Dan & Phil Part 43: I'll touch you when I please

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
llion
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

sans wrote:I'm super new to the phandom so excuse me if this seems crazy but would it be the end of the world if they--just-- said the truth? IF they are together, all this charade and covering up and vagueness just seems like a burden for them. I feel like since they've already done the whole 'no homo' 2012 thing they are in too deep to just come out and say that they are together, and it would imply that they gasp lied to their audience but wouldn't their life be so much simpler? Then they could push the whole phan thing to the side and concentrate on being creative and making content.

That's ofc making a bunch of assumptions about them, and I do think they are 100% entitled to their privacy and might have other reasons to keep the nature of their relationship as vague as possible but sometimes I can't help but feel that hey must be paranoid all the time

Anyhow, I just want them to be relaxed and feel safe in their own home, so if this whatever it is they are doing, staged bedrooms or not is how they achieve that, I'm on board

I'm rambling again, excuse me
i can totally see your point, and that does make sense, when you don't fully consider the nature of their audience. when you see how people act now, about every single moment and touch and move they make, i can't imagine how far people would go if it were confirmed. all anyone (as an estimated whole, not literally) would care about anymore would be the relationship, not simply dan and phil.

instead of just yelling about a hand touch, they'd be constantly asking for more "phan moments" little lovey dovey words, touches, kisses, etc. "boyfriend tag! real backstory!" instead of theorizing when they touched, there'd be theories about when they didn't-- was there a falling out? are they going to break up? dan's also touched on how awkward it is when youtube couples break up in the past, and i can't help but keep that in the back of my head. if (god forbid) something ever did happen, it would be a lot harder to soften the blow of "we're breaking up" after they finally told us everything, rather than pretending it's just a natural distancing of friends as people do. (leaving the assumption to be either "they broke up" for super phans or simply "they never were" for non-believers. both being rough guesses without any real clarity, and heartbreaking all the same because of their bond)

i think, after they saw how people acted when it was lowkey but not necessarily hidden, in the beginning, they got a lot more cautious to make sure they were still seen as separate people and not only watched because of a relationship. they know that we would be accepting, but they've already witnessed that we can be too accepting, ala 2012 dan answering asks about how their "relationship" is okay whether they're together or not. we are a nosy and intrusive fandom, and they are very aware of this.

the short answer is, they don't want it to define them. whether they're together or not, is still currently a hypothetical, and i think that's probably safer for them in the end.

EDIT: and my giant rambling rant is at the top of a page (help me jesus)
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
sans
delia smith
Pronouns: him/they

llion wrote:
sans wrote:I'm super new to the phandom so excuse me if this seems crazy but would it be the end of the world if they--just-- said the truth? IF they are together, all this charade and covering up and vagueness just seems like a burden for them. I feel like since they've already done the whole 'no homo' 2012 thing they are in too deep to just come out and say that they are together, and it would imply that they gasp lied to their audience but wouldn't their life be so much simpler? Then they could push the whole phan thing to the side and concentrate on being creative and making content.

That's ofc making a bunch of assumptions about them, and I do think they are 100% entitled to their privacy and might have other reasons to keep the nature of their relationship as vague as possible but sometimes I can't help but feel that hey must be paranoid all the time

Anyhow, I just want them to be relaxed and feel safe in their own home, so if this whatever it is they are doing, staged bedrooms or not is how they achieve that, I'm on board

I'm rambling again, excuse me
i can totally see your point, and that does make sense, when you don't fully consider the nature of their audience. when you see how people act now, about every single moment and touch and move they make, i can't imagine how far people would go if it were confirmed. all anyone (as an estimated whole, not literally) would care about anymore would be the relationship, not simply dan and phil.

instead of just yelling about a hand touch, they'd be constantly asking for more "phan moments" little lovey dovey words, touches, kisses, etc. "boyfriend tag! real backstory!" instead of theorizing when they touched, there'd be theories about when they didn't-- was there a falling out? are they going to break up? dan's also touched on how awkward it is when youtube couples break up in the past, and i can't help but keep that in the back of my head. if (god forbid) something ever did happen, it would be a lot harder to soften the blow of "we're breaking up" after they finally told us everything, rather than pretending it's just a natural distancing of friends as people do. (leaving the assumption to be either "they broke up" for super phans or simply "they never were" for non-believers. both being rough guesses without any real clarity, and heartbreaking all the same because of their bond)

i think, after they saw how people acted when it was lowkey but not necessarily hidden, in the beginning, they got a lot more cautious to make sure they were still seen as separate people and not only watched because of a relationship. they know that we would be accepting, but they've already witnessed that we can be too accepting, ala 2012 dan answering asks about how their "relationship" is okay whether they're together or not. we are a nosy and intrusive fandom, and they are very aware of this.

the short answer is, they don't want it to define them. whether they're together or not, is still currently a hypothetical, and i think that's probably safer for them in the end.

EDIT: and my giant rambling rant is at the top of a page (help me jesus)
Ugh, I totally didn't consider that. I just assumed once their relationship was confirmed, the hype would eventually die down, but thinking about other Youtube couples, yeah, the drama surrounding the relationships is really intense. And D&P have always done a good job keeping themselves away from drama; just thinking about any of them making a "we broke up" video gives me real bad vibes :?

Well, they seem happy like this, so I'm glad they are making changes for the sake of their privacy

Thanks for your take on this!
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I took Dan's moon theme as just his description of everything being silver. The only silver things before were the mirror, which I love, and the round chair. Maybe he's bought a new wardrobe, dresser and bedside tables along with the bed (but if the bed's white, how much is silver and how much is also white?) I'm guessing the floating bed is the first design everyone's been posting, but who knows.

I think them referring to the gaming room as a bedroom was just that the room's default use is a bedroom, but they have enough so they turned it into a gaming channel office, it doesn't necessarily have a bed in it, though it could still be doubling as the guest room with a sofa bed. I don't know how often they have guests that they'd pay however much extra for one more room, but
kalli
butt chair

Wow, you can tell this have been an eventful couple of days since we've almost reached 40 pages on this thread already.

The first thing that crossed my mind is that "Dan's bedroom" is their master bedroom and "Phil's bedroom" is just a set which can double as a room for guests, and it seems to be a pretty strong theory judging by the amount of people who have said the same thing. The rooms being on different floors, Phil using the same bedding (for branding), keeping the upstairs bedroom private, etc. all seems to make sense with that being a shared room. It keeps up the image of having separate bedrooms (since I can't imagine anyone viewing a shared bedroom as a platonic thing), neither of them would have to deal with camera equipment in their bedrooms anymore (which at least Dan seems to have strongly disliked, but I can't imagine Phil actually liking it either) and they'll each have their own comfortable places to work, film and relax separately whenever they please, so it seems like the perfect scenario

At first I was a little confused by them renting since I had myself convinced they would buy, but it makes a lot more sense now that I've given it some thought. Well, not financially, only because it's temporary. They don't exactly need their forever home yet, but they evidently wanted to leave the old apartment for many reasons, so they needed an in between. At this point in time, I don't doubt that people will figure out where they live eventually, which doesn't seem ideal for a place they want to make their forever home. So in however many years when they're ready for that dog (and probably a family too) and possibly when their popularity has decreased a bit (depending on how long temporary is), they'll be able to buy a place where they can live comfortably for many years to come.

Just for the fun of it because I'm not sure we'll ever have a complete answer, any ideas how the layout goes? I feel like the most likely layout given what they've told us would be secondary lounge, 3 bedrooms (for the gaming channel room/office, Dan's filming room and Phil's room), probably a bathroom and maybe a laundry room downstairs, and then the upstairs would have Dan's room (/the master bedroom) which I envision to have a walk-in closet and an en suite, the kitchen and dining room, the main lounge and likely another bathroom since it looks quite modern and modern houses seem to have a lot of bathrooms for whatever reason. Most importantly, there is probably plenty of storage on both levels

Although upon rewatch, I'm wondering if it's actually mainly on one floor with a loft for the master bedroom or something. Dan gives a questioning response to Phil saying it's a duplex (@5:06) and he explains it as "it has stairs" which prompts Dan to talk about how the layout doesn't make any sense, and everything being on one floor makes confusing. Or could it be two floors and a loft, and the layout is simply a bit odd? Maybe it has weird uneven levels between two main levels? Who knows.

I think the bigger part of me is saying I hope they keep a portion of their home private because I'd want the same thing if I were in their position, but I'm also so curious and I would be down for a house tour in a heartbeat. Conflicted feelings.
sans
delia smith
Pronouns: him/they

kalli wrote:
Although upon rewatch, I'm wondering if it's actually mainly on one floor with a loft for the master bedroom or something. Dan gives a questioning response to Phil saying it's a duplex (@5:06) and he explains it as "it has stairs" which prompts Dan to talk about how the layout doesn't make any sense, and everything being on one floor makes confusing. Or could it be two floors and a loft, and the layout is simply a bit odd? Maybe it has weird uneven levels between two main levels? Who knows.
At one point in the ls they talked about the gaming room being "there" and pointed somewhere, implying that they could see it from where they are sitting or something, didn't they? am I going crazy?

I have no idea how Duplex apartments work ??
DatCog
blobfish

I'm completely baffled by the implied layout of their new flat! Duplex would suggest a self contained apartment over 2 floors but they were saying it had more stairs and was more complicated than their old place (which had rooms on at least 3 levels). All we can tell for sure is that the 'snug' and the adjoining room with the DINOF corner are on the same level and that upstairs has 'Dan's' bedroom and another lounge. They said that they'd only be filming on the lower floor so the DAPG office/bedroom and 'Phil's' bedroom must therefore be on that level too. Where is the kitchen? If the DINOF room is considered a dining room, then the kitchen is probably next to it. The snug could be part of the kitchen - Louise's new house has a snug area in her kitchen!

Their new flat is unusual and part of me desperately needs to know the layout as it's taking up too much of my brain trying to figure it out!!
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

...and here's little me being confused by them using the word 'duplex', when I have always known it to mean a single house with two sides, one for each house (so they're usually a mirror image of each other). Then I looked it up and found there are at least three different meanings.
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

i haven't read the last two pages yet, so forgive me if someone else said that already, but i quickly wanted to respond to what rizzo wrote:
rizzo wrote:For one.... renting?!?! My rage is sky-high. If they're actually renting again and aren't just lying to cover up the fact that buying symbolizes a deeper commitment, I s2g I'm gonna have to unstan for a hot moment. These guys are loaded. They could afford to purchase a nice place and not throw their money down the drain. This is so disappointing on purely a financial level. I hope 1 of 2 things is happening - 1) They're lying. or 2) This is transitional (to that eventual house purchase) for just a couple years. Because wowee, what a waste of hard-earned cash.
i do think it's a realistic possibility that they're not telling the truth about renting. on one hand, in order to keep people from expecting them to live in this apartment forever and ward off the questions that'd inevitably follow if people thought they'd "reached that milestone" (when are you getting a dog, etc.). on the other, maybe they'd simply think saying "we just bought this little apartment for a few million pounds which wasn't too bad and after all we'll be getting it all back lol" would be ~alienating from their audience~. to say "we're still renting" and meaning "we haven't bought the apartment permanently" might seem reasonable then.

tl;dr, i'm at it again with the wild speculations and now back to working.
thank's you were great
MaggieW
glabella

I think the DAPG room is next to the lounge? (the one with the old sofa) At least in the liveshow they pointed to their right when asked about where it is.

I also think the kitchen might be next to the dining room/dan's area for his videos. I mean, it makes sense for a kitchen to be on the lower floor (?)

So, upstairs... dan's room, the other lounge, maybe a bathroom? I like the idea of a walk-in closet too hahaha
spider
ar·tic·u·late

snokoplasm wrote:the stuttering before "when a house is bought i guess" came off like he was buying time to choose his words. it appeared as if he was implying that they wouldn't buy a house together?
He was trying not to confirm they will buy a house together. They are not ready yet to say 'when we buy a house' so he said 'when a house is bought'. It was not a denial but it was avoiding confirmation.
awsugar wrote:alright, so after watching the 'forever home' bit, i'm not sure how to feel.
dan's reaction to the 'congratulations, you two' comment and following it up with 'it's not a forever home'/the way he said it seemed very...no phano to me.
'It's not a forever home' was a reaction to 'congratulations' because usually people congratulate about buying a home. After that they explained they are still renting. It did not have to do with phan but with the congratulations.
awsugar wrote:that and the continuing of the separate bedrooms rhetoric have me actually less excited about this liveshow than pretty much anyone else i've seen.
It is interesting because they confirmed they will have separate rooms but if you pay attention you can notice they did not say anything to even imply sleeping apart. Twice Phil talked about sleeping comfortably because of no drilling and Dan was silent and did not make comments or jokes like usual. They also talked about Dan's moon bed but Phil did not talk about how comfortable or not ugly his own new not wicker bed is. If I had to sleep in that ugly giant basket for 5 years and complained about it until the day I moved out you can bet I would brag about sleeping in my new pretty bed. Phil did not.
llion wrote:i can totally see your point, and that does make sense, when you don't fully consider the nature of their audience. when you see how people act now, about every single moment and touch and move they make, i can't imagine how far people would go if it were confirmed. all anyone (as an estimated whole, not literally) would care about anymore would be the relationship, not simply dan and phil.

It is funny because their relationship already defines them. They made it so it is a platonic friend image business relationship but they are literally 'Dan & Phil'. Their publisher gift to them was a big '&' sign that they can hold between them. All of their big fans who give money to meet them and buy their products care about their relationship. Even though I agree with you I also think it will be easier for them and us when they do not have to be so careful what they say any more like Dan choosing his words for 'when a house is bought'.
JustMe
living flop
Pronouns: She/her

Aw
~ I'll be bold as well as strong and use my head alongside my heart ~
Birdie
blobfish

lurker wrote:i haven't read the last two pages yet, so forgive me if someone else said that already, but i quickly wanted to respond to what rizzo wrote:
rizzo wrote:For one.... renting?!?! My rage is sky-high. If they're actually renting again and aren't just lying to cover up the fact that buying symbolizes a deeper commitment, I s2g I'm gonna have to unstan for a hot moment. These guys are loaded. They could afford to purchase a nice place and not throw their money down the drain. This is so disappointing on purely a financial level. I hope 1 of 2 things is happening - 1) They're lying. or 2) This is transitional (to that eventual house purchase) for just a couple years. Because wowee, what a waste of hard-earned cash.
i do think it's a realistic possibility that they're not telling the truth about renting. on one hand, in order to keep people from expecting them to live in this apartment forever and ward off the questions that'd inevitably follow if people thought they'd "reached that milestone" (when are you getting a dog, etc.). on the other, maybe they'd simply think saying "we just bought this little apartment for a few million pounds which wasn't too bad and after all we'll be getting it all back lol" would be ~alienating from their audience~. to say "we're still renting" and meaning "we haven't bought the apartment permanently" might seem reasonable then.

tl;dr, i'm at it again with the wild speculations and now back to working.
I think we've discussed this before but please keep the ridiculous house prices in London in mind when discussing this. I think they're renting because even for them buying a house is still an utopic fantasy. I saw an article the other day that average rent prices in London now exceed the average person's monthly income (ca. £2.500) so if renting is already hella expensive, you can imagine what buying a flat, let alone a house in central London would cost. I honestly don't think deppy have that kind of money or that if they do, they can't spend it all at once. I mean, we're talking ~10 million pounds here. It's probably still too big of an expense for them to spend that kind of money all at once.
lurker
janice from the shop

Katka wrote:I think we've discussed this before but please keep the ridiculous house prices in London in mind when discussing this. I think they're renting because even for them buying a house is still an utopic fantasy. I saw an article the other day that average rent prices in London now exceed the average person's monthly income (ca. £2.500) so if renting is already hella expensive, you can imagine what buying a flat, let alone a house in central London would cost. I honestly don't think deppy have that kind of money or that if they do, they can't spend it all at once. I mean, we're talking ~10 million pounds here. It's probably still too big of an expense for them to spend that kind of money all at once.

i totally didn't think it'd be that expensive, jesus christ. maybe the "forever home" won't be in london then. :wtf:
thank's you were great
felucca
truth bomb

felucca wrote:I absolutely demand #relatable videos about the hardships of moving.
Hey, thanks for the tweets and liveshow, guys.

My feelings on the subject of them still renting though:

Either they're financially stupid
OR they're not planning to live there long enough for it to be a sound investment
OR they simply can't be bothered to deal with buying/owning/selling just yet in their lives
OR they're lying to avoid questions and people jumping to conclusions and badgering them about a dog.

Option 2 + 3 being the most likely combination, I think? As Katka points out buying in London is hella expensive. You'll most likely get your money back + more upon selling (hence good investment) but at the same time you risk losing a lot of money if the real estate bubble bursts, and it's always a bit of a hassle to buy/sell and own property that you need to take care of. If you're not up for that hassle I can see why you'd pick renting. Renting might cost you more in the long run (but that's a big "might", everything in a house can break) and it's very stress free and low-maintenance and it doesn't require you to commit to shit. I recently moved to a house after years of renting and I'm feeling all like "wait something broke... I HAVE TO FIX IT AND PAY FOR IT MYSELF???"

Anyway. I had hoped for a bigger change but I'm still looking forward to hearing about living in a new place and seeing videos filmed in ~new locations~, oooooh, that'll be a nice change.
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
blackdenim
procrastinator

Buying in London is expensive, but not like £10million expensive unless you want a super swanky, super central London penthouse apartment decorated to Donald Trump's standards.

They could get a big enough for them + a dog house with a garden, in the area they were living before or many other similar areas for about £2million (which is still loads but probably still affordable for them).

There are loads of legit reasons for them still to be renting: might not have been able to get a mortgage because they're self-employed (I feel you boys, if that's the case), they might want to save up more of a deposit so they don't have unreasonable monthly repayments (in case Youtube ever dries up and their income goes down). They might have had everything in place to buy and it fell through (that could have been Dan's 'ask me in 5 months') due to a chain or a dodgy survey or a million other things. They might not have been able to find anything they liked and could afford.

They might want to eventually buy separately, but not for a few more years.

Personally I don't think renting is as financially irresponsible as everyone else thinks. It's more financially irresponsible to buy a house you can't really afford and end up with a mortgage you might not be able to pay off in a few years' time. Or go for a high interest rate because you're finding it hard to get approved for a mortgage at all.
Ashling Rae
*editing tips*

JustMe wrote:Aw
Phil has to be like Image right now.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Living in Australia and working all day means I only just got time to watch the liveshow, but wow that was so enjoyable and one of my favourites they've ever done. I admit I was kind of tentative to watch it, just because these last few days have been so lovely and exciting and I was terrified that all would shatter. It was great though, I thought they came across so genuinely happy and giddy and excited for their new place! Plus their anecdotes about Singapore and Australia were so great - maybe I'm biased but the couple vibes were strong.

Surprisingly the bit when they were talking about their time at the night safari was one of my favourites, just because I love it when they tell stories that remind me of just how long they've known each other and how much time they spend with each other (Phil saying how Dan always wants to see everything at the zoo and Dan saying how Phil freaked out about the elephant). Also I'm ashamed at how happy I got when Dan said that Melbourne is cool and artsy, thanks Dan

re: "this isn't a forever home" and "when a house is bought" - I agree that Dan kept that wording purposefully vague, but I definitely didn't read those quotes as a denial of phan or anything. I don't think it's possible to conclusively interpret them either way, but to me "this isn't a forever home" implies that one day the two of them will have a forever home just this is not it, and "when a house is bought" to mean that one day a house will be bought presumably by the two of them. I fully recognise that that may be an optimistic interpretation on my part, but that's how it came across to me.

re: the layout of the house and privacy etc - I admit there's a selfish part of me that's like 'god damn it I'm so curious' but I recognise that that's entirely unfair and self-serving of me, and I'm so happy for them that they'll get to pick and choose exactly what they share with us, meaning that they'll get to have a space that's just for them. I have no idea what a duplex is though, wikipedia tells me that in the UK it means a double-story (or split-level) apartment? The way they talked about it made me feel like it might be a sort of mezzanine deal, with most of the apartment on the bottom floor and a master-bedroom, bathroom and a living space upstairs maybe? Who knows though
blackdenim wrote:
Personally I don't think renting is as financially irresponsible as everyone else thinks. It's more financially irresponsible to buy a house you can't really afford and end up with a mortgage you might not be able to pay off in a few years' time. Or go for a high interest rate because you're finding it hard to get approved for a mortgage at all.
Came here to say exactly the same thing! Maybe I'm just really naive about this sort of thing, but I don't think it's fair to say that renting is financially irresponsible. My parents have been together for 30+ years and have rented the entire time (granted, dnp definitely have a lot more money than my parents ever have), there's no timeline by which you need to have bought a house and if it's not the right time for you then I don't see the point in committing to buying a house. Maybe they just haven't found the right house yet, or didn't feel like it's the right time for them to buy but desperately needed more space so found somewhere to rent in the meantime. Their reasoning behind it is none of our business, but I don't think it was financially irresponsible of them.
malday
emo goose

i don't understand this. is she trying to make sure Jon doesn't make a song making fun of the phandom, or something?

edit: this idiot really needed to chime in, didn't he:

About still renting: i think Phil said in one of the gaming videos (don't remember which), "maybe i'll build a house".
I mean, if you're going to invest money in something, why not have it tailored to your needs.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

malday wrote:
i don't understand this. is she trying to make sure Jon doesn't make a song making fun of the phandom, or something?

edit: this idiot really needed to chime in, didn't he:

About still renting: i think Phil said in one of the gaming videos (don't remember which), "maybe i'll build a house".
I mean, if you're going to invest money in something, why not have it tailored to your needs.
I'm confused about this whole Jon Cozart thing but thought that Cornelia's reply was cute, and am not surprised at all that Evan had to chime in.

I am all here for Dan and Phil starting from scratch and building their own .
Birdie
blobfish

blackdenim wrote:Buying in London is expensive, but not like £10million expensive unless you want a super swanky, super central London penthouse apartment decorated to Donald Trump's standards.

They could get a big enough for them + a dog house with a garden, in the area they were living before or many other similar areas for about £2million (which is still loads but probably still affordable for them).
Whoops, true. I did check rightmove to be sure of what I'm saying here but I was looking in Central London which might explain why I found all these small terraced houses for more than £7 million. North London is less expensive, between £2 million and £4 million. That's still a lot of money to spend all at once though and as felucca pointed out, they'd also have to pay maintenance themselves and I can imagine them not wanting that kind of responsibility. Imagine another gas leak without a landlord around to get it fixed.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

papierklemmen wrote:
pearshaped34 wrote:Anyone else want to die of cringe when Dan was addressing the audience about how them moving was a bigger deal for *us* than them. It was just so very cringe to me that he genuinely think we are all so obsessed with them that them moving house is going to be on upheaval to our lives. Like don't get me wrong I am undeniably invested in them but for me that translates into being happy for them that they have a new home and also pleased for myself there is going to be new backgrounds in videos as I did get sick of looking at their old rooms. I certainly don't feel like this is a big change for me personally though or that it's something that would have caused any kind of emotional turmoil for me if it had just been sprung on me.
lmao did he lie tho? maybe not you, but a large chunk of the phandom lost their shit with the announcement, stressing how meaningful the move is. a lot of people (some even here) admitted that they live vicariously through deppy, and even before d&p properly explained what the set up is (aka renting, apartment) people were dreaming up plans about their future dogs and children and gardens like they were talking about their own barbie dream house. idk maybe someone thinks it counts as just being "happy for them" whereas to him it might look like fans being overinvested in their lives. so he might he a condescending asshole, but he's not that far off the truth.
See I can get the TV analogy he made because people are invested in them like they are their favourite TV characters and as such have hopes and dreams for their lives and like to discuss things like their motivations for doing things etc. And yes I get that this is admittedly creepy when it's about real life people (particularly if you are the real person in question).

That being said while I totally get that part and understand why Dan would feel like his audience is unhealthily invested in him (and Phil) I'm not sure how he (or you) got from there to thinking them moving was going to be a big traumatic upheaval in their audiences lives. Even using the TV analogy does this make sense? TV shows get rid of established sets all the time (particularly crime or action shows where they like to blow them up/burn them down) and is it typical for anyone to feel more than superficial feelings about the affect of losing that set? I honestly don't think 99.9% of people are that invested in their favourite TV shows or D&P.

Maybe I'm completely underestimating how invested the majority of people are here but I genuinely believe people having wishes for their new home or saying they feel happy or sad about it doesn't mean it's a big deal to their own personal lives. I'm not saying no one is invested to that level but I personally expect it to be a small minority.

So yeah I do think Dan is far off the truth as I don't think anywhere near the 20K(ish) people who watch liveshows live feel this invested in them nor do I think the 100K+ who will watch it back on youtube are either.
Last edited by pearshaped34 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

SquishPhan wrote: I'm confused about this whole Jon Cozart thing but thought that Cornelia's reply was cute, and am not surprised at all that Evan had to chime in.
Me too tbh. He says "phandom timeline" not "phan timeline", so I presume he's talking specifically about the phenomenon that is 'Dan and Phil™' and not their potential relationship. It's always cringeworthy when other youtubers cash in on dnp's popularity, especially when it's done in such a way where the youtuber in question pretends like they're down with the kids when really it's just a blatant cash grab. I wonder what his purpose is though? Is he actually planning on making a song about the phandom (which I imagine would end up being really cringy and embarrassing), or is it just out of genuine curiosity? Still weird and rubs me the wrong way. I thought Cornelia's response was innocuous though, she was just being sentimental/proud about dnp's impact I think.
blackdenim
procrastinator

Katka wrote:
blackdenim wrote:Buying in London is expensive, but not like £10million expensive unless you want a super swanky, super central London penthouse apartment decorated to Donald Trump's standards.

Whoops, true. I did check rightmove to be sure of what I'm saying here but I was looking in Central London which might explain why I found all these small terraced houses for more than £7 million. North London is less expensive, between £2 million and £4 million. That's still a lot of money to spend all at once though and as felucca pointed out, they'd also have to pay maintenance themselves and I can imagine them not wanting that kind of responsibility. Imagine another gas leak without a landlord around to get it fixed.
Yes that's another reason I thought they might not be ready to buy yet! Imagine them calling plumbers and stuff haha.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I'm converted now because 3 days ago I was saying if they said they were still renting I would go back to thinking they weren't together but actually... here I am coming up with (feasible!) reasons for them to be renting again.
autumnhearth
senpai

Ooo build a house! I like that theory, but goodness I imagine that would be incredibly expensive in the greater London area. But I'm all for them getting out of the city when they are ready. I imagine they'll stay in the duplex for 2-3 years, 5 tops. Because apparently the idea of renting the old place for five years was "disgusting" to Dan (though I realize some of this probably had to do with the apartment itself).

Answer and question on the layout. Answer: Phil definitely touched the wall next to the sofa to indicate the gaming room, so I do think it is just on the other side. When he panned the camera to show Iron Man, the Hulk and a bit of house plant there was a change in the wall, it came out a bit like a flattened pillar (I'm sure there is a much better way to describe this) that implied a gap for a hallway just beyond. Question: When did they say Dan's filming space was the dining room? I watched the ls again last night on my tv and I didn't catch that. Also I don't think it was ever stated that Dan's bed was round. Just that the room felt like the moon and it was a white floating bed.

Lol "Love Shack" someone on either YT comment or Tumblr referee the old place as "the phlat" and this as "the duphlex" though that changes the pronunciation, it does imply flexibility ;)

All the curiousity about house layout speculation aside, I agree that my favorite part of the ls was them talking about Singapore. That made me feel very happy and I know need to watch that documentary that features it. Emotional Dan on vacation makes me happy.

(Also I introduced my ex-girlfriend to D&P. She loves their chemistry and has subscribed. It makes me happy to imagine her and her wife watching them together. Yay conversion!)
Ashling Rae
*editing tips*

I'm just going to use this forum as an avenue to voice an opinion I never have before, surrounding Dan and Phil getting a dog..

It seems like so many people are pressuring them to get a dog (regardless of where they live) and they're probably doing so jokingly, but they have so many good reasons to not get a dog also. And those reasons are us, essentially. The phandom understands what goes into owning a dog, right? They're much different than a cat. It's not like they could travel and just have Martyn stop in once a day to feed it and clean a litter box. If Dan and Phil do get a dog, that would mean they would not be free to travel as much as they do now. They would have to turn down events, we'd have fewer meet and greets, fewer vacations for them to post about. If you own a dog, you can't just jet set across the world and stick around for weeks on end. Sure, it could stay with a family member or it can be kenneled for a time, but that's not something they would want to do to their pet all the time. I'm definitely in team don't-rush-to-get-a-dog-until-their-careers-slow-down.