Dan & Phil Part 42: lying makes you go to hell

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
gnostic
stress mushroom

papierklemmen wrote:
gnostic wrote:
You know how I go on and on about how some random subjective bullshit like "no one looks at each other like that" can't be treated as serious "evidence" in phan debate?

Apparently I am a giant hypocrite, cause I will fall prey for it myself, even if the matter of pushing me another 3 per cent down the cynicism ladder :)
oh no, et tu brute :sobs:

i didn't find the video particularly flirty, i thought they were really hyper and trying to make fetch happen make the episode seem more interesting that it was because lbr nothing was really happening. i applaud them though, because the sims events can be a hit or miss and you have to work with what you get. phil seemed highly caffenated.
Don't worry gurl, I am still 82 % in "y'all tripping" camp

The whole discussion of displays of dominane makes me :? as to how differently I see everything but it would probably be unprofessional to weigh in based just on what we see in curated videos
Just here for the marketing skills
jhamba
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her

obliviongrace wrote:The discussion of the lean-in behavior being a move of dominance is very interesting to me! I'm not sure what I think, but I do agree that Phil not moving farther away (or "backing down") was sort of a win for him. Sometimes I feel as though, in this era of being more "open" with flirty behavior, dnp will playfully push each other to see how far they'll go. I think Dan probably expected Phil to back away more. (Or maybe not, who knows).
I don't think the whole "display of dominance" thing is about winning and losing. Social interactions are a lot more nuanced than that. It was just an interesting moment for me. I mean, if we're talking winning and losing here, Phil clearly won, because he got his way, not because he didn't react to Dan. I just think it's fascinating that Dan has these instincts, since he seems like such a nice, non violent person (which he probably is, these things mean very little in the larger scope of things).

I'm more interested in this moment because I'm like, "would Phil have kissed him in this moment if they weren't on camera?" , because, honestly, flipping the game (from dominance to flirtation) seems like something Phil would find fun (so would dan, probably).

Also, I want to say that I agree with 000dia000 about it being a deliberate moment, but to get a reaction out of Phil, rather than it being something totally unnatural that they're doing for fanservice.
LeftHandedism wrote:I don't want to say "control" or "dominance"
yeah, I kind of hate those words, too? But they're the technical term for what is going on (which sucks, because social interactions are a lot more nuanced than that, and you'd think psychologists would get that)
Just trying to spread the Dangirl agenda
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

captainspacecoat wrote:
lost686girl wrote:dan's "mr. steal your man" at 9:22 was very telling

you have to want/have a man in order for someone to steal him
That stood out to me too, I've only ever heard it as "mr. steal yo' girl" so I thought it was interesting that he didn't default to heteronormativity and his instinct was to assume the guy (was it Emiliano? can't remember) would be seducing men rather than women.
^^^I was going to point this out yesterday but at the time it seemed too much of a reach
:D
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

missemma wrote:
DatCog wrote:
So Dan is still in the UK which means Phil is more than likely here too so why couldn't he do a liveshow on Thursday? #movingconfirmed (joking, kinda).
or they've scheduled their tweets (which might explain why dan didn't rt the sims one too) to further obscure what they're currently doing / where they are right now
thank's you were great
DatCog
blobfish

I think there might be some scheduling of tweets going on these past few days, although Dan was online yesterday evening as he replied to people a few times within a minute or two of his tweet. He said he was waiting for a bus when the incident happened...might not have been a London bus though
JustMe
living flop
Pronouns: She/her

obliviongrace wrote:The discussion of the lean-in behavior being a move of dominance is very interesting to me! I'm not sure what I think, but I do agree that Phil not moving farther away (or "backing down") was sort of a win for him. Sometimes I feel as though, in this era of being more "open" with flirty behavior, dnp will playfully push each other to see how far they'll go. I think Dan probably expected Phil to back away more. (Or maybe not, who knows).
I personally think it's an extension of Dan's 'Really?? Are you being serious rn??' face/gesture where he leans in but without the hand movement. You can see it happen multiple times in this video:

Could be that this is just his (previously) more private version of his 'this guy' face that he now feels comfortable enough with on video(?)
~ I'll be bold as well as strong and use my head alongside my heart ~
onetruetrash
blobfish

I don't know where else to post this, but I found it interesting. At the time of the interview, Dan only had a tenth of his current subscribers. It probably wasn't weird at the time, but as a new Phantom member, it was kind of odd to see Phil only get a brief mention.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/alex-pe ... 69948.html
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

onetruetrash wrote:I don't know where else to post this, but I found it interesting. At the time of the interview, Dan only had a tenth of his current subscribers. It probably wasn't weird at the time, but as a new Phantom member, it was kind of odd to see Phil only get a brief mention.

Yeah I find it interesting how Dan has changed over the years and how different a similar interview would go now. Honestly it really wasn't odd at the time for Phil not to get mentioned much and only when prompted
:D
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

onetruetrash wrote:I don't know where else to post this, but I found it interesting. At the time of the interview, Dan only had a tenth of his current subscribers. It probably wasn't weird at the time, but as a new Phantom member, it was kind of odd to see Phil only get a brief mention.

2012!dan and delia smith humour its too much
momoroki
glabella

Y'all are killing me with the body language analysis - their flirting is too ! cute! Lol I thought after a week's break from idb my trashiness would have been toned down a bit but nope, I'm still a demon. That sims video was so cute, although I am V Impatient for Dab to become a child. Like others have pointed out the "Mr. Steal Yo Man" thing definitely stood out to me (also am I imagining Dan cheekily glancing at the camera after that? My have been known to distort my memory).
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

jhamba wrote:
yeah, I kind of hate those words, too? But they're the technical term for what is going on (which sucks, because social interactions are a lot more nuanced than that, and you'd think psychologists would get that)
Well, yes, and then we all run into trouble because the technical meanings and the general meanings can be so very different. And we can really get into trouble if we want to start talking in terms of "top" and "bottom".
gnostic wrote: The whole discussion of displays of dominane makes me :? as to how differently I see everything but it would probably be unprofessional to weigh in based just on what we see in curated videos
Have you shared your profession on this forum? While I believe everyone's reactions to what they see are completely valid, and sharing our feelings is what a gossip forum is all about , I tend to side-eye our collective "analysis". :sideeye:

Which is why I tend to try to draw the conversation back to words, since then as a linguist I can pretend to be professional in my analysis.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
obliviongrace
*editing tips*

jhamba wrote: I don't think the whole "display of dominance" thing is about winning and losing. Social interactions are a lot more nuanced than that. It was just an interesting moment for me. I mean, if we're talking winning and losing here, Phil clearly won, because he got his way, not because he didn't react to Dan. I just think it's fascinating that Dan has these instincts, since he seems like such a nice, non violent person (which he probably is, these things mean very little in the larger scope of things).
Ah, I understand what you're saying. I think I initially misunderstood what was meant by dominance when the conversation began (and it is also kind of an ick word). I agree with you, and I also like what was said about it being a move to get a reaction out of Phil more so than "fanservice" for the audience.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

theories on dan not retweeting the gaming video from yesterday:

- he went home to see his parents before they travel for the next month
- he realized they get more traction out of videos if one of them tweets it and the next day the other retweets it
- phan are currently phighting; divorce imminent
- he was protesting phil's blatant sexual objectification of bob pancakes
- he was on a date with secret girlfriend (throwback to danhasagf) and ended up lasting overnight (bow chicka wow wow) and his phone died
- they are already on vacation and dan considers his obligation to deal with fans officially on pause. phil picks up the slack because he realizes it's less work in the long run to feed the beast crumbs to keep it satiated than starve it completely. (dan just thinks starvation is what we deserve.) (so phil had to wait until he could steal dan's phone to rt it)
- the merging is complete; dan and phil are one person now. they will just alternate which twitter account they use.
- dan was a very naughty boy and phil wouldn't untie him from the bed (bc, sexy)
- dan was a very naughty boy and phil wouldn't untie him from the bed (bc, dan finished off the cereal, and you don't mess with phil lester's mother effing cereal)
- he was been busy product testing their new line of candles
jhamba
procrastinator

alittledizzy wrote:theories on dan not retweeting the gaming video from yesterday:

- he realized they get more traction out of videos if one of them tweets it and the next day the other retweets it
- he was on a date with secret girlfriend (throwback to danhasagf) and ended up lasting overnight (bow chicka wow wow) and his phone died
- they are already on vacation and dan considers his obligation to deal with fans officially on pause. phil picks up the slack because he realizes it's less work in the long run to feed the beast crumbs to keep it satiated than starve it completely. (dan just thinks starvation is what we deserve.) (so phil had to wait until he could steal dan's phone to rt it)
- the merging is complete; dan and phil are one person now. they will just alternate which twitter account they use.
- dan was a very naughty boy and phil wouldn't untie him from the bed (bc, sexy)
- dan was a very naughty boy and phil wouldn't untie him from the bed (bc, dan finished off the cereal, and you don't mess with phil lester's mother effing cereal)
bolded the ones I think are most likely
jhamba
procrastinator

alittledizzy wrote:theories on dan not retweeting the gaming video from yesterday:

bolded the ones I think are most likely
gnostic
stress mushroom

LeftHandedism wrote:
jhamba wrote:
Well, yes, and then we all run into trouble because the technical meanings and the general meanings can be so very different. And we can really get into trouble if we want to start talking in terms of "top" and "bottom".
gnostic wrote: The whole discussion of displays of dominane makes me :? as to how differently I see everything but it would probably be unprofessional to weigh in based just on what we see in curated videos
Have you shared your profession on this forum? While I believe everyone's reactions to what they see are completely valid, and sharing our feelings is what a gossip forum is all about , I tend to side-eye our collective "analysis". :sideeye:

Which is why I tend to try to draw the conversation back to words, since then as a linguist I can pretend to be professional in my analysis.
I am a lawyer by trade, but (full disclosure hope no one will stalk my IP) let's just say I am very much a part of BDSM community, which is why I tend to draw immediate associations with the words "dominance" and other similar whenever this topic arises here in connection with Deppy. I once wrote an angry essay on tumblr on the subject and got anon hate for days lol

*edited for offtopic
000dia000
emo goose

gnostic wrote:
LeftHandedism wrote:
jhamba wrote:

I am a lawyer by trade, but (full disclosure hope no one will stalk my IP) let's just say I am very much a part of BDSM community, which is why I tend to draw immediate associations with the words "dominance" and other similar whenever this topic arises here in connection with Deppy. I once wrote an angry essay on tumblr on the subject and got anon hate for days lol

*edited for offtopic
I kind of want to see that essay
Also, I don't think that the use of the phrase "dominance" was referring to their personal relationships as being sub/Dom, nobody was assuming Dan!Tops from this. Instead (well what I was referring to) was a display of dominance in this instance, it does not reflect their entire relationship and is only a matter-of-fact observance rather than an analysis. In regards to the use of the words like "dominance", while it does have bdsm connotations, that doesn't automatically mean it is unsuitable for describing the situation.
:cactus:
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

And....we think that robotic food tweets are a strong indication of traveling, right?
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

LeftHandedism wrote:And....we think that robotic food tweets are a strong indication of traveling, right?

seems v much like a standardspontaneousd/ptweet.png to me, which again supports the twitter queue idea
gnostic
stress mushroom

000dia000 wrote:
gnostic wrote:
LeftHandedism wrote:

*edited for offtopic
I kind of want to see that essay
Also, I don't think that the use of the phrase "dominance" was referring to their personal relationships as being sub/Dom, nobody was assuming Dan!Tops from this. Instead (well what I was referring to) was a display of dominance in this instance, it does not reflect their entire relationship and is only a matter-of-fact observance rather than an analysis. In regards to the use of the words like "dominance", while it does have bdsm connotations, that doesn't automatically mean it is unsuitable for describing the situation.
Yeah I kind of realised it belatedly that it was "dominance" in a very different sense. I mean I still wouldn't exactly use it, to me that gesture is more extension of Dan's "THAT GUY" face as JustMe posted above, but definetely not what came to my mind originally

And i will try to dig it up lol, but it was less me psychoanalysing Dan and Phil's relationship with my mad BDSM / legal psychology skillz and more angrily telling people to stop assuming stuff they didn't know shit about, in relation to people they didn't know shit about (aka that time Tumblr posted one too many excited "meta" posts about Dan and Phil power dynamics on the basis of gaming videos and got under my skin)
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

cherrybomb3 wrote:
LeftHandedism wrote:And....we think that robotic food tweets are a strong indication of traveling, right?

seems v much like a standardspontaneousd/ptweet.png to me, which again supports the twitter queue idea
I don't think it is a queue (unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by queue) as he has been replying to people everytime he tweets. But that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't traveling now.
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
000dia000
emo goose

gnostic wrote: And i will try to dig it up lol, but it was less me psychoanalysing Dan and Phil's relationship with my mad BDSM / legal psychology skillz and more angrily telling people to stop assuming stuff they didn't know shit about, in relation to people they didn't know shit about (aka that time Tumblr posted one too many excited "meta" posts about Dan and Phil power dynamics on the basis of gaming videos and got under my skin)
Ugh. Just assumptions and the sexualization of weird and aggressive Daddy Phil needs it's own stop-petition (no offence to Daddy!Phil if you're reading this lmao). But yeah, the way these relationships/concepts/terms are romanticized without any mature understanding of them and blindly searching for them in their behaviour even though cough cough they're not out/confirmed. I think that it's some peoples inability to distinguish real life and fiction, I've legit seen people say "What if Dan came out as a top???" as if 1. He would in their DREAMS and 2. As if it's their business. While some aspects of this is practised in fan fiction (creative liberties and all that) phans using bottom!Dan as the butt of the joke (sorry) is just getting further and further away from fact. There's something kind of unnerving about people joking about people/lifestyles that they have no part of, have no understanding of, and like to think deppy DO, even though we don't really know them.
:cactus:
momoroki
glabella

000dia000 wrote: Ugh. Just assumptions and the sexualization of weird and aggressive Daddy Phil needs it's own stop-petition (no offence to Daddy!Phil if you're reading this lmao). But yeah, the way these relationships/concepts/terms are romanticized without any mature understanding of them and blindly searching for them in their behaviour even though cough cough they're not out/confirmed. I think that it's some peoples inability to distinguish real life and fiction, I've legit seen people say "What if Dan came out as a top???" as if 1. He would in their DREAMS and 2. As if it's their business. While some aspects of this is practised in fan fiction (creative liberties and all that) phans using bottom!Dan as the butt of the joke (sorry) is just getting further and further away from fact. There's something kind of unnerving about people joking about people/lifestyles that they have no part of, have no understanding of, and like to think deppy DO, even though we don't really know them.
Agreed. I was just watching oqua's whiny dan compilation (what a legend, that video is the reason I'm alive today tbh) and the comments were like "omg dan is such a submissive sugar baby" "what a whiny bitch" "phil is Daddy Af what a Dom" and like, okay. Cool. It's not like it's directed at them, so whatever. But at the same time seeing Phil so steadily characterised as this Hot Dom and in turn infantilising Dan makes me so uncomfortable. It's a completely distorted view of how same sex relationships work. I'm not criticising the inclusion of bottom!Dan in fanfiction or anything like that, but the overall phandom interpretation of Dan being this completely submissive bottom is :////. It's like this weird thing of Dan = feminine = BOTTOM = so Phil = DOM AF and it's completely demeaning to them both.
lost686girl
living flop

i love fan fic and i do like to hypothesize about what d&p do in the bedroom...but honestly none of us can assume just from watching them on youtube what they are like...if that was the case then sex with anyone would be a lot less fun. mystery is everything lol
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

[Instagram]https://www.instagram.com/p/BSs0kpmhcCM/[/Instagram]
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSs0kpmhcCM/

They're in Singapore already. Not sure if it's okay to post, but it's been an hour already so they might not be in the place anymore. In case they still are, can the mods please delete this post? Thanks.

Edit: I can't get the pic to show. :'( Sorry.
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?