It's just nice to see them be more open about how close they are without worrying how it may be interpreted.

I do think it's no big deal, I am just happy they also now see it as no big deal to share that with us.
starry nightworld
tol bean

I remember back to my house sharing days and it was a bigger deal if anyone actually bothered to put on pants lol. My male housemates always walked around in boxers up until it was absolutely necessary to go out.
obliviongrace
*editing tips*

bluewho wrote: I don't think it's about being 'titillated', more just recognising a positive step. Even if it is not a sign of being in a relationship and they are just two bros hanging out in their underwear, they previously would not have admitted it and would have lied about it because they were so terrified of things being seen as phan proof. It's just nice to see them be more open about how close they are without worrying how it may be interpreted.

I do think it's no big deal, I am just happy they also now see it as no big deal to share that with us.
Yes, exactly this! And as dizzy said as well, its this increased openness and lack of concern with how things might be interpreted that is so interesting to me. I also agree that it seems to be a sort of long term plan they have to make viewers more comfortable with them presenting a lot of their interactions as they actually are. That is so interesting to me because it suggests they feel a sort of security and confidence with their lives now that they didn't before (the "2012" era, you could say, though I struggle with that generalization), hence why they were so keen on keeping so many things behind closed doors.
eevee
emo goose

I enjoyed the quiz video but I do feel like it was still pretty heavy on his dinof persona. Especially when he went through the body part quiz and reacted to the crotch result, did he forget we all saw Phils video? We know you knew about that, Dan.

I see what you guys mean about lowering the quality bar but is "getting drunk" and "giving advice" a higher quality standard than this? I don't think so at all.

Also who's gonna be the first youtuber to upload "TAKING BUZZFEED QUIZZES ABOUT ME?!" and call it a tag? any guesses?
alittledizzy wrote:The point I was trying to make is that it's less about what they're doing and more about their willingness to admit to doing (often very mundane or normal) things together - because that comfort from them with us (not between each other; with us) is new. Two, three, four years ago they wouldn't have come anywhere near admitting such a thing, they cared too much about how it might be perceived. Them relaxing those self-imposed restrictions is definitely titillating to me.
yes same

I also think that it's a nice sign of appearance/body confidence from Dan, similar to the curly hair.

as for the club penguin video i'm so thankful for it because club penguin was a huge part of my life when i was younger hahaha
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I don't have much to say about this video outside of the fact that I loved it and I hope it's a sign of more videos on dinof that lack..... integrity.

I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned Dan's comment on the Would Dan Howell Date You? quiz: "Wow. This is gonna make a lot of reaching assumptions about my personality and what I like." Like.... I'm gonna reach a bit here, but wouldn't every quiz be making assumptions? In that case, what's so different about this one? Y'all can take it from here...

On a weird note, I like to rate Dan's level of distress by how red his cheek turns and, whilst we all judge him for overacting a bit, I'm thinking that dating quiz was genuinely a bit much for him to handle. Someone give the guy a hug.
trashqueen wrote:
other than that i find the quizzes he chose and the way he chose to react to them very interesting, and by that i meant that he had no issue reacting negatively to things that may upset part of his audience bc it's things that some of them do, like the cringy imagine quiz, cry or craft, llamas, and so on, i felt like this weird choice of video might have something to do with Dan's problem with his audience (aka the fixation with the three male viewers he has and all that shit we've already discussed and that obviously relates to the topic i talked above), as i said before, i don't think dan genuinely wants the edgelord 12 yo boys audience, i think he want the validation he could get if he had any other audience that isn't teen girls, and the shit he reacted negatively to is also genuinely cringe af to anyone over the age of 16, what i mean by that is that i don't think he's just trying to get rid of teen girls from his audience, he obviously genuinely finds it cringe, bc it fucking is, but i feel like this could be an attempt to stop his audience from doing these things he dislikes and start being a little bit more like the audience he wants to have, and if that's in any way close to reality then its fucking hilarious that he's doing it through a react video to quizzes about himself
This got me thinking that perhaps he's trying to go for a slower build-up to changing his username eventually. The start of which involves commenting relentlessly on his cringy past and how much he wants it gone. Hm...
alittledizzy wrote:
This very thing exactly is what's warming the dark cockles of my heart this 2017.
nihilist-toothpaste
drama llama

count me squarely in the camp of people who were pleasantly surprised by how much they loved this video. i felt like this was some of the most natural, unforced reacting/performing that dan has put on his channel in a long time, and i think that alone made me automatically feel happy to be watching it, despite the intense cringing i was doing nearly the whole time (cringing counts as an emotion right??? ? which means that this is one of the first videos in months and months on dinof that actually made me feel something lol). as someone who more recently joined this fandom (and discovered internet fandoms in general) around 2 years ago, i guess i missed the boat on people making quizzes like this about their favs ... i've never seen them ... i was not prepared ... my neck still hurts. i rly thought the cringing dan was doing was genuine because as commonplace as this quiz phenomenon might be, and as desensitized as he probably is to people sexualizing/objectifying him (a nod to the discussion that was happening before the video dropped,) it's still probably wholly unsettling to be confronted with it so bluntly. if anything, the pained attempts at stating that he still feels shocked that anyone could find him interesting enough to make a quiz about him (and appreciation for the support repeated again in the outro,) felt like the overdone, sort of fake aspects of this vid, but i rly do applaud him for doing that, and trying to make sure that no one came out of this video with hurt feelings. that's a level of caring i wouldn't necessarily have expected of dan.

in an effort to not repeat everything everyone's already said in naming standout moments, i'll try to be brief: i loved the sketch about "fantasy dan." i loved the aggressive phil bants and the fact that he clearly kept thinking about phil long after he'd left the room. i loved the "we're both night owls" correction. i loved his severe discomfort with imagining a fan imagining him on a date, on so many levels. while it's totally any fan's right to make a harmless quiz like that, it's totally dan's right to show that it makes him uncomfortable in a relatively gentle way and i just loved how he handled it. i loved the attempt at positivity about his curls (a break with what he's been saying in live shows? that he's embracing the curls bc they're trendy rn? i'm still all-round confused with what his actual motivation is here, wrt the hair change). i loved that he called out his own cringey past (llamas, placenta, v posed selfie, sexy endscreen dance) with relatively good humor, and relatively few violently self-deprecating remarks (like, no mentions of wanting death the whole video! wow! i'm refreshed!) (i'm so sorry nothing about this post is brief, idk how to be brief)

also rizzo i'm .. so with you on that interpretation of his reaction to the dating quiz and his callout of assumptions about "what he likes," as well as the notion that reacting to embarrassing elements of his past might be part of a slow buildup to changing his user. good thoughts!

and coffeepenguin, i can't totally see what you mean by new art in the background from your screenshot, but i assume it's that blue one on the right? if so, that's a painting dan has always had above that dresser. it's another one by wirrow. it's just usually not visible in his videos based on how he angles his camera. you can see it in this behind the scenes shot from tabinof tho:

[tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/AOs ... 3997842519" data-did="6a0e9eee4b0df50735bbdf4f9df90566033c8cbe">[/tumblr]
internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

I feel like I'm coming in as a bit of a downer here but I have to say I didn't really like the video. It's great to see another upload so quickly and nice that the idea survived without being overthought to death - if we're lucky this'll be the start of a trend and we'll see a few more making it through, though Dan has done similar videos before (Reacting to Childhood Videos) without it seeming to hold long term - but none as close to other videos, so! hope! I wonder if the sketch - also something I liked! - kind of helped him feel it was more worthwhile? idk. After reading here I can also appreciate than he did seem pretty calm and natural/not overacted compared to what the video could be, but I just didn't love the concept. I'm probably taking it too seriously but I'm not a fan of a video just mocking younger/newer viewers.

Are these quizzes cringeworthy? Sure. But - unless as trashqueen said this is a way of discouraging this behaviour - I don't really see the point of just mocking an entire section/stage of viewers. Unlike nihilist-toothpaste I actually didn't like the little appreciation moment at the end (though I can accept and appreciate his good intentions) - you've spent an entire video laughing at/clearly being embarrassed by this stuff, going 'aw no I actually really appreciate you' doesn't change that. I almost might have liked it more without that, because then it does fit more with the idea that he might be going 'please actually stop this', which of course - something he's fully entitled to do! This content is about him and widely shared and he is obviously totally free to express how he feels about it, especially the dating quiz which puts him in a romanticised situation. I don't mean to suggest that he shouldn't have made it in any way, just share my viewpoint - which was that it made me uncomfortable, and I question what exactly the point was if he's not going to stick to his guns. (Possibly the point was to make people a bit uncomfortable, in which case - success!) (edit: also of course the point is to entertain, which clearly he has done for the large majority! that it didn't work for me is my problem, sharing b/c I wonder just how out of step/uncharitable I am being!)

Partially I think it's association with 'I Will Go Down With This Ship' - basically mocking fic and fic writers and then going 'aw no you guys are cool really, do what you like, I appreciate this!', while it's clearly untrue. (full disclaimer I had not watched that video more than maybe three times, and not recently) Which again, totally fair reaction! But at that stage of fandom everything was locked down, he had to actively go into a locked lj community to find and mock that fic, and all fic was being removed if the YTers said they didn't want people writing fic about them, so it just all felt super unnecessary and kinda rude. Just to reiterate though - he's obviously totally free to do this, if he's trying to send a message I have no issue with that b/c we do reflect on him and it's good to see him aware of and trying to lead that. I liked aspects of it, it just rubbed me the wrong way

(aaaand now I'm late for work, this is why I haven't been contributing in forever, hope this makes sense as is!)
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

nihilist-toothpaste wrote:and coffeepenguin, i can't totally see what you mean by new art in the background from your screenshot, but i assume it's that blue one on the right? if so, that's a painting dan has always had above that dresser. it's another one by wirrow. it's just usually not visible in his videos based on how he angles his camera. you can see it in this behind the scenes shot from tabinof tho:

[tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/AOs ... 3997842519" data-did="6a0e9eee4b0df50735bbdf4f9df90566033c8cbe">[/tumblr]
Thank you, that's what I meant, I don't know how I missed it, I own the damn book #fakefan although, I just checked and I can't find the photo? Doesn't matter anyway, at least now I know what it is, thanks!
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I really liked the video! I was surprised tbh, because I was reluctant to watch it due to potential cringe/the fear that Dan would come across as condescending. I actually didn't think he did, which was nice, as I'm quite sensitive to that and this video could have potentially been very off-putting to me. It wasn't though, I thought it was genuinely a really fun video - silly, light-hearted, snappy editing, clever/unique sketch etc. Not groundbreaking, but proof that Dan can find a nice middle ground between his unattainable 'quality threshold' and videos he deems beneath him - a solid 8/10 from me.

internetakeover your post was really interesting! Don't worry about coming off as a downer, your opinion is completely valid and it's great to get different perspectives - I like that it forces me to reevaluate my own position. I see where you're coming from tbh - I feel the same way about the tumblr tag videos and desperately hope they never make another one as I can't stand the thought of them mocking people's art, and how disappointed and upset the artists must be to have their work derided like that, however jokingly, by people they admire.

In this case though, I didn't feel that it was that cutting I guess? I think that because many of the quizzes were from We The Unicorns (so, I presume were written by an adult non-fan of dnp trying to be down with the kids) I felt that he was mostly mocking the cringiness of his own branding and how that's manifested in parts of the fandom, which feels fair enough and understandable. The one that was definitely written by a fan (the 'Dating Dan' quiz from 2013) I guess would be the main exception, but the fact that it was written so long ago means that she's older now and would likely laugh at how cringy the quiz is herself (that may be too presumptuous of me, but the quiz is undeniably embarrassing and I don't think there was any way for Dan to react to that but cringe tbh). I don't know, I feel like I'm not articulating myself well but his reactions didn't come across as hurtful to me necessarily, more as derisive/regretful of his own fuelling of that cringy branding in the past.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I was surprised when I saw that Dan posted a new video (mostly because sometimes I forget they both have other channels besides DAPG :gg: ) and even more surprised when I saw what the video was about.
And god, I really enjoyed it! It was really funny and light - I love when Dan drops his danisnotonfire persona even just a little, and is just Dan. He's great at reacting to things, it's not a coincidence that my favorite videos of his are him reacting to his old videos, his old website, etc.
Special mention to the Phil bit, it was hilarious. are masters at banting, when Dan yelled "still listening, you bitch???" I cracked up so hard. #relationshipgoals
alittledizzy wrote:
Yes, this. I feel like D&P are trying to normalize those things on camera - walking around in their underwear and being very obvious about it - not only on their youtube channels but in the ls too - and not caring about what people might think; being in each other's videos without the whole "he's my friend and he's because blah blah blah" introduction beforehand (the new dan video is an example of this, but also think about the Monster Pops video, when Dan didn't introduce Phil, he was just there, as if it should be obvious who he is by now..and I agree tbh).

Yeah, they may be small things but they're very important because they used to be very closed off in the past to the point it was becoming absurd. I think it's very refreshing they're getting more comfortable and I'm living for it.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
bluewho
truth bomb

rizzo wrote:I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned Dan's comment on the Would Dan Howell Date You? quiz: "Wow. This is gonna make a lot of reaching assumptions about my personality and what I like." Like.... I'm gonna reach a bit here, but wouldn't every quiz be making assumptions? In that case, what's so different about this one? Y'all can take it from here...

On a weird note, I like to rate Dan's level of distress by how red his cheek turns and, whilst we all judge him for overacting a bit, I'm thinking that dating quiz was genuinely a bit much for him to handle. Someone give the guy a hug.
The quiz is particularly cringey from the word go, one of the answers is literally 'OMFG IT'S DAN HE'S SO PERF DAN CAN I KIDNAP YOU YOU CAN SLEEP IN MY BED', I think that would make anyone cringe spectacularly, particularly when they are the subject of that kind of sentence. Dan has always said along the lines of 'I don't want to know about it', it's too embarrassing for him to think about. And here he is forced to confront it so of course he's going to be uncomfortable. But I didn't see any kind of disapproval or discouragement of the phandom making those kind of quizzes, in fact he said he appreciates it, but that doesn't mean he can't/won't be embarrassed when he finds it.

What was different about the quiz was that it was based on the premise that Dan would date a girl which is something he hasn't done for seven odd years maybe it's just a bit too remote

captainspacecoat wrote:In this case though, I didn't feel that it was that cutting I guess? I think that because many of the quizzes were from We The Unicorns (so, I presume were written by an adult non-fan of dnp trying to be down with the kids) I felt that he was mostly mocking the cringiness of his own branding and how that's manifested in parts of the fandom, which feels fair enough and understandable. The one that was definitely written by a fan (the 'Dating Dan' quiz from 2013) I guess would be the main exception, but the fact that it was written so long ago means that she's older now and would likely laugh at how cringy the quiz is herself (that may be too presumptuous of me, but the quiz is undeniably embarrassing and I don't think there was any way for Dan to react to that but cringe tbh). I don't know, I feel like I'm not articulating myself well but his reactions didn't come across as hurtful to me necessarily, more as derisive/regretful of his own fuelling of that cringy branding in the past.
houseplant
squish

is it just me or is phil becoming firmer around the chest and arms area? i wonder if he's found a new gym or has kept up his running...
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

bluewho wrote:
rizzo wrote:I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned Dan's comment on the Would Dan Howell Date You? quiz: "Wow. This is gonna make a lot of reaching assumptions about my personality and what I like." Like.... I'm gonna reach a bit here, but wouldn't every quiz be making assumptions? In that case, what's so different about this one? Y'all can take it from here...

The quiz is particularly cringey from the word go, one of the answers is literally 'OMFG IT'S DAN HE'S SO PERF DAN CAN I KIDNAP YOU YOU CAN SLEEP IN MY BED', I think that would make anyone cringe spectacularly, particularly when they are the subject of that kind of sentence. Dan has always said along the lines of 'I don't want to know about it', it's too embarrassing for him to think about. And here he is forced to confront it so of course he's going to be uncomfortable. But I didn't see any kind of disapproval or discouragement of the phandom making those kind of quizzes, in fact he said he appreciates it, but that doesn't mean he can't/won't be embarrassed when he finds it.

What was different about the quiz was that it was based on the premise that Dan would date a girl which is something he hasn't done for seven odd years maybe it's just a bit too remote
In fairness, I don't think anything about the quiz specified that the person on a date with Dan is female. However, if we make that assumption and then set it aside, that exact point is what I assumed Dan partially meant when he said the quiz would make assumptions about what he likes. But also... we could literally read into it any which way. Maybe Dan doesn't like dates? Romance? Cliché date shit? Dating a fan? (The irony.)

My phan goggles are securely on though, so I'm sticking to the very theory I was going for and you made: The assumption Dan thinks we'd all get wrong is that he'd go on a date with a girl at any point in his current life.
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

coffeepenguin wrote:
nihilist-toothpaste wrote:and coffeepenguin, i can't totally see what you mean by new art in the background from your screenshot, but i assume it's that blue one on the right? if so, that's a painting dan has always had above that dresser. it's another one by wirrow. it's just usually not visible in his videos based on how he angles his camera. you can see it in this behind the scenes shot from tabinof tho:

Thank you, that's what I meant, I don't know how I missed it, I own the damn book #fakefan although, I just checked and I can't find the photo? Doesn't matter anyway, at least now I know what it is, thanks!
I know it doesn't really matter where the pic came from, but I just want to say that you couldn't find it in tabinof because it's actually from 4:19 in Dan's video "Audience Participation Fear":
Carry on! :D
nihilist-toothpaste
drama llama

lol my bad on mis-sourcing! i was mad tired and probs confusing it w that page in tabinof when dan talks about his setup/behind the scenes of his filming process (unless i'm making that page up that page too ... guess who's the real fake fan..... shoulda confirmed before confidently stating that, sorryyyy)
bluewho
truth bomb

rizzo wrote:
bluewho wrote:

In fairness, I don't think anything about the quiz specified that the person on a date with Dan is female. However, if we make that assumption and then set it aside, that exact point is what I assumed Dan partially meant when he said the quiz would make assumptions about what he likes. But also... we could literally read into it any which way. Maybe Dan doesn't like dates? Romance? Cliché date shit? Dating a fan? (The irony.)

My phan goggles are securely on though, so I'm sticking to the very theory I was going for and you made: The assumption Dan thinks we'd all get wrong is that he'd go on a date with a girl at any point in his current life.
At the end in the 'roleplay' section it says 'her' and 'she'. I don't think it was a conscious comment from Dan it seems like he was just talking without really thinking through what he was saying. I think it could be read in that way though. But no matter what gender he assoicated with the quiz, the probability of him dating someone else at this time just probably seems quite remote to him and seems like a bit of a reach.
majitzu
angel bean

lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

this is in response to the discussion about dan's comments regarding his looks from a few pages back. sorry for only posting it now that the topic has moved on, but i just wanted to add: i think it's fairly common for any person to be fine with their looks in a setting that they control (e.g. when taking a selfie, choosing from several photos, setting up the camera angle and lighting for a video themselves, going out on a day when they feel positive about themselves), but be self-conscious or negative about it in other scenarios (e.g. other people taking photos or filming them, having to go out when they don't feel positive about themselves). for example as a tall person it's easy to feel self-conscious about photos taken by other people (who are typically shorter) because you get very unflattering angles. or it's possible to feel positive about ones looks in photos, but be negative about it when it comes to meeting people irl. so i feel like with respect to this discussion it might be fairly reasonable to say that instead either having dan downplay his looks on purpose for #relatability or him being negative about it all the time maybe just both is true.

and that tweet is adorable!
thank's you were great
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

After reading the (very eloquent) posts on people being bothered by the video I watched it again to see if I picked up on a condescending or patronizing attitude and I still don't, really. Or rather: I do. But it seems aimed equally, if not more, at himself and what his branding has inspired than strictly at fans.

He also had to be aware that the first few weren't even written by fans. They were written by an adult man who tweeted Dan yesterday jokingly apologizing. The ones toward the end, the roleplay date one, that was pretty harsh but he also acknowledged again that the quiz was made at a point where most of the references were fresh.

Anyway, timestamps!

:02 - Phil cameo.
:14 - "A certain rat called Phil-" "I'm still listening!" "Fuck off, okay." "Excuse me-"
:40 - Furry reference with cricket sound effect after.
:58 - "What I'm genuinely terrified of right now is learning what you actually think of me."
1:47 - "Celebrate your support as a community of people watching my videos" paired with "might be a rude awakening for what the world actually sees me like"
2:02 - What Percentage Dan Howell Are You
2:30 - References DAPC video.
2:40 - "Definitely more of a crier"
2:42 - sexy end screen dance gif
3:11 - Gets 100% Dan Howell result

Questions he didn't show himself answering:
- Favorite Lunar State (Half Moon, Mooning, Full Moon, Eclipse, Exploded)
- Pick a Disney Film (The Lion King, Big Hero 6, Finding Nemo, Cars, The Fox & The Hound)
- Pick a Call of Duty Experience
- Pick a Muse Album (Drones, Origin of Symmetry, The 2nd Law, Black Holes and Revelations, The Resistance)
(Purely through random clicking, I also got 100% Dan Howell.)

3:30 - Can You Guess the Dan Howell Video From One Pixel
4:13 - Cheeky nip
4:17 - Is This Dan Howell or a Hobbit
4:30 - Rant about embracing his hair/how his longer curly hair doesn't look good.
5:02 - Selfie that ranks in top ten most cringe of his life.

Selfies he skipped:
- Sri Lanka elephant one
- 3D audio wet hair/dirty face one
- Pic with Colin from Christmas
- Phil
5:10 - "What a creative way to mock me."
5:15 - Cringes at buzzfeed tagging
5:21 - Are You More Like Dan or Phil
5:28 - "We're both night owls."
5:37 - "I love my branding." through clenched teeth.
5:50 - Cheeky knee.
6:00 - Gets "Dan" result.

- Snow or beach? (You can see he selected snow.)
- Coffee or tea?
- Pikachu or Totoro? (You can see he selected Pikachu.)
- Worm or moth?
- Taylor or Emma?
- The Queen or Justin? (You can see he selected the Queen.)
6:31 - Describes the quizzes so far and "fairly vanilla" and not weird, goes to find community based ones.
6:45 - Would Dan Howell Date You; refers to it as making a lot of reaching assumptions.
7:17 - "In what universe would I say 'hey babe'?"
7:53 - Llamas reference.
8:04 - "To be fair, this was written in 2013. Some of this was still fresh."

8:52 - Which Phan Body Part Are You (the one Phil sent him)
9:16 - "Only the select few can be Phil's glabella. Is that a challenge?" Does not seem uncomfortable or bothered by the idea of getting a Phil results, seems to take it as the goal?
10:04 - "Oh shit, here we go. Dan's inner trash can is about to be revealed."
10:22 - Outright cringing at having to read overly adoring phangirl responses.
10:52 - He got Phil's Glabella, still does not seem uncomfortable with that result. (Also, did not skip any questions.) Only refers to it as uncomfortable after having to read the phrase "that sexy bit of skin between Phil's eyebrows."
11:13 - "You're dragging me, but it's all true."
11:49 - "I blame Phil completely."
12:15 - Says he appreciates that people find he's interesting enough to make quizzes. "I appreciate you. Mostly."
12:35 - "Long and hard.... THINK."
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

Oh god I'm an idiot for some reason I didn't get a Twitter notification and not logged into YouTube so only just found out Dan made a new vid
:D
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

slightly late now, but heres a thought. do you think theres a possibility that dan used the dapc video to say things that he would otherwise be judged/questioned about? e.g 'youre a bad boy jeffrey' 'long with a big head' '*shirtless phil paint dabbing*' etc