Dan & Phil Part 42: lying makes you go to hell

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lost686girl
living flop

dan and phil's peers, doing a much better job lol. interesting the similarities between the couples ("stop eating the treats")

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

obliviongrace wrote:I found this video quite underwhelming, actually! I've thought a bit about why, and come up with some reasons:
1) It's not that it wasn't funny or entertaining, but it wasn't extraordinarily so. It was just...fine. And, based on past baking videos, I've come to think as baking videos as Big Funny videos where Big Things happen, and that didn't feel the case in this one.

2) We've been getting so many significant things/content recently, that perhaps this video no longer holds the weight that it once would have. There's too many things that have been happening (eg/ cute vacation photos, calm DAPG videos).

3) They seemed tired to me? I think because they were hardcore churning out all the content they needed while they were on vacation, this probably became less of a fun spontaneous time (like 2016 halloween baking) and more of a "People will like this, so let's get this done."
So won't be in the baking video hall of fame for me...which is totally fine! I still enjoyed it, but perhaps my own expectations tripped me up
I actually agree with all of these, but I don't think that it not being in the hall of fame detracted from it being a fun video for me. I think anything on the heels of Monster Pops was going to feel like a letdown, especially when you realize they're reusing a lot of the same visual gags and verbal jokes/innuendos.

But I think your last point is very accurate as well - if they filmed this video during a filming binge then it probably did feel more like work to them than something spontaneous and fun they're doing at three in the morning, like Monster Pops was. I imagine it's easier to fall back on formulaic main channel behavior (as established in previous baking videos) than come up with something new.
swofro
angel bean

Update: Anthony replied!

Phan who? Danthony is real.

don't mind me. Please carry on the bants
Love is forever
obliviongrace
*editing tips*

dianapml wrote: It was a very 'produced' video in a way for me? I felt like it was almost kind of a repetition of previous ones: the same jokes, the same reactions, etc etc. It didn't have the usual 'oh we are just seeing dan and phil being cute and funny' vibe but more the 'oh ok this is a baking video oh ok they are going to make that joke blablabla'.
I feel like I'm being very overcritical ahha, it wasn't a bad video, I just didn't love it as much as I love the other ones! I think also the fact that we have been having such great videos and moments recently makes this type of video which before seemed very important feel like just another one. I'm sure it was also because it was filmed more quickly than the others due to the Australia trip and why they looked more tired (for me at least).
Yes, I love this addition, especially the parts I've bolded. Baking videos have always relied on a certain structure (eg/ the what you will need section, Dan orgasming at the food, etc), and it could possibly be that these jokes have just become stale. Or it was a combination of a structure combined with a lack of energy that made it fall flat. I think the whole video felt very rushed to me, like it was moving too quickly.

And I don't think any of these observations are overly critical! As both you and I have said, it wasn't bad, it was fine. You phrased what I was trying to say much better - we've been spoiled. If anything, maybe DnP have succeeded in desensitizing us from their antics? And if that is a goal they've had with this progression of flirty behavior, then congrats to them I guess?

I saw someone mention that the beginning of the video felt weird. I think it's just become more notable that, on AP at least, they really don't do an intro anymore. Like, there's no "Here's Dan!" It is assumed as normal that Dan will sometimes appear with Phil on his channel, almost like it's partly a joint channel. We've talked about how they've stopped explaining each others roles as much, but especially starting with Pastel Edits IRL they've ceased to have any sort of introduction, the result of which has been an almost jolting start.

EDIT:
alittledizzy wrote:I actually agree with all of these, but I don't think that it not being in the hall of fame detracted from it being a fun video for me. I think anything on the heels of Monster Pops was going to feel like a letdown, especially when you realize they're reusing a lot of the same visual gags and verbal jokes/innuendos.
Ah yes, good point. I think that's what I meant by my expectations getting the best of me - I forgot to adjust for the inflation of meaning for Monster Pops. And I agree that it is a fun video- I am sure that if I step away from the video for a day and then watch it again, I will be able to appreciate it a lot more.
Ilovethemohyesido
living flop

I was surprised that they havve got new kitchenware. They always do their baking in their cereal bowl, and yes meringue requires other type of it but they had a whole set, not to mention measuring spoons, and others.
malday
emo goose

waiting for him to get roasted.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

The baking video gets a big thumbs up from me. I really enjoyed it but the baking was a massive fail. They were so bad, the worst baking so far haha!

I definitely noticed the toaster and coffee machine were gone and also the cupboards behind them are usually topped with loads of stuff, just more things to add to the big move of 2017.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
anime_is_not_cool
living flop

I totally get it that some of you found that underwhelming, but on the other hand it was really nice and fluffy and very easter-y. Might be just because after the last easter baking and watching it 3848 times, I've started to associate their baking background with this time of year

Also some parts were weirdly edited, kinda DAPCrafts-style? The fast part when they whipped especially. I think it's funny and even tho they have used that style quite a few times now in different videos (extra much on this I think) I'm not getting bored of it!

But okay, didn't Phil say they had given the wigs to the charity shop already??
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

They finally got proper cooking utensils. I am going to cry. Actual teaspoons! Proper mixing bowls! (They could could still use a rubber spatula, but I will take todays progress.)

I agree with the other assessments that feel like A: we get so much cute on a regular basis that the cute moments aren't as special anymore, especially the ones that keep getting repeated (feeding phil, nipple jokes, WHISK!, etc.)

I think what struck me the most was the lack of divide between phil content and dan content here. On amazingphil I am expecting a more sweet and pg vibe, especially on the easter videos, and this was almost more like a halloween video on dans channel. threw me off a little.

HOWEVER it was still cute. The amount of synchronicity was great. I would have liked a more relaxed vibe, but then everyone would complain they were tired, so I understand they feel the need to run around and shout and sing like manic pixies. Also, failing with something difficult like meringue is not as funny as failing with something basic like cupcakes.

Overall I think this is a nice addition to the "I'm sick and sad and tired" baking video playlist.
nephilimcat
woodland creature

alittledizzy wrote:
obliviongrace wrote:I found this video quite underwhelming, actually! I've thought a bit about why, and come up with some reasons:
1) It's not that it wasn't funny or entertaining, but it wasn't extraordinarily so. It was just...fine. And, based on past baking videos, I've come to think as baking videos as Big Funny videos where Big Things happen, and that didn't feel the case in this one.

2) We've been getting so many significant things/content recently, that perhaps this video no longer holds the weight that it once would have. There's too many things that have been happening (eg/ cute vacation photos, calm DAPG videos).

3) They seemed tired to me? I think because they were hardcore churning out all the content they needed while they were on vacation, this probably became less of a fun spontaneous time (like 2016 halloween baking) and more of a "People will like this, so let's get this done."
So won't be in the baking video hall of fame for me...which is totally fine! I still enjoyed it, but perhaps my own expectations tripped me up
I actually agree with all of these, but I don't think that it not being in the hall of fame detracted from it being a fun video for me. I think anything on the heels of Monster Pops was going to feel like a letdown, especially when you realize they're reusing a lot of the same visual gags and verbal jokes/innuendos.

But I think your last point is very accurate as well - if they filmed this video during a filming binge then it probably did feel more like work to them than something spontaneous and fun they're doing at three in the morning, like Monster Pops was. I imagine it's easier to fall back on formulaic main channel behavior (as established in previous baking videos) than come up with something new.
I agree with this, especially the bolded parts. I loved this video, I laughed and smiled a lot. It was great and I will definitely rewatch it. If I compare it to other baking videos, it's not as amazing, but compared to a lot of other videos, I still think it was great. I don't think it was underwhelming at all, despite it not being as "special" and spontaneous as other baking videos.

I also think that because they are being more comfortable lately, they can hardly shock us anymore. I think nothing would surprise us, unless they'd kiss or something, which I highly doubt will happen. The Monster Pops video started the whole post-baking universe, pretty difficult to top that. Which is also a good thing, I think.
pulvis et umbra sumus
secretagentphan
procrastinator

malday wrote: waiting for him to get roasted.
Ugh Gordon Ramsey is my queen I REALLY hope he replies
Edit: okay I know my demon phannie is showing but does anyone else find it super coupley that he said "OUR first attempt" to Gordon with no context.. idk... just me? Okay lmao
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

not sure if this is cute or a roast

i liked the baking video! i agree that they probably filmed this together with the rest of the stack so it didn't quite have the "it's probably 3 a.m. and we decided to film this 5 minutes ago" vibe (however accurate it is for any of the other ones), plus for me it competes against easter nests which is one of my all-time favourites, but it was cute, it was funny, and a complete mess. the best part was the rp'ing as print-outs of chickens imo i'm always torn a bit when their baking flops -- on one side, i'm desperate for them to do better, on the other hand, it's strangely uplifting to me.
thank's you were great
hopinglester
banned

*disgustingly using my own tweet ups*

About what we were saying regarding the kitchen looking more empty, I took screenshots to be sure and I totally think so. I was already so convinced that they are moving, but this made me be even more sure.
kalli
butt chair

Not that I expected anything they bake to be a success, especially once I saw that they made meringues, but I'm actually surprised at how bad they turned out. I mean, the clouds were decent and on par with what I pictured from them, but the rest was just...

Just thought I'd note the appearance of Dan's natural voice at 12:11 (A good clip to remember if there's ever a Dan's soft natural voice part 2, Oqua :thumb: )
So Phil's fursona is an otter?

Don't otters mate for life? And hold hands? What a romantic choice.
dontpanic
#relatable

Phil’s endcard is AmazingPhil, but Dan’s is DanielxDream. Re-branding confirmed

Very cute video, it’s even making me come out of idb hibernation and make some cheeky timestamps for my favorite bits. Definitely wasn't lifechanging but I needed something to make me smile today and this did a great job for that. Also I live for Dan in that outfit and hair so although I wouldn't complain if he ditched the flower crown, it's soooo big.

EASTER BAKING TIMESTAMPS: 2K17

1:18—Phil: “where’re you going?” whenever Phil teases Dan I die a little inside…Dan teasing Phil is usually fond/friendly, but when Phil teases Dan it just sounds like flirting just straight up flirting. I firmly believe Phil is an expert flirter and we just rarely get to see it because life is cruel.
I rest my case
3:48—“Stop attacking me!” Phil shouts, after lovingly attacking Dan’s face
4:10—when Phil makes “your mom” jokes Dan reacts all normal and #bant-y, but I’ve noticed when Dan makes mom jokes Phil gets low-key defensive. Ain’t no one gonna talk about Kath like that
5:26—Appreciate Phil bullying an egg yoke. APPRECIATE IT
6:18—Deppy speaking in their natural #soft voices. We don’t deserve this
7:44—
8:02—I 100% believe this is Dan’s usual, natural reaction to someone potentially messing up his hair
9:47—Dan’s singing and swaying his shoulder I have been mildly attracted to exactly two boys in my life, but in this moment Dan became the third
12:00—my single favorite moment in this whole video, I’m still waiting for their voiceover careers to take off
12:23—The way dan talks about arranging the display gives me life
12:40—Phil lies :tsk: Dan’s dungarees are not, in fact, size XXL, but are a size large according to the pastel edits video 5:31 mins in. Am I secretly Jeremy from CinemaSins? Scientists can’t tell.
12:52—I will never get tired of northern!Phil voice

momoroki literally I 100% agree, the blue wig needs to be destroyed.

Okay so I know it’s on Phil’s channel, but can anyone tell if Phil is the one who edited it? It sometimes gave off a “dan edit” vibe, but it might just be because they’ve completed the transformation into a single entity of #bants and honeymoon selfies
CallMeAyana wrote:
awsugar wrote:is it just me or does phil look taller than dan in most of the video?
Phil looks taller because Dan kept hunching over/leaning against the countertop... ._.
I'm kinda cringing at how the meringues turned out though becausd I wasn't used to see meringues like that... I usually see meringues as something more swirly? Like a neat swirl, so... yeah... :?
Other than that, great vid! Wasn't expecting this though. What did we do to deserve this?!?!

Yeah, Dan kept leaning back against the countertop adorably. Also Phil kept correcting his terrible horrible posture every once in a while (just to slouch back down again half a minute later) which makes him, like, 5 cm taller. I have terrible posture too but dude, Philly needs to work on this or else he’s going to turn 40 and it’s going to be 2 times worse. Thankfully he’s picked up jogging, which should help a bit. Dan’s posture is bad, too, but not nearly as bad. (Why am I spending so long talking about bad posture?)

re: meringues...you definitely don’t do shapes like what they did, they aren’t cookies. When you’re first learning you gotta make them like an aesthetic poop to ensure the texture's right. Although Dan’s clouds weren’t too bad for their first time, meringues are pretty difficult to make.

Also, 100% believe this vid’s gonna get age restricted, which for some dumb reason I find hilarious because barely any of Phil’s videos are.

TL;DR
although not my favorite baking vid, there were some pretty good bits in here, staring: Phil's expert flirting skills, Dan's pastel perfection, and Deppy's voiceover skills.

I give this vid a four inexpensive fireworks effect out of five
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

I don't know how but I'm still internally sceptical that somehow this has been hyped up and once they get back they'll continue living in the same flat.

:o Phil's fursona being an otter is a new development and oddly endearing
And thanks as always for the timestamps!
:D
shoe
Moderator Emeritus

Disclaimer: I still have a cold and may have misheard some things while I was blowing my nose.

Mouth friends – nohomohowell’s word for kissing
Dan is always an advert for dog food – furry and food kinks combined – dress up as a dog and eat your boyfriend
“let’s go all the way”
Excuse me Daniel, I thought you said Phil gave those wigs to the charity shop? Did you buy them back? Did you film this a month in advance? Did you LIE????
Wow where did they get a 4 pack of eggs? I’ve only ever seen them sold in sixes. (or 12s, or 20s)
“how do you get flour from corn” you grind up the corn into flour, what do you think wheat flour is?
They edited to prevent us from seeing Daniel’s face as Philip tweaked lemon like a nipple. I will be forever intrigued, which is exactly what they want from me. 2 disappointment points to Dan.
Dan’s list of inappropriate baking activities includes sniffing, licking, and tweaking
2:55 *waits for Dan to declare slapping an inappropriate baking activity* - 1 disappointment point to Dan
3:01 is this racist?
Adorable face squish is adorable
A terrifying 2-beaked duck is now Phil’s go-to furry play
“I’ll drop your mum’s utensil… on the door!” wtf does that even mean
Mixing bowls are good for making thigs less precarious
I feel like that’s more than one teaspoon of lemon
Yellow pink and blue are incidentally also the colours of the pansexual pride flag but I’m reading noting into this
Finishing up with some solid health advice. Yes, please do see a doctor if your nipples are bleeding. Also if you have balls, check them for lumps in the shower. If you have boobs, also check those for lumps.

Total 3 disappointment points to Dan. Could do better.
malday
emo goose

This vid seemed more natural to me than the monster pops one, it was probably underwhelming because they didn't scream and exaggerate all the jokes since they were going for the whole pastel soft vibe.
QuiteFriendly
drama llama

Thought the vid was cute and funny. I agree with malday that it seemed more natural.

I imaging they filmed it quite close to the DnPCrafts vid as Phil said he was still in that mode and he was a bit extra wierd in the beginning. Their shaved sides are kinda short too.

If they film this more than a week (say ten days) ago and already had their kitchen packed I assume they were in the new place by last weekend. (If they're moving, which I think is quite likely).
Last edited by QuiteFriendly on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lurker
janice from the shop

i just rewatched it and wanted to note that i only noticed now that dan says " it's DanielXDream, phil" and not "it's daniel extremephil"
thank's you were great
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

of course phil is an otter

a skinny, hairy gay man
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

anime_is_not_cool wrote:I totally get it that some of you found that underwhelming, but on the other hand it was really nice and fluffy and very easter-y. Might be just because after the last easter baking and watching it 3848 times, I've started to associate their baking background with this time of year

Also some parts were weirdly edited, kinda DAPCrafts-style? The fast part when they whipped especially. I think it's funny and even tho they have used that style quite a few times now in different videos (extra much on this I think) I'm not getting bored of it!

But okay, didn't Phil say they had given the wigs to the charity shop already??
I think Phil just said he gave the troll pastel wig that we never got to see but that Dan spoke about in his live show to charity.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

dianapml wrote: *disgustingly using my own tweet ups*

About what we were saying regarding the kitchen looking more empty, I took screenshots to be sure and I totally think so. I was already so convinced that they are moving, but this made me be even more sure.
I'm still not personally convinced. Mostly because 1.) it's a different angle as dans head is blocking where those baskets are and the cabinet is closed 2.) maybe they're just moving things around in the house, spring cleaning maybe?? Who really knows yet!
Honestly, I don't think I'll be convinced until they tell us/actually move. I do wish the phandom would be more opened to those with the 'maybe they aren't moving' ideas though. Every time I see people make the same arguments, they're told to be quite and they're wrong because moving is so 100% confirmed when it actually hasn't been confirmed by ether of them literally(as in them saying "we're moving" or actually being in a new place)?? I do understand why one might assume they are moving, like with this example and a few others. It is kinda interesting, I'll admit that. But also, no one is right or wrong yet?? You can argue with the fact it's not 100% true or 100% no true because nobody actually knows until they actually move or no move/just tell us?? It's not a big deal, I know but I'm kinda tired of seeing people having their opinion shut down because of many think something's happening 100% when it's really a 50/50 split for now?
Maybe it's just me but I find it a bit strange no ones mentioned anything about seeing them actually move and all? I mean the phandom is literally everywhere, why hasn't anyone noticed things being moved out, if they indeed have been moving things out?
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
gnostic
stress mushroom

confusedpanda wrote:
dianapml wrote: *disgustingly using my own tweet ups*

I'm still not personally convinced. Mostly because 1.) it's a different angle as dans head is blocking where those baskets are and the cabinet is closed 2.) maybe they're just moving things around in the house, spring cleaning maybe?? Who really knows yet!
Honestly, I don't think I'll be convinced until they tell us/actually move. I do wish the phandom would be more opened to those with the 'maybe they aren't moving' ideas though. Every time I see people make the same arguments, they're told to be quite and they're wrong because moving is so 100% confirmed when it actually hasn't been confirmed by ether of them literally(as in them saying "we're moving" or actually being in a new place)?? I do understand why one might assume they are moving, like with this example and a few others. It is kinda interesting, I'll admit that. But also, no one is right or wrong yet?? You can argue with the fact it's not 100% true or 100% no true because nobody actually knows until they actually move or no move/just tell us?? It's not a big deal, I know but I'm kinda tired of seeing people having their opinion shut down because of many think something's happening 100% when it's really a 50/50 split for now?
Maybe it's just me but I find it a bit strange no ones mentioned anything about seeing them actually move and all? I mean the phandom is literally everywhere, why hasn't anyone noticed things being moved out, if they indeed have been moving things out?
Hm... it's almost like... does it not remind you of something?.. nah i must be tripping
Just here for the marketing skills
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

confusedpanda wrote:I do wish the phandom would be more opened to those with the 'maybe they aren't moving' ideas though.
Ehh, fandom needs a bone to chew on. They need a mystery and a conspiracy to discuss, something to keep them occupied. There's no fun in well, maybe they aren't moving and nothing at all will change. There is fun and excitement in talking about what could be around the corner that we don't know about.

I haven't seen anyone shut down for expressing an opinion that they aren't moving, though. Particularly on this forum, everyone gets an equal chance to post and incite discussion. If more people on the forum are more interested in discussing the theory that they are, it still doesn't stop anyone from posting dissenting opinions - just as you did now. :)