Dan & Phil Part 42: lying makes you go to hell

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
thephandommenace
procrastinator
Pronouns: they/them

I liked Phil's line @1:55 about how both Jack and Rose would want him as their friend. Mark of Oxin flashbacks

So many fond looks and casual touches in this video.
lurker
janice from the shop

thephandommenace wrote:I liked Phil's line @1:55 about how both Jack and Rose would want him as their friend. Mark of Oxin flashbacks
rose, letting go of jack's and phil's hands: thank's you were great
thank's you were great
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

bc it seems relevant to the convo

gif credit
onetruetrash
blobfish

alittledizzy wrote:bc it seems relevant to the convo

gif credit
This is all I need to survive.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

I feel like he would have left his hand there longer, like maybe until Dan sat back up, but got self conscious.

Random question about the creep shot of them at the gardens with the camera: why do you think they were sitting so far apart? I think that's the farthest I've seen them sit away from each other since I've seen them in old vidcon vlogs.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
lost686girl
living flop

Susanisnotafish wrote:I feel like he would have left his hand there longer, like maybe until Dan sat back up, but got self conscious.

Random question about the creep shot of them at the gardens with the camera: why do you think they were sitting so far apart? I think that's the farthest I've seen them sit away from each other since I've seen them in old vidcon vlogs.
I got the sense that he would have rubbed his back too, but he decided not to and that's why his hand was there so long.

I'm not sure why they were far apart but phil showing some thigh sitting cross legged is what I need to survive
phanaconda
dank meme

2 minor deppy references on today's jacksfilms video.

1:25 and 2:35.

He seems to believe edgy teens watch deppy
Flomy
sofa crease

Susanisnotafish wrote: Random question about the creep shot of them at the gardens with the camera: why do you think they were sitting so far apart? I think that's the farthest I've seen them sit away from each other since I've seen them in old vidcon vlogs.
Maybe they sat opposite or next to each other but then Dan got all professional with his camera and needed to get the shot right so he changed his position?
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I've been at work all day so only just got time to watch, but I really enjoyed that video! I laughed the entire way throughout it! I found I struggled a tiny bit with the first one as Phil's moaning gave me secondhand embarrassment, but the singing was much easier to watch for me and it was just hilarious. I love the gaming channel because they're so entertaining when they don't take themselves seriously, this was such a nice little boost of lightheartedness, it was great
RiriPandaHeart2 wrote:Upon rewatch, there was a cute moment during Dan's diss track when Phil was mouthing "and by that I mean cringe". I dunno why I found that fascinating. But it's just heartwarming to think Phil knows the lyrics to Dan's Diss Track.
Yes, I noticed that too, it was adorable!!!
SexyTrashCan wrote:I found it weird that at 5:12 Phil said "This apartment". Odd phrasing
I don't think there's anything particularly odd about it tbh, for example if one of my family members was playing loud music all the time I would complain and probs say something along the lines of "[That music] is all I hear in this house!" - doesn't mean 'this house' as opposed to another house, it's just a turn of phrase. Or if I were to say "ugh this house is so messy", I'm not suggesting I also have another house that is clean, I'm just specifically referring to the house I'm in. Does that make sense? I feel like I worded that really badly, but hopefully the point still stands haha
Susanisnotafish wrote: Random question about the creep shot of them at the gardens with the camera: why do you think they were sitting so far apart? I think that's the farthest I've seen them sit away from each other since I've seen them in old vidcon vlogs.
I don't think there's a particularly deep reason for it. Presumably they didn't know they were being photographed, so it isn't because of an awareness of being filmed or an attempt to appear distant. I think that's just a natural way for two people to sit on the ground, I imagine it's kind of uncomfortable to be trying to take a photo and have someone breathing down your back haha. They aren't sitting that far apart, there's just a comfortable distance so that Dan can take the photo properly I think.
Last edited by captainspacecoat on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
vincentian
hobbit hair

I laughed too much at the 2nd Yasuhati vid, you can get abs workout if you watch both parts regularly. :D Got less second-hand embarrassment from it than from the first video. They probably do occasionally sing duets in their private time, their voices sounded quite melodic together (for like 3 seconds of actual singing of Toxic), but I'll gratefully take any video that involves them singing in any way.
To add to the trash moments, Dan slips while saying: "If I was on Titanic, and I heard someone singing it, I'd push YOU off". lol
momoroki
glabella

omg auri you have the same icon as my tumblr icon, and my url is aureleum so I got quite the shock welcome though! here's to classy names and even classier photos

that video! honestly i loved it so much i wouldn't mind if they did an entire series. i got halfway through before realising my headphones weren't connected so that was fun. i thought phil called dan "dad" at the beginning for a split second lmao. ALSO it may have been expected but that toxic rendition was the best thing ive ever heard. guess what my new alarm is m8erinos.

those instagram photos are actual art, im so in love with all these candid silhouette photos that they're taking. that professional camera gives me hope that they're vlogging this trip.

anyway, consider me . what a time to be in the phandom
blackdenim
procrastinator

This is related to something I was thinking about the other day: for those that believe they're together (I don't personally think they are but don't feel strongly either way so please don't take this as an 'attack'), why do you think there are no candid shots of them e.g. sitting in a romantic public place like those gardens cuddled up, or with a head on the other's shoulder, or walking around London holding hands? Those are natural things to do in public as a couple IMO.

Do you think perhaps fans have taken pictures or seen these moments and have decided not to share (because personally, I don't have that much faith in most people to think they wouldn't have it all over Tumblr immediately)? Or do you really think they're always so guarded/'on' to think that the Phandom might be watching to take a picture? And if so what a limiting way to live.

P.S. I know this could go the other way and you could (and people do) say 'well why has no one spotted them on a date with someone else in the last 7/8 years?' which is a fair point that I've also thought about. Either way I think it's interesting.
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

blackdenim wrote:
This is related to something I was thinking about the other day: for those that believe they're together (I don't personally think they are but don't feel strongly either way so please don't take this as an 'attack'), why do you think there are no candid shots of them e.g. sitting in a romantic public place like those gardens cuddled up, or with a head on the other's shoulder, or walking around London holding hands? Those are natural things to do in public as a couple IMO.

Do you think perhaps fans have taken pictures or seen these moments and have decided not to share (because personally, I don't have that much faith in most people to think they wouldn't have it all over Tumblr immediately)? Or do you really think they're always so guarded/'on' to think that the Phandom might be watching to take a picture? And if so what a limiting way to live.

P.S. I know this could go the other way and you could (and people do) say 'well why has no one spotted them on a date with someone else in the last 7/8 years?' which is a fair point that I've also thought about. Either way I think it's interesting.

well i imagine that (like you said), as they are obviously aware of their status as easily recognisable internet celebrities with a fanatical worldwide audience, they just wouldnt do things like that in public. either that or they might not be into public displays of affection
auri
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

haha, omg momoroki :D maybe i just fit in perfectly then.

Oh gosh i'm going to be so dissappointed if they don't film a ditl now i think Phil has said pretty recently in a ls that if he did something exciting, he'd vlog it? I think Singapore has been preeetty exciting for them? Not long ago I rewatched ditl Australia, Japan and the festive one and I really like them so.

I actually was surprised how well they can sing (together). Toxic wasn't that bad and I remember the first time i heard TIIH and was really happily surprised how good the singing was. Ah, singing boys am i right

blackdenim wrote:

this goes for why d&p aren't seem together and for why they haven't been seen with other people. maybe they are so aware of themselves that they can't be surprised? I mean. I am sure there are many celebrity relationships the public eye doesn't know about. bc it's none of our business, and the pr people are good at this kind of thing. I think it's important to remember that they did work for bbc for years and i'm pretty sure one can learn a thing or two from bbc about how to act outside of locked doors if you want to keep the fans and possible paparazzi away and the unwanted information to the minium. idk, they are good, they are celebrities for a certain amount of people and they are careful.

And not everyone is into PDA.

(I'm on my phone so sorry for possible typos hnn)
pilotlight
#relatable

blackdenim wrote:This is related to something I was thinking about the other day: for those that believe they're together (I don't personally think they are but don't feel strongly either way so please don't take this as an 'attack'), why do you think there are no candid shots of them e.g. sitting in a romantic public place like those gardens cuddled up, or with a head on the other's shoulder, or walking around London holding hands? Those are natural things to do in public as a couple IMO.

I don't really have a strong opinion either way on whether they're together or not, but when I was closeted I was always hyperaware of myself around others, especially in public. If they are together, it's not hard to get in the habit of being careful where others can see, but I completely agree that it's limiting. I found it exhausting, honestly, but (if they are together) they might not be bothered by it. Even now that I'm out, I don't think I'm ever really overtly affectionate in public (but it's nice to have the option to be if I wanted to!) You're right though, either way it's interesting to wonder about.
blackdenim
procrastinator

They are well known online and had a BBC radio show, but most people listened to that rather than watched it if they weren't already fans. So they're hardly worldwide recognisable celebrities: they don't have a huge PR team or team of handlers around them 24/7 (only when they're on tour and it's expected people will be looking for them, etc) to help 'hide' their relationship or any relationships with other people. In fact, it seems as though they've taken pains to make their lives as 'normal' as possible: so most of the time they're probably less recognisable on the street than someone from a reality show.

I get both your points auri and cherrybomb3 and I think that is the simplest (and probably therefore the most accurate) explanation, but I dunno, it still seems 'off' to me that they would be so hyper self-aware all the time, unless as pilotlight said, it's a byproduct of being closeted previously - which admittedly is something I didn't consider.

(I don't really know what point I'm trying to make at all please ignore me it seemed a lot more interesting/relevant in my head)
nephilimcat
woodland creature

blackdenim wrote:

When you are in a same-sex relationship, things are a bit different. A lot of same-sex couples don't walk around holding hands or cuddle in public places or are at least very careful when doing so!

Also, if you really want to keep your relationship secret but are popular and have stalkerish fans, why would you walk around like a couple would? Especially when your partner is with you almost all the time anyway. They can cuddle all they want at home and they can have nice dinner dates at fancy places without anyone knowing they're dates because friends go to dinner as well and fancy places are rarely filled with fans.

And then, not everyone feels the need to walk around holding hands or cuddle My parents sometimes do hold hands but it is definitely not something they do every time they leave the house and not even every time they go for a walk together. And they are neither a same-sex couple nor are they in any way famous. Might also be because they've been together for a very long time, but I'm just saying. I think there are a lot of happy couples who don't do typical couple things.

I'm a phanagnostic leaning strongly towards they're together and them not holding hands or something isn't one of the reasons I still doubt Phan at times. And as you said, nobody has seen them on dates with other people in all these years either.
pulvis et umbra sumus
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: Phan Trash

I think it's because Dan would feel really uncomfortable if Phil would sit so closely to him while setting up the camera. Besides, it's not that unusual.
blackdenim wrote: This is related to something I was thinking about the other day: for those that believe they're together (I don't personally think they are but don't feel strongly either way so please don't take this as an 'attack'), why do you think there are no candid shots of them e.g. sitting in a romantic public place like those gardens cuddled up, or with a head on the other's shoulder, or walking around London holding hands? Those are natural things to do in public as a couple IMO.

I just think they aren't into PDA. They probably tease each other in public like they do in videos, but they don't hold hands/kiss. They probably do it in private (assuming they're together), but chose not to do it in public. It's not only the Phandom that they have to worry about.
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon

blackdenim wrote:They are well known online and had a BBC radio show, but most people listened to that rather than watched it if they weren't already fans. So they're hardly worldwide recognisable celebrities: they don't have a huge PR team or team of handlers around them 24/7 (only when they're on tour and it's expected people will be looking for them, etc) to help 'hide' their relationship or any relationships with other people. In fact, it seems as though they've taken pains to make their lives as 'normal' as possible: so most of the time they're probably less recognisable on the street than someone from a reality show.

I get both your points auri and cherrybomb3 and I think that is the simplest (and probably therefore the most accurate) explanation, but I dunno, it still seems 'off' to me that they would be so hyper self-aware all the time, unless as pilotlight said, it's a byproduct of being closeted previously - which admittedly is something I didn't consider.

(I don't really know what point I'm trying to make at all please ignore me it seemed a lot more interesting/relevant in my head)

thing is, i think we all know well how secretive d&p are about their personal lives - whether it be about their families or the nature of their relationship. heck even less intense fans know 2012 as a meme pertaining to their convoluted and odd way of covering up certain aspects of their friendship/romantic relationship/whatever they have going on. the idea of them holding hands and skipping through london just doesnt fit with what we know of them imo

also whilst they may not be 'mainstream' celebrities as such, the likelihood is that they will be recognised in major cities, so its not too far fetched to assume that theyd adjust their behaviour accordingly
Birdie
blobfish

I'd like to second what pilotlight said. When I was closeted, I was afraid to hold any girl's hand in public because I was afraid people would somehow guess I was gay. If I'd had a girlfriend back then, I would absolutely not have been up for any kind of PDA. This kind of hyper-awareness is pretty normal for closeted people, I think. There's so much more at stake for same-sex couples, not just for closeted ones. You also never know what kind of person might see you and decide to harass you about it. Not saying it's true for D&P since I'm also mostly phanagnostic leaning towards them not being together, but them not displaying affection in public is not one of my reasons for not really believing in phan.

Yasuhati 2: I wanted to post about it yesterday already but all I could think of saying was how hilarious it was so I decided to wait until I had more to say. I loved it.
JustMe
living flop
Pronouns: She/her

blackdenim wrote:

Well there have been times they have been filmed touching/sitting very close at parties:
[tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/iVO ... 6092626756" data-did="acc65e6cf570d93464c65cf04ecedd19b725a25d">[/tumblr]
I'm not saying these instances prove they are together, but if they are, I think these instances could have been a strong reminder for them not to be touchy in public. I also feel they are generally not into PDA. I can't imagine them suddenly holding hands/kissing in public if they ever confirm their relationship.
~ I'll be bold as well as strong and use my head alongside my heart ~
fondsmiles
phabergé

Adding to the being openly in a relationship in public stuff: For the first three years of my relationship with my girlfriend we weren't out to her family, and in the very beginning also very very careful in public, so we never did anything that was specifically couple-y in front of them (like hand holding or kissing or saying pet names), but the amount of care and fondness we felt for each other was probably still very obvious. Similar to what it's like with d&p; you can clearly see how much they care about each other, but they're not labelling it to us by words or by definite actions.
(They only seem to open up more and more. Like me and my girlfriend when we just stopped caring )

also, more aesthetically pleasing silhouette pics. they seem to be very into them (and so am I):
[x]
[x]
bantstrash
delia smith

Just to weigh in on the PDA discussion. I hate PDA. I feel really uncomfortable seeing people kissing or the worst hands in each others back pockets :-? (btw this is always hets, I never see same sex couples doing anything more than holding hands). I know these are my issues but you would never see me doing anything other than hand holding and that would be *rare* so it's not unusual for me that noone would have seen them doing any of this.
malday
emo goose

I agree with what others have said about closeted couples.
And i'd like to add no matter how open-minded you think a society is, a gay couple displaying PDA would still get strange looks and unwanted (possibly negative) attention, especially two tall guys like them.
And why would they risk it in a public place in a foreign country? (for the garden place they knew fans were around and everybody had cameras).

Considering how much fans freakout over even the illusion of their hands touching, or "kissing" at a party, and over Dan having his arm on Phil's waist at that 2009 halloween gathering, i think they've learned a lesson and just don't want to do any of that in an uncontrolled environment. I think they hate the overreaction it would cause too.
anime_is_not_cool
living flop

nephilimcat wrote:
blackdenim wrote:

When you are in a same-sex relationship, things are a bit different. A lot of same-sex couples don't walk around holding hands or cuddle in public places or are at least very careful when doing so!
This. I'd also been wondering the same thing, but then I realized: how many gay couples have you seen in public? I think I once saw 2 girls standing kinda close and one of them had Tom Of Finland -bag with her, that's it. On the internet (tumblr..) you can often forget what the world actually is like for LGBT+ people. And if it's two men, PDA could even be dangerous. Add some stalking fans and not wanting to make your love life public / your career to centre around it, and boom, couldn't even imagine PDA in that situation. (but I'm not sure how it is in other countries, I think mine is kinda in the middle on the gay friendly -scale, could be easier in GB/London ?)
EDIT: ..and about million people were faster than me, agree with you all!