Dan & Phil Part 41: what in domestication

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
gnostic
stress mushroom

IckleMissMayhem wrote:First time I heard of CP was when it was announced it was getting shut down, hence my not GAF about the video in advance.

Never been so bored, or tempted to give up watching one of their videos as I was with this one. And Id say I've never been so uncomfortable watching one... (but thanks to Dan's diss track that wouldn't strictly be true.)

There's just something downright wrong with a pair of adults cruising a kids chat/game site "looking to make a friend" that just squicked me right the hell out. Still does, and their behaviour whilst doing so didn't help matters.
If it helps based on all available statistics it's highly likely there were little to none actual kids on there
Just here for the marketing skills
onetruetrash
blobfish

azara wrote:I haven't seen the new video yet. I loved Club Penguin, and I'm super sad that it's gone, so from the above reviews I may skip this video. It would also be a bit weird for the D&P part of my life to intersect with my childhood

On the subject of physical attractiveness: something that I've noticed lately is the large number of comments underneath Phil's videos talking about how attractive he is. Which would be fine, except that lots of them are obviously being written by young teenage girls. Phil just turned 30. I get that he's not hard to look at, but commenting things like "HAVE MY BABIES" and "PHIL IS ON FIRE" seems inappropriate to me, given the large age gap. It can make me feel quite uncomfortable.

Dan (between 2009 and 2013ish) was very attractive to a young 15 year old azara, discovering boys for the first time, but both he and Phil have obviously matured a lot lookswise. I no longer find them attractive in that way - although of course they're still quite good-looking just in general.

Anyway, what do you guys think about this? Am I just being too prude, or do you agree that it's somewhat inappropriate?
A large majority of those girls are joking or exaggerating. I don't really think it's inappropriate since it's obviously not reciprocated.
azara
phillion/danosaur <//3

Fair enough. I guess I just can't understand it myself; I was never "inherently sexual" as a teen, not any more than I am now, anyway, lol. Even if it's not inappropriate, it seems a bit cringey. Phil is going to read those messages! Imagine if you got loads of input from tweens and teens (who are mostly the ones leaving the YouTube comments) saying how hot they thought you were. I would feel a bit awkward about it. I guess Dan and Phil have just learned to accept it. One of the ways Dan deals with it is by being self-deprecating, as somebody else wrote a page or two ago - and I think Phil just chooses to ignore it completely.

Although I haven't played CP for several years now, part of me feels really bad for Katjelinda, my beautiful purple penguin with all the coloured puffles, a decked-out igloo, black belt, master spy...RIP to a pixelated part of my childhood :(

(tbh the account was probably deleted for inactivity years ago, but I like to think it all still existed somewhere in the CP archives)
pearshaped34
morning quiff

azara wrote:On the subject of physical attractiveness: something that I've noticed lately is the large number of comments underneath Phil's videos talking about how attractive he is. Which would be fine, except that lots of them are obviously being written by young teenage girls. Phil just turned 30. I get that he's not hard to look at, but commenting things like "HAVE MY BABIES" and "PHIL IS ON FIRE" seems inappropriate to me, given the large age gap. It can make me feel quite uncomfortable.

Dan (between 2009 and 2013ish) was very attractive to a young 15 year old azara, discovering boys for the first time, but both he and Phil have obviously matured a lot lookswise. I no longer find them attractive in that way - although of course they're still quite good-looking just in general.

Anyway, what do you guys think about this? Am I just being too prude, or do you agree that it's somewhat inappropriate?
Can I ask as you've only mentioned it disturbing you when it's Phil does young teenage girls fancying 25 year old Dan not bother you? Because while I'm okay with any age gap when it's an unrequited crush on a public figure if we were talking about anything else I'd consider 25 and young teenager to be an large inappropriate age gap too.
blackdenim
procrastinator

With regards to teenage girls being overtly sexual towards D&P, I think it's the same in all fandoms, always. It's probably uncomfortable for them to see, but I'm sure they're used to it/can ignore it by now. I personally find this less disturbing than people writing really smutty fan fiction about real people (but appreciate that is probably an unpopular opinion, and understand that the fanfiction isn't meant for the subjects to see, whereas comments are).

The thing with YT comments and Twitter and stuff is that these days girls can actively and constantly message the person they're lusting over, whereas when I was a teenager I would have had to go to a show, wait at the stage door for Pete Wentz to come out, and then tell him I wanted to have his babies! Too much effort, and also too embarrassing to say to his face as an awkward 15 year old girl. (And he is about 10 years older than me so an even bigger age gap than Phil and most of these girls!)
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

I’ve never played this game myself but I once watched my friend play when we were little and I remember being bewildered by it. Had the same reaction watching deppy play.

But anyway, I seriously doubt Dan and Phil’s behaviour would have ruined anyone’s last day of playing. No one was exposed to their shouty penguin for more than a couple of minutes and apart from the ho comment, which I thought was too much but they kind of apologised to the person, nothing they said was really inappropriate or mean, even if the other players were kids. It’s not going to be my favourite video of theirs but I found it amusing and I might rewatch it later. As others have pointed out, playing it for real would have actually been really weird since the people they were talking to might have been really young. I think it was a good choice to make it dramatic and over the top so that no one would think they were actually serious about befriending children on a chat website. Could have made AmazingStrangerDanger from the latest sims video a reality .
azara wrote:On the subject of physical attractiveness: something that I've noticed lately is the large number of comments underneath Phil's videos talking about how attractive he is. Which would be fine, except that lots of them are obviously being written by young teenage girls. Phil just turned 30. I get that he's not hard to look at, but commenting things like "HAVE MY BABIES" and "PHIL IS ON FIRE" seems inappropriate to me, given the large age gap. It can make me feel quite uncomfortable.

I'm not cool with it either, it seriously makes me cringe, but that's teenagers for you. I think idolising older celebrities is a normal part of growing up, it's the kind of thing you do when you're fourteen and regret a few years later. This has always happened but the internet lets people be more vocal about it, I think. Pretty sure the girls idolising The Beatles would have taken to the internet to write inappropriate comments too if the internet had existed in the 1960s. :D As long as Phil doesn't encourage it, it's going to be just fine. That's why I was glad when he stopped doing "Draw Phil Naked". He must've realised that asking young kids to draw him naked when he was in his late 20s himself was really weird.

Edit: blackdenim said it better while I was still typing!
momoroki
glabella
Pronouns: she/her

lmao don't know about you guys, but I found that video hilarious. Maybe it appeals to the troll-y white boy that lurks within me, or maybe it's because it's exactly what I did when I went on Club Penguin. Def a nostalgic throwback for me, I remember playing it with my friends when I was 9. Nowadays no kid really plays it though? I get where you guys are coming from with "it's creepy for two grown men to be on a kids site trying to make friends" but a.) they weren't seriously doing it, that would be weird and b.) that's literally all anyone does on the site - be little shits and try to get banned. I DID kinda want them to be there for the "waddle on" message that happened at the end, I'm sure it would have provoked a wonderful Negative Existential Rant from Dan, followed by the Obligatory Positive Spin from Phil. Overall, it's amusing enough and imo undeserving of the vitriol it's receiving, but understandably slightly disappointing given recent videos like Mark of Oxin and Potato Prints.
momoroki
glabella

(IM SORRY TO DOUBLE POST I missed the edit window! Took too long idling over my answer ack, now it's been swallowed forever. Goodbye, well thought out argument )

Just wanted to add onto my original post: I get it. It must be really weird to see legions of teenage girls thirsting over you. I find it interesting how rn people agree the comments are cringey, but when it's in terms of Dan's occasional derisiveness towards his teenage girl audience, it's generally seen as rude and inherently sexist because teenage girls have long been made fun of for their interests. Am I oversimplifying this? Is this an unfair comparison to make because Dan himself is a creator and has a lot of sway over people's opinions? Would love to type a lot more but I need sleep and this is probably incoherent as is.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I think for me, the power lies with Dan and Phil, therefore I don't think I'd consider teenagers lusting over them to necessarily be 'inappropriate'. Tasteless? Cringey? Impolite? Sure. I'd definitely discourage them from making those comments directly to Dan and Phil as I'm sure it does make them uncomfortable, but so long as it's done on their own twitter/tumblr etc then I can't really see a problem with it as they're mostly just kids. I don't think that sort of behaviour warrants condescending generalisations about teenage girls from Dan (or Phil, although he hasn't done that) but I would understand if he were to request people stopped making those sort of comments about him as he has the right to do so, just without being vaguely sexist and diminishing the worth/intelligence/complexity of teenage girls.

I think it's important to remember dnp are human beings with real feelings, but I also think they've probably gotten to a point where they ignore those sort of comments anyway. I honestly doubt they actively seek them out, and the way they interact with the fandom probably allows them to filter a lot of that out (or maybe I'm just naive idk tbh).
parallel
phabergé

I don't find it weird or inappropriate for legions of teenage girls to be lusting over Dan/Phil. Obviously, if it were actually reciprocated and they were in a relationship, there would be serious age gap issues, but all teenagers have celebrity crushes (I mean, well, most) and it's completely normal for fans to see their idols in a more-than-friendly way. Cringey and blunt, yes, but it's fine for teenagers, who are raging with hormones, to express their sexuality, even if the method is kind of impolite. Deppy must be used to it now, and if they really had an issue with it, they could easily tell their audience that it's a creepy thing to do. I get that Dan isn't as blunt with Phandom drama as he was in 2012, but if they really were weirded out by it, it's completely in their power to stop it.

Also, I don't really see that many comments of an inherently sexual nature towards Deppy, actually. There are plenty saying that they're hot or pretty or whatever positive appearance-related adjective of your choice, but not, er, let's put it, saying what the commenter would do to Deppy. And there's nothing wrong with a compliment, imo.
thephandommenace
procrastinator

Thank you missemma (and oqua indirectly) and kalli for answering my question there's so much from their online beginnings that I'm curious about but I got here too late so I'll probably never know.

Unfortunately I have seen a lot of sexual, even graphic comments directed towards them, always completely out of the blue and it gives me a mini heart attack each time. The overly-sexualised, out-of-nowhere nature of the comments makes me wonder if it's a shared joke/sense of humour, but I hate it. It physically repulses me. Fair enough if it's just an innocent comment about how attractive they are, that I can handle, and it isn't impolite (though definitely cringey a lot of the time), and if they want to assert their own sexual fantasies about the boys on their own personal blogs then okay, I suppose. But so many of these sexual comments are on their YouTube videos or direct replies to their tweets, often mere seconds after D&P have posted, so the possibility of them seeing it is quite high. Not only am I embarrassed for the boys themselves, but I also don't want to see such graphic comments. I just can't understand someone who'd want to post that kind of thing to them directly.

Slightly OT, but in every single video post, most of the comments speak about them in the third person, as if they're commenting on a Tumblr blog about the person, rather than to the person on their own channel. I suppose it's because people think of the YT comment section as a community as well, for people to discuss D&P, and they're not expecting Deppy to see it? But I find that a bit weird too. A bit dehumanising.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I tend to assume people making explicit sexual comments like that are doing so out of humor, the same way phandom tends to exaggerate every type of emotional for humor. The extremes run to either side; Phil is a cinnamon bun angel bean or he's a dominating daddy. Dan is someone they want to [insert sexually explicit stuff] or he's an ugly rat. Some people in Dan's liveshows spend what I pay in rent per month to tell him how awful he is, and some do the same to tell him how perfect he is . When they post a video the comments are half "this saved my life" and half "i hate this, delete it" - etc etc. Phandom has no chill, essentially, and I think Dan and Phil probably read the comments like that - with an attitude of realizing how exaggerated they are and dismissing them as such.
/fɪl lɛstɚ/
sad dimple

I don't understand a lot of the dialogue about the video making people uncomfortable because it's a website for kids. I was doing that shit on Club Penguin when I was like... 9. I loved CP. I'd wake up on Saturdays at 7 am, play straight through lunch, and only stop when my mom called me for dinner. I used to get married to random people on there, and we'd consummate by taking all the clothes off our penguins and sitting next to each other while doing the heart emoji. I was 9. Not such an innocent website.

I enjoyed the video. It felt like a wild nostalgia trip. Reminded me of my old CP videos. I'll put one in a spoiler just to show you the kind of stuff I was up to on that website
I am always on Phil Lester's side
Birdie
blobfish

momoroki wrote:Just wanted to add onto my original post: I get it. It must be really weird to see legions of teenage girls thirsting over you. I find it interesting how rn people agree the comments are cringey, but when it's in terms of Dan's occasional derisiveness towards his teenage girl audience, it's generally seen as rude and inherently sexist because teenage girls have long been made fun of for their interests. Am I oversimplifying this? Is this an unfair comparison to make because Dan himself is a creator and has a lot of sway over people's opinions? Would love to type a lot more but I need sleep and this is probably incoherent as is.
I don’t think these situations are comparable at all. Teenage girls get a lot of shit for their interests and that’s not okay but it doesn’t mean we can’t criticise their behaviour ever. Sending inappropriate messages to their idols isn’t just “having an interest”, it can quickly turn into harassment. Not Youtube comments obviously, but sending this stuff to deppy via Twitter all the time for instance. That’s not okay but it happens. I don’t find this behaviour cringey because I think teen girls are ridiculous, but because it’s underage girls writing sexual messages to grown men and that’s an uncomfortable thought. I wish it wouldn’t happen but I realise it’s a part of growing up and discovering your sexuality, so it’s actually normal teenage behaviour. It still makes me uncomfortable though. I’m just glad I chose deppy as my favourite Youtubers because with them I’m sure they would never take advantage of it like others have in the past.

Like, I can't help but think back to Tumblr Tag 3, when someone posted that smutty fanart into the tag and deppy saw it, recoiling in horror (which I'm pretty sure was a real reaction). That's the kind of thing I never want to see happening again, even though I'm sure it happens a lot without us knowing about it. I'm pretty sure they left that part in the video to make clear it wasn't okay. Remember how much shit they got for hurting the artist's feelings though? Instead of their fans realising sexualising real people like this and forcing them to see it wasn't okay? I don't think that was fair at all and it might have made them weary about putting their foot down when it comes to expressing their discomfort with stuff like this.
captainspacecoat wrote:I think for me, the power lies with Dan and Phil, therefore I don't think I'd consider teenagers lusting over them to necessarily be 'inappropriate'. Tasteless? Cringey? Impolite? Sure. I'd definitely discourage them from making those comments directly to Dan and Phil as I'm sure it does make them uncomfortable, but so long as it's done on their own twitter/tumblr etc then I can't really see a problem with it as they're mostly just kids. I don't think that sort of behaviour warrants condescending generalisations about teenage girls from Dan (or Phil, although he hasn't done that) but I would understand if he were to request people stopped making those sort of comments about him as he has the right to do so, just without being vaguely sexist and diminishing the worth/intelligence/complexity of teenage girls.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

These are great.
malday
emo goose

that voice sounds like Markiplier? it's a damn good impression if it's just pj.
hannah
butt chair

malday wrote: that voice sounds like Markiplier? it's a damn good impression if it's just pj.
Very sure its just PJ, he's very skilled in his voices. So when's the fanart?
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Birdie wrote: Like, I can't help but think back to Tumblr Tag 3, when someone posted that smutty fanart into the tag and deppy saw it, recoiling in horror (which I'm pretty sure was a real reaction). That's the kind of thing I never want to see happening again, even though I'm sure it happens a lot without us knowing about it. I'm pretty sure they left that part in the video to make clear it wasn't okay. Remember how much shit they got for hurting the artist's feelings though? Instead of their fans realising sexualising real people like this and forcing them to see it wasn't okay? I don't think that was fair at all and it might have made them weary about putting their foot down when it comes to expressing their discomfort with stuff like this.
Umm sis..

That fanart was shared without permission. I used to follow that artist and they did specialize in smutty fanart, but never tagged it in the main tags and never wanted them to see it. Someone stole it and tagged it for the video and then the artist had to watch their two favorite YouTubers 'recoil' at their hard work that was meant for only the people interested in that kind of stuf. They deactivated over all the hate they got and the complete humiliation of the experience.

Although the person who stole the art was mostly to blame, people were right about getting mad at D&P's complete lack of tact about the whole thing. They should've been more careful, it's not that hard to at least see whether the blog url matches the one on the art and see whether there's any kind of artist description on the piece. D&P have never cared about what smut fanworks are created about them as long as they're not confronted with it so they know damn well what goes on in the deep parts of the phandom and should maybe have figured out that it wasn't meant for them and not right for them to react to it.

And people can fight me on this, I did it at the time and I'll do it now.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
secretagentphan
procrastinator

SquishPhan wrote: These are great.
THE DAN ONE I'M CRYING
Birdie
blobfish

Catallena wrote:Umm sis..

That fanart was shared without permission. I used to follow that artist and they did specialize in smutty fanart, but never tagged it in the main tags and never wanted them to see it. Someone stole it and tagged it for the video and then the artist had to watch their two favorite YouTubers 'recoil' at their hard work that was meant for only the people interested in that kind of stuf. They deactivated over all the hate they got and the complete humiliation of the experience.
I know the artist didn't post the art into the main tag and I didn't blame them for what happened in my post, did I? The person I blame is whoever decided to not only steal the art but also post it into the tag for Phil to see it. I get that this must have been horrible for the artist and I should have elaborated more before, since I've heard all of this before and I'm truly sorry this happened to her. It wasn't her fault. I blame the person who stole the art for making deppy uncomfortable and for causing all this drama for the original artist. Doesn't change the fact that whoever decided to steal the art and make them see it overstepped a lot of boundaries, which is what I was trying to point out in my post.
Catallena wrote:Although the person who stole the art was mostly to blame, people were right about getting mad at D&P's complete lack of tact about the whole thing. They should've been more careful, it's not that hard to at least see whether the blog url matches the one on the art and see whether there's any kind of artist description on the piece. D&P have never cared about what smut fanworks are created about them as long as they're not confronted with it so they know damn well what goes on in the deep parts of the phandom and should maybe have figured out that it wasn't meant for them and not right for them to react to it.

Yeah, this is where we disagree but I'm cool with that. I'm not going to fight you, I see where you're coming from here and I respect your opinion. I mean, I get what you're saying but I also get why someone wouldn't check the url or the description after seeing themselves featured in porn and I think I understand why they decided to leave that part in the video (although I'm just speculating of course). I'm not judging the artist here since she never meant for them to find it but I'm also not going to blame deppy for the way they reacted to this.
onetruetrash
blobfish

SquishPhan wrote: These are great.
i did that and got hedgehog porn thanks phil
lurker
janice from the shop

this is completely off topic, but i just noticed that mark of oxin pt. 2 is at around 633k views whereas the first installment hit 1 million. that might give some insight on how many of the views come from casual viewers, right? i'm also still confused as to why they fired the second one out so quickly -- because they thought it was something mostly interesting to dedicated viewers, maybe? i don't really have anything interesting to say, but if someone is up for speculation, i'd be interested in hearing about it!
thank's you were great
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

onetruetrash wrote: i did that and got hedgehog porn thanks phil
I got images of an aging mustachioed pornstar with a literal hedghog. :(
Birdie
blobfish

I got a pink Sonic style hedgehog, I guess I was lucky... :?
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Birdie wrote:
Catallena wrote:Umm sis..

I know the artist didn't post the art into the main tag and I didn't blame them for what happened in my post, did I? The person I blame is whoever decided to not only steal the art but also post it into the tag for Phil to see it. I get that this must have been horrible for the artist and I should have elaborated more before, since I've heard all of this before and I'm truly sorry this happened to her. It wasn't her fault. I blame the person who stole the art for making deppy uncomfortable and for causing all this drama for the original artist. Doesn't change the fact that whoever decided to steal the art and make them see it overstepped a lot of boundaries, which is what I was trying to point out in my post.
Catallena wrote:Although the person who stole the art was mostly to blame, people were right about getting mad at D&P's complete lack of tact about the whole thing. They should've been more careful, it's not that hard to at least see whether the blog url matches the one on the art and see whether there's any kind of artist description on the piece. D&P have never cared about what smut fanworks are created about them as long as they're not confronted with it so they know damn well what goes on in the deep parts of the phandom and should maybe have figured out that it wasn't meant for them and not right for them to react to it.

Yeah, this is where we disagree but I'm cool with that. I'm not going to fight you, I see where you're coming from here and I respect your opinion. I mean, I get what you're saying but I also get why someone wouldn't check the url or the description after seeing themselves featured in porn and I think I understand why they decided to leave that part in the video (although I'm just speculating of course). I'm not judging the artist here since she never meant for them to find it but I'm also not going to blame deppy for the way they reacted to this.
Your post kinda read like 'people defended the artist who got her feelings jurt but what people really should've done is realize that fanworks like that aren't okay' which I have a problem with. NSFW fanworks are totally okay, just don't bother the subject with it, don't do it if the subjects have expressed being bothered by it, and keep it where only people specifically interested in such things can see. Glad to see that wasn't your intention.

Porn or no porn, they were careless. I also don't agree they left that clip in for some deep reason. People had found the previous installments unrealistically tame for Tumblr so D&P countered it with making a joke out of NSFW content. "Oh we went to deep into the Tumblr fandom lolololol" or something like that.

It also wasn't the first time their was minor controversy about their reaction to fanart either. A completely innocent fanart of them drawn as girls was put in the 'weird' section of TABINOF. So
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr