Dan & Phil Part 42: lying makes you go to hell

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

awsugar wrote:
gnostic wrote:
MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote:
DatCog wrote:Wonder what video we'll get tonight...will it be another DAPG or a DINOF?? Maybe it'll be the hour-long Horse Prince finale!

Hope the guys are having a fun time wherever they are (still hoping they might have a few days in Japan )
*prays to the youtube gods for Horse Prince*
Let me join you in this circle sister
same! i know some people hate the horse prince videos but i think they're hilarious and was also hoping that that would be today's video
I want more because I'm hella invested in the story at this point. I *need* to know what happens next to susankun.
jhamba
procrastinator

so, about the whole "coming out" thing, I think it's true that dan is coming out, and on his own terms, which is really great for him, and it seems to work amazingly for him, and I'm kind of glad that people find it inspiring.

But, on the other hand, his refusal to come out in the traditional way makes things kind of harder, for us as an audience, who want something more concrete, so we can have a role model which we can point at, and tell other people about, as an example (like, they won't be in any list of "bisexual famous people").

I mean, they aren't obligated to be anything to us, of course, but I think, we as an audience also feel kind of disillusioned, in a weird way. We don't really have a lot of positive bisexual representation in media, and Dan and Phil would fit that role perfectly.

This also limits them in how much of themselves they can present to us, and how the audience will react to it. They can't make jokes about being queer, or if they do, they have to be very careful how they go about it, and it's a pretty confusing system, and the audience, especially if they are invested in them, can end up feeling mad about them not coming out traditionally.

And, because of their weird system of making the closet more transparent, it can also be really confusing to us as an audience, because of the whole 2012/2013 thing, because the way they handled their sexuality has had a profound effect on how the audience sees them. And, in that sense, not directly saying that, "whatever we said during that time was bullshit", it kind of does make the audience a lot more wary of how they approach things that Dan and Phil say, and since coming out is an inherently social thing, these blurred lines make the whole process extremely confusing.

Basically, even if they aren't closeted in a traditional way, they aren't out in a traditional way, either, and the closest word we have for their weird state is "closeted", or if we're being kinder, "in a glass closet".

Again, I have to say that Dan and Phil don't have to give us any details about their personal life. But, since they are public figures, this also translates to the audience coming up with their own explanations and conclusions for whatever the hell is going on.
Just trying to spread the Dangirl agenda
DatCog
blobfish

It's not the Horse Prince!
/fɪl lɛstɚ/
sad dimple

It wasn't my horse prince but it was still very enjoyable. There were a couple of moments I had to replay because I thought they were so funny (Dan says spies instead of flies and then the dun dun dun zooming in on their faces comes to mind). Also I really loved how all of the sexual ones were given to Phil. So fricking funny.

I will have to rewatch this one! I really enjoyed it. (I didn't like that Dan was wearing the doge t-shirt and not something stylish but oh well)
I am always on Phil Lester's side
malday
emo goose

DatCog wrote:It's not the Horse Prince!
This is much better! it was fun to watch.
but i hope people don't over analyze the answers they gave, especially Phil's answers.
Last edited by malday on Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

DatCog wrote:It's not the Horse Prince!
I'm so sad no horse prince, but this was... something! I never thought I'd heard Phil talking about having (or not having) sex with a monkey

Also I didn't think it felt like 13 mins at all! I was entertained by this video completely.
gnostic
stress mushroom

So is anyone gonna comment wtf is happening to DAPG channel? Is this some sort of joke I am missing?
Just here for the marketing skills
kattsand
smol bean

"Punch me daddy"

"I guess that's why" lmfao
hannah
butt chair

Phil wrote:Spoon the monkey, and watch some Game of Thrones, and then go to bed, separate rooms.
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

i liked that!

the questions could have been a bit more harder for my likings (i think these sort of questions are the most interesting when your first impulse is neither), but the #bants were on point and i'll award it with special "phil tells dan to shut tf up" points. what even was dan's point for the last question with spooning the monkey and platonic/romantic kisses i think most people who picked phil's answer assumed that they'd be able to just keep it as a pet while having to incorporate it in your daily life a lot, and i doubt anybody else's mind went where dan's was going.

i got the impression that they were genuinely having fun which made it fun to watch, and i thought that their interactions had a nice atmosphere with their dramatic readings of the questions and "would you really" teasing.

i kind of wish they'd edited the fire question out, though. i mean, if you're going to answer it seriously, it's a tough one -- i don't think it'd be weird to say that you'd probably save yourself first (it's what all rules of fire safety tell you after all). dan resorting to "everyone will be overinterpreting this in any case, so i'll give the people what they want" is completely understandable (and yes it's one of these things people will make a bigger deal of than there is) but also gave me the impression that he was genuinely uncomfortable answering it.
thank's you were great
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i liked this video! it was funny and entertaining. would watch again! :D
:transheart:
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

Wow is this video the first time outside the Sims series that Phil has swore on the gaming channel and it hasn't been censored?
:D
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

gnostic wrote:So is anyone gonna comment wtf is happening to DAPG channel? Is this some sort of joke I am missing?
Can you be more specific?

I for one really needed that video. I had a crappy morning.

Ok, I know we aren't supposed to over analyze, but someone tell me I'm crazy. at around 6:26 when phil asks if the phil/fernando novel is dan's next book he then gives the camera the guilty 'whoops did I say something I shouldn't look' that can be seen in previous videos when they mentioned tatinof references or other secrets and we had no idea until after the fact. Are the other youtubers still getting book deals after their initial two? IDK it just struck me as an od look to have after saying that.
gnostic
stress mushroom

Artdefines06 wrote:
gnostic wrote:So is anyone gonna comment wtf is happening to DAPG channel? Is this some sort of joke I am missing?

Ok, I know we aren't supposed to over analyze, but someone tell me I'm crazy. at around 6:26 when phil asks if the phil/fernando novel is dan's next book he then gives the camera the guilty 'whoops did I say something I shouldn't look' that can be seen in previous videos when they mentioned tatinof references or other secrets and we had no idea until after the fact. Are the other youtubers still getting book deals after their initial two? IDK it just struck me as an od look to have after saying that.
This is what their channel looks like for me right now

EDIT: http://imgur.com/J1oLQCr because embedding didn't work
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

gnostic wrote:
Artdefines06 wrote:

That isn't the real DAPG it's one of numerous scam accounts
:D
gnostic
stress mushroom

SexyTrashCan wrote:
gnostic wrote:
Artdefines06 wrote:

That isn't the real DAPG it's one of numerous scam accounts
Ah, right. How silly of me. Will leave it up as evidence of my shame.
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

Artdefines06, seeing your last post over your signature tells me that they've already picked up on that idea and are currently busy documenting everything which has happened so far so that they can publish it in 2047

jokes aside, i didn't catch up on that look but i'll watch out for it when i rewatch the video. i'd be really surprised if they were working on another book though -- i couldn't even come up with a single guess what it'd be about. i mean, phil could be writing his debut thriller, but...
thank's you were great
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late

lurker wrote:Artdefines06, seeing your last post over your signature tells me that they've already picked up on that idea and are currently busy documenting everything which has happened so far so that they can publish it in 2047

jokes aside, i didn't catch up on that look but i'll watch out for it when i rewatch the video. i'd be really surprised if they were working on another book though -- i couldn't even come up with a single guess what it'd be about. i mean, phil could be writing his debut thriller, but...
I would love separate books about their individual views on the world. Give me a weird kooky book by phil about whatever his brain wants to write about that day - short stories or something. From Dan I really want a book about being being awkward and relatable and trying to fit in a society that values extraverts and confidence. (Technically I am already reading that but its very formal and academic, I want a silly book pls.)

Or a joint book about how to keep an audience interested in you for ten years+. I don't believe the idea that this just naturally happened. I don't call what they do queerbaiting, but I am sure they discuss every aspect of what they present to their audience and are very aware of how they are perceived.
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

Artdefines06 wrote:
lurker wrote:Artdefines06, seeing your last post over your signature tells me that they've already picked up on that idea and are currently busy documenting everything which has happened so far so that they can publish it in 2047

I would love separate books about their individual views on the world. Give me a weird kooky book by phil about whatever his brain wants to write about that day - short stories or something. From Dan I really want a book about being being awkward and relatable and trying to fit in a society that values extraverts and confidence. (Technically I am already reading that but its very formal and academic, I want a silly book pls.)

Or a joint book about how to keep an audience interested in you for ten years+. I don't believe the idea that this just naturally happened. I don't call what they do queerbaiting, but I am sure they discuss every aspect of what they present to their audience and are very aware of how they are perceived.

as much as i love them, i think id find individual books like that to be rather cringe ngl. itd be like the clear difference between their more natural personalities and their manufactured on brand personas but exaggerated to unbearable levels, which would just make it even more synthetic than their 'interactions' in dapgo or tabinof
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late

Ah, true. I don't want a danisnotonfire book or an Amazing phil book. I want a Dan Howell book and a Phil Lester book.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

I really enjoyed that gaming vid, made me smile and that was all I asked for. Plus we did get some things to analyze later on.

I for one would be more than happy if they aren't writing anymore books for the foreseeable future.
malday
emo goose

hannah wrote:
Phil wrote:Spoon the monkey, and watch some Game of Thrones, and then go to bed, separate rooms.
don't
i mean do, this is what the forum is for but
don't!
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

That wasn't my favourite tbh, I'm a bit tired of these weird quizzy things and their bants didn't save it for me (in case I feel different next time they do one of these, I've had a cold all over Easter). Didn't really feel that banty or fun, but I did like Phil's adamant "No!" over and over at Dan trying to convince him about the monkey. Gotta love when Phil doesn't let Dan sway him (idk).
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

Artdefines06 wrote: Ok, I know we aren't supposed to over analyze, but someone tell me I'm crazy. at around 6:26 when phil asks if the phil/fernando novel is dan's next book he then gives the camera the guilty 'whoops did I say something I shouldn't look' that can be seen in previous videos when they mentioned tatinof references or other secrets and we had no idea until after the fact. Are the other youtubers still getting book deals after their initial two? IDK it just struck me as an od look to have after saying that.

i don't know if it was the same for all people under channelflip who had book deals, but I know with tomska (for example) he said he forgot that he signed onto a two book deal and he realize he had to start working on that second book sometime soon. So I'm assuming deppy did the same, which is why they both came less than a year of eachother, because they wanted it out of the way or something. So if something else came up, they wouldn't have to worry about getting caught up in a big project on top of that. Unless they signed another deal separately because they have a strong passion for writing yet another book, I don't know how likely it is they're writing again. Maybe in that moment in the video, phil was just remembering the past experiences with book writing (or how so 'lovely' everyone took that book announcement at first). or as you've suggested before,a book in the way future, who really knows! They did say no books to write this year or something along those lines at the start of the year, I do remember that. who really knows with these guys though.
That out of the way, I did really like the gaming video today. I wasn't actually expecting to laugh that much at the video when I saw the title!!
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

What Would You Do If... timestamps

:37 - Brown or black? (It looks black to me.)
1:00 - Warning from Dan not to judge them based on the answers.
1:19 - Illegal firearm question; Phil immediately spins a scenario around the question instead of just answering it.
2:37 - "We don't have pet, stop rubbing it in, game."
2:43 - Phil turns the question from a vague 'other people' into it being a scenario where Dan has to save him or a kitten. Lots of looking at Dan and not at the screen.
2:55 - "Because the internet is watching, I have to say I'd save everybody but me." Dan says through clenched teeth, returning the phrasing back to the vague not-Phil setup.
3:18 - What would Phil do if he could stop time? "I'd draw on everyone's faces. That's always where my mind goes with that one."
3:31 - Phil got about five hours of sleep the night before.
3:36 - Phil asks Dan "What is a pervy stuff?" and gets a Look in return.
3:47 - Phil laughing when Dan says "As long as you don't leave a trace."
3:48 - Turns out Phil was thinking about going into locker rooms. Hard on the gender neutral now and throughout the whole video.
3:56 - Dan cuts him off on grounds of Phil incriminating himself.
4:22 - Dan confirming Phil would pick the 'pervy stuff' option while Phil says out loud he'd pick the third one.
4:40 - Phil making 'do pervy stuff' an option for Dan's next question. He was very amused by that, apparently?
5:02 - Sewer question. Would Phil lick peanut butter off a hobo's foot? Again gender neutral, not that I'm sure it matters for this question. I kept expecting some kind of innuendo about foot licking but they kept it tame.
5:47 - Question about best friend passing away and being friends with their twins instead.
6:08 - Phil shaking Dan slightly.
6:31 - "Is that your next book?"
6:45 - Question about shitting.
7:04 - Phil gives an elaborate situation as a response again.
7:41 - "Daniel Trump" - Dan would bring chaos to the people but would like to think he'd run the country for the greater good.
8:02 - "Phillu" "Yassu"
8:18 - Phil would curl up in a ball and cry if he got put inside the ring during a fight.
8:35 - If Dan became a spider he would live a spider life. I mean, who doesn't want to be spider.
9:03 - Crawling on people and exploring the world sounds like crawling on their bodies, according to Dan.
9:30 - Dan points out you can explore the world as a human. My bank account disagrees, but okay.
9:48 - Question about space. Dan reads them backwards for optimal question reading climax material.
10:04 - Phil doesn't believe 'have an orgasm' is a potential answer and checks for himself.
10:11 - Phil is sure people have done that before.
10:14 - "Hundred percent."
10:21 - They're still thinking about it. I'm guessing they revisited that conversation later.
10:40 - What would Dan do if he became a god?
11:03 - Dan would incinerate the world.
11:05 - Phil: "What? You're gonna incinerate me?"
11:20 - Monkey question. Oh buddy.
11:27 - "Have sex with the monkey once a month." Followed by immediate strong 'no' from Phil on having sex with the monkey once a month.
11:31 - "Have a loving, intimate non-sexual relationship"
Phil: Yes.
Dan: Spooning and kissing.
Phil: I would spoon a monkey for sure.
Dan: Kiss? Marry?
Phil: (stuttering) Ki- Ma- Kiss- I didn't say kiss.
Dan: That's non-sexual. It could be like a friendly kiss. Romantic one.
11:52 - "Marry it and become like any married couple" Dan immediately relates married to less happy than the non-sexual relationship or the monthly sexual one, and also infers that if you pick a loving but non-sexual relationship there won't be anyone else in your life.
Dan: "That could have a lot of drama and tears. You'd fight, non-aggressively. Or you- you couldn't have anyone else in your life if you had this relationshp. Or just once a month, spank the monkey. But then you get to live a normal life."
12:10 - Phil starts to try and cut Dan off in a very frustrated, slightly belligerant way. Dan continues pushing Phil to pick the sex once a month one.
12:26 - "I would spoon the monkey and watch some Game of Thrones and then go to bed in separate beds."
12:40 - "No monkey sex." Firm response from Phil.