Phanfiction recs to warm us on lonely nights

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: she/her

Lain wrote:Thanks for reccing blueshirt's fic, The_Blonde. Loved it! This high school au by glasseslouis was cute: heaven help the fool who falls in love.
Wow that was super cute and not even that cliche- thanks for the rec.
bluebox-away
woodland creature

spaceguitar wrote:
Lain wrote:Thanks for reccing blueshirt's fic, The_Blonde. Loved it! This high school au by glasseslouis was cute: heaven help the fool who falls in love.
Wow that was super cute and not even that cliche- thanks for the rec.
That was pretty adorable, thanks for the rec Lain!
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
lilMango
morning quiff

Just read this new fic by dizzy and it was fluffy and amazing and everything I wanted in life. So yeah.
Phil Lester wrote:"I'll rub myself in a mango before I eat a mango."
"Make no judgements where you have no compassion." -Anne McCaffrey
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

lilMango wrote:Just read this new fic by dizzy and it was fluffy and amazing and everything I wanted in life. So yeah.
This one is pretty nice, too cough cough
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Ticia wrote:
lilMango wrote:Just read this new fic by dizzy and it was fluffy and amazing and everything I wanted in life. So yeah.
This one is pretty nice, too cough cough
Both these fics are very nice.
internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

Adored this new fic from blueshirt! Thought it was an interesting idea to combine a few prompts like that, too.
Aurdie
spork

internetakeover wrote:Adored this new fic from blueshirt! Thought it was an interesting idea to combine a few prompts like that, too.
this indeed was adorable...thanks for recommending.
"If you have an exit strategy it's not an obsession." - Mark Cuban
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

Lately, I've been quite enjoying Not On Fire by ctrlphan. (Be warned that it's a WIP.)
Dan Howell is not on fire . . .

Dan doesn't do friends. He hangs out with Louise because it makes his parents happy, sets fires in his free time to keep his anger at bay, tries his best to go unnoticed, and dreams of the day when he'll go off to college in a completely different state with new people. Phil Lester, the new guy with a police officer for a father, is definitely not, in any way, a part of his plan.

But Louise has a different plan for him, one with befriending Phil Lester at the top of Things He Absolutely Must Do, despite how he feels about the situation. And every single time he turns around, it seems she has a new idea to help the budding friendship.

Now, Dan's struggling to please Louise and his parents, maintain good grades that will get him into a good college, and find time to do the one thing that actually calms him down.

So maybe being an arsonist in high school wasn't one of his better ideas.

. . . but everything around him is.
The_Blonde
living flop

internetakeover wrote:Adored this new fic from blueshirt! Thought it was an interesting idea to combine a few prompts like that, too.
Aw I loved this! (blueshirt is definitely one of my favourite writers; two fics from them this week has got me like )

Thanks for the rec of "Not On Fire" mysterylovescompany - I just started but can already tell I'm going to like it (it's such an interesting premise)
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

How to (Try to) Propose to Phil Lester by phangirlingforphan is absolutely brilliant and hilarious. Had to drop it in here for everyone who needs a good, fluffy chuckle.
kay
phabergé

rizzo wrote:How to (Try to) Propose to Phil Lester by phangirlingforphan is absolutely brilliant and hilarious. Had to drop it in here for everyone who needs a good, fluffy chuckle.
This was cute, and this author is so talented. I just read a bunch of their fics after reading the one you posted. Thanks for your suggestion!
Winston
flower crown

There's a super short fiction about the tweet today. Dan teaching Phil how to use chopsticks. Called chopsticks on ao3. On mobile and have no idea how to link it that way (and too lazy to try. :) ) but I thought I'd throw it out there for those of you who wanted one. It's cute.
actions speak louder than words
majitzu
angel bean

Winston wrote:There's a super short fiction about the tweet today. Dan teaching Phil how to use chopsticks. Called chopsticks on ao3. On mobile and have no idea how to link it that way (and too lazy to try. :) ) but I thought I'd throw it out there for those of you who wanted one. It's cute.
http://archiveofourown.org/works/7788046

;)
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

I just read Spooky Happenings by jqueen17, and quite like it, even if ...
... the ending is kinda cheesy.
Lain
eclipse shirt

I was re-reading my all-time favourite phanfic tonight and it made me curious - if you had to pick one single favourite phanfiction (or series), what would it be?

For the record, mine is jump a lil higher by snsk. I've read it so many times it might be best to put some distance between us. :sobs:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Mine is still A Contemplating Soul by XaLo. It breaks so many rules for what I look for in a fic (good characterization, no/few side characters, third person) and yet it's the thing I go back to every time. I almost feel like I shouldn't count it because it's the story itself that captures me and probably would just as much if it were original, which maybe is a statement on the fact that the characterization isn't amazing. But the heart/mind/etc wants what it wants, and mine wants to reread this fic once a month.

But also, all of snsk and also renorsomething and also achika and internettakeover and I could go on forever here's my list. (Which I'm finally updating again, dumping a few fics in every couple of days.)
sia
living flop

alittledizzy wrote:Mine is still A Contemplating Soul by XaLo. It breaks so many rules for what I look for in a fic (good characterization, no/few side characters, third person) and yet it's the thing I go back to every time. I almost feel like I shouldn't count it because it's the story itself that captures me and probably would just as much if it were original, which maybe is a statement on the fact that the characterization isn't amazing. But the heart/mind/etc wants what it wants, and mine wants to reread this fic once a month.

But also, all of snsk and also renorsomething and also achika and I could go on forever here's my list. (Which I'm finally updating again, dumping a few fics in every couple of days.)
I love contemplating soul :D I stayed awake the whole night when I read it for the first time. It's completely out of character :lol: (and somehow muddy in defining the location of the story?) yet the best high school au I've read
majitzu
angel bean

I was like "I hate ooc but I may check the ff. A little reading before studying... 196k words?!"

Now I really want to read it. I have something for big fics, maybe because the Harry Potter fandom is full of them.
Philena
blobfish

I love this topic, even if picking favorites gives me hives. Here are the two that stick out the most to me. I have read them multiple times, and they still haunt me. One is an AU, the other is real as shit (imo, of course).

So Many Stars by transdimensional-void
http://archiveofourown.org/works/383858 ... rs/8565691
There are scenes in this that still make my heart ache.

Dan and Phil: Lords of the Internet, Masters of Ambiguity by islet
http://archiveofourown.org/works/5027737
Just well written and real af.

I've written about my fave authors before, and with them I usually read their entire body of work ad nauseum. But the two fics linked above just stand out to me in a completely different way.
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

Lain wrote:I was re-reading my all-time favourite phanfic tonight and it made me curious - if you had to pick one single favourite phanfiction (or series), what would it be?
Damn. What a difficult question to answer! I had a scroll through my bookmarks and have narrowed it down to three (because I can hardly ever pick ultimate favourites):

fortune cookies by oqua :sobs:
Let's Get Through Today by Al0homora :platonic:
the human-shaped emptiness inside by frostbitten_cheeks
spider
ar·tic·u·late

Philena wrote:Dan and Phil: Lords of the Internet, Masters of Ambiguity by islet
http://archiveofourown.org/works/5027737
Just well written and real af.
mysterylovescompany wrote:fortune cookies by oqua :sobs:

i don't blame you much (for wanting to be free) by The_Blonde
bear
hobbit hair

Hey,
Does anyone know any long kinda angsty (but happy ending) high school AUs? Thanks
Philena
blobfish

bear wrote:Hey,
Does anyone know any long kinda angsty (but happy ending) high school AUs? Thanks
This came to mind:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/261179 ... rs/5821289
Not super long, but some angst and quite good!

eta: There is another fic that I love, but have completely blanked on the title/author. Phil is the new student who just moved back from the US to the UK, a son of extremely wealthy parents. Dan is a swimmer and tutor. They meet at Dan's secret hiding spot, that just so happens to be on Phil's property. Can anyone help me out?!
The_Blonde
living flop

Lain wrote:I was re-reading my all-time favourite phanfic tonight and it made me curious - if you had to pick one single favourite phanfiction (or series), what would it be?
Wow, what a question!! There's no possible way I could pick one so here's three, just because :D

my heart will howl (till you pull it off the ground) by islet is probably my favourite. I mean, it's angsty as heck but it remains the most beautifully written fic I've read in this fandom.

what you won't say out loud by augustbird is lovely and bittersweet and

And anything by blueshirt but especially but home is just a room (full of my safest sounds)
anathema
morning quiff

Philena wrote: eta: There is another fic that I love, but have completely blanked on the title/author. Phil is the new student who just moved back from the US to the UK, a son of extremely wealthy parents. Dan is a swimmer and tutor. They meet at Dan's secret hiding spot, that just so happens to be on Phil's property. Can anyone help me out?!
I think you may mean this one??
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."