Dan & Phil Part 42: lying makes you go to hell

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

SquishPhan wrote:
IckleMissMayhem wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:
IckleMissMayhem wrote:Image

I feel like a video with anyone giving this little shit guy a trick chilli sweet might be mildly underwhelming...
I do think it makes a difference whether you are expecting it or not. If you think you are getting something sweet, but it is hot instead then I do think that is going to cause a reaction.
Phil giving sweets away? I think he may guess something's up...
That is true, if I were Dan I would be a bit suspicious.
Are you meaning to imply that Mr Phil Trash Number One doesn't watch every video upon (or before) upload? Of course he'd be suspicious, but probably play along.

I'm with Rizzo, Phil is clearly the Cowardly Lion and Dan the Tin Man
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

jesuisunèléve wrote:In regards to Deppy moving:

It could be they want to privatize their lives by not recording in their home anymore. Remember the office Brother Martyn was checking the soundproofing in?

-OR-
They could be moving apart and using their new office space as a recording studio, that way they can keep their separate homes private

-OR-
They are moving together and are finally giving up on the facade they don't share a bedroom/bed And they can live together in peace without being stalked.
Fourth option:

They are moving together, but not giving up a facade. They will haru the fact that they're getting a house/condo/etc together and just share general moving excitement, still have separate bedrooms that function as separate filming spaces, and anyone convinced they are together will still be convinced while anyone who has doubts will still have doubts.
blackdenim
procrastinator

alittledizzy wrote:

It could be they want to privatize their lives by not recording in their home anymore. Remember the office Brother Martyn was checking the soundproofing in?

-OR-
They could be moving apart and using their new office space as a recording studio, that way they can keep their separate homes private

-OR-
They are moving together and are finally giving up on the facade they don't share a bedroom/bed And they can live together in peace without being stalked.
Fourth option:

They are moving together, but not giving up a facade. They will haru the fact that they're getting a house/condo/etc together and just share general moving excitement, still have separate bedrooms that function as separate filming spaces, and anyone convinced they are together will still be convinced while anyone who has doubts will still have doubts.
This is the most likely option IMO. Although as someone who has doubts about their relationship status, I think if they move in together I'll probably do an about turn and be convinced - particularly if it's obvious they bought the house (they're decorating, etc) because I can't see any reason for 2 friends in their mid 20s/early 30s to buy a house together if they have enough money to buy separately.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

blackdenim wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:

-OR-

-OR-
Fourth option:

This is the most likely option IMO. Although as someone who has doubts about their relationship status, I think if they move in together I'll probably do an about turn and be convinced - particularly if it's obvious they bought the house (they're decorating, etc) because I can't see any reason for 2 friends in their mid 20s/early 30s to buy a house together if they have enough money to buy separately.
Yeah I can see that having potential to sway a lot of people, it is a huge commitment. But I think there's a big group of people who constantly think they have the bar set at a certain place and it ends up moving back. Like, so many people said that if Dan went with Phil to Isle of Man that would be it for them but I think for some as long as it's not a concrete announcement/coming out the doubts will continue to creep back in even once the thing that was totally convinced them has come and gone. Which tbh I sort of understand, deppy definitely have a way at this point of pulling off major couple moves in such a casual fashion that no one can point to anything as definitive proof, they always inject some room for other explanation.

It's a win/win for deppy, they can do these things like Dan going on vacation with Phil's family and going to see Phil's family on Phil's bday or even potentially moving house together and still have a faithful subsect of fans staunchly defending how it doesn't mean anything. Then the doubt has a domino effect on people who realized that once the Big Event that was where their bar as set happened and deppy still weren't out, still used words like 'friend', still had essentially the same behavior as before, that maybe it didn't mean anything after all.

(and ftr I'm not saying there's anything wrong with people who fall into that category, it's a valid opinion)
blackdenim
procrastinator

alittledizzy wrote:
Yeah I can see that having potential to sway a lot of people, it is a huge commitment. But I think there's a big group of people who constantly think they have the bar set at a certain place and it ends up moving back. Like, so many people said that if Dan went with Phil to Isle of Man that would be it for them but I think for some as long as it's not a concrete announcement/coming out the doubts will continue to creep back in even once the thing that was totally convinced them has come and gone. Which tbh I sort of understand, deppy definitely have a way at this point of pulling off major couple moves in such a casual fashion that no one can point to anything as definitive proof, they always inject some room for other explanation.

It's a win/win for deppy, they can do these things like Dan going on vacation with Phil's family and going to see Phil's family on Phil's bday or even potentially moving house together and still have a faithful subsect of fans staunchly defending how it doesn't mean anything. Then the doubt has a domino effect on people who realized that once the Big Event that was where their bar as set happened and deppy still weren't out, still used words like 'friend', still had essentially the same behavior as before, that maybe it didn't mean anything after all.

(and ftr I'm not saying there's anything wrong with people who fall into that category, it's a valid opinion)
Yeah I can see that! Although I think people who keep pushing their bar higher might just really not want to believe they're in a relationship.

For me personally as an agnostic, I've never thought that going to visit each other's family (especially on a big birthday)/going on each other's family holiday is a particularly coupley thing to start with - It shows me that neither of them have secret partners stashed away to come along with them on those types of trips, but it doesn't necessarily prove their relationship status because although couples do go on family trips together, it's also a thing you would bring a friend to if you were single, so you have someone to hang with while your parents are off together and your brother is with his girlfriend. So it's kind of applicable to either situation for me - others might feel differently of course.

Moving into a bought house together is different, it seems like a hard line for me, and I would assume others? If they move together and don't specifically say 'we're renting again' with a really plausible reason as to why they're renting together despite being able to afford to buy separately, I will assume they've bought a house together and I'll therefore assume they're a couple.
Phantasy
woodland creature

Alternate theory... they are staying put in their current place, but moving some of their stuff to decorate a studio space at the new IRL Digital office. I think they're too lazy to travel anywhere to film their regular videos, but maybe a proper space where they can record podcasts? I've been thinking for a while now the next big project for them is to get into podcasting and launch a sort of Dan & Phil Radio.
obliviongrace
*editing tips*

alittledizzy wrote:Fourth option:

I think this is the option that seems most likely to me. Because they definitely value their privacy so much, and I am someone who can't see them ever verbally confirming a relationship. I think haru-ing it is the Dan and Phil way.

Which leads me to something I've been wondering about recently - What is the history/origin of the haru pillow? I was not active in the phandom when that happened. Is it that Dan bought the haru body pillow when they were in Japan, and put it in on his bed, but then whenever anyone asked about it he said he had no idea what they were talking about? I love the fact that "haru" has become a verb for not hiding yet not verbally confirming, and that we all understand what that means. I'm just curious how the origin of it came about.
Phantasy wrote:Alternate theory... they are staying put in their current place, but moving some of their stuff to decorate a studio space at the new IRL Digital office. I think they're too lazy to travel anywhere to film their regular videos, but maybe a proper space where they can record podcasts? I've been thinking for a while now the next big project for them is to get into podcasting and launch a sort of Dan & Phil Radio.
I think the reason I'm skeptical of anything involving them staying in their own place is that Dan's bedside tables were so bare?? Like, if just the painting was gone, I could see it being relocated to decorate a studio space for filming. But having bedside tables be totally bare feels so much like deconstructing a home to me.
DryCereal
koi pond

BisexualShoeMarriage wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:
IckleMissMayhem wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:

I feel like a video with anyone giving this little shit guy a trick chilli sweet might be mildly underwhelming...
I do think it makes a difference whether you are expecting it or not. If you think you are getting something sweet, but it is hot instead then I do think that is going to cause a reaction.
Are you meaning to imply that Mr Phil Trash Number One doesn't watch every video upon (or before) upload? Of course he'd be suspicious, but probably play along.

I'm with Rizzo, Phil is clearly the Cowardly Lion and Dan the Tin Man
No, in my implication I am choosing to give Mr Phil the benefit of the doubt and go with "he gave the trash the sweet before editing/showing him the vid/uploading"

Deffo Team Tin Man and Cowardly Lion. Cos no one else will go for my Dan=Elphaba, Phil=Glinda headcanon.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
DatCog
blobfish

Oh dear, poor Phil! Had to chuckle at PJ's response though :D
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

DatCog wrote: Oh dear, poor Phil! Had to chuckle at PJ's response though :D
Yikes!
:D
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

DatCog wrote:
Did they pack up the bottle opener already?
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
shoe
Moderator Emeritus

Catallena wrote:
DatCog wrote:
Did they pack up the bottle opener already?
... because it was in a box...
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

SquishPhan wrote:
IckleMissMayhem wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:

We can't have a discussion about Deppy eating bad/surprising flavored things without reference to one of my favorite Deppy videos, Stickaid. The tasting is in the first part, but you want to (re)watch both parts. How can these videos have so few views? You get 2010!phan with cuteness turned up to 11, and a marvelous example (in the second part) of how very gently Dan touches Phil like was noted in the Potato Prints video. (They actually pretty much touch each other all the time here.)

"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Lucyrg95
sofa crease

LeftHandedism wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:
IckleMissMayhem wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:

We can't have a discussion about Deppy eating bad/surprising flavored things without reference to one of my favorite Deppy videos, Stickaid. The tasting is in the first part, but you want to (re)watch both parts. How can these videos have so few views? You get 2010!phan with cuteness turned up to 11, and a marvelous example (in the second part) of how very gently Dan touches Phil like was noted in the Potato Prints video. (They actually pretty much touch each other all the time here.)

dans voice is giving me heart palpitations
lurker
janice from the shop

yay, my thread name suggestion was chosen!
IckleMissMayhem wrote:Deffo Team Tin Man and Cowardly Lion. Cos no one else will go for my Dan=Elphaba, Phil=Glinda headcanon.
you know i was about to post that yesterday but refrained from it. but tin man and cowardly lion is also great.

i feel like all of my recent posts start out with "this is technically off topic by now, but", but i wanted to comment on that bit in their joint ls where dan talks about his dinof ~creation process~. it had me roll my eyes a bit at first because i thought he was serious about the "philosophical concepts" that are apparently part of dinof videos, but he then made me laugh when he added something along the lines of "...no matter how crap the end product is". to me, that sounded not like self-depracation but rather like an acknowledgment that the "quality bar" is something that prolongs his creative process rather than something he actually holds the final videos against. idk, i found that interesting.

the moving speculations are amazing. whatever they're doing, i hope they're doing good with it (and manage to keep us guessing for a while longer). i tend to get a bit annoyed with moving talk if people get overly excited by the prospect of it because it's, as alittledizzy said, the "bar" they're currently setting as to what would confirm the nature of their relationship. it's a bit tiring imo -- if they move, then people will want to know whether it's an appartment (roommates) or a house (definitely in a relationship), but then it'll make a difference whether they rent the house (housemates) or bought it (definitely in a relationship!), and then all will be invalid unless they buy a dog. oh well, i guess measuring the nature of a relationship by means of that just bugs me in general. (this is not in response to the ongoing discussion here, though, more about the things i see on tumblr.)

i'll join the line of people who liked phil's new video. i think liked it better than the last two (definitely more than the dna one) -- it was light-hearted and made me laugh, so thanks phil.
shoe wrote:Are you meaning to imply that Mr Phil Trash Number One doesn't watch every video upon (or before) upload? Of course he'd be suspicious, but probably play along.
we don't know when phil's video and The Prankening happened, though -- phil could have made dan eat the bears before he edited the video.
thank's you were great
DatCog
blobfish

/fɪl lɛstɚ/
sad dimple

Why is Phil's duvet and pillows behind Dan in a pile? #movinggate
I am always on Phil Lester's side
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Ok, so why is Phil's bedding stuffed behind the sofa?

And, nice that Dan just drinks from the milk and sticks it back in the fridge. No pretense of caring about shared germs there!
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

bloody hell the bedding this bitches with their neverending hints and housebaiting they aint slick
DatCog
blobfish

LeftHandedism wrote:Ok, so why is Phil's bedding stuffed behind the sofa?
It looked like it was stuffed behind the red chair...which is in their office isn't it??
obliviongrace
*editing tips*

The return of the try new things branding makes me
canireally
smol bean

DatCog wrote:

love that Dan knows the 2 gummy bears rule
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

DatCog wrote:
LeftHandedism wrote:Ok, so why is Phil's bedding stuffed behind the sofa?
It looked like it was stuffed behind the red chair...which is in their office isn't it??
Isn't the office is also a guest bedroom as well? And isn't there a theory that for Phil's bedding to stay that bright over the years, he would've had to keep buying new bedding over the years. Meaning that's probably extra bedding for when guest stay over. maybe that's where they store their bedding when they don't have the sofa bed out/not filming? You don't stuff bedding behind a chair like that if you're moving?? It looks more like maybe someone was staying over and they needed to take the bed down in a hurry and just threw it behind the chair.
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

Oh my poor Dan
:D
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

that video was adorable omg. you can just see the moment when you realize dan fucked up lmao
:transheart: