Dan & Phil Part 41: what in domestication

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
blackdenim
procrastinator

alittledizzy wrote:
blackdenim wrote:The first painting mention made me sure they were moving! But the background aesthetic talk cast doubt and then the second painting mention has me fully certain they're staying put. I think he just wasn't sure he wanted to talk about changing his background which is why he phrased it weird the first time.

Also this is my first time watching one of their live shows as it happens, and cos I live in the area it's v weird for me to hear a siren I just heard outside my own window on the liveshow
The changing background for videos makes sense if he's about to move and gets to choose whether to recreate a similar background setting or take the opportunity to go with something completely new, though.
Good point! I suppose we'll find out when they're back, since if it is happening it seems like it's happening soon!
SquishPhan
capita£ester
Pronouns: she/her

hunnyftw wrote:SquishPhan, your argument for them not moving makes total sense but on the other hand... his delivery was so weird... Nah, I refuse to be reasonable like you are. At least for the next couple of hours, till I get some sleep and calm down
I get it, I'm kind of hoping they will move, but not getting my hopes up yet. ;)
alittledizzy wrote:
hunnyftw wrote:Also, the "phan service" coat talk made me very uncomfortable. This is only a half-formed thought but I felt he ridiculed the audience a bit too much there. Possibly.
I laughed. It was pretty earned. People do lose their shit over tiny things. The fact that he volunteered the story and seemed to be laughingly anticipating the reaction made it something I could laugh at as well, as opposed to his sometimes lowkey anxiety driven/lashing out attitude.
I too laughed at that phan service moment, thought it was pretty funny.
houseplant
squish

i have an image of all of us frantically counting the number of dvd cases in the bookshelf during phil's live show for more clues of moving/not moving and phil just babbling away about space/animals/food, all the while knowing exactly what he's doing to us
SquishPhan
capita£ester

houseplant wrote:i have an image of all of us frantically counting the number of dvd cases in the bookshelf during phil's live show for more clues of moving/not moving and phil just babbling away about space/animals/food, all the while knowing exactly what he's doing to us
That sadly can't happen, because Dan said that Phil won't do a live show on Thursday, but that we will likely got a new AP vid. And maybe a small vid on lessamazingphil as well which involves Dan somehow.
onetruetrash
blobfish

SquishPhan wrote:
houseplant wrote:i have an image of all of us frantically counting the number of dvd cases in the bookshelf during phil's live show for more clues of moving/not moving and phil just babbling away about space/animals/food, all the while knowing exactly what he's doing to us
That sadly can't happen, because Dan said that Phil won't do a live show on Thursday, but that we will likely got a new AP vid. And maybe a small vid on lessamazingphil as well which involves Dan somehow.
What makes you say that?
hunnyftw
phabergé

Yeah no :( Dan said there will probably be no liveshows for the next 3 weeks; and that includes Phil's shows. But otherwise, that would totally happen ;)

alittledizzy wrote:
hunnyftw wrote:Also, the "phan service" coat talk made me very uncomfortable. This is only a half-formed thought but I felt he ridiculed the audience a bit too much there. Possibly.
I laughed. It was pretty earned. People do lose their shit over tiny things. The fact that he volunteered the story and seemed to be laughingly anticipating the reaction made it something I could laugh at as well, as opposed to his sometimes lowkey anxiety driven/lashing out attitude.
See, that's a thing, you call it laughingly anticipating and volunteering a story while I, for one reason or another, read it as him being passive aggressive and lashing out. And it's just a gut feeling for now. It's interesting how people can differ in their interpretation of others' intentions and feelings, isn't it? But maybe I'll change my mind after rewatching that bit, who knows ;)
SquishPhan
capita£ester

onetruetrash wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:
What makes you say that?
That is what Dan said in his live show.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

hunnyftw wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:
See, that's a thing, you call it laughingly anticipating and volunteering a story while I, for one reason or another, read it as him being passive aggressive and lashing out. And it's just a gut feeling for now. It's interesting how people can differ in their interpretation of others' intentions and feelings, isn't it? But maybe I'll change my mind after rewatching that bit, who knows ;)
For me Dan's whole mood this entire liveshow just wasn't the passive-aggressive/lashing out mood. This was a huge departure; he was laughing, light hearted. To me that is what informs what I read into his comments. (But trust me, there have been plenty of times in the past where I did feel like he was absolutely lashing out. This is not me blindly defending Dan against that, just saying that in this particular instance I didn't take that away from it.)
pearshaped34
morning quiff

Maybe they are moving and retaining the flat as a work space/cover to keep their new home(s) hidden from the phandom so they are going to be "redecorating" aka taking all the stuff they want to there new place(s) and building their new sets.

In all seriousness though Dan is a person whose suitcase sits in the background of his live shows for like four months after his returned from his travels. He is not a person who decorates a room if he has any plans to move in like the next year. If he has actually changed that room around when they get back then either moving is off the table for the foreseeable future or they are keeping the flat to work in IMO.
Last edited by pearshaped34 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
malday
emo goose

hunnyftw wrote: See, that's a thing, you call it laughingly anticipating and volunteering a story while I, for one reason or another, read it as him being passive aggressive and lashing out. And it's just a gut feeling for now. It's interesting how people can differ in their interpretation of others' intentions and feelings, isn't it? But maybe I'll change my mind after rewatching that bit, who knows ;)
I sensed a little annoyance in his voice too, but also laughed.

and the ls is not on his youtube, as expected, he didn't even tweet it.
secretagentphan
procrastinator

Dan is relocating to Phils room #CONFIRMEDSKSL (jk)
internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

Okay, I loved that. He just seemed in a great relaxed mood throughout. The 'phanservice' story made me laugh - and yeah, I thought the story itself was cute, fight me Dan - I actually didn't take it badly at all? (which considering my reaction to the quizzes video, surprising!) I agree with dizzy that he seemed relaxed about it - he seemed to me to be building up the 'joke' to laugh with us about our reaction, really, though I totally get how people could find it differently. I guess it shows how much does come down to tone and the interpretation of that, as hunnyftw said. Thinking back I can totally see how his words sound negative and passive aggressive, but it just didn't feel that way to me at the time. I will also rewatch and see how I feel!

Looking forward to the Phil (and potential lessamazingphil) video on Thursday, and whatever DINOF videos are apparently planned - we'll get the one he built up to eventually!! Going hardcore on the 'moving' train, too - the phone broadcast and missing wirrow painting and mention of 'relocating' it and talk of changing the background are all just too much. I thought things had calmed down on that front recently but I'm fully back on board the idea of it being imminent now, though I do agree with SquishPhan that it doesn't seem like an ideal time.
obliviongrace
*editing tips*

alittledizzy wrote:
hunnyftw wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:
Yes, these are my thoughts on this exchange! I have to admit that I laughed at the coat story. Because it is ridiculous, in a way, that people can freak out so much over that. And I feel that Dan can make a joke that people would freak over that without being derisive of his audience, and his tone seemed more jokey in this case. And I am someone who often does feel that Dan is lashing out at his audience. But, as dizzy said, his whole tone was more light-hearted this show - eg/ he wasn't making self-depreciating remarks after every complementary message - and so to me it simply came off as him pointing out this kind of ridiculous fact that we can get so worked up over small things.

For me Dan's whole mood this entire liveshow just wasn't the passive-aggressive/lashing out mood. This was a huge departure; he was laughing, light hearted. To me that is what informs what I read into his comments. (But trust me, there have been plenty of times in the past where I did feel like he was absolutely lashing out. This is not me blindly defending Dan against that, just saying that in this particular instance I didn't take that way from it.)

Edit: I want to add that what I'm saying here is I totally understand how someone could have interpreted it as lashing out/making fun of his audience too much, but I just wanted to add my two-cents about why it didn't come off that way for me :)
hunnyftw
phabergé

alittledizzy, no worries it didn't cross my mind that you're blindly defending him And I see where you're coming from, and agree that on the whole this wasn't a passive-aggressive liveshow. But still, there was this one moment... ;)

I can totally see that this whole exchange, innocuous as it may seem, will make rewatch the ls tomorrow. Productivity? Duties? Pff, who needs that?
bee
phabergé

My "relocating" theories

- They're absolutely massively broke somehow, and pawning off all their stuff
- Someone else is moving in and Dan is moving upstairs into the tiny office
- They have spring cleaning fever and new years resolutions and suddenly somehow no more procrastination
- They're moving abroad and are already sending off non-essential items overzeas

Didn't they say awhile ago something about May being crazy? Not sure if I remember correctly. Well I'm intrigued anyhow.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

SquishPhan wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:
What makes you say that?
That is what Dan said in his live show.

I haven't watched the liveshow yet, but can I just go ahead and assume the lessamazingphil video will be Building Furniture In New House 2.0? Is that cool? Great. Thanks.
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

bee wrote:My "relocating" theories

- Someone else is moving in and Dan is moving upstairs into the tiny office

bitch dont you dare
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

His liveshows are always so good to me, there is enough trolling, bants and conversation in there to keep me entertained. Even if he was being a bit passive-aggressive (which I don't think he was at all) then I still enjoyed it. He knows exactly what words to use to get a reaction, he can see the chat as much as we can, and for sure saw that people were constantly, and it was constantly, asking "are you moving". He even answered a premium about relocating but I would put money on there being many messages asking if they were moving. He is such an ambiguous shit, but I think that's what keeps me entertained.

I did wonder if he bought the coat thing up because he was spotted out today and someone asked for a photo (which has yet to surface) so he wanted to announce he was wearing Phil's coat as he knew that people would lose their shit. Just a theory I have though (& i'm probably wrong) that he is buffering the phandom for it. I mean, walking through London for 20 minutes is a fair distance and it wouldn't surprise me if he hadn't been spotted. & yes, I would love to see a photo of him in Phil's coat, I hope it was Phils spacecoat

No liveshows for 3 weeks = Deppy holidays for sure especially as the convention in Australia is only 3 days long. I really hope they do go back to Hong Kong and take lots of nice selfies and post them for us. I'm glad they've learnt to pre-record videos and we won't have to go through the drough of tatinofUSA again! yay for them.

[offtopic]The liveshow has definitely put me off watching The Walking Dead finale now, if what he said is true then I don't want it to end on a cliffhanger as that was so shitty of last season.[/offtopic]
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
yupitsme
sofa crease

malday wrote:
hunnyftw wrote: See, that's a thing, you call it laughingly anticipating and volunteering a story while I, for one reason or another, read it as him being passive aggressive and lashing out. And it's just a gut feeling for now. It's interesting how people can differ in their interpretation of others' intentions and feelings, isn't it? But maybe I'll change my mind after rewatching that bit, who knows ;)
I sensed a little annoyance in his voice too, but also laughed.

and the ls is not on his youtube, as expected, he didn't even tweet it.
If anyone still wants to watch it, I think the link still works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZFSK5FitGc
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Guys, I'm going to make the next thread name poll in about 45 minutes so if you've got any suggestions please make them soon
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

missemma wrote:Guys, I'm going to make the next thread name poll in about 45 minutes so if you've got any suggestions please make them soon
It's almost time for the next thread already? Wow this thread moves fast.
Just like to say I love how someone asked Dan what he did today and he immediately said "we"
:D
000dia000
emo goose

missemma wrote:
I did wonder if he bought the coat thing up because he was spotted out today and someone asked for a photo (which has yet to surface) so he wanted to announce he was wearing Phil's coat as he knew that people would lose their shit. Just a theory I have though (& i'm probably wrong) that he is buffering the phandom for it. I mean, walking through London for 20 minutes is a fair distance and it wouldn't surprise me if he hadn't been spotted. & yes, I would love to see a photo of him in Phil's coat, I hope it was Phils spacecoat
This certainly makes sense, and what I hope is the context of his story, otherwise he just sounds condescending in his fanservice. Surely, they would do more coupley things and wouldn't tell us about it? They wore the same shirt for Dan's birthday after all! Yet Dan made this statement to purposelessly give "fanservice". But your idea actually seems to make sense, that he wanted to explain himself. Little would Dan know (in this hypothetical situation) nobody would have known, if he hadn't had said.

Otherwise, the statement rubbed me the wrong way, I really dont care about Phil being a good friend and giving his cold friend his jacket. I'm not oohing or ahhing or saying "relationship goals" like tumblr shippers, but instead I'm like "wtf Dan." And yeah, I know people won't like me saying this, but for someone like him who promptly ignores shipping and phan, etc, etc, purposefully giving us "phan service" with this coat story and is just so blatant ship baiting in this instance.

Also, I'm glad that Dan has basically called himself a furry, and nobody really cares. At all. How times' changed. People are just like, "yeah, okay, Dan." When I entertained the possibility a few months ago, people just insisted it was a joke, but who's the insane one now, eh???
:cactus:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

000dia000 wrote:for someone like him who promptly ignores shipping and phan, etc, etc, purposefully giving us "phan service" with this coat story and is just so blatant ship baiting in this instance.
The joke was that what he was saying was fanservice wasn't anything noteable, though. Dan genuinely baiting us with fanservice would have been to say, with no humor or sarcasm at all, that they were out earlier and he was cold so he wore Phil's coat. The entire punchline of this is that he knew that was something that fans would like but isn't actually exciting.
000dia000
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote:
000dia000 wrote:for someone like him who promptly ignores shipping and phan, etc, etc, purposefully giving us "phan service" with this coat story and is just so blatant ship baiting in this instance.
The joke was that what he was saying was fanservice wasn't anything noteable, though. Dan genuinely baiting us with fanservice would have been to say, with no humor or sarcasm at all, that they were out earlier and he was cold so he wore Phil's coat. The entire punchline of this is that he knew that was something that fans would like but isn't actually exciting.
Okay, noted about the intention. However I still feel that because he was not prompted and obviously planned this as a way of trolling his audience just rubs me the wrong way. I know the idea of him shading shippers is annoying for some while humourous (and honest) for others, I found this instance just a particular twist of the knife that for someone who likes to avoid all mention of phan, casually mentions phan service, to shade his audience about their obvious excitement about it. I mean, I'm not condemning Dan for not being open about his personal life, because, that's his privacy he can decide what he likes. However knowing that he sees people who are obviously invested in them and this little instance where he teases and toys with them, is just an asshole move. There's a lot more that could be assumed on how Dan probably likes to subtly manipulate his audience but that would be stretching.
:cactus:
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

yo this was probs one of my fave dan liveshows (i say that about every one it seems) but he seemed so relaxed and light hearted in this one. the phan service part had me cracking up. i dont think he meant poorly about the phanservice comment..

but he made me laugh multiple times during this liveshow. he seemed in such a good mood today. also that relocating comment, i immediately thought of them moving theyre not very subtle now are they?

good live show though, i enjoyed it!
:transheart: